Type keyword(s) to search

Wolf Creek - General Discussion

• Start Topic

YIKES!!!!  That bloke is eeeeeevil.

I was very excited about this because I like my horror with a story and a lot of tension.  I'm tired of Ryan Murphy's brand of power tool horror.  I skipped watching the original movie, which was thoughtfully provided to bookend the pilot episode, because I seem to remember it was a low-budget gorefest.

So, impressions:  At first I was very sorry my initial assumption was wrong--I thought we were going to establish the villain's M.O. by killing off the first family before the opening credits and then get down to a cat-and-mouse game between him and a new family.  I didn't have much interest in watching that annoying American teenager be stupid for six hours.  Yes, Evie, it was all your fault, goodbye, go home.

But . . . (preview remarks hidden under the Spoiler banner)

Spoiler

the previews show the girl turning into a first-class badass, so I can support that.  I'm back on board!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 17wheatthins said:

Wow! I just finished watching this and I am blown away! The way he just casually murders people, how calm he stays, holy cow!

The girl was annoying, but I liked her promise to her family. Great acting there   

I can't wait for the next episode!

Was that the promise she made when she drove back out there, by herself, in the middle of the night, to the spot where they were all butchered--and where the killer might very well be sitting in his little hideout shack up in the nearby hills, wondering about the headlights at the scene of his crime?

Ha, I'm just teasing, 17, but if this is our hero, I seriously need her to use her tragedy to wise up, grow some crust and start acting like she might be a believable worthy opponent for the guy who has a few decades head-start on his hide-'n-seek murder game. 

(I'm not really all that grinchy about her mistakes in this episode--good baseline for future character development--but I hope there won't be a lot of near-misses where she miraculously survives doing something stupid.)

• Love 1

This show is beautifully filmed and stressful to watch. I find the killer so creepy just because we know so little about him. He just kills, enjoys it and disappears. Over and over. Ugh. I hated how the movie ended...I'm basically tuning in to see him get taken down. 

The dog better survive.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:24 AM, CrazyDog said:

This show is beautifully filmed and stressful to watch. I find the killer so creepy just because we know so little about him. He just kills, enjoys it and disappears. Over and over. Ugh. I hated how the movie ended...I'm basically tuning in to see him get taken down. 

The dog better survive.

Yep.  Yep yep yep, the villain is much more villainous than the heroine is heroic.  (Still way too many near-misses for this chick, 17!)

But the scenery is great, several characters are excellent--the Maori trucker!--and I was happy when Friday night came along so I could see what happened next.  (Still have 'Candle Cove' on the DVR, waiting.)

Sidenote:  LOVE THAT DOG.  My very first dog was a dingo-ish Aussie Cattle Dog and looked exactly like that, except brindle, so scarier.  I didn't like dogs much back then and resented having to take one on--named her "Carma"--and now dogs are my life.  She would have torn those guys at the water trough limb from limb.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I'm not a fan of the near-misses myself; they drag me out of the show. I do, however, love this villain!! He's so off the rails crazy/evil! He's the only reason I'm watching (along with the vistas and the dog). 

Ok I just lied; I love all the other characters the heroine runs into.  

I watched it again, because I wasn't paying enough attention to that whole business with the duffel-bag crew.  I agree with you that some of this peripheral stuff interrupts the flow a bit. 

But uh-oh, now these dudes are going to be scouring the Outback looking for her, too??  I think I was just fine with the one bloodthirsty maniac and the earnest cop. 

At least the stoners didn't set out in hot pursuit of their giant bag of weed.  LOL

• Love 1

Poor Eve, having to keep shooting creepy men. I was not expecting the first creep to show up again, and I jumped when she opened the van door.

It was a nice twist that the prisoner on the run was one of the only semi decent people in the whole episode. I was hoping he'd stick around. Will he show up again? Apparently everyone crosses paths in this area!

I still like the cop...I guess he's free to spend all his time devoted to his job now.

I don't really like this gang after her...dealing with the serial killer is enough evil, really.

Still crossing my fingers Eve and the dog survive. It was nice of him to get the gun for her :)

16 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Apparently everyone crosses paths in this area!

No kidding!  One of my many questions concerns the slimebag with the bullet in his leg turning down Eve's offer to take him to the hospital because " someone will come along in a while."  Isn't the main feature of the Australian Outback that it's The Big Empty?  (Of course, I'm not even sure the Western Territories are considered "outback," but it looks pretty darned deserted out there, except for Madonna's Gas & Cafe', the hub of the universe.)

Did Eve buy anything else at Madonna's besides coffee?  The bill was 17.50!  What's the exchange rate there?!

Is that dog ever going to jump in and save Eve or is she going to shoot every man in the Maybe-outback?  Except for the target maniac, that she failed to catch, because she was chasing his truck on foot, because she left some critical part of her vehicle in the dirt.  And then drove over it.

I'm also wondering whether there are crickets or something making so much noise they drown out the noise of approaching motorcycles and station wagons and Marley's Ghost, dragging his chains around.  I know the dog can bark--he barked for "left" earlier, but it was too late.

Come on, dog.  It's okay if you don't want to be Rin Tin Tin, but at least sound an alert when it's time to get the gun and shoot the next man.

Who stuck that rabbit head on the stick?  Is Evie all badass now, able to shoot a rabbit with her new pistol, cut off its head and wear its blood?  Or did she just co-opt some blood from someone else's weird ritual rabbit slaying?

How can Eve tell her dog companion: "Don't be nervous--he's got no idea we're onto him" when the Madonna woman JUST SAID 15 SECONDS AGO he'd been asking about her?!?!?!?

I guess the maniac guy cut off slimebag's "tackle" and strung him up to bleed out?  But that's very weird, because I thought the success of the maniac's whole dealio depended on "people disappearing without a trace"?  (Although the gruesome death couldn't have happened to a nicer guy--men who think being in possession of a vagina = Advertising deserve to be de-tackled.)

I don't know if it's kosher to talk about the previews, but I saw Eve doing something else jaw-droppingly stupid. **facepalm**  Weren't they supposed to introduce a wise old aboriginal Mr. Miyagi by now?  17, I thought we agreed this chicklet was going to stop being such a ninny.

ETA:  Forgot to say, that long, slow, silent scan around the panorama to the prison van on its side was terrific.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

Well, it's halfway over, three episodes left.  They've brought in about 15 mini-storylines so I guess we'll just soldier on for the dog and the scenery, hope that bitchin' cool Maori trucker shows up again, marvel at Evie's ability to escape being raped or killed, laugh at those Dutch girls and how "Everybody comes to Rick's," I mean, Madonna's.  Oh yeah, and wait for the big showdown between the crafty old maniac butcher and the determined teen (who's going to have quite the rap sheet herself.)

I still really like it, chiefly because I'm pretty burned out on the ten new high-tech procedurals they've rolled out for the fall season and this is wonderfully different.

I think it would have been better to cut out some of the fillers, like Clan Methhead, and tighten it up to a tension-filled two-parter, but that's okay, I'm available on Friday nights.

Plus, this was my choice to take my mind off the election when I just couldn't handle another minute of MSNBC.  This was less scary.

• Love 2

Really?  Two more episodes down, one left to go, and nothing?  From anyone?

Okay, well, here's what I have to say . . . ha, to myself, I guess.

Every week I forget the "Who Killed Cock Robin?" theme song is coming.  It's so eerie and mournful--I love it.  I can't watch the images, but I think the song is perfect.

My big snort-laugh of the next-to-last episode was Eve's black wig.  Her "Clever Disguise!" that she pulls off five seconds after the Butcher was playing Follow The Leader with her, that she doesn't wear at home, or when she's using the public pay phone, or outside of the bar.  As long as she's a "Canadian Brunette" INSIDE the bar during her shift, no worries.  (This girl would have been so dead, about four episodes ago.)

Snort-laugh Honorable Mention to the scene where Sheriff DoRight volunteers to put his life and career on the line for Eve--which she appreciates--and then she gets out of his car and immediately runs ten feet away to hop in her own vehicle and impulsively chase the Jesus dude.   (No "I" in team, but two of them in idiot.) 

Sidenote:  I don't know why DoRight is being so secretive with his wife about the whole "Eve" thing.  Unless he really IS attracted to Evie sexually and that's his motivation for helping her?  Are we supposed to think that's true--he has the hots for this teenager?  I thought he just admired her spunk, maybe felt guilty that her investigation was more successful than his.  But then, they could have left out DoRight's homelife story all together and saved us (me?) the time.

Really hated to lose the escaped prisoner bloke--he was the best character.  Although, when a petulant girl orders you to "Get Out!" of a random shack belonging to neither of you, I think most people would Just Say No.

Well . . . thanks for not killing the dog, show.  That's different--and much appreciated!

19 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Get outta town!  LOL--I can't believe it.  Did the dog get his contract renewed, too?  I really like that dog--he always has the good sense to split when the girl walks straight into a situation where she's 99% sure to be raped or dismembered.

See you later, then, 17--same Bat channel.   : )

Edited by candall
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Watched S2 over the weekend — enjoyed it a lot more than S1.  A lot more.....

Same. I found it  as terrifying as the first one. That poor New Zealander. And it was nice to see Ben Oxenbould in something (the bus driver). He's not the greatest actor in the world but he was blacklisted in Australia for a long time for speaking out about a paedophile cast mate on a show he was on.

• Love 1