Type keyword(s) to search

Whoopi Goldberg: EGOT Winner, So Why Is She Here?

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I think Sherri was just looking for a reason to say Jesus. It helps out for her auditioning for Christian gigs...... I wonder if she gets all "flirty" on stage at a Christian show.

And if she struts out to the stage with her breasts thrust forward...or does some shimmy, she probably thinks anything/everything she does is appropriate as long as she intersperses it with, "Praise Jesus," and maybe it is. 

Religions are changing...and so is correct behavior at various services and gatherings.  Of course, I'm from the era and religion (Catholic) where we wore hats, walked in, kept quiet and listened, knelt, stood, sat, knelt, stood...then walked out.  Quietly. Prayed, of course...but no waving, praising, answering back. Change is good.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 3

Oh, I'm so glad someone mentioned this @Morgalisa.   Today I noticed she was sporting brown corduroys - in July under a shirt the size of a bedsheet (and just as tailored) and big ole' red vest.  Sherri told her she looked like Jesus.  ???? 

OMG, I'm not watching the show but read your comment. That made me laugh.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing these pants. Can someone post a pic of them, please?

Why do you hate me?

• Love 2

She had them on again today - so I guess they taped the show on Tuesday.  That's three times this week.  For the love of all things visual Whoopi, get thee to a stylist or at the very least an Eileen Fisher store.  Ugh. 

• Love 3

For the love of all things visual Whoopi, get thee to a stylist or at the very least an Eileen Fisher store.  Ugh.

Cosmo, come on, that's the only laugh I get from the show.  It just makes me giggle.  I can't believe that a grown woman would dress herself this way, so it seems like a costume and therefore it's funny.  And then I get to come here and read the funny comments about her clothes.  Win/win.

• Love 2

I haven't watched in years, but I remember when they used to mention her and have her on the show - Fran, the worst wardrobe stylist on all of TV. Is she still around?

@LuckyBitch,  I'm pretty sure the co-hosts wear their own clothes for the last seven or eight years.   I know Babs did and Whoopi for sure. Fran used to show up when they did those ridiculous Outfit for Under A Hundred Dollars segments and by outfit they meant, a pair of earrings and maybe a blouse.  My guess is she works for ABC as a whole more than The View and is probably in charge of picking up dry cleaning. 

In the photo above- Is Whoopi pairing her peep pantaloons with a grease stained vintage apron?

I tried to find video of her wearing the red vest with pantaloons without success...

Whoopi does tend to mix and mismatch separates (and wears lots of repeats throughout the week)

This week she wore a red vest with dark pants (reminded me of Christmas)

and the pantaloons with a dark (more formal) top (a better choice than the apron!)

I loved the story that Annette Benning told about Whoopi when they were Oscar supporting actress nominees together! Only in their dreams could the rest of the panel live this kind of story. Another reason why I put Whoopi on a completely different level from the rest.

• Love 1

In the photo above- Is Whoopi pairing her peep pantaloons with a grease stained vintage apron?

I tried to find video of her wearing the red vest with pantaloons without success...

Whoopi does tend to mix and mismatch separates (and wears lots of repeats throughout the week)

This week she wore a red vest with dark pants (reminded me of Christmas)

and the pantaloons with a dark (more formal) top (a better choice than the apron!)

This pic from Friday's show  is on The View's website:

it5cVu6.png

ETA:  Red vest, dark pants:

26ldjI9.png

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 1

I was "forcing" my middle-aged son to watch some part of The View (can't remember why) when he saw Annette Benning's description of how classy and gracious Whoopi entertained her co-nominees for a special luncheon.  He said, "They're impressed that they each got a gardenia?  Is a gardenia that rare or expensive."

• Love 1

He said, "They're impressed that they each got a gardenia?  Is a gardenia that rare or expensive."

No certainly not, but it is an example - the entire story that is - of Whoopi's generous nature and her way to quietly pay her respect to her co nominees.  I really do understand why the women she treated that day speak fondly of her.  What a gracious gesture.

Goes a long way to explain why she can get just about anyone she wants on the show.

• Love 4

Me too, Lava. I love that she is unconventional, has a unique style all her own and doesn't care what people think about her clothes, shoes and over all look.

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 3

I am fond of Whoopi, and I don't always agree with her at all. Same with Rosie. The two of them will be great, imo - what with their trials and tribulations - and clout in the industry on the new show.

And hopefully no dumb and dumber co-hosts like SS and JM. And thankfully no sex fixation from BW.

• Love 3

I think she follows a different beat when it comes to fashion

but I don't think she does not care what people think. I recall she got rather pissed when a columnist criticized the way she dressed at some awards show. Whoopi lost her shit and was calling the woman a bitch, point blank, to the camera.

I think the outfits she wears are sloppy, unstylish, unflattering. I think one can be quirky but still stylish. She has certain pieces that could be nice but then she throws on something else and it looks like she's a bag lady that should be hanging out in the front of Krogers.

Yeah, yeah, I know she's a stahhhr.

But that's how I view her when I see her in her frumpy attire.

• Love 11

Well, they are definitely frumpy! I think that is kind of a signature look for her, but she definitely was mad when called out about it by the columnist re an awards show!

OTOH she could have a stylist any time she wanted - hence my feeling it is her signature. I remember once seeing her in a short dress and she actually looked ok.

LOL - I can only imagine her thrill at finding the pantaloons. Sigh

But the same with Rosie. I really hope she has ditched her blazers by now.

• Love 3

but I don't think she does not care what people think. I recall she got rather pissed when a columnist criticized the way she dressed at some awards show. Whoopi lost her shit and was calling the woman a bitch, point blank, to the camera.

I think the outfits she wears are sloppy, unstylish, unflattering. I think one can be quirky but still stylish. She has certain pieces that could be nice but then she throws on something else and it looks like she's a bag lady that should be hanging out in the front of Krogers.

Yeah, yeah, I know she's a stahhhr.

But that's how I view her when I see her in her frumpy attire.

I remember that, too:

Whoopi Rips 'B$@%&' Fashion Critics

By PopEater Staff  Posted Mar 20th 2009 02:00PM

(March 20) -- Note to the fashion police and Stacy London: If you're going to critique Whoopi Goldberg's clothes, be prepared to face her wrath on 'The View.'

The ABC co-host let loose on recent magazine reports bashing her wardrobe. She took aim at 'What Not to Wear' host London and TV Guide writer Ingela Ratledge, who Goldberg dubbed an 'anonymous b----.

Whoopi opened her rant by saying: "I have a little bone to pick with TV Guide Magazine, particularly a woman called Ingela Ratledge," who wrote that Golberg goes on television "looking like you're ready to make a run to Costco."

Goldberg defends herself saying: "My style, who I am, is not about my clothing. If I came in a burlap bag, I would still be Whoopi Goldberg and I've always been me so you can kiss my ass."

Whoopi then turns her trigger toward London, who chided Goldberg for her "oversized and casual" apparel that she says makes it hard to take her seriously. Goldberg shot back with: "Tracy, honey, Stacy, whatever your name is, I don't need you to take me seriously. I am myself, I've always been myself and you don't judge me by what I wear, you judge me by what I say."

Ha, looking like she's ready to run to Costco? I would say that it would be a huge improvement if Whoopi only dressed that well.

Here's the clip - fast forward to the 5:40 mark. It's the very last segment of the show before the credits:

I think Whoopi was completely rude and unprofessional to go on live television and call a critic a bitch and tell her to kiss her ass. It's just a dumb magazine article; get over yourself. If you don't want to be criticized, perhaps a daily talk show isn't such a good idea? Television is a visual medium, after all. Her little drama queen stunt reminds me of the latest, and very tiresome, trend of all these "celebs" on Twitter putting their whole lives out there constantly and then when they receive criticism for comments or photos that they post, they cry "bully!!!"

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 8

I remember that, Lucky Bitch.   And considering that The View is a show that spends a LOT of time talking about other people - what they say, who they fuck, where they go, and even what they wear -  why do the hosts think they are above others talking about them the same way?  They gossip on TV.  SO, they will get gossiped about, too. 

Whoopi's pantaloons  look like old-timey undergarments.  I've not seen anyone wear them as PANTS before.   It kind of reminds me of the old Seinfeld episode where he is talked, or tricked, into wearing a "puffy shirt"  on TV.  (But i don't want to be a pirate!)  Whoopi's pants, to me, are "puffy pants"

• Love 8

I'm surprised she didn't add, "I've been a Movie Stahhh for Twenty Five Years!" to her rant.  Sorry Whoopi, but jeezus, if I looked like a bag woman on a daily basis I'd want someone to tell me before some stylist called me out on it.   It's not like the Fashion Police were calling her out for copying Julia Robert's Golden Globe outfit

Although I don't watch the other shows  regularly I can't think of another Talk Show where a host's wardrobe constantly looks like they just crawled out of a clothes hamper behind the Goodwill during a blackout.   

I don't mind "unconventional' either.  Ellen has her own 'unconventional' style and yet manages to look put together like most people do WHEN THEY ARE AT WORK, especially if that 'work' is on camera - whether it's the local news or a network talk show.

All that said, I don't expect Whoopi to change at this point.  She's got the gig, she wears what she wears and frankly, I'm not sure after seven years I'd recognize her in anything else.  I get thrown on the rare occasions when she runs out of white shirts and tosses on something else instead. And like @Morgalisa pointed out upthread, it can be very entertaining.  I've certainly found plenty to snark about regarding Whoopi's wardrobe on this show.  

• Love 5

Wow, that particular getup looks "interesting" on Julia Roberts, too.  I really had no idea anyone else would wear that particular look. But, hey, Whoopster has the Wizard of Oz ruby slippers going on - hee.

• Love 1

Costco?  Goodwill?  BWAHHHHHAAAA.  So funny.  Whoops looks like a bum.  I guess we feel with her money and success that she could dress classier instead of clownier.  Kooky? Yes. Not in a good way.

I agree with Cosmocrush, LuckyBitch and Maggiemae about Whoops' clothes and attitude about being untouchable with criticism. Pulleeze. You are on tv and spouting crap sometimes and wearing it frequently. But you don't want emails.   Go live in a cave.

I like Whoops sometimes. I liked some of her roles. I think we all expect better (and more intelligence)  from celebrities cuz they are good on screen.  Forgot that they are regular people as well, foibles and all.  Whoops had made big mistakes in her life (not spending time with her daughter when she was young, and IMHO, supporting her extended family now.  Does anyone work in that family work? 

Her views on rape/rape and men assaulting women cuz women hit first, etc., are horrendous.  She's losing my respect for her acting cuz of her personal views. Talk shows have not been her friend in that regard as posters have said.  Instead of telling us not to email her, she could say, go ahead and email, but I'm not going to read them.  Guess Sherri is not getting great advice either from Whoops if they both are so determined to do what they want, regardless of common sense. 

• Love 4
Wow, that particular getup looks "interesting" on Julia Roberts, too

CattyTiger, I remember that outfit on Julia Roberts and thought it was silly.  Most on Fashion Police thought it was WONDERFUL.  Ouch.  If I didn't like it on Julia you can imagine my love for it on Whoopie.

• Love 2

CattyTiger, I remember that outfit on Julia Roberts and thought it was silly.  Most on Fashion Police thought it was WONDERFUL.  Ouch.  If I didn't like it on Julia you can imagine my love for it on Whoopie.

Lordy, they thought it was wonderful?  Oh my gosh.  Obviously I didn't see Julia in it.  I just thought it was Whoopi putting a shirt under the dress since she wouldn't want to wear it without.  I guess Whoopi was really stylish then - lol.

I was with you ,CattyTiger. When the Fashion Police blessed Julia's outfit it was like "The King's New Clothes."

• Love 1

I  think Whoopi was mc-ing the Oscars or another prestigious event that is know for clothes, I don't believe she has done any of those since then.

I've noticed when she appears in movies or sitcoms or tv shows her wardrobe is mainstream.

I guess I don't care so much but do get a giggle at some ensembles, like the pantaloons, lol.

• Love 2

I thought Whoopie was going to have a stroke this morning...or maybe throw herself out of her chair (backwards) when the Blonde Ninny in the Yellow Dress championed "single mothers" who wouldn't be able to afford "$10,000-$20,000" for a smart gun to protect their children.  Pretty funny.  Then Ms. Yellow Dress was taken to task for saying that Whoopie "sounded like a conservative" in the green room.

Do you remember the days when we weren't labeled liberals or conservatives?  When every person could have opinions that ran the gamut without being categorized or ostracized?  When we could depend on newscasters and newspapers to present information in a less biased way (at least a little)?  Will those days ever return?

• Love 17

Do you remember the days when we weren't labeled liberals or conservatives?  When every person could have opinions that ran the gamut without being categorized or ostracized?  When we could depend on newscasters and newspapers to present information in a less biased way (at least a little)?  Will those days ever return?

Amen, sister.

That's why it's very annoying to me that The View would actively be in search of a "conservative" voice to sit at the table. I would much rather this show stay away from discussing politics (esp framed as liberal/conservative) and stick with just talking about issues. I feel because we are put into boxes, we are expected to espouse a certain viewpoint or else not be part of the group. I do blame Geddie for moviing the show in that direction, too.

I admit, many of my views lean a particular way. But that is not all of them, particularly some of the more hot button issues. But when we are catagorized like that, it leaves little room for change or growth and at least an open, honest conversation.

Sadly, I don't think it will change.

Whoopi did well today; loved her pushback against the lady in the yellow dress.

• Love 5

Amen, sister.

That's why it's very annoying to me that The View would actively be in search of a "conservative" voice to sit at the table. I would much rather this show stay away from discussing politics (esp framed as liberal/conservative) and stick with just talking about issues. I feel because we are put into boxes, we are expected to espouse a certain viewpoint or else not be part of the group. I do blame Geddie for moviing the show in that direction, too.

I admit, many of my views lean a particular way. But that is not all of them, particularly some of the more hot button issues. But when we are catagorized like that, it leaves little room for change or growth and at least an open, honest conversation.

Sadly, I don't think it will change.

Whoopi did well today; loved her pushback against the lady in the yellow dress.

Yep, The Spew is basically becoming Crossfire with fart jokes and Kartrashian updates.

• Love 11

I thought Whoopie was going to have a stroke this morning...or maybe throw herself out of her chair (backwards) when the Blonde Ninny in the Yellow Dress championed "single mothers" who wouldn't be able to afford "$10,000-$20,000" for a smart gun to protect their children.  Pretty funny.  Then Ms. Yellow Dress was taken to task for saying that Whoopie "sounded like a conservative" in the green room.

I have friends who are kind of all over the place according to issue. No easy labels there. I think most of America is like that and is exhausted by talking heads pushing the divide. I'm hoping for a renaissance. Then The View will be as outdated as shoulder pads. 

• Love 6

I thought Whoopie was going to have a stroke this morning...or maybe throw herself out of her chair (backwards) when the Blonde Ninny in the Yellow Dress championed "single mothers" who wouldn't be able to afford "$10,000-$20,000" for a smart gun to protect their children.

I missed the introductions but is Blonde Ninny in the Yellow Dress on the same network as Elizabeth? It looks like they all wear the same hair color. Like it's a job requirement. 

• Love 4

I missed the introductions but is Blonde Ninny in the Yellow Dress on the same network as Elizabeth? It looks like they all wear the same hair color. Like it's a job requirement. 

they are also required to wear a solid color sleeveless dress!  It is like a uniform.   I can hardly  wait  until there is a new Barbie doll - label  it Fox Bot doll!

• Love 2

Yes she is CousinAmy. There is a discussion about her in the Epsiode thread. I laughed when Whoopi actually stood up, sat down and back up. I thought she was going to smack down yellow dress girl. I admire her restraint.

I would much rather this show stay away from discussing politics (esp framed as liberal/conservative) and stick with just talking about issues. I feel because we are put into boxes, we are expected to espouse a certain viewpoint or else not be part of the group.

Yes to what you said Stacee!

• Love 2

I'm actually hoping for * more * politics with Rosie's arrival. Wherever women gather -- including The View and The Talk, I want laser focus on the erosion of women's rights, civil rights and human rights because it's too important not to discuss, especially with the rise of the fundy politician and another presidential election just around the corner. Leave the soft celebrity interview and fluffy filler to Dim Bulb Ripa and her ilk. Yeah, I know, a girl can dream....

• Love 11

I have to say, I'm the exact same way as you, RogerFromOhio. I always re-asses myself and why I think the way I do. Sometimes I do a little more research to make sure I'm not thinking irrationally. It just makes me feel slimy.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 6

To me Whoopi has been a bit rude lately. I normally don't mind hearing her take on things, even if I don't agree. Lately the "No, you can't say that..." to guest co-hosts, has been out of hand. Yes, THEY can say whatever THEY want, imo. "I don't agree and here's why.", is what I want to hear.

• Love 6
To me Whoopi has been a bit rude lately. I normally don't mind hearing her take on things, even if I don't agree. Lately the "No, you can't say that..." to guest co-hosts, has been out of hand. Yes, THEY can say whatever THEY want, imo. "I don't agree and here's why.", is what I want to hear.

She's probably fed up with the many (too many) blonde bimbos squatting on the co-host chairs.  Pastel dress, tight bodice, A-line skirt...and LOTS of spoon-fed opinions.  An EGOT can take only so much!

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 9