Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

The whole segment with Michelle Wolf seemed rather disjointed. Perhaps there were moments there that didn't work out as well as they had hoped.

You just described how I feel about all of Michelle's appearances.

I didn't watch this debate, but from what I've seen about the Ken Bone stuff, it seems people are in love with him because he can express his thoughts in a coherent manner and he seems like a teddy bear. The bar has been lowered that far that that's all that it takes for someone to catch our collective attention? I hope that's what they were going for, but I never know with Trevor. I remind me of his segment about that Conservative Facebook star woman.

• Love 3

Having seen more of Waters (the POS who went to Chinatown) than I would have cared to, all the criticism is warranted and accurate. He's generally not racist all the time. It's mostly about baiting "liberals" and doing the same people on the street don't know basic history/current events/trivia stuff Leno would do. And if it doesn't work, he'll just edit movie clips and sound effects over it anyway. I'm glad Ronnie took a jab at him for that tone-deaf, horrible segment but for the most part, the content he puts out is too worthless to criticize that much. It's just dull and unfunny.

Michelle comes off awkward and she breaks (starts laughing/breaks character) easily. But I think given time, she could become a Kristen Schaal type. And I agree with the show about Desi. At this point, What the Actual Fact doesn't really amount to much and I wish they'd give her something else to do. Why not send her out for segments like the guys? 

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 2

Trevor's dismantling of those religious right Trump supporters was a thing of beauty. Talking out of both sides of your mouths again, guys? 

Thank you, videotape archives and whatever monster search algorithms are able to find this stuff.                         

• Love 7

A day late - I really appreciated Trevor pointing out that all these politicians should be offended by the Trump tape because they are human, not because they have daughters.  They don't need to be related to females to be offended by it.  So, if they only had sons, would they be okay with that sort of "locker room talk"?

• Love 9
On 10/12/2016 at 1:54 PM, peeayebee said:

I didn't listen too much to Charlemagne Da God -- Did I get that right? -- Don't know if I missed anything good.

I don't listen to hip hop so I'd never heard of him. He has nationally syndicated radio hip hop show.  It's big enough Hillary did an interview with him.  He is the guy Hillary was talking to when she said she carries hot sauce in her purse very early in the campaign. (A bunch of shows including sniffs the Nightly Show and maybe something on MSNBC? played that clip.) He was interesting beyond that. 

My favorite Lewis Black line was more Americans went to see Taken 2 than voted in the election that year and the plot's in the title: Someone gets Taken! Again!

• Love 3
On 10/13/2016 at 0:33 AM, aradia22 said:

Michelle comes off awkward and she breaks (starts laughing/breaks character) easily. But I think given time, she could become a Kristen Schaal type. And I agree with the show about Desi. At this point, What the Actual Fact doesn't really amount to much and I wish they'd give her something else to do. Why not send her out for segments like the guys? 

I think I agree re: Michelle.  I watched last night the (Tuesday, I think) episode, where she and TN had their desk conversation (very reminiscent of when KS would be on) and she seemed really relaxed.  Perhaps she just needs someone to play off.  It was like watching a brother/sister having a conversation.  Liked the end with Stalker!Trump.

• Love 1
On 10/12/2016 at 5:56 PM, aradia22 said:

I didn't really get the Ken Bone thing either. 

My take on it is that what we we saw at that debate, and really over the course of the weekend, was so shocking that people are looking for any type of distraction.  Ken Bone was as about as far away from Trump as you can get.

• Love 2

The clips from the evangelicals were great. I'm surprised they had to go back that far to find contradictory statements for some of them. Yeah, I feel bad for the people who have to go searching for those things.

I feel like I think of myself as not being very liberal the way people who are not middle class still think of themselves as middle class. But then I hear about what some colleges are like now and I'm reminded that yes, in some ways I am more moderate/conservative and I'm glad I'm a little older than the tumblr generation. Basically, there will always be people who take things to extremes and young people can be especially passionate. I suppose it also matters what you major in, though most liberal arts schools will throw everyone together for some core classes that tend to be more based in the humanities. I don't think that segment made a very good point because yeah, it's difficult to sort out the balance. It reminded me a bit of the article I was reading in Vanity Fair about women's colleges.

• Love 3

I loved Jordan Klepper's piece interviewing all the Trump supporters who say that "everyone/all men" say those things, and then he asks, "oh, your husband?  No.  Your son? No, Your boss?  No. Anyone you actually know?  No."  But still "all men" say those things.

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I loved Jordan Klepper's piece interviewing all the Trump supporters who say that "everyone/all men" say those things, and then he asks, "oh, your husband?  No.  Your son? No, Your boss?  No. Anyone you actually know?  No."  But still "all men" say those things.

I started the clip was just too depressed and disgusted to get past the first 15 seconds or so. Weep for humanity. Weep for America.

• Love 6

One thing I like about The Daily Show is that when they're doing these segments, of course they're talking to the people who prove their point. Not that it would be difficult at a Trump rally to find people who were still supporting him in spite of what he's said and done (because, obviously why else would they be there?). But they will show people in the background giving the camera the finger and occasionally they'll show the people who try to argue. People know what TDS is and it's not like they're preying on people and tricking them into looking stupid. They put you on camera to say what you think and if you look dumb because of that, that's on you.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Like dusang, I got depressed from that piece. People who say they'll vote for him no matter what he says or does are simply idiots. I get that these people wouldn't change their vote if Trump said n@@@@r or told people to f##k little pigs, but what if he said, "All my supporters are stupid. I don't know why you all are following me. Don't you use your brains?" Would they still vote for him, or are they just that stubborn? I think it's both.

• Love 3
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 5:56 PM, aradia22 said:

I didn't really get the Ken Bone thing either. 

Looks like the Ken Bone love fest may be over with his past posts on Reddit being revealed. 

Who knows what else they may dig on this guy but I have no sympathy as he should have known as soon as he decided to enjoy and profit from  his 15 minutes of fame his past will be dug up. 

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Victor the Crab said:

I do hope Trevor was being sarcastic in his "love" for Ken Bone. If, after having a front row seat and witnessing a repulsive figure stalk a woman half his size, threaten to throw her in jail for no reason other than to satisfy his radioactive ego, and obnoxiously interrupt and talk over everyone every chance he gets, you still can't figure out who to vote for president, then maybe it's best that you stay home on election night. Better safe than sorry. This fascination with this little red sweater guy is why we have Drumph as a major candidate for U.S. president in the first place

Unfortunately true. 

Jordan's piece wasn't shocking. Those people acted as I expected them to act. 

• Love 4

That most recent bit from Desi Lydik was really good. It had a lot of clever lines that went by so fast and were delivered so well that if you weren't listening closely, you would have missed them. Well done, show.

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

I loved Trevor's answer to the predictable "he said, she said" defense - both the fact that, in this case, it's more like "he said, she said, she said, she said, she said..." and that, given the Access Hollywood tape, the "he said" didn't contradict the "she saids" to start with.  That was perfect.

• Love 8
On 10/14/2016 at 3:37 PM, peeayebee said:

Like dusang, I got depressed from that piece. People who say they'll vote for him no matter what he says or does are simply idiots. I get that these people wouldn't change their vote if Trump said n@@@@r or told people to f##k little pigs, but what if he said, "All my supporters are stupid. I don't know why you all are following me. Don't you use your brains?" Would they still vote for him, or are they just that stubborn? I think it's both.

The thing is, aren't Hillary supporters the same way? I wish TDS would do a segment at a Clinton rally (although it wouldn't be as much fun as a Trump rally). 'Does it bother you that Hillary destroyed 30,000 e-mails?' Yes 'Do you find her trustworthy?' No.  'Will you still vote for her?' 'Cause I sure as hell don't want Trump to be President.'  

I'm not saying that the two candidates are the same. But both candidates are flawed and are unpopular, even with their supporters. I'd just like TDS to show that the loyal support goes both ways. 

3 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Is she trustworthy?  No less than the vast majority of other politicians in the past.  She's certainly more trustworthy than Trump, which as been proven by neutral sources.

Fair and Balanced  should not create a False Equivalency.  Its tiring to hear people say that she or the Dems have to be criticized as equally as Trump or the Reps.  No they don't.  If the facts are not the same, then the treatment of the facts doesn't have to be the same either.  You really cannot compare a real estate 'celebrity' mogul who's cheated, scammed and discriminated his way in business all his life with someone who's spent their life in public and government service.  

Further, even if you must require that Hillary needs to be examined and evaluated the same as Trump, well Hillary has already undergone over 20 years of examination and evaluation by people trying to take her and Bill down, and there has been absolutely nothing that was proven, other than Bill finally admitting that he had a consensual sexual relationship with another adult who worked for him.   Trump has had, what, 6 months of real examination, if that?

So yeah, there's been plenty of 'fair and balanced.'

I totally agree with you, and I think TDS is missing an opportunity to show that. Although Trump constantly tries to make her seem as corrupt as he is, she really isn't. Trump has been able to create the perception among his supporters (and some non-supporters) that Hillary is just as despicable, or worse. Facts prove otherwise, but not all Americans know or care about facts.

I know most Daily Show viewers are sophisticated enough to see through Trump's smoke and mirrors, but I think the writers still owe it to viewers to say, "We looked at Hillary, too, and this is why Donald Trump's accusations are unfounded..."

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, topanga said:

I know most Daily Show viewers are sophisticated enough to see through Trump's smoke and mirrors, but I think the writers still owe it to viewers to say, "We looked at Hillary, too, and this is why Donald Trump's accusations are unfounded..

John Oliver did something like that.  Ended up by showing a raisin cookie for Hillary and a huge deluge of raisins for Trump.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

The T-Rex quacking made me laugh much harder than I think was intended. 

Me too! And during that segment, "Jurassic Park" was the first thing that came to mind. That very scene, no less!

We all knew what was coming when that clip started, but actually hearing it was still hysterical. Heck, just thinking about it now makes me laugh.

When Russell Simmons said, "People need to blame their discomfort on someone else," I was all Amen! It's a simple statement, but it's also completely true. I've noticed with my BIL that he blames EVERYTHING on someone, or something, else. If he trips, it's the damn carpet. But that mindset is definitely where Trump is at. NOTHING is his fault. He has done nothing wrong. He's telling his supporters that THEY have done nothing wrong. The blame goes elsewhere, and there are plenty of scapegoats. I just wish Simmons hadn't gone off on the tangent of factory farming. Yes, it's an important and under-discussed issue, but his digression derailed the interview.

Would this be the correct way to write Trevor's suggested slogan: Trump for President. Uh, please. (I want to capture the tone.)

• Love 2

I'm appreciative of Simmons and his organization but I could have sworn he said something about how Bosnia, Rwanda and Nazi Germany happened overnight?!  As if they just suddenly boiled over.  And to then have Trevor call him this religious scholar?  I was a bit underwhelmed.  Or did I hopefully not hear the "didn't just" before "boiled over"?  Overall I think I just find Simmons a bit full of himself so that even when he is saying things I agree with, his delivery is not there for me.  He really was a rambling interview I thought and lacked clarity that was needed.  Again he said some things I strongly agree with but over all I was surprised at how Trevor, who is still under a slight learning curve in interviewing (though I think he is getting better in large leaps and bounds) seemed to have to guide him more than someone like Simmons should.  

I liked the piece on Yemen because I do think it stands to be another moment when we look back and think "crap, why did we do that?"

• Love 2

ITA that Jurassic Park was the first thing I thought of when they brought up the quacking dinos.  So happy for the T-Rex clip.

I thought the story on Trump's claims about the election being rigged was really good, especially Trevor's comments about how Trump plays at being coy so he can assert that he technically never said the thing he's implying.  I loved his point, that if you were actually trying to warn people about something catastrophic occurring, you wouldn't pull that suggestive "you know where" shit.  (The line about Trump swerving to miss the N-word in the middle of the road was great, too.)

• Love 3
13 hours ago, angora said:

ITA that Jurassic Park was the first thing I thought of when they brought up the quacking dinos.  So happy for the T-Rex clip.

They'll replace the huge roar with an extremely loud "AAAAAFFFFFFFLLAAAAAACCC".

Talk about planting kids.  loved how they turned their heads to avoid his lips.

So wikileaks is hacking emails (or getting hacked emails) from everyone except the Clintons.  So apparently the Clinton's email server is amazingly secure.  So tell me again how Clinton using this private email server put national secrets at risk?

• Love 8

Trump with the black girls is so transparently pandering. Yes, everything he does is pandering (as is the same for most politicians), but here it's esp gross. First off, he comes across as a white man trying to prove that he likes black people just as much as he does white people, and that he thinks black females are just as attractive. Second, his trying to force a kiss on these girls is just EWWW in light of his words that he can't help kissing women.

The comparison of Melania's two interviews was just jaw-dropping. Plagiarizing herself, as Trevor put it. I kind of feel bad for her, certainly being coached to within an inch of her life, though she did marry Trump in the first place. I don't know if it was part of the coaching for her to say that she wondered if Billy and Donald knew the mics were on because that was a dumb thing to say. Does not knowing excuse what they said? No.

Loved the joke about Wikileaks being a Hawaiian adult diaper.

I hadn't heard about the email where Donna Brazile says she sometimes gets the questions in advance. After this email came out, she said that she does not get them in advance. Of course many people will say she's lying, but I recall an interview with a cybersecurity expert (I think it was) who said that the modus operandi of this type of hacking is to release real info and then follow up with doctored info. It's possible that this is a fake or altered email that the Russians created. I know I'm biased, but there is a real possibility that some of these emails are not as they seem.

I love Uzo Aduba. I've only seen her in OITNB, but she is outstanding there. I can't imagine the show without her.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

I liked the piece on Yemen because I do think it stands to be another moment when we look back and think "crap, why did we do that?"

The rebels fired missiles at US ships in international waters, so we took out their radar stations.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Trump with the black girls is so transparently pandering. Yes, everything he does is pandering (as is the same for most politicians), but here it's esp gross. First off, he comes across as a white man trying to prove that he likes black people just as much as he does white people, and that he thinks black females are just as attractive. Second, his trying to force a kiss on these girls is just EWWW in light of his words that he can't help kissing women.

The comparison of Melania's two interviews was just jaw-dropping. Plagiarizing herself, as Trevor put it. I kind of feel bad for her, certainly being coached to within an inch of her life, though she did marry Trump in the first place. I don't know if it was part of the coaching for her to say that she wondered if Billy and Donald knew the mics were on because that was a dumb thing to say. Does not knowing excuse what they said? No.

[...]

I hadn't heard about the email where Donna Brazile says she sometimes gets the questions in advance. After this email came out, she said that she does not get them in advance. Of course many people will say she's lying, but I recall an interview with a cybersecurity expert (I think it was) who said that the modus operandi of this type of hacking is to release real info and then follow up with doctored info. It's possible that this is a fake or altered email that the Russians created. I know I'm biased, but there is a real possibility that some of these emails are not as they seem.

I tried finding some info about the girl after the rally footage went viral, but I was unable to do so. Was she there with her parents? Are they actual Black Trump supporters?! There have to be some, I guess (though the number seems to be very, very low, according to polls).

The Melania side-by-side comparison was fantastic, and something I haven't seen anywhere else.

My favorite Wikileaks "scoop" is the one where "Paul Krugman from the New York Times sent a first draft to the campaign for approval, proving that NYT is phony journalism." LOL -- First Draft is the name of one of the NYT's newsletters. Literally anybody can subscribe to it.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, trow125 said:

My favorite Wikileaks "scoop" is the one where "Paul Krugman from the New York Times sent a first draft to the campaign for approval, proving that NYT is phony journalism." LOL -- First Draft is the name of one of the NYT's newsletters. Literally anybody can subscribe to it.

OMG. That is priceless!

• Love 2

Nice little shoutout Trevor gave Ollie with the Vast Leaks Tonight title card. But good for Trevor in doing what Ollie never ever did on his last episode, which was to call out the released emails from Wikileaks as the big steaming pile of nothing that they truly are. Julian Assange is the boy who cried "wolf" far too many times.

Ewwww! Drumph kissing little girls like that is nothing but creepy and disgusting. When is he finally going to be put on a sex offenders list?

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

The rebels fired missiles at US ships in international waters, so we took out their radar stations.

Oh.  My bad.  I didn't realize you would think I only knew about Yemen from the mention here and that I don't read or listen to any other news.  I actually make an effort to be somewhat informed and thankfully have discovered I can do so without even relying on the US media ;) 

Which was my point about having the show discuss something I think gets glossed over in the US media. 

But I'm still quite pleased Trevor brought it up since, as the per the point of the show since I think military intervention is not boiled down to a simple sentence in how it can affect the nation in the long term. 

The side by side was hysterical.  And you know that whole cyber bullying was her marital Creature projecting himself on the matter.  Of course he wants social media to be nicer, except for himself. 

"Donald Trump is basically running a cockfight camp in the woods, and yet everyone’s upset that Hillary’s the naughtiest kid at chess camp." Hee! And hooray for Trevor pointing out the false equivalency thing!

• Love 8

This. I find it baffling that he would think kissing them would be appropriate. 

The comparison of Melania's two interviews was just jaw-dropping. Plagiarizing herself, as Trevor put it. I kind of feel bad for her, certainly being coached to within an inch of her life, though she did marry Trump in the first place.

I actually found myself admiring her a bit. I mean, the words were garbage but unlike Trump, she's able to stay on script and staying on script to that extent is kind of impressive.

The black millennials made me so sad. They like so many in their generation want the pure perfect candidate that does not and will never exist. Only thing that will cure them of that is time.

Same. Generally I don't buy into a lot of the generational stuff said about millennials but having taken some trips down to comment sections, I do think a lot of young people are somewhat misguided in their idealism. (Granted, I know a lot of them also happen to be teenagers with internet access and not registered voters.) As much as we might not like it and might want to start over, it's almost November. This is what we've got and it's time to make a decision. All being stubborn is going to do is throw away your vote which is what the people you don't support would prefer.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

I didn't realize you would think I only knew about Yemen from the mention here and that I don't read or listen to any other news. 

Well, you see, I don't know you.  I only know what you type.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

The black millennials made me so sad. They like so many in their generation want the pure perfect candidate that does not and will never exist. Only thing that will cure them of that is time. 

I wonder if the black millennials in this segment actually did research on the candidates or are they repeating what they hear on TV, radio, Internet or from family and friends. I think they are making excuses because ultimately they don't want to vote. I know people in their 40s and 50s making the same excuses as the millennials but adding, "I have to work. I don't have time. The lines are too long." or bluntly saying, "I don't want to. I don't care."

There are people in my age group who don't want to vote because the polls have Clinton leading. Mind you they prefer Clinton over Trump but they think it's in the bag for Clinton so they don't have to vote. I'm on them to get out and vote because there are millions of people with that same mindset and if they stay home, it will affect the election. 

I did laugh at Roy's Sam Jackson and Mike Tyson imitation and felt at the end of the segment Roy wanted a drink. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

I shut that mess off midway through. Obama was here in Cleveland a week ago and the rally was filled with thoughtful engaged young people. Those are the ones I keep in mind now. I'm done giving attention to people too shallow to understand what elections are really about. Too many people of all ages seem to think that elections are about choosing a soulmate not a representative and I'm done indulging these special snowflakes regardless of their age or race. These are people who want us all to focus on them and their precious, precious feelings. They want to be wooed and romanced and treated like the most valuable voter in the world. The entitlement is noxious and I now choose to deny the fire any oxygen.

The funny thing is that those millennials seemed to not understand is that when TDS puts a bunch of you in a room and asks your opinion, you're the punch line of a joke. I've always wondered how people never seem to clue into that. I thought it was just right-wingers who missed that but clearly lack of self-awareness doesn't discriminate. Nothing and no one could ever make me sit on one of those "panels" and if I were ever invited to do one, it would make me question just how far I was on the wrong side of an issue.

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, marceline said:

The funny thing is that those millennials seemed to not understand is that when TDS puts a bunch of you in a room and asks your opinion, you're the punch line of a joke. I've always wondered how people never seem to clue into that. I thought it was just right-wingers who missed that but clearly lack of self-awareness doesn't discriminate. Nothing and no one could ever make me sit on one of those "panels" and if I were ever invited to do one, it would make me question just how far I was on the wrong side of an issue.

I get your point but there are examples on TDS where the panel was on the joke -- I'm pretty sure Jessica Williams' did a street harassment piece, Hasan had the Canadians who sponsored Syrian refugees, there was a panel of employees from some company Drumph kept talking about.  I guess those rare examples feed the delusions of these people that they are the good guys.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, dusang said:

I get your point but there are examples on TDS where the panel was on the joke -- I'm pretty sure Jessica Williams' did a street harassment piece, Hasan had the Canadians who sponsored Syrian refugees, there was a panel of employees from some company Drumph kept talking about.  I guess those rare examples feed the delusions of these people that they are the good guys.

I thought about that after I posted and was reminded of my favorite one.

Samantha Bee talks with kids about Obama's decoupage Christmas decorations.

When the kid at the end looks at Sam and says, "Woman, go take your pills..." I wanted to hug her.

I stand by my statement that if I were ever invited on one of those panels I would truly question what side of the issue I was on, though.

• Love 2

The only thing that allowed me to get through Roy's panel without tearing my hair out was the knowledge that while those kids may not be voting for Hillary, their mothers & grandmothers certainly will be. Black women are one of the most reliable voting blocs for the Dems.

...the number of black women who turn out to vote is higher than any other demographic group – 70% in 2012. That number has been rising since 1996, so it is more than a response to the candidacy of Barack Obama. And no group votes more consistently Democratic than black women.

• Love 1