Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: George! George Glass!

• Start Topic

They are usually SO good with the iconic 80s stuff, but Live Aid was a real miss.  It was on a Saturday (not a school day) and it was an ALL DAY, HUGE event.  I remember this since my dad could have gotten tickets but didn't think I'd want to go.  I remember listening to it on my knock-off Sony walkman and sulking in the backseat of our station wagon as we drove to the Jersey Shore (along with the rest of the Philadelphians who didn't get to go either).

They really could have done something with that event too.

• Love 6

I am surprised Geoff doesn't notice how rude and mean his girlfriend is.  He seems like a nice guy, and I have a hard time believing that he would be mean spirited towards Erica, and in fact I am sure he isn't over his feelings for her.  

• Love 6

The show always plays fast and loose with the history of the 80s. 

I don't really care about Geoff and Erica either. 

2 minutes ago, alexa said:

I am surprised Geoff doesn't notice how rude and mean his girlfriend is.  He seems like a nice guy, and I have a hard time believing that he would be mean spirited towards Erica, and in fact I am sure he isn't over his feelings for her.  

He is a teenager with likely his first real girlfriend and she is attractive......a girl can get away with a lot in that situation with the guy ignoring or justifying it. 

• Love 2

Was the guy playing Jordan Wahlberg the eldest Kremp, who Erica had actually dated previously before this ridiculous Geoff Schwartz fiasco?

I am slyly enjoying the "other Adam Goldberg" digs the show is getting in. Dave Kim vs Muscles Mirsky's advice throughout that exchange was great too. Dave Kim, pick-up artist.

I really enjoyed the Murray and Beverly story, it's always nice to see those two interact as a couple. Not to mention their pronunciation of the Mexican food in the restaurant was some good cheap laughs.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, shipmate said:

They are usually SO good with the iconic 80s stuff, but Live Aid was a real miss.  It was on a Saturday (not a school day) and it was an ALL DAY, HUGE event.  I remember this since my dad could have gotten tickets but didn't think I'd want to go.  I remember listening to it on my knock-off Sony walkman and sulking in the backseat of our station wagon as we drove to the Jersey Shore (along with the rest of the Philadelphians who didn't get to go either).

They really could have done something with that event too.

I usually don't mind when they play fast and loose with stuff, but this really bugged me.  Although Barry did mention The Hooters when listing bands who'd be appearing, so points for that.

• Love 5

I remember Chi-Chi's!  They were all over the place for awhile and then...... I don't really know what happened to them.  Those fa-JEET-a's were all the rage.

I like the Erica-Jeff relationship, but I think where they're messing up is that Erica suddenly can't get a date with anybody.  She's been popular since the show started, but now no guys seem interested in her.  That doesn't make sense.

Waffle Girl was in high school when Adam was just a little kid, and now that he's "a man" (9th grade), she's STILL in high school?  The math on that one doesn't quite make sense.

We need more Pops on this show.  I'm a George Segal fan from way, WAY back, and he doesn't have enough to do now that Adam is growing up.

• Love 7

I remember Chi-Chi's!  They were all over the place for awhile and then...... I don't really know what happened to them.

They went out of business in the US in 2004.  But you can still get their salsa at the grocery store.  Their mild salsa is one of the few which I can actually eat without burning my tongue.  Yes, I have a wussy tongue.

I remember coverage of Live Aid being interrupted for reports on Ronald Reagan's polyp surgery.  Damn you, Reagan's polyps!

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Runnergirl66 said:

I, too, was disappointed in the glaring errors regarding Live Aid.  It was held in July of 85, and definitely not a school day.  I remember the day well!

AND Funky Cold Medina was not recorded until 1989!  

yes this is where the show is in more of a "fictional 80s" universe than the real, historic 80s. 

The timeframe of when things happened in relation to one another in the 80s doesn't always fit with the stories.  One episode they are going to see ET in theater, which was early 80s, and then the next week they are talking about the New Kids, which was mid/late 80s, not at all the same time. 

They do that sort of thing quite a bit.

I did like him sitting in his lawn chair in his underwear in the parking lot.  He'll take his pants off anywhere!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Was the guy playing Jordan Wahlberg the eldest Kremp, who Erica had actually dated previously before this ridiculous Geoff Schwartz fiasco?

He was the guy from the paintball game, who bet on the game and said he owed Adam for helping them win. I don't see why Erica wouldn't be interested in him. I was sort of surprised she blew him off. Come back, paintball guy, to save us from the Geoff story!

The parking spot fight was quite similar to this:

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, dcalley said:

He was the guy from the paintball game, who bet on the game and said he owed Adam for helping them win. I don't see why Erica wouldn't be interested in him. I was sort of surprised she blew him off. Come back, paintball guy, to save us from the Geoff story!

Of course! Thanks. And yes, that would have been much more interesting.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, dcalley said:

The parking spot fight was quite similar to this:

But then she would have had to continue the charade that he was Jordan Wahlberg, this way she saves face and doesn't have to continue the charade.

This Erica story is just so lame. I just do not get why Erica is all obsessed with Geoff. Just because she cant have him now? Not much to root for. If they want to do Erica/Geoff, just have them get together already! I probably wont like it very much, but its something. 

More Pops! We always need more Pops!

I liked that we got a Murrey/Bev story, as I like seeing them as a couple. Even though I am pretty sure Live Aid was a much bigger deal (I wasn't alive then, so I dont know details) than they seemed to show. They could have built a whole episode about everyone at Live Aid, and adventures there!

Dave Kim and Muscles Mirsky clearly need to host a dating show. 

• Love 2

I usually don't mind when they play fast and loose with stuff, but this really bugged me.  Although Barry did mention The Hooters when listing bands who'd be appearing, so points for that.

The only thing that bugged me was that when they showed that Murray's stubbornness over the parking spot caused them to miss the show completely, it was still light out. It was an all day concert, yet we're supposed to believe it ended before the sun went down? I can assure you, it did not.

• Love 3

Possibly the best part of the episode was the reveal that the Murray storyline was an actual event. I thought it was a bit over the top, but clearly Adam F. Goldberg was telling the truth when he said he had to tone down how nuts his family is.

I like Erica and Geoff. I think they have great chemistry. But her pining over him is a bit much. We're supposed to believe a girl with her looks has no other guys interested at all? What happened to her being popular? They've really changed her character  from previous seasons. Also I don't like Geoff/Evvy because it means she and the Murray-like guy she met in the dance episode didn't end up together. Lies!

Erica's jean jacket in the final scene was to die for. Loved it

• Love 7
On 10/11/2016 at 7:31 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

I like Erica and Geoff. I think they have great chemistry. But her pining over him is a bit much. We're supposed to believe a girl with her looks has no other guys interested at all? What happened to her being popular? They've really changed her character  from previous seasons. Also I don't like Geoff/Evvy because it means she and the Murray-like guy she met in the dance episode didn't end up together. Lies!

Ditto to all of this!  I am really bothered by the fact they dropped the Murray-like guy. 

• Love 3
On 10/6/2016 at 2:26 PM, Runnergirl66 said:

I, too, was disappointed in the glaring errors regarding Live Aid.  It was held in July of 85, and definitely not a school day.  I remember the day well!

AND Funky Cold Medina was not recorded until 1989!  

Hee. Are you new to The Goldbergs?

This has been part of the premise since Day 1. That they have events from different parts of the 80s--and a precious few times even the early 90s--and mix them together as if they all happened as part of one story.

It is in part for convenience, but also in some part to convey the selective nature of nostalgia and memory. And really it is ALL creative license when it comes to Goldberg's own life anyway, because he was actually born in 1976. Which would make "real him" about 4-5 years old for some of the events we've seen a 13 year old (when the show started) play and no more than 14-15 for the stuff at the very end of the decade. So really we HAVE to think of time and memory both as pretty bendy for ANY of this to work at all. 

• Love 4
On 10/6/2016 at 6:38 AM, shipmate said:

They are usually SO good with the iconic 80s stuff, but Live Aid was a real miss.  It was on a Saturday (not a school day) and it was an ALL DAY, HUGE event. 

Nobody said Live Aid was on a school day; Barry said to Murray: "it's called Live Aid; the world's biggest rock concert ever is happening here this weekend and I need your car."  Although yeah, the month was July, not October.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if anybody in their family is a urologist: That's crazy, no one wants to be a urologist!

Confession:  I've George Glassed in my lifetime :)

Edited by ByTor
  • LOL 1