Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five: The Return of Detective Michael Logan

I do like that CI tried to go with some authenticity in "Dramma Giocoso" in terms of casting Alice Krige as Gillian Booth. Seeing as she has a real musical background and all. (Not sure if opera was actually a part of it and if her singing voice was dubbed or not, but she is no musical amateur.)

On a very shallow note, Mike Logan's hair looks very thick and full in "The Healer" right now (on ION). A season later, it seemed it started getting shorter and shorter. The semi-buzz cut in S7 wasn't his best.

I remember talking about this over on TWoP--I HATED that buzz cut, and someone said he'd done it for a movie; just like his last season on the mothership-he did a similar thing, again, was told it was for a movie. Yeah? Well, I never SAW those movies, and what movies he did do, he had that thick, gorgeous mane of hair!

To me Vacancy was the last great episode of this series.   Well, the last great Goren/Eames episode, but I think I'm safe saying it's the same thing.  It was small-scale and understated, but it was so powerful.  And there wasn't a false note from anyone involved.  Even the strange way the perp gets Eames to freak out over the memory of an alcoholic family member and Carver's anger at her for sympathizing with the other suspect are unexpected twists.  There's also the real/reel irony of the actor telling Bobby he can't explain acting to him/VDO. 

It also has a perfect last line from Goren:

"This search for the truth, it's not for the faint-hearted."

Edited by roseha

I remember talking about this over on TWoP--I HATED that buzz cut, and someone said he'd done it for a movie; just like his last season on the mothership-he did a similar thing, again, was told it was for a movie. Yeah? Well, I never SAW those movies, and what movies he did do, he had that thick, gorgeous mane of hair!

Don't hit me, GHSR, but for a while I thought maybe CN/Mike was going shorter to hide impending hair thinning/loss. But as he clearly still has hair, I guess that wasn't it. Not sure I buy the movie explanation, either. Maybe the hair dresser(s) just scalped the poor man. Hee.

As an aside, it's sort of too bad CI could not bring Chesley Watkins back for another tangle with Logan. That episode is on again and it seems like she got to Logan much like Wallace got to Goren. Logan needed his own Moriarty, and Watkins seemed the closest, what with all the mother issues she brought to the surface for Logan.

What is with the male leads (minus Nichols) and their moms, anyway?

To me Vacancy was the last great episode of this series.   Well, the last great Goren/Eames episode, but I think I'm safe saying it's the same thing.  It was small-scale and understated, but it was so powerful.  And there wasn't a false note from anyone involved.  Even the strange way the perp gets Eames to freak out over the memory of an alcoholic family member and Carver's anger at her for sympathizing with the other suspect are unexpected twists.  There's also the real/reel irony of the actor telling Bobby he can't explain acting to him/VDO. 

It also has a perfect last line from Goren:

"This search for the truth, it's not for the faint-hearted."

I find there's a sharp delineation between S1-5 and 6-10. Probably because Rene Balcer left the series after S5. Or maybe the move to USA in S7, but the shift is there. Still, while I do/did prefer the first half, the second half, while dark (maybe save for S10) had some good episodes, too.

Don't hit me, GHSR, but for a while I thought maybe CN/Mike was going shorter to hide impending hair thinning/loss. But as he clearly still has hair, I guess that wasn't it. Not sure I buy the movie explanation, either. Maybe the hair dresser(s) just scalped the poor man. Hee.

No, I don't think so. His hair was still very thick; even when it grew back, I think he just kept it more tame, if you will, so it didn't look so thick and wavy, etc. Because in real life interviews, that hair was STILL thick and wavy!

I find there's a sharp delineation between S1-5 and 6-10. Probably because Rene Balcer left the series after S5. Or maybe the move to USA in S7, but the shift is there. Still, while I do/did prefer the first half, the second half, while dark (maybe save for S10) had some good episodes, too.

Yes, I agree Wendy, there were good episodes later especially in Season 10, and certainly some great scenes, I keep remembering Bobby addressing the mother in the jail cell in Boots on the Ground (and the multiple-guilty characters aspect of that one also resembles some of the better earlier episodes).  I was just thinking in general, though I like In the Wee Small Hours a lot as well.  I think Season Four is my favorite though, especially for No Exit.

Edited by roseha

Yes, I agree Wendy, there were good episodes later especially in Season 10, and certainly some great scenes, I keep remembering Bobby addressing the mother in the jail cell in Boots on the Ground (and the multiple-guilty characters aspect of that one also resembles some of the better earlier episodes).  I was just thinking in general, though I like In the Wee Small Hours a lot as well.  I think Season Four is my favorite though, especially for No Exit.

You have good taste, roseha. I liked No Exit, too. Always was kind of surreal seeing comedian Darrell Hammond play things straight as the sleazy boss. And Alex's oft-discussed "do your little dance in hell" comment is golden. I kind of liked The Posthumous Collection from S4, too, with Spencer the artist killer. (When Bobby/Alex went undercover there, I wish I knew what Bobby was going for with the plaid shirt and backpack: World's oldest college student? Hee.)

But of the later seasons, despite some overall issues I had with the show going all sensationalistic and torturing Alex (thanks to Warren Leight, no doubt, as he still has SVU do the same), I liked Blind Spot, if just to see Bobby actually crack (not that I hated him, duh)! But it was nice seeing him so worried and not all about the mechanics of the case. Also liked Frame in S7 for Alex trying to help Bobby when Ross went completely douchey (to me). I loved some of the acidic looks Alex threw Ross during that episode. LOL!

Finally, my favorite from S10 was The Last Street In Manhattan. I thought the actress who played Vanessa was good, and I liked watching Alex snark at the woman who ran The Swan Club and Bobby trying to diffuse things when they questioned her.  A bit of fun after so many dark seasons.

Thanks Wendy!  I don't remember if I ever mentioned it here or on TWOP, but I think that The Posthumous Collection was the episode that solidified my love for this show - I started watching it during Season 4 of the original run.  I loved that they featured unusual story lines with photographers, architects and the like, and that's about the time when I saw what distinguished CI from the Mothership (along with VDO, KE and company).   Yes, that scene with Bobby underground with the plaid shirt is a hoot.

Thanks Wendy!  I don't remember if I ever mentioned it here or on TWOP, but I think that The Posthumous Collection was the episode that solidified my love for this show - I started watching it during Season 4 of the original run.  I loved that they featured unusual story lines with photographers, architects and the like, and that's about the time when I saw what distinguished CI from the Mothership (along with VDO, KE and company).   Yes, that scene with Bobby underground with the plaid shirt is a hoot.

Ah, so you started the show fairly late in the game, huh? I thought S1 was strong, especially with Phantom and Homo Homini Lupis and The Third Horseman. I did notice in that season it seemed to try to stick with real "Major Case" stuff, dealing with art and theft and such. (From all I have read, the real Major Case Squad deals with high-end art thefts/jewel heists, etc. Murders are not investigated there. But that would have made for a dull show, so I get why the boundaries were stretched there.) So I liked Art, the show's second episode, for managing to try and be close to the real stuff while using the dramatic license, much like One, the pilot, did with the diamond thieves. If you ever can find it on YT, the French version actually redid One. No subtitles, but if you recall the original, it's practically the same thing, albeit in French.  :-)

As for S4, I was also glad when Mike Logan popped up in "Stress Position". I'm guessing it was to remind the audience of his presence to prepare them once he took over as co-lead in S5. Also liked that CI tried to touch upon his time away, too. So I was happy when both teams worked together in S5 in In The Wee Small Hours. I'm such a dork that I dug the special credits for that one, too, as I have said before!

Obviously, Bobby had Alex all the way through except for Bishop when Alex played surrogate for her sister. Did you have a preference in terms of Logan's CI partners?

"Grow" was on last night on a local TV station. I feel like it gets lost in the litany of "oh no, Nicole!" but I'd forgotten how solid it was. The masterful way that the writers set up the seemingly nerdy, clueless widower with glamorous, devious Nicole. The absolutely ingenious (and totally scary) method of poisoning someone through lotion to cause cancerous tumors. The realization that even someone as evil as Nicole could have a soft spot for an innocent child, but then that amazing convo with Bobby to ultimately make her realize she wasn't capable of taking care of a daughter.

And so, Nicole ends up being the hero and the widower just an evil man who wanted to kill his daughter for his drug habit because "I can always have more children."

I know CI episodes weren't ripped from the headlines as often as the Mothership, but I wonder if this was a real case. If it wasn't, that was some seriously creative, good writing.

• Love 2

"Grow" was on last night on a local TV station. I feel like it gets lost in the litany of "oh no, Nicole!" but I'd forgotten how solid it was. The masterful way that the writers set up the seemingly nerdy, clueless widower with glamorous, devious Nicole. The absolutely ingenious (and totally scary) method of poisoning someone through lotion to cause cancerous tumors. The realization that even someone as evil as Nicole could have a soft spot for an innocent child, but then that amazing convo with Bobby to ultimately make her realize she wasn't capable of taking care of a daughter.

And so, Nicole ends up being the hero and the widower just an evil man who wanted to kill his daughter for his drug habit because "I can always have more children."

I know CI episodes weren't ripped from the headlines as often as the Mothership, but I wonder if this was a real case. If it wasn't, that was some seriously creative, good writing.

I think "Grow" was indeed a vehicle to give the Moriarty-esque Nicole some layers. And as much as I have no use for her, even I'll concede that episode was a case of grand irony.

Who knew it would also seemingly be recalled a bit in "Frame"? Whomever was writing by then did at least remember that, so I do applaud the callback there, even if Nicole used that loss of the girl as a sort of revenge where Frank was concerned.

Still, yes, even the cunning malevolence that was Nicole had an Achilles heel, and it was done well.

As for CI and the "ripped from the headlines stuff", S1 seemed to draw some as the disclaimer in S1 mentioned episodes based on true stories. And I'm pretty sure S8's "Family Values" was based upon the 1971 John List case. Especially with the daughter wanting to be an actress. Although it does seem, as you said, CI tended to use less of those stories as much as the Mothership did. (Can't really speak for SVU to say.)

• Love 1

"Scared Crazy".... the woman shrink mispronounces Croatan to the point I want to smack her. Don't say you've been somewhere if you can't pronounce it!!!

My only takeaways from that episode are the Robbie actor reminded me of a young Lukas Haas and the therapist was a brittle bitch. Oh, and Robbie's sister, the actress playing her, I thought she looked a tad like Kyra Sedgwick.

• Love 1

Saw "To The Bone" again, and no matter how many times I see it, it's chilling. And I still don't get the whole Logan/Barek bit where Logan's chat with Liz Olivet was concerned. I mean, he offered to let Barek sleep on his couch, I think. (Maybe that was a roundabout way to hit on her?)

Whatever the case, it was nice to see Logan/Olivet together.

• Like 1

I think so.

Yeah, that was my takeaway when Olivet broached "sabotage" with Logan. But Barek turned it down and basically insinuated she knew what Logan was doing and didn't seem put out. She seemed to get he was reeling after everything.

So the abrupt ending and the weird vibe upon her lone S6 mention is still "Huh?" to me.  :-)

"In The Wee..." is still good. But I am sort of surprised, when Judge Garrett was trying to go after the four of them, that more time wasn't spent on Logan. Past stuff was brought up in the form of a brutality lawsuit, sure, but it was also resolved fast.

Barek? Well, she was new, so I guess the FBI thing was the only thing they could really bring up.

It does seem like G/E got the bulk of the wrath here.

Speaking of "Wee Small Hours", it is on WE now, with Part 2 coming up. Colm Meany is just sooo deliciously hammy during the whole thing. It strangely worked, though. (Had to come in. 90 freaking degrees out! Skipped spring and went to summer.)

One other thing that stuck out before was Carver telling Arthur Branch he isn't cut out for management. So when he was no longer the ADA, where did he go? I really wish the show at least addressed it. CBV deserved at least that.

So I always did wonder, seeing Logan talking to Olivet in "To The Bone", why the show shied away from them as more than friends.

I know she was his shrink (although she seemed to be there for Mike as a friend here) and that would be unethical, but they did have a good vibe, and the Mothership did imply more to them before - and Mike was gone professionally from NYC for years. I do realize, though, that unlike its Chicago franchise counterpart, the L&O franchise tried to shy away from soapiness (which is good, IMO).

Liz seemed to be one of Logan's more secure relationships. But maybe it's good they just stayed good friends.

On 6/4/2016 at 1:40 AM, Maherjunkie said:

She was one of those women with triple digit iqs, the kind he had no use for.

I agree with half of this; Liz was smart. But Logan clearly respected her and - if just for a nanosecond as inferred by the Mothership - had a thing for her. 

I think Logan would have been good with an "opposite". As the saying goes, they attract, @Maherjunkie.  :-)

But I know it comes down to the hotness factor for you, maybe.  :-P  In which case, was there anyone you could see ol' Mike with in the franchise then?

On 6/7/2016 at 0:10 AM, Maherjunkie said:

Barek!  Brains and beauty.

Ah, but she turned him down when he tried to hit on her. Then took off with nary an explanation! (I really do wish the show at least explained her exit.)

I think his thing with doomed neighbor Holly could have went somewhere if they had the time and good circumstances to figure things out. They were obviously attracted to each other immediately.

Still, yeah, I don't see Mike Logan as a family man.

• Like 1
On 6/6/2016 at 0:42 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I agree with half of this; Liz was smart. But Logan clearly respected her and - if just for a nanosecond as inferred by the Mothership - had a thing for her. 

It was more than a nanosecond.

On 6/8/2016 at 5:54 PM, Maherjunkie said:

Maybe.  I wonder if it was what she represented.  I still see Barek as the best match

I was rather surprised to see a fair amount of Barek/Logan fan fiction around. So I don't think you're alone, @Maherjunkie!  :-)

27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was more than a nanosecond.

I guess I was thinking more literally, regarding their ONS, but yeah. I guess Mike did have something for Liz for a while. He was great following her rape. I did like her cameo on CI and liked how she mentioned Mike called her. A nice nod to their history.

52 minutes ago, Maherjunkie said:

Do you think Mike is a cheater so much as a "Hey what'd you say your name was?" type.

I don't think Mike is a cheater, because I don't think he's ever stuck around long enough for a "real" relationship. On the Mothership, when he was younger, he was written as liking the ladies and having a good time while it lasted sort of thing.

And it seemed like his dysfunctional relationship with his mother really soured him on hearts and flowers.

When he retired from Major Case, it seemed like he was finally ready to explore life not as a cop but just a guy. Always made me wonder what became of him. Actually, Goren, too. (Since SVU mentioned he quit voluntarily the second time and Alex said he went to Maine to write. Which made zero sense to me considering all of S10, but yeah. I wonder how Mike and Bobby adjusted to not being defined by a badge. I would have loved to see how both men fared!)

I would be afraid to, I think they would be lost without their job.  Mike does mention girlfriends, including one who freaked hearing another woman's message on his machine and one who had an abortion for him, so he had occasional depth.  And if not there was always the Catwalk.

18 minutes ago, Maherjunkie said:

I would be afraid to, I think they would be lost without their job.

I can see that. Mike, I can see him as a private investigator, wanting to help but without having to deal with the hierarchy and politics of the NYPD. So maybe he wouldn't be as lost. Bobby is more of a wildcard. He seemed so adamant about wanting his job in S10. I could see him consulting or profiling with the FBI or something if he needed the action again.

But I understand your fear, too. At least both men left alive.

I did forget about Mike mentioning an ex getting an abortion until you reminded me. And I do think he had depth. But he learned to try and compartmentalize or whatever.

2 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Do you see either one of them doing that?

Mike, maybe, if he could figure out the 'net (as he seemed a bit perplexed in "Weeping Willow". :-)

Bobby is tough to predict. He seemed desperate in that he wanted Gyson to tell him that he wasn't too late for such a thing - yet he was a loner by habit or nature or both. So I guess it depends on how lonely he ended up and if he wanted to risk it, baggage or not.

I'm not sure why you guys think that Mike needs to even go to online sites to get dates. The man never had problems getting a date. At least three different women on the Mothership's first season; one who was a red-haired beat cop name Maggie, who teased Mike to "light my fire" when he said "that's cold, Maggie."

And Fuck to the Nth DEGREE NO! of Bobby and Alex getting together romantically or sexually. I loved their partnership: full of respect and admiration and they were great partners. I hated the fucking retcon that Alex had a thing for Bobby when she showed up on SVU and she and Liv talked about their old "partners." As if Olivia were ever in love with Elliott or that Alex was with Bobby. These shows weren't/aren't soaps.

On 6/11/2016 at 0:55 AM, Maherjunkie said:

It wouldn't shock me if he and Alex eventually got together.  Did Mike necessarily have trouble with the internet?  I had never heard of a vlog either.

I don't think Alex was Mike's type. Actually, I think Logan was content to have variety and liked to keep things sort of fun. But I still think he and Olivet - when she was not his shrink - had an interesting vibe.

On 6/13/2016 at 9:37 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

As if Olivia were ever in love with Elliott or that Alex was with Bobby. These shows weren't/aren't soaps.

No, they weren't soaps. But I do think both shows - as I said - did try to straddle the line for good or bad. And the freaking CI finale's very last scene seemed to try to please both sides, IMO. And I'll say this: I do think earlier SVU did have Olivia drawn to Elliot. Whether it was reciprocated is open to debate, but I do think that subtext was evident.

Bobby and Alex, whether due to a case or their lives imploding at various points or just by nature of the job and the inordinate amount of time they spent with each other, did come to truly need each other, and I do think it's safe to say it went beyond "just" partners. Be it Declan and Jo Gage, Frank Goren, Kevin Mulrooney, or Alex's husband, Joe, with Bobby helping Alex to reexamine his death, they were firm in their defense and care of each other. It may not be romantic love, but I do think love was a part in whatever form. And there are many...

I'm fine with mere friendship and loved the vibe between Bobby and Alex, too. As I said, I'm fine either way. But I do think Bobby/Alex were deep friends if not romantic, and, to play Devil's Advocate, I can see how partners - especially partners who were together as a team as long as they were - could fall for one another since partners seem to be together a lot of the time and go through experiences not many others would get. That alone creates a strong bond. If it didn't happen, cool. But I guess if it did happen, I could see it being natural and not a soap thing. But hey, YMMV.

And for what it's worth, if these shows came later, I think Dick Wolf would maybe have less restraint as he seems to have fully, ironically, embraced "soap" storytelling and has, I guess, said in print that his Chicago franchise is more or less soapy.

So maybe the elements in SVU and maybe CI weren't accidental. I think the Mothership is the only one that managed to really not use it. Well, unless the whole peripheral Jack/Claire relationship counts. Lennie could be a soap character, too, on paper. He was married two or three times (I think two IIRC), after all, and was a recovering alcoholic.  :-)

Like I said, mileage varies.  :-)  I think - if it ever happened - they would know the risks. And Bobby having a stable life partner, I'd think, would only be to his benefit considering his shitty personal life before. The guy deserves someone who'd love him despite all that. I realize not everyone has to be involved but, again, police work is an intense animal!  :-)

But even if he and Alex are just good friends, as long as Bobby stopped trying to go after crazy chicks like Nicole, I think he'd be okay. He'd certainly live longer.  :-P

I've covered how dull "Wasichu" was before (Logan and Barek deserved a better story). It's on WE now, and something occurred to me. The victim was a secret service agent. Wouldn't her death be FBI territory?

I know, stop thinking. But she was a federal agent, so...

Noth and Sciorra gave it their all here, but they couldn't help this one.

• Like 1

"Dramma Giacoso" aired on USA late night last night and, while the scene with Mike trying to be roundabout with the lady doc to get a handle on Gillian Booth's condition showcased his rapport with the ladies, all I can think was how I wouldn't want her as my doc if - even hypothetically, talking about her "poor sweet mother" - she so easily broke HIPAA/privacy laws!

Still, I can see why she would be worn down by Logan.  :-)  Still wish anyone would have punched Gillian's eventual hubby for being plain annoying.

And while this has been mentioned before, I did like the Lennie mention from Rodgers, mentioning him taking her to the opera. (Even if Lennie never struck me as the opera-loving type!) Just seemed sweet of him to do. And Rodgers had a bit of wistfulness relating that.

• Love 1

don't think Alex was Mike's type. Actually, I think Logan was content to have variety and liked to keep things sort of fun. But I still think he and Olivet - when she was not his shrink - had an interesting vibe.

I meant Bobby and Alex.  I don't think Mike needs the internet either but bars can be lousy places to meet people and he might be interested in something more substantial by now.  Maybe.

Wasichu is not my favorite either.  I can never remember what legit charge re his wife's death they could stick the husband with.  It seems like in this partnership Barek is the more liberal one.  The chief was kinda nice lookin'.  It makes me smile to hear Mike use words like "bangin'."

That doctor was terrible!  I wonder if she could really get jacked for that in real life as she wasn't direct.  She was pretty.  Mike's type?  I wondered what happened to Mimi.

On 6/16/2016 at 10:45 PM, Maherjunkie said:

That doctor was terrible!  I wonder if she could really get jacked for that in real life as she wasn't direct.

She could since, even though they were speaking "hypothetically" about Mike's "poor sweet mother", both knew they were discussing Gillian Booth. The doc would be in deep legal doo doo.

And sorry I misinterpreted the Alex thing. I could buy Logan wants something deeper. I guess it really is too bad Holly committed suicide. But aside from Liz Olivet (and okay, maybe Carolyn Barek as there are those that liked them around the 'net), I can't think of anyone he'd want. Unless the show ever tried something more substantial. But it seemed to keep in line with his Mothership characterization, which is fine.

As for "Wasichu", I could very well be wrong as I zone out on that one, but I was under the impression the killer had to do with the casinos the husband had a hand in or something. Meh. All I recalled for sure was he was dirty in the end.

If anyone is lurking, if you have the details, by all means, please share!

ETA: One missed opportunity with Mike was going more in depth about his time in Staten Island. He clearly resented and hated it there. But aside from the boxer and his brother in "Ten Count", CI never really touched upon it. If the rumor was true (and I'm not sure it is), I think it was claimed that Noth/the writers thought all that was done with Logan was done, and I disagree. I may like G/E, but I did like Mike, too. And that part of his life remained a mystery and could have been fleshed out.

Well we don't want to be Falaccis and make him grimace.  Was the husband guilty of fraud?  I still would have kept my mouth shut.  Paula would have wanted me to save my ass!

Besides you had that 2 hour movie.

I commented on the Logan thread on the Mothership board if you want to join me over there.   I feel like a canary in a coal mine sometimes. 

20 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

I commented on the Logan thread on the Mothership board if you want to join me over there.   I feel like a canary in a coal mine sometimes. 

I know how that goes here, but at least you and a few others drop by now and then!  :-)  I'll have to scan over there.