Type keyword(s) to search

Season Six: The Destruction of Bobby Goren Commences

The actress playing astronaut Sandy in "Rocket Man" always reminded me of someone, and I finally figured it out. (Well, two people!) She seems like a hybrid of Kristin Davis and Sheila Kelly. (Anyone remember the latter actress?)

No, but this episode makes astronauts look as catty as junior high mean girls.

I think it makes those junior high girls look positively poised and mature.

As for Sheila Kelly, she was in the movie Singles and was in the latter seasons of the TV series Sisters on NBC, as a recast of a discovered 5th half sister.

• Love 1

The weird sexual-tension-that-wasn't between Eames and the interpreter guy is such an odd part of Silencer. Especially since that actor either played Kenny, Joey Lucas/Marlee Matlin's interpreter on The West Wing, or looked remarkably like the guy that played him. That would be really random typecasting.

But this ep proves the theory from The Third Horseman: that all political beliefs are first and foremost rooted in self-interest. Tommy was mad at his hearing sister for abandoning him. The idea of  "keeping the deaf community pure" was just an excuse for his actions.

As for Sheila Kelly, she was in the movie Singles and was in the latter seasons of the TV series Sisters on NBC, as a recast of a discovered 5th half sister.

Wasn't Julianne Nicholson on Sisters, too? Small world.

Wasn't Julianne Nicholson on Sisters, too? Small world.

No, that was Julianne Phillips, a.k.a. ex-Mrs. Bruce Springsteen, his first wife.

The weird sexual-tension-that-wasn't between Eames and the interpreter guy is such an odd part of Silencer. Especially since that actor either played Kenny, Joey Lucas/Marlee Matlin's interpreter on The West Wing, or looked remarkably like the guy that played him. That would be really random typecasting.

It's ironic you say that about the weird sexual tension that wasn't because I thought the same and because I would have been fine if I saw that, but as it was, the whole thing seemed random and useless because I didn't see a drop of chemistry there. Just odd how he popped up and then faded, never to be seen or heard from again.

And for no reason since, again, we discovered at the end that Goren could sign enough to get the point across.

A part of me wonders if there were contract issues with VDO in play, maybe to do with the move from NBC to USA the next season. (I recall an actor from another show I watched had tried to get out of his contract once CBS cancelled the show he was on even though the show moved, ironically, also to USA (but this was before NBC owned it). He didn't succeed and did follow the show to the new network. ) Maybe the show was testing KE with others as a contingency plan? I could be way off base here, too. I guess I'm just trying to apply some logic to this.

Although TPTB did also have Eames partnered with Nichols (bleah) when Wheeler was on maternity leave, but maybe that was to honor KE's contract quota, too.

I did see an old article, and I am not sure if she was just being nice or real, but the interviewer asked her about, if she had the option, would she stay if VDO left, and she said it was flattering but VDO was a friend, she would feel weird doing the show without him, and G/E are what the fans like. So I guess - based on that - it's why both left in S9 (the interview, I think, took place prior to the first exit, but I could also be wrong and maybe it was a S10 postmortem; I can't find it now, but it was online on some random site!).

• Love 1

As much as I find "Blind Spot" interesting, it really does seem to starkly delineate S1-5 from 6-10. The tone just changes on a dime. But with that said, I do like seeing Bobby crumble if just to show he is not infallible.

Anybody else think it's weird that the two wives in "Bedfellows" are Charlene and Lena? Two sides of the same coin?

Huh! I never thought of that, but you're right. Maybe it's deliberate. Symbolism. As you say, two sides of the same coin?

USA showed "Renewal" and the Mike/Holly thing still seemed off to me in terms of how hard Logan took her death considering they knew each other, what, a few days? (Yeah, they were neighbors, but prior to their meeting at the bar, I got the impression they only knew each other enough to say hi.) Oh well, at least Logan got a second of loving before she bought it.

Kind of odd how fractured his investigation Wheeler got with the cadet went. At least Eames stepped up to the plate.

ION is back on S6 (today is the usual CI marathon from 9:00 a.m. 'til 4:00 p.m.), and "Siren Call" with the over-acting Brooke Shields is on. I know this was discussed before, but it still bugs me that a man kills his own stepdaughter - and her own mother was all "meh, we lost her long ago". Just...ugh. Granted, she didn't know hubby killed her, but still.

And I'm not so sure, had she known, that she wouldn't have forgiven that monster.

• Love 2

ION is back on S6 (today is the usual CI marathon from 9:00 a.m. 'til 4:00 p.m.), and "Siren Call" with the over-acting Brooke Shields is on. I know this was discussed before, but it still bugs me that a man kills his own stepdaughter - and her own mother was all "meh, we lost her long ago". Just...ugh. Granted, she didn't know hubby killed her, but still.

And I'm not so sure, had she known, that she wouldn't have forgiven that monster.

I agree. And I hated how everyone in that town just wrote her off as a slut. Didn't mean she deserved to die.

I agree. And I hated how everyone in that town just wrote her off as a slut. Didn't mean she deserved to die.

And with her mom terminally ill, maybe that's why she was acting out, too.

I just felt badly for the younger sister at the end.

• Love 1

"World Fair":

Logan to Meena's supposed fiance, when they learned he'd gone to a strip club:

"Was it a pure one?"

Best.Line.Evah!

And Logan slamming his fist in the beginning when questioning the punks that were attacking the hispanics. After asking the head bully to put his hand down flat on the desk and spread his fingers.

Is it any wonder why I love that Man?

• Love 1
And Logan slamming his fist in the beginning when questioning the punks that were attacking the hispanics. After asking the head bully to put his hand down flat on the desk and spread his fingers.

Loved how he made that little punk ass jump. Looked like Logan reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaally wanted a piece of the guy. That whole episode begged for a boatload of whoop ass for almost everyone involved.

• Love 3

It's no secret I like this show, but watching S6 back to back on ION today...I can see why ratings slipped on NBC that season, and while unfair, mostly because of the odd cases poor Logan got stuck with. From the Saved By The Bell ripoff episode where fake Screech was killed to "Weeping Willow" and the cyber con, well...Logan deserved as good as what G/E usually got (for the most part). And it seemed like he rarely got that in S6.

With some exceptions, he seemed to get the weird stuff, which is odd. Because S5 gave him some cases with meat to them. I felt so badly for both Noth and Nicholson with "Bombshell", too, which was discussed here. Thankfully, that one did not air today.

Loved how he made that little punk ass jump. Looked like Logan reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaally wanted a piece of the guy. That whole episode begged for a boatload of whoop ass for almost everyone involved.

Including and especially the brother who killed his sister (and framed her boyfriend) and his dad, who killed the the boyfriend. Everything in that episode implied that he knew his son was the guilty one but in his denial chose to believe it was a boyfriend since he already disapproved of him anyway. His whole self defense excuse was clearly bullshit, since he SAW his son attack him first. Plus people that find out they murdered an innocent person usually are in a state of shock and guilt for longer for five seconds. Instead he quickly changed tactics and tried to cover for his son.

Or maybe that was just crappy writing. Either way, didn't feel sorry for him. I don't feel sorry for any father that forces his daughter to marry someone that was clearly an asshole, culture or no culture.

• Love 2

Including and especially the brother who killed his sister (and framed her boyfriend) and his dad, who killed the the boyfriend. Everything in that episode implied that he knew his son was the guilty one but in his denial chose to believe it was a boyfriend since he already disapproved of him anyway. His whole self defense excuse was clearly bullshit, since he SAW his son attack him first. Plus people that find out they murdered an innocent person usually are in a state of shock and guilt for longer for five seconds. Instead he quickly changed tactics and tried to cover for his son.

Or maybe that was just crappy writing. Either way, didn't feel sorry for him. I don't feel sorry for any father that forces his daughter to marry someone that was clearly an asshole, culture or no culture.

And what's gross is he didn't seem at all upset about his daughter than he was for the son that killed her. Probably because the daughter dared to defy culture and have a mind of her own, but still. That episode was so disturbing. But on the positive side, it gave Logan some real meat to this case.

I recall an SVU episode that dealt with honor killing, and the wife ultimately testified only for the husband to stab her to death as he took off for home. I could see the wife in this episode suffering the same awful fate.

• Love 1

More likely that the boyfriend's grieving mother ended up shooting both of them for revenge. And even though she was a racist, I honestly wouldn't have blamed her.

Hell, other than the victim herself, the boyfriend was the only person I felt sorry for in that whole episode.

Edited by Spartan Girl

More likely that the boyfriend's grieving brother ended up shooting both of them for revenge. And even though she was a racist, I honestly wouldn't have blamed her.

Hell, other than the victim herself, the boyfriend was the only person I felt sorry for in that whole episode.

Eh? I think you mean Rudy's mother, right?

And totally agree-Rudy and Meena were the only ones I felt for.

I've got my own issues about the lack of research and WRONG information/depiction of Punjabis/Hinduu names versus Muslim. I think I already ranted about it at the beginning of this thread, so I won't bother y'all by repeating myself again.

• Love 1

Welllll, I did like Rudy's uncle, played by Tony Lo Bianco!

His embarrassment in explaining how he took Rudy to a Cathouse as Rudy's alibi did make me giggle.

Oh, the acting was fine, which likely made the horrible characters work! But Mina and her later-murdered boyfriend really were the only ones I felt sorry for.

• Love 1

Oh, the acting was fine, which likely made the horrible characters work! But Mina and her later-murdered boyfriend really were the only ones I felt sorry for.

I felt bad for Meena's Mom, too.  I don't know if she actually knew her son did it until all the other suspects were eliminated.  She grieved for her daughter and unborn grandchild and all this honor shit was strictly among the men around her.  When she was watching the movie her husband wouldn't let her see she was watching a life she was denied.

• Love 1

I felt bad for Meena's Mom, too.  I don't know if she actually knew her son did it until all the other suspects were eliminated.  She grieved for her daughter and unborn grandchild and all this honor shit was strictly among the men around her.  When she was watching the movie her husband wouldn't let her see she was watching a life she was denied.

Oops, yes. Her, too. Can't believe I forgot her. I remember how her voice broke as she said, "my daughter and grandchild!". She probably didn't, considering their culture, but I'd like to think she got away from her husband and made a life for herself.

• Love 1

In the SVU episode, the husband actually slit his wife's throat. I recall that episode, with the way her body was splayed (shudder)

As for Meena's mother? Considering their generation, highly doubtful that she got away from her husband or divorced him. Him being in jail for killing Rudy is the closest she'll get to a divorce from him.

And yet she still asked for "mercy" on her husband in exchange for pointing them towards her son. Which kind of puts a dent in whatever sympathy had for her. Even if she had no idea of the circumstances.

I wonder if when all was said and done, she tried to approach Rudy's mother for a more genuine condolence once she found out Rudy was innocent the whole time. Even if the woman wasn't a huge bigot, I doubt she would have been very forgiving.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

And yet she still asked for "mercy" on her husband in exchange for pointing them towards her son. Which kind of puts a dent in whatever sympathy had for her. Even if she had no idea of the circumstances.

I wonder if when all was said and done, she tried to approach Rudy's mother for a more genuine condolence once she found out Rudy was innocent the whole time. Even if the woman wasn't a huge bigot, I doubt she would have been very forgiving.

Right! I forgot about that, but so typical of parents I've seen depicted in television. And I get angry and pissed off and lose any and all sympathy for them.

So I couldn't sleep and "Bedfellows" (My Adddlaiiiiiii!") was on in the middle of the night. And a scene I always got a kick out of but never remarked upon was Ross sending Bobby in to talk to some blonde at the station.

Bobby kind of lets out a long-suffering sigh and semi rolls his eyes. I guess the guy didn't feel like trying to charm for info. Hee.

• Love 1

Was there some law that both Logan and Goren had to have fellow cops snark on them/dislike them? Because in "Renewal", some detective made the douchey remark to Logan (after he saw his dead neighbor/would be girlfriend splattered on the sidewalk) that she jumped rather than went on a second date with Logan.

(So I got why Logan went after him and other cops had to lead him away.) The whole Mothership deal that led to Logan's departure was years before. But I guess some just held grudges?

Then again, that episode just seemed so piecemeal anyway, with the case of the police cadet splintering off to the neighbor. Neither one seemed to have clear focus. Should have done one or the other, but at least Eames got to show up.

• Love 1

All the times I have watched "Blind Spot", I missed some nice nuanced work by VDO in two scenes: The first, when Goren and Ross race to that parking garage and find that body in the trunk of a car. After Bobby pries the trunk open, he looks sort of in shock and looks like he is mentally preparing himself on seeing Eames under the blanket.

The second time is when Jo Gage confesses to Bobby her idea to kill Eames. Bobby quickly closes his eyes in pain before schooling his face back into the friendly mask as Jo speaks.

Both actions were very subtle but well done.

• Love 1

I just managed to catch the tail end of Blind Spot, and now I'm annoyed because I love Martha Plimpton. Seeing Jo look so damn hopeful that now her father will have to talk to her and give her the acknowledgement she's been craving just makes me hurt for her, because you can tell that Goren is equally relieved that she didn't succeed at killing Eames, disgusted that she'd go that far, and fully aware that Declan Gage isn't really worth her having thrown her life away to get his attention.

• Love 2

I just managed to catch the tail end of Blind Spot, and now I'm annoyed because I love Martha Plimpton. Seeing Jo look so damn hopeful that now her father will have to talk to her and give her the acknowledgement she's been craving just makes me hurt for her, because you can tell that Goren is equally relieved that she didn't succeed at killing Eames, disgusted that she'd go that far, and fully aware that Declan Gage isn't really worth her having thrown her life away to get his attention.

I'm not certain that Bobby did realize that Declan was a waste. At least, not during "Blind Spot". I think he was sad for Jo and sad that Declan was so caught up in his criminals that he lost sight of his own child, especially since her mother killed herself, hence Declan's "blind spot", as he was Jo's. The episode title was apt as, besides Jo and Declan, Bobby's "blind spots" was his past with both and not seeing Jo's pain, and there's the fact that his friendship with Eames was another, as when she was taken, he basically lost his focus and only really pulled it together once she was found alive. I love irony/play on words like that. Must be the former English major in me!

Upon Declan's reappearance in "Frame" is when I think Bobby actually "saw" Declan as he really was. And, sadly, even then I don't think he really grew to hate him. Because, in a very twisted, sick way, Declan thought he was helping Bobby, and even with Frank murdered, etc., I think Bobby clung to that in his deepest core because, as Declan actually rightfully pointed out, the rest of his family was an utter waste. (And why Declan thought offing Frank would help "free" Bobby.)

It's ironic: Declan did the deepest betrayal, but it was done out of his sick, warped view of "love". Although I did wonder why Bobby went to visit Jo at the prison, before he was told she had bitten her own tongue off. (Yeesh.) I wish we knew.

I think this is one of the reasons I find Bobby so fascinating: He has an ingrained sense of wanting to help understand the underdogs even when, often, they are the last to deserve it. (Jo, Declan, Wally the numbers guy, Nicole, Nelda Carson, and John Tagman - although Tagmen, I'll never get.) Probably all goes back to the root of his mom's illness. Wish Gyson could have touched upon that, but alas! He probably always kept Jo's "you could have gone either way" in the back of his mind.

I have never been a real fan of his, but Tom Arnold did a good job as the disgraced preacher in "Brother's Keeper" as did Tony Goldwyn in his debut as Frank. Loved Alex's shocked look when he asked Bobby, "How's mom?"

• Love 1

The "Want" episode is one of those I can't seem to watch again, so my recollection is a little muddy, but I remember Eames had a specific reaction to Goren "saving" Tagman from the death penalty (which would have extended his life through endless appeals).  The implication was that Goren deduced that Tagman would be murdered in prison because of the heinous nature of his crimes, and Eames was not approving of that strategy.  Now I may be reading too much into a short scene but I didn't get the feeling Goren wanted to understand Tagman as much as he wanted to make sure he was put of commission permanently.

I could easily be wrong, of course.

Welcome to the thread, whimsey98! I get why you can't rewatch that episode: It's creepy, although Neil Patrick Harris did a great job as John Tagman. That said, I'm with Maherjunkie. Bobby seemed to express too much sympathy as Tagman was so introverted as to be incapable of relating to folks, and I think Goren felt sorry for him. Which, no, in this case, what with homemade lobotomies.

Eames, I think, rightfully disapproved of Bobby's pity. I liked her line at the end of the episode, when it was said that Tagman was beaten to death, "everybody gets what they want", i.e. he was in prison under the plea bargain - as Bobby seemed to approve of, and he got killed in prison, which seemed to be Alex's wish.

As I said, Bobby seemed to want to save every mentally ill perp out there, which is sad yet admirable due to his own mom. But I think he had skewed perspective where John Tagman was concerned!

(As an aside, I think this was loosely based on Jeffrey Dahmer, etc. The franchise with its love for "ripped from the headlines".)

• Love 1

I think that's what is fun about the forums....one can learn how other people see the different characters.  There are program I would never watch a second time, much less read forums about them, but Criminal Intent is one that I do.  I have just started watching season 2 of Fargo (I have to wait for the series to be on DVD or streaming) and I kept thinking, what would Goren do with this?  Odd, isn't it?  My takeaway from this particular episode was opposite to yours (though I completely see your point of view) but I just can't watch this episode again to sort out my feelings about it.  It was well acted, compelling in its own peculiar way, but I had a strong reaction against it, which I normally don't have with fiction. 

It's funny, someone (roseha, if you're lurking, was it you?) said how the CBS series, Elementary heralds the progressiveness of Sherlock with a female Watson when L&O: CI did it ages ago. LOL! It's funny how many CI guest stars had been on that, too. (Including Kathryn Erbe herself back in February!) And, yeah, I obviously rewatch this. Despite some creepy crimes, I like Goren's quirkiness and Eames' snark and their dynamic. It's comfort TV for me!

And it is fascinating to know how people can watch the same thing and see it so differently, yeah. But that's what makes the forums fun!

Chime in anytime!

"Tru Love" is on, which - besides Wheeler's debut - also had the debut of the new ADA. I can see why the show just ditched the ADA altogether since she barely had anything to do, either here or later in "Country Crossover" in the season. I was surprised back in the day when NBC announced a new ADA at all.

Courtney B. Vance got out while the getting was good, I guess.

Logan was almost flirty interrogating the blonde chick in "Blasters", the chick who helped an Albanian gang kill the Screech surrogate sitcom star. Talking about showers, etc., with the blonde propositioning him. Hee.

I do wish, as was discussed, more came of Rodgers firing the inept worker. I think Leslie Hendrix could have handled it. (I did like Rodgers, except for "Frame". But I blame Ross there!)

USA just started "Blasters", the death of the Screech wannabe TV star. Also the episode Rodgers got her bitch on to her attendant and fired him. Leslie Hendrix seemed to be thrilled to have more lines to say than just about dead bodies!

She seemed to be almost a semi-regular on CI (complete with flirtation with Ross). Like others here, I do wonder if this was supposed to lead to something but was dropped, a la Wheeler's dad, which was in summaries but never made it to air.