Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

NBC is sure peddling the show constanly. They must be really nervous about it

Oh, its going to be the biggest trainwreck of all time. Look at what happened with The Sound of Music.  At least Carrie Underwood is a professional singer who didn't get the job because of who her Daddy is.  Plus, with Alison Williams lecturing people not to hate watch - she is just asking for the criticism.

God that "Mom and Gracie" or whatever. Between the two of them, "like" must've been used about 50 thousand times. I have a real problem with people pimping their kids out on the internet. They all say "Oh it just started out as a fun family thing to do!!!" but they can't convince me the dollar signs weren't in front of their hopeful eyes from jump. Sure, there have been child actors since TV was created, but the exposure to crazies is far wider now via the internet. Do these people ever think about their kids' safety? The accessibility of the internet has created a "I can be famous overnight!!" attitude and a whole new population of narcissists that want to believe ever single thing they think, do and say is vitally important. GAH.

• Love 1

Watching this morning was just a reminder of how the weekend hosts are far superior to the weekday hosts.

I find Erica Hill a little cold, like Campbell Brown, but I prefer her to Savannah. Love Lester, and Shenelle is a good addition to the show. I can only take small doses of Jenna.

Does anyone get the feeling that they're pulling a Curry on Natalie? They're sending her on a lot out-of-town assignments.

• Love 1

Kudos to all of them this morning, especially Al, for snorting at the "news from across the pond" that the basketball player did not obey protocol by putting his arm around Kate Middleton for a picture!  It is such nonsense and they conveyed that is what they thought too.  

• Love 2
I'm with the Brits on this one. I wouldn't want some stank, sweaty dude touching me under any circumstances.

Then why did they pose for a picture with him?  LeBron is so much taller that them that it seemed only natural that he would reach down and put his arm around her shoulder.  It's not like he gave her a bear hug.  Plus, she didn't seem peeved at all.  Also, "stank, sweaty dude" probably freshened up some before taking the picture. 

The Brits who are upset need to get over themselves.  But not to worry, their precious couple will be home soon.  And it's too bad some Brits are clutching their pearls and their ascots because the couple seems friendly and not stuffy at all, and they seemed to be enjoying themselves over here.

• Love 3

*puts on mod cap* Ok Chattygal and Ohwell, I see that this thread is getting rather heated. Please dial it back a couple of notches. It's not worth going back and forth over people being sweaty or not.

Any violators will have their posts deleted without notice. Any continuing from there will result in a formal warning and a warning point on your account(s).

He works as a professional basketball player and it's physical work. He was trying to be a good example and greet the royals. They most likely went up to him and greeted him. This is not an issue that's worth arguing over.*/takes off mod cap*

• Love 3

WHY did they let Savannah interview the former CIA chief about the torture report? It was like watching a bunny try to fight a tiger. He got to say whatever he wanted to say and she just sat there and looked like she would cry. Matt looked disgusted when he ended it by saying "Moving on..." Sad.Grim.Pathetic.

• Love 1

WHY did they let Savannah interview the former CIA chief about the torture report? It was like watching a bunny try to fight a tiger. He got to say whatever he wanted to say and she just sat there and looked like she would cry. Matt looked disgusted when he ended it by saying "Moving on..." Sad.Grim.Pathetic.

I don't understand WTH is wrong with Savannah. She is an attorney and cut her teeth reporting from Capitol Hill. I expected more from her, espcially when she's called upon to interview high-level politicians. Doing a good job on the Today show means being able to straddle the fence between covering pop culture and hard news.

• Love 3

I see you guys are interested in a Jenna Wolfe thread and a Tamron Hall one.

I'm willing to set them up on one condition: That you guys don't over act in there. I understand that some of you don't like either host, but lets keep it to just civil discussion with some snark in between.

Cross the line, and the threads will be locked without warning.

Why are they rehashing the "highlights " of the Today Show for 2014? It really wasn't that great. Do we need to be reminded that a once good morning show has gone down the toilet? I'm depressed enough already.

• Love 5

So yesterday's segment about the Waze app redirecting people. Someone help me understand why this is a new story. Did I miss something because all I heard was "Boy it's super annoying that people cutting through out neighborhood as a short cut". I mean this is a hazard of living anywhere near congested roads, people will try to find another way around and guess what, please have been doing that long before apps. I'm sure it's not ideal, but why is this being presented as some shocking news story?

"Why are they rehashing the "highlights " of the Today Show for 2014? It really wasn't that great. Do we need to be reminded that a once good morning show has gone down the toilet? I'm depressed enough already."

Because the "highlights" are all about themselves, which is what they love most. And they assume everyone loves them as much they love

themselves.

• Love 5

Is anyone but themselves looking forward to this "Today the musical"? I'm avoiding the show knowing it is coming..... Awful! Regis has lost his appeal, and Kathie Lee's musical taste is outdated for Broadway, even cabaret at this point.

• Love 3

Is anyone but themselves looking forward to this "Today the musical"? I'm avoiding the show knowing it is coming..... Awful! Regis has lost his appeal, and Kathie Lee's musical taste is outdated for Broadway, even cabaret at this point.

. OMG it was embarrassing! What was the point? I think Kathie Lee always wants to think that she is some kind of Broadway song writer. She's awful with that sappy Everyone Has a Story- this was even worse! Poor Regis, I loved him on Live, but this was weird! They need to never listen to Kathie Lee's ideas again! Edited by orangekit
  • Love 6

Not surprising that in the highlights they showed Chris Christie accused of involvement in the bridge closure scandal, but did not show that he was cleared of any participation or knowledge about it.

• Love 1

I stopped watching this about a month ago and did a quick drive by this morning to witness the most ridiculous spot on espresso, ever.  They know they are on the bottom of the morning pack why are they not changing anything?  Gah.

Not surprising that in the highlights they showed Chris Christie accused of involvement in the bridge closure scandal, but did not show that he was cleared of any participation or knowledge about it.

He hasn't been cleared yet. There is still a Federal investigation going on.

• Love 6

I taped the whole show yesterday to see the interview with Angelina Jolie & there was Josh Elliott!!!  Is he permanent?  I thought he left GMA to do sports on ESPN or something???  Anyone know?

Elliott came out of ESPN (transitioning to GMA courtesy ABC owning both properties). He's been trying to move into 'serious' news for a while. 

Late reply (sorry) but my understanding was his career path was ESPN to GMA.  When he didn't renew his GMA contract but signed on w/NBC, IIRC they indicated he was hired primarily for Today but couldn't appear b/c of a noncompete clause in his previous contract.  Apparently he could, however, work for NBC Sports so they eased him into the network that way until the clause expired.  (Sounds like it did.)  They indicated when he was hired, again IIRC, that he was expected to be on the Lauer potential replacement list if Matt doesn't renew.

• Love 1

From the Daily Beast:  What's With Tamron, Willie, Al, and Natalie? The Tense Mess of 'Today's' Third Hour

I don't hate Today's Take, but yeah, it wouldn't hurt if the hour was either revamped or made to resemble the first two hours of Today.  Hour three is strange and is most likely not working with most viewers.

And anyway, why are the powers that be at Today so afraid of making any sort of change to the show?  They aren't going to get back the ratings crown if they keep on doing what they're doing.

• Love 1

If I'm working from home I usually just keep the Today show on through H&KLG. I will say, I find the third hour really awkward most of the time. I don't think the four of them like each other much. Their chemistry is just way off. I'm not sure how they revamp without switching out some of the cast.

• Love 1

Natalie Morales is a very competent news reader and a solid news anchor. But she seems really uncomfortable doing the fluffy stuff. Tamron is a good interviewer, but she annoys the hell out of me when she does anything other than serious news. Willie just seems like he'd rather be anywhere else. I used to see him on Morning Joe all the time and he seemed more comfortable and natural in that setting. Al needs to turn it waaaaay down.

Host Chat is an art form. Everyone thinks they can be Regis & KLG.

• Love 1

I agree, I don't think any of those four are particularly adept during the third hour.  They could all be dumped and kept in their primary roles at Today and/or MSNBC for my part.

I was thinking one solution could be if they insist on keeping Hoda in KLG/fourth hour hell, why not also give her the third hour.  Make Hoda the moderator of the third hour and find some folks that she can build a rapport and chemistry with, it couldn't be any worse than what they're doing now.

Edited by junemeatcleaver

From the Daily Beast:  What's With Tamron, Willie, Al, and Natalie? The Tense Mess of 'Today's' Third Hour

I don't hate Today's Take, but yeah, it wouldn't hurt if the hour was either revamped or made to resemble the first two hours of Today.  Hour three is strange and is most likely not working with most viewers.

And anyway, why are the powers that be at Today so afraid of making any sort of change to the show?  They aren't going to get back the ratings crown if they keep on doing what they're doing.

Well problem could be solved quite simply get rid of 2 of them in that hour.  There is absolutely no need to have 4 freaking people all jockeying to make sure they get enough air time.  Definitely get rid of Al...there is way too much of him already.  Willie and either one of the ladies would work much better.  They really don't need all those people.  It's stupid, but then again the entire show is stupid and 4 hours of stupid is just too much.

• Love 1

Late reply (sorry) but my understanding was his [Josh Elliott] career path was ESPN to GMA.  When he didn't renew his GMA contract but signed on w/NBC, IIRC they indicated he was hired primarily for Today but couldn't appear b/c of a noncompete clause in his previous contract.  Apparently he could, however, work for NBC Sports so they eased him into the network that way until the clause expired.  (Sounds like it did.)  They indicated when he was hired, again IIRC, that he was expected to be on the Lauer potential replacement list if Matt doesn't renew.

Those were the rampant rumors, but they were steadfastly denied by NBC and Elliott. Here's just one example. All throughout, he maintained that he wanted to get back into sports and especially to do the Olympics. The rumors never stopped about his eventually replacing Lauer, but I think they may actually be grooming him to be Bob Costas's eventual replacement, even if Costas never seems to age. You really don't see too much of Elliott on Today- he has a much bigger presence on NBC Sports- so if they're grooming him to replace Lauer, they're doing it in a strange way.

I thought this was spot on. One wonders if the Today producers will take note.

Well problem could be solved quite simply get rid of 2 of them in that hour.  There is absolutely no need to have 4 freaking people all jockeying to make sure they get enough air time.  Definitely get rid of Al...there is way too much of him already.  Willie and either one of the ladies would work much better.  They really don't need all those people.  It's stupid, but then again the entire show is stupid and 4 hours of stupid is just too much.

As I recall, this is how the 4th hour kind of started out before they hired Kathie Lee Gifford- I think it was Ann Curry, Natalie Morales, Hoda Kotb, and a 4th guest host sitting around the table chatting about various news pieces. It wasn't working, so they eventually recruited Kathie Lee to work with Hoda, which was seen as a kind of desperation move because the prior format wasn't working. So it's really weird that they're essentially going back to that format.

Jill Martin is doing the decluttering makeovers. Jenna Bush is complaining that space is at a premium in her bathroom. Jenna has a 2 shelf cabinet.

Jill Martin uses about 1/3 of the lower shelf for a mason jar with flowers, & a candle, & on the top shelf there is a picture frame & decorative bird! Way to be practical. You know Jenna has taken those things out already.

Edited by Mrsjumbo