Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway In the Media

• Start Topic

Don't they know how much the show needs that little dog?

They should blow off all these actress guest judges and replace them with Swatch.  You know he'd give his honest opinion and it wouldn't be based on whether the outfit was something he personally wanted to wear.

• Love 4

"So Money" financial advisor Farnoosh Torabi interviewed Tim Gunn recently and talked with him about not getting paid for the first two years of Project Runway and how apparently he didn't stop living "paycheck to paycheck" until after he turned 50, which I thought was really interesting. But anyway, I wanted to link to it as well because (at around 5 minutes in) he talks a bit about his frustrations with Swapnil, starting from the time he arrived with no tools.

Tim says Swapnil just acted "entitled" and assumed that the show would provide him with everything - that troubles me, because I wonder if that's not entitlement but a complete misunderstanding. Then again, how many years has this show been on the air, and you have to see that people bring their tools? And if you think you can skip it, wouldn't you ASK FIRST to be sure before traveling all that way without your tools? It's just a very weird thing all around. 

Tim does go on to talk about his frustrations with Swapnil's work ethic and lack of dedication to creating and ideas, etc., and how the judges would keep him on even though Tim thought his work was sub-par. He still sounds mad. Yikes.

Listening to that, it occurs to me that there's a Tim Gunn save but there's no Tim Gunn "auf." And I'm not sure there should be. As their mentor, I don't know that he was doing enough to get through to Swapnil, especially if he was already frustrated with him from the very beginning of the process. Or maybe we just didn't see it.

Anyway, if anyone wants to listen to it, you can find it here:  Tim Gunn interview with So Money's Farnoosh Torabi.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

LOL. Don't shoot the messenger, whimsey98!  *GRIN*  I'm just reporting what he said.

I'm not saying I agree with any of it. But it sounds like his frustrations with Swapnil were compounded in a way they probably weren't with Merline or Australian Guy who got auf'ed in the first ep - the frustrations started with Swapnil not bringing anything, and got worse when he saw him slacking off. He bitched about how Swapnil would waste time, take a ton of smoke breaks, only put in about 25% effort when it came to coming up with creative ideas, and apparently he would bother the other designers during his time-wasting when they were trying to work.

Tim said he was very talented, but... wasted that talent (and I'm guessing he felt Swapnil was wasting the opportunity). He was really mad that a day and a half had gone by and there was nothing for Swapnil's client to try on. He was all, "What was he doing with his time?" And on that I do have to agree - if you know you need to have something for a model to try on (whether it's a model or a real world client), you need to get stuff done for that, especially if it's not working and needs to be re-done.

I'm also amazed that he never got paid for the first two seasons of the show! He says at the time he had no idea that anyone got paid for reality TV. Interesting stuff there, about how he eventually was approached by an agent who was all, "You're not getting paid ANYTHING? Oh, we need to talk." LOL.

Yeah, you can definitely tell he was not objective, listening to him talk about Swapnil. It wasn't good. But I will say further in the conversation he sounds like he was really frustrated with everyone in the season. He says the kids in the upcoming season of PR Junior had better attitudes and more creativity than the current season's designers. He was really impressed with how they handled themselves.

On a side note, I thought he did have some very interesting things to say about his finances, how he struggled as a teacher and lived paycheck to paycheck until after he turned 50 and when he lost his father. I thought that was a thought-provoking discussion, especially for anyone who is frustrated with their own finances or feeling like they'll never be able to turn things around.

And I think it's fair, in a show like this that should be light entertainment, that, when it starts became aggravating, one should just step away from it and let the people who still enjoy it have their good time.

LOL. Yes. That's why I stopped watching the show for a while, years back. I took some time away and then I came back a couple seasons ago. I just stopped enjoying it because I found myself getting aggravated. It wasn't worth it. So I stepped away. Maybe that helped because now that I'm watching again, I really don't get so invested. I will have opinions, of course, but I don't get furious like I used to.  *GRIN*

Edited by sinkwriter

He says the kids in the upcoming season of PR Junior had better attitudes and more creativity than the current season's designers. He was really impressed with how they handled themselves.

Kids usually are more creative than adults. Even creative adults can't compare to kids, and certainly not creative kids.

I was at a "Creative Management" seminar earlier this year and the instructor gave this exercise:

He gave out 8x11 sheets of typical blank office paper. Then said "You have 2 minutes to come up with a list of things you can do/make with this piece of paper."

A shocking percentage of the people only had things that one expects to use paper for (letters, lists) Thankfully at least 1/3 had "paper airplane" on their list. Being the generation I am, my first thought was "I can make a hat; I can make a brooch!" (anyone get the reference? No one at the seminar did!) which at least started me down an out-of-the-box train of thought.

At the end of the 2 minutes, the instructor asked if anyone had more than 10 items on their list. Many did. More than 15? Fewer. More than 20? Only a couple. He then said that when given this same exercise, the average # of things on the kids' lists was over 50.

That's an idea about every 2 seconds!

Kids aren't afraid of ideas or how others will react to their ideas.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 6

Kids usually are more creative than adults. Even creative adults can't compare to kids, and certainly not creative kids.

Oh definitely, I agree. I just thought it was interesting how he talked about how much more professionally they behaved. 

I love your exercise though. Talk about trying to get your mind to free up and be like a kid again, go outside the box! I need more of that.

• Love 1

(at around 5 minutes in) he talks a bit about his frustrations with Swapnil, starting from the time he arrived with no tools.

Yeah, that's totally not a man dragging his temper tantrum out for months because the people around him aren't signing on to whatever his little brainstorm is about. Just like he did with Natasha, just like he thought was appropriate when Helen did with Alexandria...

I don't think Tim is aging well. 

• Love 4

"So Money" financial advisor Farnoosh Torabi interviewed Tim Gunn recently and talked with him about not getting paid for the first two years of Project Runway and how apparently he didn't stop living "paycheck to paycheck" until after he turned 50, which I thought was really interesting. But anyway, I wanted to link to it as well because (at around 5 minutes in) he talks a bit about his frustrations with Swapnil, starting from the time he arrived with no tools.

Tim says Swapnil just acted "entitled" and assumed that the show would provide him with everything - that troubles me, because I wonder if that's not entitlement but a complete misunderstanding. Then again, how many years has this show been on the air, and you have to see that people bring their tools? And if you think you can skip it, wouldn't you ASK FIRST to be sure before traveling all that way without your tools? It's just a very weird thing all around. 

Tim does go on to talk about his frustrations with Swapnil's work ethic and lack of dedication to creating and ideas, etc., and how the judges would keep him on even though Tim thought his work was sub-par. He still sounds mad. Yikes.

Listening to that, it occurs to me that there's a Tim Gunn save but there's no Tim Gunn "auf." And I'm not sure there should be. As their mentor, I don't know that he was doing enough to get through to Swapnil, especially if he was already frustrated with him from the very beginning of the process. Or maybe we just didn't see it.

Anyway, if anyone wants to listen to it, you can find it here:  Tim Gunn interview with So Money's Farnoosh Torabi.

How does Tim know that Swapnil never called anyone about the tools?  I'm assuming that there was a contact number that Swapnil had and its entirely possible that he called that person and said "you know, its hard for me to get my tools on the plane because of the security process over here, is there any way I can get some when I get there?"  or something along those lines and was told not to worry about it.  

And in the end, Swapnil was right...the show did provide them with tools, so maybe Tim was just mad that no one made Swapnil go out and work the street corner to get a pair of scissors and a tape measure. 

I agree with Whimsey in that its disgusting that Tim is out there trying to throw every bit of dirt he can at Swapnil to forgive his own awful behavior, but Swapnil has been nothing but courteous and kind about Tim in his follow up interviews.  Tim thinks he is doing himself a favor by behaving this way, and he really isn't to me.

And again, why should Swapnil be judged for anything other than his work?  And why should he be responsible for the work ethic of other grown adults?  Tim is not a judge, and if Tim wants to be a judge he needs to take it up with the people who can make him a judge.

I also call BS on his love for PR: Junior.  It's his baby and so I'm sure he is going to say everything wonderful about it.  Until he ends up berating some kid and we can hear about how its all the kid's fault and Tim Gunn did nothing wrong.

Yeah, that's totally not a man dragging his temper tantrum out for months because the people around him aren't signing on to whatever his little brainstorm is about. Just like he did with Natasha, just like he thought was appropriate when Helen did with Alexandria...

I don't think Tim is aging well. 

Exactly.  I don't know if Tim just doesn't have good people around him, but someone ought to really tell him that these repeated incidents are looking more and more like a pattern.  And not a good pattern.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 4

How does Tim know that Swapnil never called anyone about the tools?  I'm assuming that there was a contact number that Swapnil had and its entirely possible that he called that person and said "you know, its hard for me to get my tools on the plane because of the security process over here, is there any way I can get some when I get there?"  or something along those lines and was told not to worry about it.  

And in the end, Swapnil was right...the show did provide them with tools, so maybe Tim was just mad that no one made Swapnil go out and work the street corner to get a pair of scissors and a tape measure. 

I understand you are Swapnil's biggest fan, but IMO your first paragraph is quite a stretch after all these seasons and your second paragraph is an unfounded, hateful accusation.

• Love 4

I understand you are Swapnil's biggest fan, but IMO your first paragraph is quite a stretch after all these seasons and your second paragraph is an unfounded, hateful accusation.

My second paragraph is a joke.  And what exactly am I accusing Tim of that has you clutching your pearls?  Of being upset that Swapnil wasn't made to suffer for not having his supplies?  He said as much in his interview. 

I don't understand how my first paragraph would be a stretch.  Security is different in different countries, as are the procedures.  I'm not sure what the are in India, which is why I used the word possible.  It's hard to imagine a situation in which it was made clear to a designer that they had to bring their tools and the designer simply outright ignored that.  It makes much more sense for a reasonable person to have realized that there would be a problem and to make a call to whomever their show contact was.  To me, its more of a stretch to assume that someone who has tried out for this show 4 times knew that there was an immovable expectation that they bring their tools, but they just decided "F it, I'm not calling anyone, I'm not informing anyone, I'm just gonna show up with nothing" and two other designers did the exact same thing.  And magically, just out of sheer luck the PR team was able to find a way to get all of them supplies in a fairly short amount of time.  The fact that they were able to actually get them the supplies they needed so quickly also more points to Swapnil or any of the other designers having made a call ahead of time and they just milked on the first episode for dramatic effect.

I'm not clutching anything, your statement was that Tim expected Swapnil to work the street corner to get supplies. Didn't recognize it as a joke based on your disgust with Tim in a multitude of past posts.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 2

The RC post seems to have less to do with being a Swapnil cheerleader and more to do with a concern about Gunn's behavior and job description this season. She's certainly not alone. It's being discussed here quite a bit.

• Love 5

I'm not clutching anything, your statement was that Tim expected Swapnil to work the street corner to get supplies. Didn't recognize it as a joke based on your disgust with Tim in a multitude of past posts.

being disgusted by a situation and making jokes about it aren't mutually exclusive. 

• Love 4

Here's an online article by Andy Denhart of "Reality Blurred," on the no-wages policy for Project Runway models:

The models who walk the literal runway on Project Runway, showing off the designers’ garments, are not paid. Even worse, one model says the show has led to zero interest in her, even though she’s made it to the final four.

Clarissa Anderson, Michael’s latest model, tells OnMilwaukee.com that the experience sometimes involved 15-hour days, which meant she couldn’t work other jobs. “Just doing (‘Project Runway’) and not being able to do other jobs while doing that was hard for me. I had to beg parents for money because I simply had no income at all,” she said. “I was so busy with the show that I wasn’t really able to get other jobs through my agency because anything I did book I couldn’t do because we were probably filming that day.”

She said the models had to be on set “sometimes two days in a row, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., there all day.” All they received as compensation was food. And the rationale for all this work with no reward, she says, is totally false. “They say, it’s good exposure and everyone’s going to see you; just think of all the jobs you’ll get. I haven’t gotten many jobs because of it — like none,” Clarissa said.

At least they got to talk about their craft with Heidi Klum, right? Nope: at most, she says, Heidi would “pretty much just say hi.” That’s it. Tim Gunn, however, was more friendly. “That guy is a trip. Love that guy. I’ve never met anyone like him,” she said.

Forget unionizing Top Model writers: someone needs to take up their cause, because this is absurd. Seriously, Project Runway is NBC Universal’s most popular cable television program, and they can’t pay the models, the people who make the series possible? And the creator, executive producer, and host of the show is famous because she’s a model! I’m so appalled and angry I’m using exclamation points.

• Love 4

Didn't Merline flat out state that she had her tools with her but chose to leave them behind at the airport (too much baggage, I think? Yet she brought the hats.) assuming they'd be given tools when they arrived? Was she acting "entitled" as well?

• Love 5

I'm really disgusted with PR for not paying the models. They should get something, especially if they're expected to be there, sitting around doing nothing for over 12 hours, until they get called in to do their fittings. If they can't work elsewhere they should be compensated. It's as disgusting as PR using Tim's ignorance of reality TV to not pay him for two whole years until an agent approached Tim and made him realize he should be getting paid. I know it's a business and they probably thought, hey, as long as no one complains, we don't care, we'll make more money not paying Tim or the models. But I find that kind of mentality disgusting and unethical. 

• Love 5
I agree with Whimsey in that its disgusting that Tim is out there trying to throw every bit of dirt he can at Swapnil to forgive his own awful behavior, but Swapnil has been nothing but courteous and kind about Tim in his follow up interviews.  Tim thinks he is doing himself a favor by behaving this way, and he really isn't to me.

ITA.  The more Tim tries to justify himself the shriller and more ridiculous he sounds, given the ignoring, wink-winking, or encouragement of FAR, FAR, FAR more unprofessional behavior from some of Tim's favorites.  He is still accusing Swapnil of bothering the other designers, yet somehow Swapnil was apparently able to do this completely outside of camera range, and without the other designers even noticing they were being bothered. 

Tim just sounds... kinda crazy.  And vindictive.  And rigid.  Not qualities I'd want in a mentor or teacher.

And re the not bringing tools:  Two of the three were designers where English was not their first language.  Given that the contract must have some wording about things they can't bring, e.g., pattern books, is it so hard to believe Swapnil and David were not certain about what tools were allowed and what weren't?

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 2

Kelly or Edmund should have won. Candice I would have accepted but I think she was too heavy on the leather but her first outfit was amazing. Ashley had the worst cohesive collection and didn't deserve to win. Granted, I can't even sew but I don't think Ashley is anywhere near as talented as the other three. That was a disappointing ending to a finale.

I'm glad they picked up Juniors for another season.  I enjoyed that much more than I did the past few seasons of regular PR. Hopefully there will be another great group of kids. 

• Love 5
On 5/27/2016 at 6:32 AM, Indy said:

I'm glad they picked up Juniors for another season.  I enjoyed that much more than I did the past few seasons of regular PR. Hopefully there will be another great group of kids. 

Juniors was great.  I'm a little disappointed it only got one season when All-Stars got two.  Unless...maybe they'll let the kids go on that show.  They're sort of out of interesting former contestants, imho.  Why not tap into the kids' version?

Fashion Inc. is what I wish All-Stars could have been- former contestants working on their own lines competing for an infusion of cash and/or media attention.  I hope it's not too Shark Tank-y.

• Love 2
(edited)

They won't do it, but Fashion, Inc. would be appointment tv for me if we got to see  what the usual suspects would do if it was their money on the line. Is Isaac going to invest Isaac's money in Sam or Anthony Ryan? Would Tim trust Michelle with his retirement funds? 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Julia said:

They won't do it, but Fashion, Inc. would be appointment tv for me if we got to see  what the usual suspects would do if it was their money on the line. Is Isaac going to invest Isaac's money in Sam or Anthony Ryan? Would Tim trust Michelle with his retirement funds? 

I'd like that only if they couldn't back out of the deal. Otherwise I'm down for more real investors, or even fashion buyers although there was a show about that. 

I found Juniors to be refreshing, even Tim seemed rejuvenated. If nothing else I hope they cast better on the main show. I could probably deal with wonky judging if I felt like there was serious talent on display from people who wanted to be designers and not just people who wanted to be on the show. That's where Juniors nailed it, imho. The show was again about people working hard towards a bigger goal/dream. 

• Love 3

I think the original recipe show has just been phoning it in too often in the past few seasons for anybody to have any passion for it anymore.  Every other season seems to be a half-ass "All Stars" grouping of people we didn't like the first go round, much less want to see again.  The focus is on workroom drama and manufactured characters, not talent and fashion innovation. 

The 2nd and 3rd tier celebs they manage to drag in to "judge" range from not completely ignorant to blatantly offensive.  Heidi is tired, Nina is tired and Zac is basically their mascot, trying to prop them up. 

I am going to bypass any upcoming seasons excepting "Juniors".  I just can't take the weekly disappointment anymore.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, leighdear said:

I think the original recipe show has just been phoning it in too often in the past few seasons for anybody to have any passion for it anymore.  Every other season seems to be a half-ass "All Stars" grouping of people we didn't like the first go round, much less want to see again.  The focus is on workroom drama and manufactured characters, not talent and fashion innovation. 

The 2nd and 3rd tier celebs they manage to drag in to "judge" range from not completely ignorant to blatantly offensive.  Heidi is tired, Nina is tired and Zac is basically their mascot, trying to prop them up. 

I am going to bypass any upcoming seasons excepting "Juniors".  I just can't take the weekly disappointment anymore.  

and this is why I wish PR would just pack up their knives and leave already.  There is room for a great and innovative competitive reality show about fashion.  There is an audience for it, but its an audience that is stuck with lackluster Project Runway.  There have been some shows that have tried to compete and there have been some pretty big and cheesy failures (I'm looking at you Fashion Star).  But there is room for a great design show, and PR is no longer it.

I actually think a classier version of Fashion Star might be a good show.  A much, much, much classier version.  That show was a damn disaster, and having the "team concept" with a mentor has never been a good idea, because you always know that the eliminations are going to keep contestants in to keep each mentor in the game.  And the loud and bombastic "runway" shows were just geared to the lowest common denominator.  They also cannot get designers whose main ideas revolve around convertible clothing....just....no.  Get the Fashion Fund mailing list and call up a few of those designers.  I think that if they did something like Fashion Star in terms of having actual retailers as part of the mix, at least part of the time it would be interesting because I think with that show the retailers gave a lot of really good feedback about what would actually work.  And then did something more like PR with the contestants actually making and designing their own clothes for the workroom camaraderie it would be cool.  If you can get big time sponsors behind the show, you should have less concerns about money and therefore you should be able to increase the number of days to design from 1 day to 2-3 days like they did before.

• Love 3

What a gorgeous and obviously love-filled wedding!  So glad CSir had a wonderful day, as he's such an example of grace, manners and generosity.  I am DYING to see what Christina Hendricks was wearing, since it's so often one of his designs.  I hope somebody somewhere posts pics!

(edited)

Leslie looks awesome in the dress, but we all know that Christian probably designed that in about 20 minutes while organizing his wedding, as he is THAT talented and energetic!

I hope the names of the designers that turned her down "mysteriously" get leaked to the media, and the snots get taken down a peg.  Yes, designs that are not size 0 or samples can take a while, but what designer doesn't have a crapload of dress designs ready to scale up or down?  They ALL have those go-to designs they can throw some custom stuff on for a client in need.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2