Type keyword(s) to search

Season Six: The Destruction of Bobby Goren Commences

EOlivet, I agree with you on Tru Love.  I was thinking, don't fall for it Danielle, his mother will have him out on bail, they're bluffing.

That kid had to be in therapy for a long, long time, I'm thinking. Although it was sadly probably already too late for him.

• Love 1

"The War At Home" reminds me of how annoying (yet great acting) Rita Moreno was as Goren's mother. She's one of the most-awarded actresses of her time. But her character annoys the hell out of me.

Speaking of that episode, why did Goren just leave so suddenly after the perp was busted?  I never got why.

• Love 8

I think it hit him that his mother is dying, there's nothing he can do, and he's spent so much time devoted to this job....and not being with her as much as he should have.

With D'Onofrio, he does a lot of things that aren't in the script, but sometimes they fit the scene and they are perfect.

• Love 2

I think it hit him that his mother is dying, there's nothing he can do, and he's spent so much time devoted to this job....and not being with her as much as he should have.

With D'Onofrio, he does a lot of things that aren't in the script, but sometimes they fit the scene and they are perfect.

Yeah, it was clear in "The War At Home" that Goren was on the brink, and with what had already happened on the job - Eames, the Wiznesky suicide - along with Bobby's mother being terminal, I think it was just a powder keg waiting to explode.

I caught nearly all of "Maltese Cross" on Friday, and...wow, that's a good episode. The flashbacks worked, the case was appropriately twisty -- the end with the fake interrogation (LOLed a little at "Cape Cod, Massachusetts" since it's a pretty wide area to cover) is straight out of the CI playbook.

Folding in the police/firefighter dynamics in there really worked, too. Just a strong hour of TV -- glad I finally got to see it!

• Love 3

And then there's "Country Crossover," which...I don't even know. I did enjoy how amused Logan seemed to be about the whole thing. I still don't quite understand the motive for murder, especially since I didn't quite believe May was coerced into sleeping with Curtis (the trophy seemed to indicate the opposite). I suppose she could've had Curtis killed (basically) either way, but she's misguided in one scenario (where she was coerced) and she's kind of diabolical in another scenario (where she did what she had to to get famous, then didn't want to face the consequences). Guessing it's somewhere in the middle.

What a weird episode. Though, as Logan points out, an excellent would-be country song.

• Love 3

I caught nearly all of "Maltese Cross" on Friday, and...wow, that's a good episode. The flashbacks worked, the case was appropriately twisty -- the end with the fake interrogation (LOLed a little at "Cape Cod, Massachusetts" since it's a pretty wide area to cover) is straight out of the CI playbook.

Folding in the police/firefighter dynamics in there really worked, too. Just a strong hour of TV -- glad I finally got to see it!

Yeah, it was actually one of the better Logan on CI episodes. As I said elsewhere, the perp in that also played Dale Acker in S1's "Smothered", and he was great as the jilted lover here.

And I never got into "Country Crossover" but it was cool to see Griffin Dunne once more, the last time as Henry Talbot in "Jones" in S1. CI loved to recycle, but since the actors were good, why not.

It was a weird episode. But it was loosely based on a real story, I just cannot remember which one it was.

"Country Crossover" was based on a real case? I didn't know that. I found the episode a bit dry.

• Love 1

Oh, that's where I knew what's-his-face Seamus from! (now I'm chuckling because Henry Talbot is also the name of Matthew Goode's character on Downton Abbey -- heh.) And that's where I knew the perp from "Maltese Cross!" All Law & Orders were really just the longest game ever of Hey, It's That Guy.

Wendy, I don't know for sure, but it seemed so familiar each time I watched it. Maybe I'll figure it out if I watch some more episodes of "Snapped."

Snapped is addicting. Makes me wonder how many times Dick Wolf shows have gone to that well or similar wells for episode inspiration!

• Love 2

"World's Fair" is just so disturbing with the honor killing and such, and by the victim's own brother with the parents covering it up.

Made even worse since it does happen in real life.  :-(

And now, "Privilege". Always sort of surprised Richard Kind played the murderous family member, what with his roots in comedy. Then again, Doris Roberts did mainly comedy, too, and she was the matriarch.

I guess every actor has to stretch their wings now and again.

• Love 3

Ugh, "World's Fair." I know this sounds kind of cold, but I didn't really feel sorry for the father that basically gets tricked by his evil douche son into killing his dead daughter's boyfriend because 1) he was trying to force her into an arranged marriage with a guy that was obviously a jackass, 2) his whole self defense of his son excuse was so obviously a lie since he SAW that Rudy was about to leave when his son charged at him; he just wanted to shoot him because he thought Rudy killed his daughter and 3) he spends about 3 seconds being shocked and remorseful for killing an innocent boy before automatically deciding to cover for his son for killing his daughter. I know parents want to protect their children, but honestly people, there is a limit.

I wonder if the wife/mother, once she found out the truth, tried to apologize to Rudy's racist mother for her son framing and indirectly murdering Rudy. Not that I'd expect her to forgive them. Even if she wasn't a racist, that would be asking A LOT.

I wonder if the wife/mother, once she found out the truth, tried to apologize to Rudy's racist mother for her son framing and indirectly murdering Rudy. Not that I'd expect her to forgive them. Even if she wasn't a racist, that would be asking A LOT.

I realize it is a different culture and way of life but, even knowing that, I can't help but wonder just how the mother/wife of the douche son - that killed his own sister/her daughter and the hubby that tried to cover for it all - could even stand to look at them and stay with the husband.

And yeah, if I were the mom of the dead boyfriend, no way could I forgive that, no matter what color/race/religion they were.

• Love 4

I realize it is a different culture and way of life but, even knowing that, I can't help but wonder just how the mother/wife of the douche son - that killed his own sister/her daughter and the hubby that tried to cover for it all - could even stand to look at them and stay with the husband.

And yeah, if I were the mom of the dead boyfriend, no way could I forgive that, no matter what color/race/religion they were.

I don't get it either. Even if she was for a culture where women are supposed to be subservient and go along with everything. Like I said before, there are LIMITS.

• Love 1

Has Weeping Willow ever been discussed? I liked that case -- interesting twists (is it real or a hoax) and the bizarre irony of the guy being killed with blanks or...things that cover blanks? And the final irony with Willow appearing to be behind the whole thing and profiting from it. It struck me as (highly toned down) Gone Girl-esque.One of the few "woman mastermind" cases where the woman wasn't also...y'know, a vicious killer. It seemed on this show, if it was a woman killer, she was either pure evil or killing for "emotional" reasons. Willow was just a straight-up famewhore who happened to be a superlative actress. Fascinating.

World's Fair was just depressing. I was glad the mother turned her son in, and was sickened at the guy "reenacting" his sister's murder and seemingly getting into it (not enjoying it, but just unleashing all that anger). Bleh.

• Love 1

There have been lots of cases of women faking their own kidnapping, usually to get away from their boyfriend or out of an impending marriage. But I'm not remembering any real-life cases where the woman profited from it. Shouldn't Willow have been charged with something? Anything?

But Internet stunts like this which cost a life, police time and resources, usually any and all parties involved are charged. Maybe she didn't know that the guy would die, but she surely had to be aware that police would be looking for her. And they were asking for ransom, which many people contributed to.

Remember Jennifer Wilbanks? She didn't go as far as Willow did, and paid a hefty price.

....resulted in a felony indictment against her of providing false information to law enforcement, a charge that could have resulted in up to five years of imprisonment. On June 2, 2005, Wilbanks pleaded no contest to this charge. As part of her plea bargain, she was sentenced to two years of probation and 120 hours of community service, and she was also ordered to pay $2,250 in restitution to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Department.

I still think Willow should have had to pay all the money back instead of pocketing it, paid for law enforcement's time and efforts, and been charged with filing false information, unlike the episode portrayed her going on with a big movie deal.

I see both sides: Obviously, manpower and time was spent on something that turned out to be a ruse. On the other hand, no one explicitly asked for the police, per se. But those watching it must have considered it a crime in progress as the police did get called in.

Add in that someone did die, be it intentional or not, and that puts it in police territory. So I'd think Willow should have been charged with an "after the fact" charge or something.

• Love 2

World's Fair was just depressing. I was glad the mother turned her son in, and was sickened at the guy "reenacting" his sister's murder and seemingly getting into it (not enjoying it, but just unleashing all that anger). Bleh.

I didn't blame Wheeler one bit for wanting to get the hell away from the guy at the end.  You could tell how nervous she started to look during the reenactment.

• Love 6

I didn't blame Wheeler one bit for wanting to get the hell away from the guy at the end.  You could tell how nervous she started to look during the reenactment.

I get they wanted the skeevy brother to break and confess, but reenacting the crime was the only way? I doubt it. In any case, yeah, Wheeler looked none too thrilled to be playing the part of the sister in that little experiment.

• Love 8

Wait, so Ronnie, the lawyer/not husband/not father from "Bombshell," really was that stupid to give Jolene a shopping list with the murder weapons on it? That's...special.

I was cringing the whole last scene, and not because of any bad writing. Just fear of heights. Even though the blue screen was really terrible, it still pinged my GAHHHHHH reflex.

Now I know why someone was "singing" Jolene earlier in this thread.

(Edie, the astronaut's wife from "Rocket Man" was Amy Ryan?! I knew she looked familiar. But somebody tell Michael Scott from The Office!)

I was cringing the whole last scene, and not because of any bad writing. Just fear of heights. Even though the blue screen was really terrible, it still pinged my GAHHHHHH reflex.

The green screen is the very least of what makes me cringe about "Bombshell". LOL! I lump that one with S9! That's how much I dislike it.

The main case wasn't so scintillating, but I knew Lindsay from The Practice was a goner when Logan seemed to be interested in her. That never ends well for him.

How did he not realize she committed suicide? That seemed obvious once she went up on the roof and bagged the sheets? What's she going to do from the roof and why would her abusive husband care if she went up there? People pushed off the roof always seem to me like a crime of opportunity/passion, and the guy had plenty of opportunity (and "passion") otherwise.

The ending with ghost!Holly was really weird, too.

The main case wasn't so scintillating, but I knew Lindsay from The Practice was a goner when Logan seemed to be interested in her. That never ends well for him.

How did he not realize she committed suicide? That seemed obvious once she went up on the roof and bagged the sheets? What's she going to do from the roof and why would her abusive husband care if she went up there? People pushed off the roof always seem to me like a crime of opportunity/passion, and the guy had plenty of opportunity (and "passion") otherwise.

The ending with ghost!Holly was really weird, too.

Season 7 seemed determined to be as depressing as possible for Eames, Goren, and Logan. Not to mention I think that was literally also when lights started going out in the squad room, too. (By S9, I swear most scenes at the station were with the lights off. Thank God the electric bill was paid for S10. And it lightened up a bit metaphorically, too.)

Holly wasn't weird, but the ending was weird. Ghost!Holly appears in the window of the bar on a show that has previously been mostly grounded in reality -- that struck me as odd. Holly herself was lovely. The line when Logan says they took a ride in an old car was cute.

By S9, I swear most scenes at the station were with the lights off.

Well, of course -- that season was so bad, nobody wanted to see it (literally or figuratively ;) It was self-preservation on behalf of the set!

• Love 1
Well, of course -- that season was so bad, nobody wanted to see it (literally or figuratively ;) It was self-preservation on behalf of the set!

Of course you're right, @Eolivet! I guess the proverbial power outage was on the side of the angels there.  :-)

The music changed with this season. Harder, louder, and downright scary.

I noticed there were a lot of opening musical montages that season, too. I'm guessing the changes were under Warren Leight's direction to herald his arrival and Rene Balcer's departure.

The pseudo-edginess only escalated once the show moved to NBC-owned USA in S7. I do think it is another reason I liked S10. It was back to the case and overall simplicity.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'd rather watch the old lady with Goren telling her son to "SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!" than Nicole any day.

I love, love, love that scene. Bobby used his Mommy issues to good effect there. Liked Eames' deadpan, "I'd shut up if I were you."

• Love 3

Privilege is on again? It was on last Saturday. WE is so weird with their weekend schedule.

WE tends to repeat the last two or three (or is it the first two or three?) shown from the prior marathon. Why? Don't know. But one or two episodes are sometimes repeated on weekdays when WE airs it, too. Strange.

• Love 1