Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway In the Media

• Start Topic

I would be surprised if the bought it back and then can it after 2 seasons. Even with lower ratings and no Emmy (and to be fair, the last few Emmy nomination on Lifetime where probably down to name recognition and not for the quality of of the show) it's still gonna make them money.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Aulty said:

I would be surprised if the bought it back and then can it after 2 seasons. Even with lower ratings and no Emmy (and to be fair, the last few Emmy nomination on Lifetime where probably down to name recognition and not for the quality of of the show) it's still gonna make them money.

Man, I hope not, this last season was wonderful and sane. That would make me sad. Going back to Bravo brought back actual fashion and a focus on fashion and positivity (ironically, the polar opposite of the real housewives and other types of shows on Bravo - which I watch - but don’t tell my friends). The last few seasons on Lifetime were awful.

However, I feel like Bravo wants things that cause the most drama versus actually understanding what their viewers want. I see that happening with the increased scripted drama on the real housewives (which is why I am started to give up).

• Love 8

This better stay on the air. I loved the last season lead by my babies Bishme and Christian.

It sounds like this was planted by Karlie’s team to hype her up as being so amazing that she’s leaving for other things. I thought she was the weakest part of the revamp.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, charming said:

It sounds like this was planted by Karlie’s team to hype her up as being so amazing that she’s leaving for other things. I thought she was the weakest part of the revamp.

after you wrote that I read the original "speculation" and I think you're onto something. That really looked like "rumors" specifically planted to make Karlie look like some big shot who has "much better things to do." Maybe she does, but for me, she was not all that.

• Love 9
On 7/28/2019 at 9:42 PM, charming said:

Indeed (heh), this sounds like a preemptive strike in the even Karlie gets canned.

For what it's worth, I thought she did a nice job in her first season as host.

• Love 4

Chris March was so much like my wonderful cousin Dan who we lost at 39 Due to prostate cancer - also much too early.

His designs were amazing and unique and his spirit was infectious- RIP Chris, I hope you and Dan hang out together on the other side.

It breaks my heart a little that his last couple of years were spent in nursing homes where he said in other articles that he was miserable.

Yeah, but he still let his sense of humor and creativity occasionally shine, even in those dark days...

chris-march-3.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I can't wait! It looks like some of the models from last season like Thijin will be back.

Christian is beyond fabulous with his quips.

The trailer makes the show look expensive with all of the glam location shots. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, charming said:

I can't wait! It looks like some of the models from last season like Thijin will be back.

Christian is beyond fabulous with his quips.

The trailer makes the show look expensive with all of the glam location shots. 

She was a fantastic model last season, glad to see her return.  I would love to see Khrystyana from America's Next Top Model one day as a regular PR model, she's fierce and adorable all at once.  She was in Margarita's final collection in season 16 and she knows Mimi.  

• Love 2
On 10/13/2019 at 9:42 AM, pasdetrois said:

So relieved this show will be back, and hope it maintains the new improved format.

Me too!  I really enjoyed it  - including all the judges, Karlie and Christian.  They did a good job re-casting.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6
On 10/13/2019 at 7:42 AM, pasdetrois said:

So relieved this show will be back, and hope it maintains the new improved format.

I started following one of the contestants for the new season, and she posted that she met up with another contestant for lunch. I'm hoping that they continue with the positivity among contestants that we saw last season too. Oh, and I'm hoping that it airs in Canada too (I'm talking to you, CTV Drama channel)!

• Love 3

Are they doing the mixed sizes again? I hope not. They should, of course, have plus models but in separate competitions, I think, because the designers with the smaller models have an unfair advantage. I know that's not very PC, but thin and heavier people cannot rock the same things. To each her own!

• Love 6

Did y'all see that Zac Posen is going out of business?  Wonder if he had a sale?  (LOL)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/zac-posen-closing-fashion-label-1251783

I agree that the models should be regular models (and I'm a plus sized woman).  For one thing watching the designers cringe is insulting, and for the other it does place a burden on them.  Perhaps they should alternate where all of the designers have a plus sized model every third week or so.  That would even the odds.

Even the plus sized designers seem to have problems designing for plus sized women.

Showcasing the designs for only super slender women/people, is akin to painting only in one color imo.  Yes, the art can be beautiful, but you're excluding an entire world of possibilities, and reducing the importance of all the other colors.

6 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Even the plus sized designers seem to have problems designing for plus sized women.

Mostly because they're simply using the same designs as for all other sizes, just making the patterns larger.  It's ridiculous and lazy.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Mostly because they're simply using the same designs as for all other sizes, just making the patterns larger.  It's ridiculous and lazy.

ITA - you can't just add a few inches to each side of the pattern and think that's enough to make the same design look good on a larger body.

There's a similar issue with clothes that are not redesigned for petite sizes. Some brands claim that they sell petite sizes but all they do is cut two inches off the bottom of the pants or sleeves which means the proportions are all off.

It's not just the amount of fabric you are using that has to be changed. You have to look at how the design fits the body, where it hits the bust, the waist, etc. and make adjustments in the pattern.

• Love 10

It doesn't help that petite is defined as 5'4" and below, so everything is made to fit at 5'4". I'm only 5' so most petites are actually too long. And, I'm also a plus size so finding clothes that fit correctly is a chore. I will only buy pants or skirts that are the right length for me now because I refuse to cuff (most of the time it looks terrible) or pay for alterations anymore. Some crop jeans actually come out right. I've had the best luck with Gloria Vanderbilt and Old Navy. The designers should have to do petites for a challenge.

• Love 4

Years ago, when Liz Claiborne was considered a better department store brand, I helped put on the annual Liz Claiborne fashion show and the companies representatives took the time to explain to my sales associates the proper differences between misses short and petite (rise). They also talked about the importance of attention to detail.  They didn't just cut off two inches, the resized for both petite and plus. Even going so far as to shrink (or enlarge) a pattern so it looked right. 

• Love 4

Although the chyrons had her being from Georgia, this article makes much of Asma's and Nancy's Philly roots.  Nancy says they became friendly.  I think Nancy seems to be someone who'd be friendly with everyone!

Edited by Jobiska

I apologize for how late this post is in relation to Chris March's death, but I just found out about it by reading the episode thread and came here to read the articles.

He will always be one of my most favorite contestants on this show and I feel that he was truly fashion-forward.  His humor, creativity, and kindness really stood out during his appearances on this show and in various articles I would read about him.  I am saddened by his death, but glad that I had the opportunity to see him on these shows.  

• Love 7
On 9/11/2019 at 5:32 PM, caitmcg said:

I had no idea he had been a costume designer for Beach Blanket Babylon, but that makes complete sense given his later creations.

Makes perfect sense. I heard that it's finally closed...or going to close? It's a corny show, but a lot of fun. I met a friend at the Irish pub next door before going to the show, and I still remember the Irish wolfhound sprawled out in the hallway by the Ladies'. Good times.

Re: plus sizes. One of the big problems with designing for larger women is boobs...No! not the designers. It's easier to create a flat-fronted garment. Much more difficult to fit curves.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, carrps said:

Makes perfect sense. I heard that it's finally closed...or going to close? It's a corny show, but a lot of fun. I met a friend at the Irish pub next door before going to the show, and I still remember the Irish wolfhound sprawled out in the hallway by the Ladies'. Good times.

Yeah, it did. I only went once (despite growing up in the Bay Area and living here again for the past 14 years), for a New Year's Eve show in the early '90s, so before his time. On NYE, they supplies party hats, bubbly, and chocolate truffles, along with the kitsch and SF jokes.

4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

From the link:  "Each week, two episodes will debut and the winning look of each episode will be available for purchase (each look will go for under $100) immediately after the show on Amazon in 200 territories where the series will be available."

I'll be short and sweet, as it appears that the show/competition will begin on March 27th, and finish on April 24.  I'm not much of a streamer, so this takes some getting used to.

p.s.:  This site has some info about the competing designers:

thefutoncritic

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

With the comments that Heidi and Tim are making about the rigid formula of Project Runway, I'm jumping to the conclusion that Making the Cut won't include "team" or "unconventional materials" challenges. If that turns out to be true, they have me at hello.

• Love 3

When he showed up on the last PR episode, he did say the CFDA mentor ship included help with preparing a collection, so I imagine he’s received guidance in how to shape it successfully. 

I admire ire his skills and he has some appealing designs, but there’s a bit too much reliance on satin for my personal taste.

• Love 1

Sebastian is, for me, the only one -except for Christian Siriano, of course- winner of PR who is the real deal in fashion/couture ! Those pieces are to die for and I LOVE the bags, belts, etc.... Beautiful, timeless and... so chic ! He's SO talented.

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 7

I've been thinking about Michael Costello lately, as it seemed to me that he had quite a hearty career going, post Runway.  I'm not a fayshun insider, but I can't recall seeing or reading much about him of late.  I went to The Google, and came up with this runway show from LAFW last fall, showing his Spring/Summer 2020 show.  For me, it's kind of awful.  I'll see what you all think. 

p.s.:  Sheer is definitely the thing! 

• Useful 4
On 2/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've been thinking about Michael Costello lately, as it seemed to me that he had quite a hearty career going, post Runway.  I'm not a fayshun insider, but I can't recall seeing or reading much about him of late.  I went to The Google, and came up with this runway show from LAFW last fall, showing his Spring/Summer 2020 show.  For me, it's kind of awful.  I'll see what you all think. 

Oh, dear. If I could have gotten screengrabs to comment on, this would be a very, very long post. The short(ish) version if memory serves:

• the first dress has many of this PR season's tropes: asymmetry, a strap, one shoulder, a giant puffy sleeve, plus sheer (vaht is dis sheeearr?)
  • around 2:30, a dress with a trail of some sort of applique that leads to the model's crotch
  • at about minute 4, the fabric makes the model look like she has a horrific skin disease
  • the sole token plus size model's dress is horribly ill-fitting, she looks like she's stuffed into a sausage casing
  • the very next look had pasties that made the model's breasts look lopsided AND wall-eyed
  • a couple of gowns after that, the sheer + whatever makes the model look like she sharted

There's more but you get the idea. The whole thing seems pretty much a mess to me.

Thanks @SuprSuprElevated for letting me see what I can't unsee. LOL

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Oh, dear. If I could have gotten screengrabs to comment on, this would be a very, very long post. The short(ish) version if memory serves:

• the first dress has many of this PR season's tropes: asymmetry, a strap, one shoulder, a giant puffy sleeve, plus sheer (vaht is dis sheeearr?)
  • around 2:30, a dress with a trail of some sort of applique that leads to the model's crotch
  • at about minute 4, the fabric makes the model look like she has a horrific skin disease
  • the sole token plus size model's dress is horribly ill-fitting, she looks like she's stuffed into a sausage casing
  • the very next look had pasties that made the model's breasts look lopsided AND wall-eyed
  • a couple of gowns after that, the sheer + whatever makes the model look like she sharted

There's more but you get the idea. The whole thing seems pretty much a mess to me.

Thanks @SuprSuprElevated for letting me see what I can't unsee. LOL

Yes, the "plus sized" model's dress was an abomination.  It's a classic example of taking the pattern from a size 0 and just expanding it.  It wasn't fit to the model.  I'm certain she was horribly embarrassed to walk in that mess.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes, the "plus sized" model's dress was an abomination.  It's a classic example of taking the pattern from a size 0 and just expanding it.  It wasn't fit to the model.  I'm certain she was horribly embarrassed to walk in that mess.

I thought most of the models looked pissed off. Not like "fierce" model face, but literally angry. I kept imagining what kind of shitshow must be going on behind the scenes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4