Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway In the Media

• Start Topic

I wondered if they were actually even bringing back Project Runway this year. Heidi hosts everything on the planet so I had my doubts.

As someone who used to be a big fan of Project Runway, I think it would be for the best if it ended. The show has ruined its own credibility, and the sham that is All Stars hasn't helped matters. 

If Heidi would eliminate the All Star version (ugh) and breathe new life into the normal version  by referring back to when it was successful and making the changes necessary it could work.  I don't like what it has become.  I will continue to watch but not be disappointed if it ended.  

• Love 1

Yup:  all it takes is a couple of really interesting contestants.  

See, I think that's part of the problem. All they do these days is promote 'really interesting contestants'. So we get a pack of dead end kids who design crap, and they hang on forever for no defensible reason. I think the only thing that would save them is really interesting clothes, where by interesting I don't mean pantchos or poorly cut rompers with pinwheels on them or endless iterations of the same garment (Michelle's mud-colored tunics, Helen's variations on a theme of embellished sheath, Kate's clumsy homemade David's Bridal confections, &c)

• Love 2
(edited)

Now, when I say "interesting", I think Mondo (before it went to his head) or Christian Siriano.  They are both wildly talented but beyond that, Mondo's daily outfits were something to behold and Christian gave fantastic talking head.  Patricia, Santino, Austen, Laura Bennett all brought something special to their seasons even thought they didn't win.  What do you remember more about Dimitri-- his garment week two or his coining the phrase "one-way monkey"?  That's the stuff that keeps me watching.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 6

There are 2 small changes that would make me unbelievably happy again with this show.  Fewer contestants and more 2 or 3 day challenges.  That's the way the first few seasons were, back in the Bravo days.  I think it makes a huge difference in the quality of the work and the attitudes of the contestants.  

I'm pretty sure this season will be just as crowded as usual and full of 1 day challenges, but it's good to have hope.  *LOL*

• Love 5

There are 2 small changes that would make me unbelievably happy again with this show.  Fewer contestants and more 2 or 3 day challenges.  That's the way the first few seasons were, back in the Bravo days.  I think it makes a huge difference in the quality of the work and the attitudes of the contestants.  

I'm pretty sure this season will be just as crowded as usual and full of 1 day challenges, but it's good to have hope.  *LOL*

It's interesting, this topic came up before, and as it turned out, there were actually quite a few 1-day challenges in S1 and S2. But fewer "twists." So while we might not see more 2-3 day challenges (because I suspect the production is cheap), at the very least I'd hope they could stop throwing curveballs for "drama." Let the clothing do the talking.

• Love 2
all it takes is a couple of really interesting contestants.

I agree that the casting people are leaning towards "interesting" (combative/delusional/loudmouthed) contestants instead of designers with interesting ideas. To be honest, on shows like this that are supposed to showcase contestants with some kind of skill, it's rare that someone's personality wins me over. I like them based on what they produce and usually the only way their personality affects my decision is negatively. I can't think of a single instance where I disliked their designs but wanted someone to win because they were so nice. Usually what happens is that the obnoxious people start to annoy me to the point where I don't even want to see what they're designing. And unfortunately, many of the obnoxious contestants don't have the skills to justify their attitudes.

• Love 5

In the run-up to the new season, Lifetime is doing a PR marathon pretty much every day for the next week with seasons 10, 12 and 13. Was 11 All-stars? I can't remember. Anyway, it's a little odd, they're running 4-5 episodes of 1 season in correct order, then throwing in one episode from another season, then another group from the other season. But, whatever.

There's also going to be a Run-up to the Runway season preview right before the season premier next week.

• Love 2

Have they not seen any episode of Project Runway EVER? You bring your tools. When you get sent home, that's what you have to go pack up in the workroom.  *headdesk*  Is this orchestrated just to have something new and "dramatic"? Because otherwise they should be sent home for being so unprepared. Sheesh.

• Love 1

Tom & Lorenzo are no longer doing blog recaps but they are discussing the show in their weekly podcast.  They devoted the whole hour to the show this week, but they'll scale back in the future to include other topics.

Oh, I am so looking forward to the time - hopefully shortly - when ten or twelve of the primary candidates drop out because they can't fundraise with Donald Trump sucking the air out of the room. Because I'm really positive that our nation's political reporters have something really juicy they're waiting to drop on him once that happens.

Good for Heidi.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Spotted today at the hairdresser: Darling Dmitry's drop-dead trouser suit for someone at the BET awards (sorry, don't know who she is as I am ignorant but she is clearly v famous and in a TV series called something like "Orange is a new color")

Spotted today at the hairdresser: Darling Dmitry's drop-dead trouser suit for someone at the BET awards (sorry, don't know who she is as I am ignorant but she is clearly v famous and in a TV series called something like "Orange is a new color")

Presumably Uzo Aduba from the Netflix series Orange is the New Black.

And back when she was starring in Godspell on Broadway, she was a judge on S1 All Stars, so it's not even strange that she would be wearing a PR designer.

That baffles me! How on earth did they both step on the same rusty nail? Once one person stepped on it, wouldn't they have removed it for safety reasons? Was he with her when she stepped on it? It would seem so, if they both went to the hospital at the same time. If so, wouldn't he have known to step carefully after seeing her do it (or vice versa)? 

I'm clearly thinking about this way too much, but it makes no sense to me. It's not like broken glass all over the ground.

• Love 3

I was picturing a Three Stooges type situation where one of them steps on the end of a board and gets whacked in the face and then the other person comes running over to see what happens and does the exact same thing.

LOL!! Now I'm picturing it too.

• Love 1

That baffles me! How on earth did they both step on the same rusty nail? Once one person stepped on it, wouldn't they have removed it for safety reasons? Was he with her when she stepped on it? It would seem so, if they both went to the hospital at the same time. If so, wouldn't he have known to step carefully after seeing her do it (or vice versa)?

I'm clearly thinking about this way too much, but it makes no sense to me. It's not like broken glass all over the ground.

I have no idea. All I know is what the media reported, which is Heidi & Zac both recently had to go to the hospital for Tetanus shots, & presumably other treatment--like a medically professional cleanup & bandaging; maybe a short-term prescription for an antibiotic--after they both stepped on a rusty nail on the PR set.

I assumed it was the same nail 'cause that seemed logical to me. But there might've been multiple nails involved. I will concede that point.

What I'm not sure is, were they on a taping break & both barefoot or were they walking around in socks/stockings or cloth-type/easily penetrated slippers? I mean, whenever they're actually on the show everybody--including them--is wearing shoes which should be sturdy enough so a nail can't injure a foot (except maybe for some or all of the models in the runway show portion, depending on the theme of the design challenge, when the designs might suit bare feet better than some form of shoes).

• Love 1

Thank you! The hairdresser doesn't like it if I rip up her gossip rags to be accurate .... And I'm sorry not to know the series, but at least my incompetent report of the item in Se & Hör was comprehensible to you guys! It was a lovely outfit on a beautiful woman.

PR is HUGE in Sweden, and often is shown every day - we got hooked by Austin Scarlett and never looked back. But oddly enough, the Gretchen series is always skipped over in the re-runs - can't imagine why (granny pants and cruelty, anyone?)

• Love 4

If anyone's missed any eps up to this week, Lifetime's airing a marathon of this season starting with the Road to the Runway ep through last week's ep, running in order, before airing tonight's new ep. The marathon airs beginning at 4PM Eastern/3PM Central Time today (check local listings in other time zones).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Looks like branding those t-shirts won't do the designers much good, but they also point out that fast fashion isn't going to last, as consumers drift back to wanting more quality garments.

Granted I've never bought or even seen one of the fast fashion garments so I can't speak to the quality, but it actually seems like a great concept for young women just starting out who want a more extensive wardrobe and aren't yet worried about collecting "classic" pieces that will last for decades like we were taught (or at least I was). 

Granted I've never bought or even seen one of the fast fashion garments so I can't speak to the quality, but it actually seems like a great concept for young women just starting out who want a more extensive wardrobe and aren't yet worried about collecting "classic" pieces that will last for decades like we were taught (or at least I was). 

If you're interested NF has a great documentary on fast fashion called "The True Cost."  Fast fashion wrecks havoc on overseas economies and ecosystems and it creates a lot of discarded clothing (which is interestingly enough sold by the pound to countries like Haiti).

I've never purchased from a fast fashion retailer, but than again I've never much cared about trends.  I like what I like, and what I don't like I don't like.  

I'm not sure what the right balance is -- but I had no idea fast fashion had such an ecological and economic impact

• Love 2