Type keyword(s) to search

The 24hr News Grind

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

CNN:

Watched (and was infuriated by) some moments of Situation Room this afternoon in which they dared suggest that both candidates engaged in vicious attacks last night. They then showed the clips that supposedly illustrated this, which, naturally, only contained vicious attacks by Trump upon Clinton--since these these were the only vicious attacks that occurred. But no, Wolf Blitzer can't say that. He has to maintain some sort of "equivalency" between them, like it's the 2016 campaign that's getting dirty, not Donald Trump. Gah.

Yes, I hate the 'false equivalency" that the media feels it needs to show...Trump was the one hurling hateful statements...Mrs. Clinton did a good job staying calm & composed

• Love 6

CNN:

I was optimistic when they brought their "truth check" guy out. He gave two examples of lies Trump told, one from Hillary (maybe it was re: Lincoln and the speeches).  Then he said, "Trump said so many more false things than she did, but she had some too." The End.

You couldn't give a tally there, not just lump together someone who said 2 questionable things v. someone who said 10  (including some, like "I was against the Iraq war when you were for it" that have been corrected over and over.) The false equivalency is maddening!  (That said, Brooke Baldwin, Jake Tapper, Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper don't really seem to be Trump fans, but still have plenty of them on as guests.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yes, I hate the 'false equivalency" that the media feels it needs to show...Trump was the one hurling hateful statements...Mrs. Clinton did a good job staying calm & composed

Well,  when a woman just stands there, focused on the debate -- and ignoring Lurch looming behind her -- that itself is an attack on her part.  Ladeez need to sob and cry when the menfolk intimidate them, not just reply to a damn question from the audience.  That's about the only reason I can see justifying the bullshit cable news meme that they"traded insults"; that the (still) predominantly male talking head set see HRC's expression (at times incredulous, dismissive, bored -- and every level of WTF in humankind) as a direct insult to The Man in the race. She needed to give a fuck about the fuckhead, and she didn't. Cable newsies don't like that, it undermines their ability to throw lazy-assed "But it's all EQUAL!!" pieces up and walk away, proud of having -- they think -- played Edward R Murrow for a day.

I was optimistic when they brought their "truth check" guy out. He gave two examples of lies Trump told, one from Hillary (maybe it was re: Lincoln and the speeches).  Then he said, "Trump said so many more false things than she did, but she had some too." The End.

What I would LOVE to see: a real time assessment of the truth of any claims made by the candidate. The debates would turn into a very different event  if candidates knew a "FALSE" label would be slapped under their face in real time.  Yes, Trump would sound like the Daily Double hitting every nano second,  but still -- in general, debate prep would change from "I know you are but what am I?" for weaker candidates, and allow those candidates that love policy to get wonkish, in hot pursuit of a TRUE moment.  And cable news would actually serve a need.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Also, I've noticed around my neighborhood and surrounding areas that there are very, very, few campaign signs--far fewer than I have ever seen in any election.  There is one lone sign for Gary Johnson across the street from me, (it's not mine--I don't have any, lol), and I've seen a couple of Trump signs.  Even driving around the area, I don't see any bumper stickers for the candidates, other than a sticker for Bernie Sanders here and there.  It really is a startling thing to (not) see, and I guess it's a reflection of the dismay with the campaign and the candidates? 

I have an alternate theory that I'm actually certain of. The lack of campaign signs and stickers is a function of the extreme polarization caused by this election. You cannot even begin a conversation at a party these days without first being absolutely certain that the person you're talking to agrees with you--because if it turns out they don't, you're in for a harangue that will be at best unpleasant and at worst violent. If you don't even dare speak of politics to your neighbor for fear of it turning ugly, you're not going to put a sign in your yard or a sticker on your car that might invite property damage. 

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I have an alternate theory that I'm actually certain of. The lack of campaign signs and stickers is a function of the extreme polarization caused by this election. You cannot even begin a conversation at a party these days without first being absolutely certain that the person you're talking to agrees with you--because if it turns out they don't, you're in for a harangue that will be at best unpleasant and at worst violent. If you don't even dare speak of politics to your neighbor for fear of it turning ugly, you're not going to put a sign in your yard or a sticker on your car that might invite property damage. 

I completely agree. I have an I'm With Her bumper magnet that I haven't put on my car. Partially because I keep forgetting but I know part of it is that I don't want my car to get scratched up by some angry coward, or to get confronted in a parking lot somewhere. I do, however, have an HRC sign prominently displayed in two of my apartment windows. (We are on a high floor so I'm not worried about rocks being thrown. LOL. Kind of.

Re: LurkGate. Remember when Gore got to close to Bush in one of the debates, and Bush nodded at him? It was really effective. I wonder what the reaction would have been if Hillary had done something like that to Trump. She probably would have been criticized for it ... As it is, she handled herself beautifully. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd suggest she really is a robot, because only a machine could remain so calm and collected in the face of ... that. 

• Love 5
On 10/10/2016 at 6:37 PM, jenrising said:

And is featuring an interview with John Boehner, which should be interesting. I like to imagine he's spending all his time in a hot tub with a cigar laughing. 

Just yesterday, somewhere else on teh intertoobz I posited that ... Somewhere near the back nine, Boehner is having lunch, with a beer and a cigarette, thanking his lucky stars! 

22 hours ago, Grommet said:

Thanks for that link. I enjoyed that discussion.

WADR was weird, maybe because of all the remotes but also because Donny was the only one pissed off about Trump's creepy clown lurking.

Donnie was trying to make those same points on Morning Joe, when Joe promptly started blathering bullying and interrupting him.  I also noticed on MJ that he looked really pale, he had much more color on WADR - and I don't think it was just make up.  I had never seen Donnie get that worked up and pissed off before. -MSNBC

20 hours ago, Padma said:

Hillary (maybe it was re: Lincoln and the speeches). 

Chris Hayes actually went to the full email and proved that Hillary was telling the truth about how that whole thing went down - right down to the Lincoln movie.  It exhausts me how much people just use the go-to that she's lying.  -MSNBC

All the false equivalencies in all of the media this cycle have been outrageous.

Trump's utterly vicious, nasty speech yesterday where he listed off more women that Clinton supposedly "abused", he couldn't even get it right - 

1. He said Eileen Mondale, her name is Eleanor (daughter of Fritz Mondale), she's since passed away from cancer, breaking her husband Chan Poling's heart ( a friend of mine ) and the rumors were that she was having a consensual affair with Bill.

2. Connie Hamzy - this one left me slack jawed.  She is the Sweet Sweet Connie from the Grand Funk Railroad song We're an American Band - a pretty famous groupie from Little Rock.  She accused Clinton of being lewd in a hotel lobby, when in reality she flashed her tatas at him and he said no thanks.

Bannon and Bossie are feeding him shite.

Have I mentioned how vile I think tRump is?  He made the threat that if "they" released more tapes, he'd get more vicious - Hillary has zero control of what the media does.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

Re: LurkGate. Remember when Gore got to close to Bush in one of the debates, and Bush nodded at him? It was really effective. I wonder what the reaction would have been if Hillary had done something like that to Trump. She probably would have been criticized for it ... As it is, she handled herself beautifully. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd suggest she really is a robot, because only a machine could remain so calm and collected in the face of ... that. 

Damn straight.  

39469ff071510134d5e0005056a9545d.gif

When someone shows you who they are... 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm inclined to agree with you, Milburn Stone.  I have female friends in Northern Virginia, who openly and proudly canvassed for President Obama in 2008 and again in 2012.  However, they are now more circumspect about openly expressing their support for Secretary Clinton and have mentioned people's homes and vehicles being vandalized.  That's why there are few signs in their own neighborhood.  A couple of them mentioned being given the middle finger by other motorists while driving and even being tailgated for miles.  And, this is in "friendly" Northern Virginia!

This election has also frayed a lot of relationships as people find themselves horrified and/or disappointed by friends and relatives who now feel free to let loose and express the "hatred in their hearts."

• Love 8

MSNBC

Interesting interview with Kurt Eichenwald by Peter Alexander this a.m. Trump at a rally yesterday, read a passage from (many pages into) his 10000 word article and wrongly attributed it to Sidney Blumenthal. The interesting part is that the only other place that excerpt had been taken out of context and attributed to Blumenthal was on Russia's disinformation website. Eichenwald was interested, as I am, about these ongoing connections between Trump and Russian disinformation and wonders how Trump is getting his information (maybe Bannon?)

I continue to be irritated at the discussion of wikileaks info-dump on cable news without much criticism of having our media be used as an obvious extension of Russia intelligence + wikileaks to influence the election against Clinton. From what I've seen this is barely mentioned. Nor are they concerned in context of "helping Trump" while he continues to defend Russia and Putin's point of view (even toward Assad and Syria). Then, now to use this use of Russian disinformation as part of his speeches. Very weird.

I do have to give Trump some credit though--he goes on the attack in his own defense, gets a negative message and hammers it home and doesn't let up. With all that Democrats have to work with they are pretty weak on both offense and defense. For example, I don't understand there's not more factual pushback about "Bill Clinton's women" (which only some reporters call "accusers" or clarify about "consensual") and, in particular, about Clinton's role in that, including the rape case that she tried. There was a good piece on CNN about it last night, very nuanced, but overall the coverage of actual content is awful. (I still haven't seen Hayes' detailing of the "Lincoln" email. Why don't they repeat things from MSNBC broadcasts in other shows more?

Whoever had the idea of an hour long look at the highlights of shows in the last 24 hours had a great idea. Get a host, some context, and show the interviews, conversations, events, "op/eds" that would otherwise be lost and ignored. It'd be cheap, too, and a way to promote various shows to encourage new viewers. 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

The Intercept

Glenn Greenwald tears Kurt Eichenwald apart for his tweet storm (regarding the article about wikileaks) that declared a lot of facts not in evidence.

In the Democratic Echo Chamber, Inconvenient Truths Are Recast as Putin Plots

Glenn Greenwald gets a little holier than thou for my taste, but he makes a good point about Eichenwald's tweets.  Eichenwald's article did not make the same claims as his tweets did.

MSNBC

I'm not a huge Greenwald or wikileaks fan but may not have read enough about it all yet. This was what Eichenwald was talking about to Peter Alexander this morning. It seems pretty consistent with what I've seen about wikileaks, Putin and Trump. It is hard not to think--with them exclusively targeting the DNC and Hillary--that the Russians, and Assange, are seriously trying to influence an American election. Which, domestic politics aside, I deeply resent: http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-sidney-blumenthal-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-benghazi-sputnik-508635

• Love 8

For what it's worth, Rachel had an intelligence expert on her show last night, who debunked Trump's claims about Russian hackers.  He indicated that both Trump and Secretary Clinton were given the same security briefing on Russia's hacking and trying to influence the election.  Therefore, both of them had the same information before Sunday night's "debate."  The expert also took the time to explain why Trump would be seen as a "useful idiot" to Putin, et al. and discussed the ties that some of Trump's campaign people had to Russia.  The whole thing is quite unseemly given Trump's apparent love affair with all things Russian and his refusal to release those tax returns.

On another note, I thoroughly enjoyed Rachel's opening segment about the "women for Trump" rally, which featured some guy running around with a sign: "It's Better to Grab Pussy Than to Be One."  I loved Rachel's take on the ridiculousness of it all; she could barely contain her contempt for these women.  She also described how Priebus did a pivot from this weekend (all money going into down ballet races), where he now says that the party was still behind Trump (at least as of last night) and would be putting resources behind him.  Rachel also did a great job in highlighting Speaker Ryan's cravenness when he claimed he would no longer defend Trump.  While he would no longer defend Trump, he was still supporting him.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Padma said:

MSNBC

I'm not a huge Greenwald or wikileaks fan but may not have read enough about it all yet. This was what Eichenwald was talking about to Peter Alexander this morning. It seems pretty consistent with what I've seen about wikileaks, Putin and Trump. It is hard not to think--with them exclusively targeting the DNC and Hillary--that the Russians, and Assange, are seriously trying to influence an American election. Which, domestic politics aside, I deeply resent: http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-putin-sidney-blumenthal-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-benghazi-sputnik-508635

I'm enraged.  If Trump abetted Putin in any way in interfering with this election, that is treason.  

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Grommet said:

Re WADR: Could that "family values" guy be any more of a rude, hypocritical douche?

WADR-MSNBC

He was just playing himself, evil Gary Bauer.  See: Ralph Reed, his evil twin.  We have a first amendment that provides us religious freedom, these two bozos want a theocracy.  None of these assholes care about how messed up and un-Christian Trump is - he's anathema to everything they supposedly believe, but they know the SCOTUS is finally slipping away from them after two generations.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, NextIteration said:

WADR-MSNBC

He was just playing himself, evil Gary Bauer.  See: Ralph Reed, his evil twin.  We have a first amendment that provides us religious freedom, these two bozos want a theocracy.  None of these assholes care about how messed up and un-Christian Trump is - he's anathema to everything they supposedly believe, but they know the SCOTUS is finally slipping away from them after two generations.

Thankfully, folks are finally calling these hypocrites out.  Dana Milbank of The Washington Post wrote a splendid piece yesterday about the religious right making a deal with the devil:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-religious-right-makes-a-deal-with-the-devil/2016/10/11/d0783e44-8fd5-11e6-9c85-ac42097b8cc0_story.html?utm_term=.be10db12f4ae

Even The Christian Post has gotten in on the act.  Of course, they started with some Secretary Clinton shade, but they made their point about Trump:  http://m.christianpost.com/news/trumps-offer-to-christians-is-same-offer-devil-made-christ-168993/?m=1

There is also a petition circulating, A Declaration by American Evangelicals Concerning Donald Trump made up by several evangelical leaders of various ethnicities.  Their main message is that Trump's has given voice to a movement that affirms racist elements in the church and how his candidacy fueled White Nationalism.  The pastor who originated the petition was interviewed on AM Joy this past Saturday.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Padma said:

MSNBC

I'm not a huge Greenwald or wikileaks fan but may not have read enough about it all yet. 

Whenever he writes about HRC, Greenwald's seething hatred of her  =  mountain of salt time for me. 

MSNBC:  The Chris Hayes (aka Harry Potter) interview with Blake Farenthold was stunning. Farenthold is a congressman (and sexual harasser, suit settled out of court last year) from Texas. For those who missed it, here's the takeaway:

FARENTHOLD: I’m not here to defend Donald Trump. I don’t like what he said, but …
HAYES: If a tape came out with Donald Trump saying that – if a tape came out with Donald Trump saying that, saying “I really like to rape women,” you would continue to endorse him.
FARENTHOLD: Again, it would, I — that would be bad, and I would have to consider – I’d consider it. But again, we’re talking about what Donald Trump said 10 years ago as opposed to what Hillary Clinton has done in the past two or three years.

Trump boasting about how he likes to rape women would be "bad", but ONLY bad enough to merit consideration, not immediate disqualification -- luckily for us, considering Farenthold a mouth breathing knuckle-dragging piece of assbeast not worthy of the name "man" or "human" takes but a minute. 

• Love 6

I completely agree. I have an I'm With Her bumper magnet that I haven't put on my car. Partially because I keep forgetting but I know part of it is that I don't want my car to get scratched up by some angry coward, or to get confronted in a parking lot somewhere. I do, however, have an HRC sign prominently displayed in two of my apartment windows. (We are on a high floor so I'm not worried about rocks being thrown. LOL. Kind of.

I feel ya. I have had Obama stickers on my car since 2008, and in 2013, someone wrote "I'm An Idiot" next to one of them, on my white bumper with a marker. Luckily I had some of that rubbing compound stuff for scratches and I rubbed it off.

I am in Indianapolis and I actually see more Clinton signs/bumper stickers than Trump.  I put a Clinton/Kaine bumper sticker on my car last month. 

• Love 3

There are posts from moderator David Cole in the MSNBC and CNN threads, which say to me (if I understand them correctly) that those threads are being reinstated (after a confusing few days) as the place to discuss the stuff that happens on those networks. Which would be fine with me, as it always made sense. I'm posting this development here partly to inform the posters here, and partly to confirm my own understanding of what David's posts mean. (On the theory that if I'm wrong, David or another moderator will clarify.)

• Love 2

Just listening to NPR and they are reporting that the head of Wells Fargo has resigned.    

Given the political news I wonder when the news channels will get to covering it.   I bet Elizabeth Warren is doing the happy dance.

• Love 1

Wow, Alex Wagner was on WADR today as co-host!  Very glad to see her back -- if she has been on MSNBC, I have missed it.

1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

There are posts from moderator David Cole in the MSNBC and CNN threads, which say to me (if I understand them correctly) that those threads are being reinstated (after a confusing few days) as the place to discuss the stuff that happens on those networks. Which would be fine with me, as it always made sense. I'm posting this development here partly to inform the posters here, and partly to confirm my own understanding of what David's posts mean. (On the theory that if I'm wrong, David or another moderator will clarify.)

If there is a thread again about MSNBC, I will happily go there.  The mods told me to come here to talk about content on MSNBC shows.  I can't find threads anymore, probably a glitch at my end.  I just follow my notifications to get to the new threads. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, car54 said:

Hi jjj, the old CNN, Fox, and MSNBC forums are back where they originally were in Network talk.

http://forums.previously.tv/forum/936-network-talk/

It looks like they re-arranged things into 3 places--here for general 24 hr news, the original threads we had in Network talk for each network, and now there is a forum for general current events and politics talk.

confusing indeed!

In a reply to a posting of mine this evening on the CNN thread, moderator David Cole has confirmed that things are back to the way they used to be. I.e., if you're commenting about something that happened on CNN, do it on the CNN thread. If you're commenting about something that happened on MSNBC, do it on the MSNBC thread. Etc. The only appropriate use of the "24hr. News Grind" forum is for posts of a political nature that have nothing to do with how events were covered on a particular network. (Or, in David's words, posts that are about "political/news-only tangents." I think this means if you're ranting about Trump irrespective of how he's being covered on a particular network, do it here. But if you're ranting about how CNN is covering Trump, or about a Trump surrogate on CNN, or like that, do it on the CNN thread.)

So see you over there.

• Love 1

The changes were confusing but for a while it sounded like political discussion of all kinds was going to be against the rules. Now, within just a day or two, there are multiple places for it again, actually more than before--now either related to specific shows (Network News = CNN, Fox, MSNBC; or dedicated forums for specific news shows) or in general on the new "Current Events and Politics" forum. Hooray! and Thanks.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 3

The Keith Olbermann Pussy bow thing was hilarious, but the video is about Drumpf's 30 worst debate moments.  The sniffing part was funny too.

In other news, a federal judge has mandated an extension for early voting in Florida, due to the impact of Hurricane Matthew in the state.

Olberman today, hilarious!  Drumpf's tweets are so unbelievable I thought he was kidding:

Edited by atomationage
video
  • Love 2