Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I think that they are keeping Whoppi because she is the only ace that they have.  Whoppi's Q score is still very high, and she has and continues to help them bring in high powered guests that wouldn't of come on the show otherwise.  If Geddy is really out I would love to see a Rosie, Whoppi, Star, Joy, and someone else combination. 

• Love 3

I think that they are keeping Whoppi because she is the only ace that they have.  Whoppi's Q score is still very high, and she has and continues to help them bring in high powered guests that wouldn't of come on the show otherwise.  If Geddy is really out I would love to see a Rosie, Whoppi,

It's not Whoppi, it's Whoopi.  It's such a tough name . . .

• Love 2

I see your point Ellie re: Whoopi's moderating skills, but honestly, with the babster interfering in every moronic way possible in the last couple of years, it's hard for me to see what she could do except give up.

She should have been able to ramp back up, but dealing with a screaming Sherri and a rather uninvolved Jenny, I think I'd get hives myself.

I love you suggestion of her as a special correspondent - would put her best skills up front.

• Love 3

The only way I see the show getting rid of Whoopi is if the ratings go down so far that ABC isn't willing to put in the money into The View budget that would pay her salary. To be honest, I suspected part of Joy's being let go might have had to do with her probably large paycheck after so many years on the show, among several other things.

I personally don't think Whoopi is that bad of a moderator when the rest of table actually has manners (this was Barbara's problem this past year) and aren't complete idiots whose ignorance and misinformation needs addressing at the end of every topic (Jenny, Sherri...). If they had an intelligent, calm panel, I don't think Whoopi would be nearly as overbearing.

• Love 3

I so agree that Whoopi wasn't all that bad without Granny interrupting her, repeating what she just said, etc.  And then stupid, juvenile Sherri's antics.

I can see why Whoopi sometimes really appeared that she just didn't give a shit.  I can also see her doing a good job as moderator if she's actually allowed to do so.  It's not like she isn't a competent woman in other areas of her life/career.  I guess we'll see.

Not a positive about myself, but I know my work was not as good when I was at a job where I had to put up with BS all the time.

• Love 1

The only way I see the show getting rid of Whoopi is if the ratings go down so far that ABC isn't willing to put in the money into The View budget that would pay her salary. To be honest, I suspected part of Joy's being let go might have had to do with her probably large paycheck after so many years on the show, among several other things.

I dont think Joy was let go.... I think she was ready to go..... and with the send off they gave her I dont think they wanted her to go

I miss the old Joy... but not the one that left

• Love 4

I bet she'll be fired at the end of July."

----------------------------------------------------------

Depends on her deal? Sherri's was up: she was looking for another. Whoopi probably --I don't know-- is under contract for the 14'15 season. ABC probably wouldn't pay her for not working, they'd just keep her.

I think they only reason they would drop her is if they got someone who really insisted on having the moderator's spot and being the highest paid on the show (do we know anybody like that).

I  think Whoopi will stay because of certain articles I have read she seems to have more power now that BW is gone. And will step up to the plate as well.

Not that she would not love the buyout of her contract which seems it is for another year....but with the power now.....

Plus she can pull in the A-listers to appear and who knows if the new panel can. In any event - GMA, Kelly and Michael, and even The Chew can.

Plus she can pull in the A-listers to appear and who knows if the new panel can. In any event - GMA, Kelly and Michael, and even The Chew can

It is amusing isn't it that The Chew gets more A-list celebs than The View does.

What's even better is that The Chew does a MUCH better job of interviewing and showcasing the celebs in a positive fun way and still promote whatever project needs promoting!  All while cooking and having fun and appearing to enjoy each other's company.  What a concept. 

• Love 4

The mods have received a request to rename this topic to something along the lines of "It's not Whoppie!  It's Whoopi" due to the often mistaken spelling of Ms Goldberg's given name. 

We don't really care too much about the title, but we usually give you guys the chance to discuss or vote on it. Reply, PM me, or like this post. Thanks!

• Love 7

Honestly, I just don't understand why some people appear to get so worked up when other posters spell her (ridiculous) name wrong. We all scroll over typos, misspelled words, and grammatical errors every day here and on other sites. Big freaking deal.

@Athena, I appreciate the chance to voice our opinions. I vote for keeping the current title, as I think it appropriately describes Whoopi and also questions why an EGOT winner is on such a crappy show. I prefer the title thread be about the co-host, not the posters.

• Love 12

I love when people spell it Whoppi. Cracks me up to say it while reading it. Whoppi, like she will whop you in the head with her opinion. Either title ok with me! This place is fun, so glad I joined after twop.

• Love 1

I vote to change it because precision when writing is important to me.  It grates to see "Whoppi" because it's wrong.  At the very least, let me take target shots at those who continue to misspell her name.

• Love 3

Frankly, babe, I give a shit.  Just doing my small part to combat teh stupid.

I don't care if the thread is retitled or not, but I agree with you on the misspelling of Whoopi's name. It bugs the hell out of me to see it as "Whoppi." No offense to anyone, but that's just the way I am:)

• Love 3

Frankly, if we're talking stupid, I think it's beyond stupid to change your name from Caryn Johnson to the ridiculous "Whoopi Goldberg". Even more ridiculous and stupid is that she has repeatedly explained that she chose the name "Whoopi" because people always said she was like a whoopee cushion due to her habit of passing gas a lot. What a class act.

I'm sure Whoopi couldn't care less how her (made up) name is spelled as long as the check clears.

• Love 4

There's a story out there in the I-net that Rosie has been secretly negotiating since spring. I just don't think she'd come back as a one-of-five equal. It would have to be as moderator (and highest paid cast member).

So that means either Whoopi must go or move down the line. If they pay her off it's probably for one year at 2.25 mil or so? I don't think R&W have any hostility per se it's more of a power move by Rosie. She doesn't need this job: I can understand her negotiating the best possible conditions. Rosie could also ask ABC to keep Babs away from any decision making role and just show up to plug her specials. Otherwise, stay away!

I think if Geddie says, there is little chance that Rosie comes back...... The only person that would need the ear piece is the moderator.... I think the only reason Whoopi would want the moderator job is so she would get the last word.... cause ya know she isnt ever wrong.... just ask her

• Love 1

Take this typo-laden site for what it's worth, especially since its source is Star magazine, but this is interesting:

'The View’ Whoopi Goldberg Begs for Firing with Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd; Ross Mathews Hired?

(Jul 05, 2014 08:51 PM EDT)

The producers of day time talk show The View have cleaned house, reportedly firing Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd after supposedly forcing Barbara Walters into an early retirement from the series. Word has it that, conversely, Whoopi Goldberg has practically been begging to be fired after execs reneged on their deal to have her host a late night show after Jimmy Kimmel. According to the rumors New Kids on the Block's Donnie Wahlberg's fiancé Jenny McCarthy wasn't singled out for her stance on autism per se. The oft topless and nude Playboy playmate was said to have been let go because audiences didn't like her, whether that was because of her propaganda about life-saving vaccines retarding the mental growth of children is anyone guess. Sherri, no doubt fearing her impending divorce to Lamar Sally, is said to have made a play for more money that resulted in her termination. It has been suggested that Chelsea Handler comedic favorite Ross Mathew will be hired for the new direction that the new season is going in, but nothing has been confirmed about the new replacements as of yet.

Despite being the only one from the previous season to have survived the vicious purge of '14, View host Whoopi Goldberg reportedly wishes that she ahd been fired instead of everyone else.

An insider who spoke to Star Magazine for their July 14 print edition claims that Goldberg hates her job, regardless of the unbelievable pay she is reportedly getting;

"Whoopi signed for a gour0year contract that earns $5 million a year...[but] she only did it bwacuse the network said they were going to help her get a late-night show after Jimmy Kimmel.

"But once she signed the contract, they dumped the late-night plan.

"She's miserable...and says so."

According to the insider, who spoke with the publication, Jenny McCarthy got sacked because she's awful, not because of her awful ideas:

"Jenny was upset about getting fired because she had just moved her son to New York.

"She was well liked, but the ratings were flat.

"They were anticipating a lot of competition from the new talk show Tyra Banks id doing and felt she wasn't working."

The insider swears that Chelsea Lately regular Ross Mathew is almost a shoe-in to her the new job--though it too is going to make Whoopi ever-more miserable:

"Whoopi has made it clear she doesn't really want a guy on the show."

Sounds like his View incarceration is starting to make Whoopi mean.

• Love 2
(edited)

Listen....do you hear that? 

It's the sound of my teeny, tiny violin playing a sad, sad song for poor Whoopi, (note two "o"s, not two "p"s), who's stuck in her miserable job a few hours a day, four days a week about nine months a year. 

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 5

Going back to the title, I wouldn't mind having it tweaked to "She's an EGOT Winner, what's she doing here?"

As for the subject at hand.  Bad grammar and spelling aside, I would believe there is a bit of truth in that.  I don't think she would be begging to be let go because a job's a job but I do wonder if she had hoped this would lead to bigger things within the network or Disney by now and it has not happened yet.

Considering the fact that Whoopi's the only one left (for now), what about:

Whoopi Golberg: EGOT Winner and Last Woman Standing

or

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner and Sole Survivor 

• Love 3
(edited)

The nightly talk show sounds a little questionable to me. This is still a visual medium with an emphasis on demo's. ABC creating a 1-1.30 am show for someone who comes out in a bathrobe and slippers? I doubt it? Would WG attract younger viewers?

The 5 million bucks a year sounds high to me also? That's double Joy's salary who took about 15 years to make what she ended her career making. But maybe Whoopi was in a good position when they had just fired Star/Rosie and wanted a high profile replacement.

The bottom line is I think they will have to dynamite Whoopi out of the chair if she's making that kind of cash for such an easy gig. There's no way she'd leave on her own no matter who she has to sit with on the stage. Even if she loses the Mod'  position.

Edited by Brownstone.Muir
  • Love 1

Brownstone Muir- your posts seem to fall right in line with what's happening!

7/3/14- I think they only reason they would drop her (Whoopi) is if they got someone who really insisted on having the moderator's spot and being the highest paid on the show (do we know anybody like that).

(edited)

I was just at The View's website to get a look at Whoopi's pantaloons that everyone was talking about today and I saw THIS:

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/news/view-news/rosie-odonnell-returns-to-the-view

The View News
Rosie O'Donnell Returns!

By The View Jul 10, 2014
The View is excited to announce that Rosie O'Donnell will be returning as a co-host with moderator Whoopi Goldberg for Season 18.

ETA: The View's homepage says it was posted hours ago:

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view

Rosie O'Donnell Returns!
By The View Posted 6 hours ago

Edited by LuckyBitch

Will someone please post a picture of Whoopi's pantaloons?

LOL, I forgot all about that. Earlier tonight, after reading all the comments about them, I went to The View's website to watch a clip and check out Whoopi's outfit. But, then I got distracted when I scrolled down and saw the news about Rosie.

So, I just suffered through a silly video clip and got a screenshot:

m2k5PqM.png

• Love 3
(edited)

As Whoopi would say, "What the hell..?"  I think she may have lost her sheep and doesn't know where to find them!

ETA: Those shoes on Jenny make her feet look exactly like Barbie's! They look painful. I will be glad when these ridiculous high heeled shoes are out of style.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 4
(edited)

Whoopi may consider herself cool and I think at one time (pre The View)  I considered Whoopi Goldberg kind of cool too.  But there isn't anything remotely cool about that mess that she wore today.  That was just plain ridiculous - as in she must have lost a bet or something.   I think it takes the prize and makes her look utterly ridiculous in that pic @LuckyBitch posted above.   Whoopi needs to swallow her pride and hire herself a decent stylist.  She can still be Whoopi, Cool Cat without looking like she just climbed out of a dirty clothes hamper. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

Frankly, babe, I give a shit.  Just doing my small part to combat teh stupid.

Yes, using precise language is important.  Combatting the stupid can start with proofreading your own posts for typos.

I always giggle about Whoppi.  I thought it was an intentional jab at the ridiculousness of the name.  

• Love 2

Very cool. I haven't watched the show in a few years, but does Whoopi ever talk about going to events like this? I think it would be interesting to have her spend a few minutes on a Monday morning telling the viewers what she did over the weekend, and maybe relating an interesting little story or sharing some tidbit. Kind of like Regis used to do on his show.

I think this picture shows how refreshing Whoopi can be. Just the look on her face. It's NOT all about her, unlike someone else............It seems to me others bring up her interesting happenings, she doesn't seem to have these things high on the list of things to talk about. (Not that she doesn't know it will be discussed, lol)

• Love 1