Type keyword(s) to search

Previews and Spoilers: Crazy Speculation

Can't believe we went a whole season without a spoiler thread...

Description of the Season 2 premiere is out:

"Where is Josh's Friend"

SEASON PREMIERE - Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) is convinced Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) is in love with her, while Greg (Santino Fontana) is nowhere to be found. Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin) is coming to terms with what drove her obsession with Rebecca's love life, while Darryl (Pete Gardner) and White Josh (guest star David Hull) try to navigate their new relationship. Vella Lovell and Gabrielle Ruiz also star.

Aline Brosh McKenna, Rachel Bloom and Marc Webb wrote the episode, directed by Marc Webb (#201).
Original airdate 10/21/2016.

I wonder if they are still going to have "Josh" in all the episode titles? I hope they change it up.

Edited by Trini

From EW:

Any news on season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? Any chance Rebecca will come to her senses and choose Greg over Josh? — Rachel

I can’t give away which man will play a bigger role in Rebecca’s life in season 2, but let’s just say the love triangle is still very much alive — there’s even a song about it in episode 3 — and both men are definitely still in the running. That being said, it might not be the same Greg you remember from season 1.

Season 2, episode 2 description:

"When Will Josh See How Cool I am?"

NEW DIRECTIONS - Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) desperately wants Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) to think she's cool so she tries to impress him with her sporty skills. Meanwhile, Greg (Santino Fontana) is navigating his way through his new path, and is sorely tested by someone close to him. Pete Gardner, Donna Lynne Champlin, Vella Lovell and Gabrielle Ruiz also star.

Rene Gube wrote the episode, directed by Jay Chandrasekhar (#202). Original airdate 10/28/2016.

Those are jokes, right?  I don't think any of her other titles, that I recall, were takeoffs of other titles just with Josh and Rebecca in them instead.  And ep 5 and 6 don't even have Josh in the title.  That's blasphemy!

• Love 1
(edited)

I was rewatching some of Season 1, specifically when Trent blackmailed Rebecca. I seriously would not be surprised if she ended up with that guy. They have similar backgrounds. He's surprisingly good in bed (considering she took his virginity). He likes taking care of her in a way she hasn't been taken care of in her life. He's completely on some sort of spectrum, and doesn't quite get how it works socially, but he knows he doesn't get it. He also got through Harvard and started his own company and is obviously rich - made himself rich - so he's at least as functional as she is. What he did to get close to Rebecca isn't that much wilder, more dangerous or more inappropriate than what Rebecca did to get close to Josh.

I don't see Rebecca's super-animated, wild, exuberant side as a symptom of her underlying issues. I think that energy, that intensity and unconventionality, and even her (somewhat) overly porous boundaries are part of her. Anyway, I could see this.

Edited by DianeDobbler
On 3/5/2017 at 11:03 AM, DianeDobbler said:

I was rewatching some of Season 1, specifically when Trent blackmailed Rebecca. I seriously would not be surprised if she ended up with that guy. They have similar backgrounds. He's surprisingly good in bed (considering she took his virginity). He likes taking care of her in a way she hasn't been taken care of in her life. He's completely on some sort of spectrum, and doesn't quite get how it works socially, but he knows he doesn't get it. He also got through Harvard and started his own company and is obviously rich - made himself rich - so he's at least as functional as she is. What he did to get close to Rebecca isn't that much wilder, more dangerous or more inappropriate than what Rebecca did to get close to Josh.

I don't see Rebecca's super-animated, wild, exuberant side as a symptom of her underlying issues. I think that energy, that intensity and unconventionality, and even her (somewhat) overly porous boundaries are part of her. Anyway, I could see this.

Ha! I was just coming here to post this. I'm rewatching season 2 and I'm calling it now. Trent is end game. 

If you picture every. single. thing that Trent has done... Rebecca has done it too. I mean, "Ping Pong girl" was essentially her doing the "surf bro infiltration" thing that Trent tried to pull. She's stalked people and broken into their phones and computers... Trent is the male version of Rebecca. 

• Love 1

First official photo of the new season(?): https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/sneak-peek-designated-survivor-crazy-ex-girlfriend-superstore/#7

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Season Premiere: Friday, Oct. 13, 8/7c, The CW

Yes, it’s possible—Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom) is getting even nuttier. When the musical comedy’s third season begins, Rebecca declares war on her former fiancé, Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III), for ditching her at the chuppah. (Her first move is picking up “revenge gear” at the drugstore while wearing a robe and slippers.) Luckily for Josh—and any local rabbits—Rebecca can’t bear to go full-on Fatal Attraction. “She’s steeling herself to be the vengeful villain she thinks the situation calls for,” executive producer Aline Brosh McKenna says, “but her natural goodness, her friends and some good old-fashioned Jewish guilt hold her back.”

From TV Guide's Fall Preview:

The Scoop: Rebecca may be a scorned woman channeling her inner Swimfan, but soon she will be a scorned woman who also has an official diagnosis. That's right, in its third season Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will officially diagnose its heroine. "We went through the steps [with the therapist] and the more we thought about it, there was one particular diagnosis [that felt right]," Bloom says.

As Rebecca comes to grips with this new information, the series will also begin peeling back the layers on one of its newest characters, Nathaniel, played by Scott Michael Foster. In Season 3, we'll see more of his family, and not only his father but his mother and brothers. "You're going to see the whole family dynamic and what he's had to go through living with a very wealthy family," Foster says. And for fans 'shipping Rebecca and Nathaniel after that hot elevator smooch last season, Foster teases that Nathaniel will be "having emotions that he hasn't really had before. He's having feelings he's never really had before. And like everyone else in Rebecca's life, he can't help but be sucked into what's going on with her."

Eh. Not really a fan of Nathaniel, or Nathaniel/Rebecca.

• Love 2

TV Line's Fall preview: (with a new photo)

CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND

After getting ditched at the altar by her true love Josh Chan, will Rebecca Bunch spend Season 3 in quiet reflection? Nah, she’s out for blood, says executive producer Aline Brosh McKenna: “I think it’s our funniest season, but it’s definitely our most intense, emotionally… this is definitely the revenge part of the ‘crazy ex’ concept.” While Josh tries to avoid Rebecca’s wrath by hiding out in the seminary (although “there is no hiding from Rebecca Bunch,” McKenna hints), she turns to her boss Nathaniel for a few dirty tricks… and maybe a shoulder to cry on. Rebecca and Nathaniel “definitely have a very strong physical connection,” McKenna notes, “and that’s something we play with a lot this season.” Plus, look for new obstacles in Darryl and White Josh’s budding romance, along with guest spots from singer Josh Groban and Broadway star Rory O’Malley.

BONUS SPOILER!: A new season of Crazy Ex means a new theme song, McKenna confirms, and Season 3’s tune will feature “Rebecca trying to understand what her new role is.” (Is it too much to hope for a Disney-style villainess song? Poor unfortunate souls, indeed.)

Description for episodes 3.02 and 3.03:

"To Josh, With Love"

REBECCA ENLISTS A NEW ALLY IN HER QUEST FOR REVENGE - Rebecca (Rachel Bloom), unsatisfied with Paula's (Donna Lynne Champlin) ideas to build a case against Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III), turns to Nathaniel (Scott Michael Foster) for help crafting a truly evil plan. Meanwhile, Josh finds becoming a priest is harder than he thought. Pete Gardner, David Hull, Vella Lovell and Gabrielle Ruiz also star.

Rachel Specter and Audrey Wauchope wrote the episode, directed by Kabir Akhtar (#302). Original airdate 10/20/2017.

"Josh is a Liar."

THE PLOT THICKENS - After encountering a major setback in her plan to get even with Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III), a panicked Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) starts a smear campaign to discredit Josh before he can turn everyone against her. Donna Lynne Champlin, Pete Gardner, Vella Lovell, David Hull, Scott Michael Foster and Gabrielle Ruiz also star.

Michael Hitchcock wrote the episode, directed by Stuart McDonald (#303). Original airdate 10/27/2017.

Season 3 preview at TVLine: http://tvline.com/2017/10/10/crazy-ex-girlfriend-season-3-spoilers-rebecca-josh-chan-cw-preview/

“I think it’s our funniest season, but it’s definitely our most intense, emotionally,” showrunner Aline Brosh McKenna previews. “It kind of feels like we’re finally getting to the really meaty heart of this dynamic… this is definitely the revenge part of the ‘crazy ex’ concept. The vengeful part.” And if you thought Rebecca was a little nutty in years past, fasten your seatbelts, she warns: “Her car was barely on the rails for most of [Season] 2, and now it really is starting to get off the rails.”

I liked the message of the new titles on the basis that in Rebecca's universe she and possibly others literally hear voices in their heads (that's what the songs are). Usually that's quite healthy.

But the voices she hears are messing with her now as she spirals out of control - because since she's not actually suffering a psychotic break, they are of course all her own voice.

The voices are telling her she's crazy (she's bad) and she's not crazy (she's fine) or she's just crazy in a sexy way (she's great) as what is actually happening is that her mood is swinging wildly and her behaviour is going from appropriate to inappropriate. 

The songs in her head have stopped making sense, they are switching track too fast and she doesn't understand what's gone wrong, she doesn't recognize their message, because her brain is malfunctioning even more than normal.

But hey. I also thought that it's still pretty catchy.

• Love 3

I really thought the new theme opening (more the staging of it than the actual lyrics) was very clever. The tone's getting appropriately darker as Rebecca's mindset gets darker, but also this is the first one where she's actually starting to question so-called "crazy" behavior explicitly with her little "what?" at the end of it. I thought it was a smart meta-comment on the various narratives you see in pop culture (and music esp.) with a vengeful ex, a potentially depressed brooder, a tough/callout-prone rapper, and an edgy rocker (ok, that one's sort of the weakest.) It's a direct commentary on what they've said is one of the major themes of the show all along--the way women are often portrayed as "crazy" and the way society hands them so many mixed messages about how to behave and react to pain/anger/betrayal.

• Love 2

I liked Nathaniel last season but these season the air is out of the balloon, or whatever metaphor. I kind of missed the beat where he decided to stop being "nice" - I guess moping after Rebecca - and get ... evil again? enough so that Rebecca sought him out. I didn't feel any heat in the "Strip away my conscience number" although Bloom herself was sexy in it and Scott Michael Thomas's acting was fine. I don't know, I'm just not that geared up to meet his family and find out the whole dynamic. I don't care about his character that much. I can't wait, though, to meet Paula's parents.

Also, it's obvious that the show runners think he's the hottest hunk ever, and of course as an actor, romantic lead, he is good looking and he fits the part. But comparing him to the handsome he's supposed to be, I'm not feeling it.  He reminds me of certain soap opera actors who could be hot or not depending on the personality and chops of the performer. You know, you see their picture and are like - he's ok, but if they have charisma and charm, they become the hottest thing, and if not, you don't even look at him when he's in a scene. IMO SMT is not the kind of good looking where you just enjoy looking at him even if he's not good.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 2

The latest preview says we won't be able to guess the twist, so I thought it might be fun to try. Nathaniel gets married? Greg comes back? Those both seem like obvious guesses, so I'm hoping the show has something better.

• Love 1

I really don't think Santino/Greg is ever coming back. That door seems pretty firmly closed (from his side at least). Is the twist too obvious to be Rachel owning up to the fact that she's been shitty to all of them? Maybe she's going to decide to move away.

I could see her changing locations as a twist.  I also think Greg coming back would be a big surprise because they haven't really focused on him. I could see Santino doing a guest appearance but for like a show or two at most. I don't see him doing a story arc longer than that.  But in order to make his appearance a big twist or worthwhile, he'd have to bring something that would shake things up.  Would exposing Rebecca slept with his dad be enough?  No one knows about it.  Would it be enough for Paula to start to question who was in charge of the blackmail? 

Who cares if Nathan gets married?  Again, that'd put the focus back on the Rebecca/Nathan "love" story rather than Rebecca.  Do Rebecca and Josh sleep together again?  That would be both a backslide and a shock.

I didn't realize the finale was airing tonight so I'm glad we find out soon.

I have been thinking about the news that in season 4 Greg will be played by Skylar Astin instead of the unavailable (unwilling? unwelcome?) Santino Fontana and the fact that they are trying to make a virtue of necessity by asserting that having Greg played by a different actor will represent something about perception or whatever. On the one hand, doing something like this to make a classic musical theatre reference to Dream Curly in Oklahoma would delight me immensely, but I think you need Santino present in order to set it up properly. On the other, if they try to make a comment about Rebecca's perception of Greg vs "real" Greg, since Santino's Greg clearly existed independently of Rebecca and interacted with other characters, he must be "real" Greg, right? Which seems like it would limit Skylar to perceived/dream Greg, so if they are going to make the concept work it doesn't seem like he could appear in any scene without Rebecca. If Greg is going to have a large presence in season 4, I think I would rather just see it happen with a different actor (actor =/= character!) than see a weak attempt at a high concept fail.

• Love 1

I just have to comment that from the end of S3 until now, Bloom has been using that exact facial expression in most photos. Red carpet, posing, and even as her facial expression "tag" on the show. I don't get it. The cheese eating grin can work as a comic commentary juxtaposed against something chaotic / crazy, but all of a sudden, nearly every photo I see of Bloom, she has that squinched up, open mouthed grin (not smile). There is nothing wrong with it except it repeats all the time, so it feels like a choice. It used to be part of her repertoire for specific types of material or when she was extra jokey on the red carpet, now it's her default. I noticed because on its face it is "animated" - in the middle of a laugh or reaction, but it's actually a fixed expression.

Edited by DianeDobbler

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s upcoming fourth and final season is racking up guest stars, from the return of Patton Oswalt and Queer Eye’s Tan France to My Big Fat Greek Wedding’s Nia Vardalos.

Vardalos will play Wendy, a long-term, high-powered client of Rebecca’s who is surprised by a recent turn of events in Rebecca’s life. “Wendy is a really amazing businesswoman who comes to Whitefeather and is really, really underwhelmed by the performances of anyone who isn’t Rebecca,” co-creator Rachel Bloom says. “Nia takes her to a whole other level. That was a brilliant stroke of casting that was Aline’s idea and it’s just perfect.”

https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/02/get-the-first-details-on-nia-vardalos-character-in-crazy-ex-girlfriend/

https://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-2018-season-premiere-spoilers/#!10/crazy-ex-girlfriend-fall-tv-preview-2018/

crazy-ex-girlfriend-fall-tv-preview-2018

CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND

The fourth and final season of The CW’s musical rom-com plays out like “the final act of a movie,” according to co-creator Aline Brosh McKenna, with all of Rebecca Bunch’s romantic chickens coming home to roost… including the return of Greg, now “reimagined” in the form of Pitch Perfect‘s Skylar Astin. “There’s a lot that she has to figure out in terms of all the men in her life,” McKenna hints.

First, though, Rebecca has to deal with the fallout from pleading guilty to attempted murder, which leads to her spending “a little bit of [time] behind bars” and drives a wedge between her and Nathaniel: “He doesn’t understand the idea of taking moral responsibility… so it’s very hard for him to not take it personally.” But Rebecca’s guilty plea does give her and Paula “a clean slate on the friendship,” Rachel Bloom reveals, while she and her former obsession Josh Chan “are actually drawn together as friends” as Josh starts to look inward (for once). As McKenna puts it, “introspective Josh Chan is pretty hilarious.” 

BONUS SPOILER!: Tovah Feldshuh will return as Rebecca’s overbearing mom for the final season, Bloom confirms. “The biggest unresolved relationship in Rebecca’s life is not with Greg, or any man,” she notes. “It’s with her parents.”

• Love 1

Another photo and more previews from Variety:

“This season is the last act of Rebecca Bunch’s story. We explore what it’s like for her to live her life now that she understands her problems and tendencies. We also deal with the destinies and relationships of the supporting characters. What’s new in season 4 is that Rebecca knows who she is, what she’s capable of, and what she needs to overcome. In the second half of the season, the show returns in full force to its romantic comedy roots with multiple suitors in play and the return of Greg!”

– Aline Brosh McKenna, showrunner

crazy-ex-girlfriend.jpg?w=1000

Kinda vague premiere description:

"I Want to Be Here"

SEASON PREMIERE - Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) confronts the consequences of her guilty plea while an angry Nathaniel (Scott Michael Foster) seeks solace in a retreat and Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) searches for answers. Donna Lynne Champlin, Vella Lovell, Gabrielle Ruiz and Pete Gardner also star.

Rachel Bloom wrote the episode, directed by Stuart McDonald

(#401). Original airdate 10/12/2018.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:11 PM, Trini said:

So it looks like "I" might be the title theme this season: 4.02 title:  "I Am Ashamed"

The promo photos for that episode are few photos of the women doing a seance?

A few more photos were released, and I don't know what this musical number is about, but I might love it already!

CEG402a_0530b_595_Spoiler%20TV%20Transpa

Yes, that's Patton Oswalt guest starring.

4.02 and 4.03 descriptions:

"I Am Ashamed"

IT'S HALLOWEEN IN WEST COVINA - Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) enlists in a Meanwhile, Darryl (Pete Gardner) takes his parenting duties to an extreme, while Nathaniel (Scott Michael Foster) is determined to prove to his father that he can run the law firm. Vincent Rodriguez III, Donna Lynne Champlin, Vella Lovell and Gabrielle Ruiz also star.

Erin Ehrlich wrote the episode, directed by Audrey Wauchope

(#402). Original airdate 10/19/2018.

"I'm On My Own Path"

NINA VARDALOS GUEST STARS - As Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) contemplates her feelings about her career, Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin) is forced to deal with a big client (guest star Nina Vardalos). Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) tries to get back in the dating game, while Heather (Vella Lovell) and Hector (guest star Erick Lopez) deal with insurance. Scott Michael Foster, Pete Gardner and Gabrielle Ruiz also star.

Alden Derck wrote the episode, directed by Jude Weng

(#403). Original airdate 10/26/2018

4.05 and 4.06 descriptions:

"I'm So Happy For You" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DL) (HDTV)

BIG NEWS IN WEST COVINA - Heather (Vella Lovell) and Valencia (Gabrielle Ruiz) both have changes in their lives which leaves Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) reeling. Meanwhile, Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin) has to adjust to some good news/bad news from her eldest son. Vincent Rodriguez III, Pete Gardner and Scott Michael Foster also star.

Ilana Pena wrote the episode, directed by Erin Ehrlich (#405). Original airdate 11/9/2018.

"I See You" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

EMOTIONS RUN HIGH - Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) gets more than she bargained for during a day out with Darryl (Pete Gardner). Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) lends a helping hand to Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin), while Heather (Vella Lovell) encourages Nathaniel (Scott Michael Foster) to be a nice person. Gabrielle Ruiz and Vincent Rodriguez III also star.

Jack Dolgen wrote the episode, directed by Dan Gregor (#406). Original airdate 11/16/2018.

• Love 1

Preview clip for 4.05:

Farewell party for Heather and Valencia? I assume Heather might be moving out with Hector so they can have their own place, but what about Valencia? Is she leaving the show? (Although she'd probably make a couple more appearances even if she was.)

• Love 1

4.08 description, the return of Greg and the last episode before the holiday hiatus:

"I'm Not The Person I Used To Be"

SKYLAR ASTIN COMES TO WEST COVINA - Greg (Skylar Astin) returns to West Covina, which forces Rebecca (Rachel Bloom) to question things she thought she knew about people she has loved in her life. Meanwhile, Valencia (Gabrielle Ruiz) and Josh (Vincent Rodriguez III) make some shocking discoveries while at their high school reunion.
Vella Lovell, Pete Gardner, Donna Lynne Champlin and Scott Michael Foster also star.

Rene Gube wrote the episode, directed by Stuart McDonald (#408). Original airdate 12/7/2018.

• Love 1