Type keyword(s) to search

The 24hr News Grind

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, auntl said:

Did anyone see Shepard Smith's storm coverage on FOX yesterday? He was trying to encourage people to evacuate, but he was totally over the top. He was telling people that they would be dead and FOX would not cover their funerals or feel sorry for them if they were stupid and didn't follow mandatory evacuations.

I didn't see it on TV but someone on Facebook posted a fuzzy video of what I thought was a meteorologist that sounded like him saying all of that. Had no idea it really was him though because the video didn't have a name attached to it. Sadly it takes that kind of bluntness sometimes to get through to people. I can see how over the top it seems to the rest of us though.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, David T. Cole said:

From @Jaded's suggestion in Questions. A place to discuss hosts, content of news programs on CNN/MSNBC/FN/et al that probably don't have the juice to carry their own forums.

Does the "et. al." include streamed-only content, i.e., "The Young Turks" or "The Randi Rhodes Show" through YT?

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, auntl said:

Did anyone see Shepard Smith's storm coverage on FOX yesterday? He was trying to encourage people to evacuate, but he was totally over the top. He was telling people that they would be dead and FOX would not cover their funerals or feel sorry for them if they were stupid and didn't follow mandatory evacuations.

I didn't see it, but I get it.  He was the last one in New Orleans after every other network pulled their folks out, and he stood their 24/7 brokenhearted about everything that went down.  I don't imagine that he ever really got over it.

• Love 5

I'm in Florida and all network TV has been preempted since yesterday in favor of emergency storm coverage. This leads to such things as breaking local "news" of a shot of a blue plastic tarp secured over a stack of lumber that had come untied at the bottom and was now ... fluttering in the wind. Also a breathless reporter standing in the middle of a street nervously telling us that we had "just missed" a car driving down the street that had veered close to where she was standing! In the street! Riveting stuff.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, 33kaitykaity said:

Does the "et. al." include streamed-only content, i.e., "The Young Turks" or The Randi Rhodes Show" through YT?

and Keith Olbermann on the GQ,YT channel and The David Pakman show on his YT channel. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Queena said:

Joy Reid took on Michelle Bachman, and it was lovely. 

I hope that this is the right place to say this. 

Boo Chris Matthews from rescusing Bachman. 

Joy is aptly named - when she's at the helm,  I know any  Trump surrogate being interviewed will not be left to spin a mountain of sour cotton candy - she's just so good at her job. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 10

Switching back among all three CNN-MSNBC-FOX re: Trump video. All did pretty well (by midnight EST) with none really finding anything positive to spin. But Lawrence O'D on MSNBC has really been strong--the only one with three women (all critical) at the table, Andrea Mitchell (trying for "softening" but unable), Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) live responding, and David Fahrenthold himself, the Wash Post reporter who broke the story. Great job.

• Love 7

My highlight over the last three hours of CNN news was Ana Navarro, in an epic moment of talk headery.  Scottie Hughes chastised Ana for saying "p*ssy" (Scottie: "My daughter is watching this show!") and Ana screamed ("You're offended when *I* say P*SSY but not when the man you're SUPPORTING FOR PRESIDENT SAYS IT?!!") and Tara Setmeyer screamed at Scottie "You're a MOTHER FIRST!!" -- and then Ana flipped a table and Scottie confessed she had Talkhausen's -- and I stood and cheered Ana and Tara, two Republican talking heads (a first for everything!) like my biggest dream had finally just come true (Matt Lauer removing his mask during Super Bowl halftime revealing he really is the King of the Lizard People Alex Jones keep talking about). I was THAT happy.

But  in cable news, happiness is even more fleeting than any french cookie. All that realness and confrontation unsettled Don Lemon, who retreated into full on Catholic schoolboy "Father Benedict, may I clean the erasers?" mode in the next segment, which he squandered on building bridges with Scottie, asking her to get in touch with her feelings about defending Trump, as a woman (me, I would've said "How does it feel defending Trump, you being a p*ssy owner and all?") but Scottie deflected and instead trashed HRC, and Don Lemon remembered what Father told him about difficult people ("Your patience brings them closer to god, Don") and he talked even more softly-- sidelining Tara, who was ready to fly like American Pharoah headed for the final lap -- but Scottie's mother didn't raise no fools, only tools, and she stuck to her script and Don ended the counseling session, trying to be At Peace with it all, but clearly unsatisfied ("Dear Diary; today at work I failed to knit together all the souls of my panel into one mosaic of love. Also, why does Kathy Griffin not ask me to do New Years?  Maybe Father Benedict can help me find the answer.") The last time I had this much fun watching cable news, Charles Grodin was talking about his sex life to a single camera (like Carrie Bradshaw in the first few episodes of SATC) on a fledgling MSNBC -- all nasal tones and 20 seconds of silent air at a time -- good times.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 16

I found  the Hardball segment with Joy Reid and Michele Bachmann by searching the internet.  So Michele makes pronouncements about God and what God does to punish others based on her opinions and Chris Mathews shuts down Joy's quotes using Michele's own words. Joy wasn't attacking Michele's religion.  It is a shame that Chris lets Michele attack others using religion just because she throws around the word "God".  That isn't religion!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, film noire said:

My highlight over the last three hours of CNN news was Ana Navarro, in an epic moment of talk headery.  Scottie Hughes chastised Ana for saying "p*ssy" (Scottie: "My daughter is watching this show!") and Ana screamed ("You're offended when *I* say P*SSY but not when the man you're SUPPORTING FOR PRESIDENT SAYS IT?!!") and Tara Setmeyer screamed at Scottie "You're a MOTHER FIRST!!" -- and then Ana flipped a table and Scottie confessed she had Talkhausen's -- and I stood and cheered Ana and Tara, two Republican talking heads (a first for everything!) like my biggest dream had finally just come true (Matt Lauer removing his mask during Super Bowl halftime revealing he really is the King of the Lizard People Alex Jones keep talking about). I was THAT happy.

But  in cable news, happiness is even more fleeting than any french cookie. All that realness and confrontation unsettled Don Lemon, who retreated into full on Catholic schoolboy "Father Benedict, may I clean the erasers?" mode in the next segment, which he squandered on building bridges with Scottie, asking her to get in touch with her feelings about defending Trump, as a woman (me, I would've said "How does it feel defending Trump, you being a p*ssy owner and all?") but Scottie deflected and instead trashed HRC, and Don Lemon remembered what Father told him about difficult people ("Your patience brings them closer to god, Don") and he talked even more softly-- sidelining Tara, who was ready to fly like American Pharoah headed for the final lap -- but Scottie's mother didn't raise no fools, only tools, and she stuck to her script and Don ended the counseling session, trying to be At Peace with it all, but clearly unsatisfied ("Dear Diary; today at work I failed to knit together all the souls of my panel into one mosaic of love. Also, why does Kathy Griffin not ask me to do New Years?  Maybe Father Benedict can help me find the answer.") The last time I had this much fun watching cable news, Charles Grodin was talking about his sex life to a single camera (like Carrie Bradshaw in the first few episodes of SATC) on a fledgling MSNBC -- all nasal tones and 20 seconds of silent air at a time -- good times.

I saw that. I was laughing so hard I nearly fell off the sofa during the P word meltdown. Little Don totally lost control of his show, but it was epic fun!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, madfortv said:

I found  the Hardball segment with Joy Reid and Michele Bachmann by searching the internet.  So Michele makes pronouncements about God and what God does to punish others based on her opinions and Chris Mathews shuts down Joy's quotes using Michele's own words. Joy wasn't attacking Michele's religion.  It is a shame that Chris lets Michele attack others using religion just because she throws around the word "God".  That isn't religion!

Chris Matthews was wrong for interceding. I wanted Bachmann to answer Joy's (what a fitting name) question. 

• Love 4

I can't even comprehend why Matthews has Crazy Eyes Bachmann on his show - he's the one that uncovered the crazy we Minnesotans know and hate for the world to see!  I don't hate Tweety as much as some others do, but he often confounds me. ...off to find the pussy meltdown, I've thought Lemon was worthless since his night time weekend gig, I don't understand how he got a prime time show.

• Love 1

Alex Witt (anchor) actually countered one of Jack Kingston's (Trumpbot) many lies this morning.  Will wonders never cease?  Kingston asserted that Clinton was beholdened to Wall street, but that trump was independent.  alex came right back with no, Trump hasn't, nor will he, release his taxes, so we don't know who Trump owes money to.  

Joy has been such a good influence on Msnbc.  clap.gif

ETA:  It looks like Katy Tur is back in NY, no more Road Warrior for her for a while, no Trump lascivious leers. (Katy is Lara Logan kind of pretty.) In her just devastating reporting on the Trump campaign, Katy seems to be relishing every critical word.  (Well, I know I would be anyway.)

QSRLXjh.jpg

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 7

It's like MSNBC dragged everybody in for this. I  turned it on at about 6 this morning and assumed I was watching a replay of last night's LO'D but then, there was Chuck Todd too! And more. 

Heard Kingston on the way to work and loved Alex Witt's Kingston-throw-down. Though he seems completely oblivious to there being an issue. Was not sure who the interviewer was so, thanks, to @33kaitykaity

It might have been on CNN (I flip channels a lot esp. driving) but some brave soul finally lit into someone about the apology looking really staged. And practically coerced. About time! 

What took these people so long????? (rhetorical)

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

Oh, *here* you all are -- trying to find my way around the boards after a few days away.  Never thought Hewitt would jump off the a Trump train -- amazing.  

Lawrence O'Donnell did a great job for four hours straight last night, waiting for the apology and then dealing with the star callers like Andrea Mitchell and Chris Matthews.  Although Chris spent way too much time talking about Bill Clinton.  

I suspect MSNBC is ramping up for much more coverage than it planned for this weekend.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, 33kaitykaity said:

Alex Witt (anchor) actually countered one of Jack Kingston's (Trumpbot) many lies this morning.  Will wonders never cease?  Kingston asserted that Clinton was beholdened to Wall street, but that trump was independent.  alex came right back with no, Trump hasn't, nor will he, release his taxes, so we don't know who Trump owes money to.  

Joy has been such a good influence on Msnbc.  clap.gif

ETA:  It looks like Katy Tur is back in NY, no more Road Warrior for her for a while, no Trump lascivious leers. (Katy is Lara Logan kind of pretty.) In her just devastating reporting on the Trump campaign, Katy seems to be relishing every critical word.  (Well, I know I would be anyway.)

Per Joy, Katy's anchoring her own show (for the day?) today at 2 p.m.  I enjoyed Joy's show except for the affection she shows Hugh Hewitt which reminds me of all the awful "Uncle Pat" stuff over Buchanan. Why do they all like him so much on MSNBC?  Even today, while saying Trump should drop out, it wasn't that he was describing having committed sexual harassment, battery and assault so casually (I just got off a jury in a trial over battery. I don't think Trump has the first idea about the law.) 

Hewitt's reason for wanting him to drop out is simply that "he can't win".  (Of course he had to talk about how het hates Hillary and she'd be a "disaster" for the SC.  Not surprisingly, our ideas of "disaster" there differ).  I mean, good he's saying Trump should get out, but he seems like he'd still be supporting him if the behavior and attitudes had just remained hidden.

I'm wondering about Scarborough on Monday. Will he and Mika be "appalled" by Trump once again? And how long will this time last?  I'm sure everyone who knows him personally knows that's how he is. Donny Deutsch was getting into it last week, but Joe cut him off. Maybe they'll bring him back now and let him finish his stories.

• Love 3

Let's see how the debate goes, but I fully expect disgust on Morning Joe.  I have to say that I am surprised that everyone is so surprised about this tape.  He has always been gross, and I just figured everyone realized that.  But today and last night, it seems like the audio tape has forced everyone who knew he is gross could no longer ignore it publicly.  I don't think Morning Joe can buck this tide.  

I never noticed Elise Jordan until the Sunday shows last weekend, when she was condemning Trump.  Last night and this morning she is a really articulate Republican critic of Trump.  And I appreciate that she is being consistent with her views before all this broke.  And she has been on several shows over the past twelve hours. 

One tweet said that a big question that will never be answered is "where the hell was the opposition research between June 2015 and the nomination?"  

• Love 3

Hmmm.  Pence just denounced the Trump tape.    Jockeying for position?

So glad to see Katy get a shot anchoring.  I follow her on Twitter and the other day she mentioned she was counting down the days til the election and looking forward to some normal life things.

• Love 3

Trump says he values loyalty above everything. This comment by Pence--while undoubtedly cleared with the campaign--doesn't bode well for the Trump-Pence partnership, especially on top of all the praise for Pence in the debate.  Even after yesterday's bombshell, I thought Trump would get it together and go to his usual Plan A: the phony charm.  But after waiting for LOD to show the video this a.m., I think Trump's much too angry and defensive to be charming.  That video was awful in so many ways (including the way it was shot).

If he can't get it back by tomorrow, this debate will be one for the history books, esp. having to talk to ordinary Americans, something he's never done. Even on Hannity's townhalls with him, they're all pre-screened supporters with questions fielded by his #1 cheerleader.  Carr's townhall was in a similar mode and he was pretty awful, so I don't see how he pulls it off tomorrow. He could, he's certainly wriggled out of campaign-ending moments before, but it's hard to imagine how he could on this one--unless Hillary blows it. herself somehow

• Love 5

The Pence statement is quite surprising, given his denial of all those Trump statements last week.  

In a different topic, Chris Jansing has been on hurricane duty for the past few days, originally indoors, but this morning standing in water in South Carolina.  Casual, waterproof chic, very different from her cool summer style.  

• Love 1

Yes, it is good to see Katy Tur anchoring.  She has certainly paid a lot of dues this year.  

I just realized there is probably no MTP this Sunday, as the schedule appears to be dawn to dusk debate coverage.  So much more to talk about than they had planned.  

Katy actually seemed to catch Chuck Todd by surprise by asking him about Ryan's next steps.  Hallie standing in front of Trump Tower in the rain -- I'm sure Katy is sympathetic. 

I also wondered if there is a political reason for the public denunciation by Pence.  I can't image the campaign approving that particular statement, unless it is trying to separate them.  

45 minutes ago, car54 said:

Hmmm.  Pence just denounced the Trump tape.    Jockeying for position?

So glad to see Katy get a shot anchoring.  I follow her on Twitter and the other day she mentioned she was counting down the days til the election and looking forward to some normal life things.

• Love 2

Yippee, 5:00 AM out here!  Thanks!  ;). Seriously, I'll be watching!

18 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

@jjj MTP airs at 8 am est on NBC.  There won't be debate coverage then, and it's an hour before AM Joy starts!!   :)

Edited by jjj

Holy cow, Melania Trump is condemning what he said. MSNBC is showing her statement on campaign letterhead.  She hopes we will accept his apology.  ("apology")

Katy just burned Ed Martin (Missouri Rep Party) -- "Well, you sound just like Corey Lewandowski yesterday, saying that we are not electing a Sunday School teacher."  

Martin also tried to equate these Trump remarks with HRC's work as a defense lawyer back in Arkansas -- right, because in a a Trump administration, only the innocent get attorneys?  And we can tell who is innocent by their appearance.  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, film noire said:

Are we sure Melania didn't lift that from FLOTUS's twitter?  

Heh, I have to admit that I was close to saying something snarky like that!  On a separate note, on one of the MSNBC hours this morning, one commentator said "no one will want to be the last person off the Titanic."  I see MSNBC has joined the news outlets noting that John McCain has just withdrawn his endorsement, on top of a day of dis-endorsements.  I wonder what the one supporter is that he really does not want to lose.  Or loses so many that the party just gives up and tries to pour all the money into Senate races.  Tic Tacs also issued a statement in support of women and denouncing the remarks on the Friday tape.  As Joy Reid retweeted, "man, you got yelled at by tic tacs.  this is not going well." 

Since we can talk about CNN on this thread, I'll add this new set of audio recordings between Trump and Howard Stern.  It is very gross, much more so than the clip from Friday night.  But a lot of this was already known; just ignored.  I think that what disturbed me most were not his personal choices or descriptions of intimate activity, but his attitude that he got to "inspect" the Miss Universe contestants backstage and naked while they were dressing -- "because I want to make sure that everything is good".   http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/trump-on-howard-stern/index.html?adkey=bn

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

Ewwww, I swear, this has to be the Clinton Campaign backing up the oppo-research dump truck to the media and unloading.  All those clips at once?  This appears to be the set up for tomorrow night.  Remember, the campaign released the Mirrors ad on the Friday before the last debate and had Alicia Machado (an ad, a  conference call and interviews set up) waiting in the wings.

• Love 1

Happy to see Ari Melber brought on, a lawyer who understands that Trump described sexual assault. It's not just, as these surrogates keep saying, "time to move on".

If Trump thinks Bill Clinton's behavior was so bad 20 years ago (mainly two consensual affairs and a lot of innuendo), I don't see how reminding us about it--and the waste of time caused by impeachment hearings over it--are supposed to make us want a Donald Trump presidency. (And I wish the hosts would stop letting them talk about how Hillary targeted and "abused" Bill's accusers, some of whom were actually shown to be lying. Also, initially, she believed him about Monica. I think Trump forgets that polls showed Hillary was very sympathetic to most people during that time.)

The more they show Trump's -full- "apology", the more I hate it.  He isn't embarrassed or ashamed or contrite or genuinely sorry (notice how he doesn't apologize to the women, or even Billy Bush who was 20 years younger and embarrassed himself trying to kiss up to an unworthy, very powerful, man)

He's not embarrassed. He's defiant and he's angry.  I hope he stays that way.

• Love 5

Politico has reported the RNC has put a hold on planned email campaigns for Trump and removed his name from call scripts.    

I'm glad to see Ari anchoring--I really like his legal perspectives.  I really liked the new Sunday show he is doing --The Pulse--with live polling on stories.

Also glad to see Ari on the air.  You are right, Padma, that he did not apologize to the specific *women* he has named.  And Chuck Todd pointed out this morning that Trump also did not apologize to his own wife, who was pregnant with his youngest child at the time of that conversation.

I hope he stays in the race.  Honestly, anyone the RNC might bring in at this point could bring voters back to the ticket -- Pence, Rubio, Romney, even Cruz.  Romney in particular could pull a lot of votes back.  They would need a squeaky clean candidate.  And it would blow the Clinton commercials out of the water, because they have become basically anti-Trump.  Stay in the race, please. 

Nancy O'Dell (whom I don't know at all, don't watch those shows) comes out looking great in all this.  But what a shock to hear a conversation like this about yourself, out of the blue, 11 years later.  And it sure gives resonance to Trump's statements in the summer that if a woman is harassed, she should find a new job.  Because as everyone noted then, sure, it's *her* problem, not yours. 

6 minutes ago, Padma said:

Happy to see Ari Melber brought on, a lawyer who understands that Trump described sexual assault. It's not just, as these surrogates keep saying, "time to move on".

If Trump thinks Bill Clinton's behavior was so bad 20 years ago (mainly two consensual affairs and a lot of innuendo), I don't see how reminding us about it--and the waste of time caused by impeachment hearings over it--are supposed to make us want a Donald Trump presidency. (And I wish the hosts would stop letting them talk about how Hillary targeted and "abused" Bill's accusers, some of whom were actually shown to be lying. Also, initially, she believed him about Monica. I think Trump forgets that polls showed Hillary was very sympathetic to most people during that time.)

The more they show Trump's -full- "apology", the more I hate it.  He isn't embarrassed or ashamed or contrite or genuinely sorry (notice how he doesn't apologize to the women, or even Billy Bush who was 20 years younger and embarrassed himself trying to kiss up to an unworthy, very powerful, man)

He's not embarrassed. He's defiant and he's angry.  I hope he stays that way.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jjj said:

Since we can talk about CNN on this thread, I'll add this new set of audio recordings between Trump and Howard Stern.  It is very gross, much more so than the clip from Friday night.  But a lot of this was already known; just ignored.  I think that what disturbed me most were not his personal choices or descriptions of intimate activity, but his attitude that he got to "inspect" the Miss Universe contestants backstage and naked while they were dressing -- "because I want to make sure that everything is good".   http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/trump-on-howard-stern/index.html?adkey=bn

Thanks for that link.  How bad  -- how relentlessly bad -- is the news cycle for Trump when this hideous transcript  (him treating his own daughter like meat) is second string material:

Stern: By the way, your daughter--
Trump: She's beautiful.
Stern: Can I say this? A piece of ass-
Trump: Yeah.

Jesus -- that man promotes only two things perfectly -- his demented ambition and rape culture.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

If this is a campaign dump I still believe that enough of this was already out there for any self-respecting journalist to find. And report.

I'm sure corporate overlords have to take some blame but...

My brain is hurting. Again.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

My brain is hurting. Again.

It's better than the alternative, I'm not as terrified as I was.

CNN continues to hammer at tRump.  Blitzer was talking to former congresscritter, now tRump surrogate Kingston and he was incredulous "you do know that more Republicans are backing out every few minutes, right?"

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

I want to watch CNN for a little different perspective--perhaps different guests. But every time I do, there are those horrible surrogate panels again! Why, why, why?  It is the laziest kind of "journalism" imaginable, wasting air time having those people arguing with each other, so predictably, over and over (I wouldn't mind listening to half of them, of course, but they're a package deal!)

When the election is over, I hope CNN and Jeff Zucker get major critical blowback over Lewandowski. That is just such a disgrace when the man is still being paid to shill for Trump (well, has been paid in advance and talks with him all the time about what to say), PLUS being paid by CNN. He's so predictable (and has signed Trump's super-strict NDA that makes him even MORE useless!  "We're hiring a president not a Sunday school teacher" pretty much said it all as far as objectivity and insight goes from him.  I like Brian Selter, but it seems like a perfect topic for Reliable Sources, his own boss's complicity with Trump.

On happier news, you're right, NextIteration. Not so terrified any more! (Although I'll feel better after tomorrow goes smoothly for HRC.  Trump has bounced back from a lot of pretty incredible things. I'm not positive he won't do it again.)

• Love 4

Here's a plausible theory: NBC unloaded the Trump tape to The Washington Post.

Not officially. But I think NBC News execs decided to have one of their underlings provide the tape to The Post's David Fahrenthold.

I've read various accounts from the Washington Post, NY Times and CNN on how the tape was obtained.

NBC execs blame Rosh Hashanah and a lengthy legal review for the delay...but it was odd that it would take a whole week to get this out there.

I think that:

1) NBC was afraid of getting sued by Trump, so they had an anonymous person bring the tape to The Post's attention. This way, NBC was off the hook. (That's why they covered the story on MSNBC with their own version of the story within 7 minutes of The Post posting their article.)

2) NBC was afraid that it would hurt its future coverage of celebrities if the precedent is set of hot mic private conversations recorded amidst celebrity interviews (for Today and Access Hollywood) would become public.

3) NBC didn't want to be the ones to throw Billy Bush under the bus. I read that the version Access Hollywood was going to show tried to downplay Bush's involvement. But that's hard to do. It looked better if somebody else made Bush look bad by showing the full unedited tape.

That's why Fahrenthold -- the Pulitzer-worthy reporter star of this year's election was on MSNBC's Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell on Friday night...NBC News wanted him to get the glory because if NBC News got the glory, it could've opened NBC up to more long-term ramifications.

Also notable: NBC doesn't seem interested in finding the leaker, judging from the above-linked articles.

Anyways, I like Deadspin's theory: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/why-was-nbc-scared-of-the-trump-video-1787590514

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

That really disgusts me. That is the state of US journalism these days? Wusses? 

We're screwed.

I'm not even sure which part disgusts you, but there are new headlines from the Trump tweet account in the past hour about Bill Clinton raping a woman -- retweet from the woman's account.  It's been on CNN.  I just can't watch any more today until the debate. 

I will say that on Meet the Press, Chuck Todd (like other interviewers today) was not letting Giuliani get away with his canned statements about defending Trump and beating up Bill Clinton.  Apparently, Giuliani was the only surrogate from the inner circle willing to go on television today.  Of course he was willing.  I'm just hoping Giuliani is so poisoned by his completely disgusting defense of Trump that no one else will ever rely on him again as an advisor after the election.  So desperate for attention.  ("All men talk that way" -- thank goodness there are men interviewing him who can say, "No, they do not.  I do not.")

ETA:  I let MSNBC keep rolling into MTP Daily (special Sunday edition), and the NY co-chair for Trump just lost his mind (if he had one) on the air.  "Hillary should be in jail."  "The Director of the FBI destroyed evidence."  Chuck, "wait, what??? you are saying the head of the FBI destroyed evidence?"  "YES, YES HE DID."  Chuck they said, okay we are ending this, because you can't just say things like that.  Co-chair:  "THE PRESS IS OUT OF CONTROL"  Chuck, "Yes, we are so out of control that we gave you air time."  Then when the real panel came next, Chuck said they could not find anyone but this person and maybe one other to come on to speak to Trump's side today.  I hate to think what the other one was like, if they chose this co-chair! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

Good lawd, I have to say that I have been thoroughly impressed with Chuck lately.  He definitely has some bullocks and they suit him well.

Frankly, I'm astounded that any of Trump's surrogates would actually agree to be booked on any show before the debate.  But, Ghouliani just cannot help himself.  Does he even hear the shit that comes out of his mouth?  

I loved Joy's show yesterday, where she made it clear that she was not there for that Trump surrogate minister's B.S.  Every time he attempted to be evasive by not answering the questions she asked, she brought it back to him.  So, a poll of 400 Black people from a source which is constantly dismissed is proof that 25% of Black people support Trump.  Loved Joy's "What the fuck kind of shit are you on?" look.  She firmly told him that she is around the Black community all the time and trust, nary a one of them is supporting Trump, much less 25%.  I loved the other minister, and it's gratifying that someone finally spoke up about the differences between the right-wing Evangelicals and the rest.  

Gotta love the fake outrage about Trump's words; it's the actions, you  morons.  Actions that are felonies.  And, talk about shock and outrage.  The real shock and outrage is that this clown got as far as he did.  I'm quite sure that the avalanche of defections have absolutely nothing to do with Trump's poll numbers...[crickets chirping]

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jjj said:

ETA:  I let MSNBC keep rolling into MTP Daily (special Sunday edition), and the NY co-chair for Trump just lost his mind (if he had one) on the air.  "Hillary should be in jail."  "The Director of the FBI destroyed evidence."  Chuck, "wait, what??? you are saying the head of the FBI destroyed evidence?"  "YES, YES HE DID."  Chuck they said, okay we are ending this, because you can't just say things like that.  Co-chair:  "THE PRESS IS OUT OF CONTROL"  Chuck, "Yes, we are so out of control that we gave you air time."  Then when the real panel came next, Chuck said they could not find anyone but this person and maybe one other to come on to speak to Trump's side today.  I hate to think what the other one was like, if they chose this co-chair! 

OMG! That was on during my drive home and Chuck did a great job! That guy was up there with conspiracy theorists. Worse, because he's in a position of power.

I'm not sure myself what part of this mess disgusts me the most but the press are pretty much at the top. I blame them for not doing their jobs and instead becoming cheerleaders for one candidate to the exception of any other news.  Did they think Trump's candidacy was funny? That it was a novelty and would never happen?  They'd get to covering all of that other stuff eventually?

I don't know, but imho they reliquinshed their duties to inform the public in a fair and even manner and bought into an easy story rather than do actual work. There was/is so much out there. Surely some of them listen to Stern! That's a goldmine. Stern did a better job exposing some of Trump's weaknesses than today's media. I've heard him interview Trump. I was appalled years ago.

• Love 6

It is fascinating to hear these fourth-stringers (co-chair of the NY Trump campaign) come on the air; they have little experience in dealing with a savvy interviewer, and appear never to have had their views challenged.  Even more, you can see the echo chamber they are living in.  If they are saying these things on the air, imagine being in a room full of like-minded people!  How much worse they must be when they are piling on amongst themselves! 

I full believe that Trump has little recollection of the famous bus conversation.  But those Howard Stern interviews happened over a long period of time.  Stern has some admirers whom I like (Dave Letterman, for one), but I just think he is gross -- and not for entertainment purposes.  I have never heard his show live -- just the parts that end up in the news. 

• Love 4