Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

I thought Kosta was okay for a first appearance, but a boner joke, really? (And another white male, really?)

I watch online with no commercials, so the show went immediately from an erection joke to the interview with David Brown about criminality and policing in America. Even so, it was an interesting discussion with someone whose varied experience has given him a unique perspective.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

When Trevor joked about the emails being so obvious, I nodded my head. When I first read them, I thought it might be a setup because everything is spelled out, like a villain in a movie expositioning his evilness and plans:

The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

I kept waiting for Trump or his minions to jump up and say, "GOTCHA! See how stupid the fake media is for falling for our made-up emails! It's all fake! A big joke! Sad!" But maybe Goldstone is just an idiot.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't think anyone could be worse than Jordan. I was wrong. Kosta is so UNFUNNY and I want him gone. The time he wasted  could have been put to better use by a piece by Michelle or Hasan.

On the more positive side, I'm loving Trevor's opening pieces and howled over his Russian accent when saying the collusion was "diversity, bro.  Come on."

?????????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

Trevor has been on fire the last couple of day in his sheer incredulousness that Jr.'s email fiasco couldn't be this obvious and dumb or that most of the players seem like they came out of central casting if someone did a generic search for almost cartoonish bad guys.  His pointing out that Goldstone actually checked into Facebook for the meeting had me howling.  The montage of the Fox crew twisting themselves into absolute knots trying to convince themselves and the audience that no really, this is anything but what it looks like was worthy of the Jon Stewart era at his best, if less shouty.

I'll agree Kosta's first outing was rough.  He obviously knows he's there to fill the Klepper white guy slot and he seemed to be channeling that for everything it was worth without Klepper's better delivery.  I could see what Neal Brennan was going for his bit about how the Democrats should sit back and do nothing and let the Republicans step on their own dicks at every turn, because he's right that they are doing a bang up job of it, but something about it wasn't landing for me. Suggesting inaction, even in obvious jest, is kind of how we got here and ignores that depending on where all the Russia election hacking mess goes, that there's still always another election coming.

• Love 2

Trevor does the best whiny Trump voice. Kills me every time.

As for Neal Brennan, he comes off like a smarmy asshole and I find him repellant, but he's reasonably intelligent and funny and he amuses me. It's a weird dichotomy. 

• Love 3

Sean Hannity really is dumb as fuck to suggest Democrats arranged the meeting between the Russian attorney and Trump Jr. as some sort of a set-up. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean, the sender of the e-mail is right there in the "from" line {headsmack}.  How perfectly accurate, calling Fox News a "news-adjacent smoke machine." How does Hannity say shit like this with a straight face, how does he get away with it and keep his job? It boggles the mind.

(And another white male, really?)

Another? Should there be no white male correspondents on the show? Sadly, the perception that The Daily Show has become "a black show" is why it has become so marginalized since Stewart's departure. It didn't even get nominated for an Emmy, nor did Trevor. It has really just dropped off everyone's radar, and that's too bad. Jon Stewart was a constant thorn in the side of Fox News, whereas I'm pretty sure nobody at Fox News gives a shit what Trevor Noah says about them. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

How does Hannity say shit like this with a straight face, how does he get away with it and keep his job? It boggles the mind.

That is his job though, right? "Deceive Inveigle Obfuscate". He doesn't get away with it so much as the network is tasking and expecting him to come up with the material. I mean, this is a guy who went on a rant about Obama using dijon mustard on his burger. It's not like he's had a shred of credibility in terms of actual news reporting. 

Two things they played on the show that I'm not seeing anyone catch. Yes, you don't have control over who emails you, but no, I don't think plenty of people would have done the same thing (set up the meeting). Maybe some would. "Well everyone does it anyway," isn't an argument. You did it. You had a meeting with the express purpose of using foreign intelligence against a political opponent. The fact that it didn't pan out is irrelevant. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I could see what Neal Brennan was going for his bit about how the Democrats should sit back and do nothing and let the Republicans step on their own dicks at every turn, because he's right that they are doing a bang up job of it, but something about it wasn't landing for me. Suggesting inaction, even in obvious jest, is kind of how we got here and ignores that depending on where all the Russia election hacking mess goes, that there's still always another election coming.

I take his point, but he's just not correct. Democrats should be campaigning for 2018 now and they should be working on getting all those people who stayed home on election day into the voting booth. "Look, they control all three branches of government, and they can't get anything done. When they do propose something, it's disastrous for you. Yes, the ACA has problems. We'll fix it. We'll even ask the gop for their input so everyone has a say."

They have to be the adults in the room and not run on sticking to Trump or just propose that "we're not them."

• Love 9

I wasn't a fan of Kosta, but then again, I never liked Jordan either. I think these special correspondents have been more misses than hits. They should just stick with 3 or 4 - Hasan, Michelle, the Jewish guy (Sorry, I can't remember his name) and maybe Ronnie or Roy. 

• Love 1

I guess Trevor never watched the first Austin Powers movie. You have to ask the bad guy the same question three times before he gives an honest answer.

Nice bit with Desi and the translators, though maybe their lives would be easier if their bosses put in subtitles.

• Love 5

The piece with the translators is what I think the show excels at. I wouldn't have thought much about it, but there's plenty of words that don't have translations, so what are they supposed to do? Spout vulgarities? The I don't know if the Spanish translator was doing a bit, but the "Who is paying for the wall? "Not Mexico!" was funny. Also calling the sign language translator a 'beautiful mime'. 

The interview was really good too. The representative (ha) was right: bring people to your home, meet your friends and family and see how we're all basically the same. Trump is too much of coward to ever do that though. 

I liked her talking about the 4 year vetting process. What exactly needs to be fixed? 

• Love 5

I loved when Trevor pointed out that in the photo of Trump talking to Pat Robertson, it looked like Trump talking to himself in a hundred years. I don't know why that tickled me so much.

Why does Trump always ALWAYS sit forward? I don't know if it's just a conscious power position or if he has a medical condition. Or maybe he's trying to hide his gut.

I liked the bit with the translators. One thing though -- I've never heard of meat curtains. I understand the meaning, but is that a real expression or just something whatshername made up?

• Love 2

It's hard for me to take seriously the idea that Japanese has no slang term for female genitalia, analogous to pussy. And yes, there are ethics for interpreters, and you ARE supposed to spout profanity if that's what the person you're translating did. You are absolutely not supposed to edit content or modify tone. Still, it was a fun report. Jim Jeffries (whose show I am LOVING!!!) did a similar interview segment with conspiracy theorists.

I really appreciate that TDS is finding its voice and it doesn't just sound and feel like every other show mocking the current state of affairs. I am also liking the mix of guests and that I never know what to expect from the interview segment. It's unpredictable whether they will even talk about whatever the guest is supposed to be promoting. I can see the same guest on other shows and when they get to TDS they don't just say the same stuff they said everywhere else.

Also... is Trevor growing out his mustache, or did I imagine that?

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ganesh said:

No, it's real. I lost it when Desi held up the taco and the Japanese lady was like, "oh taco! We say taco!"

I thought it was funny that there was some prop guy on the show that had to build those meat curtains, complete with shower curtain rings.

• Love 3
On 7/12/2017 at 1:32 PM, 2727 said:

I thought Kosta was okay for a first appearance, but a boner joke, really? (And another white male, really?)

Quoting myself because that was uncalled for. I think Jordan is quite bland and prefer, on this show, correspondents who are sharp and even a bit caustic in their comedy. But some of my favorite correspondents from the past are white males and my objection was more about what I saw as Jordan's milquetoast qualities being repeated in Kosta. But I should give the guy a chance.

• Love 2

I always though Jordan did a good job with the "in the field" pieces with all the ultraconservatives, and his piece on the "good guys with guns" is one of the best the show has ever done. 

• Love 6
On 14/07/2017 at 3:00 AM, iMonrey said:

Sadly, the perception that The Daily Show has become "a black show" is why it has become so marginalized since Stewart's departure. It didn't even get nominated for an Emmy, nor did Trevor. It has really just dropped off everyone's radar

Is this true? Do people now think of it as a 'black' show and therefore it is marginalised? Has it in fact dropped off everyone's radar? If so, I'm really sorry, because I have come to love Trevor. He's a doing a great job bringing a fresh perspective to US current affairs, and with every show I appreciate his intelligence and comic timing more. In particular, his accent work has become something I really look forward to - I'm hopeless at accents, and I'm always impressed by people who can do them well.

• Love 18
On 7/16/2017 at 0:11 AM, ganesh said:

I always though Jordan did a good job with the "in the field" pieces with all the ultraconservatives, and his piece on the "good guys with guns" is one of the best the show has ever done. 

While I did reach a saturation point for awhile there with Jordan's Trumpsters in the mist field pieces because there is a point where so much stupidity is just depressing rather than funny, I've really liked his ongoing pieces about gun access too.  The original good guys with guns segment was serious journalism quality reporting, which I've always given the show credit for pulling off on occasion no matter how much it may insist it's just a comedy show.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn there is some perception out there that TDS is a "black show" with Trevor being the only host of color in all of late night right now, just as it doesn't surprise me that the show might be perceived as less high profile than it was under Jon.  The late night field is a lot more crowded now than it was even a few years ago, so there's a lot more competition including alum Colbert.  There's also the issue that Jon was constantly fighting with and provoking Bullshit Mountain over at Fox and they continually took his bait, which then made more press.  That went on for years.  I remember episodes in the last year or two of Jon's tenure that it was hard to feel engaged too much because you got the sense they hadn't really prepared much that day except to splice together whatever idiocy was being spewed on Fox.  Trevor has been much less confrontational, probably as much because that's who he is as much as an acknowledgment that he came to the job a relative unknown who could more easily be dismissed as who's this guy talking shit about us.  Now nearly two years into the job though, his piece this past week on Fox spinning and spinning and spinning itself into the ground trying to paint Junior's double sekrit meeting with the Russians that apparently everybody and their dog attended as nothing to see here, folks, was as sharp and biting as anything Jon ever produced.  And he's winning the coveted millennials and 18-49 demographic, so there's that.

• Love 13

Anyone who followed Stewart was going to have a hard time being considered just as good. The TDS alums who have their own shows have completely changed format and style, so as to avoid the comparison. Inheriting TDS put Trevor in a tough position because, first of all he was very new-- not a veteran show "correspondent" with a built in rabid fanbase, and secondly, if he tried to imitate Jon he'd be considered a hack with nothing of his own to offer, and if he totally tossed the format and completely re-jiggered the show, he'd be criticized for arrogantly disrespecting the legacy.

Colbert, who did have a massive fanbase, stumbled a lot in his transition, and took a while to settle into his new gig. I think Trevor has gotten up to speed relatively quickly and the show feels fresher to me now than it has in years.

There may be people who dismiss it for racist reasons, but I would dismiss them as people who are missing out, and I hope they aren't numerous enough to kill the show.

• Love 13
On 7/12/2017 at 1:32 PM, 2727 said:

I watch online with no commercials, so the show went immediately from an erection joke to the interview with David Brown about criminality and policing in America. Even so, it was an interesting discussion with someone whose varied experience has given him a unique perspective.

Gotta replace Jordan who I believe is the only white male regular (not counting the part timers). I'll like to see Wilmore be a part timer but I'm not sure how good a relationship he has with CC right now.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:07 AM, DXD526 said:

Trevor does the best whiny Trump voice. Kills me every time.

As for Neal Brennan, he comes off like a smarmy asshole and I find him repellant, but he's reasonably intelligent and funny and he amuses me. It's a weird dichotomy. 

He plays smarmy asshole really well. And the fact he has the intelligence and comedic timing to make it a living makes it ever better.

On 7/16/2017 at 11:15 AM, nodorothyparker said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn there is some perception out there that TDS is a "black show" with Trevor being the only host of color in all of late night right now, just as it doesn't surprise me that the show might be perceived as less high profile than it was under Jon.

I didn't start watching TDS until a few years ago, so I missed the early years of Jon.  Perhaps he had more difficulty in booking "high profile" interviews then.  I do know that while I didn't always know the interviewees during Jon's later years, I did know probably half, or a bit more.  But these days with Trevor, I feel like I recognize much less, maybe 1/4 of the interviewees at most.  I do wonder if that has contributed to turning off some viewers.  I do learn a good amount from Trevor's interviews, so to me they end up being worthwhile.  But I don't always watch them in their entirety, but that's the case even with Colbert and Myers.

(edited)

Daily Show article in The Wrap from this May: 

“The Daily Show With Trevor Noah” just landed its most-watched week ever in Nielsen’s Live + Same Day TV Ratings, with an average of 1.045 million total viewers. Yes, that’s even more than he got in his premiere week.

They recently closed the quarter up 36 percent year over year in total viewers, and was 18 percent higher than 2016’s comparable quarter among adults 18-49."

Interview with Trevor about ratings: "I see my show as: a space where you come to feel like the world is not ending and you’re not alone and crazy in seeing all the madness around you."

Edited by 2727
  • Love 12
On 7/16/2017 at 6:15 PM, possibilities said:

Anyone who followed Stewart was going to have a hard time being considered just as good. The TDS alums who have their own shows have completely changed format and style, so as to avoid the comparison. Inheriting TDS put Trevor in a tough position because, first of all he was very new-- not a veteran show "correspondent" with a built in rabid fanbase, and secondly, if he tried to imitate Jon he'd be considered a hack with nothing of his own to offer, and if he totally tossed the format and completely re-jiggered the show, he'd be criticized for arrogantly disrespecting the legacy.

Colbert, who did have a massive fanbase, stumbled a lot in his transition, and took a while to settle into his new gig. I think Trevor has gotten up to speed relatively quickly and the show feels fresher to me now than it has in years.

There may be people who dismiss it for racist reasons, but I would dismiss them as people who are missing out, and I hope they aren't numerous enough to kill the show.

I think the show is ignored or dismissed for a few reasons. One is the difficulty of following Jon Stewart like you said. Anyone who followed him was going to suffer in comparison and any turnover in late night hosts always leads to viewers changing their habits as well. Another big factor is that there is just so much more good stuff out there, much of it from Daily Show alumni. In Jon's early years there was him, Weekend Update and Bill Maher as far as high profile topical comedy on television. It's harder to break out when there's Stephen and Seth on network every day and John Oliver and Samantha Bee weekly. Plus SNL doing it's best political material in years. Also these days awards, critical buzz and even general reputation are driven by the internet and I think Comedy Central's online strategy trying to drive traffic to their own site and not putting as much on YouTube as other networks hurts them as far as getting attention for their good work.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I think the show is ignored or dismissed for a few reasons. One is the difficulty of following Jon Stewart like you said. Anyone who followed him was going to suffer in comparison and any turnover in late night hosts always leads to viewers changing their habits as well. Another big factor is that there is just so much more good stuff out there, much of it from Daily Show alumni. In Jon's early years there was him, Weekend Update and Bill Maher as far as high profile topical comedy on television. It's harder to break out when there's Stephen and Seth on network every day and John Oliver and Samantha Bee weekly. Plus SNL doing it's best political material in years. Also these days awards, critical buzz and even general reputation are driven by the internet and I think Comedy Central's online strategy trying to drive traffic to their own site and not putting as much on YouTube as other networks hurts them as far as getting attention for their good work.

Bull I agree with most of this, except these days, if you have FaceBook, in addition to Comedy Central, there are a whole bunch of blog sites that upload Trevor's funniest pieces, the correspondent pieces by Hasan, Roy, Michelle...and something new--the unaired "in between scenes" which is Trevor talking to his audience about the show they're taping and the pieces he's doing and his own experience. So I don't think that he's not doing as well. I'm loving the hell out of him. Do I miss Jon? Yes, I do. While Trevor is doing an amazing job, I also find myself wondering what Jon's take would be and want him to show up here or on any of his "children's" shows.

• Love 2

"Tigger, please" was low-hanging fruit, but it made me laugh.

My mind somehow saw "Regina Hall" (with whom I'm not familiar) on the program guide and translated it to "Regina King" (whose work I know pretty well), so I was momentarily confused when Hall walked out.

• Love 7

The change in interviewees is an interesting point.

With some of the other late night shows I only tune in if they have a guest I'm interested in, but with TDS I tune in every night for the commentary without regard to who the guest is.

The interviews during Jon's era were actually my least favorite part of the show and I often felt like they were a disappointment or a waste of time. He did some great ones, but it was very hit or miss, more miss than hit, often downright boring to me, and I never tuned in for the interview on its own.

By contrast, I really enjoy Trevor's interviews. They aren't all great but they're rarely a total bore for me, and even when I have never heard of the interviewee before, they almost always turn out to be someone with something very interesting to say who I'm glad the show exposed me to. And I no longer ever think the show has ground to a halt and become a let down once the interview starts.

It hadn't occurred to me that people might tune in based on who the guest is, but I watch other shows that way, so it makes a lot of sense that some people watch TDS that way, as well.

I'm glad the ratings have been growing, but I think those numbers are still a lot less than what Jon was getting.

I also think it's a very good point that there is a lot more competition now, for shows with this kind of content. And there has been a lot of momentum in political podcasts, too.

• Love 7

I get the point about Coulter. She's an awful person who acted typically as she does, and I liked the clips showing how full of it she is. Why did she bother moving in the first place? Unless it's a family with little kids I don't move. I'm always traveling alone so I get asked to move a lot. I always have a short connection. I select my seat well in advance that close to the front so I can get off the plane quickly. 

Coulter of course had to make it about her and Delta just totally shut her down on Twitter though. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/17/2017 at 9:55 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Bull I agree with most of this, except these days, if you have FaceBook, in addition to Comedy Central, there are a whole bunch of blog sites that upload Trevor's funniest pieces, the correspondent pieces by Hasan, Roy, Michelle...and something new--the unaired "in between scenes" which is Trevor talking to his audience about the show they're taping and the pieces he's doing and his own experience. So I don't think that he's not doing as well. I'm loving the hell out of him. Do I miss Jon? Yes, I do. While Trevor is doing an amazing job, I also find myself wondering what Jon's take would be and want him to show up here or on any of his "children's" shows.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find. It's more that often some of those great pieces like Michelle's bits get shared and get exposure, but don't show up on some of the most popular sites trending lists or get embedded as much because they aren't on the show's YouTube channel. I see the other shows on those lists a lot more and I don't think their stuff is always that much better or shorter or whatever. I freely admit that this is speculative and perhaps there is some other reason for this, but I suspect that if Carpool Karaoke wasn't on YouTube and you had to go to FB or Twitter or the blog sites that James Corden wouldn't be getting nominations or attention.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:00 AM, possibilities said:

The change in interviewees is an interesting point.

With some of the other late night shows I only tune in if they have a guest I'm interested in, but with TDS I tune in every night for the commentary without regard to who the guest is.

The interviews during Jon's era were actually my least favorite part of the show and I often felt like they were a disappointment or a waste of time. He did some great ones, but it was very hit or miss, more miss than hit, often downright boring to me, and I never tuned in for the interview on its own.

By contrast, I really enjoy Trevor's interviews. They aren't all great but they're rarely a total bore for me, and even when I have never heard of the interviewee before, they almost always turn out to be someone with something very interesting to say who I'm glad the show exposed me to. And I no longer ever think the show has ground to a halt and become a let down once the interview starts.

It hadn't occurred to me that people might tune in based on who the guest is, but I watch other shows that way, so it makes a lot of sense that some people watch TDS that way, as well.

I'm glad the ratings have been growing, but I think those numbers are still a lot less than what Jon was getting.

I also think it's a very good point that there is a lot more competition now, for shows with this kind of content. And there has been a lot of momentum in political podcasts, too.

I've never watched for the interviews either. I agree that Trevor is a better natural interviewer. I think any issues with guests are the same as with the show in general. Much more competition, and the comparison with both Jon and our unreliable memories of him. Jon came in having done talk shows so he had connections. Plus he had given some big names exposure early in their careers so it gave him a leg up in booking. And then once the ratings took off and he was the critical darling of late night TV getting big names became pretty easy. And we forget how many duds there were and just remember Bruce Springsteen and "Roll 212!".

Edited by wknt3
kant spel to gud
  • Love 2

Maybe from a ratings perspective it's a problem, but for me, I consider the fact that TDS books far fewer "big name" interviewees and lots more "who?" interviewees to be one of the best things that has happened to TDS since Jon's departure.  I worship the ground Jon walks on, but I remember the days when out of a month of consecutive interviews one, MAYBE two of those, would be someone other than a white dude.  And I like white dudes just fine, and I would laugh my butt off at Jon riffing with Ricky Gervais or Denis Leary, and lord knows some of his interviews of white dudes were epic.  But I really look forward  Trevor's interviews with people I've never heard of.  Some of his interviews have more laughs than others, but I am rarely bored by his guests, or tired of seeing him interview the same person that's been interviewed on 8 other shows in the past two weeks.   I am thrilled that there is a late night show that is providing a platform for people don't already have a widely heard voice.  

• Love 13

It's always about buzz and attention (and arm twisting) when it comes to these nominations. Perhaps that's why Corden and Bill Maher seem to get Emmy votes while Trevor and Seth Meyers do not, despite the latter two having the better shows than the former two.

Was that picture of Winnie the Poo and Tigger drawn before that photo of Xi and Obama was taken? Because if it was, pretty epic coincidence! Also lol'ed hard at Trevor saying "Tigger please!"

There was comedy gold to be mined from Ann Coulter's whinny snowflake crybaby behavior on her Delta flight. But Roy hit well below his average with his self entitled flight passenger performance. It took away from the glorious hypocrisy Coulter displayed with her twitter rant of white First World problems. BTW, can we stop with the idea that Coulter's right wing attitude is all an act?

• Love 2

While it's true that Trevor interviews people I have/had no knowledge of, there are a good number who do appear on his show, who also show up on Real Time, Late Night with Colbert, Seth Meyers, because they have a book out, or movie. I tend to not watch the interviews on any of the shows. My favorite parts of this show is Trevor's opening, pieces he does at the desk, and Michelle and Hasan. The others are very hit and miss for me. 

As for the SheBeast, she originally reserved a window seat which was confirmed, then changed to an aisle seat, and she's bitching because when Delta moved her, it wasn't to another aisle seat? Yeah, yeah, so know her ❄️ ? ass is bitching over her changed seat being "taken away" and how she spent "over $10K" to reserve it!??Chris Evans had the PERFECT response and Shade!!!????

• Love 2

I don't care about big name interviews all that much either.  I'm generally going to skip some actor plugging their latest movie unless it's someone I particularly like or a movie I just really want to see.  I won't lie and say I always watch the interviews because there's always a lot of variables for me that go into it, but some of the best ones have been with people I either didn't know or simply wouldn't have thought of.  The eclectic mix we've seen in a lot of ways reminds me a lot of the best days of The Colbert Report, where one night it might be someone famous and the next night a scientist or author of a scholarly work where there really was a lot being said that you knew you'd never see on a network show.

"Tigger, please" had me rolling.

• Love 6

I worship the ground Jon walks on, but I remember the days when out of a month of consecutive interviews one, MAYBE two of those, would be someone other than a white dude. 

Whereas Trevor's interview guests have averaged about 75% people of color. There's a reason why Larry Wilmore's show didn't make it, and it's because the network thought it was too audience-specific, and there weren't enough viewers for it. That's why I worry about Trevor's show. Too many people tuning in and thinking it's just a show for black folks now.

I want awards given to the editors who pulled together all those clips of Ann Coulter complaining about people being whiny babies. She hasn't backed down from this idiocy, either. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

"Tigger, please" was low-hanging fruit, but it made me laugh.

Yes! And when I heard that (or when I hear the "similar" sounding phrase) I always think of that scene from The People Vs OJ where during the trial Johnny Cochrane/Courtney B. Vance said to Christopher Darden/Sterling K. Brown, so only he could hear, "N-----, please." 

My mind somehow saw "Regina Hall" (with whom I'm not familiar) on the program guide and translated it to "Regina King" (whose work I know pretty well), so I was momentarily confused when Hall walked out.

Yes! I'm always getting them mixed up. I have also mixed up Regina King with Regina Taylor, and Regina Taylor with Lili Taylor.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As for the SheBeast, she originally reserved a window seat which was confirmed, then changed to an aisle seat, and she's bitching because when Delta moved her, it wasn't to another aisle seat? Yeah, yeah, so know her ❄️ ? ass is bitching over her changed seat being "taken away" and how she spent "over $10K" to reserve it!??Chris Evans had the PERFECT response and Shade!!!????

I thought that she bought an extra seat so no one could sit next to her. I'm confused.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Whereas Trevor's interview guests have averaged about 75% people of color. There's a reason why Larry Wilmore's show didn't make it, and it's because the network thought it was too audience-specific, and there weren't enough viewers for it. That's why I worry about Trevor's show. Too many people tuning in and thinking it's just a show for black folks now.

I agree with you, or at  least I think it's a distinct possibility, that TDS is now perceived by many as a "black show" and I know that ratings matter to the advertisers paying the bills keeping shows on the air.  But of course, by the same logic, up until Trevor and Sam B and (briefly) Larry W, all of late night TV was for straight white men, and all of network late night TV remains just shows for straight white men.  Sad.

• Love 4

Loved when Trevor did "All the Senate ladies! (All the Senate ladies!) All the Senate ladies!…"

Re the lawyer who said that the Secret Service would have prevented an illegal meeting, I read that at the time they weren't assigned to Don Jr, so that implied that Trump was present. Of course the lawyer probably didn't even know when the Secret Service was assigned to which people.

The actor who played the Russian was familiar. I don't know his name -- Hey it's that guy! -- but he's been everywhere.

• Love 3

That's correct. Junior didn't have secret service assigned to him. I don't think they were implying Trump was there though. It's irrelevant. As Trevor pointed out, that's not their job. 

Is really sad and kind of pathetic when Trump says "many people would have taken the meeting." I think he actually believes that as opposed to making an excuse. He's just so decrepit, and things everyone is like that. Not only did Gore not do it, but I think there was an issue where Romney also turned over materials in a similar way. 

• Love 2

It's even more pathetic that that Fox News lady (who is she again?) said she'd be in a hand cart to hell taking that meeting; the "conservative" pundits are usually all about catering to the religious right.

• Love 2

It's even more pathetic that that Fox News lady (who is she again?) said she'd be in a hand cart to hell taking that meeting; the "conservative" pundits are usually all about catering to the religious right.

It just shows where their principles are or where they are not.

It's juvenile but I thought it was funny after Trevor Noah mimed being  splatted he wiped his face. Seriously? Blaming the Secret Service is a weak defense.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Hooper said:

I agree with you, or at  least I think it's a distinct possibility, that TDS is now perceived by many as a "black show" and I know that ratings matter to the advertisers paying the bills keeping shows on the air.  But of course, by the same logic, up until Trevor and Sam B and (briefly) Larry W, all of late night TV was for straight white men, and all of network late night TV remains just shows for straight white men.  Sad.

Late night TV is a very conservative (lower case c) place. Viewers take a long time to come around to anything even slightly different and executives are quick to cancel and go back to the Carson model. Even if you're a straight white man if you are doing anything slightly different from the formula you better have a lot of support from someone with juice and nobody waiting in the wings. The audience always seems to reject anyone new if they are replacing anyone they know (just look at Colbert) and if you are a woman or minority it does probably take longer. Sad, but true.

(edited)

Re: the interviews and the show in general there are some people have a view of Jon that most of his interviews had political heavy hitters who he "eviscerated" or intellectuals like Doris Kearns Goodwin whose books he read (at least some of it) and was able to hold his own. (Not saying this is true or untrue, but I think it's a real perception.) So Trevor came in and at first wanted to make the show more light-hearted and less political, but he got serious blow-back from that. Now he tries to get people who are considered more "serious" guests. He also seems to host people who working to ameliorate the country during this administration. 

I'm not too worried about this show.  It's sad @Midnight is leaving.  The field for the Emmies is big. (I think Seth Myers will get more recognition next year.) 

Edited by Temperance

Speaking of guests, what was with 50 Cents' outfit? That thing was tight everywhere that I was afraid a seam might be out. I know he gained a bit of weight, but still don't wear anything two sizes too small. It just makes you look foolish...

On 7/16/2017 at 10:09 AM, purist said:

Is this true? Do people now think of it as a 'black' show and therefore it is marginalised? Has it in fact dropped off everyone's radar? If so, I'm really sorry, because I have come to love Trevor. He's a doing a great job bringing a fresh perspective to US current affairs, and with every show I appreciate his intelligence and comic timing more. In particular, his accent work has become something I really look forward to - I'm hopeless at accents, and I'm always impressed by people who can do them well.

I absolutely love his accents and think he, by far, does the best Drumpf one out there. There was a recent piece in which he was doing two different accents in a dialogue and it was amazing. I wonder if it's in part due to his multi-linguality (if that were a word). Just read his book and seems like even as a kid he spoke something crazy like five different languages. (Trevor's book is a great read! I found the sad parts involving pets to be disturbing, but there's a story that involves, well, pooping, and I swear I had to put it down for a minute because I was clutching my stomach, laughing hysterically.)

• Love 6

It's probably why I enjoy and identify with her, but Issa Rae really is so awkward. I almost didn't make it through that interview.

I've not seen the show identified as a "black" show. I know it was being rebroadcast on BET for a while, but that kind of made me think it wasn't doing well (or better) with black audiences. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

Roy Wood Jr's look of joy when they showed the news report on that Confederacy show made me laugh far more than it should have.

Right? Roy's become so easy and comfortable in his role now and is my favorite correspondent. I'm glad the show did a bit on Confederacy, too, because that announcement made my head snap.

• Love 1