Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

But Noah, the American public (or those allowed to vote in certain states), already made the decision to allow the GoP to repeal Obamacare eventhough they haven't shown any new plan.  

Agreed that Biden needs to be told to knock it off.  What he's doing in only slightly less worse than what Clarence Thomas did.  Treat women like you've always done, EVEN THOUGH ITS WRONG.  He really should know better.

And yeah, tell boys that they shouldn't do anything to make a brother need to protect his sister, especially because not every girl has a brother.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

But Noah, the American public (or those allowed to vote in certain states), already made the decision to allow the GoP to repeal Obamacare eventhough they haven't shown any new plan.

And many voters who want the GOP to repeal Obamacare like (and use) the Affordable Care Act. Gots to love the informed voter.

And yeah, tell boys that they shouldn't do anything to make a brother need to protect his sister, especially because not every girl has a brother.

So annoying how people urge others to respect women because they're somebody's sister, daughter, wife, or mother. What about because they're individuals who have the same rights as men. Harrumph.

• Love 13

I really liked Trevor's remarks about the CIA/FBI report on the hacking and Trump's subsequent lies/tweets, especially the point that, most of the time, we won't have the report available to us to blatantly go, "You're lying, and this shows why" - the agencies will brief Trump, and he'll tell us God knows what.  Fun times ahead!  :shudder:

• Love 2
17 hours ago, angora said:

I really liked Trevor's remarks about the CIA/FBI report on the hacking and Trump's subsequent lies/tweets, especially the point that, most of the time, we won't have the report available to us to blatantly go, "You're lying, and this shows why" - the agencies will brief Trump, and he'll tell us God knows what.  Fun times ahead!  :shudder:

I wonder if disgruntled intelligence staffers will open the WikiLeaks floodgates ... more.

• Love 4

I forgot to watch Monday night's program until today, so I watched that then Tuesday's immediately after. I liked what he said about the nominated black films at the Golden Globes, that we should consider it progress that there are enough black films nominated to confuse people.

The graphic "Moscow in the Meddle" was excellent.

As for last night's show, I liked the Trump press conference -- Trevor's version, not the real one, which was disgusting and unpresidented (sic).

I'll probably check out the Lemony Snicket show, if the viewing platform is available to me. I can't remember where it'll be. Anyway, in the clip I thought that the actors playing the kids looked a lot like the ones who played in the Jim Carrey film. Of course the books had illustrations that the casting people go by. Still, I thought the young woman particularly looked like the one in the previous film.

• Love 1

It's pretty weird at first to see Aasif in the guest chair, especially since I've been watching him in the correspondent role back in early TDS days, but I'm glad to see that he's been doing very well and taking strides to critique the portrayals of Middle Eastern/Muslims on TV. I hope he will find success in his future projects.

• Love 3

Agreed, @DeLurker. How long did they have to pull of the graphics and the song? Yes, it was short, but it was spectacular.

How did Trevor get "into character" so quickly last night? Either the time between desk and podium was cut, or he held his breath and slammed his face into a bowl of snack.

I would have called Conway, "The Spinner", but the Bond-style opening was brilliant and really stylistic.

I liked Roy's piece simply because it was so ridiculous. The teenager thought it was a violation of "her second amendment rights." Ok. 

• Love 1
On 1/15/2017 at 3:25 PM, Victor the Crab said:

onathan Chait's view that Drumph becoming president was based on hate and resentment for the "black guy" he was replacing was pretty strong and not totally wrong. Might have been the most interesting part of last week's slate of TDS shows.

That and those people thinking 'oh hell no way we following up a black man with a woman."

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

That and those people thinking 'oh hell no way we following up a black man with a woman."

1000% this.  No matter how much they talk about ground game, and jobs, and "MAGA", and that wall, in the right places, white men were terrified that their so-called downward trajectory off the top of the heap was going to continue.

• Love 10

Glad Ronny showed up to get his revenge on Steve Harvey.  Wish we could've gotten a bit more about that part of the story, but they did a nice job with the Trump stuff, especially Trevor's riff about using "Obama made me do it" as an excuse for everything.

Loved Trevor's dressing-down of Trump for calling John Lewis "all talk and no action."  The tone-deafness is just incredible.  I laughed at Trevor's admission of having a "strict one-head-bashing policy" with his convictions.

• Love 3

Trevor telling Roy that he did a pretty good Steve Harvey impersonation: "It's mostly the mustache."

And the bald cap. If I had caught a glimpse while flipping channels I probably would have thought it was Harvey.

The phrase"alt footwear" for the Nazi imprint boots made me snort-laugh. I want to use the face Trevor made as my desktop wallpaper.

Damn straight there are no term limits in people's hearts!

• Love 2

Kudos to the person who posted or tweeted that Trump was sitting at the Mar-A-Lago receptionist's desk "writing" his speech. That's awesome.

Very funny when Trevor said that since Shyamalan is known for twists, does he invite you for dinner and then say, "Surprise! Breakfast!"

• Love 2

Haven't heard the O'Jays since I quit watching The Apprentice. Does New Celebrity Apprentice use that these days? I don't watch that.

Kudos to Trevor and the show for a well-done episode. I'm guessing there will be more commentary on Monday, but I felt they did a good job. And Desi plays a scared mother really well. Maybe too well.

• Love 2

I caught up watching last night's episode covering the Women's March and Trump Admin.'s first day, and it was a big knockout-in-the-park episode. From the crowd-manhood metaphors, to Desi channeling every female Trump defender (and Kellyanne) in just a few minutes, to the message and execution of the Desi/Jordan team-up field report, I can look forward to TDS lighting a tunnel of hope and catharsis for the next 4 years. 

Edited by The Luvly Junkie
  • Love 7

Agreed.  I especially loved the joke about how "of COURSE Black presidents have bigger crowds," and I cracked up at the penguin running the Staples in Antarctica.  

The whole thing about the crowd size and Trump meeting the CIA gave me such "we've always been at war with Eastasia" vibes.  Desk captured it perfectly with her Alternative Facts piece.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm really starting to love Trevor.

I fell when he did his first African dictator sketch. That was early days but it made me snorf and was distinctly his material, not just from the writer's room. I love the outsider's viewpoint he's brought to bear.

I wonder how much Trevor was vetted about his political beliefs before he was hired. Did the producers and network even care if he was liberal or conservative, and was it their specific intent to retain Jon's left-leaning viewpoint? I have to assume it was because that was the audience in place, but they took such a risk hiring Trevor when the easy road would have been to promote one of the correspondents.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Nice job by the TDS on air talent in reading Drumph's tweets (especially Jordan "Hitler"). But really, the only one who should be reading Drumph's tweets is Mark Hamill in his Joker voice.

Or Billy West in his Zapp Brannigan voice.

So is Sean Spicer's entire job to try and convince us that the emperor is wearing clothes?  All this harping on crowd size and CIA standing ovations and "unfair" media coverage is insane.  But I'm glad we also got the sidebar that Trump hasn't JUST been obsessing over his image - Trevor's tailspin about not having ice cream in the future because of Trump's actions re: climate change was good.

Edited by angora
Because Billy Zane is not Billy West
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

I wonder how much Trevor was vetted about his political beliefs before he was hired. Did the producers and network even care if he was liberal or conservative, and was it their specific intent to retain Jon's left-leaning viewpoint? I have to assume it was because that was the audience in place, but they took such a risk hiring Trevor when the easy road would have been to promote one of the correspondents.

They talk a little bit about this in the Oral History - John Oliver was Jon's first choice to replace him, but when they network hedged a bit by not offering him a contract before HBO, Jon recommended Trevor to Comedy Central after seeing him do his stand up. Apparently, Jon had been after Trevor to be a correspondent since 2014, but Trevor turned him down because he was too busy touring.  So did they vet the politics? Probably not, but based on his stand up, I'm guessing Jon got a good enough handle on his views to recommend him.  

• Love 3

I thought Lewis Black was the best at reading the tweets because I am convinced that Trump is frothing at the mouth when he's tweeting, just like when Black does his TDS pieces. Except for Black it's an act. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, angora said:

Or Billy Zane in his Zapp Brannigan voice.

Billy West, but yes I have enjoyed Trump in this voice.

Using "crowd" as a euphemism was wonderful and fit so perfectly (no pun intended).

Last night's show was good as well. Sean Spicer using air freshener to try to cover up Trump's stink was great. Loved Trevor's line that "someone took a shit on some old lemons." I need to look up that NYT article on Spicer.

One thing I hope they bring up is that the WH is apparently going to load the press reporters with people favorable to Trump in order to lob softball questions and even promote false narratives. GWB had done this as well. After Trump was elected I thought there's no way he could survive a press conference; his ignorance would be exposed for all to see. But if he keeps bringing his cheering squad with him even there, the press will be stymied again.

I always enjoy Trevor doing accents. Loved his aussie accent delivering horrific news.

• Love 1

I feel that Dippin Dots will always be the ice cream of the future, in that nobody would buy it in the present like we get Ben & Jerry's today (at least when it's on sale). If we're at an event and Dippin Dots in on sale, we get those, dig in with a spoon and like it. But we don't think, "Man, I can do this every week!"

Awesome job by the TDS gang with the tweets. Lewis Black is a natural at those, because he's a bit of a rage monster himself, but he's one of us. BTW, on Time-Warner/Spectrum, if you look up TDS descriptions, his name is in the credits, like he's a correspondent. He's a contributor. Also there: Jessica Williams.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Billy West, but yes I have enjoyed Trump in this voice.

Argh!  I knew that.  Typing inattentively this morning, my brain went "Zapp = Zane."

And yeah, the "Aussie newscaster describing a nuclear holocaust" bit was great.

5 hours ago, angora said:

And yeah, the "Aussie newscaster describing a nuclear holocaust" bit was great.

Trevor does a very good Australian accent, possibly because the white South African accent has a few similarities with the white Australian accent. Americans should NEVER attempt the Australian accent. I've never heard a decent attempt by an American - my ears took months to stop bleeding after Jon Stewart tried it! (I am Australian.) Trevor's accent work is one of the delights of his Daily Show hosting.

• Love 1

I don't think Trevor Noah is on the radar of Trump tbh. 

I thought the piece on executive orders was well-done and informative. He should have also pointed out that executive orders can face legal challenges too. I'm wondering if Trump actually knows that he still needs congress to put a lot of these orders into reality in the first place. 

I guess the news came out too late, but using "registered in two states" is highly ironic considering Tiffany Trump, Bannon, and Spicer are actually in fact registered in two states. 

I really like the point that Trump doesn't realize he is actually the news. After watching the clips of the interview, I really don't think he actually knows much about the office of president at all. 

I also liked the point of how the countries who are banned in the middle east have nothing to do with any of the terror incidents in the USA.

Trevor made a great joke with the Joker, but the subtle point for me was Trump's "how everything is angry." No, it really isn't, nor does it have to be. Yes, life is hard. But that doesn't mean it's justification for anyone to just lash out and marginalize people. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ganesh said:

I guess the news came out too late, but using "registered in two states" is highly ironic considering Tiffany Trump, Bannon, and Spicer are actually in fact registered in two states. 

And Steven Mnuchin, if I'm remembering the news piece correctly.  The funny thing is that being registered in two states isn't illegal.  (It happens a lot when folks move around); voting in two states is the illegal thing.

Oh, I know. Trump brought that up as evidence of voter fraud though. He's going to spend millions on an investigation, when the most widely known incident of voter fraud in the last election was for him. 

• Love 2