Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

On 6/13/2017 at 1:05 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'm in the minority but that's okay. I liked Miranda and Steve together, and the opposites attracting deal. I'll concede I liked Steve more as originally envisioned (reading Hemingway, the Blue Moon scene) and agree he could be trying by the end.

But I think Miranda could be just as imperfect, and their troubles weren't all on Steve. Shrug.

I thought Robert was fine on paper, but he seemed to be a void of blahness, to me on screen, better looks/career or not. But, again, I realize I'm in the minority!

I liked Miranda and Steve together but I also liked Robert.  

I guess when you break it down, all the couples were instances of opposites attracting, not just Miranda and Steve.  Big was a Wall Street hotshot while Carrie was a flighty sex writer for a small paper.  Charlotte was a Methodist (I think?) while Harry was Jewish; Trey was more her type in looks while Harry was not AT ALL.  Smith was a young struggling actor working as a server and presented in the beginning as a bit dim while Sam was older, established and running her own PR firm.  

Out of these, only Charlotte married men that would have been considered her "equal."  Trey was a doctor; Harry, an attorney.  

On 6/15/2017 at 6:22 PM, chitowngirl said:

I loved Miranda's wedding-Simple, low key ceremony in a little park & beautiful dress.

I agree.  Her wedding was my favorite out of Charlotte's two and Big and Carrie's cancelled one and eventual one at City Hall.  Miranda's was intimate, personal and without overblown fanfare.  It was about her and Steve.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, BBHN said:

I think this was one of my favorite Samanthan moments ("You bitch. Lets go").

I loved this scene. I really liked Miranda/Charlotte/Samantha friendship scenes in any combination and wished we had more of them. Those women could really bust out of their archetype to meet their friend's different tastes and values when it really mattered. Carrie had good friendship scenes but it increasingly felt like her friends paying homage to their Queen Bee but Carrie remaining the same. 

• Love 7

I loved it too although Samantha was just waiting for an excuse to get the hell outta Dodge.

"Samantha, I like your outfit!"

"You bitch; let's go!"

I believe that, like many real life friendships, that Carrie is the glue in that circle.  I'm not sure Sam and Miranda or Sam and Charlotte would spend that much time together as a twosome without Carrie there too.

• Love 3

It's tricky. I do think Samantha can act like both Charlotte and Miranda are too square for her in their own ways and acts like the fun and pizazz in the group all comes from her and Carrie as the bombshell minor celebrity sexual anthropologist. But Cynthia Nixon really plays Miranda as incredibly fond of Samantha and almost fan-girling her at times but not as much as Carrie. So, I think Miranda would have pushed for a friendship with Samantha even with Carrie out of the picture but Charlotte wouldn't. 

Actually, I don't think Charlotte or Miranda would be friends early in the series without the group. However there, I feel like the one more likely to push for it would be Charlotte. But by the end of the series, they had the most in common. Then I'd think they'd naturally pair off away from Carrie and Samantha without the foursome bond

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm on Team Big in both of their S1-2 breakups. Carrie's S1 ultimatum of "Tell me I'm the one" was ridiculous for two people who hadn't even said they loved the other. "The One" comes after "I love you." Then, yes, in S2, they said that they loved each other but just recently. There was no conversation or sign that they were so committed that they'd pick the other over their jobs when they conflicted. 

Then, Carrie manages to be so boring and spectacularly self-involved that she even manages to irritate her loyal, devoted, even Carrie-obsessed friends with the Big talk. When they suggest therapy (not a bad move for a woman who threw a burger against a refrigerator in a tantrum because her guy wasn't being bamboozled into marriage because he had to relocate for work), Carrie had to ignorantly bash psychology like she's living in Mad Men-era NYC instead of the late 90s NYC  and then bitchily say to Miranda "I mean, I get why *you* need therapy because you're all in your head."

Piece. Of. Work. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Melancholy said:

I'm on Team Big in both of their S1-2 breakups. Carrie's S1 ultimatum of "Tell me I'm the one" was ridiculous for two people who hadn't even said they loved the other. "The One" comes after "I love you." Then, yes, in S2, they said that they loved each other but just recently. There was no conversation or sign that they were so committed that they'd pick the other over their jobs when they conflicted. 

Then, Carrie manages to be so boring and spectacularly self-involved that she even manages to irritate her loyal, devoted, even Carrie-obsessed friends with the Big talk. When they suggest therapy (not a bad move for a woman who threw a burger against a refrigerator in a tantrum because her guy wasn't being bamboozled into marriage because he had to relocate for work), Carrie had to ignorantly bash psychology like she's living in Mad Men-era NYC instead of the late 90s NYC  and then bitchily say to Miranda "I mean, I get why *you* need therapy because you're all in your head."

Piece. Of. Work. 

So was I. Carrie kept trying to get the relationship to go faster and faster and flipping out when it wasn't happening. Then she'd do crazy things like stalking his ex-wife and his mother. "Tell me I'm the one" they were about to go on vacation together, that wasn't enough for her. They could have gone and who knows maybe come back a lot closer. Nope, she wants to know right then and there. What was her rush?  Miranda's a better person then me for not responding back to the comment to the head case who threw a burger at fridge and STALKED her boyfriend's mother and ex-wife. 

• Love 13
(edited)

And Carrie would try to "convince" Big that she was the woman to settle down with...by doing non-stop crazy shit. Stalking his mother at church, drunk dialing him at 530 Paris time only to desist when she was so plastered that she spilled her drink all over herself, running off with the caterer at a fancy party they attended together, deliberately socking him in the face after he accidently rolled on her in sleep. These were all of her ploys as she was trying to get him to commit and settle down with her. Carrie would definitely draw Big in with sex and flirting- the traits of a fling. But she could throw only tantrums about commitment, not try to show Big that his life would improve if she was his long-term partner. Unlike Charlotte who was also trying to get a rich guy but she'd actively show the sweet, cultured domestic tranquil life that she could provide. Miranda and Samantha weren't trying to draw a long term partner like that. However, Carrie had some Charlotte ambitions but without nearly as much ability or honesty about it. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 10

Ugh, stalking Big's mother may have been the worst.  Drunk dialing is one thing in your twenties but she was supposed to be in her thirties at the time.  Really embarrassing.  And why would Big want to be with someone like that and someone who seemed to have no ambition other than shoes?  

I never thought about Carrie having some of Charlotte's ambitions but it does make sense.  Either that or the relationship with Big was co-dependent on Carrie's end.  She didn't necessarily want the living together/marriage thing but she didn't want him to have that with anyone else. 

I was quasi-watching some episodes yesterday while I was doing other things.  The Post-It episode was on and I really hate how Carrie turned Charlotte's big news about her engagement to Harry into a night out for her because Berger broke up with her via Post It.  Yeah, that sucks but Carrie should have kept her mouth shut and let Charlotte enjoy breaking the news of her engagement.  It shows how horribly self-centered Carrie could be.  She could be a good friend as well (as she did later in the episode by encouraging Charlotte to enjoy all the pre-wedding things, even though it was her second marriage) but so much of the time I felt she was lacking in the friend department (while Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha exhibited more true friendship and less selfishness.) 

• Love 14

The sad thing is, by the time Carrie was with Aidan both times, and especially during their second go-around, she was kind of the Big to his Carrie. Sadly, she never had the self-realization to learn anything from that, both during her time with Aidan and after it.

The Post-It episode was on and I really hate how Carrie turned Charlotte's big news about her engagement to Harry into a night out for her because Berger broke up with her via Post It.

Yeah, that did suck...but I don't mind because I actually really liked that episode overall. Not everything about the episode was perfect, but I did enjoys seeing the girls going out together as a foursome and more or less having fun together.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I never thought about Carrie having some of Charlotte's ambitions but it does make sense.  Either that or the relationship with Big was co-dependent on Carrie's end.  She didn't necessarily want the living together/marriage thing but she didn't want him to have that with anyone else. 

I think it was The New Yorker, but I really liked the analysis that the women share traits in pairs. Carrie/Samantha are freer sexually and their hedonism pairs with how they don't go for a family. Miranda/Charlotte are more inhibited sexually and they're less hedonistic with more impulse control and they do start families. Miranda/Samantha are the cynics and part of that is they're so financially successful on their own, that they're more likely to put the onus on the man to prove why he should have a place in their hearts. Carrie/Charlotte are the romantics and part of that is that they don't have jobs to support themselves as they'd want to supported so they open their hearts to a man to take care of them. But then, Charlotte/Samantha in their VERY different ways openly and proudly trade their beauty/femininity for financial advantages and they don't care for much labelling themselves feminists. Miranda/Carrie have a problem with that consciously and they're more likely to label themselves Second Wave feminists- but Miranda is the only one of the two who really practices what she preaches. 

I was quasi-watching some episodes yesterday while I was doing other things.  The Post-It episode was on and I really hate how Carrie turned Charlotte's big news about her engagement to Harry into a night out for her because Berger broke up with her via Post It.  Yeah, that sucks but Carrie should have kept her mouth shut and let Charlotte enjoy breaking the news of her engagement.  It shows how horribly self-centered Carrie could be.  She could be a good friend as well (as she did later in the episode by encouraging Charlotte to enjoy all the pre-wedding things, even though it was her second marriage) but so much of the time I felt she was lacking in the friend department (while Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha exhibited more true friendship and less selfishness.) 

Yup. Carrie is good at friendship when it suits her. She's fun at a party. She's given some thought to romance and she's all about doing whatever feels good- so she can deliver great pep talks like to Charlotte in that episode. As a self-styled sexual anthropologist, she's interested in her friends' love life (partly because she writes about it). She has good intentions. However, she has NO impulse control. She's incapable of putting her feelings aside, no matter how insignificant, for the good of others. It's like how she is with money. If Carrie has something urgent on her mind, she'll blab no matter what social cues. Burger dumping her on a post-it, even though Charlotte just announced she got engaged. Complaining about the second Big-break up for the umpteenth time even though her friends were clearly tired of it and even as they were telling her that they were tired of it and felt out of their depth. Agonizing over Nina Katz to a Miranda who was drowning under the stress of caring for a newborn or a Stanford who's already lived through the Aiden drama and wanted some recognition/opinions on his first true relationship in a long time. Obsessing over Aiden to a Miranda in physical agony over her back. 

I actually think the Nina Katz ep is a great example. Carrie *did* deliver a good-friendship speech to Samantha that Sam needed to be more supportive of Miranda. Carrie has good intentions and she can read social cues. But did Carrie ever go over and watch Brady a little while to give Miranda a break? No, she did not. Samantha did. The episode implies that Charlotte did that for Miranda a bunch of times. But not Carrie at all until Miranda went on her honeymoon and Brady was much easier (and Carrie's own biological clock happened to be ringing). 

• Love 10

And then calling up Samantha to bitch about Nina Katz while she's trying to babysit Brady. Granted she hadn't known Brady was there, but even after when Samantha tries to hang up to get a handle on Brady's crying, Carrie's still "What about meeee? What about Nina Kaaaatz?!"

Shut. Up. Carrie.

• Love 7

Okay, I got thrashed for this many moons ago over at TWOP but it still bugs me. 

Steve was going to be in the baby's life from day one.  He was an involved father from the time Miranda told him she was pregnant.  We assume his name is on the birth certificate.  So naming the baby Brady made zero sense to me.  Why wouldn't the child have Steve's last name?  Or at least "Hobbes Brady?" 

So when Miranda and Steve got married, did Brady's name stay Brady Hobbes?  Surely not Brady Hobbes Brady.  What if Miranda and Steve had any more children?  Would they be Hobbes?  Hobbes-Brady?  Or just Brady?  

I know, it's a pretty stupid thing to be focusing on but it just drives me crazy. 

• Love 13

I've always wondered that too! I guess since they weren't married and didn't think that marriage was in their future, Miranda used her name for the last name and included Steve with the first name. Wasn't he supposed to be Danny and Miranda decided on Brady after the birth? Rory Gilmore of Gilmore Girls has Lorelai's name and not her father's.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I've always wondered that too! I guess since they weren't married and didn't think that marriage was in their future, Miranda used her name for the last name and included Steve with the first name. Wasn't he supposed to be Danny and Miranda decided on Brady after the birth? Rory Gilmore of Gilmore Girls has Lorelai's name and not her father's.

I'm so glad it's not just me!  

Yes, Miranda had said she liked the name Danny; I think Steve had suggested Paul, after his dad maybe?  Anyhow, Steve thought the baby was Danny until he was born. 

I understand that neither had thoughts of marriage and were, in fact, not a couple when Brady was born but it still seems odd that the baby wouldn't have Steve's name, especially since he was going to be involved.

• Love 1

I didn't think it was strange that he had Miranda's last name not Steve's. I knew a lot of kids growing up who had their mother's last name even though their dads were in their life since birth and many more since then. Usually the relationship ended by the time they were born or it was a one night stands. 

• Love 4

It didn't bother me that they picked Brady.

What bothered me more was how snotty Miranda got at how emotional Steve was at the birth. If you don't want to get mushy about it, then fine, but you can't dictate how other people react.

• Love 4

Nope. The worst thing about the birth was the nurse handing the baby to Steve, then Steve passing the baby across Miranda to Carrie, so Carrie could pass him to Miranda. 

WTF was that?

• Love 9

Miranda had already asked Carrie to make sure no one went cheerleadery during the delivery. Fair enough - you are squeezing a human out of your vagina, you are absolutely  in charge and get to set the tone for the room.   So when Steve got teary, Miranda gave Carrie a look and Carrie shook her head at Steve. 

• Love 1

I can't believe it's 2017 and Brady's last name is still a matter of even casual debate. His last name is Hobbes. His last name is legally his. His last name doesn't magically change when his mother marries. His mother's name is Hobbes and stays Hobbes upon marriage too.

• Love 11
On 7/7/2017 at 0:50 PM, psychoticstate said:

Okay, I got thrashed for this many moons ago over at TWOP but it still bugs me. 

Steve was going to be in the baby's life from day one.  He was an involved father from the time Miranda told him she was pregnant.  We assume his name is on the birth certificate.  So naming the baby Brady made zero sense to me.  Why wouldn't the child have Steve's last name?  Or at least "Hobbes Brady?" 

So when Miranda and Steve got married, did Brady's name stay Brady Hobbes?  Surely not Brady Hobbes Brady.  What if Miranda and Steve had any more children?  Would they be Hobbes?  Hobbes-Brady?  Or just Brady?  

I know, it's a pretty stupid thing to be focusing on but it just drives me crazy. 

I do not remember you, but I believe I was getting trashed alongside of you back at TWOP.  It made no sense to name the boy Brady when Steve was going to be around.  I was clear then at TWOP and I will be clear here:  I don't care, heck I even encourage Miranda for giving her baby HER last name as an unmarried woman.   How about James Hobbs?  Or trendy like Hunter Hobbs?  Or Henry Hobbs?  Just the first name of Brady eliminated ALL possibility of Brady ever taking Steve's last name someday, even at the age of 18.   TWOP posters made me out to be a 1962 - esque sheltered woman......and I am not.  Like you:  no biggie, it just bugged.  And Steve could get all emotional as he wants....it is HIS baby too!!!

• Love 6

Just the first name of Brady eliminated ALL possibility of Brady ever taking Steve's last name someday, even at the age of 18

Why would he possibly ever want to change his last name?  It will have been his last name for his entire life. His first name "honors" his connection to his father. Despite the archaic rule that sons are supposed to carry on the family name, therefore his children should also be Bradys, he can choose to name his own child Junior Crap Bag if he wants.  

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I do not remember you, but I believe I was getting trashed alongside of you back at TWOP.  It made no sense to name the boy Brady when Steve was going to be around.  I was clear then at TWOP and I will be clear here:  I don't care, heck I even encourage Miranda for giving her baby HER last name as an unmarried woman.   How about James Hobbs?  Or trendy like Hunter Hobbs?  Or Henry Hobbs?  Just the first name of Brady eliminated ALL possibility of Brady ever taking Steve's last name someday, even at the age of 18.   TWOP posters made me out to be a 1962 - esque sheltered woman......and I am not.  Like you:  no biggie, it just bugged.  And Steve could get all emotional as he wants....it is HIS baby too!!!

EXACTLY.  Thank you, Mrs. Hanson!   I just didn't understand why Miranda chose to give their child Steve's last name as a first name.  It was never discussed during the show so maybe Steve was fine with their child having "Hobbes" as a last name.  Maybe he would have wanted his last name to carry on.  Who knows?   

3 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

I can't believe it's 2017 and Brady's last name is still a matter of even casual debate. His last name is Hobbes. His last name is legally his. His last name doesn't magically change when his mother marries. His mother's name is Hobbes and stays Hobbes upon marriage too.

2017 or not, generally speaking, most women take their husband's names.  Not a big deal but it's what the majority do.  I have a friend who elected to keep her name after marrying but the children she has with her husband have his last name.  Another friend had a child with a then boyfriend; they broke up but the child has both last names.  

Regardless, Brady's name is legally his because Miranda chose it.  Whether she and Steve married or not, Steve is also his parent.  Doesn't he have a say?  

3 minutes ago, Quof said:

Why would he possibly ever want to change his last name?  It will have been his last name for his entire life. His first name "honors" his connection to his father. Despite the archaic rule that sons are supposed to carry on the family name, therefore his children should also be Bradys, he can choose to name his own child Junior Crap Bag if he wants.  

I know someone who did.  He had his mother's name through his teens but wanted his father's name and eventually took it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

EXACTLY.  Thank you, Mrs. Hanson!   I just didn't understand why Miranda chose to give their child Steve's last name as a first name.  It was never discussed during the show so maybe Steve was fine with their child having "Hobbes" as a last name.  Maybe he would have wanted his last name to carry on.  Who knows?   

You are welcome.  Turns out Steve and Miranda DID get married, and Brady's last name could have/would have remained Hobbs.  No biggie.  And I think it is funny that I am thinking about a ficticious child born on a series that ended in 2004!!!  

2 hours ago, Quof said:

You just never know.  Maybe, maybe not, But the choice was taken away from Brady.  Who knows - he could have changed his name to Astro Danger Brady.  (Yes that is the first and middle name of a co-worker's grandson.)  

When I was going through my divorce years back I took back my maiden name.  My ex mother in law was convinced I was changing the kids names to my maiden name.  No, that is THEIR name!!  LOL!  And I am happily and willingly changing it again in October.  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Just the first name of Brady eliminated ALL possibility of Brady ever taking Steve's last name someday, even at the age of 18.   TWOP posters made me out to be a 1962 - esque sheltered woman

Why would Brady just randomly change his last name at 18? Just because it's his dad's (despite the fact that his first name is after his dad)? That really is some old-fashioned thinking, IMO.

Also, I don't understand what Steve's promised involvement in his son's life has to do with what his son's first name is. If anything, Miranda naming her son after his father was a MUCH bigger gesture than she's given credit for.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Why would Brady just randomly change his last name at 18? Just because it's his dad's (despite the fact that his first name is after his dad)? That really is some old-fashioned thinking, IMO.

Also, I don't understand what Steve's promised involvement in his son's life has to do with what his son's first name is. If anything, Miranda naming her son after his father was a MUCH bigger gesture than she's given credit for.

I have a good male friend who, years ago, had a baby boy with his girlfriend.  Long time and committed couple but not married.  She gave their son her last name, fine.  I can tell you that when that young man (who is now 16) turns 18 he is changing his name to his dad's last name.  No pressure, he just wants to do it.  

• Love 1

Brady Hobbes is a particularly inclusive name. As it is, he's named after both of his parents. If names are an issue of fairness or honoring parents, Brady is unique that he's named after both parents. Most kids aren't. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I think the last name issue is a bigger thing for boys than for girls.  Boys and young men tend to identify with their fathers and want to have the same name.  Maybe it's old fashioned thinking but there it is.  Boys/men keep their names, generally, for life.  Women often change theirs when they marry, if they marry.

The person I knew who changed his last name as a teen did so because he wanted his father's last name.  He didn't understand why he didn't have it and he wanted to carry it on. 

It's all personal preference but I wonder about Steve introducing himself and Brady to people.  "Hi, I'm Steve Brady and this is my son, Brady."  ??   I did notice that in the second movie, where Miranda quits her job and makes it to school in time to see Brady win an award, he's announced as "Brady."  No last name.  

Sheesh, I spend too much time thinking about fictional characters on a show that no longer airs. 

And . . . just to change things up (and apologies if it's been asked and I missed it) . . . 

What do you think is the best (or are the best) episodes of the series?  

What is the worst?

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, psychoticstate said:

It's all personal preference but I wonder about Steve introducing himself and Brady to people.  "Hi, I'm Steve Brady and this is my son, Brady."  ??   I did notice that in the second movie, where Miranda quits her job and makes it to school in time to see Brady win an award, he's announced as "Brady."  No last name.  

Why wouldn't Steve introduce his son as "Brady Hobbes"?  I always introduce my husband by his first and last names, since his last is different from mine.

As to that scene in the movie, I thought that was a knowing tease for long-time viewers of the show.  ;-)

I enjoy watching The Real Me, but always hate that Carrie let herself be paraded in that ridiculous "outfit" at the last minute.  Just say "this wasn't the deal -- I'm out."  She really cares too much what inconsequential people think of her.

This is pretty predictable, but I'd probably go with My Motherboard, My Self as the series' best episode.

• Love 1
(edited)

Agree on My Motherboard, My Self  and I Love a Charade and will add a vote for Hot Child in the City.

Worst for me are the California episodes (both LA and SF) and The Post It Always Sticks Twice.

Edited by Qoass
(edited)

I ended up on Boy Girl Boy Girl in my rewatch. That was stupid. I don't believe that every woman but Samantha would have a prejudiced, ignorant reaction to bisexuality and "Is bisexuality real and something to be tolerated in a boyfriend?" is such a clearly mean-spirited, stupid NON-debate that I didn't even feel like engaging. I mean, I'm all for flawed characters but this seemed too retro for sophisticated sexually open Manhattan women in 2000. And it felt like it was being held up with the other conundrums-of-the-week where the answer genuinely isn't clear. I think this is also the tipping point when Carrie no longer seemed incredibly free and sexual and thus, lost a lot of her charm and realism as a sex columnist. 

I really liked the cameos in the LA eps. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Vince Vaughn, Mathew McConaghey, Carrie Fisher- all hilarious. But a big meh on Hugh Hefner. But lol that he was a personal hero to Samantha. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Melancholy said:

I ended up on Boy Girl Boy Girl in my rewatch. That was stupid. I don't believe that every woman but Samantha would have a prejudiced, ignorant reaction to bisexuality and "Is bisexuality real and something to be tolerated in a boyfriend?" is such a clearly mean-spirited, stupid NON-debate that I didn't even feel like engaging. I mean, I'm all for flawed characters but this seemed too retro for sophisticated sexually open Manhattan women in 2000. And it felt like it was being held up with the other conundrums-of-the-week where the answer genuinely isn't clear. I think this is also the tipping point when Carrie no longer seemed incredibly free and sexual and thus, lost a lot of her charm and realism as a sex columnist. 

I really liked the cameos in the LA eps. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Vince Vaughn, Mathew McConaghey, Carrie Fisher- all hilarious. But a big meh on Hugh Hefner. But lol that he was a personal hero to Samantha. 

This has always bugged me about Carrie. For someone who made a living out of writing about sex (which was actually way more about love and relationships than anything sex-related), she seemed either to be narrow-minded at times or didn't take things seriously. Now, I can understand her not being comfortable with stuff like the politician she dated in season 3 wanting "golden showers" but her views on bisexuality (even if we take it that she may have been more uncomfortable with dating a bisexual guy for the first time, as opposed to a negative generalisation of bisexuality) were in no way a positive representation of a supposedly educated and open-minded woman.

If anything, it doesn't paint Carrie well in her "successful sex columnist" role when Samantha is always knowledgeable and willing to try new stuff (even if it's something like having a threesome with two gay men). Carrie made a good living out of her friends because they always - even Charlotte - were put in more provocative situations than she was to ever let herself be part of. Not that Carrie needs to be constantly trying out new kinks with every guy she meets, but she should have simply have advertised herself for what she was really writing, instead of saying she writes about "sex" (nothing of which we ever heard from her columns as being anything explicit or being helpful).

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/14/2017 at 5:49 PM, NicoleQueen said:

If anything, it doesn't paint Carrie well in her "successful sex columnist" role when Samantha is always knowledgeable and willing to try new stuff (even if it's something like having a threesome with two gay men). Carrie made a good living out of her friends because they always - even Charlotte - were put in more provocative situations than she was to ever let herself be part of. 

Here's an underrated facet of Charlotte. I liked that she'd step out of her box and do provocative stuff if it was a part of art. Posing for a painting of her vagina and showing it and identifying it to her friends, cross-dressing as a man and posing for a painting of that, hanging with the chic lesbians, having a hot affair with the Hasidic folk artist (foreshadowing!). Unfortunately, that side of Charlotte disappeared with Trey. But it was never really Carrie. The closest she got was walking down the runway in D&G underwear and that was to please fashionistas rather for the writing. I mean, I hated Hannah Abbott and her pretensions that it's so hard being her because she does weird shit for THE STORY. But yet, I did believe Hannah had that marketable quality that she lives on the edge which produces edgy writing that the average person can't produce. That's not Carrie. Her writing style has a certain charm but most women could do what she did. Flipping again, I get that has its own value. I'm more likely to click into a "dating and relationship"  article that applies to my Basic Self. However, in today's market, that's everywhere. Carrie was a very lucky- to get the New York Star job at the last point of the successful newspaper and before the age of click bait. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:49 PM, NicoleQueen said:

This has always bugged me about Carrie. For someone who made a living out of writing about sex (which was actually way more about love and relationships than anything sex-related), she seemed either to be narrow-minded at times or didn't take things seriously. Now, I can understand her not being comfortable with stuff like the politician she dated in season 3 wanting "golden showers" but her views on bisexuality (even if we take it that she may have been more uncomfortable with dating a bisexual guy for the first time, as opposed to a negative generalisation of bisexuality) were in no way a positive representation of a supposedly educated and open-minded woman.

If anything, it doesn't paint Carrie well in her "successful sex columnist" role when Samantha is always knowledgeable and willing to try new stuff (even if it's something like having a threesome with two gay men). Carrie made a good living out of her friends because they always - even Charlotte - were put in more provocative situations than she was to ever let herself be part of. Not that Carrie needs to be constantly trying out new kinks with every guy she meets, but she should have simply have advertised herself for what she was really writing, instead of saying she writes about "sex" (nothing of which we ever heard from her columns as being anything explicit or being helpful).

That bugged me too. I would have thought she'd have been more open minded given her career as a "successful sex columnist" I think it would have been more fun if she did try new things or talk to people.  When I first heard about the show and started watching it I assumed that's more of what she'd be like. She was so negative or weirded out by things she really shouldn't be or she really should know about. Even if she didn't partake, she did write about sex, didn't she ever do research? 

• Love 5
On 7/20/2017 at 6:19 AM, Melancholy said:

I love that scene where Samantha is educating everyone at the Sharper Image buying "back massagers" on the best one to get you off. 

Me too.  If I could only hang with one of these girls in real life, I would choose Samantha because you know she'd be a hoot and have tons of stories. 

• Love 3

Me too.  If I could only hang with one of these girls in real life, I would choose Samantha because you know she'd be a hoot and have tons of stories. 

I think Samantha would get tiresome pretty quickly.  I always enjoyed Miranda when she being cynical, and I could relate to the Tivo romance or feeling that the person you order takeout from is laughing at you. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Me too. It would be fun to hear her stories you know she had a ton of good ones. 

15 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think Samantha would get tiresome pretty quickly.  I always enjoyed Miranda when she being cynical, and I could relate to the Tivo romance or feeling that the person you order takeout from is laughing at you. 

I like that in "Frenemies" (I think), Samantha and Charlotte had that falling out and Samantha found a woman much closer to her own views, but ultimately she was too much even for her and Samantha realised that sometimes it's okay to be a bit more reserved like Charlotte.

• Love 9