Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E25: Guantánamo Bay

• Start Topic

I thought JO hit all the notes about what-all has pissed me off about the Access Hollywood tape and aftermath. Not the least of which was tagging the execrable Billy Bush for, well, everything.  Too bad the announcement of his suspension from the Today show happened too late to be included.

eta: Oh, yeah, and how awesome does Col. Wilkerson continue to be? "I'm not a coward!" 

Edited by attica
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I was glad John pointed out the fallacy of having to quantify "I have a wife/daughter/mother." It implies this level of ownership that's also part of the problem. I'm not married or have kids, but I'm still capable of treating women properly. 

It's always seemed to me that one of the things John Oliver's comic worldview shares with Jon Stewart's is a frustration with the idea that issues only matter if they affect you personally in some way or you can find some connection to you and otherwise you can disregard mounds and mounds of evidence, blame the victim, etc.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, attica said:

Oh, yeah, and how awesome does Col. Wilkerson continue to be? "I'm not a coward!" 

Sorry, I did not find it awesome in the least.  Sure, you're not a coward and wouldn't hesitate to face them on the battlefield (or whatever term he used).  The problem is that you, Col., wouldn't be facing them on a battlefield, it would be first responders dealing with the civilian bombing victims.  The are not in Gitmo because they are enemy soldiers, they don't fight battles, that's why they are terrorists.

I am as liberal as they come, and that I am appalled at the prospect of a Trump (or, indeed, Republican) presidency goes without saying.  I don't believe they should close Gitmo, though, because there really isn't any alternative.  Transferring them to US soil only makes us even more of a target, at  least in Cuba the site is securable.  They're not US citizens, so the Constitution doesn't apply.

I did love John's points about the sex tape (ha ha), as well as the stuff on Billy Bush.  I had never heard of him, and wished I was still blissfully ignorant of what an ass he is.

Agree about the beautiful cat, but the deer looked pretty good, too. 

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM, ganesh said:

I was glad John pointed out the fallacy of having to quantify "I have a wife/daughter/mother." It implies this level of ownership that's also part of the problem. I'm not married or have kids, but I'm still capable of treating women properly. 

I wished he used someone other than Sen. Lee, though.

Sen. Lee has never endorsed Drumpf (neither has Kasich), and in fact, has been trying to replace him on the ticket since before the RNC. 

I think anyone who used the "have a daughter/mother/whatever" structure in response is fair game here. That type of reply, even from someone who has always opposed Trump, is still well worthy of criticism in my opinion. 

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 10

The best part of the Drumph evisceration was the entire FUCK YOU BILLY BUSH theme of the night. I didn't think that much of the little weasel, but his entire Chester character to Drumph's Spike was disgusting. Singling him out in those two segues only highlighted his sickening outlook.

I'd keep Guantanamo Bay open if only to lock away POS traitors like Tom Cotton.

A week after Billy Bush was first suspended from the Today show, it seems the network’s review is over and its negotiations with the former third-hour host is complete. The result, according to a statement that went out to Today staff members on Monday, “Billy Bush will be leaving the Today show’s 9 a.m. hour, effective today.”

One of the subjects of the review and subsequent negotiations was when, exactly, Bush told fellow NBC employees about the conversation with Trump—and whom he told. And on Thursday, Bush’s attorney Marshall Grossman, told The Hollywood Reporter that, given his position as an NBC host interviewing an NBC star, Bush had no choice but to egg Trump on.

"If Billy had been passive or responded 'Shut the f— up' to Trump, Billy would have been out of a job the next day," Grossman told T.H.R.

NBC and Billy Bush Settle, Part Ways: Read the Statements

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OneWhoLurks said:

One of the subjects of the review and subsequent negotiations was when, exactly, Bush told fellow NBC employees about the conversation with Trump—and whom he told. And on Thursday, Bush’s attorney Marshall Grossman, told The Hollywood Reporter that, given his position as an NBC host interviewing an NBC star, Bush had no choice but to egg Trump on.

"If Billy had been passive or responded 'Shut the f— up' to Trump, Billy would have been out of a job the next day," Grossman told T.H.R.

Bullshit.  So many levels of bullshit -- they were off camera, he didn't have to respond and he could just as easily have been just as jocular saying, "Hey man, that's my cohost!!"  But mostly, once hearing this asshat brag about being a sexual predator he could have chosen to NOT ask for a hug from the woman they were meeting and NOT positioned her next to Donald as they walked.

• Love 6
On 10/10/2016 at 7:03 PM, mjc570 said:

I am as liberal as they come, and that I am appalled at the prospect of a Trump (or, indeed, Republican) presidency goes without saying.  I don't believe they should close Gitmo, though, because there really isn't any alternative.  Transferring them to US soil only makes us even more of a target, at  least in Cuba the site is securable.  They're not US citizens, so the Constitution doesn't apply.

The main point Oliver made is that the continued operation of Gitmo invalidates US complaints about prisoner abuse by ISIS, Taliban etc... 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, dusang said:

Bullshit.  So many levels of bullshit -- they were off camera, he didn't have to respond and he could just as easily have been just as jocular saying, "Hey man, that's my cohost!!"  But mostly, once hearing this asshat brag about being a sexual predator he could have chosen to NOT ask for a hug from the woman they were meeting and NOT positioned her next to Donald as they walked.

BINGO!!!  Or, if "Hey man, that's my cohost" was too strong, how about a "well, okay?" instead?  He totally had a choice other than egging him on (not that DJT needs help getting to skeezy).  And I think "And the Donald scores!" is a bit more than "egging on" behaviour.

• Love 2