Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Blindsided

The Dunphys and Pritchett's are going head-to-head when Luke decides his best chance at getting into college is running for senior class president against Manny.

Loved seeing Martin Short. 

• Love 3

One of the funniest shows ever, with great writing and great characters AND then they added Martin Short.....and I hardly laughed at all. You know it is not a strong episode when Haley has the best lines.

And yet again, after watching, we ask "Why are Mitchell and Cam together". They may be the least compatible couple of TV. Do they even like each other?

By the way, was it just me or were they mumbling a  lot.

The actors (and I use that term loosely) playing Luke and Manny have not developed into good actors, at all.

• Love 4

I actually liked Martin Short's cameo here. Sometimes he can be too hammy for me, but as a "promotions expert" it actually kind of worked. Andy Daly as the principle is good too. I enjoyed his interactions with the reporter.

• Love 3

Never a big fan of martin short, always seems over the top and excessive.  This was not quite as bad, but still didn't love him on here. 

Cam is a selfish, manipulative ass. 

I don't know what to think of Haley's job even after this episode.  Still seems to me like a 20-something pseudojob.  If she do that for one house though, maybe she should team up with Phil's company and help them sell some more quickly.

• Love 6

I was thinking that Cam should have asked Jay if the football player could stay with Jay and Gloria. They have plenty of room and wasn't Manny on the team for a while?  If Cam and Mitch knew Manny was running for president, they could have told Jay and Gloria that it might increase Manny's popularity and so maybe increase his chances of winning. Manny could have been a hero at school for saving the football team. Jay might have said 'no', but it might have been worth trying. 

Eta: Every time I watch an episode now, I find myself thinking, "I can't believe that the first season Cam was my favorite character and I thought Phil was annoying." Now I think the exact opposite.  

Edited by EVS
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, EVS said:

I was thinking that Cam should have asked Jay if the football player could stay with Jay and Gloria. They have plenty of room and wasn't Manny on the team for a while?  If Cam and Mitch knew Manny was running for president, they could have told Jay and Gloria that it might increase Manny's popularity and so maybe increase his chances of winning. Manny could have been a hero at school for saving the football team. Jay might have said 'no', but it might have been worth trying. 

But where would be the comedy in that!!!

It would make a lot more sense since they have a huge house for 3 people and a toddler.  Or whatever Joe is now

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It would make a lot more sense since they have a huge house for 3 people and a toddler.  Or whatever Joe is now

Lol, I was thinking that could have happened shortly before, or even at, the football game. Then we still could have had the scenes with the dog, etc., but then Manny could have gotten the attention instead of Mitchell. Of course, if Manny had won the election, he would have been completely insufferable for the rest of the season. 

I am probably way overthinking the whole thing though. 

Edited by EVS
Because 'of' and 'if' are two different words
18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:
18 hours ago, EVS said:

Didn't Jay have to give up his den to create Joe's bedroom?

And if Mitchell and Cam have a den with a couch, why did Kristen Johnston have to sleep on their expensive new living room white couch in Strangers in the Night?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Didn't Jay have to give up his den to create Joe's bedroom?

And if Mitchell and Cam have a den with a couch, why did Kristen Johnston have to sleep on their expensive new living room white couch in Strangers in the Night?

Because Kristen Johnston was magically drawn to the couch because they had her in Lily's bedroom and she kept going the couch because of reasons. But I agree, where has this Den been?

• Love 1

They did offer her the den couch (and even their bed?), but she wound up on the white couch during the night.  Den has been featured since the beginning IIRC.

So much for that one episode where Manny was popular and Luke wasn't.  

Haley beat Alex to the joke.  Ha!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, indeed said:

They did offer her the den couch (and even their bed?), but she wound up on the white couch during the night.  Den has been featured since the beginning IIRC.

I think you are correct about the den although I can't picture it.  Have we actually seen it?   They are always on the living room couch, even during Lily's party, right?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
19 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think you are correct about the den although I can't picture it.  Have we actually seen it?   They are always on the living room couch. even during Lily's party, right?

No they have had several scenes in it. It's where the watched the wedding video it has a brown(?) couch up against the wall.

I've never found Martin Short funny in anything I've seen him in and this was no exception.

I really wish Claire (and American society in general) would stop shoehorning totally unqualified and unenthusiastic kids into college. It's really not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that. Haley had no business being in college and neither does Luke. They're terrible students, have no aptitude or interest in academia, and what's the point?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, CleoCaesar said:

I really wish Claire (and American society in general) would stop shoehorning totally unqualified and unenthusiastic kids into college. It's really not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that. Haley had no business being in college and neither does Luke. They're terrible students, have no aptitude or interest in academia, and what's the point?

I'm sure that was part of the joke.  Everybody, particularly in neighborhoods like the Dunphy's, thinks their kid will be more successful with a college degree, ready or not. Or able or not.

I find it just as unbelievable that Haley knows so many young people making fortunes in unconventional ways, but that is the stereotype nowadays.

• Love 1

Besides Phil and his murder house, the only other thing that put a smile on my face was the lack of Joe in this episode.  I can't just can't with that kid.

And I wish someone would tell Sofia Vergara to dial it back, maybe even turn the dial to "off".  She's trying waaay too hard and it's painful to watch.  She was funnier when she was more subtle with her comedy...and her boobs.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No they have had several scenes in it. It's where the watched the wedding video it has a brown(?) couch up against the wall.

They watched the wedding video at Jay's house in "The Cold".  They watched the surveillance video in that den that proved Phil bumped into Claire in the grocery store in "When Good Kids Go Bad".  I think the first time we see the den is in "Up All Night" (S1E11) when Cam is caught watching "Scarface" with baby Lily during the sleep training.  Nevertheless, the couch in the den is a loveseat and too short for Kristen Johnston, so it'd be too short for the football player.  Sometimes this show is good at continuity, like last week and Claire's death smile; other times it sucks, like with Cam and dogs.  He was excited about taking in Stella in "Rash Decisions", but was super allergic to them seven months later in "Summer Lovin", and now has other issues with them? 

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with a visceral dislike of Martin Short. When he appears in anything, I any amusement response I might have is immediately soured.

On 10/6/2016 at 2:51 PM, EVS said:

Eta: Every time I watch an episode now, I find myself thinking, "I can't believe that the first season Cam was my favorite character and I thought Phil was annoying." Now I think the exact opposite.  

For along time now, Ive wanted the show to end with Claire and Mitchell hiring one of Gloria's cousins to kill their idiot husbands.  

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:54 AM, Traveller519 said:

Sometimes [Martin Short] can be too hammy for me, but as a "promotions expert" it actually kind of worked.

Hmm.  I came to comment that Hayley has found a way to turn her primary attributes--pretty, popular, superficial--into a paycheck.

I think there's a connection in there somewhere.

On 10/6/2016 at 1:40 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't know what to think of Haley's job even after this episode.  Still seems to me like a 20-something pseudojob. 

On 10/7/2016 at 3:29 PM, mansonlamps said:

I find it just as unbelievable that Haley knows so many young people making fortunes in unconventional ways, but that is the stereotype nowadays.

It's hard for older people like me to wrap my head around but people are making a living, sometimes a good living on the Internet, whether as entertainers (Zach King and Wil Wheaton) or influencers (as Haley is).  Seeing as these people all know each other (the last Amazing Race was Internet Stars and they all knew each other), that bit didn't bother me at all.

• Love 2

Well thank you for correcting me.  I know a ton of young people, but most of them are making money the normal way, but I did give up on The Amazing Race a few years ago. I guess I'm not aware of all these kids making a huge fortune by blogging, playing video games, etc. as Haley asserted.  Followed by the more common, in my world, "her parents are loaded."

• Love 2

I am sure there are some people that make a living on the internet that way

My guess is though very every one making a good living this way, there are 5 others not making anything or barely making anything.

I compare it to back in the 90s it was all about "day trading."  Everyone knew someone who was at home on their computer "day trading" and not working.  The number actually making money this way I am guessing was rather low. 

• Love 2

If Haley could find the right niche-- something interesting and timely, especially to younger people she could make good money.  My friend's son decided to start a youtube job where he does simple but funny things, takes challenges like eat hot peppers, etc and last yr he had a small following (maybe 20,000)  This year he just hit 1 MILLION 5 HUNDRED THOUSAND + followers and now has ads on his site paying him a lot of money.  He rents a townhouse now and films from his bedroom, easy.  I think because he has a funny personality that word spread and the simplest thing he thinks up to do makes people tune in to watch.  So Haley could do it.  She's 'different' enough for sure.