Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Guys' Guide to Courting

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, drafan said:

It sounded like an endless supply of recaps, backtracks, flashbacks, recaps of flashbacks, previews, previews of flashbacks, and recaps of recaps.

Haha!  A very accurate description of what this show has become.  I'm trying my best to drum up enough give-a-shit to write a full recap, myself, but . . . I got nothing. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My only thoughts are: Jessa's baby bump was so obvious when she was getting off the plane in Dallas, and Jill looked really pretty in her TH's. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Interesting enough, out of all the Duggar kidults, Jill is the only one me without sunburned (the boys) skin, or orange (the girls) skin, acne and oily skin.  I'm guessing she learned to protect her skin down in Danger America.  She is the palest of them all.  And her skin looked the best.

All of those horrid a questions asked over and over to each boy AND to each sibling were REALLY hard to sit through.  AWKWARD and just stupid.

• Love 7

This was a total dating episode for the Duggar boys. I am sure it will work, and they will attract at least 1 lady for one of the guys.

Jill definitely got her a great proposal. That is my favorite tv proposal. 

Things I have learned from old flashbacks that have been flashed at least 22 times: Jill sidehugged after her engagement, but Jessa full on hugged and squeezed Ben.

Jer and Jed were so close on the couch. They were closer than the married people. 

I saw a picture of Anna on Facebook and pregnant indeed she looked.

• Love 4

When I watch this show, I usually click off early because there are so many very long commercials for other TLC shows that I think I am watching one of them.  Therefore, "Counting" must be over.  Happens every time I watch.  There seems to be so little actual paid advertising.  All of their other shows featured at great length an frequency are really terrible as well.

• Love 3

If it was truly the couples themselves who wanted to enforce" their" standards while dating ( ie side -hugging, no kissing, or God forbid anything more ), then why do they need chaperones ? Do they really lack any self control , to the point that they can't enforce their own standards without someone  else watching them ? And if it's about accountability, then I guess there's no trust in the family since they must have a third party present to confirm that nothing untoward has happened. There's something so creepy and unnatural about bringing your younger siblings on dates. It's actually kind of rude too,  when you hear the young ones say the dating couple doesn't even speak to them because they're so engrossed in one another. And having your parents in on your texting conversations is beyond weird. Anyway, it seems the standards are pretty relaxed now, judging by the full on frontal hug between Jinger and Jeremey at the Dallas airport, and the fact that they are face timing constantly 24/7 . As little as Michelle seems to do around the house, even she would not have time to monitor all these conversations.

• Love 10

The heavy focus on Jill and Derick just reminded me of how segmented they are from the rest of the family now.  I'm not sure if it's because Jill was the snitch growing up or if it's because Derick hauled ass out of there as soon as he could....

Interesting that they didn't even mention Marjorie.  Josiah did say something along the lines of being intentional and simply spending time with the family.  I guess that didn't work.

These boys are such duds.  Some of them seem very nice and well meaning.  That being said, if I'm a fundie girl and know that there are guys like Chad Paine out there, I'm going to sit and ride this Stay at Home Daughter thing out. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

14 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I know! So insulting to actual long-married couples. And does anyone else remember how the Dullards were described to donors as going to CA to "help" them with marriage, because apparently those in CA are no good at it?

I can't even imagine how unhelpful it is to hear a load of "it's god's will" crap when you're an abused wife trying impossibly to make ends meet in an impoverished area with no means for escape.

7 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Aren't these people filming ALL THE TIME?? Why is there so much rehashing of old crap? How many times to I need to see Bin in the broom closet asking to court Jessa??

And maybe it's the NY'r in me but why do all of them talk so damn slowly? What's with all of the pausing? Spit it out! I hate slow talkers.

Ugh. I actually have to fast forward the broom closet scenes because they're painful. As for the slow talking, I do believe fast talking requires a bit of wit. Case closed.

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm waiting for the West Coast feed to come on, but if they don't ask Jana about dating, I think that's a good thing. All the badgering last season came across as really mean spirited. Jana knows she has no love life. The camera crew knows she has no love life. Hell, the entire country knows she has no love life and zero prospects on the horizon. At this point, it would be like kicking a blind, mangy dog when he's down. Cruel and unnecessary. 

I'm really hopeful that Jana put her foot down and said she's not doing any more asinine THs about whether or not there is romance on the horizon. It's old, tired and demeaning. They should be asking her about what she's learning, if she'd ever pursue a career, etc.

4 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Jinger looks absolutely fucking certifiable. I think she might be the most nuts out of all of them.

It was evident from last season that she badly needed professional help. She was depressed and miserable. Now she's flying high on endorphins, but what about when those wear off? I hope she'll be okay.

I can't remember Babe's exact wording but the patriarchy was indeed strong in his portrayal of courtship, something along the lines of the father giving his daughter to her husband. I know that's the way most of the world has always viewed marriage and the way they still do, but it's just jarring to hear in 2016, even though it's no surprise. Jeremy talks about Jinger like he was going shopping and ticked off all the boxes on his list of preferences. Then those nonsense questions from the producers about height, hair color, etc. for prospective mates didn't help. What a boring, talentless show, yet I can't stop myself from keeping up.

• Love 14

John Davvid is the best of the bunch.  He has skills, does jobs outside of the Duggar empire,likely lives someplace else other than the boys dorm (I can't picture him still bedding down there) and most importantly, I see a sense of humor lurking there.  Humor that requires knowledge of the world and a sense of irony, that the others don't have.  I'm so over tired of the "devils arrows) "servants hearts" "women be readily available for sex even if tired" "the lord this and that".   Until they can carry on a normal conversation about other things, they are sunk.  John David could talk about his volunteer police experiences and flying experiences but there is nobody there smart enough to listen and understand.  A conversation requires a receiver and there are none in that household.  Even Jill and Derik have nothing interesting in the least to say about their time in Danger America, or Derick's experiences in Nepal.  Boring beyond belief.  The only one who struck out was Josh, and he really struck on when he struck out on his own (sort of).  I wish so much better for John David but I give up on all the others.  The indoctrination is complete.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Annb67 said:

I actually have nothing to say right now.....give me a few. I'm sure I can think of something to snark about. I feel like all I heard  was....blah...blah..stupidness...blah..blah

Well, I didn't watch it. But I'm pretty sure that is all you heard.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

The heavy focus on Jill and Derick just reminded me of how segmented they are from the rest of the family now.  I'm not sure if it's because Jill was the snitch growing up or if it's because Derick hauled ass out of there as soon as he could....

I expect it's a combination. Plus another reason, related to Derick hauling ass. As many have mentioned over the years, it's clear that, in general, the Duggar kids have no relationships with each other, don't know anything about each other and so on. ..... So I expect that the only thing that really bond them are proximity --they're always sitting around on those damn couches --proximity and the fact that they're all they have. Nobody there has anything but other Duggars. Absolutely no outside life whatsoever (although they sometimes pretend they do)

Once you leave, as Jill and Derick did, all those "bonding moments" of sitting around silently on the couches are gone. It pretty much is out of sight out of mind, since they really share nothing except the TTH.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, becca3891 said:

I can't even imagine how unhelpful it is to hear a load of "it's god's will" crap when you're an abused wife trying impossibly to make ends meet in an impoverished area with no means for escape.

Ugh. I actually have to fast forward the broom closet scenes because they're painful. As for the slow talking, I do believe fast talking requires a bit of wit. Case closed.

I'm really hopeful that Jana put her foot down and said she's not doing any more asinine THs about whether or not there is romance on the horizon. It's old, tired and demeaning. They should be asking her about what she's learning, if she'd ever pursue a career, etc.

It was evident from last season that she badly needed professional help. She was depressed and miserable. Now she's flying high on endorphins, but what about when those wear off? I hope she'll be okay.

I can't remember Babe's exact wording but the patriarchy was indeed strong in his portrayal of courtship, something along the lines of the father giving his daughter to her husband. I know that's the way most of the world has always viewed marriage and the way they still do, but it's just jarring to hear in 2016, even though it's no surprise. Jeremy talks about Jinger like he was going shopping and ticked off all the boxes on his list of preferences. Then those nonsense questions from the producers about height, hair color, etc. for prospective mates didn't help. What a boring, talentless show, yet I can't stop myself from keeping up.

Every time I see this all I can hear is "auction time, auction time! My name is Boob and I am an auctioneer!" a la DIY's Texas Flip N Move" or "Sold to this gentleman..." from HGTV's Flip or Flop.

Edited by Malvina
Darn autocorrect
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Malvina said:

Every time I see this all I can hear is "auction time, auction time! My name is Boob and I am an auctioneer!" a la DIY's Texas Flip N Move" or "Sold to this gentleman..." from HGTV's Flip or Flop.

I heart you for this, @Malvina. Texas Flip N Move is my must see teevee. For all I know, all the people* who are featured in that show could hold similar religious/political beliefs to the Duggars (minus the fundie extremism, Gothardism, and bunny-like breeding), but they* are witty, funny, experienced in business and the real world, warm-hearted and friendly to people, and not living in their own little narcissistic paradise(s). I'll happily fire up the TV to watch repeats of TFNM. I can tolerate about three minutes of the vapid Duggars before I have to flip channels. 

Most of those Duggar boys need to be hauled off for makeovers before they go on the auction block for courting. Acne treatments and serious education. Long-term things, though. Not a quick fix and flip. 

But, but, but. . . I just realized. The Duggs are big into Christian patriarchy and male headship. So why are these guys sitting around passively waiting for some woman to claim them? Can't they just swagger out and pick one? Isn't that how the Big Dogs run? These guys are just sitting on the porch, occasionally scratching their asses, waiting for Princess Charming to show up with a big ol' Pyrex dish full of tater tot casserole.

*EDITED to add: This includes the women as well as the men. When discussing actual 21st Century real people in a Duggar forum, it always helps to clarify these otherwise obvious things. Sigh.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

But, but, but. . . I just realized. The Duggs are big into Christian patriarchy and male headship. So why are these guys sitting around passively waiting for some woman to claim them? Can't they just swagger out and pick one? Isn't that how the Big Dogs run? These guys are just sitting on the porch, occasionally scratching their asses, waiting for Princess Charming to show up with a big ol' Pyrex dish full of tater tot casserole.

*EDITED to add: This includes the women as well as the men. When discussing actual 21st Century real people in a Duggar forum, it always helps to clarify these otherwise obvious things. Sigh.

Boob's obsessive maniacal need for control overrides everything.

• Love 3

By the time I fast-forwarded through everything I'd already seen, commercials, and those idiotic blonde/brunette questions, I'd finished a one hour show in 5 minutes and hit DELETE!

Edited by Evagirl
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I expect it's a combination. Plus another reason, related to Derick hauling ass. As many have mentioned over the years, it's clear that, in general, the Duggar kids have no relationships with each other, don't know anything about each other and so on. ..... So I expect that the only thing that really bond them are proximity --they're always sitting around on those damn couches --proximity and the fact that they're all they have. Nobody there has anything but other Duggars. Absolutely no outside life whatsoever (although they sometimes pretend they do)

Once you leave, as Jill and Derick did, all those "bonding moments" of sitting around silently on the couches are gone. It pretty much is out of sight out of mind, since they really share nothing except the TTH.

Churchie, they have no relationship with themself either.  They have very little unique thoughts, opinions or ideas.  It's very controlled and robotic. They don't know eachother well because they don't even know how they feel or think about anything.  It's just blank in their mind from lack of stimulation.  Very sad.

I think Derick, ben and Nutter Jeremy, at least, have opened up their life a bit. 

• Love 5

So....I guess I just watched a new hybrid show?  "19 Kids and Counting" combined with "Let's Make a Duggar Deal," I think?  Which Duggar boy is behind Curtain Number One?  Would you like to trade him for the mystery Duggar boy behind Curtain Number Two?  But WAIT - the Duggar behind Curtain Number Three likes an organized blonde with a sense of humor!  Choose carefully!

What a transparent attempt to farm off these boys and get them hitched.  The saddest part is, I see lots of worthwhile characteristics in those young men, but I don't know what woman would necessarily want to get sucked in to Jim Bob's family and his manic controlling ways, and be burdened with having Josh as a brother-in-law.  Those are huge strikes against the Duggar boys, and it's sad, and it sucks.

The questions, though...the stupid, stupid questions.  Tall or short?!  Country girl or city girl??  Who came up with these dumb-ass questions?  And the fact that the siblings talk at such length, and put so much thought into their siblings' future love-lives is creepy in the extreme. 

Watching Bin try to ask for courtship rights in a linen closet, breathing in the scent of Jim Bob's halitosis and Michelle's Aqua-Net, holding some random cup of coffee, while Jessa stood there all wide-eyed...that will never not be bizarre.

#freeJohnDavid

• Love 20

Ben asking Jim Bob to court was almost as bad as the toilet birth.  Maybe worse because giving birth is natural.  Nothing natural about that courtship scene at all.  I wonder if Ben and Jessa cringe at that scene now that they have grown up a bit?  (I said "a bit") (haha)

Poor Derick. (no snark).  It's been said a million times here...I hope his surgery issues work out. 

• Love 8

The asking to court in the broom closet (aka Jana's work cubicle) is one of my all time favorite scenes. It just cracks me up.  Nervous suitor Ben is asking JB & M to court Jessa behind closed doors while the girls anxiously wait outside with the "who is he going to pick?"  teeny bopper looks on their faces.  Ben reminds of  the teenager that has to tell Dad he crashed the car.  Of course, Boob is wearing his serious "I'm going to throw up" look on his face.  I'm glad Ben told us last night that he was a mature 17 (or was it 19?) when he started courting Jessa.  I think he's pissed that Cringe & Babe are allowed to do things like frontal hugs that him & Jessa couldn't do.  He has to keep reinforcing how they stayed pure for one another. It's funny they didn't show Cringe & Babe when they were discussing saving their first kisses for the wedding. 

Jill commented on JB's serious "I'm going to throw up" look on his face when the guys ask him to court the girls.  She said it's just his way of stringing the guys along & making them wait.  I think part of that is true but I think most of it is JB thinks the girls will throw it back in his face if something goes wrong with their marriages.  Like "you thought he was good enough that you let him court (& marry) me" kind of thing. 

Thought it was funny on the flashback when one of the brothers asked Ben if he was able to support him & Jessa replacing windshields.  

We could have played the drinking game with "family business."

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

The questions, though...the stupid, stupid questions.  Tall or short?!  Country girl or city girl??  Who came up with these dumb-ass questions?  And the fact that the siblings talk at such length, and put so much thought into their siblings' future love-lives is creepy in the extreme. 

The fact that Jinger can't/won't answer these questions is fucking pathetic.  Tall or short?  Pick one.  Who cares.  You've got a 50/50 shot of being right.  And if you're wrong, who.gives.a.fuck.  If Babe was sitting next to her, surely she would just gaze at him as he provided the right (or wrong) answer.

Sorry.  That girl rubbed me the wrong way last night.  She may be dumber than Joy.

//I'm really not this mean//

• Love 11

Jinge has no space left in her brain to consider such weighty questions as "tall or short," being as it's full to overflowing with mental images of Baaaaaabe.  Plus, since she's so in love and all, she probably gives zero f***s on whether or not her brothers end up happy, or chained to Jim Bob for the rest of their lives.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

So....I guess I just watched a new hybrid show?  "19 Kids and Counting" combined with "Let's Make a Duggar Deal," I think?  Which Duggar boy is behind Curtain Number One?  Would you like to trade him for the mystery Duggar boy behind Curtain Number Two?  But WAIT - the Duggar behind Curtain Number Three likes an organized blonde with a sense of humor!  Choose carefully!

With those choices, you're better off with the year supply of spam & the goat!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Churchie, they have no relationship with themself either.  They have very little unique thoughts, opinions or ideas.  It's very controlled and robotic. They don't know eachother well because they don't even know how they feel or think about anything.  It's just blank in their mind from lack of stimulation.  Very sad.

I think Derick, ben and Nutter Jeremy, at least, have opened up their life a bit. 

Bingo. There's nothing to know about them. At least not anything near enough to the top to be accessible by others. I would think many have at least some hidden impulses, feelings, thoughts that they don't share and maybe are barely aware of themselves. (see Duggar, Josh) Otherwise, yeah -- Nada. Poor things.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Malvina said:

Derick: for Jil and I (ugh) we would print out a document with our standards on it and give it to our chaperones

Well Derick, you and Jill are idiots. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

I never liked Jinger.   i dislike Jinj more than Jessa.   She is just so empty. 

I agree. Even though Jessa can be bitchy, she at least shows sparks of personality and humor. Jinger seems incapable of an independent thought outside of "Baaaaaabe." She reminds me of a slightly more intelligent version of Priscilla Waller. Like David, Jeremy is going to dictate every aspect of their married life and Jinger will just blithely go along with her big googly eyes gazing adoringly at her headship. It's nauseating.

• Love 10

What a snoozefest! I now know even more than I ever wanted about the Duggar boys' dating preferences.

Derick looks scary.  All  that hair...and grease...or whatever that is.

JimBob is such a boob.  The way he draws out his response to the courting requests from the guys.  Oh, to be a thought-bubble above Jeremy's head while he was waiting....

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

The asking to court in the broom closet (aka Jana's work cubicle)

Not the linen closet, not a closet at all.  :)

It was in Jim Bob's office.  Jana's space doesn't even have walls.  Her desk is in the goodbye room or at least it was a year and a half ago. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Malvina said:

Derick: for Jil and I (ugh) we would print out a document with our standards on it and give it to our chaperones

I'm trying to picture myself writing such a document.

And handing it to a 12-year-old. And saying ... what? ...

Nope. Can't picture it.

Can picture myself packing a suitcase and running at top speed from my home to somewhere, anywhere, if this is what I was expected to do there, though.

• Love 9

Wonder how detailed that list is?  (josh could use a copy) Do the 12 year olds get a copy that is X rated? 

1. No oral sex.

2. No touching genitals either through the clothes or direct skin.

3. No touching through the clothes or direct skin during prayer times. 

I will let you guys fill in the rest.

But seriously, did they really need to type this up? 

• Love 4

JimBob is such a boob.  The way he draws out his response to the courting requests from the guys.  Oh, to be a thought-bubble above Jeremy's head while he was waiting....

The big goob couldn't even put down the cupcake he was attacking and give Jeremy (aka Baaaaabe) the courtesy of his undivided attention.

"What's the difference between spaghetti and linguine....ummmm, they're both pasta?"  If they're both the same thing then that's not a difference, you dim bulb!  Although Anna is even dimmer if she really is pregnant again.

I hope plumbing is among John David's skills because their drains must get clogged with all that long hair.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Maria Von Trapp said:

There's something so creepy and unnatural about bringing your younger siblings on dates. It's actually kind of rude too,  when you hear the young ones say the dating couple doesn't even speak to them because they're so engrossed in one another.

I felt so sorry for James the chaperone on Jill's birthday hike.  Derick kept saying all these nice things to Jill but was forgetting or trying to pretend James wasn't there.  James looked so out of place & naturally so.  He was like "Hey guys, don't forget about me. I'm sitting over here listening to everything you say."  Poor kid.

ETA:  Change of subject -- the scene with Boob shaking Babe's hand after granting him permission to court Cringe really skeeves me out. I know we discussed it before but it's like they were shaking hands after a business deal - like Babe had just bought a Duggar car.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 14
30 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I felt so sorry for James the chaperone on Jill's birthday hike.  Derick kept saying all these nice things to Jill but was forgetting or trying to pretend James wasn't there.  James looked so out of place & naturally so.  He was like "Hey guys, don't forget about me. I'm sitting over here listening to everything you say."  Poor kid.

I know, the poor kid seemed so eager to hang out with Jill and Derrick, and they acted like they didn't want him there. It's not James' fault their parents are loons who don't trust their adult children to go out for ice cream without fornicating in the Baskin Robbins bathroom. The whole concept of chaperones is just so stupid. Who wants to tag along on their sibling's date feeling like the fifth wheel? It must be so awkward.

• Love 12

I tried my usual next day you tube watching of this episode, the crazy leghumper who uploaded it to youtube as distorted their voices so much I couldn't even bring myself to watch it.  On top of that, I had read up to here and thought it sounded a complete snoozefest, so I am off to do my sewing orders :)  Thanks for the heads up on how pathetic today was so I didn't waste nearly an hour of my life!  Cheers!  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I know, the poor kid seemed so eager to hang out with Jill and Derrick, and they acted like they didn't want him there. It's not James' fault their parents are loons who don't trust their adult children to go out for ice cream without fornicating in the Baskin Robbins bathroom. The whole concept of chaperones is just so stupid. Who wants to tag along on their sibling's date feeling like the fifth wheel? It must be so awkward.

11 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Exactly.  Jinge is currency.  Jim Bob's currency.  And the handshake seals Jinge's passage from the man who stunted her growth from birth to age 23, to the man who is going to take over telling Jinge what to do and how to act, because this is all she knows.  It's disgusting.

The thought bubble over JB's head during that handshake might be:  "Here's my daughter.  I do not want to have to go looking for her.  I have a rental property 10 minutes away from my house, and your future plans will include moving in and working for me.  This is how it's done.  You'll start by cleaning toilets.  I have promoted Bin to trash pick up.  You're welcome."

Jer's thought bubble:  "If you think I'm going to live under your thumb like your other dim-bulb son-in-law, think again.  Unlike your spawn, I have a college degree.  I know more than you, your wife, and all 19 of your kids combined.  Bring it on, Mr. Duggar.  Oh, and Jinge and I front-hug when no one's looking.  All I have to do is throw something shiny for our chaperone to chase and she's on me like peanut butter on jelly.  And for crying out loud, chew a Tic-Tac once in a while, man."

Jinge's thought bubble: "..........................baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe...............................string art."

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

• Love 3