Type keyword(s) to search

AM Joy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've always like Joy Reid, but I'd have more respect for her if she had brought up her own past embarrassing postings (which she tried to deny, similar to Northam) in relation to the Ralph Northam affair. Since we have a plethora of right-wing media to pile on Northam, Democrats don't really need to (I'm reminded of the Al Franken incident with Democrats competing to be the most outraged).

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/28/joy-reid-apology-lgbt-blog-posts-559178

• Love 4

For the first time I was REALLY underwhelmed. 20 full minutes on Northam to start, with everybody sharing the same opinion... then 15 minutes on the democratic race (it's all speculation, can we talk about actual news please).... then later 15 more minutes on "media" which was just more on Northam?

Really uninteresting.

Sometimes I think when there is race involved Joy loses perspective. I don't think there's really all that much to talk about re Northam. I don't want to watch anyone defending him, but I also don't need 35 minutes piling on.

silent in Venezuela...

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

I don't want to watch anyone defending him,

I wouldn't mind seeing that.  He did something stupid 30 years ago.  He originally apologized, but everyone piled on anyway.  Then he gave that second press conference (which didn't help him any and made matters worse-though it didn't matter because everyone was already saying he was a dead man walking).  For me the issue is that if you do something stupid years ago, does it not matter everything you've done since? (Unlike Steve King, who Northam was unfairly compared to, who is saying this stuff now.)  If that's the case, almost everybody is a target.  As with Joy Reid, the response should be to admit you were wrong, apologize (not a fake "I apologize that you were upset" apology), and say you are not that person now. 

• Love 4

Actually, you're right, it would be kind of fun to see somebody try. The one person who did try sounded like an idiot too. Northam did actually say it was wrong. But he never should have said it was him and then tried to take it back.

Honestly, the media is giving this waaaaaaaaay too much time. Joy spent three times as long on this as she did on the issue of thousands of kids still separated, probably forever, from their parents. I want to tune in and hear about the things that are NOT being covered extensively on Twitter: you know, the new EPA people, things like that.

Northam will resign, or he won't. In the grand scheme of things it's not all that important. I can't recall ever having to fast forward through that many segments before.

Yeah I thought that too. He claims he never saw the yearbook which is weird. Maybe yearbook editors select & they thought it was him because of his michael Jackson act?

either way I am soooooooo tired of hearing about it. Come on in the grand scheme of things this Ian trivia. Let’s hear about the EPA, the world bank, venezuela.

• Love 1

When I first started to watch this show, Joy on Saturday seemed to cover what had been covered during the week, and then on Sunday different stories were covered or there was more in depth segments with new information.  Lately, Sunday also seemed to be more repetitive. 

Yesterday, there was more variety like my perception of the past. I really enjoyed it and hope it continues.

• Love 2

Midwin Charles, stop mispronouncing Karine Jean-Pierre’s name like Jean as if it was American.  Especially since you then shout out your Haitian heritage.  So you should know it’s the French pronunciation!

• Love 2
(edited)

Question: Is Joy Reid on speed? I've not noticed it before but she talks so fast. Has she always spoken so fast? Is this perhaps the result of jet lag from her recent trip to London? Is she aiming to become the fasting talking woman on the planet like that guy from the 90's FedEx commercial? It's annoying and it bothers/hurts my ears! I can hardly follow the topics she's addressing. She's gonna have a vocal cord heart attack.

Edited by little hermit
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

She and Chris Hayes both talk very fast. I think they are both great, but I do think they are trying to get too many words per minute into their broadcasts sometimes. I take it as enthusiasm, but still-- I have to concentrate really hard to keep up.

• Love 1

Now that you mention it, possibilities, Chris does get on a verbal roll but I don't think it's quite as bad as Joy. I don't watch Joy as much as I do Chris (almost every weeknight). Maybe I just haven't watched her enough but, when I was watching today I really noticed it and it bothered me to the point that I had to change the channel. I can't watch Steve Kornaki (or however you spell his name) the wild eyes, the rapid-fire speech and the lunging and waving around his arms... when I'm watching a show and they say he's coming up (especially at the BIG BOARD) I change the channel right then and there!

• Love 2
(edited)

Joy had a great segment this morning on the new birther campaign against Kamala Harris.  I didn't even know about it. It made me angry, sad just disgusted.

Credit to the panel that had a few funny moments during the discussion.

Edited by stormy

I don't watch AM Joy that often but I tuned in this morning and they were discussing the Epstein case.  Maya Wiley was on and I like her but she told some story about Epstein and Trump being at Epstein's estate with young girls, and David Corn had to correct her to tell her it was verified that the story was untrue.  I don't think he is a fan of Trump but I appreciated him setting the record straight, and I was disappointed that Maya didn't confirm the information before she told the story.  

I think it should be a lesson to all these "analysts" who come on shows to make sure they have their facts straight, no matter what position they take.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

David Corn had to correct her to tell her it was verified that the story was untrue.

And that's what is so great about these investigative journalists like David Corn.  They aren't just looking to nail someone; they actually want to verify and report the truth.

I didn't understand the point of Joy's taped interview with James Patterson, at all.  And then just keep playing clips and getting reactions from the panel?  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I ff almost all the rest of the show today because they were saying things I've already heard elsewhere.

That's kind of the problem most of the time.  Usually by the time Joy gets her turn on the weekend, the issues of the week have been long since hashed out elsewhere.  Almost never is there any new or interesting analysis by anyone.  And if it's tired by Saturday, it's dead by Sunday.  She might benefit from a one hour format rather than having to pad two hours on two days.  

I have my DVR set to record her, but most of the time I delete it outright, or after the first half hour or so out of boredom.  

• Love 1

I really like her, though, and when there is news on the weekends, she does usually cover it-- like the Charlottesville disaster, and March for Our Lives. That's why I was so disappointed and actually surprised that they spent so much time rehashing at length the same three stories, when there WAS new stuff and it didn't get mentioned. It seems out of the ordinary for the show.

I liked the Netroots coverage yesterday, and today 's show was pretty good. She had some panels talking about things in a hard-hitting way that wasn't happening earlier in the week. They talked about the ICE raids, and what people's legal rights are. Malcolm Nance was on, talking about an event he attended at Auschwitz, where survivors of Hitler, Rwanda's genocide, and other similar atrocities were talking about how "Never Again" is not being lived up to, including in the USA-- it was also the first time I've seen anyone name check the Never Again Action demonstrators in the USA who have been protesting and shutting down ICE with massive civil disobedience day after day in many locations.

None of that was talked about elsewhere, at least on any of the other several shows I regularly watch.

She has also been talking about the ICE raids in cities around the USA (and pointing out that they aren't happening in rural areas where there are lots of people doing farm labor, who may also not be documented) in greater detail than other places, which are focused only on the southern border.

Her analysis is often a little different than other shows, even when they are all featuring the same topics. I sometimes miss it because I'm just burned out by the weekend and need a break, and I thought a lot of yesterday was dull. But today was worth the time (I thought), and I would hate to see her show cut in half; I think that she provides a service to people who have been too busy during the week to follow things closely, and also because the way she showcases things is often independent of the same old same old coming out of a lot of other mouths.

I kind of feel bad for complaining yesterday. Today, one of her "Who Won The Week" panelists actually mentioned the story I had been wanting the show to cover yesterday. It's not nearly he amount of coverage I expected or wanted, but it was still something, and they talked about it in a fresh way, even if it was very brief.

• Love 3

Oh man was I glad that Joy had Maria Teresa Kumar, Tara Dowdell, and Karrine Jean-Pierre on that panel this morning. I thought Maria Teresa made some particularly salient points about how a lot of the solutions that are being proposed are going to exacerbate the access problems we already have. I'm finishing my last year of graduate school right now and the majority of people I know from my law school aren't really considering buying a house unless they are married and planning to move to the suburbs/exurbs. Student debt and paying for Republican policies is siphoning a huge amount of cash out of our bank accounts. Our economy depends heavily on people spending money. Well, what happens when people have so much money that, as Maria Teresa pointed out, they literally cannot spend it fast enough? The money lies fallow and doesn't go back into the economy. I think all four women did a good job of pointing out that this level of wealth transfer isn't just ethically bad, it's also exacerbating a lot of other problems.

One thing I wish they had pushed back on was when Ron Insana mentioned that we need to be redirecting people in the direction of high paying jobs is that a big part of what's happening is the jobs are being clustered in a smaller and smaller number of areas. Yeah we have a shortage of welders, but WHERE do we have a shortage of welders? If we have a shortage of welders in California but there are people who need jobs in West Virginia, that's not as simple as saying "we have more jobs than workers."

ETA: to finish out what I meant to say by this point, this also exacerbates the urban/rural divide that's a huge problem in this country. Those jobs are concentrated in a few states. As people leave their hometowns for those cities, the population in those states swells but doesn't correspond to an increase in political power because the Senate has so much power but doesn't account for population size. 

Not to mention that he was not remotely accounting for cost of living. If that welding job is anywhere near a major city, $100K is a good median income but generally not enough to buy a home or actually begin accumulating wealth.

I also wished that, during the portion of the conversation where they were talking about healthcare premiums and how that would affect the economy, someone would have pointed out that employer-sponsored healthcare became widespread as a way of getting around WWII wage controls. (Before that it had existed mostly for higher-danger jobs in rural areas, like logging or mining and there were a few teachers healthcare plans primarily associated with university-owned hospitals.) European nations evolved differently, in part because their economies were wrecked by the war. Our wages are still being affected by a policy put in place because of a war we were fighting 75+ years ago.

I do wish Joy had had someone a bit more trained in tax policy on to push back against Insana. For one, when he was talking about conflating Bezos' personal net worth from stock compensation with Amazon's income, I really wanted someone to point out that a) part of the reason Amazon's stock is so high is because of their earning and profits, which is in turn affected by how much Amazon pays in income tax and b) Bezos's compensation package relies heavily on stock options because it is typically taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income. 

Edited by BabyVegas
To add clarity to a point I didn't make terribly elegantly.
  • Love 7

I love Joy; I really do.  And she's not the only msnbc anchor guilty of this but she plays WAY too many clips of the lies and misinformation spread by the Republicans, usually while decrying the spread of false information to their electorate.  Enough!  Just tell me what they're currently lying about.  I don't have to actually see/hear the lying liars who lie.

• Love 2

If Joy is going to keep bringing Tiffany Cross on for commentary, I wish they could figure out a way to have someone else dub her dialogue or mute her mic and go directly to closed captions.  Cross has the most aggressive, annoying voice I have ever heard.  Like knitting needles in my ears.  She sounds like Alvin the Chipmunk on speed.  Why don't the producers give her a few tips about her vocals?

As it is, I hit mute the second I see (or, OMG, hear) her and miss the entire segment.

(edited)

So far I think Joy's new show is going well. 

On Monday, the debut, she interviewed Joe Biden. Today on CNN, Brianna Keilar complained over and over to Terry McAuliffe about Joe giving a speech yesterday and then leaving without taking questions. 

What. CNN can't get an interview with Joe Biden and Joy can? 👍Kudos Joy

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 5