Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everyone online is saying this is a Vivienne Westwood skirt as well.  One of the more odder choices :)   I mean, from the front, I absolutely love it...... 

89b8a7e7ee1cd7decbd220c935c3d8c4.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 3.41.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 3.41.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 3.43.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 3.43.25 PM.png

That green skirt is SHORT. Carrie looks great in it, but how do you sit down in a skirt that short? I’d be concerned sitting on something unclean in public.

Remember how we said once upon a time in this thread that Carrie often looked like she was wearing a costume? That skirt was one of those times. That back looks like a bunny tail! 

• Like 5

lol! That would stand out less in NYC than some random town in the USA though, right? That's my guess as a non-New Yorker. If it's still extremely short anywhere, I guess it's just as practical as all those high heels. I wear high heels less when I'm in New York than I do back home because of all the walking. I want to be Carrie Bradshaw when I'm visiting, but I just can't, at least not a ton. 

• Like 3

Always did wonder why Lynn Cohen (Magda) looked so familiar to me beyond that role: I found an old article about actors that appeared in the Law & Order franchise, and she had a recurring role as a judge for many seasons, Elizabeth Mizener.

She even appeared on the spinoffs (Criminal Intent and SVU) of the time, too!

Probably threw me off because, if I recall, the judge had no accent, as Cohen played Magda with!

• Like 3
On 2/2/2023 at 1:02 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Always did wonder why Lynn Cohen (Magda) looked so familiar to me beyond that role: I found an old article about actors that appeared in the Law & Order franchise, and she had a recurring role as a judge for many seasons, Elizabeth Mizener.

She even appeared on the spinoffs (Criminal Intent and SVU) of the time, too!

Probably threw me off because, if I recall, the judge had no accent, as Cohen played Magda with!

Oh yeah, I knew the accent was for the character not the actress. 

• Like 2

Given that practically every character actor based in NYC appeared in the L&O franchise at some point, I suspect it'd be faster to list SATC's secondary/guest actors who didn't appear on L&O!

(Yep. I just had some fun on IMDB randomly clicking on actors who did an ep or two of SATC. Most of them have at least one L&O appearance.)

• Like 4

Heidi was better than the pink and lime green blouse?/skirt combo with a belt around her bare waist for no good reason at all (wedding dress hive episode). 

I was thinking of the episode where Miranda decides to give it a try with Steve, because Big “came through” for Carrie in a big way. Meaning, he had dinner with her and her friends in a nice restaurant in the same city where he lives and has a personal chauffeur, as they had previously planned. 

The bar is so low it’s in Hell with that plot line. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
13 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Heidi was better than the pink and lime green blouse?/skirt combo with a belt around her bare waist for no good reason at all (wedding dress hive episode). 

I was thinking of the episode where Miranda decides to give it a try with Steve, because Big “came through” for Carrie in a big way. Meaning, he had dinner with her and her friends in a nice restaurant in the same city where he lives and has a personal chauffeur, as they had previously planned. 

The bar is so low it’s in Hell with that plot line. 

Big was such a jerk. They had been dating a while and he agreed to meet her friends and then just wasn’t going to come??? It wasn’t as if he was sick or got stuck at work he just wasn’t going to HAVE DINNER?? Ugh I have been over this before, but why did Carrie even want him???

• Like 5
On 12/31/2022 at 9:52 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Remember how we said once upon a time in this thread that Carrie often looked like she was wearing a costume? That skirt was one of those times. That back looks like a bunny tail!

I was about to comment on how fabulous she looked until I saw the back and it looked like she was pooping out cotton.

• LOL 5
13 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Heidi was better than the pink and lime green blouse?/skirt combo with a belt around her bare waist for no good reason at all

I could have lived with that outfit if not for the belt.

Other than the Heidi outfit the other outfit I hated was the shorts and heels Carrie had on when she lost Pete while walking him meeting up with Big.

12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Big was such a jerk. They had been dating a while and he agreed to meet her friends and then just wasn’t going to come??? It wasn’t as if he was sick or got stuck at work he just wasn’t going to HAVE DINNER?? Ugh I have been over this before, but why did Carrie even want him???

Speaking of Big in Pat Field's book she casually mentions Chris Noth was not comfortable around women.  She said John Corbett wanted to wear a lot of his own turquois jewelry which she fought him on.  Thought Kristin Davis was her Bettie Page because she had an hourglass figure.  Fought to get Cynthia Nixon out of the bland suits.  Loved SJP and Kim Cattrall.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Agree and $$$

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Mostly because he had money and because he didn't love her, IMO. Carrie needed the thrill of the chase, it was the topic of an entire episode with Aidan. Once she got Big, she tired of him, too. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
15 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Mostly because he had money and because he didn't love her, IMO. Carrie needed the thrill of the chase, it was the topic of an entire episode with Aidan. Once she got Big, she tired of him, too. 

Nailed it!

• Applause 2
19 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Absolutely, her designer wardrobe was not going to be paying for itself.

I think Big represented the upper echelon of NYC society that Carrie really wanted to join.

Also, Carrie often said that she wanted amazing passion all the time. That is not what a stable long-term relationship is about. 

Sure, your long-term partner should always make your heart flutter but stable relationships are about comfort, familiarity, and security.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Absolutely, her designer wardrobe was not going to be paying for itself.

Pat Field did not like people questioning Carrie's ability to have and have room for that wardrobe.  She told one journalist you don't know Carrie's life. I guess meaning we don't know what happened in Carrie's life that wasn't onscreen.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Pat Field did not like people questioning Carrie's ability to have and have room for that wardrobe.  She told one journalist you don't know Carrie's life. I guess meaning we don't know what happened in Carrie's life that wasn't onscreen.

In the beginning, her wardrobe was much more in line with her income.

She would have a few designer pieces that she would pair with some relatively inexpensive thrift store finds.

I look at the later seasons as fantasy and it is still fun to critique her outfits, both good and bad.

I think her newspaper dress was an iconic moment but I know some people who hate that dress.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I look at the later seasons as fantasy and it is still fun to critique her outfits, both good and bad.

The later seasons were when designers were clamoring to have their stuff on the show. The early seasons designers would not return Pat Field's calls.

Not all the fashion worked for me. Some of it was too costumey.  One thing Pat Field did that I applaud her for was she made sure even though Samantha was active with men she didn't let her be dressed as cheap or slutty.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The later seasons were when designers were clamoring to have their stuff on the show. The early seasons designers would not return Pat Field's calls.

Not all the fashion worked for me. Some of it was too costumey.  One thing Pat Field did that I applaud her for was she made sure even though Samantha was active with men she didn't let her be dressed as cheap or slutty.  

Definitely.

Except for a few missteps here and there (and let's be honest we all sometimes make fashion mistakes) Samantha looked classy, not trashy.

Actually, I think Carrie had a more risqué wardrobe than Samantha.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And yet she was so judgemental about Sam's sex life ! 😄

Which was particularly weird since she was a sex columnist.

Sam probably gave her some of her best articles.

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 6
On 3/21/2023 at 5:57 PM, qtpye said:

Yes I did think it was weird how Carrie was so uptight about sex but was a sex columnist. For example when she dated the bisexual guy (she was pretty ignorant there) the freak out about anal-I cannot see four grown ass women needing to have a powwow about anal. Discussing it with your friends, fine, I could even maybe buy Charlotte’s reaction, but Carrie was kind of uptight. Oh and when she dated the politician who was into “golden showers”. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I did think it was weird how Carrie was so uptight about sex but was a sex columnist. For example when she dated the bisexual guy (she was pretty ignorant there) the freak out about anal-I cannot see four grown ass women needing to have a powwow about anal. Discussing it with your friends, fine, I could even maybe buy Charlotte’s reaction, but Carrie was kind of uptight. Oh and when she dated the politician who was into “golden showers”. 

The politician was hot, but that is one kink I will never understand. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

The politician was hot, but that is one kink I will never understand. 

Yeah, I understand Carrie's reactions sometimes, and that was definitely one of them.  She was very polite about the whole thing, just not into it!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5
On 3/25/2023 at 11:43 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, I understand Carrie's reactions sometimes, and that was definitely one of them.  She was very polite about the whole thing, just not into it!

She was polite but she acted like she had never heard of it before!

• Like 4
On 3/21/2023 at 12:43 PM, qtpye said:

Also, Carrie often said that she wanted amazing passion all the time. That is not what a stable long-term relationship is about. 

Sure, your long-term partner should always make your heart flutter but stable relationships are about comfort, familiarity, and security.

All this is sooo true.  After many years, men get lazy.  Mine still makes my heart flutter when I see him, but I’m sure his heart flutters when he’s playing golf.  Lol.  I’m watching when Big gives Carrie a t.v. for the bedroom and she hates it.  She has lots to learn.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 3/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

And yet she was so judgemental about Sam's sex life ! 😄

One of the many hypocritical facets of Carrie's personality (and why she was never a favorite of mine)

On 3/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, qtpye said:

This is what I never understood. She's a sex columnist, in one of the most diverse cities on Earth (in terms of sexuality and sexual expression). Yet she was such a prude...and also borderline biphobic and homophobic. Made absolutely ZERO sense

• Like 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I didn’t know about it! Is it available on streaming?

@Scarlett45Watching, I looked for other showings and none came up... and it's not available On Demand through my cable company.  :( Sorry

I Googled "The Women of Sex and the City" but of course, all that came up was tons of places to watch SATC.

I wouldn't say I learned much of anything I haven't heard other places except for them showing the four  of them in earlier roles.  They also very briefly touched on other actresses who were either considered for roles on SATC or who passed on them.

If I see it coming on again, I'll message you.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1