Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: The Tipping Point

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Tatum said:

Let's see, I'd guess Jen was a young mom and Ryan was born in 88, so Jen was likely born in the mid to late 60s, maybe very early 70s. 

Even money says at least one of those records was Olivia Newton John. Probably the Captain and Tennile too. She strikes me as a Peter Cetera fan as well...

11 hours ago, AmyFarrahFowler said:

I'd add a few Barry Manilows to that list as well.

Michael Bolton! And Huey Lewis and the News.

• Love 2

Ryan was born in 1989.

Ryan uses the albums to cut his coke or pills on and then snort it. Much like Cate and Tyler use their silver hostess tray for rolling their joints.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2
On 10/14/2016 at 2:04 AM, iheartla said:

Leah is such a thoughtful kid, offering to go check on Amber's chicken. For all of Gary's faults, he has done a bang-up job.

I agree. Same thing with Maci. Despite the hate, I love seeing Cole doing sports and activities and Maci and family are right there. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, tardistravler said:

I agree. Same thing with Maci. Despite the hate, I love seeing Cole doing sports and activities and Maci and family are right there. 

Cole is with Chelsea. Taylor is Maci's spouse. :-) 

I agree. Cole and Chelsea love to do outdoor things together such as fishing. Maci and Taylor love their Bud Lights.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GreatKazu said:

Ryan was born in 1989.

Ryan uses the albums to cut his coke or pills on and then snort it. Much like Cate and Tyler use their silver hostess tray for rolling their joints.

One of the fan sites does list his birthdate as 1989, but that is incorrect. Maci celebrated his 25th birthday with him in Jan 2013. She tweeted about it. Also believe his personal facebook lists his birthdate as 1988.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 1

Slightly off topic, but related to Ryan liking records... I was born in 1982, and when I was little (like 3-4) I was scared of ev-er-y thing. My dad stored his records in an extra closet in my room, one of them had a picture or a robot eating people on the cover, I was terrified of it, coupled with the fact that I was an extremely shy middle child I never told anyone because I didn't want to inconvenience them to have to move it.  Fast forward 30 years later I actually came across the record at at resale shop... it was Queen that I was so scared of, who knew.

I will say back on topic I agree, most of the kids seem to be fairly well rounded...for all their parents faults they are doing something decent (with the exception of Farrah, she is creating a monster, at no fault to Sophia). I know they have had some bratty moments in camera but who wouldn't. Leah and her little purse made me smile, I remember feeling the need to carry a purse at her age, it usually had some loose change I found, a pen or pencil, note pad, random toys/trinkets... I would love to know what Leah had.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, starfire said:

You guys are cracking me up. I am picturing Ryan half zonked out listening to tunes like Have You Never Been Mellow, Mandy, and Muskrat Love. Too funny.

Ryan certainly LOOKS like a muskrat lately. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Except Gary is much more alive. Ryan is like the corpse of Gary mixed with a muskrat. 

And, Gary is actually suffering from brain damage.

Edited by GreatKazu
Gary, not Gart.
  • Love 4

I paused the screen and figured it out! Jen gave Ryan REO Speedwagon "You Get What You Play For" live...ugh, I'm sure the rest of the records were similarly awful.

Did Ryan move in with someone that was already living in that house? I find it hard to believe he's the kind of guy that would unpack all his stuff, get matching throw pillows, and start arranging generic knick knacks on the shelves within days of moving in. He leaves bottles of his own spit randomly scattered around the living room, for fucks sake.

• Love 8

Darn it! REO Speedwagon was on my list of possibilities, but I picked The Captain and Tennille instead, as a nod to Jackie Burkhart.

Also on my short list of possibilities: Paul Davis, Bread, Bette Midler, and Lionel Richie . For those curious, my inspiration was my recollection of my mom's nerdiest records. My dad was mostly Boston, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, and, surprisingly, Heart. 

I actually like some of REO Speedwagon's songs though, so I can't mock her too hard. Ridin' the Storm out is a good song!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Did Ryan move in with someone that was already living in that house? I find it hard to believe he's the kind of guy that would unpack all his stuff, get matching throw pillows, and start arranging generic knick knacks on the shelves within days of moving in. He leaves bottles of his own spit randomly scattered around the living room, for fucks sake.

The house is in Jen's family. I think it belonged to her parents. But it is/was owned by Jen and her siblings. That's why Larry told her she better sell it to Ryan for the same amount they were going to list it for publicly. I thought - yea right! 

They might have had it decorated for selling, or it was from when the grandparents lived there. Maybe Ryan's new girlfriend helped him?

• Love 2

James Holmes, the Aurora Theater shooter, had those really wide pupils, too. He also had an undiagnosed schizophrenia. The different doctors who examined him disagreed with his classification of schizophrenia, but more than one testified about concern for his wide pupils, and the psychiatrist who performed his evaluation for purposes of the trial testified that he had to stop the interview to take his blood pressure, and asked the mental health hospital he was in to do some brain scans. Of course, I've thought Ryan's been on drugs for years, and there were old tabloid reports of him partying hard with Dalis back when all the reports of Maci drinking her way across the motorcross circuit came out, so who knows? Maybe a little mental illness along with substance abuse. 

It's kind of hard to believe Maci wouldn't be trashing him across the internet if he had a drug problem, though. She could do a line of coke next to him and still not see she was just as bad. For all her faults, like drinking throughout her pregnancy, I can't see her letting Ryan take Bentley if she knew he was abusing drugs.

• Love 6

I didn't really see the names on the records so I just assumed that they were Ryan's records  and Jen was bringing them over since Ryan certainly wasn't going to go to their house to retrieve them.  I never thought that they were Father's Day gifts to Ryan from Jen, but maybe I misunderstood the scene.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I didn't really see the names on the records so I just assumed that they were Ryan's records  and Jen was bringing them over since Ryan certainly wasn't going to go to their house to retrieve them.  I never thought that they were Father's Day gifts to Ryan from Jen, but maybe I misunderstood the scene.

Huh? Jen and Bentley were visiting Ryan for fathers day. Jen said happy father's day and handed him a gift bag, Ryan peered inside, pulled out the records and thanked her. It seems difficult to misinterpret to me.

It was mentioned that the scene might have been reenacted for the cameras so maybe you were just confused because of their poor acting skills? Perhaps you were hypnotized by Ryan's crazy bulging eyeballs? Distracted by his hideous tie-dye?

• Love 4

Yeah, I doubt someone born in 1988 purchased many records. I was born in 1983 and by then, it was all about cassette tapes. I suppose some 80s and 90s kids do like to be retro and buy them, but I can't see Ryan as falling into that category.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

Huh? Jen and Bentley were visiting Ryan for fathers day. Jen said happy father's day and handed him a gift bag, Ryan peered inside, pulled out the records and thanked her. It seems difficult to misinterpret to me.

It was mentioned that the scene might have been reenacted for the cameras so maybe you were just confused because of their poor acting skills? Perhaps you were hypnotized by Ryan's crazy bulging eyeballs? Distracted by his hideous tie-dye?

Wow.  I actually don't see how my scenario makes any less sense then the one you describe above.  I realize it was Father's Day and that Jen handed him a bag.  My point was considering what went down between Ryan and Larry he certainly wasn't welcome at their home anymore so I just saw the scene as Jen bringing Ryan over some of his stuff.  Again maybe I misinterpreted but I didn't think my scenario was implausible.

38 minutes ago, Tatum said:

Yeah, I doubt someone born in 1988 purchased many records. I was born in 1983 and by then, it was all about cassette tapes. I suppose some 80s and 90s kids do like to be retro and buy them, but I can't see Ryan as falling into that category.

If Ryan wasn't someone who was into vinyl or too young to be into it.  Then why would Jen be buying him vinyl?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

If Ryan wasn't someone who was into vinyl or too young to be into it.  Then why would Jen be buying him vinyl?

That is the million dollar question. Although I think the consensus here is that Jen did not buy him records, but gave him her own records from the 70s. Perhaps Ryan is a closet REO Speedwagon fan, but...unlikely.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:57 AM, pakalolo said:

I paused the screen and figured it out! Jen gave Ryan REO Speedwagon "You Get What You Play For" live...ugh, I'm sure the rest of the records were similarly awful..

Hey now. That's a good album! Lots of good songs on that one...

Son of a Poor Man..

157 Riverside Avenue...

Like You Do...

Keep Pushin'

Ridin' the Storm Out...

And the list goes on!

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Wow.  I actually don't see how my scenario makes any less sense then the one you describe above.  I realize it was Father's Day and that Jen handed him a bag.  My point was considering what went down between Ryan and Larry he certainly wasn't welcome at their home anymore so I just saw the scene as Jen bringing Ryan over some of his stuff.  Again maybe I misinterpreted but I didn't think my scenario was implausible.

I watched the scene once again, Jen said "Happy Fathers Day" while lifting up a gift bag towards Ryan. Ryan peers inside and says, with surprise, "some records!?" then, "thank you for these." I am really not trying to argue with you about this, I'm honestly perplexed that scene could possibly be interpreted in any other way than Jen giving Ryan records as a fathers day gift. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I feel like REO Speedwagon gets a harsh rap just because everyone is so sick of the ballads like "Keep on Loving You" and "I Can't Fight This Feeling".

Their 70's music was the best. :-)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I feel like REO Speedwagon gets a harsh rap just because everyone is so sick of the ballads like "Keep on Loving You" and "I Can't Fight This Feeling".

Ha, an REO Speedwagon album is fine for a 50 cent garage sale find, but as a gift record? Not so much.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Ha, an REO Speedwagon album is fine for a 50 cent garage sale find, but as a gift record? Not so much.

Maybe Jen just thought she was being a cool mom and getting a cool gift, but in reality she was just being a mom.

• Love 4

Did Bentley give his championship trophy to Ryan for Father's Day?  I hope that he didn't give it to him, considering Ryan couldn't care less about Bentley's games and doesn't deserve it.  I am hoping he was just showing it to him, but he said "Happy Father's Day" and handed it to him.  It frosts me to think that Ryan couldn't be bothered to peel himself off the couch to support Bentley in his championship game on Father's Day. I'm glad he has Taylor to count on for that.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Tatum said:

Hope I don't get in trouble for being off- topic, but Mr. Pheebs worked for a concert promotion company in the 70's and had the privilege (?) of chauffeuring all the Bands around from the airport, hotel, etc. REO was one of his favorite bands, very friendly and down-to-earth. They even wanted to go grocery shopping for healthy food instead of eating out!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, pakalolo said:

I don't know. I like old, cheesy records and so does my husband. That would be a fine present for one of us.

I am NOT a fan of his, but we all like different things. What is a weird gift in your house might be perfectly normal in mine. And, as someone else said, maybe they were not gifts at all. At the end of the day they are records; it isn't like Ryan asked Jen to bring him Maci's wedding night sheets.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I am NOT a fan of his, but we all like different things. What is a weird gift in your house might be perfectly normal in mine. And, as someone else said, maybe they were not gifts at all. At the end of the day they are records; it isn't like Ryan asked Jen to bring him Maci's wedding night sheets.

The bolded part completely cracked me up - I couldn't help but think that Ryan's probably already seen those sheets anyway. Hopefully she's gotten some new ones since Ryan was around, though.  <shudder> never thought I'd think that much about any of these Moms' sheets.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, starfire said:

Did Bentley give his championship trophy to Ryan for Father's Day?  I hope that he didn't give it to him, considering Ryan couldn't care less about Bentley's games and doesn't deserve it.  I am hoping he was just showing it to him, but he said "Happy Father's Day" and handed it to him.  It frosts me to think that Ryan couldn't be bothered to peel himself off the couch to support Bentley in his championship game on Father's Day. I'm glad he has Taylor to count on for that.

They weren't actually on the same day. Editing.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2016 at 9:26 PM, TonAmi said:

Amber, you've gained all that weight back bc you're plastered to the couch!

Speaking of weight, Tyler has the weirdest body ever. He's doughy, puffy-faced, has a small head compared to his body, and has that terrible hairdo. He can't criticize Cate's eating habits bc those chicken tenders he's eating ain't treatin him so tenderly.

OMFG THANK YOU SO MUCH. I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING. HE'S NOT EXACTLY AS SKINNY AS HE USED TO BE EITHER!!

• Love 1