Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

42 minutes ago, rcc said:

I don't like Willie, Craig or Carson. Someone new would be nice. Megyn can stay on her show. 

I agree.  Someone new would be nice.  Heck, I'd take Thomas Roberts or Peter Alexander.  

In any event, I'd rather it be a man because I like the male/female dynamic better.  

• Love 5
20 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

It will be interesting to see how the show changes post-Matt.  I never watched Hours 1-3 (ever....just never turn on the TV in the AM), but started watching Hour Four when it began it's Late Night Replays several years ago.  Now I tape the Hoda-KLG host chat every day.

I will admit to a KLG weakness, having watched her since Time Magazine labeled the first 15 minutes of "Live with Regis and Kathie Lee" as the best show on TV in 1987. And it was amazingly good TV. She was always a prima donna and watching her evolve through the Kathie Me years was always fun, annoying, and entertaining.  From the Original Jan Hooks SNL impersonation to the mocking grudging respect of Letterman to the really mean-spirited Kristin Wiig drunken KLG version.  From Kathie Lee Casuals and "If They Could See Me Now" Cruise Ads and Sweatshops and Frank Humiliating her and Cody House and Cassidy Place.  Her XMAS specials became howlingly fun entertainment.  I recall clips being shown in Gay Bars in DC to rapt attention and howling jeers.  Every year, the TV critic for the Washington Post (Tom Shales) would review it on Page 1 of the Life section.

For me, KLG has always been that wacky aunt whom you love dearly, wish she would tone it down, but secretly glad she never does.  I loathe many of the religious *leaders* she idolizes.  But I don't really hate her because I understand it's what gets her through her days and nights.  Like my own real-life uber-religious wacky aunt, I'll love her to death, but don't preach at me or tell me I am sinful/evil/bad or snark under your breath that your way is the only way.  Respect that what works for you may not work for others.  It's sorta how America used to be. It's OK to share a bit about your personal journey, but don't drag/coerce/encourage me to be on that road, or that it is the ONLY road.

With Matt gone, one idea has been that Hoda and Savannah will be permanent co-hosts of the main two hours.  I don't think they will move a male into Matt's role anytime soon. And Hoda is known to be highly coveted by NBC management.  That would be a LOT of airtime for Hoda.  Given how KLG now seems focused on her other career choices (religious songs, writing plays, producing movies), I wonder if the real change could be coming to Hour Four.  Hoda can't do 3 hours of live TV a day forever, especially with her recent family focus.  If NBC wants Hoda front and center, I hope her agent plays some big time hardball and gets her a big chunk of the money that Matt Lauer left behind.

Hour 1+2 are vastly more important to NBC than Fourth Hour.

ETA: Time to dig out my KLG XMAS CD !!!!

I agree about everything you said about KLG in the past .  I also really think she probably is a very nice friend to those she cares about , and she also tries to be a good person .   But.. there is something way more seriously wrong about her texting a man who attacked women and ruined their careers and telling him she “adores” him, and basically having very little sympathy for the  victims.  I doubt she would be singing that tune If her daughter was assaulted by some high powered person in entertainment.

Also, she is so quick to forgive Matt, but she had no problem retweeting a racist angry post  about the not guilty verdict That involved an  illegal immigrant  in California. She also sang, smiled and introduced a man who bragged about sexual assault , insults and name calls , and just last week fake  videos from a neo Nazi that we’re anti Muslim, and created another international problem .

I agree that we used to be able to just disagree, but there are some lines now that are being crossed like neo Nazi posts that the man she supports defends , and also the fact that she is all about forgiveness unless it is someone isn’t a white male  who isn’t from s religion she doesn’t support .

i also remember her gushing about Anita Bryant who was very anti gay.

i think there is a side of KL. That reminds me very much of Dr Laura. They both defend boys and men and are not supportive of their own gender and have racist tendencies .

She constantly brings up the fact that Hoda is Egyptian, as is she’s not a real American, and she also has to keep mocking her baby for eating or being fat ! 

I used to be able to ignore the obnoxious side of KL because she can be entertaining, now she’s crossed a line and I don’t care to watch her anymore .

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 12
48 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I agree.  Someone new would be nice.  Heck, I'd take Thomas Roberts or Peter Alexander.  

In any event, I'd rather it be a man because I like the male/female dynamic better.  

Peter Alexander. YES!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, orangekit said:

That reminds me very much of Dr Laura. They both defend boys and men and are not supportive of their own gender and have racist tendencies .

Yes!  My gosh, haven't thought about Dr Laura in years.  I'm surprised that TPTB at Today/NBC don't tell KLG to tone down the religion.  She's kind of fun when not preaching.  Defending/"forgiving" Matt Lauer is just too out there.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 4

I will admit to a KLG weakness, having watched her since Time Magazine labeled the first 15 minutes of "Live with Regis and Kathie Lee" as the best show on TV in 1987.

I’m probably the only person who remembers her on “Name That Tune.” She would sing a few bars of the songs after the contestant would guess the title (or something along those lines....I loved that show because I knew most of the songs and, after hearing the description, could name them in very few notes. It was one of the skills I picked up from hearing Muzak all day long at my father’s dental practice). She’s come a very long way. Yes, she was pretty obnoxious even in the 70’s.

• Love 1

UGH!  I thought Kathie Lee had mellowed and learned not to be so  self righteous after her “love machine”, as she used to call Frank, did a flight attendant and was filmed by a tabloid, but I was wrong !

I was liking her in this hour is Today until recently . If seems like they have given her a lot of creative control over the show . I always hated that sappy “Everybody Has a Story”, but overall the show was fun.

Now we have KL preaching and singing Christian songs - blech! Sorry but I find her voice awful . She sounds like a bad telethon singer , and her songs don’t belong on a show like today , neither does her preaching .  I think she needs to find a network that is religious and a right wing network so she can gush about her buddy in the White House , sing sappy songs and preach with the sexist old fashioned victim blaming . But if NBC  ever got rid of her , they would have right wingers freaking out.  Maybe she will just find her niche somewhere else and spare Hoda and the rest of us anymore her annoying self . At this point Jenna looks good !

i agree that she has now crossed a line that is very different and serious . Kissing up to Matt and not worrying about the women who were hurt, kissing up to the grabber in chief who spews hate and lies and posts fake videos about other religions online, and retweeting  right wing supporters who can’t accept a verdict about an illegal immigrant is going to far .  She is showing her true colors and they are just too much for me to ignore anymore .

• Love 8

I kind of like Everyone Has a Story.  I laugh at the corny songs that all sound the same, but am touched by how touched some of the families are by it.  Remember when she sang the songs herself?  I'm glad she decided to let other singers sing the songs.

My favorite EHaS was the upbeat Black church gospel style song, but since it was written by KLG it didn't really sound like gospel at all.  The woman who was the recipient of the song did not look pleased.

I’m conservative, a Republican, so let’s try to keep the politics off this forum. Agree to disagree. 

i think KLG has her funny moments. They obviously let her have free reign on what she says. I did not agree with her (or Savannah or Hoda) lamenting about their “dear dear friend Matt” while barely mentioning the victims. I also am tired of her religious ramblings. I’m surprised they haven’t asked her to tone it down. Maybe because her religious song she wrote after Frank died was a hit, NBC told her to go for it.

• Love 2

I rarely watch Today anymore but did tune in to see Claire Foy and Matt Smith talk about The Crown this morning.  I realized after the interview was over that I heard a lot more of Hoda talking than either of the actors. Is that the usual thing with her?

• Love 2

For those who might think that Meagain will take over the reins at the Today Show, there’s this from the NY Post Page Six:

Meanwhile, we’re told that Kelly isn’t a viable savior for NBC. She was hired by the network amid great fanfare for a reported $23 million a year, but she just had the worst November sweeps ratings of any in the history of the 9 a.m. hour of “Today” — across all demos.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

For those who might think that Meagain will take over the reins at the Today Show, there’s this from the NY Post Page Six:

Meanwhile, we’re told that Kelly isn’t a viable savior for NBC. She was hired by the network amid great fanfare for a reported $23 million a year, but she just had the worst November sweeps ratings of any in the history of the 9 a.m. hour of “Today” — across all demos.

I think a lot of the problem is the format - so stale.

17 hours ago, Mrsjumbo said:

. I also am tired of her religious ramblings. I’m surprised they haven’t asked her to tone it down. Maybe because her religious song she wrote after Frank died was a hit, NBC told her to go for it.

I had not heard that she wrote a song.  Hearing that must be an experience. 

21 hours ago, Mrsjumbo said:

I’m conservative, a Republican, so let’s try to keep the politics off this forum. Agree to disagree. 

I could say that naming one's political affiliation is doing just that--having politics in the forum.  However, I do agree that politics shouldn't be the topic of discussion here.

Back on topic, I'll be glad when they do name a replacement for Matt and I hope this doesn't drag on too much longer.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Tanichka said:

I think a lot of the problem is the format - so stale.

On principle I hadn't watched Megan's show, but a couple days this week I left it on while doing other things.  Geez, that show is so boring!  None of the guests or their stories were compelling enough to make me stop and listen.  And Megan's lighter segments (crafts, cooking) were terrible.  She has no warmth or ability to connect with the audience, but instead her banter was forced and stilted.  I know KLG has many faults, but she is so much more natural on camera.

• Love 4

Regarding the Frank tribute, above:  "I knew somethin' was wrong, he was lyin' on the floor, he was in a better place."  OMG - thank you for posting this!!!  How on earth could they let her sing this on Today?  I wonder how Hoda kept a straight face?  

An aside:  Skinny, old ladies shouldn't wear sleeveless dresses.

• Love 2

Supposedly ratings are up right now with Hoda in the fill in seat, so they will probably keep her for a while.  Unpopular opinion but I like Hoda.  I think she can do the straight news but still let loose in the later hour of the show and it all seems natural.  I only watch the first hour while I'm getting ready for work and then listen on Sirius while I'm driving to work.  I've been watching daily for years and I actually think the ladies handled everything very well.  I didn't see any of the hysterics I've seen mentioned on other posts.  Kathie Lee was a little over the top but I expect that from her.  I think Savannah and Hoda are doing great.  As a permanent replacement I would like to see either Willie or Craig.  I strongly dislike Meghan but I can see them doing that as well.  I like the two female co anchors dynamic, but Hoda won't be able to do this and still do H&KL permanently.  I don't think they will pick a permanent cohost anytime soon.

• Love 3

Just happened to wonder - what will they do for that segment that they do at the end of every year where they look back at all the "fun" they have had over the year?  Will they just make no reference to Matt at all?  Whatever they do it'll be awkward!

• Love 7

Is this the forum for Megyn Kelly's shit show? Because I hate watched it for the first time, just to hear the stories of the three women accusing Trump of sexual harassment. Kelly specifically asked the eldest lady why she thought 50 some percent of white women voted for Trump in the presidential election. The lady said she felt that those women did not want to vote for a woman. Meg completely dismissed the woman and cut her off by saying something along the lines of "Yeah I don't know about that." Excuse you? Are you asking her the question or yourself, Meg? And way to have a show where women said they felt attacked and dismissed, and then dismiss your guest. 

• Love 5

Megyn Kelly doesn't know how to do a tone that's anything other than confrontational.  I expect nothing less from the woman who called a child body slammed by a cop "no angel either".  But I guess NBC finally letting Megyn be Megyn instead cuddly and bubbly is working, her ratings are slowly going up.  I'll never be able to stand her due to her shtick from when she was on Fox, but good for her I suppose.

Today wins in the ratings for the second straight week.

They should try Hoda out as co-anchor for a few more months, and if that works out, either scrap KLG & Hoda completely and make Kathie Lee a correspondent or try Kathie Lee out with Jenna or Dylan or someone.  That corny "Everyone Has a Story" can be tacked on on any hour after 7:00.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

hey should try Hoda out as co-anchor for a few more months, and if that works out, either scrap KLG & Hoda completely and make Kathie Lee a correspondent or try Kathie Lee out with Jenna or Dylan or someone. 

Brilliant suggestion!  It's win-win.

• Love 2

I don't get to watch the first hour. Does Hoda do all that annoying "Whaaaat?"-ing there, too? God, I hate that crap. It's getting as bad as Whoopi hollering "Welcome to The View!" forty seven flipping times over on that show.

• Love 2

Hoda looked like an idiot today wearing that sleeveless dress when it looked so cold in NYC (it's 16 degrees with wind chill in DC so I imagine it's about the same there).  I know it might be warm in the studio, but she still looked stupid sitting up there.   I noticed the other women were wearing sleeves.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Hoda looked like an idiot today wearing that sleeveless dress when it looked so cold in NYC

Women on TV who wear sleeveless, sheaths - pet peeve of mine.  For early shows, how about pants & a long or 3/4 sleeve top?  I think men choose the wardrobe.  I remember Jed Bila saying at Fox that they had a room full of sleeveless, tight dresses to choose from.

• Love 4

I forget what morning it was, but I noticed Savannah wearing pants!  Yay, it was cold outside and pants and a coat are sensible.  I hate the sleeveless dresses too, and then when they go outside and they have bare legs and high heels and complain about how cold it is!

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I hate the sleeveless dresses too, and then when they go outside and they have bare legs and high heels and complain about how cold it is!

Why are the men not wearing t-shirts & bermuda shorts?  I long for the day when women wore blazers and/or suits - or was that just on The Mary Tyler Moore Show?  I just wish women on TV would look more polished and professional.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Why are the men not wearing t-shirts & bermuda shorts?  I long for the day when women wore blazers and/or suits - or was that just on The Mary Tyler Moore Show?  I just wish women on TV would look more polished and professional.

I think the whole purpose of the bare arms is to show off how "toned" they are.  Just sayin'.

• Love 5

I thought the whole sleeveless (no matter what the temperature or season) look started and came in with Michelle Obama. I was hoping it would go out with her, too.

I don’t have anything against women wearing sleeveless clothing, I just think during colder temperatures, they can find attractive clothing more appropriate for the season. 

• Love 2

I never understood wearing sleeveless dresses when it is freezing.   The men are in long sleeve shirts, vests, suit jacket and long pants and the women are sitting there in summer dresses and bare legs complaining about how cold it is.  It always seemed to me that whoever picked their outfit was purposely trying to make them look like they were not smart enough to dress sensibly.    Maybe now that women are feeling more empowered it will give them more confidence to just say no.

• Love 5

I like Hoda a lot. I hope she gets to stay in the co-host seat.  I think she can be serious enough to carry the more heavy stories and the news.  She is light hearted enough to be the goofy, up for anything emcee for the fun segments as well.  KL either needs to stay where she is, and maybe rotate in other people to play off her brand of "goofy", or be gone from her permanent gig & only do "roving reporter" stuff to tell all the stories with the "Christian" spin she embraces.  And for the love of whichever God KL prays to: no. more. singing. ever.

Did anyone watch this morning's segment with the "etiquette expert"?  Why was he dressed like Greg Brady?  And how is "try to say at least one nice thing about a dud gift you receive" expert - level etiquette advice?  Isn't that common practice most people (born before 1999) had ingrained in their brains from childhood?  And as for those born after 1999, they aren't really the audience for Today.  Nor would they take advice from a guy wearing a 1972 turtle neck and perm.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I like Hoda a lot. I hope she gets to stay in the co-host seat.  I think she can be serious enough to carry the more heavy stories and the news.  She is light hearted enough to be the goofy, up for anything emcee for the fun segments as well.  KL either needs to stay where she is, and maybe rotate in other people to play off her brand of "goofy", or be gone from her permanent gig & only do "roving reporter" stuff to tell all the stories with the "Christian" spin she embraces.  And for the love of whichever God KL prays to: no. more. singing. ever.

Did anyone watch this morning's segment with the "etiquette expert"?  Why was he dressed like Greg Brady?  And how is "try to say at least one nice thing about a dud gift you receive" expert - level etiquette advice?  Isn't that common practice most people (born before 1999) had ingrained in their brains from childhood?  And as for those born after 1999, they aren't really the audience for Today.  Nor would they take advice from a guy wearing a 1972 turtle neck and perm.

It was jarring when I first saw him, but he really did pull it off and the items he chose to illustrate different gifting situations were pretty clever.....

On Megyn Kelly.  18 years ago a 24 year old had a consensual affair with Matt Lauer in hopes of getting noticed in a career move.   Oh come on.  She said it was an abuse of power.  Well ok but she intentionally went after it.  This is going too far.  He has been fired.  She is jumping on the band wagon for reasons only known to her.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, goldenpuppy said:

Is the “what? “ thing popular with Hoda an KL’s audience ? I find it annoying and so stupid ! Today they did it at least 4 times when chatting and when they were showing funny picture of animals ! 

It is like a new toy for them.  They have done this in the past and have forgotten the phrase, thankfully. 

Decades ago the phrase "are we having fun yet?" came out.  A good friend of mine latched onto that and said it repeatedly during card games and we played together all the time!  I finally said, "I will be when you stop saying that."  

• Love 2

I watched today and wow it was annoying and unintentionally hilarious!

First was the annoying “what...?” being repeated over and over !  

Then came Kathie Lee’s annoying blabbing about how her son is “taking care “ of her ? Seriously ? I am sure her kids love her but they went away as far as they could as soon as they were out of high school ! Not that I blame them she seems like she tries to be a good person? But the obsessive preaching, bible quotes and life lessons has to be overwhelming for anyone who is around her too much ! I always wonder if Frank finally got sick of the holy holy home and he finally got freaky with another !

The hillarious part was that cringeworthy song

from Kathie Lee’s  new show about David and Goliath !  Is that really going to be on Broadway? 

There was some talented kind s from Broadway singing some KL song! As with all of her songs, it was  religious , corny and so bad it was good on a funny way! To top it off, Kathie Lee had a ridiculous looking hat that looked like a sheep on her head ! WTF?  It was as priceless!

I am sure the Bible helps Kathie Lee, but some therapy from someone other than a minister might do her good ! Then again, her wacky , out there personally is entertaining when it isn’t annoying !

And when was it decided that “spanky Tuesday “ was no longer a thing?   Aww that’s so sad that Kathie Lee can’t chase Hoda while slapping h r in the ass !  

I wonder how long before NBC finally takes some control away from Kathie Lee. She’s Turing the show into an almost daily religious preaching chat and a place to sing her corny songs !  

• Love 2