Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Guys' Guide to Courting

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, DOBABYR said:

What is TTH?

Tater Tot House.  Named after their signature casserole.  AKA the most disgusting thing they "cook" and the sodium laden reason why JB and Josh look the way they do

But they gladly share the recipe on their blog:  http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2010/03/tater-tot-casserole.html

As for the episode itself - just get on with the engagement already, we already know this family treats their children, especially the girls like commodities to own, protect and sell to the highest bidder.  It's not courtship and it's not standards it's controlling and creepy and no matter how many talking heads you have with these kids you can't sell it any other way

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 2

I've always thought it was "Tinker Toy House." Because it's built from kits that Jim Bob ordered. 

Longer story: he bought the land and ordered two house kits to make a big house (and then through some kind of shenanigans, IIRC, he screwed the company out of a third kit). He and his kids (who were all a lot younger then) were going to build the house. You read that right. No contractor, no professionals, they were just gonna totally DIY. That project had stalled and they were still living crammed into a small three bedroom rent house (they had I think 14 kids by then), when TLC came along. TLC paid to have professionals finish the house, and got them a lot of very nice fixtures and furnishings (including commercial grade kitchen appliances). And none of that was on Jim Bob's dime.

Someone correct me if I've remembered wrong. I've always wondered how the kids remember the change in living conditions that came into their lives with TLC. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 24

Tinker Toy House is the original version as said above because built from a kit.

Jim Bob allegedly bought the commercial appliances second hand from a restaurant that went out of business.  The story about the third house kit was that the holes were drilled in the wrong places on the second kit and rather than have him return it the company said keep it and sent another.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I've always thought it was "Tinker Toy House." Because it's built from kits that Jim Bob ordered. 

33 minutes ago, Aja said:

That's hilarious, I always thought it stood for Tontitown House. I have no sense of humor.

I love this - how the hell did we get so many definitions from TTH?  I think it was actually Tinker Toy in the beginning but somewhere along the way I heard people refer to it as the tater tot house and I guess it stuck with me. 

Edited by sigmaforce86
because "so many" is two words!
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

What is TTH?

Double-duty nickname. Also stands for Tinker Toy House. Since a bunch of children built it from a kit.

1 hour ago, Aja said:

That's hilarious, I always thought it stood for Tontitown House. I have no sense of humor.

Okay, triple duty.    Tater Tot, Tinkertoy, Tonitown.    Very seldom does one abbreviation stand for so much. It's perfect.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Tater Tot House.  Named after their signature casserole.  AKA the most disgusting thing they "cook" and the sodium laden reason why JB and Josh look the way they do

But they gladly share the recipe on their blog:  http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2010/03/tater-tot-casserole.html

As for the episode itself - just get on with the engagement already, we already know this family treats their children, especially the girls like commodities to own, protect and sell to the highest bidder.  It's not courtship and it's not standards it's controlling and creepy and no matter how many talking heads you have with these kids you can't sell it any other way

Funniest thing I have read all year! Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up on the facebook Counting On page, reading there is way more interesting than watching the show!  (As is here, btw!)  I tried to watch it again, now that my head ship has fixed the PC, but one flash back and I closed the screen!  Anyone that managed to sit through even half of it gets kudos from me today, that should be used for torture purposes, it is such a load of crap.

• Love 3

Yup. I believe it was in an early Duggar special; MeChelle recalled a phone conversation with JB where he claimed to have found the biggest tinker toy project ever.

Sad that I clearly remember the above but can never locate my car keys.

• Love 9
On 10/5/2016 at 3:25 PM, laurakaye said:

Exactly.  Jinge is currency.  Jim Bob's currency.  And the handshake seals Jinge's passage from the man who stunted her growth from birth to age 23, to the man who is going to take over telling Jinge what to do and how to act, because this is all she knows.  It's disgusting.

The thought bubble over JB's head during that handshake might be:  "Here's my daughter.  I do not want to have to go looking for her.  I have a rental property 10 minutes away from my house, and your future plans will include moving in and working for me.  This is how it's done.  You'll start by cleaning toilets.  I have promoted Bin to trash pick up.  You're welcome."

Jer's thought bubble:  "If you think I'm going to live under your thumb like your other dim-bulb son-in-law, think again.  Unlike your spawn, I have a college degree.  I know more than you, your wife, and all 19 of your kids combined.  Bring it on, Mr. Duggar.  Oh, and Jinge and I front-hug when no one's looking.  All I have to do is throw something shiny for our chaperone to chase and she's on me like peanut butter on jelly.  And for crying out loud, chew a Tic-Tac once in a while, man."

Jinge's thought bubble: "..........................baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe...............................string art."

Best.post.ever.

• Love 3

I haven't watched in years, but  I was so entertained by this page and comments I made the mistake of watching it this last week. Awful and boring. Wow,  can someone please send that family a vat of Tea Tree Oil?  

And the boys come off as creepy A.F.  The weird whistling thing is creepy too!!  Ugh

• Love 2

I remember the episode where a bunch of little kids, inappropriately dressed and using tools they shouldn't have been, were building the TTH.  They were putting up studs or something, and Michelle said, "Can you all say 'perpendicular'?" 

It was one of her finest homefoolin' moments.

• Love 11

This might be a silly observation, but here goes:  I'm just now watching this episode and in one of the flashbacks, they show Boob telling Johanna to get between Jessa and Bin during a prayer circle so that the couple doesn't hold hands. Johanna visibly swoons as she looks up at Bin and grabs his hand.  I also remember an episode during the Jessa-Bin courtship era where Johanna blushes and says how handsome Bin is (this is around the time when Mechelle was crushing on Bin too).  My point is, in Boob and Mechelle's idiotic attempt to keep Jessa and Bin from briefly holding hands, they very well may have kindled little Johanna's loins and heart. She may have then, and now, fantasized about "marrying Bin," etc.  It would have been better to just let Jessa and Bin hold hands in prayer, for heaven's sakes!

• Love 16
8 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

This might be a silly observation, but here goes:  I'm just now watching this episode and in one of the flashbacks, they show Boob telling Johanna to get between Jessa and Bin during a prayer circle so that the couple doesn't hold hands. Johanna visibly swoons as she looks up at Bin and grabs his hand.  I also remember an episode during the Jessa-Bin courtship era where Johanna blushes and says how handsome Bin is (this is around the time when Mechelle was crushing on Bin too).  My point is, in Boob and Mechelle's idiotic attempt to keep Jessa and Bin from briefly holding hands, they very well may have kindled little Johanna's loins and heart. She may have then, and now, fantasized about "marrying Bin," etc.  It would have been better to just let Jessa and Bin hold hands in prayer, for heaven's sakes!

Wow. That's not at all a silly observation. Very perceptive. Obviously, you - and the TLC camera crew - are more perceptive than the kids' headship.

• Love 3

I just can't get this episode out of my mind.  Watching a 17 year say he's relieved his education, if you want to call it that, is over make me so sad.  I have a 17 year old and he's having so much fun with typical senior things like homecoming, senior pictures, checking out colleges, etc.  His life is just beginning and they act like theirs is over.  Not saying all homeschooling is bad, I've seen it done very well, but it's heartbreaking to see how much these kids are missing.  The  way they act like they're above it all is annoying, but it still makes me sad.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned the Counting On Facebook page.  Reading the posts there is both mind boggling and addictive.

• Love 13