Type keyword(s) to search

The 24hr News Grind

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, jjj said:

But those Howard Stern interviews happened over a long period of time.  Stern has some admirers whom I like (Dave Letterman, for one), but I just think he is gross -- and not for entertainment purposes.  I have never heard his show live -- just the parts that end up in the news. 

I'm an almost unapologetic Stern fan. And though Robin, his newsperson, isn't 100% accurate Howard takes great pleasure in knowing what he's talking about and seems to enjoy unmasking celebs. His interview style gets 'em comfortable, then he leads them a bit and next thing they've said something embarrassing or is new news. He's good. I didn't pay the extra Sirius for him but would love to hear his take now. It's kind of a shame his raunch is what most remember. A shame but understandable.

After the MSNBC Todd v Paladino (?) takedown I switched to CNN and heard another unhinged discussion. Another refusal to admit sexual assault is wrong. This time because the person making the claim wouldn't go on camera and identify herself. I think she told the on-air person that Trump gave her a Tic-Tac and then moved in and kissed her on the lips. Doesn't count 'cuz she wouldn't right then and there go public. I got his "circumstantial" argument but he wouldn't he even answer it as a hypothetical.

• Love 3

Meanwhile, Mike Pence is skipping the debate to go to an NFL Colts game.  That is mind-boggling.  (Said earlier on MSNBC, and just again now.)  I mean, even if he had not been planning to attend, this is the moment that the candidate needs the support of his inner circle.  This is making clear that Pence is not in the inner circle, or does not want to be this weekend. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I blame them for not doing their jobs and instead becoming cheerleaders for one candidate to the exception of any other news.

They wanted ratings, and there was always the chance that tRump would say something controversial, again so it drove ratings.  MSNBC disgusts me the most - after the Comcast takeover Andy Lack felt free to abandon the progressiveness of it.  All networks are guilty of covering the horse race, and not the issues. :(

• Love 6

Everyone seems to be sitting there at Washington U, and I can't remember who said it, but Pence has supposedly suspended campaigning until Drumpf makes a better apology.   Chris Christie is staying away from the debate, and Reince Priebus wouldn't go on the Sunday morning shows, so they got stuck with Ghouliani.  The only person I've seen defending Drumpf is Jeff Sessions, with Wolfie interviewing him.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I'm an almost unapologetic Stern fan. And though Robin, his newsperson, isn't 100% accurate Howard takes great pleasure in knowing what he's talking about and seems to enjoy unmasking celebs. His interview style gets 'em comfortable, then he leads them a bit and next thing they've said something embarrassing or is new news. He's good. I didn't pay the extra Sirius for him but would love to hear his take now. It's kind of a shame his raunch is what most remember. A shame but understandable.

You know what I don't get?  Wouldn't most fathers have threatened to, or actually have, beaten the shit out of Stern for referring to their daughters as a "piece of ass?"  I can't think of anyone who believed that Trump was a faithful huzzbinn, but as the father of a daughter?  Even if those comments were taken out of context, what normal father would explicitly or tacitly be like, "Yeah."  I also have to wonder what Ivanka's husband must be thinking.  

My challenge to Secretary Clinton:  Shake Trump's hand tonight without barfing or wiping your hand on the side of your slacks.

11 minutes ago, jjj said:

Meanwhile, Mike Pence is skipping the debate to go to an NFL Colts game.  That is mind-boggling.  (Said earlier on MSNBC, and just again now.)  I mean, even if he had not been planning to attend, this is the moment that the candidate needs the support of his inner circle.  This is making clear that Pence is not in the inner circle, or does not want to be this weekend. 

It definitely lends credence to the theory that Pence's "performance" the other night was his attempt to shore up for 2020.  He actually shocked me because I fully expected him to say, "He didn't say that," in response to any questions about the video.

I suspect that Team Trump was counting on Pence to actually run the country (the way Darth Cheney did) while Trump went about "making America great again."  At least, that was the offer made to Governor Kasich by one of Trump's sons.  

• Love 5

Oh, for the love of Pete, would MSNBC *please* get A.J. Delgado off the air? (Blonde who has been on every hour today defending Trump)  Is the choice for guests either her, Guiliani, or the conspiracy-theory co-chair of the NY Trump effort?    Delgado's message is awful, and her voice like a doll's recording on fast forward.  At least Rachel is appropriately perplexed with her.  But enough. 

ETA:  OMG, OMG, the Trump press conference with the Bill Clinton accusers.  This is horrible. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

I wanted to go to the gym before the debate.  I can't look away. 

1 minute ago, 33kaitykaity said:

OMFG -- Trump really did it. He's sitting with all of Bill Clinton's RWNJ accusers.  Astonishing, but not in a good way.  These anchors are nearly speechless.  

• Love 2

If I were trying to hold the Republican Party together, I would be utterly outraged at this latest stunt.  It is so far outside the political sphere.  As someone on MSNBC just said, "we can't image what the Republican Party will look like tomorrow."  Brian W:  "or in the next five minutes" 

Chris Hayes just tweeted:  "The goal has clearly shifted from winning the election to imposing maximum humiliation on Hillary Clinton."  And  "Tonight is going to be so so dark."

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Unbelievable.    I hope he shoots himself in his own foot.

And someplace else.

Rachel is saying this is pure Steve Bannon, who "is standing in the corner smirking". 

Will the debate be even worse, and wipe out this horrifying press conference?

Edited by jjj
  • Love 4

Watched the drumpfettes on the cnn live feed on YT.  Some people were laughing, I don't know if at them or not.

Breitbart had this trending immediately somehow.

A short joke video,  Drumpf's apology without the BS:

Edited by atomationage
14 minutes ago, car54 said:

Ok, this is going to get ugly.     Trump is staging a photo op with the women who have accused Bill Clinton ---the press pool looks like they're in shock.

They should be.  Not only has Trump declared war on the Clintons, Hillary in particular, but he has also declared war on the GOP.

From what I read in the NYT today, he was advised not to do this; meanwhile, his sychophants urged him on.  I agree with Chris Matthews.

This campaign has gone deeply into the gutter even more than it already was.  So much for focusing on the issues tonight.  Everything this stubby-fingered fucker touches turns to shit.

Edited by MulletorHater
  • Love 4

So much talk on MSNBC about the Republican Party and its future after tonight.  He was never part of the Republican Party.  Now they are paying the price for nominating someone who never played in their sandbox at any level. 

I didn't think she should shake his hand for sanitary reasons.  Now it really is a matter of principle.  There is no fencing détente here. 

Yes, Sen. Claire McCaskill  on MSNBC saying "this is not the way to get women's votes".  But that is no longer the point. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

I'm not a mod, but I love reading all the thoughts and opinions here.  You all are my peeps!  It's just that I don't want this thread to go away, so I'm wondering if there's a way to express all the outrage while still focusing on the networks and network people that are bringing it to us.  (Personally, this whole thing is making me sick, so I'll be watching baseball tonight).  

Hope you all don't take this the wrong way.  And I hope the mods don't take it the wrong way either (board on boards or something-don't mean it like that).  I just like this thread and want it to stay around.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I'm not a mod, but I love reading all the thoughts and opinions here.  You all are my peeps!  It's just that I don't want this thread to go away, so I'm wondering if there's a way to express all the outrage while still focusing on the networks and network people that are bringing it to us.  (Personally, this whole thing is making me sick, so I'll be watching baseball tonight).  

Hope you all don't take this the wrong way.  And I hope the mods don't take it the wrong way either (board on boards or something-don't mean it like that).  I just like this thread and want it to stay around.

Point well taken, EBK57.  

I love Eugene Robinson and devour his columns every week.  Admittedly, it's kind of hard watching a man with his gravitas in the same room with that twit, Brian Williams.  Eugene is clearly perplexed by what has happened.  I can't say that I blame him.

I'm surprised that they're having this discussion yet again about what will force a change at the top of the ticket when it was thoroughly covered by the talking heads and legal whizzes on MSNBC all day yesterday.

• Love 1

Yes, I keep trying to cite MSNBC/CNN, but slip sometimes!

Brian W just now -- "We are in missing-woman formation, because Nicolle has stepped away to..." [ what, throw up?  Get Purell? take a shower?] "...do some reporting"

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

The press corp and at least the people on MSNBC seem to be in shock.   Trump is like a suicide bomber--if he's going down he is going down and taking them with him.     
It feels like we're watching history--dirty history--being made tonight.

I'm going to have to take the day after debates off work--this is too stressful and I will probably not be able to sleep after all this hoopla.

• Love 4

YES!  JAMES CARVILLE!  "Drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find" JAMES CARVILLE!

Carville on Trump, "He's exhausted, he's mad, and he's just flailing away out there." "He is a tired, overweight, old man, and he is LOSING"  "We have no idea what he will do out there tonight."  "I've been through this a gazillion times.  The guy [Trump] is very very stupid, and my candidate will do very well tonight."

Edited by jjj
  • Love 8

Carville is my absolute favorite--I want to plant a kiss on his ol' serpent head.

So if you are the tv director of this show, do you tell the camera guys to try to show these women and Bill Clinton's face or do you tell them to avoid them?

I just hope Bill doesn't have a heart attack--he's got a temper.

I would not want to be Anderson and Martha --they had a hard job before this, but this is a freaking mess to try to keep control of.

• Love 3

I wish I had known that Trump was going to pull this stunt before coming home to my dry town. I need more wine. What in the hell is going on? What happened? Has he lost his mind? I turn on MSNBC and everyone looks so grim, and Trump is sitting in a room full of women. The banner says "Breaking News! Trump Meets With Clinton Accusers!" Who does this hurt? Bill Clinton? What is he running for? How does this hurt Hillary? I feel sorry for her, he's trying to humiliate her. Just like the news anchors on MSNBC I have never seen anything like this in my life. I am hurt for Hillary Clinton, just hurt. I've already voted, and yes, I'm with Her, and after the stunts that Trump has pulled, every single vagina owner that I know are with Her! 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Thanks! It hasn't been long for having a second chance. I don't want to blow it either.  Plus this is a public service to people in my life as after what I just saw on MSNBC and CNN I'd be ranting.

Briefly left MSNBC for the horrible big CNN panel. Gloria Borger actually looked depressed after Trump's fake "debate prep". She, Axe and Smerconish seemed in agreement that DT has come ignoring all the good advice he's gotten about ignoring the 1990s (inc. from Gingrich, who should know) and is doing what he always does when attacked (per The Art of the Deal) "hit back, ten times harder".

Scottie then responded (just like AJ before her) that we shouldn't ignore "the Clintons" and their crimes. I see the fourth woman was the rape victim of the man whom Hillary, as a public defender, had to defend. I wouldn't think that belonged there, but since Trump has ZERO understanding or appreciation of the law...guess so.

Back at MSNBC, I loved Steve Schmidt's complete contempt for him, the prediction that "January will see Schumer as Maj. Leader" and in a couple of weeks it may even be evident the House will go Democratic, too, especially as Trump seems determined to attack his critics rather than show any amount of party loyalty at all. If he loses--but takes down the House and Senate with him--he'll consider it a victory for him and his supporters.  Sick guy, but it should never have gotten this far. I liked whoever it was on with Chuck earlier who said Mitt Romney's looking like a profile in courage now.

I hope Hillary does as Clailre said she would in the interview with Matthews--"when they go low, we go high". I think she's going to really be put to the test tonight.

• Love 5

At least they showed the video of Trump dogging Paula Jones.  Funny how that "ugly loser" has become an ally.  

I remember the segment Rachel did on her show a few weeks ago about the guy who manufactured stuff on the Clintons.  Evidently, he was so shady that even the Bushes had to send out mailers and make phone calls to supporters to ignore the guy and made it clear he had nothing to do with their campaign.  Rachel did an excellent job tracing this guy's history and how he is now with the Trump campaign.  It certainly puts things in perspective when the panel mentioned how the people on Trump's team, including Kellyanne, are veterans of the Clinton wars from the 1990's.

It's going to be a lonnnnnggg night.   

• Love 2

The four women accusing Clinton can't be there at the town hall meeting right?  Don't they have to be from St.Louis and invited?

I guess I'll be watching on the C-Span live feed.

Edited by atomationage
right?
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, atomationage said:

It was kind of dumb for all the CNN folk to sit outside where they could be shouted down by an organized group of disrupters. 

I hate the noise but get a kick out of the signs. Saw a couple for Harambe.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, atomationage said:

The four women accusing Clinton can't be there at the town hall meeting right?  Don't they have to be from St.Louis and invited?

I guess I'll be watching on the C-Span live feed.

That's what I was thinking.

But there they are. Front row.

Larry's here!

Is Chris H. coming back?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

But there they are. Front row.

I just saw that.  I hope they're in the front row of a balcony.

Bill Clinton's looking around.  Chelsea has control of the situation.

Edited by atomationage
1 minute ago, Queena said:

This is sad y'all. He's like a SNL skit. I can't believe he said Isis in response to the video. 

I'd rather hear about ISIS and jobs in NY than what we are braced for. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, jjj said:

I'd rather hear about ISIS and jobs in NY than what we are braced for. 

I don't think that he has the guts to go there. 

Opps, wtf...this muthafucka...

Edited by Queena
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Queena said:

I don't think that he has the guts to go there.   Opps, wtf...this muthafucka...

We knew it was coming.  But he does not seem to know the difference between Bill and Hillary.

Applause?  Really?

Oh, okay, I don't mind the cheers for Hillary.  I'm a hypocrite, I own it.  Hat-tip to Michelle Obama for the "low/high" quote, thanks!

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3
Just now, random chance said:

The sniffing is even more pronounced this time. Is that shortness of breath or allergies or what?

He seems to have problems breathing.   Maybe he needs his nasal passages re-done after the coke habit.

Just now, car54 said:

Or Howard Dean was right.  SNIFFF.

Yeah I think so.

• Love 4
Just now, jjj said:

We knew it was coming.  But he does not seem to know the difference between Bill and Hillary.

Applause?  Really?

Once again, I've read the Snopes article on the court case, Hillary didn't laugh...and again, how is Hillary at fault for Bills transgressions? He's sad. Sad. Sad. Sad. Sad. This is sad. I can't wait to see the after debate commentary on MSNBC. Trump is a sore loser. 

• Love 2