Type keyword(s) to search

AM Joy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Joy had so much more patience than I. I would have cut their mic if they kept on talking over me. I actually think that it was his strategy. Get his shots in while he could and blame Joy for not listening to him.

• Love 2

One segment today was about the 2018 elections.  There were 3 panelists. I didn't catch all the names. A large part of the discussion was Wisconsin. During the discussion about Paul Ryan's challenger, Randy Bryce, Charlie Sykes was shaking his head about whether Randy was a strong candidate. I really wanted to hear his point of view.  The woman in the white jacket talked too much. Joy didn't follow up with Charlie.  It was very frustrating. I wanted a more in depth discussion. 

I looked at Joy's site but the guest names are not listed.

Joy has a great show but this has been my one regular criticism. There are often too many panelists.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:41 AM, madfortv said:

One segment today was about the 2018 elections.  There were 3 panelists. I didn't catch all the names. A large part of the discussion was Wisconsin. During the discussion about Paul Ryan's challenger, Randy Bryce, Charlie Sykes was shaking his head about whether Randy was a strong candidate. I really wanted to hear his point of view.  The woman in the white jacket talked too much. Joy didn't follow up with Charlie.  It was very frustrating. I wanted a more in depth discussion. 

I looked at Joy's site but the guest names are not listed.

Joy has a great show but this has been my one regular criticism. There are often too many panelists.

Tiffany Cross and Scot Ross were the other two. http://www.msnbc.com/am-joy/watch/wisconsin-polls-democrat-wins-special-election-1142169155799

17 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Oh,  Joy should pair up Jen Kirns with Richard Painter all the time, and give them more time! Richard won’t put up with any of her bullshit. 

Painter doesn't put up with anyone's bullshit.  He knows his stuff, says it loud and clear, and brooks no equivocating.  That's what I love about him.

• Love 8

Joy has great guests. She deserves a better time slot.

This morning Rachel Crooks, a trump accusers running for a seat as a State Rep in Ohio, followed by a panel that included Richard Painter. Score!

• Love 4

There was a segment today on the lack of WH security clearances. I must have missed a key point. Apparently the FBI does the investigations and makes a recommendation. After that the WH decides if someone should be issued a temporary clearance. A person can have a temporary clearance the entire time the President is in office. 

Is the decision by the WH for a temporary clearance made only if the FBI does not grant a full security clearance?

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, madfortv said:

There was a segment today on the lack of WH security clearances. I must have missed a key point. Apparently the FBI does the investigations and makes a recommendation. After that the WH decides if someone should be issued a temporary clearance. A person can have a temporary clearance the entire time the President is in office. 

Is the decision by the WH for a temporary clearance made only if the FBI does not grant a full security clearance?

If I understood the explanation from that segment correctly, the FBI is only the investigatory body that looks into whether somebody has issues that pose a danger to security. The FBI then makes a recommendation to the White House and the White House is the end point that actually grants the clearance. The FBI's role is limited to advising the White House, based on its investigation, not the actual granting of clearances. Malcolm's point was that, previously, temporary clearance has been used as a short term (I want to say generally 90 days, 180 at the absolute outside) stopgap to get a new White House up and functioning. I think it was on Pod Save America that the guys were talking about how there's a general way of doing things where the high-level people who need the strictest clearance get marked to be done first and then as you go down in clearance, so you go down in priority and that's why you can end up with somebody working off of a temporary clearance. 

Joy's face in the Sarah/Malcolm/Naveed segment when Naveed was talking about the Russians recruiting him and having a very clear understanding that the point of a public service job is personal enrichment was priceless. Along with Malcolm nodding along and Sarah agreeing, that segment was horrifying but so necessary. I always feel better educated after watching this show, if a little horrified. 

• Love 9

I remember seeing an interview with one of Obama's election staff...David Plouffe maybe?...and he said that six months BEFORE the election, they were already planning the transition and who would need security clearances and had submitted the names of 200 people who were likely to be on staff to the FBI. By the time Obama won the election, most of them had been cleared and, by the time of the inauguration, with additional positions filled, ALL the staff had their clearances. I don't think Joy, and Nance and all the other security people, can adequately express what a total screwup the Trump administration is.

• Love 12

Apparently Joy's blog scandal isn't going away.

Reid — a liberal commentator who has been under fire for homophobic comments that have been found on her now-defunct blog — promoted a 9/11 film co-produced by Alex Jones, the far-right media figure who has touted numerous conspiracy theories on his Infowars website and radio program.

Reid has previously claimed her blog was hacked and that she was unaware that the anti-gay comments had been inserted under her name long after she had stopped writing it. MSNBC has stood by her pending an FBI investigation. The bizarre allegations have raised questions about Reid’s honesty and integrity. 

The new reports seem likely to raise additional pressure on NBC News to fire her, especially in the wake of ABC firing sitcom star Roseanne Barr for anti-Semitic and racist tweets. 

4 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

Well writing something 12 years ago is the same as something Roseanne said on Tuesday. 

Of course its totally the same! /sarcasm

Unless Joy wrote something like the thoughts Roseanne chose to share the other day (what's the latest excuse/reason...was it due to Ambien? was it her cast members? was it the weather?), they are not even close to the same. But in the infuriating world we live in now, all things equivalent no matter what. It's baffling, the ones with the most power are always the most outraged and offended about everything, yet accuse those with the least power of being too sensitive. National level gaslighting and we are all slowly being consumed by the insanity.

Do I choose to grant Joy a pass or grace because she's on my "team" or am I considering her current behaviors and words and actions as a marker of her current thoughts? There probably is a measure of us being on the "same team" by which I'm giving her forgiven/pass. but I'm not letting her off the hook at all. However, there are people who wrote/expressed really offensive things years ago and are STILL offensive today! If Joy was a rude, judgemental jerk years ago and grew up and learned to be better, and can recognize her past ignorance, I can take that at face value. Until and unless she shows a completely different face, I'm still team Joy.

• Love 3

I'd like to see a treatment of how you go from where she was to where she is now. I think that would be interesting and useful on a lot of levels. I don't mean her professional success, I mean her change in thinking.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'd like to see a treatment of how you go from where she was to where she is now. I think that would be interesting and useful on a lot of levels. I don't mean her professional success, I mean her change in thinking.

I don't think that would be useful.  Its not like she was in the Klan and is now a volunteering in Haiti. I had a lot of dumb thoughts in my younger years. Sometimes I have to laugh at myself. We all need to realize digging in someones past to try and hurt them absent a real crime like Weinstein or Cosby   is not productive. Are we trying to prove our team is better than the other side?

• Love 3

I think that it's helpful to confront something head on if it's out there anyway. The more she tries to bury it, the more people will try to use it against her. If she comes out and talks openly about how she transitioned from her past ideas to her current values, I think it's the only way to defuse it. I also have found it helpful and interesting to hear about how people change, because sometimes we forget it's possible.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm conflicted with the whole thing. 

I think Joy needs to have a one on one with the camera and just clear the air. No BS. People make errors in judgment. Regret saying and doing things,  wish they could go back and do things differently.

My conflicted feelings mostly come from feeling bad for her that someone is out to get her, dug up the old posts and she's not the first or last that this will continue to happen to.

The fact is that MSNBC has dumped show hosts for less (Keith Olbernann and Ed Schultz, who says he was let go because of his support of Bernie Sanders).

If you don't want to get burned, stay off social media. It never ends well.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, stormy said:

The fact is that MSNBC has dumped show hosts for less (Keith Olbernann and Ed Schultz, who says he was let go because of his support of Bernie Sanders).

Olbermann and Schultz had far more problems with management and co-workers than just a few decade-old blogs. You didn't hear or see their compatriots standing up for them the way Joy's have for her, and her support has come from both gays and straights. They know Joy and know she isn't homophobic or bigoted.

• Love 2

Washington Post's media critic continuing to hammer Joy.

Now MSNBC’s credibility problem is seeping into the weekends. Via Joy Reid, that is. In one of the more bizarre media stories of recent years, Reid apologized in December for some old homophobic posts from her closed-down blog. People forgave her. When more posts surfaced this spring, however, she claimed that she was the victim of hacking, hired a cybersecurity analyst and a lawyer, and even brought the matter to the FBI. Those hacking claims collapsed under scrutiny. On her April 28 show, Reid apologized again and acknowledged that her team had been unable to prove her hacking claims, though she failed to disavow them...

Round 3 happened last week. There were more excavated Reid posts of yore, stuff about 9/11 truthers and some nastiness about Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). So Reid issued an apology, and MSNBC a statement supporting her. Both of those releases omitted any mention of the hacking claims. What was up with the FBI investigation? Is Team Reid still evaluating time stamps and blog archives?

The non-answers to those inquiries have placed the debate right on top of Reid’s credibility. 

The most hateful position of all is that they're lumping Joy in with BriWi.  Yecch.

Joy had an actual wig on today, not that little toupee thingy.  Full head of hair, chin length bob.  She looked good; years younger, in fact.  I know, it's a shallow observation, but that ever-changing thing she wore on her head was so distracting.  YMMV

• Love 1
On 2018-06-01 at 12:43 AM, tessaray said:

This topic is for discussion of the episodes of the show so I have created a new topic for Joy in the Media and moved a few recent posts there.   

Thanks, but I couldn't find it.  Link please???

• Love 1
On 6/16/2018 at 5:37 PM, Ladyrain said:

Joy had an actual wig on today, not that little toupee thingy.  Full head of hair, chin length bob.  She looked good; years younger, in fact.  I know, it's a shallow observation, but that ever-changing thing she wore on her head was so distracting.  YMMV

I thought it looked good too, but I wish she would just pick a look and stick to it.  Constantly changing your hair just highlights for everyone that your hair is not real.  Just because you can afford to sport multiple looks doesn't mean you should.  I don't mean to use Rachel Maddow as a fashion role model (ha!), but she wears minimally changing versions of the same black jacket outfit and her hair never changes, and so you focus on what she says and not how she looks (although the false eyelashes drive me batty).  

Joy's hair today looked cockeyed.  Maybe I'm getting political TV fatigue but after a week of the prime time news hosts in full drama mode, I didn't really want to hear any more, and I turned Joy off after the Masha Gessen interview.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

(although the false eyelashes drive me batty).  

Joy's hair today looked cockeyed

I'm pretty sure the false eyelashes drive Rachel batty, too!  Lol.   I believe TPTB require them; whenever she appears on another show (Jimmy Fallon, for example) she is totally barefaced and wearing sneakers.  That's her zone.  They must have to tie her to the makeup chair to even apply lip gloss.  And for the record, I worship her.  She lives in my neck of the woods here in Western MA and my dream is to run into her somewhere, someday.

And yes, Joy's hair was 'cockeyed'.  Like her wig had slept wrong on itself or something.  I appreciate her changing it up a bit with the fuller coif, but she needs to stop with the ever-changing styles.  How can a wig even have a bad hair day?  Don't you just yank it off and put it on a stand till tomorrow?

• Love 3

Is Joy on vacation? I haven't seen her for the past two weeks. That said not to take anything from Johnathan Capehart--who I love, but I enjoy Rev. Al Sharpton as host this weekend; especially  he when made that racist GOP senate candidate squirm. 

I'm going to start watching his show.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sereion said:

Is Joy on vacation? I haven't seen her for the past two weeks. That said not to take anything from Johnathan Capehart--who I love, but I enjoy Rev. Al Sharpton as host this weekend; especially when made that racist GOP candidate for senator squirm. 

I'm going to start watching his show.

At the end of the show, they Skyped with Joy (in England) who congratulated her producer's promotion & said she'd be back next week-end.

Did anyone else see the hand-off to Alex Witt when she asked Rev Al if he got a little more money for hosting A.M. Joy?  I thought that was tacky & crass.  Rev Al, always the diplomat, said his payment was keeping "the people" informed, or something to that effect.

• Love 1

I'm glad Joy's living her best life in England; she deserves it.I missed that exchange between Alex and Rev. Al, but I agree that she was out of line.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 2

Joy's outfits this weekend are bringing too much attention to what she is wearing initially distracting from the conversation. Today she is wearing a very bright, shiny, pink blouse.  In contrast, I really like what she is wearing in the picture posted by car54 in this forum on August 31.  Is there some purpose to her wearing such attention gathering clothes?  It makes me wonder if she is secretly auditioning for some other job.

O.

M.

G.

Katon Dawson revealed just how much of a Republican tool he is. He actually tried to defend Trump’s denial of the 3,000 dead in Puerto Rico. The rest of the panel jumped all over him, but I was pretty stunned at how craven he was. It was a really disgusting display.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

Katon Dawson revealed just how much of a Republican tool he is. He actually tried to defend Trump’s denial of the 3,000 dead in Puerto Rico. The rest of the panel jumped all over him, but I was pretty stunned at how craven he was. It was a really disgusting display.

I saw that this morning. That guy was an double talking insensitive asshole. He didn't even try to really walk back what he said after the panel had that reaction and seemed to think them doing so was funny.

• Love 1

Welp.  At least the wig looked nice.

Seriously though, I wish Jonathan Capehart had her spot, but maybe he's fine where he is.

So happy to see the short wig is back--she looks so much nicer with her old hair!

They had her back to co-host last night for Rachel and I was glad to see her---they haven't had her do that for a while--and I was afraid maybe it was due to some of her outside issues that have been in the press.

She's helping host the concert today (I think she and Chris did it last year too) and her show today was really excellent--she had an A-team panel on and it felt like she kind of had her mojo back.

I love Jonathan and I'd love to see him get a chance--but he just took on a nightly radio show on WNYC so I'm not sure if he would want more-he has his Post columns, and his podcast too.

I'm shipping Maya Wiley--she has just blossomed since they made her an official analyst (or whatever her title is)--not sure she's ready to do a show yet but she's on a lot and I really look forward to seeing what she has to say.    The other under utilized person I'd like to see given a shot is Tremaine Lee--he does some small documentary type pieces sometimes and he did a lot of coverage of the family separations on the border.    He is one of the best interviewers I've seen and his pieces are really beautiful.  I'd love to see someone like him get a chance to create some content on the weekends instead of seeing re-runs of weekday prime time shows on Saturday night.   They have a lot of talent like him and why not let them do some kind of show like Bill Weir does on CNN?

Back to Joy, she was full of pep today and I really liked the show--hope she's back to her old self after a hard summer.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, car54 said:

I'm shipping Maya Wiley--she has just blossomed since they made her an official analyst (or whatever her title is)--not sure she's ready to do a show yet but she's on a lot and I really look forward to seeing what she has to say. 

I like Maya Wiley too (actually, even though I'm a straight woman, I'm "in love" with her, lol).  Although since I don't know how "the system" works, I'm not sure the network would feel that she's been there long enough to warrant her own show.  

• Love 3

I agree, she definitely needs more TV seasoning to be able to host---Jonathan does pretty well now but he's been subbing in for Joy for over a year so he's had a lot of chances to get better.

I think Maya is so reasoned and calm and really good at arguing her point in a very approachable way, I would love to see her and some not-crazy right wing person be able to discuss the news maybe from a legal standpoint.       Maya also has a lot of other jobs so she might also not want more to do!   I am a straight woman too and I kind of love her too.

• Love 4

I would really like a new protocol for dealing with nonstop talking nutcases who hijack entire segments. They need training like widdling puppies. I suggest a microphone cutoff the minute they start going off the rails or veering off the subject. That was really aggravating to watch. I appreciate Joy's measured, determined and polite attempts to redirect, but it's not enough.

• Love 7

And I'll never forget that she convinced drunk assed Sam Nunberg to agree to comply with Muller's subpoena to testify about the Russia investigation. 

Also wanted to add that I think MSNBC made a big mistake in hiring Katy Tur and Hallie Jackson, precisely because they weren't seasoned enough to host a show.   Kasie Hunt is a little better, but not by much. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

Admittedly I've been getting a little tired of am Joy the last couple of months. It didn't seem as good as it had been initially. It became more like  the  quick-hit topic  shows  with  four to six panelists who each only speak remotely for a minute or so. Today's show was much better than it has been recently. She's spent more time with the guests. This show was informative. Most guests were on the set with her. MSNBC shows really overuse bringing in people via webcams and splitting the screen into panels to show them all at the same time.

I also agree with previous comments about cutting off people who use diversion and talk over other guests even after they have had their say without being interrupted. Joy has always done a really good job of handling those type of guests.

• Love 1