Type keyword(s) to search

The 24hr News Grind

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Queena said:

Rewatching last night's post debate coverage on MSNBC, it's amazing how low Rudy Giuliani has sunk.

Did you see the exchange between Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews, after CM interviewed Giuliani?  Rachel said to Matthews (paraphrasing) "with all due respect, I would like to ask you something, and, if you choose not to answer, I will completely understand and respect your decision. I know you've known Rudy Giuliani for a long time. When he interviews about Trump, do you sense something wrong?  Like he's nuts?"

Omg.

So CM begins with his admiration for how RG handled the 9/11 aftermath. But in the end CM agreed with Rachel.  Said what Rudy was doing was "pure flackery," but not doing it well.

Btw, Matthews has a real hard-on for Conway.  He has said she's Irish and they go way back. Blech. I cannot bear her.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, sleekandchic said:

Did you see the exchange between Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews, after CM interviewed Giuliani?  Rachel said to Matthews (paraphrasing) "with all due respect, I would like to ask you something, and, if you choose not to answer, I will completely understand and respect your decision. I know you've known Rudy Giuliani for a long time. When he interviews about Trump, do you sense something wrong?  Like he's nuts?"

Omg.

So CM begins with his admiration for how RG handled the 9/11 aftermath. But in the end CM agreed with Rachel.  Said what Rudy was doing "pure flackery," but not doing it well.

Btw, Matthews has a real hard-on for Conway.  He has said she's Irish and they go way back. Blech. I cannot bear her.

Yes, I saw that.

I'm convinced that Conway is a robot. A robot with bad hair. 

Poor Michael Beschloss looks amazed at the happenings of the night. 

@

Edited by Queena
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

My husband is on duty, my beloved puppy passed away four months ago, and we don't keep booze or junk food in the house. Thanks for the company!  And thanks for the CNN poll data. I've been worried that some might be fooled by the DT strutting and strumming and posturing.   Cannot wait for November 8th, one minute after last polls close!

I hope your husband stays safe, and I'm very sorry to hear about your puppy.  Agree this is a great place to find company and snark and insight about these remarkable political events.  

Morning Joe tried to compare this to the Bork nomination and the Thomas Supreme Court hearing as low points in American history.  Not even close.  So much at stake here.  And they just played a montage of the weekend's events, ending with a sniff.

And Elise Jordan was on Morning Joe -- she is such a good analyzer from her former position as a Republican staffer.  But Joe Scarborough really thought the debate belonged to Trump, and that half the crowd that jumped off the Trump train is going "oh shit" this morning.  

And here is Nicolle Wallace, who has not slept last night. She is talking about Trump saying "the P-word", which is an unfortunate choice for shorthand.  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

If you don't read fivethirtyeight.com, it's always the best place to go to keep your sanity. 

Nate's take on last night's debate is, as always, rational. Plus he now has Hillary's chances of winning at 81% vs trump's 18%!

• Love 5

Is it really possible, that Mike Pence is more disgusting than tRump?  There he sits, this so-called uber Christian, lying his ass off on national television, lied all through his debate.  All these men care about is holding on to their white privilege patriarchy.  Make America Great, again my ass.  Women folk barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen and a resurgence of Jim Crow is what these bastards want. 

• Love 15
42 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I was thinking the same thing!  Also Mr. Morning Poll must not have seen the CNN poll which gave HRC the win by like 20 points I think. 

I can't even wrap my head around what they were talking about this morning.  What about all the creepy walking around and trying to intimidate Hillary by looming behind her.  

I think Trump got his debate prep from scary clowns. 

I used the word "predatory". 

CNN is just now reporting on that. We're not the only ones, his looming has gone viral

CC just pointed out that it didn't really even seem like a Town Hall. I agree. I expected more discourse with the "people". That was a big appeal to me. 

• Love 5

I've gone around and around about Nicolle.  I don't have to agree with all of her politics to say, she and Steve Schmidt are the last gasp of a civil GOP.

I fell asleep last night because I had to drink to get through the debate, so I missed the post debate pundit-a-thon, so I should go look for what the two of them said last night.  Steve Schmidt has displayed so much thoughtful eloquence about how far off the rails the GOP has gone this cycle, and this is a person that is a conservative and even a bit of a neo-con, but I really admire him.  He's speaking truth.

• Love 7

Steve Schmidt has been a breath of fresh air. I also think he is grateful that he's no longer responsible for putting forward the least qualified, most absurd candidate for executive office. 

Kellyanne Conway is like Skyler White after 10 years using Walter's meth. Or like a bouncy house mid-deflation. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NextIteration said:

Is it really possible, that Mike Pence is more disgusting than tRump?  There he sits, this so-called uber Christian, lying his ass off on national television, lied all through his debate.  All these men care about is holding on to their white privilege patriarchy.  Make America Great, again my ass.  Women folk barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen and a resurgence of Jim Crow is what these bastards want. 

This times 1000.  

1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

I used the word "predatory". 

CNN is just now reporting on that. We're not the only ones, his looming has gone viral.

Trump was deliberately using his size and invading Hillary's space in order to intimidate her.  This a move that abusers of women use to show a woman "who is boss".  I hope the media will analyze his body language and behavior during the debate because it was disturbing.  

As a woman, I am so proud of Hillary Clinton because she was able to stand her ground.  She did not even flinch!   

• Love 13
6 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

@Padma

My husband is on duty, my beloved puppy passed away four months ago, and we don't keep booze or junk food in the house. Thanks for the company!  And thanks for the CNN poll data. I've been worried that some might be fooled by the DT strutting and strumming and posturing.   Cannot wait for November 8th, one minute after last polls close!

Also can't wait for Jeffrey Lord, Kayleigh, Scottie and, omg, Lewandowski to be humbled.

Sorry to hear that, sleekandchic, but I have to say your posts helped me keep my sanity in the wee hours of the morning. That "debate" and much of the commentary afterwards was maddening!

I liked Craig Melber not letting Steve Cruz off the hook over Trump's comments and complete lack of remorse for them. ("locker room talk" now. That's how he REALLY feels, folks. That "apology" was so fake).  I hope more is made of his stalking her around the debate floor. Now that I know he practiced for this one, I think -that's- what he practiced--physical intimidation to unnerve her. (haha, didn't work).

He certainly isn't practicing for any content. From the video (which became about ISIS) to health care ("repeal and replace with something great!") to the Aleppo humanitarian crisis (which became all about Mosul) he just quoted from his stump speech. Craig interviewed Chris Cofinis who had a group of undecided voters. 24 out of 32 thought Hillary won the debate (the others were mostly unsure)--but even they still don't know who they're going to vote for.  What's wrong with these people? You couldn't imagine two more different candidates.  I honestly think if it were Biden instead of HRC, saying all the things she is, he'd be walking away with it.

• Love 4

Ha!

Love that Chris Jansing just read a number of tweets from pro athletes saying that  what Trump and Billy did is not locker room talk. And others commented being offended and saying and hearing the same.

MSNBC also did have a Politifact-checker on this morning but I can't find a link. Both made mistakes but I think Trump alone got a pants-on-fire determination. Politifact person actually laughed out loud at his premise.

Pence. No words. 

• Love 3

Robert Costa was on last night about the Trump plan (Bannon and Kushner and Giuliani and Trump) to have the four Clinton accusers sit in the family box--and walk out, extend their hand to Bill at the start to create an awkward moment for him to take them or not, possibly also saying something to him.

THAT'S the moment the Trump people planned and they're furious with Fahrenkopf who said no (he also wouldn't let McCaskill sit in family box)  Wash Post has details but that's how they want to fight--down and dirty. I wish people this a.m. would stop saying how "low" the debate was and realize that Trump was the one repeatedly taking it to the gutter, not Clinton.  (And how not surprised am I that Joe thought Donald "won".  ITA that Nicole and Steve S. do a big favor for the GOP by being on television now. Pence, like Cruz/Ryan/Priebus, is showing himself to be a sanctimonious opportunist and a hypocrite.)

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

I enjoyed Joy's show except for the affection she shows Hugh Hewitt which reminds me of all the awful "Uncle Pat" stuff over Buchanan.

I too have been wondering what all the Hugh Hewitt love is about. Maybe they want to have some conservatives on to seem more balanced in their commentary? Some of the stuff he says is just BS tho, and I'd think Joy wouldn't let him get away with it, whether he's a guest or an "MSNBC analyst", which it seems like the only person who isn't these days is my dog.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

realize this is a bit OT 

Hey, Stern made the news grind! This point has been reached partly 'cuz of him.

I'm tempted to add him back to my Sirius script. Years ago he had about 3 of Trump's old girlfriends on and boy did they dish. One cracked up describing watching him do his own hair every morning! 

The media could have dug this crap up way before now. And lots of other crap rather than giving over their networks to him for the last 12 months. They let him blather on about Hillary's past but they wouldn't look behind his curtain. Just giggled with a, Can you believe he just said that?

• Love 4

I've gone around and around about Nicolle.  I don't have to agree with all of her politics to say, she and Steve Schmidt are the last gasp of a civil GOP

I wonder if hanging out with Rachel has worn off on Nicole.  I used to cringe when I saw her but on the debate coverage, she's pretty fair. Schmidt was great last night.      I'm getting to where I like Nicole.  I don't mind differing opinions, we need them, on both sides.   If it's more, "I see your point, but this is where I'm coming from on that issue", then that's where a conversation can start. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NewDigs said:

Hey, Stern made the news grind! This point has been reached partly 'cuz of him.

I'm tempted to add him back to my Sirius script. Years ago he had about 3 of Trump's old girlfriends on and boy did they dish. One cracked up describing watching him do his own hair every morning! 

The media could have dug this crap up way before now. And lots of other crap rather than giving over their networks to him for the last 12 months. They let him blather on about Hillary's past but they wouldn't look behind his curtain. Just giggled with a, Can you believe he just said that?

Stern's a Trump friend so I wonder how he feels about the interviews being used against him. I don't listen to any of it not on MSNBC or CNN so have no idea if he ever talks about the election now.

One thing that was disappointing were the questions. The mods knew audience questions in advance and had the list to choose from, so they take responsibility for that. And I thought most of their questions were pretty bad as well, without enough followup, except for AC trying to pin him down on "sexual assault" (but not following up completely) and Raddatz trying (and failing) to pin him down on humanitarian aid.

Other than the video, a brief bit about the billion dollar tax write off and the wikileaked hacked email, they pretty much ignored everything print reporters have been digging up since the last debate. What a waste.

Headline at "The Week" is:  "Morning Joe hosts gush over Trump's 'epic' debate performance"

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, jjj said:

Morning Joe tried to compare this to the Bork nomination and the Thomas Supreme Court hearing as low points in American history

What is with MJ and the Bork nomination? I hardly ever watch the show but even I've heard this more than once. I couldn't stand Mika this morning repeatedly saying that Hillary should have explained her actions from 30 years ago. NO, she doesn't have to do that. If it weren't for Eugene Robinson, I would never watch this show.

Add me to the "Hugh Hewitt - WHY?" group. He's just awful. I prefer Nicolle Wallace, and I barely tolerate her.

I saw Rachel ask Tweety about Giuliani. I thought it was a good question and he answered it well. I want Clinton to win for many, many reasons and one of them is that I hope it puts an end to Giuliani ever being out in public again.

Edited by Grommet
  • Love 6

I wondered what happened to my MSNBC and CNN topics. Would have been good to have some kind of announcement of their disappearance.

A problem with the combined thread is that when I scan the posts on it, I often can't tell which network they're referring to. That information used to be understood; now it isn't. So I have a suggestion/request, if it sounds good to the other posters here. Namely, always to state at the top which network you're talking about. It's not always necessary for clarity (for instance, I know that Morning Joe posts are about MSNBC) but it is sometimes. 

(Side benefit: This will keep me from accidentally reading anything about Fox News.)

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I wondered what happened to my MSNBC and CNN topics. Would have been good to have some kind of announcement of their disappearance.

A problem with the combined thread is that when I scan the posts on it, I often can't tell which network they're referring to. That information used to be understood; now it isn't. So I have a suggestion/request, if it sounds good to the other posters here. Namely, always to state at the top which network you're talking about. It's not always necessary for clarity (for instance, I know that Morning Joe posts are about MSNBC) but it is sometimes. 

(Side benefit: This will keep me from accidentally reading anything about Fox News.)

Completety agree!  I am lost reading a lot of the posts.  I don't get MSNBC or FOX so don't know the players.  Great idea!  You should post as a suggestion?

• Love 3

Watched a bit of MSNBC and CNN this morning when I got up and it was all an inane discussion of handshakes. At least the financial guys on CNBC were actually talking about what they said. Wish I got BBC news or Al Jerezza, at least they really cover the news.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NextIteration said:

Fellow female debate watchers from last night, it was not all in our mind.

Which is why I struggled so hard last night - I really was triggered.

I was as well. And while I was not surprised by him talking like that on the video, I am INFURIATED by this doubling down on a "locker room talk" defense. Fuck you Trump, you unbelievable asshole. It's sexual assault and you're a sexual predator, and I cannot believe these two ass clowns on Morning Joe are trying to brush it off in the same way.

Women will remember this. When he and other men like him insist on calling it that they are normalizing it and teaching boys and young men that it's okay to talk like that and to do things like that. Joe and Mika can go to hell.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 10
47 minutes ago, khyber said:

Wish I got BBC news or Al Jerezza, at least they really cover the news.

I used to be able to get The Sky News Live feed on YT and France 24 Live in English, but they are now geo-blocked, but I still got the DW English from Germany.

Edited by atomationage
YT

Here's my thoughts on how SNL will handle this debate spoof.

Baldwin/Trump will be doing arm pushups on his stool, storming around the stage checking his FitBit, looming behind Kate/Hillary until she turns around and sprays him in the face with mace. 

• Love 3

I watched the actual debates on C-SPAN (and was horrified to discover that the minutes of silence before the debates began were so startling to me - help me, I've become  a hapless void that must have my life filled with chatter or I don't exist) and the post-debate pundit blah-blah-blah on MSNBC. Because Maddow and Reid. I so wanted to high-five Maddow through my teevee when she said, as an aside to Wallace, that she can't get behind this "moral high ground" all the late Trump-Train jumpers are trying to hold. It is so transparent and such BS. Those who saw instantly what Trump was and refused to endorse him? Yeah, those people get to stake the high ground. I know, lots of spots left up there, but you do not get a site because you suddenly smacked your head like a V-8 commercial and realized your mistake. It may be petty and unprofessional, but it felt d*mn good to see a teevee pundit express pure disgust at this false "morality" of ditching Trump this late in the game.

Also, I cannot understand why the entire MSNBC panel seems so fascinated with KellyAnne Conway. I think they hope to break through her very plastic, Regina George persona and see if she'll cough up any real dirt. They brought her back live because they "couldn't figure out" what she meant when she said, "Of course I'll stick with Trump...unless..." Golly. I was soooooo sure one of the panel 'o pundits would be able to get her to say, "You broke me. I'm actually an alien spit up by one of the lions Trump Jr. shot and I learned to talk pretty and put on clown make up but...this is...is...too...much...." (cue split pea soup vomit).

I take it back - if they can produce this, then please proceed, MSNBC pundits...

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Padma said:

Stern's a Trump friend so I wonder how he feels about the interviews being used against him. I don't listen to any of it not on MSNBC or CNN so have no idea if he ever talks about the election now.

Took reply to Small Talk.

@potatoradio I had forgotten about how quiet C-Span is! It's almost eerie after the craziness of msm. don't watch them as much as I used to though I seem to be in need of an MJ replacement and I used to  sometimes enjoy Washington Journal. That's where I first saw Chuck Todd.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, NextIteration said:

I live in Indiana and find our Governor to be a big hypocrite!  We went through all the controversy when he signed the bill that allowed 'religious" to discriminate against Gays.  He acts so Christian but only for people like him.

• Love 7

I can't stand the sight of Kellyanne anymore and refuse to watch any part of her insanity.   Everyone must have been gulping straight espresso today the way they were carrying on, especially King Joe, who is as delusional as Drumpf.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

I watched the actual debates on C-SPAN (and was horrified to discover that the minutes of silence before the debates began were so startling to me - help me, I've become  a hapless void that must have my life filled with chatter or I don't exist) and the post-debate pundit blah-blah-blah on MSNBC. Because Maddow and Reid. I so wanted to high-five Maddow through my teevee when she said, as an aside to Wallace, that she can't get behind this "moral high ground" all the late Trump-Train jumpers are trying to hold. It is so transparent and such BS. Those who saw instantly what Trump was and refused to endorse him? Yeah, those people get to stake the high ground. I know, lots of spots left up there, but you do not get a site because you suddenly smacked your head like a V-8 commercial and realized your mistake. It may be petty and unprofessional, but it felt d*mn good to see a teevee pundit express pure disgust at this false "morality" of ditching Trump this late in the game.

Also, I cannot understand why the entire MSNBC panel seems so fascinated with KellyAnne Conway. I think they hope to break through her very plastic, Regina George persona and see if she'll cough up any real dirt. They brought her back live because they "couldn't figure out" what she meant when she said, "Of course I'll stick with Trump...unless..." Golly. I was soooooo sure one of the panel 'o pundits would be able to get her to say, "You broke me. I'm actually an alien spit up by one of the lions Trump Jr. shot and I learned to talk pretty and put on clown make up but...this is...is...too...much...." (cue split pea soup vomit).

I take it back - if they can produce this, then please proceed, MSNBC pundits...

Exactly!  WHY are folks acting like its something new with Trump that he's spouting vile remarks....he has been making vile remarks since he 1st started campaigning...when he insulted Sen.McCain for being a POW(my father was a WW2 POW) I was so incensed!  He has insulted everyone, even a Gold Star Family...why werent these Repubs outraged by that?!  Trump is a vile person & he had the gall to say Hillary had "hate in her heart"!?

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

he had the gall to say Hillary had "hate in her heart"!?

He's projecting his feelings on to her.  Same with praising her for not quitting.  He was talking about himself, as always.   Barbra Streisand wrote a HuffPo article about it.    Nathaniel Branden wrote The Disowned Self.  He was a lover of Ayn Rand, so you can imagine how that all ties back in with Drumpf.

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Glad you made it. The only explanation of the change is in the newly titled "The Business of Networks" thread that's replaced it. Good idea re: labeling. I don't want to read about FOX news either (esp. now that O'Reilly is on about the "media conspiracy to make Trump lose".

MSNBC:

With All Due Respect was extremely depressing. They played many clips from Trump supporters at today's rally responding to what they saw last night. No wonder the GOP leadership has a problem--they've created a monster.

Heilmann and Halperin seem very compromised in their commentary--I think they're still in need of Trump's approval and access in order to get what they need for their new book. But at least they had Donny on and--even without much support from them--he made some good criticisms, including the physical intimidation on stage (H&H rationalized it away--Heilmann as misleading camera work and Halperin as a lack of practice for a townhall.  To the contrary, I think that was the only thing he practiced--and they said he had a Hillary stand-in, probably KA. I don't think he practiced any content, as he had none. His supporters were happy with it all though--loved the "jail", and how he "hit her", "punched her out", etc--lots of extra-aggressive imagery.)

Dan Senor, of all people, made a good point about the failing of GOP leaders to acknowledge that what Trump bragged about was sexual assault. He thinks it over, but that Trump wants to take a lot of Republicans down with him.

• Love 5

CNN:

Watched (and was infuriated by) some moments of Situation Room this afternoon in which they dared suggest that both candidates engaged in vicious attacks last night. They then showed the clips that supposedly illustrated this, which, naturally, only contained vicious attacks by Trump upon Clinton--since these these were the only vicious attacks that occurred. But no, Wolf Blitzer can't say that. He has to maintain some sort of "equivalency" between them, like it's the 2016 campaign that's getting dirty, not Donald Trump. Gah.

• Love 10

Also, I've noticed around my neighborhood and surrounding areas that there are very, very, few campaign signs--far fewer than I have ever seen in any election.  There is one lone sign for Gary Johnson across the street from me, (it's not mine--I don't have any, lol), and I've seen a couple of Trump signs.  Even driving around the area, I don't see any bumper stickers for the candidates, other than a sticker for Bernie Sanders here and there.  It really is a startling thing to (not) see, and I guess it's a reflection of the dismay with the campaign and the candidates?  At least in my area that's what seems to be happening. 

So, I think it would be interesting for MSNBC, CNN or the other networks to just do tours around neighborhoods across the country just to see what signs are up. 

• Love 1

Same here--I live in a blue state, but I don't really see many Clinton-Kaine signs--I do see a few Trump signs--but here it is mostly signs for people running in local races.    I think Jacob Soboroff has done some reporting on local signs when they've had him out doing his color pieces that they play over and over.

2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

Exactly.  They say character is who you are when you don't think anyone else is looking.  Well, guess what?  Trump has shown who he was in living color for well over a year. All the pearl clutching and hyperventilating is nothing but theater.  Not one of these mofos can claim with a straight face that this is not the man they knew.  I don't even think Trump's wife can credibly make that claim.

Every time the bar was lowered for Trump, he slithered under it like the orange slug he is, and dared the party to say something.  The more they squirmed and issued empty threats, the more emboldened he became.  The weasely Speaker Ryan had a conference call with his caucus today where he all but told his members to take care of themselves and forget the top of the ticket.  Sorry y'all!  You chose to roll around in the mud with this pig, you own him.  And, that goes for his collaborators and enablers in the media, including Joe and Meek-a.

Rachel, Joy and, dare I say, Nicole have been bringing their A-game to what has been an emotionally and physically draining process.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, car54 said:

Vice nightly news starts tonight on HBO.

And is featuring an interview with John Boehner, which should be interesting. I like to imagine he's spending all his time in a hot tub with a cigar laughing. 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, jenrising said:

And is featuring an interview with John Boehner, which should be interesting. I like to imagine he's spending all his time in a hot tub with a cigar laughing. 

And, don't forget a glass of Merlot!  He drove me nuts sometimes, but I can imagine him sending Paul Ryan an engaved note saying, "I told you so!"

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, 33kaitykaity said:

Chris just had on a guest, Rebecca Traister, who was fiery about how Donald's menacing and stalking of Hillary was degrading.  I am glad to have a word now to accurately describe how I feel.  

This article is hers.  

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/trumps-one-service-was-exposing-the-misogyny-of-the-gop.html

I just saw that segment, and I wholeheartedly agree.  It was a clear attempt to intimidate and humiliate Secretary Clinton, and I'm glad she reminded viewers of what Trump's ghostwriter once said about his tendency to project onto others his own faults.  His hatred of Secretary Clinton (because that's what it was) practically leaped through the television screen last night.  It was jarring and very uncomfortable to watch.

Everything Trump said about her and Bill could just as easily apply to himself and Melania.  He's so crude, narcissistic and trifling that he thinks nothing about how his own wife's humiliation and discomfort as he repeatedly attempted to minimize his admitting that he sexually assaults women and wanted to screw a married acquaintance barely months after he and Melania married.  

• Love 11