Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

That line has always bugged! I’m like um what was so hard? What did he do to hurt you so much? He bought your apartment? He didn’t say yes to getting back together right away? He invaded your home he paid for with boxes of belongings? He wanted to marry you? Oh! You had to manipulate your responsible best friend to buy your home? That’s what hurt? 

He bought her a computer when your first one crashed............he fixed the structural damage in your apartment....... he took you back after cheating......he tolerated you bringing the person you cheated with to his cabin.......... LOL

Oh wait......... he bought an engagement ring that Carrie didn't like.  That was the real crime!  Of course she should whine about him to Berger 🙄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

I think Carrie had intimacy issues.  She always wanted guys until she has them, and then pushes them away.  She was like that character that Bon Jovi played, the one she met at her therapist's office who loses interest as soon as he sleeps with them.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, izabella said:

I think Carrie had intimacy issues.  She always wanted guys until she has them, and then pushes them away.  She was like that character that Bon Jovi played, the one she met at her therapist's office who loses interest as soon as he sleeps with them.

Absolutely! And that would’ve been a good issue to explore. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I was like this in middle school. I was a nerdy little ugly duckling. I remember having a bit of a crush on this older boy and wanting so badly to be pretty like the girls he dated. I might as well have been invisible. I had a high school glow up, wore contacts instead of glasses, started wearing makeup, and he began hitting on me all the time. I instantly lost interest. I guess I figured he was cute but not too special otherwise. 

I've never been that way as an adult. I like guys who like me. I'm turned off by neediness and pushiness, but a wishy-washy fuck boy like Big? No thanks. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Jillybean said:

It always bugged me when Carrie tells Berger that she and Aidan got back together "because we hadn't sufficiently hurt one another enough the first time" or something to that effect. I always wondered, how did Aidan hurt Carrie...the first time around or the second time around? Pretty sure she was the only one inflicting damage.

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well, you see, after Carrie cheated on him and decided on a whim that she wanted him back (after he got skinny) he didn't take her back right away.  And then when she screamed You have to forgive me at him he couldn't do that right away either.

This is all said with sarcasm of course.

Good catch on that line.  I don't remember that jumping out at me, but it should have.

Aidan was nothing but a good boyfriend to Carrie and FAR MORE understanding about all of her issues than many other people would’ve been. 

Like with most things in life I will give people a pass for the first mistake of every kind. Carrie and Aidan the first time around didn’t bother me (although I thought she was dumb for messing things up with him by the affair with Big); but Carrie knew when she ran into him again that she didn’t really want to build a future with him.

She had no business getting back with him, certainly no business letting him buy the apartment and accepting his proposal. 

And then she was indignant that he was angry and “hated” her after it was all over. Aidan was nothing but 100% upstanding with her no matter how badly she hurt him- a class act. But some how or another Aidan hurt Carrie by not giving her a free place to live and wanting a legal commitment from her after SHE AGREED to marry him. 

That happened to my Mom with the “great love of her life” (not my father)- he proposed and gave her a ring and then took it back! When she asked about wedding planning he said “well maybe we don’t really need to get married.”😒

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Carrie is an unreliable narrator when talking about her past relationships.   I'm sure in her mind she thinks at best her and Aidan were both equally responsible for their break up or at worst thinks Aidan was at fault.

14 hours ago, izabella said:

I think Carrie had intimacy issues. 

Let's just say I have some familiarity with this.  Carrie chose Big because as much as she said she wanted it to work and wanted him to say she is the one I do think she knew it would fail. When she was with Aidan the first time things were going well so of course she fucked it up. Then the second time with Aidan things were going well and she fucked it up again.  But to hear Carrie tell it they both blah blah blah.  

It was never really talked about on the show but Carrie had a lot of issues.  In real life she would never have a happy healthy relationship till she dealt with those issues.   

• Love 6

Carrie and Aidan 2.0 was much improved for Carrie.  Carrie was very relaxed and happy with Aidan.  However, she still allowed Big to have way too much power in her life, she disrespected Aidan by letting Big spew all over their supposed domestic bliss with his problems.

She was good at being emotionally intimate with Aidan, but she couldn't keep Big far away, which I guess is also a problem with her intimacy.

I do think she was pretty happy though and if Aidan didn't push the issue of marriage they would have lasted a while longer.  I do not blame him for pushing the issue, but Carrie was doing pretty well for a while.

It's kind of the same thing with Aleks.  WIth Aleks everything was going well -- it seemed too good to be true actually.  There were two major obstacles:  Miranda hated him and Aleks suddenly became obsessed with Paris out of nowhere.  So I don't blame Carrie for this relationship necessarily.  Big came back and decided he wanted her but it's plot contrivance and so is Aleks suddenly hating New York.  Let's say those things didn't happen, Carrie could still potentially be with Aleks.  Unfortunately Big came back and put all sorts of ideas in her head and she couldn't be happy in Paris and support Aleks like a real partner. With Big back in her head she couldn't be that supportive partner to Aleks it was too much emotional work that she didn't want to do.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie and Aidan 2.0 was much improved for Carrie.  Carrie was very relaxed and happy with Aidan.  However, she still allowed Big to have way too much power in her life, she disrespected Aidan by letting Big spew all over their supposed domestic bliss with his problems.

She was good at being emotionally intimate with Aidan, but she couldn't keep Big far away, which I guess is also a problem with her intimacy.

I do think she was pretty happy though and if Aidan didn't push the issue of marriage they would have lasted a while longer.  I do not blame him for pushing the issue, but Carrie was doing pretty well for a while.

I would agree with you, if Carrie weren't actively lying to Aidan about when she was hanging out with Big.

We have all discussed how Carrie was disrespectful to Aidan by inviting Big to the cabin, but before that, Carrie was supposed to be at Aidan's cabin for the weekend, and would tell him "I am going to the city to meet with my editor." and instead was going to meet Big for dinner.

I think Carrie was happy with Aidan during round two because she was not required to do much- until the proposal. She got a boyfriend to hang out with and have sex with, but she didn't have to change her life/routine or really explore her emotional issues. This is all FINE of course, I am not saying Carrie was required to do anything else (like actually deal with what lead her to the affair with Big etc) but I contend Aidan deserved better because Carrie knew he wanted more from the relationship. He didn't just want to "hang out" and have fun together indefinitely. 

• Love 5

Well she went from shrieking at squirrels and throwing pies on the ground to eventually becoming happy and relaxed in his cabin (before Big freaked out about Willow), so she did some evolving.

Carrie also gave up smoking, permanently even.  She tried to help with Pete but she was quite bad at it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well she went from shrieking at squirrels and throwing pies on the ground to eventually becoming happy and relaxed in his cabin (before Big freaked out about Willow), so she did some evolving.

Carrie also gave up smoking, permanently even.  She tried to help with Pete but she was quite bad at it.

(bolding mine) You are 100% right, which is very hard and I have to give Carrie many kudos for being able to do that!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

(bolding mine) You are 100% right, which is very hard and I have to give Carrie many kudos for being able to do that!

Remember "Splat" in Season 6?  Her friend tries to get a cigarette off of her but Carrie says she quit and Lexi says "Fuck you"  hahahahhahaha.  

Also finally after going to Paris because she's stressed and wants to fit in she finally starts smoking again and Aleks says "I love the smoking. It's very sexy" and Carrie says "It's killing me!"  It reminds me of how my brother said he went to another country and he felt like he had to smoke "or else it would be rude".  LOL!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 5

Was SJP a smoker in real life?  If she was I wonder if she quit when Carrie quit.

23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

22 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Carrie was happy with Aidan during round two because she was not required to do much- until the proposal. She got a boyfriend to hang out with and have sex with, but she didn't have to change her life/routine or really explore her emotional issues.

At some point their differences were going to become a problem. We saw a glimpse when Carrie met the shoe importer and she starting hanging out with him. She wanted to go out to some new club and Aidan didn't understand the exclusivity of it and needing a key or something to get in.  She did realize who she had at home was much better than the guy who was supposed to get her in the club though at the end of the episode.   She was never going to be content to cuddle up on the couch and watch a TV show.  In the second movie she didn't even want Big putting a TV in their bedroom.   

• Love 5

Clearly I think about  SATC way too much. I was driving to work this morning and for some reason Carrie, Big and Aidan popped into my head. And it suddenly occurred to me Carrie wanted to be with Big because she thought that would mean she was good enough for him.  She didn't ultimately want to be with Aidan because she thought she wasn't good enough for him.   She had a lot of insecurities which she covered up but they were there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 9/13/2021 at 8:22 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think that deep down she really wanted Big.  It crushed her when he married Natasha out of the blue.   She never seemed 100% comfortable in her relationship with Aiden.  Honestly, he shouldn't have taken her back.  And then they hook up in Abu Dhabi?  I hated that movie for that very reason.  Just pick a man, Carrie!!! 

16 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I’m so shocked and saddened. Way too young.

RIP Willie.  I loved his character on the show.  He was a great friend to Carrie, and vice versa.  

• Love 4

I'm a little blown away by how many actors have written about Willie on Twitter and Instagram.  He had quite a career, he's been in a lot of my favourite movies and shows throughout the years.  It seems like he had a lot of friends in Hollywood and touched a lot of lives.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.08.39 AM.png

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm watching WWHL with Melissa McCarthy and Chelsea Handler. Andy asks who they find the to be the least funny SATC character, and they both said Samantha. Samantha wasn't even my favorite, but I was shocked. 

That's so dumb.  🙄. Are they being paid to say that to help promote the reboot?

It's a dumb question and a dumb answer.  So silly.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Samantha was hilarious! I also really enjoyed Miranda's sarcasm. 

They both have shows on HBO so I find that answer really suspicious with the timing of the reboot.  There's no way someone like Chelsea wouldn't prefer Samantha and Melissa is a comedienne herself.  They know humour.  Chelsea is so raunchy and we're expected to believe she doesn't think Sam is funny?  Please.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They both have shows on HBO so I find that answer really suspicious with the timing of the reboot.  There's no way someone like Chelsea wouldn't prefer Samantha and Melissa is a comedienne herself.  They know humour.  Chelsea is so raunchy and we're expected to believe she doesn't think Sam is funny?  Please.

Exactly!!! I was expecting them both to say Charlotte. Love her, but she wasn't Samantha funny.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Andy Cohen is basically a low rent Graham Norton.

When I first read that sentence I read Graham Norton as James Corden.  Don't like either of them.  And can't stand Andy Cohen if only because he foisted the Real Housewives on us.  

• Love 5

I’m still gutted about Willie. While I didn’t like how the show treated Stanford like Carrie’s pet gay best friend and I REALLY hated how the movies had him and Anthony and up together — because it was so great for the show to make it clear that two characters aren’t going to automatically end il together just because of their common sexual orientation — I still loved him.

• Love 3

Was watching some SATC clips, and I was reminded why I adore Charlotte so much. It's not because I think she was always in the right or couldn't be annoying. A pet peeve of mine is actually grown women who squeal and come across desperate. But her life ultimately ends up pretty perfect. I was initially drawn to her because I relate to her more good girl ways, and she's so pretty, gorgeously dressed, and sweet. She always had money, but then she marries a good guy who loves her and has two daughters. I don't know if I can think of many other TV characters who have everything like Charlotte. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Pam on The Office, Rachel/Monica/Phoebe on Friends?  Most of the shows I like like happy endings - only a few like the sad ones,  like Seinfeld.

Have only seen bits of The Office, enough Friends to know the characters by name, and I didn't know Seinfeld had a sad ending! I just remember all the upbeat episodes I watched. 

• Love 1

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/entertainment/airbnb-sex-and-they-city-carrie-apartment-cec/index.html

Airbnb will rent out Carrie Bradshaw's 'Sex and the City' apartment for two nights in November

To be clear, this isn't Carrie's original apartment -- the interior seen on the series was constructed on a set, and the exterior of the brownstone was actually located in the West Village and had a fascinating history of its own. It's a recreation, located in New York's tony Chelsea neighborhood. (Oh, and though the stay only costs $23 before taxes, guests are responsible for getting themselves to New York, per Airbnb.)

Drooling, I want this place so bad.

211103110934-restricted-04-airbnb-sex-and-the-city-carrie-apartment-exlarge-169.jpg

211103110627-restricted-02-airbnb-sex-and-the-city-carrie-apartment-exlarge-169.jpg

211103110803-restricted-03-airbnb-sex-and-the-city-carrie-apartment-exlarge-169.jpg

211103104355-restricted-01-airbnb-sex-and-the-city-carrie-apartment-exlarge-169.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I took the article to mean that Kim will be the narrator of the series.  If it's anything like How I Met your Mother, we may never see Kim.  Bob Saget narrated that series and did not appear on it.

Josh Radnor played the role of Ted Mosby for the duration of How I Met Your Mother, but Bob Saget was the actor to voice the older version of the character. ... Though the actor never directly appeared in the series, his involvement was integral as it became the plot's driving force.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

A financial person calculated Carrie's income and expenses. Of course, this show is fantasy but it is still interesting.

I can not link the article because it is behind a paywall but here is the summary:

So, ladies and gentlemen, the verdict is in! Carries Bradshaw earned $4,024 per month, yet she spent $11,581. It means that not only are her expenses almost triple her salary but there’s no way she could have afforded to live in Greenwich Village, order take-out twice a day, take endless cabs and sip on cosmos all week long.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, qtpye said:

A financial person calculated Carrie's income and expenses. Of course, this show is fantasy but it is still interesting.

I can not link the article because it is behind a paywall but here is the summary:

Interesting, and sounds about right. Real-life Carrie with her job would have probably lived in a modest apartment with roommates, bought affordable clothes and shoes, and watched it on going out, takeout, and those cab rides. 

• Love 6

Show never made sense that way.

And to think about it, rooting for Carrie went south season 5 (or before for some of us). Besides being a colossal entitled bitch to her friends, it's hard to root for the woman who insisted Aiden forgive her for BREAKING MY HEART when he and we knew she'd do it again. 

• Love 12
On 11/3/2021 at 1:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Airbnb will rent out Carrie Bradshaw's 'Sex and the City' apartment for two nights in November

To be clear, this isn't Carrie's original apartment -- the interior seen on the series was constructed on a set, and the exterior of the brownstone was actually located in the West Village and had a fascinating history of its own. It's a recreation, located in New York's tony Chelsea neighborhood. (Oh, and though the stay only costs $23 before taxes, guests are responsible for getting themselves to New York, per Airbnb.)

It's an interesting recreation, not bad, but not identical either.

I have photos of me in front of the building on Perry Street.  I went on the SATC tour bus years ago.  It actually has a tour guide, LOL.  There was also a stop at Magnolia Bakery and the Church of the Transfiguration, which was where Samantha met the priest she called "Friar Fuck", and which incidentally was the church where I got married.  Another interesting bit about that church is that it's Anglican-Episcopal and our priests can marry.

Knowing the City the way I do I always knew that Carrie's apartment had to be filmed in Greenwich Village even though her address was supposed to be on East 73rd Street.

• Love 3