Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

And Just Like That spoilers for anyone interested:

Spoiler

Big dies. Samantha is in London. Charlotte and Miranda still talk to her but her and Carrie had a falling out. Miranda has an affair and falls in love with the new queer character and will leave Steve by the end of the season.

They could've just left well-enough alone. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Reveal spoiler

Big dies. Samantha is in London. Charlotte and Miranda still talk to her but her and Carrie had a falling out. Miranda has an affair and falls in love with the new queer character and will leave Steve by the end of the season.

Damn. I don't even hate the movies the way some people do. I'm such a fan I kind of always just wanted more even if Kim didn't want to be part of it or I didn't love the stories. But I think I have to agree too. :(

• Love 5
7 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Reveal spoiler

There is already a thread for that show and I purposely avoid it because I really don't want to read anything about it until I see it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

There is already a thread for that show and I purposely avoid it because I really don't want to read anything about it until I see it.

Where is it? I can't find it.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I took the article to mean that Kim will be the narrator of the series.  If it's anything like How I Met your Mother, we may never see Kim.  Bob Saget narrated that series and did not appear on it.

Update to this post: Apparently, unlike the original, Kim Cattrall will actually appear unlike Bob Saget in How I Met Your Mother, whose voice was the only part of him appearing on that show.

• Love 4

True or false, I heard a rumor that Samantha's story in the aborted 3rd movie would have involved getting sexting pics from a teen Brady???

If true, I don't blame Kim for opting not to do this.

Kim is a narrator in the upcoming female version of How I Met your mother, is filming a recurring role in a reboot of Queer as Folk, and is in a podcast tv show.

Sounds like she made the right decision to move forward from Samantha 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

True or false, I heard a rumor that Samantha's story in the aborted 3rd movie would have involved getting sexting pics from a teen Brady???

If true, I don't blame Kim for opting not to do this.

Kim is a narrator in the upcoming female version of How I Met your mother, is filming a recurring role in a reboot of Queer as Folk, and is in a podcast tv show.

Sounds like she made the right decision to move forward from Samantha 

True

Kim Cattrall ‘quit Sex And The City 3 because of sexting storyline between Samantha and 14-year-old Brady’

• Useful 4
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Not only that but had sex with him.  Ewwwwww.

What would have even been the thought process behind writing that storyline?  It wouldn't have been well received.  I mean just look at the horror of just hearing about it.  There is no way Samantha would have done that.  And the writers, assuming it was MPK, clearly didn't care enough about the characters (or maybe just Samantha and by extension KC) to be true to them.  

• Love 4

It's just all about shock value.  I really don't see why someone like Samantha would be interested in taking some 18-20 (?) year old NYU student's virginity either.   I think it's just about shock value, getting people to talk about the show, getting eyeballs on the show without worrying about nuance or storylines being organic and earned.  And that's what's so frustrating because a lot of times the show was great at storytelling.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Honestly, stuff like that always annoyed me. I love Samantha for Kim’s acting and comic relief. She probably made me laugh more than any other character, but the stories for her were so bad sometimes. I gravitated toward Charlotte because while she had flaws, she never did anything as outrageous as the other three. I wonder if Kim ever complained or just dealt with it until the storyline with Brady. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Honestly, stuff like that always annoyed me. I love Samantha for Kim’s acting and comic relief. She probably made me laugh more than any other character, but the stories for her were so bad sometimes. I gravitated toward Charlotte because while she had flaws, she never did anything as outrageous as the other three. I wonder if Kim ever complained or just dealt with it until the storyline with Brady. 

She did put her foot down once per this video.

• Useful 4
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's just all about shock value.  I really don't see why someone like Samantha would be interested in taking some 18-20 (?) year old NYU student's virginity either.   I think it's just about shock value, getting people to talk about the show, getting eyeballs on the show without worrying about nuance or storylines being organic and earned.  And that's what's so frustrating because a lot of times the show was great at storytelling.

SATC never shocked me.  So why MPK thought he needed to with recent SATC projects is beyond me. The show did have storylines. They continued for years. But with the second movie and the proposed third movie it became all about lets see what crazy scenario we can put the women in.  I think  they are trying to compete with other more buzzworthy shows. Which in the process they lose what made this show so special.  

14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Honestly, stuff like that always annoyed me. I love Samantha for Kim’s acting and comic relief. She probably made me laugh more than any other character, but the stories for her were so bad sometimes. I

Other than the second movie I never rolled my eyes at any of Samantha's storylines.  KC always took what was written for her and made it work.   Even when she pulled up her skirt to show Carrie what she did with her nether region.  I laughed because I totally believed Samantha would do that.   I only cried twice when watching this show and one of the times was when Samantha caught Richard with his head between another woman's legs and she broke the heart painting saying there now your heart is broken too.  I felt so bad for her.  I have had men cheat on me and I felt her hurt.

• Love 7

I was wondering why Jerry Stiller didn't attend the Seinfeld reunion on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" back in 2009 even though Estelle Harris did.  I looked up his Wikipedia page and it says that he was in the SATC episode "One" as Mr. Brady!  (Anne Meara, who played Steve's mother, was Jerry's real life wife).  Does anyone actually remember Jerry in that episode?  I wonder if his part was cut!

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

The Golden Girls may have dressed like a stereotype of grandmas but they had vibrant, fun social lives.  Sounds like the SATC reboot ladies dress young but are not having much fun at all.

Golden Girls was more substance over style.  Although Blanche had some nice clothes.  Their storylines had some very progressive themes.  SATC had both, although it was more style less substance.  But the reboot has little of either.

• Love 9
On 1/4/2022 at 7:39 PM, RealHousewife said:

I wonder too. I had no problem with Samantha loving sex, and being confident in her sexuality, etc, but there were plenty of times were her behavior seemed out of control and like the writers were determined to make her as overly slutty as possible. Even worse, she not only didn't care that it might make others uncomfortable, she seemed to sometime get a sick thrill out of that.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I wonder too. I had no problem with Samantha loving sex, and being confident in her sexuality, etc, but there were plenty of times were her behavior seemed out of control and like the writers were determined to make her as overly slutty as possible. Even worse, she not only didn't care that it might make others uncomfortable, she seemed to sometime get a sick thrill out of that.

Agree. I found this article interesting. 

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/sex-and-the-city-3-controversial-opinions-about-samantha-jones.html/

Women used to be shamed a ton for being sexual, and it's sad so many still have double standards. This is especially true for single women. I liked that Samantha wasn't ashamed of her sexuality, but a lot of her behavior really wasn't that great. I wish they just had her as a woman who was single, sexy, and loved sex. Why did the character shamelessly sleep with married men, have a random hookup with a good friend's brother, and not care if the stuff she said and did made others uncomfortable? You can be an extremely sexual person without throwing your sexuality in people's faces and having zero rules. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Agree. I found this article interesting. 

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/sex-and-the-city-3-controversial-opinions-about-samantha-jones.html/

Women used to be shamed a ton for being sexual, and it's sad so many still have double standards. This is especially true for single women. I liked that Samantha wasn't ashamed of her sexuality, but a lot of her behavior really wasn't that great. I wish they just had her as a woman who was single, sexy, and loved sex. Why did the character shamelessly sleep with married men, have a random hookup with a good friend's brother, and not care if the stuff she said and did made others uncomfortable? You can be an extremely sexual person without throwing your sexuality in people's faces and having zero rules. 

None of that stuff bothered me.  Was Samantha perfect?  No.  There are women like that.  They live their life unapologetically.  She didn't make it a habit of sleeping with married men.  And she actually paid a price for almost sleeping with married man when his wife blackballed her from just about everything. That one guy Dominic I think was his name had hurt her once and she became very guarded after that and that was the Samantha we were introduced to.  It took a long time for her to let her guard down.  First with Richard who didn't deserve her and then Smith who did. Personally I would love to have a friend like Samantha.

• Love 5

Can someone point out the time(s)? when Samantha knowingly slept with married men?
People are talking about it like it happened constantly.

I've watched the entire show back to front probably at least ten times now.

These instances are not coming to mind.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

S1 E8 "Three's a Crowd" comes immediately to mind. Sam knew the guy she was fucking, Ken, was married. It's the episode with the classic split-screen telephone call with Sam, Ken and Ken's wife as the resolution to the subplot.

And another where she starts making out with a guy only for his wife to walk in on them. The remainder of the episode is about her being ostracized because of her behavior and when she finally resorts to going to some society grande dame for help, the woman rebuffs her because apparently Samantha slept with HER guy too. (To be fair, I'm not sure I'm remembering that last part correctly)

Yet she wanted to get pissed off whenever SHE was cheated on. Um. . .NO.

Say this for Blanche, no matter how much she slept around, she was adamant that she would NOT go to bed with married men and was genuinely angry and upset the few times that it did happen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ok, so two episodes that we've found so far.  Cool.  I don't exactly see it as a defining characteristic.  Carrie also knowingly slept with a married man several times over, over the span of weeks?  Months?  And when she herself was married, kissed Aidan in SATC2.  I don't exactly think Samantha is the horrible person others do.  

I also have this vague memory of the women showing up somewhere and Samantha being upset that all the men there were married.  Did I dream it?  I just don't think she was trolling for married guys.  Okay I have further memory of this.  I think it's somebody's house/dinner party, and Samantha makes do by trying to talk to a man (innocently and innocuously) about his career, something like accounting or tax advice, and his wife gets upset/jealous and pulls him away.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/22/2022 at 8:05 PM, ifionlyknew said:

None of that stuff bothered me.  Was Samantha perfect?  No.  There are women like that.  They live their life unapologetically.  She didn't make it a habit of sleeping with married men.  And she actually paid a price for almost sleeping with married man when his wife blackballed her from just about everything. That one guy Dominic I think was his name had hurt her once and she became very guarded after that and that was the Samantha we were introduced to.  It took a long time for her to let her guard down.  First with Richard who didn't deserve her and then Smith who did. Personally I would love to have a friend like Samantha.

I think you can be a good friend without being perfect. I know some people who've cheated or been the other women who are not evil people. They are good people who did some awful things. Their worst moments in life don't define them for me. I don't need my friends to be saints. I was just never in the Samantha does no wrong camp, but I think she was a really kind friend too, in some ways superior to the others. 

Brief vague note mentioning AJLT. 

Spoiler

That's why I'm ticked off by how they did her on AJLT. They wrote her out to be stuff she's not, but I digress. 

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

S1 E8 "Three's a Crowd" comes immediately to mind. Sam knew the guy she was fucking, Ken, was married. It's the episode with the classic split-screen telephone call with Sam, Ken and Ken's wife as the resolution to the subplot.

6 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

And another where she starts making out with a guy only for his wife to walk in on them. The remainder of the episode is about her being ostracized because of her behavior and when she finally resorts to going to some society grande dame for help, the woman rebuffs her because apparently Samantha slept with HER guy too. (To be fair, I'm not sure I'm remembering that last part correctly)

Yet she wanted to get pissed off whenever SHE was cheated on. Um. . .NO.

Say this for Blanche, no matter how much she slept around, she was adamant that she would NOT go to bed with married men and was genuinely angry and upset the few times that it did happen.

I wonder if Samantha didn't realize how hurtful it is to be cheated on because she wasn't the relationship type? The first time she got really hurt was by Richard, right? 

33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ok, so two episodes that we've found so far.  Cool.  I don't exactly see it as a defining characteristic.  Carrie also knowingly slept with a married man several times over, over the span of weeks?  Months?  And when she herself was married, kissed Aidan in SATC2.  I don't exactly think Samantha is the horrible person others do.  

I also have this vague memory of the women showing up somewhere and Samantha being upset that all the men there were married.  Did I dream it?  I just don't think she was trolling for married guys.

The only character who has really strong morals imo is probably Charlotte, unless I'm not remembering some great mess-up of hers. She has her flaws, but nothing shocking I can recall. Everyone agrees about Carrie. I found her most deplorable when she had her affair with Big. It was behavior that hurt both Aidan and Natasha terribly. 

I don't think Samantha was trolling for married men, just that based on those episodes, it seemed like she didn't particularly care either. In Three's a Crowd, wasn't Samantha's reaction to the wife calling like "Oh shit, I don't want to be involved." Not "What the hell?! He's married?!" That's how I remember it. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1

Samantha never really..... ....... respected marriage as an institution?  She was so upset when Aidan proposed to Carrie, she felt like she was losing her.  Then in the movie, when Carrie announced she was marrying Big, I think Samantha had a similar reaction.  She wished Carrie was getting Botox instead.  

But, I'm trying to defend her so I think that for the most part, like, 90-95% of the time, Samantha was with single guys.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Samantha never really..... ....... respected marriage as an institution?  She was so upset when Aidan proposed to Carrie, she felt like she was losing her.  Then in the movie, when Carrie announced she was marrying Big, I think Samantha had a similar reaction.  She wished Carrie was getting Botox instead.  

But, I'm trying to defend her so I think that for the most part, like, 90-95% of the time, Samantha was with single guys.  

Samantha was like the opposite of Charlotte regarding marriage. I am not the chick to squeal over engagements a la Charlotte, but is still something I respect. 

True. I really think the kind of woman who makes a point to go after married men is very, very rare. I can't think of one I personally know at the top of my head. 

19 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Great interview with Blair Underwood on Sex and the City, from last August.  Let me know if any of you reach a paywall, and I can copy and paste it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/blair-underwood-sex-and-the-city-doctor-robert-leeds-interview.html

Yes please copy and paste.

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes Samantha never wanted to break up someone's marriage. Doesn't make it right if she slept with a married man but I'm not going to judge her for it.  

• Love 1

I don't think Sam trolled for married guys; I just don't think she was someone who cared per se about the morality of sleeping with a married man. She didn't specifically pursue married men, but if she met one she was attracted to who reciprocated her attraction, then she was fine with it. She was the type who would think that it's strictly on the person who took vows. What she didn't want were two things: 1) drama - no wife finding out about the affair 2) no men leaving their wives to be with her, because she didn't want to commit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't think Sam trolled for married guys; I just don't think she was someone who cared per se about the morality of sleeping with a married man. She didn't specifically pursue married men, but if she met one she was attracted to who reciprocated her attraction, then she was fine with it. She was the type who would think that it's strictly on the person who took vows. What she didn't want were two things: 1) drama - no wife finding out about the affair 2) no men leaving their wives to be with her, because she didn't want to commit.

Feel free to judge me but I have a lot in common with Samantha.  Probably why she was always my favorite.  

• Love 2
On 1/24/2022 at 2:25 AM, RealHousewife said:

True. I really think the kind of woman who makes a point to go after married men is very, very rare. I can't think of one I personally know at the top of my head.

I don't. I don't think it's COMMON, but I don't think its rare.

I think women that prefer partnered people 1. have low self esteem, and get a thrill of being chosen by a committed person (as in "OOOO I am so irresistible that I made them cheat"), 2. are partnered themselves and don't want to blow up their lives, but want something on the side. 

On 1/18/2022 at 10:07 AM, SlovakPrincess said:

The Golden Girls may have dressed like a stereotype of grandmas but they had vibrant, fun social lives.  Sounds like the SATC reboot ladies dress young but are not having much fun at all.

I think for the era, the Golden Girls dressed very contemporary (outside of Sophia who was Dorothy's mom)- that is what women in their 40s and 50s were wearing in the 1980s. My Mom had pieces like that in 80s and she was born in 1948.

I think as a culture we wear a lot more form fitting/revealing clothing now as a rule, so other styles look "frump'- reminds me how people have often said Kate Middleton dresses like a grandma, is she supposed to do public events in athleisure wear/half naked?

I liked that Miranda and Charlotte had their own distinct style that was more conservative. Of course I think a grown woman can wear whatever she wants and it is not an indication of her morality or sexual habits, but golly I did wonder sometimes if Samantha and Carrie were cold in those outfits- they weren't at the beach!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don't. I don't think it's COMMON, but I don't think its rare.

I think women that prefer partnered people 1. have low self esteem, and get a thrill of being chosen by a committed person (as in "OOOO I am so irresistible that I made them cheat"), 2. are partnered themselves and don't want to blow up their lives, but want something on the side. 

I think for the era, the Golden Girls dressed very contemporary (outside of Sophia who was Dorothy's mom)- that is what women in their 40s and 50s were wearing in the 1980s. My Mom had pieces like that in 80s and she was born in 1948.

I think as a culture we wear a lot more form fitting/revealing clothing now as a rule, so other styles look "frump'- reminds me how people have often said Kate Middleton dresses like a grandma, is she supposed to do public events in athleisure wear/half naked?

I liked that Miranda and Charlotte had their own distinct style that was more conservative. Of course I think a grown woman can wear whatever she wants and it is not an indication of her morality or sexual habits, but golly I did wonder sometimes if Samantha and Carrie were cold in those outfits- they weren't at the beach!

I could see that. 

It's true the fashion changed a lot. With the younger generation who grew up with Kardashians and J.Lo, Samantha Jones fashion is damn near modest. I do actually like a lot of her wardrobe. I find much of it sexy chic. 

This shows her legs for example, but I wouldn't say it's super short or inappropriate, at least not for someone who does PR. I imagine they can get away with being more flashy than someone who practices law like Miranda. 

8ab9ce1475dea67ad5fa7787b117a34d.jpg

16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

You'd think even for people who don't think marriage is this sacred thing, avoiding drama from a wife would be a good deterrent from having an affair. 

Even though I'm much more conservative than Sam on this front, as someone who's never been married, there are instances it can get tricky for me to decipher what's appropriate, more so during covid. I work remotely now, and everyone knows I'm up late. Sometimes I'll get work emails or calls late from a man who's married. One side of me thinks "It's just business. I wouldn't care if my spouse communicated with other people after a certain hour so long as no funny stuff." But then another side is like "Some people don't want their spouses talking to others period after business hours. Must find a way to shut down everything, especially if work turns into chit chat." I'm always scared of coming across as an old-fashioned prude OR being disrespectful. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I could see that. 

It's true the fashion changed a lot. With the younger generation who grew up with Kardashians and J.Lo, Samantha Jones fashion is damn near modest. I do actually like a lot of her wardrobe. I find much of it sexy chic. 

This shows her legs for example, but I wouldn't say it's super short or inappropriate, at least not for someone who does PR. I imagine they can get away with being more flashy than someone who practices law like Miranda. 

8ab9ce1475dea67ad5fa7787b117a34d.jpg

You'd think even for people who don't think marriage is this sacred thing, avoiding drama from a wife would be a good deterrent from having an affair. 

Even though I'm much more conservative than Sam on this front, as someone who's never been married, there are instances it can get tricky for me to decipher what's appropriate, more so during covid. I work remotely now, and everyone knows I'm up late. Sometimes I'll get work emails or calls late from a man who's married. One side of me thinks "It's just business. I wouldn't care if my spouse communicated with other people after a certain hour so long as no funny stuff." But then another side is like "Some people don't want their spouses talking to others period after business hours. Must find a way to shut down everything, especially if work turns into chit chat." I'm always scared of coming across as an old-fashioned prude OR being disrespectful. 

I like that outfit for Samantha. Her work wear was more conservative than her social wear (like most women)- I am a lawyer, so style wise I am between Charlotte and Miranda, I am not a litigator so I rarely have to wear suits outside of big presentations, but I dress more conservatively, 1. because I like to, 2. because I would get cold 😀. It is a me thing, but that doesn't mean I dress like a grandma. 

I am single as well, and as I get older I am more hyper aware of boundaries- the WFH thing does make things different than pre-pandemic, but I haven't had a problem with that.  I think a lot of women would be threatened by Samantha because she was damn gorgeous, and confident- even if she hadn't even noticed their husband. I think for a lot of women there is a status in having a man, and Samantha could care less about HAVING one. Enjoying one, sure, having one nope. Samantha as a character is an exaggeration but I adore her.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

I like that outfit for Samantha. Her work wear was more conservative than her social wear (like most women)- I am a lawyer, so style wise I am between Charlotte and Miranda, I am not a litigator so I rarely have to wear suits outside of big presentations, but I dress more conservatively, 1. because I like to, 2. because I would get cold 😀. It is a me thing, but that doesn't mean I dress like a grandma. 

I am single as well, and as I get older I am more hyper aware of boundaries- the WFH thing does make things different than pre-pandemic, but I haven't had a problem with that.  I think a lot of women would be threatened by Samantha because she was damn gorgeous, and confident- even if she hadn't even noticed their husband. I think for a lot of women there is a status in having a man, and Samantha could care less about HAVING one. Enjoying one, sure, having one nope. Samantha as a character is an exaggeration but I adore her.

For sure! I always thought Samantha looked nice though, even in her going out attire. She has a killer figure.  

Yes! When I was younger I never thought about boundaries because I'm a goody two shoes and figured so long as my intentions are good, I'd be okay. It's not always that simple. Because of Samantha's looks and confidence, you know some women would be threatened by her instantly, even if she were happily married. I have a lot of insecurities about my looks, but I've been told I'm a threat multiple times because of the way I look. I try to be sensitive to other women's feelings and boundaries even if I have zero interest in their husbands/boyfriends. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

For sure! I always thought Samantha looked nice though, even in her going out attire. She has a killer figure.  

Kim Catrall’s body is amazing and they definitely dressed her well. I think they dressed all the women well, meaning the clothes matched their characters personalities AND they looked nice. Miranda would’ve never wanted to wear the more vintage feminine styles Charlotte did for example, even though Cynthia Nixon had a great body too and would’ve looked wonderful. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Kim Catrall’s body is amazing and they definitely dressed her well. I think they dressed all the women well, meaning the clothes matched their characters personalities AND they looked nice. Miranda would’ve never wanted to wear the more vintage feminine styles Charlotte did for example, even though Cynthia Nixon had a great body too and would’ve looked wonderful. 

Miranda's style was my least favorite, but I do think most of what she wore suited her. She wasn't froufrou like Charlotte. Every now and then I did hate her looks though. 

sex-and-the-city-bad-outfits-3.jpg?quali

• Love 2