Type keyword(s) to search

Aftermath - General Discussion

KDeFlane
  • Start Topic

from IMDB:

In the face of natural disasters, supernatural creatures, and a horrifying plague, the Copeland Family fights to survive the end of the world.

my family spud thought the episode title was the license plate of the RV.  (I did not even try to confirm or refute this.) I believe it refers to the Bible verse in Revelations, chapter 6, verses 7-8:

When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!”

I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

from TVGuide.com:

The Copelands continue to search for their daughter while facing catastrophic solar flares, demons and beasts that they had thought were mythological, but now discover are terrifyingly real.

I think the first sign of the Apocalypse was the loss of the Oxford comma.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, KDeFlane said:

my family spud thought the episode title was the license plate of the RV.  (I did not even try to confirm or refute this.) I believe it refers to the Bible verse in Revelations, chapter 6, verses 7-8:

It was also the license plate of the Subaru that the missing kid was driving as reported by the local sheriff -- the hatchback of the same Subaru that fell in the Copeland yard (complete with license plate attached) for no apparent reason.

• Love 1

thanks, I wish I had noticed that. I tried to rewatch but my OnDemand player is annoying.

I think the only thing that made the Dad say, "What the hell?" was seeing a grown man in a pink dress with a machine gun.  I guess his college references didn't prepare him for that.

I also tried to listen to the radio news reports in the background. I think I heard, "A sturgeon ate two children..."

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, KDeFlane said:

I also tried to listen to the radio news reports in the background. I think I heard, "A sturgeon ate two children..."

It did!

And yet the family is still basically unconcernedly ambling around until one of the children is physically yanked into the sky. And even then, they show only a middling level of concern, or even a basic understanding that the world has changed.

Has Anne Heche genuinely forgotten how to act?

I'm not going out on much of a limb here to say that this will be an early cancellation in the U.S., if not Canada. User reviews on IMDB are at at 5.1, which is about as low as it gets over there.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, KDeFlane said:

You heard right -- "A sturgeon consumed two children in the <unintelligble> river"

There was also talk of a tsunami watch from New Jersey to Virginia.

they brought in the stupid aunt, the skin walkers and flying dragons, or whatever they are, I think I'm done now. 

I know! The aunt was really bad. I have no idea what her role in this is supposed to be. There's already the paranoid son and the missing daughter. At least when I saw the dragon, I briefly felt something besides confusion.

• Love 1

I haven't watched it yet but I'll get to it soon. I look forward to the over-acting in the fundamentalist religion arc.  As painful as it might get, I want to stick it out.  With any luck, it will strive for Sharknado quality by the end.

• Love 1

Wait a minute, how did the Copeland RV get turned around from that lineup and headed out of town so quickly while Brianna was still trapped under the bus (hey, at least no body through her under the bus).  Plus, as far as they know their daughter was just incinerated by a meteor impact -- but somehow they just know she is alive and they will hookup somehow.  How exactly ? Secret magic twin powers ?

Those sad little fire pots scattered around the bus were just that -- sad. 

So they are driving down the road with their convoy -- and spot a guy chasing a woman through a field, screech to halt, chase after the guy and shoot him in the dead (and watch the demon leave). Did they even bother to give the woman they saved a lift ?  Nope, because the skinwalker apparently killed her before they killed him.

Who knew Anne Heche could fly ?  Because she flew through the air with the greatest of ease when hit by that skinwalker.

Wait a minute -- a meteor just impacted Yakima, there is a violent plague loose, demons are possessing people, earthquakes, tsunamis, sturgeons eating childres -- and yet the lawyer has a court date to get to ?  Seriously, WTF ?

Brianna is a little overzealous calling out the lawyer for not telling her they were almost out of gas.  What a beyotch !
And then the lawyer offs herself because her boyfriend is dead.  Even though she knows that the car only has 2 miles of gas left, Brianna freaks out when the car won't start.  What an idiot ! Why didn't she take dead guy's car ?  Did she even check to see if there was gas in the tank ?

Really ?  The show is going with solar flare/CME as the cause of everything.  To the point that they show an actual solar flare erupting from the sun.

Brianna finds a friend while taking a nap -- Tatianna is seriously strong to tip over that shelter.

Aunt Sally is beyond stupid -- agitates the neighbors by "freeing their chickens" during the end of the world and then wants to go shopping, like everything is fine. And in the middle of the apocalypse Sally wants to reconnect with the father that she and her sister haven't spoken to --- in 35 years. 

Girl fight over a cell phone.  That blast of static electricity was rather conveniently timed.  And Brianna gets her ass handed to her by Tatiana.

Donny Chang possessed ..... or got the plague ... or who knows what at this point ?  And the survey says -- schizophrenia.

Aunt Sally is just an asshole -- but on the plus sign, Anne Heche has developed a bloodlust for murdering people.

Seriously, how the hell are cell phones still working after the flare took down the world-wide power grid ?  How ?
Residual static electricity just juiced everyone's smartphones -- and only the smartphones.  Man, that is just fucking stupid.

Was Tatianna walking in circles ?  Otherwise, how was Brianna able to ambush her ?

It's amazing how the Copeland family has taken the opportunity to go on a murder spree.

I have never laughed so hard when that dragon took the horse.  What was the dragon waiting for since the horse was tied to the fence right up until Brianna freed him ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

I thought it was strangely optimistic that Dave thought this might be good. Having watched the first ep, I think the good ship SS Possible Goodness has sailed and sunk after being torpedoed by a flying demon.

Hey, people, it's the end of the world.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

It's a kitchen sink apocalypse. I'm getting a bit burnt out on the apocalypse, periapocalypse, postapocalyspe genre so I think I'll bail on Van Helsing and give this one another episode or two while I continue to trudge through The Strain (I've already bailed on TWD after the first season).

• Love 2

i finally watched the 2nd ep and was not disappointed.

Aunt Sally comes across as a sarcastic free spirit to me, not actually planning on going shopping for reals. Very convenient that she's a trained nurse.  I don't think the acting is all that bad for what the actors have been given to portray, except maybe for Dan the football son. Matt was so convinced it was a demon that I knew it would not be, but I was waiting for the reveal to be the "feverhead" virus. The actual twist was pretty good and sad.  Mom, however, is rather quick to tell Matt to just move on.

Is there any existing traditional list of endtimes phenomena which includes dragons?  If the writers can just make up their own disasters, this is gonna be a wild ride!

The family just seems so blase about the crazy events surrounding them. My favorite character was the lawyer. "I'm just trying to keep my shit together even as I realize I am slowly failing."

• Love 1

Well, still in after three episodes ! 

Quite a tense episode, and even though the small-mind-closed-community characters were a bit cliché - but after all, never been to North-America, so dont know maybe it wasnt that far-fetched and it's likely a lot of people would deadly-turn to religion in days such as this - but I really liked it.

Looking forward to see that continue ! 

I can't get over how obnoxious their missing daughter is.  Telling the Amish kid "can you just get me some food, can you handle that?" after calling him weird?  Rude!  These people just helped you.  I hope they don't continue with the character acting this way.  Between her and the annoying stupid aunt, I may have to stop watching.

• Love 1

So, when every single person in Seattle disappeared, did they all take their time to put their cars in park ?  And their disappearance couldn't have happened that long ago since the cars were still running (at least that Lincoln was).

Shouldn't they be siphoning gas from all those cars ?  Cars that were still running so they must have had gas.

Do the Amish drive golf carts ? And also conveniently yet silently show up when people are in trouble ?  Are they superheroes ?  Incredibly judgey superheroes.

Brianna really doesn't read the room when she walks up and asks for food from those guys at the side of the road.  Really ?  She didn't think they appeared just a little bit rapey ?

Dana basically confirms the magic twin powers when they are talking about whether Brianna is alright and says "She's ok Mom. If she wasn't I would know".  So did these magical twin powers manifest BEFORE the apocalypse ?

And where did the dragon from last episode go ?  Shouldn't it be stalking Brianna -- or was the horse plenty for dinner ?

Wow -- it was so obvious that the stunt woman playing Dana had a protective cover on her arm when she was attacked by that dog.  I like how that during the middle of the dog attack the dog paused from biting Dana to howl at the sky and Dana just sat there and didn't try to escape and basically waited for the dog to start biting her again.  FFS !

Whacky Aunt automatically determines that the dog was rabid and Dana needs a rabies shot -- ummm, no, how about the dog is possessed by demons (making it a demon dog), or it's the dog version of the feverheads.  But, nope, the Aunt goes straight to rabies.  And no, the dog was not foaming at the mouth -- what dog was the Aunt looking at ? And despite the fact that all the people in Seattle have up and disappeared like a fart in the wind, they are just going to take Dana to the doctor like it was a regular day.  Shouldn't they at least be looking for a tetanus shot ?

They just happen to run into the same doctor who was serving up tetracyclin under a bridge from last episode -- how did he beat them to Seattle ?

Matt just happens to find a potential love interest hiding in Grandpa's basement. Her name is Alla, I think.

The Copelands find a news truck with a camera lying nearby that just happens to have footage from one everyone disappeared, with a reporter yelling that "those can't be people", but we never see what 'those' are.  That's right showwriters, keep everything as vague as humanly possible.

How can cell phone services still working ?  How ?

When exactly did Papa Copeland fire up the news truck to watch the newsfeeds when Karen wasn't there to see.  Because that was conveniently NOT shown.

How come the dragon hasn't eaten all the cows on this Amish farm before now ?  Was it waiting for Brianna to show up ?

Who turned on all the conveniently placed portable lighting stands -- AND -- fired up generators in the that store ?  Gunfight in aisle 5.  We're taking all of the tetracyclin, bitch.  Karen knocks out one of the armed intruders yet somehow doesn't take his gun. And even though she has a gun, Dana goes and gets herself captured and it turns into a hostage situation.

Echoing Matt "What the hell was that ?"  Matt shoots Alla's husband 3 times and he falls and turns completely into water. So we have water demons now ?  And then Alla kisses Matt, grabs a necklace belonging to Grandpa, starts acting all weird (and claiming she's from New Zealand) and disappears after Matt obeys her and turns his back on a complete stranger and closes his eyes.  Matt deserved to get stabbed just for being that stupid.

What the hell was with Papa Copeland and the scotch ?  In the actual scene, he tipped the glass back, but in the flashback it didn't even touch his lips. Calling bullshit.

Good to see that the Copelands continue on their murderous path through the Apocalypse, shooting and/or killing most people they encounter.  Why didn't they take the intruder's guns ? WTF ? They were heavily armed, like take down a dragon heavily armed.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't catch any name for the religious compound, but they aren't Amish or Mennonite. Maybe next week the creepo Reverend will explain their cult bylaws to Bree.

I am curious what the news reporter was seeing when she said, "Are those people? Those are people!" as she was looking up at the sky.  A tornado of bodies, perhaps? A swarm of demon-possessed flyers?

Are all of the family trained in the use of firearms? It's not an unreasonble thing to be educated in the operation of weapons that one might pick up during unusual circumstances.  I never want to be one of those TV trope hostages in a bank hold-up that grabs the robber's gun and then doesn't know how to use the thing.

Matt is putting bullets into a revolver, hears a noise, slams down the handgun and picks up the shotgun. Now I'm no expert, but isn't a long-barrel gun more difficult to maneuver inside the narrow doorways and halls of a house? Granted, a shotgun requires less precision to cause damage than a handgun that shoots only a single bullet at a time.  The mom did the same thing, walking outside the RV with a handgun poised for action, where long-range accuracy is questionable, but goes into the store with a shotgun. (OK, i guess a shotgun doesn't have enough power to hit anything at a distance.)

I had to laugh when the parents first found that bottle of scotch, the way the actor zooms the thing up to his mouth and back down too quickly to take an honest swig of liquid. I'd have either broken a tooth or splashed booze all over myself, or both.

And once again we get a new supernatural entity which has nothing to do with endtimes prophecy. Where are the Winchester brothers when we need them (and their research)?

I hope our characters meet more normal people in the travels to see how others are coping with their new reality.  I watch the show to imagine how I might react in their bizarre situation, but it seems like the *entire* world has gone nuts and they are the only untouched bubble floating in a sea of crazy.

Edited by KDeFlane
spelling

After watching the 4th episode, I don't understand why this family seems so careless.  They should be more careful when encountering other people or walking up to a bunch of people lying on the road.  Also, if someone was locked behind a fence, I wouldn't get too close like Matt did and get grabbed.  It's like these people, except for the mom, isn't accepting that the world is changing.  I was also confused with Dana refusing to hold or use a gun when she did it in the store when she ran off to supposedly help her mom when they were getting shot at.  Thus, her whole bratty attitude about learning to shoot doesn't make sense...were the episodes written by the same writers?

• Love 4
On 10/14/2016 at 8:14 PM, halkatla said:

But it´s still watchable, I mean stuff happens, and stuff!

I know right?  It's so weird.  Demons and dragons and zombies and flying people and everyone's all "whatever".  I have no idea what the F is happening...what's next?  Dogs and cats living together?? (Oops, Terrafamilia beat me to it!)

What's up with the mirrored sunglasses??  Why doesn't Ann Heche take them off in the daytime? 

This is the weirdest show..and I watch Zoo!

Edited by raven
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, FlipORican said:

After watching the 4th episode, I don't understand why this family seems so careless.  They should be more careful when encountering other people or walking up to a bunch of people lying on the road.  Also, if someone was locked behind a fence, I wouldn't get too close like Matt did and get grabbed.  It's like these people, except for the mom, isn't accepting that the world is changing.  I was also confused with Dana refusing to hold or use a gun when she did it in the store when she ran off to supposedly help her mom when they were getting shot at.  Thus, her whole bratty attitude about learning to shoot doesn't make sense...were the episodes written by the same writers?

Even the mom caught the stupid this week.  Who rams there way into a fenced-off quarantine area, breaking your vehicle in the process?  So much dumb, it hurts!!

• Love 1

Now they are finding bodies with their eyes scorched out (like that happens every day), but that have also been infested by giant leeches that the aunt is completely oblivious to.  Wow, that's stupid.

Meanwhile, Brianna who has probably never given herself a spongebath ever before does it in the sexiest way possible as Devon does his best impression of a peeping Tom.

Really, these clowns in the RV never picked up a pair of bolt cutters at that department store -- so Karen decides all by herself to plow through that locked gate.  Quick question, why was the warning about plague on the inside of the gate.  And then Karen decides to gun down the airport feverhead in close proximity to the aunt and her son.  WTF ?  Turns out that Karen broke the RV, and they had to push it into an airport hangar.

So is demonic possession a convenience -- because the Reverend Father Brother seems to be able to control when the demon comes out when he attacks Brianna.

Meanwhile the aunt starts coughing and appears sick -- I think she's got bugs/leeches -- as they close the hangar door.  Umm, how does this place still have power ? The aunt blames her rash on the fact that she is used to organic food.  Who writes this crap ?

Blah, blah, blah, Dana won't fire a gun let alone kill someone with a gun because all life is precious. If she's anything like her mother, she will quickly acquire her murderous ways.  Matt and Dana come across a pen on the airport filled with people dancing to club music.  Why exactly is there music playing ?

As Matt stupidly gets caught by the dancing feverheads, Dana refuses to shoot them to free Matt -- until the feverheads holding Matt are gunned down by none other than Telemachus Rhade from 'Andromeda' (played by Steve Bacic), only in this show his name is Jeff.

Where did the Amish/Mennonites get zipties from ?  Because they ziptied Briana and tossed her in the barn -- unsupervised, of course, so she could easily escape.

Somehow plowing through the airport fence "de-coupled" the drive shaft -- do the writers of this show know how automobiles work ?  Because that is just some bullshit.

Devon confesses that he checked out Brianna bathing and now he "feels funny".

Karen just happens to know the former commanding officer of Jeff, so now they are all buddy buddy.  What are the odds ?

Brianna is on schedule for a demon possession trial on the morrow.  FFS !

Dr. Rollins confirms that the aunt is infected with leeches -- Yes !!!!!!!  And when Dr. Rollins pulls it out it turns into dozens of leeches various sizes -- how exactly ?  I find it hard to believe that was the only parasite in the whacky aunt.

The feverheads somehow stopped dancing for 5 minutes and escaped their pen and made their way to the hangar, and somehow managed to open the door and accosted Dr. Rollins -- who tries to get the feverheads to go into the trailer chock full of leeches.  And the group of feverheads do exactly that and are attacked by the leeches/bugs.  And as Dr. Rollins stands and looks in awe as the leeches attack, one of the guards comes in and guns him down.

Meanwhile, Devon give Brianna her gun back and Devon seems to think that means they are dating now.  Demon Father Brother goes into the barn to find Brianna and spots the knife she used to free herself -- and somehow that knife glows greenish yellow (at least to his perspective) and off he goes in hot pursuit.

Whacky aunt Sally decides to remain at the airport, and as they are saying their goodbyes the soldier that killed Dr. Rollins shows up in an armored car firing at them -- so who was driving the armored car if the guard was in the turret ?

Devon is a little too obsessed with Brianna, and his line is that if he doesn't kiss her he might die.  Please.

Just as the Copeland RV is pulling up to reunite with Brianna on the road, demon Father Brother shows up and attacks.  Since these demons are so stupid, demon Father Brother stands back from Brianna for just a moment and Brianna shoots him dead, and the demon escapes his body in front of Devon.

All of a sudden, the armored car from the airport shows up with a crew full of guys shooting at the Copeland RV -- how did these feverheads overcome Jeff and the guards, and Aunt Sally, and how did they know where the Copeland RV was going to catch up ?  Wow, this show is stupid.  The writers should be embarrassed for tossing all these plot elements into a blender and getting this as the output.

• Love 3

I've sat through all four episodes of this show and I cannot explain why. This is one of the worse shows I've seen in a while. I guess I'm curious to see where it all goes. I'm happy the aunt is gone for now because she's supposed to be a nurse, and I don't know any nurses who'd approach a sick or dead body during an epidemic and just start poking around with their bare hands. The last thing this buffet table of an apocalypse needs is a teenage girl version of The Walking Dead's Dale. All life is not precious when it's hosting demons and/or trying to kill you or your brother who was paranoid enough to shoot a kid who was off his meds but now gets close enough to a fence of presumed feverheads  to be caught. And I'm really hoping that cult kid has a brief arc because he is seriously annoying. Brianna showed some pragmatic ruthlessness on the road so I don't see why she felt she had to stay in the compound and take crap from Devin's mother. Yes it was safer in theory but it should have taken her at most an hour to realize she'd be better off on her own.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

I've sat through all four episodes of this show and I cannot explain why.

Oh good! I'm not alone. It feels like it was supposed to be more campy. But they took out all of the camp except for the premise of all of the bad parts of all religions happening at the same time.

Anne Heche is sooo miscast as a retired military badass. And was she suffering from real life hangover issues? Because that's the only reason I can think of to explain her wearing sunglasses all the freakin' time!

Anyone here remember the movie Damnation Alley? I want our family to start traveling in one of these. . . 

Landmaster-old.jpeg

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

Since I've already admitted to watching the show I might as well compound it by admitting I'm enjoying the hell out of Anne Heche's performance. She is gorging on the cheese here. Didn't she even have the sunglasses on in the dark warehouse? I'm not buying her as ex military, even with the aviator shades. The writers should have made her a doomsday prepper or something. That I'd buy. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Devon is a little too obsessed with Brianna, and his line is that if he doesn't kiss her he might die.  Please.

I think he's some sort of demon.  I'm hoping anyway. 

Not sure why I'm watching this show.  It's not very good and it's not Z Nation funny and yet ... 

• Love 1

I love this show!! It's all my favorite things all rolled into one! Cheesy apocalypse porn! Deadly infections that turn people crazy! Murderous heroes! Bad guys that are secretly demons! Myths come to life! Road trip!  This is awesome. I will enjoy the hell out of this for as long as they let me. 

• Love 4

I am hoping they revisit the grandfather angle.  Like maybe he was exploring and took a lot of artifacts he shouldn't have and he started it all and maybe that's why the family hasn't been touched yet...Was really hoping that was the end of the aunt.  She was annoying from the first scene.

• Love 3

Well, I really liked that latest episode and truly enjoy the show.

There were some nice lines of dialogue : "We grow fast.", the dialogue at the table between the siblings, and some other interesting character development.

Yeah, I'm really starting to get invested in the characters, so looking forward to next week ! 

• Love 1

Japanese carnivorous plant? I was rooting for you (yeah, I know, cheap pun!) and you let me down. Now that she's willing to use a weapon, that kid and her brother are the only characters I like so, aside from them, you could have had your pick of human snacks and you went away empty. Devin was right there and you couldn't help a girl out by finishing him off before the road salt arrived? Or the Dad, who annoys me more every week? 

I do appreciate the show killing off the aunt because she finally got on my last nerve. She nags the guy into taking her to the compound and when things get difficult she tells him he has to save them? The man is dying on his feet and she can't come up with a better plan that You Fix This. She annoyed me from beginning to end.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this episode. I think it is much better when the family interacts with other people. Boone is an interesting character and Wayne Brady is having a ton of fun with him. "They thought I was crazy burying cans of beans!" I hope he gets to stick around for a while before he inevitably gets possessed or takes a turn towards evil. (He and Ann have 100 times more chemistry than she has with her husband.)

On 10/22/2016 at 7:52 PM, Forcereals said:

I am hoping they revisit the grandfather angle.  Like maybe he was exploring and took a lot of artifacts he shouldn't have and he started it all and maybe that's why the family hasn't been touched yet...

I'd be on board with that, especially if it meant the water demon returned to the show. She was hot. . at least when she wasn't a demon.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

And ....  we get a big dose of stupid right out of the gate -- how did that RV outrun an armored car that was peppering them with bullets ?
Then the road suddenly ends near a lake/ocean -- where there was no lake/ocean on the map -- and a heavily-armed guy in a skull mask on horseback conveniently appears and takes down all of the guys from the armored car.  How ?  Where to begin ?

It's this guy Booner that was the common element with Jeff and Karen.  Maybe he can explain where he came from and where all the water came from ?  Apparently an earthquake did it.  You would think that an earthquake that strong would have been felt by the Copelands at some point.

Booner is a bit out there, has a hard-on for Karen, and occasionally hangs people that take the law into their own hands (though we didn't actually see any of these GRs hanging from the fences).  

Out of no where, only Karen hears a what sounds like Banshee's scream.  But only Karen.

Jeff and whacky Aunt Sally are on the run through the woods, having barely escaped with their lives from the feverheads -- but they are on their way to Booner's compound via Jeff's cabin in the woods.

Meanwhile, the RV encounters a crater in the road to Booner's and they have to find a way around.  Wouldn't Booner have known about this hole in the road ?  Seriously, how do they plan to find an alternate route through the woods ?  That RV would get stuck in no time.

Jeff ditches wacky Aunt Sally in the woods and makes it to his cabin first -- which is kind of a shitty thing to do in the apocalypse.  But the plague is re-asserting itself since he doesn't have his meds, so he gives his gun to Aunt Sally to take him out if he turns into a feverhead.

Oh come on -- now there are prehensile vines grabbing people.  FFS !  Apparently Pa Copeland recognizes it -- it's a mythical Japanese plant.  Of course it is.

This just gets even stupider -- now the RV battery is 'suddenly' dead.

And Jeff 'suddenly' remembers he has a car at his cabin as he starts to feel a little better.  Why didn't they drive to Booner's in the first place when they got to the cabin ?

And the Japanese vines followed them back to the RV, and is now climbing into the waste water tank and up the plumbing, and in through the roof ventilator.    But Booner's people show up with bags of salt to drive away the vines and the RV miraculously starts again.  Hopefully they don't plan on using the kitchen sink anymore, I'm just surprised a vine didn't come out of the toilet.

So Booner and his people knew about the crazy vines -- and didn't inform the Copelands.  Thanks Booner.

Jeff and wacky Aunt Sally ALSO encounter the big hole in the road where the RV was attacked.  And now the car won't start.  I'm starting to think the big hole in the road is a footprint -- which might explain the red fluid in the bottom of the hole.  Bring on Godzilla !!!

I laughed when Karen hears the banshee scream again, goes to leave the dining hall and opens the door to discover a floating ethereal woman screaming. Wow that is stupid.  And that just gets dropped for the rest of the episode.

Aunt Sally and Jeff encounter a feverhead who attacks them, and is also inhabited by a demon, but Sally can't shoot other people so she leaves Jeff in the woods and hightails it to the Alamo.  Jeff eventually shows up and Sally vouches for his infected ass, but not before Karen threatens to kill one of Booner's men for aiming at Jeff -- Jeff that they basically just met.

After converting from feverhead Jeff into Demon Jeff, Jeff snaps whacky Aunt Sally's neck and gets killed by Karen, and yet Karen checks Aunt Sally for a pulse.  Really Karen ? You heard her neck snap.   Yay !! Aunt Sally is gone.

Thank goodness for Booner and his anti-personnel mines -- do all feverheads have demons in them now ?  Do humans have to die to be infested by a demon ?  Because the demon seemed to take over Jeff when he was close to death.  There seem to be an awful lot of demons.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Several times during this episode, I shouted at my TV, "Oh, come on now!" like, really show? And yet, I continue to watch with the convction that it will not be renewed and we can just ride out this storm.

Most of the stupid is entertaining.  My biggest complaint this week is that the mythology professor didn't know how to pronounce 'Quetzalcoatl'. (Hint: it's not "qwetzyqwattle".)

• Love 3

Ok, this has become my show to hate-watch.  Its so campy that I can't stop watching it, but I hate myself because its so stupid.

I'm glad the sister/aunt/nurse is dead because she was a moron.  Always putting herself in danger, and causing others to get into danger too.  Why on earth stay at a place that's completely overrun with feverheads when there's no doctor anymore or medicine?  She and the few soldiers should have left immediately with the family for Booners.

And the brown-haired 'twin' is, unfortunately, taking her place.  To quote the brother "you'd better rough up", coz its a whole new world out there now.  And agree that it was completely contradictory that one episode she grabs a gun to .. what... shoot the store looters? but of course gets caught, and a day or so later, she can't pick up a gun to save her brother by shooting fever heads?

The way the fever heads seem to be all over the place, but conveniently none have come across the religious compound?  

Did Booner say an earthquake made the ocean move inward?  That had to have been a pretty big earthquake.  I don't recall the family experienceing that, and they should have at least felt something.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Ok, this has become my show to hate-watch.  Its so campy that I can't stop watching it, but I hate myself because its so stupid.

I'm glad the sister/aunt/nurse is dead because she was a moron.  Always putting herself in danger, and causing others to get into danger too.  Why on earth stay at a place that's completely overrun with feverheads when there's no doctor anymore or medicine?  She and the few soldiers should have left immediately with the family for Booners.

And the brown-haired 'twin' is, unfortunately, taking her place.  To quote the brother "you'd better rough up", coz its a whole new world out there now.  And agree that it was completely contradictory that one episode she grabs a gun to .. what... shoot the store looters? but of course gets caught, and a day or so later, she can't pick up a gun to save her brother by shooting fever heads?

The way the fever heads seem to be all over the place, but conveniently none have come across the religious compound?  

Did Booner say an earthquake made the ocean move inward?  That had to have been a pretty big earthquake.  I don't recall the family experienceing that, and they should have at least felt something.

Or how about the fact that it's basically the end of the world, and both Copeland daughters are trying to hook up with guys they just met ?  Completely oblivious to the fact that skinwalkers could be inhabiting them.

I am kind of enjoying this in the way you enjoy bad Syfy movies - you accept it's completely implausible and watch for the C-Movie camp factor. I LOVE Wayne Brady's character, and wish the entire show was about him. Just 42 minutes every week of Boomer being Boomer and fighting apocalyptic monsters.

• Love 3

Worst eulogy ever for poor dead wacky Aunt Sally -- she shopped at the Co-op, she made her own ice cream -- and she gave her life for us.  Ummm, no, she didn't.  She was just randomly killed by a possessed feverhead -- it could have been anyone really. Sally didn't actual do anything significant -- except stupidly put her own life in jeopardy.

Wacky Aunt Sally gets the funeral pyre treatment -- in slo-mo, for some reason -- as earthquakes rumble, that sound more and more like impact tremors.  I still thing there is a Godzilla-sized monster somewhere.

Pa Copeland needs to go to a university -- how many universities are in this area -- where some wacky professor predicted everything that has come true so far ?  Really ?  Including the banshees and water demons and demonic possessions and leeches and earthquakes and asteroids and solar flares and diseases and skinwalkers and mythcial plants coming to life.  Really, she predicted all that ?  

And for some reason, after finally getting the Copeland clan back together they are going to split up.  FFS !  These people are so stupid.  And for some reason they are going to meet up at some summer camp for supplies.  Because nothing has ever gone wrong at an abandoned summer camp before (heck, even Matt mentions that fact).

And they just happen to take Dana's love interest with them -- in order to return the pickup truck (sure, whatever) -- and while scrounging for supplies they are heard by the heavily-armed remnants of the cast of Orange is the New Black who just happen to be wandering nearby.

Pa Copeland ventures into the university building by himself -- have these people learned nothing, it's the frakking apocalypse -- and discovers aforementioned crazy professor sitting by herself listening to Spanish language educational audio tapes.  No, that's not suspicious at all. Uh, how did she survive all this time by herself ? That should be the first clue that something is not right with her.

Dana can't control herself and needs to bang her new love interest -- and soon.  But the Japanese mythical plant is back to mess with her sexy time.

Devon is acting weird.  Well, weirder than normal.

And crazy professor tries to kill Pa Copeland with an axe -- since she's possessed by a demon (of course she is).  And she gets gunned down, and turns out to be a shapeshifter -- that's new, did the actual crazy professor predict that too ?  Pa Copeland acts like he sees these things everyday and shrugs off the existence of shapeshifters.

Dana gets dragged away by the Japanese vine ..... again.  How many times is that going to happen ?  Yet they escape .... again ... only to be confronted by Orange is the New Black one of whom gets taken by the vine and for some reason yells 'kill me' to her compatriot who does just that.  Way to not even try to free yourself.

Pa Copeland determine that the really crazy professor Douglas needs to be nearby for the shapeshifter to replicate her -- how he knows this is baffling -- but he somehow manages to find her.  How does he not know that his woman is also a shapeshifter ?  But she confirms it really is her, and she really is crazy.  And the shapeshifter is also known as a fetch and by it's Filipino term 'aswang'.   I'm beginning to think that Professor Dougles just likes saying 'aswang'.

And the lone radio station still transmitting (transmissions that appear to be coming from the 50s) and seems to imply that Mr. Rainier is going to erupt, so add volcanism to the list of calamities. Because why not.

And somehow Professor Douglas managed to train her 'aswang' to protect her.  Whatever.  And Prof. Douglas has a bit of a chip on her shoulder since Pa Copeland apparently blackballed her with her own work.  But then proceeds to explain about how some sort of wave is responsible for everything.  And then crazy professor pulls the old "I've wired the whole building with explosives and it's going to blow in 60 seconds because I want to die here" scam on Pa Copeland.  And of course he buys it, and it turns out to be false.

Devon rabbits from the RV -- apparently he has to get away from Brianna to "do it" -- and by "do it" he means kill himself with a pistol.  So, what happened to all the Amish horniness he was experiencing ?  Why does he need to kill himself ?  Brianna talks Devon into surrendering the gun after telling him that if he loves her he would give her the gun, then she slaps him, and hugs him and cries on his shoulder.  Was it all an act just to get laid ?

Karen and Matt get easily held up by Orange is the New Black, and Karen tries to bluff her way into getting them to surrender by offering to split the food they have.  How come OITNB never discovered all this food on their own if it's "their camp".  Of course, Karen's bluff doesn't work and OITNB don't believe that Army Rangers are coming to save them.  It's all moot because Karen and Matt easily overcome the 3 heavily armed OITNB.  And Karen continues on her murderous path by gunning down all 3 OITNB after one of them claims that they "offed that tasty little slice and her boyfriend".  In fact Karen empties a clip into one of them.

Right before Dana shows up safe and sound with the new love interest -- and is shocked that her mother murdered 3 people based on no evidence what so ever.

And something that looks like Pa Copleand shows up in the RV .... with an axe ... and tries to kill Brianna but the now demon possessed Devon intervenes.  It's shapeshifter vs. demon -- and demon breaks the shapeshifter's neck (how exactly ?).  I hope that shapeshifter doesn't leave a stain on the carpet.  Is Brianna going to gloss over the whole Devon is possessed by a demon thing ?

All of crazy Prof. Douglas' work is on computer cards from the 70s apparently.  Really ? She's barely in her 40s, why would her work be stored on computer technology from 5o years ago ?    As she screams for someone to kill her, someone does.

Brianna seems to think that love will conquer demonic possession -- because why not -- boy is she wrong, the demon manifests itself but Devon manages to grab the gun and kills himself.  Who is Brianna going to bang now, because they are running out of eligible love interests ?

And, oh yeah, Mt. Rainier erupts.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

That was a spectacularly bad episode. And my bar is low here. I almost turned off the show a couple of times but stuck with it. I love Anne Heche in all her batshit, badass glory and the son hasn't annoyed me since his water demon episode but I can't stand the rest of the family anymore. I'll give the show credit for killing off Devin but I'm not convinced I'll be back next week. Space channel was wily putting this after the final season of Falling Skies. I'll assume I'm not the only Canadian viewer too lazy to change the channel at 10pm.

Lesley Hope, what were you doing in this crapfest? I was embarrassed for you.

3 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

Not only was the material she was given bad, her acting was terrible -- both as a shapeshifter and as the real Prof. Douglas.
Did she owe somebody money -- and had to do this one-off episode to cancel off the debt ?

I kind of sympathized with the professor because that's probably  how I would be during the apocalypse. Drinking heavily, too chickenshit to commit suicide and pissed because no one is alive to see that I WAS RIGHT.

The punch card scene made me laugh so hard. As a kid, I first learned about programming on old IBM mainframes and making sure you did not drop your box of cards (which have to be in the right order) was a very real thing. 

On 10/30/2016 at 1:32 PM, AdorkableWitch said:

I am kind of enjoying this in the way you enjoy bad Syfy movies - you accept it's completely implausible and watch for the C-Movie camp factor. I LOVE Wayne Brady's character, and wish the entire show was about him. Just 42 minutes every week of Boomer being Boomer and fighting apocalyptic monsters.

His character showed up just in time to keep me from dropping this show. He's great.

13 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Not only was the material she was given bad, her acting was terrible -- both as a shapeshifter and as the real Prof. Douglas.
Did she owe somebody money -- and had to do this one-off episode to cancel off the debt ?

Yes, this a crapfest, but I did not think her acting was horrible.  My reaction was wow!  She really is a good actress compared to the others; they were lucky to get her.  

Edited by sisterspoon