Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Chapter Forty-Five

Seems like such a long time since this show returning! Really looking forward to see the premiere.... my two cents....they're not killing Michael off....I'm guessing it will be touch and go for a bit just to keep the drama up....but  nope...no way.   Did I just jinx it?

• Love 3

The resolution of Michael's mom being an asshole to Jane was kind of abrupt, but that's a minor part of the episode.

I always enjoy the flashbacks on this show.  They have a lot of fun with skipping around in time.

Does Rose have a submarine?  She'd closer and closer to being a Bond villain.

• Love 1

God, I missed this show.

I was sure Michael was going to die when they showed all the flash forwards. Did you catch their very diverse, awesome family in the BBQ scene? 

I had a lump in my throat the entire hour.

I really miss Petra. Anezka makes me very uncomfortable. Yael is crazy talented.

i hope nothing prevents Xo from getting the abortion. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I never thought they'd kill off Michael.But I didn't think we'd see him pull through with flying colors so fast, but glad he did. Maybe they're doing a bit of a time jump in the next ep. 

I loved the flash forwards where Jane was talking to Michael about doing things with their family.  The aging makeup was meh. although they did a good job of making Alba look pretty old. And that flashback to where they had that argument outside of the police station was awesome. "Dick!" Hah, I was not expecting that.

Also, #URINETROUBLE was pretty funny.

I had forgotten all about paralyzed Petra.

• Love 2

Michael's alive!!!

I really enjoyed tonight's episode and I loved the moments of Jane and Michael's backstory. That there was another man in Jane's heart before Michael and  Rafael is a good thing to establish for Jane.

I'm glad that Xo talked to Rogelio about her situation and made it clear about what she wants and needs are for her life.

Does Rose have a submarine?  She'd closer and closer to being a Bond villain.

I find it great that Rose is the telenovela villain that won't ever die (at this stage of the series). There's always that villain that never truly gets their due, gets sent to jail or goes out in their blaze of glory until the second to final episode of the telenovela.

Edited by vixenbynight

I thought the episode was ok. I feel like they are making up Jane and Michael's back story as they go along though, probably to make them seem more interesting than they are? It would have been more interesting if their relationship had started like that from jump.

I also felt like Jane's breakdown was unearned.  There was so much back and forth last season that I'm still having a hard time believing her investment in her marriage to Michael.

I feel way worse for Petra than I do for Michael. What is being done to her is awful. And for it to be done by Aneska, her twin makes it even worse. 

Rafael turning down a relationship with Aneska/Petra was the highlight for me. He's finally being smart for once. 

• Love 9

Breathing a sigh of relief that Michael lived. The way the show had set itself up seemed to point to he HAD to live, otherwise you had Rafael in a triangle with Aneshka and Petra, and presumably comforting then pursuing Jane. I didn't believe they'd set up Aneshka/Petra if Michael weren't going to live. Phew.

That said, please already - Rogelio doesn't want to be a father again or he'd have gotten around to it with one of his many wives or many girlfriends at some point in the 24 years since Jane's birth. And as for Luisa/Rose, in about three interviews now, the show runner has probably expressed more excitement for what she wants to do with the two of them than she has for any other aspect of the show. I love Yara Martinez, but please no.  (Although her continual focus on her plans for a Luisa/Rose story arc also suggested Michael would live, as I couldn't imagine that being valid if she'd murdered Michael).

• Love 1

Yay Michael's alive. I laughed out loud at his amnesia fake out. They soap world already used paralysis, so I was really expecting amnesia. 

I loved the flashbacks and the flash forwards. 

Poor Petra! I was so hoping for her to get the cops attention.

• Love 7

I am thrilled that Michael's alive. I knew he would at least live, but I honestly assumed that something would have happened that would have broken them up. Now, I guess it still could, but for now, they're happy! They're still married! He's fine! I love the fake out that they did when Michael woke up, because it WOULD have been a TV trope if he had amnesia. Plus, they already touched on paralysis and aortic dissection. 

I loved seeing Jane/Michael's flashbacks. Of course, I'm not pleased that there was a Sam, but now I kind of get why Michael has been so wary of Rafael. Having been in a love triangle before, he didn't want to go through it again, and this second one for him lasted much longer. Of course I fully expect to see Sam pop up in the next few episodes. Sam's obviously up and coming appearance is absolutely going to make me nervous with Jane/Michael's fate in their marriage. 

And watching the flashforwards (god, I really want it to be flashforwards) were good. They were short, and they hit their point. Sure, the aging didn't work out completely, but the point was the message behind them so I can wave my hand at the makeup. 

I am also looking forward to their new cat. 

I feel worse for Petra, who is really trapped and it doesn't look like she'll be discovered any time soon. God, I really hope it ends next episode. She doesn't deserve it. Yael's amazing because I was so creeped out by all of the Anezka scenes. I could tell that it wasn't Petra right away and I could never shake that thought off. 

I hope Xo goes through with the abortion. It's the right thing for her, and it would feel unnatural if she changed her mind. It would be worse if something or someone got in the way of her abortion. 

I'm only half interested in Luisa/Rose. 

• Love 3

Bleah.  I feel...done with this show.  

When it looked like Michael was going to live, but the bullet was near his spine, I thought, Okay -- that's how they're going to keep Jane a virgin this season.  This could work!

But if the preview for next week was any indication, he bounces right back.  Walking already?? unless it was meant to be a flashback, it looks like there was no point to this shooting.  I'm so over bullshit cliffhanger season-enders. 

I'm Team Rafael all the way.  I find Michael not at all attractive.  And if they're not going there, I'm already bored.

• Love 5

Yael Grobglas really needs to maslaney her Anezka-playing-Petra a bit more.

Loved the amnesia fake-out though, and the cat promise. Team Michael all the way -- it's such a playful fun relationship (when he's not being an ass for the sake of the plot)

• Love 4

I'm happy that Michael survived but I don't know if i believe it's for good. The triangle can only last for so long.

i could see him popping Janes cherry and then dying or the more depressing option is now that he and Jane have had some nice moments the rest of the season will be spent breaking them up and making them look bad so the show can bring the focus back in Jane/Raphael.

• Love 1

I'm Team Dog, so I'm totally fine with Jane not liking cats!

I really liked the realistic aspect of Jane having to decide about Michael's surgery. Like she said, you talk about who will take out the garbage and when to have kids, not what to do if there's a bullet lodged near your spine and you could be paralyzed but you're also in critical condition. Remember that Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Elaine went through that whole list of medical possibilities? It seemed overly detailed at the time, but apparently it's a good idea to go through every imaginable scenario.

Jane was way nicer and more understanding about Michael's mom than I could have been in that situation. I get that his mom was upset, but like Xo pointed out, that's no excuse to be bitchy to Jane.

Poor Petra. I know Michael was shot and all, but she is conscious and cognizant 100% aware of what is going on but unable to tell anyone or free herself. That is so horrifying.

Heh, I love how insulted Rogelio was at those guys thinking he was Erik Estrada.

• Love 3

I don't think we'll see Sam again at all. I think he was a plot device to show how strongly she was drawn to Michael. Sam is a guy she crushed on for seventeen straight months, seemed to have a lot in common with Jane, he was thrilled when he asked her out, and yet when Michael came along he was able to displace Sam. That is what Sam was for. He's not another triangle situation.

I don't think this is a spoiler - the show runner said she was sick to death of playing the triangle. So I think they are moving on from it. I read an interview with her right before watching the premiere, to see if I could get a hint as to Michael living or dying. Everything she said about Rafael's upcoming story made me think/hope Michael would live.  She said general things about changing dynamics, etc. Actually, it seems as if it sets up for more story for Rafael than Jane and Michael, but I guess we'll see. I'm very eager to see what's going on with Petra/Anezka, Rafael. I think that's going to drag on awhile longer.

My big MEH from the interview is that the show runner is all about doing a big romantic story for Luisa/Rose. She has said this in every single interview, and is super enthused.

However, her enthusiasm was another hint that Michael lives. You can't get people invested in a love story where one of the people murdered a beloved leading character in cold blood.

I actually liked "Suzanne" better than Rose.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NaughtyKitty said:

He in no way looked, sounded, or acted like a high school kid.

He wasn't a high school kid. Michael and Jane met on her 21st birthday, so Sam would've been in college too. Unless Jane was robbing the cradle! 

I thought the episode was well made and I'm glad to see everyone back, but it felt almost like a filler episode because 90% of the focus was on resolving the cliffhanger. I look forward to what the show is going to do next. 

Poor Petra. I think she and Luisa get the most telenovella-y story lines in that wacky, insane things happen to them, but there's very little emotionally serious follow up. Petra has done horrible things, but she's also had horrible things done to her and the show doesn't seem interested in dealing with grounded fallout like they have with Jane and her family. I'm not confident that the show will acknowledge the intense body horror going on in her storyline.

Same thing with Luisa. She's been kidnapped (again), lied to by her father's murderer for months, drugged. And yet her storyline is always "see how much she loves Rose!" Even when the plots are whacky, Jane and her family usually get to have normal emotional responses. Luisa just gets more and more cartoonish.

I thought Michael was going to die last season before they got married. Once that didn't happen, I was pretty confident that he was safe because his death would be drastically incongruent with the tone of the show. Now that he and Jane are going to start living their life, I think it would be even harder to kill him off, so I'm surprised that so many people think that's the direction the show is going in. Divorce I could maybe see, with a lot of build up, but I don't see how the show could kill him while he and Jane are still in love without it being really jarring.

• Love 5

I only watch this show for Rogelio and also the actress that plays Petra/Anezka. Wow is she talented and gorgeous, she would make me switch teams!

Of course Rogelio is my favorite character ever on TV, I love him to death. Jane bores me, Raphael bores me and Micheal bores me.

Jane is so annoying with her "madeo madeo" but can't stop watching due to Yael and Jaime LOVE to pieces..maybe they should get together, lol

• Love 1

More Sam, por favor. Make him a friend of the family or a fellow grad student or something. He doesn't have to be part of a love triangle. Because that guy is fiiiiine.

I laughed out loud at Michael's amnesia fakeout. My neighbors may have been concerned. Good one, show.

• Love 6

Michael lives! Michael lives! I was so scared that they were going to really kill him off, with all the foreshadowing about Michael's death they had going on. Loved the episode, and, I will admit, the room got a little dusty when Jane was talking about their possible future. Oh that just got me. Team Jane and Michael! 

Poor Petra! I hope this does not go on for too long, because I feel awful for her, and Anezka and Magda need to be taken down HARD. They suck. Especially awful Anezka. I didn't even like her before we knew she was an evil twin. Her whole joke at first was that she is from a different country and dosnt speak English very well, and for a show that is so respectful of bilingualism and Hispanic culture when it comes to Jane's family, it just felt weird. I was glad that Rafael could tell that Anezka was a fake, even if he does not really understand how he knows that. 

I liked that the cops came to see Michael in the hospital, and how invested everyone was in Michael. Michael's mom was being awful, but I laughed at both of them answering to the same name. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I was glad that Rafael could tell that Anezka was a fake, even if he does not really understand how he knows that. 

Same here. It's nice when this show turns cliches like that on its head. And it makes sense that Rafael could recognize that something wasn't right, even if he did just chalk it up to him moving on from "Petra" after so long. But that gives the hope that the real Petra and Rafael can rekindle something, especially if the love triangle is truly over. 

I'm happy for more Sam if he doesn't get in the way of Jane/Michael. If the showrunner is serious about the Jane/Rafael/Michael love triangle being over, then it would not be smart to start another one, especially if it breaks up Jane/Michael's marriage before it really starts. I'm curious about Sam anyways, who felt more like a plot device. What this show is ok at is making each character have some sort of purpose. Ok, not always, but someone like Sam could appear for a few episodes with a purpose. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm Team Dog, so I'm totally fine with Jane not liking cats!

I really liked the realistic aspect of Jane having to decide about Michael's surgery. Like she said, you talk about who will take out the garbage and when to have kids, not what to do if there's a bullet lodged near your spine and you could be paralyzed but you're also in critical condition. Remember that Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Elaine went through that whole list of medical possibilities? It seemed overly detailed at the time, but apparently it's a good idea to go through every imaginable scenario.

Jane was way nicer and more understanding about Michael's mom than I could have been in that situation. I get that his mom was upset, but like Xo pointed out, that's no excuse to be bitchy to Jane.

Poor Petra. I know Michael was shot and all, but she is conscious and cognizant 100% aware of what is going on but unable to tell anyone or free herself. That is so horrifying.

Heh, I love how insulted Rogelio was at those guys thinking he was Erik Estrada.

I was a weeping mess during this episode because I love Michael and my brother had a friend go through a similar-ish situation. His friend had leukemia, he married his high school sweetheart, they went to college together, he and his wife built as much of a life together as they could even though his prognosis wasn't good, and as his condition started to get worse they discussed what he wanted to happen with his remains and the service, and in the last couple of days of his life when he wasn't even really there his parents came in basically did what Michael's mom did. The friend and his wife were about Jane and Michael's age and previously, his parents had been supportive of the two of them. But those last days, they basically shouted down his wife and largely cut her out of funeral plans. I get that this was their son, but they were unbelievably nasty to a young woman who had been a substantial part of their lives for almost a decade. From that day on, my siblings and I banned them from being at any events where we are present. I just couldn't.

• Love 4

Woohoo!  Michael's alive!  But I'm still worried for him, given my suspicion/fear that Jane and Rafael are end-game.  But:

I don't think this is a spoiler - the show runner said she was sick to death of playing the triangle. So I think they are moving on from it.

maybe it will work out better than I expect for them.

Loved young Jane "schooling" the author on the conventions of the genre.

Poor Petra; her current situation is horrific.

Xo's story is depressing me; I'm pro-life, I really don't want to see an abortion storyline, but there's no graceful way out of it, either.  An oh-so convenient miscarriage?  Xo suddenly deciding she does want another child after all? Ugh. Why did they even give her a pregnancy, given that we already had an accidental pregnancy with Jane and an intentional/devious pregnancy with Petra?  Surely there were other ways to add conflict to Xo and Rogelio's relationship.

HunterHunted, that sounds awful.  Unfortunately, suffering doesn't always bring out the best in people.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rallymantis said:

Now I Remember: Michael's mom taught the cooking extension course that Monica excelled at in Friends.

She was the kid in peril in the best Chuck Norris movie, Code Of Silence 

(edited)

Molly Hagan has guest starred on a million shows so she definitely has HITG! status, but I always remember her as the angel on Herman's Head and Sister Roberta on Seinfeld!

ETA: the actor playing Sam is named Miles Gaston Villanueva!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lebanna said:

So is Jane actually going with 'Mrs. Cordero' now or was that moment just to show how awkward Michael's mother was being? I hope not, because her birth name is really awesome.

Oh, maybe just because the nurse/doctor would assume that was her name. Not sure they said if she is changing it.

• Love 1

SO HAPPY Michael's alive. I really was going to quit the show if he died because 1. I love him and 2. Rafael sucks and I could not handle Jane with him again.

Poor Petra! I can't wait for her to get out of this jam somehow.

• Love 3

Yay! Michael's alive! I love that he pretended to have amnesia, but just for a moment. He's picked up a few things from watching telenovelas with the Villanueva ladies!

I hope Sam returns, but not as a love interest for Jane. Maybe he could work at the hotel and be Rafael's friend? Raf desperately needs a solid friend who has never betrayed him and with whom he shares no children. I also like the new cop who was suspicious of Anezka. I hope he sticks around.

Of course Rose has a submarine with an extremely cushy bed. If they're going to keep going with this whole Sin Rostro thing, I hope we get more background and insight on Rose. It might keep it more interesting. I find the string of villain tricks somewhat entertaining, but after awhile I want more of a behind-the-scenes look into the evil empire.

• Love 3
On 10/18/2016 at 2:33 PM, rallymantis said:

Now I Remember: Michael's mom taught the cooking extension course that Monica excelled at in Friends.

She was also the best friend of Lea Thompson in Some Kind of Wonderful, the mom of Liv on iZombie S1 and she was on a sitcom called Herman's Head in the 80s/90s.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2016 at 4:52 PM, taragel said:
On 10/18/2016 at 0:55 AM, Snarkette said:

Yael Grobglas really needs to maslaney her Anezka-playing-Petra a bit more.

So much this.

Granted, it's not OB, so Yael gets a pass for having a fantastic voice and doing so much with a part that was at first thankless.

I would like to see Sam again... at my own door, please, not in the show. And Rose and Luisa can die by torpedo. The supervillain aspect of the show has always been the weakest for me. I'm not even in it for the romance. I'm in it for the family, the three strong, amazing Vilanueva woman and, of course, Rogelio. It's a beautiful day to be him.

• Love 4
On 22/10/2016 at 7:04 PM, Silly Angel said:

And Rose and Luisa can die by torpedo. The supervillain aspect of the show has always been the weakest for me. 

I get this is a tele nova. I know because they constantly tell me. But the idea that Rose walked around in the mask making out with Luisa who apparently didn't notice the rubber is just too ridiculous even for me. Also, Petra sucks but she still doesn't deserve her current torture. And don't get me started on Rafael's rape. The show did a good job in Season 2 of quickly cleaning up the mess that was the Season 1 finale but they seem to be doing a less good job of it this season. Bridget Regan is awesome but not even she can sell me on the character of Rose right now.

Having said all of that, I always enjoy episodes of this show. So I'm glad I'm finally getting to watch it again.

So, season 3 has hit Netflix, and I'm on it, so my wait between the season 2 cliffhanger and this was mercifully brief. Not too shabby for someone whose first ever episode was the season 3 finale. 

Really enjoyed the episode. It was appropriately tense and dramatic, but still maintained its trademark comedic charms. 

I was expecting Sam to have been one of the doctors that saved Michael. 

• Love 1