Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Confederacy sounds ridiculous. There's just way way way too much that had to fall into place for the south to have won that strains suspension of disbelief for me too much. Roy's piece was hilarious, especially 'slavery is wicked hard'.

• Love 3
On 7/13/2017 at 9:33 AM, nodorothyparker said:

I could see what Neal Brennan was going for his bit about how the Democrats should sit back and do nothing and let the Republicans step on their own dicks at every turn, because he's right that they are doing a bang up job of it, but something about it wasn't landing for me. Suggesting inaction, even in obvious jest, is kind of how we got here and ignores that depending on where all the Russia election hacking mess goes, that there's still always another election coming.

I finally watched this and I felt really uncomfortable because he was disappearing all the work that people have been doing in terms of saving the ACA and net neutrality. People are making a difference.

• Love 7
(edited)

I LOVED the bit with the Trump/Scaramucci hand gestures set to music! I didn't know Scaramucci used to be a critic. What a scaramooch.

The Donald. The Mooch. The Recuser. The Denier.

The entire front half of the show was really fun.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

Ok, I was already liking Delta more than the other US airlines these days and now I love them more after the Coulter bruhaha.  I can't believe she bitched and moaned and WHINED because she got moved from an exit row aisle seat to an exit row window seat.  Waaaaa!  What a friggin cry-baby.  So glad Delta refunded her the whole $30.  

I'm really surprised HBO is doing this Confederacy show.  I know alt-history is a bit popular right now, but wow, just wow and no, just no.  Its hard enough watching movies about slavery, and how blacks were still treated after the war, but we need to remember what happened in order to hopefully keep it from happening again.  to have a show about how such things could become even more institutionalized is just unfathomable.

• Love 5

Anthony Scaramucci (will you do the fandango?) was REALLY against Drumph before he was REALLY for him. Which is no surprise given how some in his staff were REALLY like that as well (Kellyanne Conway, come on down!)

Looking at all the past "highlights" of Sean Spicer's six month tenure as WHPS, I can honestly say I'm going to miss Melissa McCarthy's SNL impersonation of this small, small man.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Delwyn said:

"The Tortoise and The Hair" 

ded. 

I know, right? I'd like to know if Trevor thought of that himself, if he outsourced for that, or he got it outside TDS. So beautiful. I still miss Jon busting out the Cecil Turtle voice, but that was a nice line.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I know, right? I'd like to know if Trevor thought of that himself, if he outsourced for that, or he got it outside TDS. So beautiful. I still miss Jon busting out the Cecil Turtle voice, but that was a nice line.

More likely Internet hive mind - it's been around on twitter for an eon (in Internet time at least.)

I feel like I have an okay handle on which is his own stuff based on his standup, especially after seeing him live a couple times. Puns aren't really his game. Sometimes you can really hear the other writers' voices come through and sometimes it feels like it came from him. They do a pretty good job of blending the two, though. 

• Love 1

"Think outside the bun" was the best slogan. 

I'm not surprised that Trump rambled on in front of the boy scouts. Does no one have the spine to tell him to knock it off?

• Love 2

It's too bad Rob Corddry (or Nate) is no longer with the show. Trevor's piece was pretty good, but as an Eagle Scout himself I would have loved to have seen him tearing into that speech, the contrast of everything this President and administration has done with the Scout Oath and Law and how horrifying this is for so many of us. It was disturbing enough on it's surface, but there is another layer that was largely missed by the late night shows (Colbert touched on it) and I think he would have knocked it out of the park.

• Love 4

No offense to Charlize Theron, but after listening to the two trans veterans, I wasn't interested in how she got bruised ribs. 

I mean, you're the first person to get a medal from France since WWII and you're forced into retirement. 

• Love 7

Does anyone else have to literally turn away every time they cut to a video clip of Trump speaking somewhere? I honestly cannot stomach even looking at him at this point.

Charlize Theron's new movie looks dumb.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Does anyone else have to literally turn away every time they cut to a video clip of Trump speaking somewhere? I honestly cannot stomach even looking at him at this point.

I gave you a "Like" for turning away from Trump -- ACK! -- but I think Theron's movie looks fun. Maybe dumb fun, but fun. I like 80's music, too.

• Love 3

Charlize looks hot AF. Just sayin'. I'll probably wait for the DVD, though.

Always fun to hear Trevor start a segment with "When a new story falls through the cracks . . . " It's basically "A cartoon by Robert Smigel" on SNL a decade ago for me. Lewis Black is always fun, especially describing a train without rails as a "hobo fuck palace." Still a bit annoyed that my provider (Spectrum) lists him on the TDS cast. Also: Jessica Williams. I bet Jordan will stay there even after he starts his own show.

• Love 3

Wow! Bohemian Rhapsody ("Scaramouche, Scaramouche ...") quickly became Another One Bites the Dust. I love how the WH works according to Queen ... ;-)

Whatever next? There are so many songs:

The Loser in the End

See What a Fool I've Been

Nevermore

Don't Stop Me Now

Under Pressure

I Want It All

I'm Going Slightly Mad

The Great Pretender

... and so much more to choose from!

Edited by TVcritic
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, TVcritic said:

Wow! Bohemian Rhapsody ("Scaramouche, Scaramouche ...") quickly became Another One Bites the Dust. I love how the WH works according to Queen ... ;-)

Whatever next? There are so many songs:

The Loser in the End

See What a Fool I've Been

Nevermore

Don't Stop Me Now

Under Pressure

I Want It All

I'm Going Slightly Mad

The Great Pretender

... and so much more to choose from!

The Fool On The Hill?

• Love 2
On Thu Jul 27 2017 at 0:57 PM, iMonrey said:

I put the tv on mute and read closed caption or fast forward.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Xantar said:

I laughed way too hard at Trevor doing an impression of Bannon going down on himself. That is all.

You are not alone. 

Also, I spent all week trying to purge the song Kalinka from my brain after Colbert's Russia week and now I have to start over again. I used to do a stage show with a tumbling act every seven days set to it and now it makes me a bit twitchy. Thanks, Trevor. 

• Love 1

I applaud AL Gore's efforts to address climate change. I'm behind wind and solar. But I'm sorry Al, if you're not talking about new nuclear and using it to reduce emissions in the industrial sector, then you aren't fully committed. If you're not saying the singular thing we can do right now is stop plants from closing, then you aren't serious. 

I'd concede that he's more talking about the developing world and I take his point, but nuclear still needs to be in the conversation overall. I would just lie to hear his opinion on it in general. 

Please keep the discussion in here to show discussion. That does not mean use the show discussion to jump into your own personal politics.

Posts have been removed; future infractions may result in warnings and/or suspensions being handed out to those who bring up personal politics as well as those who engage.

I enjoyed the piece by Hasan and thought it was funny that they re did the opening theme to the piece. I think the job placement program is great, though I have heard of it before, and I liked that the people living there knew there weren't going to get coal jobs back. However, I wanted Hasan to ask the guy who he voted for. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

However, I wanted Hasan to ask the guy who he voted for. 

That would have been great. Then again, maybe he did ask and they edited it out because the answer wasn't funny. If he voted for Clinton, it wouldn't be a dramatic moment to reveal.

I feel like writing to Hasan's dad and telling him to show some love so we don't have to keep hearing about Hasan's daddy issues. I mean, we finally get Ronny to stop flogging that material and now Hasan is doing it. I am starting to think Trevor's own daddy issues are under-pinning this narrative, because otherwise you'd think he'd notice it isn't funny and curb the repetition.

I love them all, I just don't want to hear any more of their dad doesn't validate me enough jokes.

• Love 3

I've found the recurrent daddy issues jokes tedious too, which is unfortunate because when Hasan stops trying to insert himself into the piece for a cheap laugh and just tells the important story about the Appalachian commission acknowledging that the coal jobs aren't coming back and actually trying to move that population forward, it's a pretty compelling bit of journalism.  That's the story, that despite how it's been portrayed in some media not everyone in these areas is sitting back passively waiting for the coal fairy to rescue them, that while the orange one loves to use these people for photo ops to play the poor forgotten American worker angle he also wants to cut off funding to the same people who are figuring out potential solutions.  I get that it's a longtime Daily Show schtick to insert a bit of absurdity even when the subject isn't going there, but it felt especially forced.

The interview with Joe Kennedy 3.0 was terrific.  It's so nice to see to see an intelligent thoughtful discussion about the real problems and possibles fixes with heath care after what feels like eons of nonsense and hyperbole coming out of Congress.  Joe might as well have announced his presidential bid while he was at it, if not for 2020 then 2024 because he was definitely going full Kennedyesque in talking about his larger vision for an inclusive America.

• Love 3

The funding cuts to ARC were part of that budget proposal that came out months ago. PBS was cut entirely, for example. I haven't seen any reason given except like above where the cuts are all going into defense spending. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I've found the recurrent daddy issues jokes tedious too, which is unfortunate because when Hasan stops trying to insert himself into the piece for a cheap laugh and just tells the important story about the Appalachian commission acknowledging that the coal jobs aren't coming back and actually trying to move that population forward, it's a pretty compelling bit of journalism.  That's the story, that despite how it's been portrayed in some media not everyone in these areas is sitting back passively waiting for the coal fairy to rescue them, that while the orange one loves to use these people for photo ops to play the poor forgotten American worker angle he also wants to cut off funding to the same people who are figuring out potential solutions.

I'm all for absurdity in some situations, but the daddy stuff is hackneyed schtick. And I do think this story didn't need the extra levity. The opening with "not the only one" was more than enough.

I don't know why, but Joe Kennedy III does nothing for me. Several people I know thinks he's the next greatest thing and are ready to elect him to whatever office he wants, and I have no specific complaints against him. But I find a dozen other politicians way more interesting and compelling. I don't even see the charm he supposedly has. I wish I did.

• Love 1

I tried looking up the URL on the iPad, but I got nothing. When I got back to Safari the next day, it started on the TDS page, like I had expected. Did anybody call the number? I'm also at 718, but I didn't try.

• Love 1

The full interview with Charlize Theron is worth watching. They talk a lot.  Not much more about the movie, but about a lot of different things, especially South Africa. I keep seeing people saying I want to know more about Africa/South Africa. If you feel like this, it's  your chance to watch two South Africans talk about things. They do talk about the movie and whatnot, but I really enjoyed the full interview. 

Edited by Temperance
grammar
  • Love 1

It's kind of surreal watching them dissect last night's speech, knowing that at the time the show was filmed, they had no idea the lunacy and lies on tap in tonight's speech, which they'll have to cover tomorrow.

It's nice seeing Sen. Klobuchar on here, even in a short interview; was she a last-minute substitute?

• Love 2

I liked the segment after with Desi and Ronnie because it underscored the fruitlessness of this 'war'. There's no 'win' here.  I didn't fund Trump copying Obama's words as much as the USA has been locked into this for so long that there's nothing else they could do. It was a really good point on Trevor's part to say, just accept that USA forces will be there in perpetuity. Even the secretary of state said that this will probably end up with peace talks with the Taliban. 

The cut of the show I have was a long interview with the Senator. I've been preaching the "you have to meet people where they are" concept for years, so kudos to her. What's with the MN senators being so reasonable and actually passing legislation with so many other people? I have to push back on her a little though. There's not really a clear democratic agenda to run on in 2018. She didn't really answer the question as to whether pro-life politicians can run as democrats either. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

She didn't really answer the question as to whether pro-life politicians can run as democrats either. 

I noticed that and was disappointed. Al Franken has said that he learned he can't straightforwardly answer questions. He did that in his first run and lost. You have to spin things a bit to stay on track with what your issues and concerns are.

I know it was an easy joke, but I loved when Trevor mocked Trump for clarifying that sitting behind the desk in the Oval Office means you're President of the United States. I laughed a lot. I friggin' hate when Trump does that, which is often -- He explains or defines things that don't require it, unless you're someone who just learned it and thinks this is arcane knowledge.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm thinking he was being sarcastic.

Maybe. But it's possible that he was genuinely interested in the eclipse. As in "Yay, I don't have to cover that embarrassing lunatic for awhile the way others in the building are slobberly doing - Sean Hannity, you pathetic tool, I"M LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU!!!!!"

I like Shep, but Walter Cronkite '69 he wasn't.

• Love 4