Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

On 4/16/2021 at 4:53 AM, ifionlyknew said:

https://pagesix.com/2021/04/15/john-corbett-reveals-he-is-part-of-sex-and-the-city-reboot/

For anyone who is an Aidan fan this is good news. For me this news makes me think the reboot is just going to be same ole same ole.

I am an Aidan fan, but I don’t think he belongs in the reboot. Carrie running into him in Abu Dhabi was contrived, and if Carrie is divorced/widowed I don’t want Aidan pining after her. No just no. 

Im glad John Corbett has work of course, but this revival is starting to sound just as you said “same old, same old”.

• Love 8

I just rewatched the Berger episodes. I liked Berger at first, until his insecurities started showing in full force. He was funny. I remember the very first time I watched the post it episode and how shocked I was that he did that. 

A woman's right to shoes was a fantastic episode and I really enjoyed rewatching it. Yes, Carrie could be terrible but she was completely right in that episode and I loved that she registered for just that one pair of shoes.

During the co-op board meeting when they interview Robert, Miranda says "let's make it quick, I have a baby with the chicken pox upstairs." Then Robert walks and Miranda immediately starts flirting. Then when the one lady wants to actually ask him questions, Miranda cuts her off and says "please, we'll get to it." I get it, Robert was cute and Miranda was horny but Miranda, you were the one who said let's make it quick. 

I also agree with the Dior dress. It was iconic but completely the wrong dress to wear to meet Natasha. Yes let me apologize to the woman who's husband I slept with while wearing a skintight, lowcut, backless dress with no bra.

Edited by MaggieG
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

During the co-op board meeting when they interview Robert, Miranda says "let's make it quick, I have a baby with the chicken pox upstairs." Then Robert walks and Miranda immediately starts flirting. Then when the one lady wants to actually ask him questions, Miranda cuts her off and says "please, we'll get to it." I get it, Robert was cute and Miranda was horny but Miranda, you were the one who said let's make it quick. 

That's what I think is funny about the scene!  She's so in love with Robert at first sight that she completely changes her personality.  I mean it is Blair Underwood!  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

A woman's right to shoes was a fantastic episode and I really enjoyed rewatching it. Yes, Carrie could be terrible but she was completely right in that episode and I loved that she registered for just that one pair of shoes.

There are traditional homemakers who don't think it's fair they're not celebrated the way women with degrees are. But they've still had bridal showers, bachelorette parties, weddings, baby showers, gender reveals, children's birthday parties, etc. What do career women get exactly, if they don't get a little credit for their careers? I loved that the episode highlighted childfree single women are people who need respect too! I don't need a registry or anything like that, but I think sometimes married folks/parents think the world revolves around them, that single folks have no stress, no problems, and who cares if their belongings are taken, no matter how expensive. Good for Carrie for sticking up for herself. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's what I think is funny about the scene!  She's so in love with Robert at first sight that she completely changes her personality.  I mean it is Blair Underwood!  

I feel the same way about Blair Underwood. 

4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

There are traditional homemakers who don't think it's fair they're not celebrated the way women with degrees are. But they've still had bridal showers, bachelorette parties, weddings, baby showers, gender reveals, children's birthday parties, etc. What do career women get exactly, if they don't get a little credit for their careers? I loved that the episode highlighted childfree single women are people who need respect too! I don't need a registry or anything like that, but I think sometimes married folks/parents think the world revolves around them, that single folks have no stress, no problems, and who cares if their belongings are taken, no matter how expensive. Good for Carrie for sticking up for herself. 

Yes I agree. If you’re single, graduation is the last “party” that you get (outside of maybe a retirement party). Also additionally, I think many people forget all of the social praise and attention they receive for being married and parents. I’m not saying that attention is “bad” or “wrong”, but it’s there!

I was on Carrie’s side with that one. Now I wouldn’t have worn my $400 shoes to a party like that (with a bunch of people I didn’t know)- but she had every right to be repaid for them. A simple “I’m so sorry your shoes were stolen, here’s a check.” that’s all the woman had to say. That bullshit about spending that much on shoes- “before I had a real life” ummm no. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I agree. If you’re single, graduation is the last “party” that you get (outside of maybe a retirement party). Also additionally, I think many people forget all of the social praise and attention they receive for being married and parents. I’m not saying that attention is “bad” or “wrong”, but it’s there!

I was on Carrie’s side with that one. Now I wouldn’t have worn my $400 shoes to a party like that (with a bunch of people I didn’t know)- but she had every right to be repaid for them. A simple “I’m so sorry your shoes were stolen, here’s a check.” that’s all the woman had to say. That bullshit about spending that much on shoes- “before I had a real life” ummm no. 

Blair is a beautiful specimen, isn't he?

Yep, I think it's wonderful to celebrate engagements, marriages, babies, all of it. But let's remember all the single, childfree people who spend a lot of their time and money celebrating you. It can be really hurtful for someone who's gone all out for their friends' various celebrations throughout the years to not have these people show up to a graduation or grad party or whatever. 

Yes, that woman was so rude. I have single friends who juggle more than two jobs and go to school. It really ticks them off when people assume they don't have lives because they don't have spouses and or children. I can't blame them. 

• Love 10
On 4/18/2021 at 8:00 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I am an Aidan fan, but I don’t think he belongs in the reboot. Carrie running into him in Abu Dhabi was contrived, and if Carrie is divorced/widowed I don’t want Aidan pining after her. No just no. 

Im glad John Corbett has work of course, but this revival is starting to sound just as you said “same old, same old”.

I LOATHED the character assassination on Aidan in the wretched 2nd movie. I prefer to pretend it didn't happen, the way so many series have plotlines, character deaths, etc for the sake of their revivals. I sort of think JC should want better for Aidan but that's dumb of me. A paycheck is a paycheck.  He has work on Rebel, too.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I just rewatched the Berger episodes. I liked Berger at first, until his insecurities started showing in full force. He was funny. I remember the very first time I watched the post it episode and how shocked I was that he did that. 

I also agree with the Dior dress. It was iconic but completely the wrong dress to wear to meet Natasha. Yes let me apologize to the woman who's husband I slept with while wearing a skintight, lowcut, backless dress with no bra.

I get what your are saying but Carrie was always insecure about Natasha's looks and I believe the character would not have the nerve to meet Natasha unless she was looking her very best because Carrie has always been a little shallow.

I like Natasha's maturity in handling that scene. However, ironically, even if she is pretty, I always found her looks a little cookie cutter and bland. I actually think Carrie is much more interesting looking with her off beat attractiveness. I would probably remember Carrie's face but forget Natasha's a very easily, ymmv.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I LOATHED the character assassination on Aidan in the wretched 2nd movie. I prefer to pretend it didn't happen, the way so many series have plotlines, character deaths, etc for the sake of their revivals. I sort of think JC should want better for Aidan but that's dumb of me. A paycheck is a paycheck.  He has work on Rebel, too.

I felt the same about Steve cheating. Hated it and prefer to pretend it didn't happen. 

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I get what your are saying but Carrie was always insecure about Natasha's looks and I believe the character would not have the nerve to meet Natasha unless she was looking her very best because Carrie has always been a little shallow.

I like Natasha's maturity in handling that scene. However, ironically, even if she is pretty, I always found her looks a little cookie cutter and bland. I actually think Carrie is much more interesting looking with her off beat attractiveness. I would probably remember Carrie's face but forget Natasha's a very easily, ymmv.

I personally think Bridget Moynahan is absolutely beautiful, but I get what you mean. I know friends and I can get insecure even when another woman truly isn't all that. Sometimes this could be low self-esteem. Sometimes you know you're cute, but you're with someone who will talk about how hot his ex wife is or whatever. It can really mess with your head. Even when they're NOT Natasha, if you're not careful you can start picking yourself apart and putting yourself down and the other person up. I think it really hurt Carrie Big was always nope, no marriage, not this guy! Then boom, he's engaged to a woman who's younger than her out of nowhere. 

One thing I found really truthful was that a gorgeous woman is no guarantee of anything. Big was physically attracted to both of them, but he ultimately found Carrie was the one he could not live without. She made him think, made him laugh, kept him on his toes. I don't think Natasha was written to be the "idiot stick figure with no soul" in anyone other than Carrie's eyes, but she was supposed to be a nice girl who was all looks. Even if men are more visual than we are, most of them do need more than that. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I felt the same about Steve cheating. Hated it and prefer to pretend it didn't happen. 

I personally think Bridget Moynahan is absolutely beautiful, but I get what you mean. I know friends and I can get insecure even when another woman truly isn't all that. Sometimes this could be low self-esteem. Sometimes you know you're cute, but you're with someone who will talk about how hot his ex wife is or whatever. It can really mess with your head. Even when they're NOT Natasha, if you're not careful you can start picking yourself apart and putting yourself down and the other person up. I think it really hurt Carrie Big was always nope, no marriage, not this guy! Then boom, he's engaged to a woman who's younger than her out of nowhere. 

One thing I found really truthful was that a gorgeous woman is no guarantee of anything. Big was physically attracted to both of them, but he ultimately found Carrie was the one he could not live without. She made him think, made him laugh, kept him on his toes. I don't think Natasha was written to be the "idiot stick figure with no soul" in anyone other than Carrie's eyes, but she was supposed to be a nice girl who was all looks. Even if men are more visual than we are, most of them do need more than that. 

I think Natasha was just what she seemed. A lovely mature young woman who had very little drama. On paper, the perfect companion for someone like Big. I think he got bored of her very quickly and was addicted to the toxicity that was his relationship with Carrie, though he did not admit it at first. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I've always liked Bridget Monahan.  Poor Natasha had her husband cheat on her with Carrie and poor Bridget had her boyfriend Tom Brady leave her while she was pregnant for Gisele.

Carrie disliked Natasha for obvious reasons but at the end of the day she did sleep with her husband.  Natasha was lot more polite than I would have been.  

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

1 minute ago, qtpye said:

I think Natasha was just what she seemed. A lovely mature young woman who had very little drama. On paper, the perfect companion for someone like Big. I think he got bored of her very quickly and was addicted to the toxicity that was his relationship with Carrie, though he did not admit it at first. 

I think Natasha was exactly what she seemed as well, a beautiful mature young woman who probably would've been a great wife to the right person (we have no indication that she was a poor wife to Big) but Big didnt want to be married to her. Carrie only thought she was a evil stick figure with no soul because Big wanted to marry her- Natasha was a perfectly normal person.

I have noticed in the generation above myself (I am 35) there is an attitude that if a woman was attractive (whatever that means in someone's social milieu) she would have no trouble finding a husband or her husband staying with her. I know marriage patterns have changed a lot in North America in the last 50yrs, but I dont think any of my peers have thought that being attractive guaranteed you a happy relationship/marriage. Women/Men who are attractive may get approached more, but thats about it.

4 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Carrie disliked Natasha for obvious reasons but at the end of the day she did sleep with her husband.  Natasha was lot more polite than I would have been.

In her house no doubt. That was just uncouth- Natasha would've had every right to go off if she came home and found Carrie in her home eating her food, coming out of HER BED. She could've called security on her. Also Big was totally disrespectful, plenty of people cheat (for a variety of reasons), but brining the other person into your spouses home into their bed is a completely disregard for boundaries and your spouse as a person. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

In her house no doubt. That was just uncouth- Natasha would've had every right to go off if she came home and found Carrie in her home eating her food, coming out of HER BED. She could've called security on her. Also Big was totally disrespectful, plenty of people cheat (for a variety of reasons), but brining the other person into your spouses home into their bed is a completely disregard for boundaries and your spouse as a person. 

Am I remembering correctly that she was with Big in her apartment while Aiden was out of town?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Am I remembering correctly that she was with Big in her apartment while Aiden was out of town?

Yes but that was HER apartment. Aidan wasn't her husband and he didn't live there (they were just dating). Carrie could do whatever she wanted to do in her own house, if Aidan lived there and was paying half the bills he would've had a right to another level of indignation that she allowed Big to come in and touch his things/eat his food etc.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Natasha was exactly what she seemed as well, a beautiful mature young woman who probably would've been a great wife to the right person (we have no indication that she was a poor wife to Big) but Big didnt want to be married to her. Carrie only thought she was a evil stick figure with no soul because Big wanted to marry her- Natasha was a perfectly normal person.

I have noticed in the generation above myself (I am 35) there is an attitude that if a woman was attractive (whatever that means in someone's social milieu) she would have no trouble finding a husband or her husband staying with her. I know marriage patterns have changed a lot in North America in the last 50yrs, but I dont think any of my peers have thought that being attractive guaranteed you a happy relationship/marriage. Women/Men who are attractive may get approached more, but thats about it.

Yes, it felt like the general attitude was like "if you are a highly attractive women you had it made or would marry well". I think real life and fiction has proven that life is a little more complicated than that.

Being attractive is no guarantee of happiness, particularly if you attract and choose the wrong people.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

Being attractive is no guarantee of happiness, particularly if you attract and choose the wrong people.

Jennifer Lopez might know something about this.

I do think Big thought Natasha was "wife" material.  His first wife also seemed like Natasha.  When Carrie and her friends had lunch and they were talking about The Way They Were I think there was a lot of truth there. However when Carrie thought complicated I thought drama.  She always wanted her and Big to be farther along than they were. Or more than they were.  I can see where Big just wanted someone who was easier.

• Love 6

Carrie was insecure when it came to Natasha and it wasn’t just about looks. Natasha seemed to be the jet-setting high society type that Carrie on some levels wanted to be.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Carrie was insecure when it came to Natasha and it wasn’t just about looks. Natasha seemed to be the jet-setting high society type that Carrie on some levels wanted to be.

Yes, also Natasha was highly educated and younger. Not that Carrie wasnt educated, but being a sex/dating columnist isn't the same as writing for the New York Times. As Carrie said to Charlotte when Charlotte made her read the wedding announcement, Natasha was "Vera Wang" and Carrie was the outfit next to the ad for penile implants. 

• Love 8

Natasha is highly educated?  Did we know that?  Carrie made fun of Natasha mixing up you're and your, not that I particularly like that plotline.

I think Bridget Moynahan is gorgeous too.  I like her too.  She was good in the Natasha role, with what little she was given to do.

• Love 3

So far, this is the only thing I can find about Natasha online:

before Big marries a twenty-six-year-old socialite and Ralph Lauren employee named Natasha (Bridget Moynahan) after dating her for only five months.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Natasha is highly educated?  Did we know that?  Carrie made fun of Natasha mixing up you're and your, not that I particularly like that plotline.

I think Bridget Moynahan is gorgeous too.  I like her too.  She was good in the Natasha role, with what little she was given to do.

Didnt Natasha work for a charity foundation? I got the impression that she had greater than a college education, wasnt she in Paris for some type of advanced schooling? And she spoke French fluently (Carrie didnt speak any other languages). I could see Carrie being jealous of that as well. 

12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So far, this is the only thing I can find about Natasha online:

She worked for Ralph Lauren- thanks.

I have no recollection of Natasha speaking French....  

Natasha explains that she's shopping for a dress for the upcoming Women in the Arts luncheon she's helping organize

Not sure if that's a charity either.

6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have no recollection of Natasha speaking French....  

Not sure if that's a charity either.

She didnt speak French when Big met her in Paris? I could be 100% wrong on these details!

Women in the Arts sounds like a charitable organization to promote the arts......but again I could be 100% wrong it has been a while since I have seen the early seasons.

I assume she had to speak French while working for RL there:

Is it you?
Hey. What are you doing here?
What am I doing here? What are you doing here?
I just got back this week from Paris.
This is Natasha.
Hi. It's a pleasure to meet you. I've heard so much about you.
Really?
Natasha's parents have a house in East Hampton. We just came up for the weekend.
Excuse me. It's nice to meet you.
I'm sorry, I'm just a little stunned here. And confused.
Who is she?
I meant to call you. She's this girl that I met in Paris.
She works for Ralph Lauren in Europe.

I still had no knowledge of Natasha being highly educated though.

With the Carrie Vera Wang comment, I think she just thought that Natasha seemed high class, UES and Carrie seemed downtown and associated with sex because of column.

because of HER column.  

I don't think it was a comment about intelligence.  But that's just me.  Carrie also has about 10 years on Natasha too.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Quof said:

Didn't Natasha go to Brown?  Where she got fat.

LOL!

That was so fucking mean of that person.  

Jenna went to college with Natasha. Go ahead, tell her what you told me.
OK, well, Natasha lived in my dorm, freshmen year at Tulane. Once, she showered with a guy in the community bathroom.
And...
And she gained like ten pounds, sophomore year.

• LOL 2
21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I was on Carrie's side too. Her friend was the one who made her take off her shoes and they were stolen. Instead of being sorry she acted like it was no big deal and Carrie was making too big of a deal over it. For once Carrie wasn't making a big deal over nothing. Her shoes were stolen. Whether they were 20 or 400 she had right to be pissed.

19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Blair is a beautiful specimen, isn't he?

Yep, I think it's wonderful to celebrate engagements, marriages, babies, all of it. But let's remember all the single, childfree people who spend a lot of their time and money celebrating you. It can be really hurtful for someone who's gone all out for their friends' various celebrations throughout the years to not have these people show up to a graduation or grad party or whatever. 

Yes, that woman was so rude. I have single friends who juggle more than two jobs and go to school. It really ticks them off when people assume they don't have lives because they don't have spouses and or children. I can't blame them. 

I'm single and it has annoyed me. People at work and family assume that. Well you don't have a spouse or kids so you don't mind staying late to work right? Its not like you have anything to do. You don't mind eating Sunday dinner early anything you have to do you can get done after dinner. When they got push back their reaction wasn't that different from Carrie's friend. Probably why I like the episode so much. Its not too often I'm in Carrie's shoes. Single people have lives too and its not rearrange their schedules around marriaged people's. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL!

That was so fucking mean of that person.  

Also, Natasha/ Bridgette was an extremely tall, thin woman- 10/20lbs on a woman that height, (even if she wasnt actress/model thin), is NOTHING, thats some alcohol and pancakes on vacation. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Jennifer Lopez might know something about this.

I do think Big thought Natasha was "wife" material.  His first wife also seemed like Natasha.  When Carrie and her friends had lunch and they were talking about The Way They Were I think there was a lot of truth there. However when Carrie thought complicated I thought drama.  She always wanted her and Big to be farther along than they were. Or more than they were.  I can see where Big just wanted someone who was easier.

From what we saw of Natasha, she gave the impression she would have been married for life had she not been cheated on. She came across as a traditional woman without any drama nor need for it. She didn't seem the type to cheat herself or get bored. 

I'm not sure about Jennifer. Have all the men she's been with been bad guys? She strikes me as someone who's not careful about who she selects and gets caught up in the excitement like a much younger person typically does. 

While I consider beauty a gift, I honestly think looks are a double-edge sword. I think with attractive people, they know they can just find someone else. lol Someone like J.Lo has looks AND money of her own too. There's no reason for her to stay with someone she's not happy with. We can all appreciate a beautiful person, but at least when you're not pretty, you know someone isn't just there for your looks either. When men are with you for the superficial, they're more likely to stray imo. 

• Love 2
On 4/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, MaggieG said:

Her friend was awful.  I would be mortified if one of my friends stole another person's shoes from a party I was hosting, but she was so nonchalant about the whole thing.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I was on Carrie's side too. Her friend was the one who made her take off her shoes and they were stolen. Instead of being sorry she acted like it was no big deal and Carrie was making too big of a deal over it. For once Carrie wasn't making a big deal over nothing. Her shoes were stolen. Whether they were 20 or 400 she had right to be pissed.

I'm single and it has annoyed me. People at work and family assume that. Well you don't have a spouse or kids so you don't mind staying late to work right? Its not like you have anything to do. You don't mind eating Sunday dinner early anything you have to do you can get done after dinner. When they got push back their reaction wasn't that different from Carrie's friend. Probably why I like the episode so much. Its not too often I'm in Carrie's shoes. Single people have lives too and its not rearrange their schedules around marriaged people's. 

I think this is part of why I love SATC and appreciate it more now that I am older. It showed how single people can be treated like pariahs and really disrespected. It happens at work, from friends, even by family. I remember complaining about being tired and being told "There's no reason for you to be tired. You don't have kids." I'm human and an insomniac. I know many parents who get a whole lot more sleep than I do. 

Remember that party the girls went to where they were the only singles and people treated them like oh, those poor single ladies? There's someone in my life where every time I see her she does a ring check. I don't think people mean to be hurtful, but people really can treat singles over 30 like oh how sad you're single! But you must not have any stress, because the only stress in life is being a mom, hardest, most important job ever don't you know! That reminds me of the episode where Samantha is told women who don't have kids are more likely to get breast cancer. I felt awful for Samantha, but the show did great with showing what it feels like to be a single, childless woman. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I think this is part of why I love SATC and appreciate it more now that I am older. It showed how single people can be treated like pariahs and really disrespected. It happens at work, from friends, even by family. I remember complaining about being tired and being told "There's no reason for you to be tired. You don't have kids." I'm human and an insomniac. I know many parents who get a whole lot more sleep than I do. 

Remember that party the girls went to where they were the only singles and people treated them like oh, those poor single ladies? There's someone in my life where every time I see her she does a ring check. I don't think people mean to be hurtful, but people really can treat singles over 30 like oh how sad you're single! But you must not have any stress, because the only stress in life is being a mom, hardest, most important job ever don't you know! That reminds me of the episode where Samantha is told women who don't have kids are more likely to get breast cancer. I felt awful for Samantha, but the show did great with showing what it feels like to be a single, childless woman. 

I think you are being far too kind. I wish that there was a huge social stigma against hound single people about getting married (particularly single women).

I don't believe anyone who harasses people about getting married cares about them in the least. I think the harassers just love to remind people that they are failing according to some outdated notions, particularly if the harassers have accomplished nothing else in their lives beyond being married and having kids.  

I remember an older man actually asking me "You are so pretty and smart...what is wrong with you that you seem not to be able to get married". I was all of 26.

I appreciated that when this show came out they were addressing a relatively new phenomena of single successful women in their thirties who were doing just fine and having a great time.

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I appreciated that when this show came out they were addressing a relatively new phenomena of single successful women in their thirties who were doing just fine and having a great time.

And then the show ended with all four of them being coupled. And a lot of people criticized them for that.  I didn't mind that they were all in relationships at the end of the series.  I wasn't a Steve fan but I understood Miranda wanted a family for Brady. Charlotte always wanted the fairy tale. Samantha finally let herself love and be loved. And Carrie finally got her Mr. Big.  If a woman wants to be married or in a serious relationship because it is what she wants then I think that is great. If a woman marries because she thinks it is what she should do then I think she needs to rethink things.

36 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I remember an older man actually asking me "You are so pretty and smart...what is wrong with you that you seem not to be able to get married". I was all of 26.

And this is the problem.  People assume if you are single it is because you can't find a mate.  Being part of a couple is considered the normal. And if you aren't coupled then you aren't normal.  It wasn't so long ago when filling out forms the choices were married, widowed or unmarried. Not single but unmarried.   Thankfully that has been changed but it took forever.

My husband died when I was 43. I'm 52 now. And I am single and I love it.  I went out with men after he died but it was never with the intention of finding a new husband.  I am the lone single woman amongst my friends.  

Samantha enjoyed being single. Charlotte did not. She wanted the ring.  Miranda wanted a boyfriend but not necessarily a husband.  And Carrie IMO wanted a man to choose her. We all remember her telling Big "say I'm the one".

With this latest reboot, sequel whatever we are calling it I would like to see at least one single woman.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

From what we saw of Natasha, she gave the impression she would have been married for life had she not been cheated on. She came across as a traditional woman without any drama nor need for it. She didn't seem the type to cheat herself or get bored. 

I'm not sure about Jennifer. Have all the men she's been with been bad guys? She strikes me as someone who's not careful about who she selects and gets caught up in the excitement like a much younger person typically does. 

While I consider beauty a gift, I honestly think looks are a double-edge sword. I think with attractive people, they know they can just find someone else. lol Someone like J.Lo has looks AND money of her own too. There's no reason for her to stay with someone she's not happy with. We can all appreciate a beautiful person, but at least when you're not pretty, you know someone isn't just there for your looks either. When men are with you for the superficial, they're more likely to stray imo. 

I dont think this applies to J.Lo (I think J.Lo is in love with the idea of being in love, but is a mentally/emotionally stable person, so she ends things when they dont work for her any more), I think a better example of the phenomenon you are talking about is "Halle Berry" the poster woman for "Beautiful Woman Syndrome".

The "Halle Berry" aka "Beautiful Woman Syndrome" is a condition where a woman is incredibly beautiful, and buys into the social notion that most things she wants will be hers, combined with the fact that when women are incredibly beautiful they often arent encouraged to be anything else- as such they spend an inappropriate amount of time and energy on the wrong things, have low self esteem and end up picking assholes, hence Halle Berry, who has been physically abused (partially deafened in one ear), cheated on, called racial slurs in public by the father of her child etc. Again, all the men doing these things to Halle were awful people (and no one deserves that), but what is it about Halle that she keeps ATTRACTING and engaging with these dipshits despite having the social power of being beautiful and wealthy (although she still has to live as a black woman under the white patriarchy).

Taking this back on topic to Sex and The City- I dont think Natasha ever suffered from the "Beautiful woman syndrome", although she wasn't the most fleshed out character in the world (I think the writers did that on purpose), it would've been really interesting had the affair lasted longer, or Big kept going back and forth etc etc. But did we ever have any scenes in the series WITHOUT one of the four ladies? I think everything was from their point of view. I think Natasha was just a woman who met a man, fell in love with him, and married him- said man had no interest in being faithful to her or being her husband, and cheated on her with his ex. She had the good sense to get out and not waste more of her time (which isn't that odd, it was a short marriage with no children).

If any of the characters suffered from that in a small way- it would be Charlotte. Remember when Charlotte went off on Harry when he was watching the baseball game during the Shabbat dinner? (Harry was rude to do that)- and she was yelling at him to "set the date" and "do you know how lucky you are to have me?" Charlotte being more conventionally attractive than Harry is what she was talking about there, but Charlotte was in her mid 30s, divorced and very much wanted to be married with children. Harry was a successful lawyer with a good character- if Harry was so "lucky" to have her, why was Charlotte still single? (I say this in regards to the notion of the "Beautiful woman syndrome") Charlotte realized what an ASSHOLE she was being there (again, Harry was rude, but her response was inappropriate) and because she did apologize and get her stick out of her ass, Harry proposed. Harry wanted to marry her, he already had a ring! Charlotte had learned with the entire Trey relationship, that getting what you think you want (on paper) doesnt mean jack shit if you are not compatible with the person in desires and lifestyle- deep down in your emotions.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

But did we ever have any scenes in the series WITHOUT one of the four ladies?

The only one I can think of is Sanford in the gay bar.

17 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Natasha was just a woman who met a man, fell in love with him, and married him- said man had no interest in being faithful to her or being her husband, and cheated on her with his ex. She had the good sense to get out and not waste more of her time (which isn't that odd, it was a short marriage with no children).

But would Big have cheated on Natasha with someone other than Carrie? I don't know.  I think if he did it wouldn't have been so soon.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

But would Big have cheated on Natasha with someone other than Carrie? I don't know.  I think if he did it wouldn't have been so soon.

I think he would've cheated- he cheated on his first wife. I think it might have been a while, Big would've found someone he was attracted to (maybe at work or something), I dont think he was the type that would've gone to a sex worker or walked into a bar just looking to hook up, but he had a history of cheating. 

Also, @ifionlyknew I too would like one of the women to be single in the reboot. If I had my way, Samantha would be written out with honor, and have died from the breast cancer returning- I say CARRIE should be single.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

It sometimes feels like Mr. Big married Natasha solely to get away from Carrie. I think he was enormously attracted to Carrie but did not think she was "wife material" for his own sexist reasons.

She was too available and needy with him (she was not like this with a lot of other boyfriends). Her fashion choices were bold and sassy instead of understated, sophisticated, and elegant like Natasha. Being a sex columnist was not as dignified as a working as an executive for Ralph Lauren, etc.

She also did things like stalk him at church, which I think he both hated and secretly loved.

I remember when he first approached Carrie for the affair, he was almost screaming that it was not working in his marriage. I think he was bored to death with the right choice.

I know a man who loves to complain about how jealous and possessive his girlfriends are. However, you can tell that he loves it when a woman is obsessed over him. He has rejected many attractive and emotionally stable "Natashas" because he is too insecure to be with a woman who is secure with herself.

• Love 6

Big always seemed to be at his most interested in Carrie when Carrie wasn't available to him, for whatever reason.

Carrie calling him out for that right before she goes to Paris was one of her better scenes from the later seasons.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, qtpye said:

It sometimes feels like Mr. Big married Natasha solely to get away from Carrie. I think he was enormously attracted to Carrie but did not think she was "wife material" for his own sexist reasons.

She was too available and needy with him (she was not like this with a lot of other boyfriends). Her fashion choices were bold and sassy instead of understated, sophisticated, and elegant like Natasha. Being a sex columnist was not as dignified as a working as an executive for Ralph Lauren, etc.

She also did things like stalk him at church, which I think he both hated and secretly loved.

I remember when he first approached Carrie for the affair, he was almost screaming that it was not working in his marriage. I think he was bored to death with the right choice.

I know a man who loves to complain about how jealous and possessive his girlfriends are. However, you can tell that he loves it when a woman is obsessed over him. He has rejected many attractive and emotionally stable "Natashas" because he is too insecure to be with a woman who is secure with herself.

I agree with this. His first wife (although his same age) was more of a "Natasha" type, she worked in publishing (when Carrie meets her, its for children's books), attractive, understated, perfectly pleasant. Big fully admits that marriage ended because he cheated (at least he was honest).

3 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Big always seemed to be at his most interested in Carrie when Carrie wasn't available to him, for whatever reason.

He loved the chase- and like @qtpye state above, he liked that Carrie was so fixated on him, it boosted his ego.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

f I had my way, Samantha would be written out with honor, and have died from the breast cancer returning- I say CARRIE should be single.

I think Samantha should be a huge success and living her best life somewhere.  And yes Carrie should be single.  Although I can see Miranda single after divorcing Steve. I can imagine once Brady went to college she realized her and Steve really didn't have anything in common. And she can seek out Robert and live her best life.

14 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I agree with this.  He didn't want Carrie coming to Paris to simply be with him.  He was not looking for a commitment with her and lo and behold he meets Natasha and before you know it he is marrying her. I actually did feel sorry for Carrie when all that happened. I have myself been Carrie in a situation like that.  A man tells you they don't want a commitment when what they really mean is they don't want a commitment with you.

Her fashion choices were bold and sassy instead of understated, sophisticated, and elegant like Natasha. Being a sex columnist was not as dignified as a working as an executive for Ralph Lauren, etc.

Big ran in some pretty high society circles.  I can see him not wanting to bring Carrie into that orbit. They went to that one party and yes the hostess had a stick up her ass but Carrie still chafed at being there.  

I think he liked the attention but also I think he was embarrassed by her sometimes.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I think Samantha should be a huge success and living her best life somewhere.  And yes Carrie should be single.  Although I can see Miranda single after divorcing Steve. I can imagine once Brady went to college she realized her and Steve really didn't have anything in common. And she can seek out Robert and live her best life.

I agree with this.  He didn't want Carrie coming to Paris to simply be with him.  He was not looking for a commitment with her and lo and behold he meets Natasha and before you know it he is marrying her. I actually did feel sorry for Carrie when all that happened. I have myself been Carrie in a situation like that.  A man tells you they don't want a commitment when what they really mean is they don't want a commitment with you.

Big ran in some pretty high society circles.  I can see him not wanting to bring Carrie into that orbit. They went to that one party and yes the hostess had a stick up her ass but Carrie still chafed at being there.  

I think he liked the attention but also I think he was embarrassed by her sometimes.  

12 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Carrie calling him out for that right before she goes to Paris was one of her better scenes from the later seasons.

25 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

In all honesty, I think in Big's perfect world he would have had Natasha to be on his arm for all his high society events and Carrie would be his mistress to have fun with on the side.

He never wanted to marry Carrie, but he wanted her in his life to always free to be with HIM, whenever HE was up for some fun.

A lot of rich men in previous generations had this type of arrangement. They married the "proper girl" for appearances but actually enjoyed being with their mistresses much more.

Carrie could be so helpless when it came to Big but I am glad she did not settle for being the side chick. I am also glad that Natasha and his ex-wife had the good sense to kick his cheating ass to the curb.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, qtpye said:

In all honesty, I think in Big's perfect world he would have had Natasha to be on his arm for all his high society events and Carrie would be his mistress to have fun with on the side.

So a couple years ago I had a FWB and I found out he was having a relationship with someone. I confronted him and he wanted me to be his side piece because he wasn't sure if things were going to work out with the girlfriend.  I told him nope. Also told him I might tell the girlfriend about me.  In the end I didn't have to because she broke up with him that same day.  Karma can be a bitch.

If Natasha hadn't caught Carrie in her apt that day I wonder how long the affair would have continued.  Didn't Natasha say something about how she already knew?  I remember Big wavering about leaving her because as he said "it was going to cost him".  You are right @qtpye he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

So a couple years ago I had a FWB and I found out he was having a relationship with someone. I confronted him and he wanted me to be his side piece because he wasn't sure if things were going to work out with the girlfriend.  I told him nope. Also told him I might tell the girlfriend about me.  In the end I didn't have to because she broke up with him that same day.  Karma can be a bitch.

If Natasha hadn't caught Carrie in her apt that day I wonder how long the affair would have continued.  Didn't Natasha say something about how she already knew?  I remember Big wavering about leaving her because as he said "it was going to cost him".  You are right @qtpye he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

I think Natasha suspected but didn't have definitive proof, catching Carrie in her damn house was the last straw (good for her!). I think Carrie would've kept on with the affair a while longer, because she was in denial that SHE was the mistress, and she was all about "I don't want anyone to get hurt." Having to face Natasha snapped her back into her senses.

You are right @qtpye Plenty of men still marry the proper woman and have mistresses, the danger is when 1. all of the parties didn't agree to that, 2. the mistress catches feelings and wants to displace the wife and messes up their life. A friend of my Mom said this is why he only had affairs with married women, because they understood the rules and had something to lose. But Big didnt want to admit that he was a sucky husband, and sucky boyfriend....you know all these things just "happened to him" without his active participation.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't want them to say Samantha died in the reboot.  I think that will piss off a lot of people.  There's no need for that.

Is Chris Noth joining the reboot?

No Chris Noth isnt doing the reboot.

• Useful 3

So if John Corbett is in the reboot and Chris Noth isn't are we to conclude Carrie ends up with Aidan?  Because third time is the charm? Not.

I like seeing callbacks to the original series anytime a series is rebooted but if they have Carrie and Aidan hooking up again I can only think the writers didn't even try to write something new. 

• Love 3