Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

Minor nitpick-In the episode An American Girl in Paris part 1, Carrie is meeting the girls at 6:00 for dinner for a 9:00 flight. This is right after 9/11, she would have to be at the airport at 7 at the very latest for a transatlantic flight.

I'd call that a pretty major error.  Ridiculous.

And if her book is being sold in Paris, wouldn't her publishing company jump all over having her doing promotions of the book all over the city and possibly places like London too?

Good point.  I wonder if she even let her publisher know she was living in Paris and therefore easily available for such things.  Nah, her life was too full for that.  :P

And she was bored within a few weeks.

This confused me but I realize Carrie was bored because she didn't have anyone catering to her.

I mean its Paris. I have a long list of places to see if I ever get to go. I think it would take me a

good few months to knock out everything on my list and all of the places I learn about while there.

Then venture out to other French cities. There's so many great places in France to visit. I mean

there's Nice, Marseille, Bordeaux,Orleans, Tours, Rouen, Dijion (sp? for all French cities) it would

be so cool to explore all of the places I've read about.

But this is also a part that shows Carrie won't last in a relationship. For all her wanting to be in one,

she can't handle it when its not all about her. Alek wasn't blowing her off during those weeks he was

working on his show. Would she be any less annoyed if it was Big who was busy for weeks working

on a business deal or any other man? In a relationship its not always going to be all about her. She

could have done a lot of things in Paris, promoted her book, she could have gone out to explore

Paris's night scene and their probably met new friends. Or even realize he'll be less busy soon

enough. No, she goes all sad for Carrie.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5

If we look at movie 2, Carrie was pretty bored in her marriage after a short time, too, and didn't really like who Big was.  Shades of Aiden...she didn't want to be at home eating fried chicken with him, just like she didn't want to be at home watching movies with Big.  She wants to be with these guys, but doesn't actually want to simply BE with them - they must entertain her the way she likes to be entertained (which boils down to going out and drinking) or she gets bored.

• Love 7

This confused me but I realize Carrie was bored because she didn't have anyone catering to her.

I mean its Paris. I have a long list of places to see if I ever get to go. I think it would take me a

good few months to knock out everything on my list and all of the places I learn about while there.

Then venture out to other French cities. There's so many great places in France to visit. I mean

there's Nice, Marseille, Bordeaux,Orleans, Tours, Rouen, Dijion (sp? for all French cities) it would

be so cool to explore all of the places I've read about.

Did she even start taking a French class?  She planned to live there, after all.  I'd think that would be a priority, non?  She could even make some friends. 

• Love 1

For a show with the word sex in the title, these women had some very boring sex. Most of the time they still had half of their clothes on and when the sex was over they never had a drop of sweat on them.

Boring, boring, boring.

Not sure if this has been noted but there is a podcast my son is hooked on..."Worst Idea of all Time." podcast. The subject is hilarious and an odd choice but it is two guys who do nothing for a month straight but watch "Sex in the City 2" and report on the smallest of crazy details let alone it was (in my opinion and I am lover of the series) completely unwatchable.  I felt like it was my duty to alert you all to this in depth look in to a terrible movie! That being said I was amazed how the characters were so out of character, just awful.

Did she even start taking a French class?  She planned to live there, after all.  I'd think that would be a priority, non?  She could even make some friends. 

Oui! She did learn and was bravely trying to use her language skills on French speaking natives,even on Aleks' nasty daughter answered her back in English and her book fans spoke to her in English.  I have been to France a few times, learned a few words but my accent gave me away everytime and the answer was always in English but the attempt was appreciated.  Besides, Paris is a melting pot of so many other nationalities these days so English is used widely.

• Love 1

They dominate Oxygen on the weekends and some week days.  In fact they get on my nerves more than ever.

I had no idea repeats are still being shown. From what I gathered, the edited versions for syndication went over like a lead balloon.

The edited versions suck.  I have the entire series - the first few seasons on VHS tape! - and watch them occasionally to see all the bits that were cut out. 

No disagreement here. I was just surprised a channel was showing the episodes. I gathered once the syndicated versions bombed, it dried up in syndication. (Which seems to be the case since it seems like only Oxygen shows them.)

• Love 1

I'm in Chicago and E! shows episodes in addition to Oxygen.

Huh! I am in upstate NY and haven't seen it on E! in some time, unless the time was changed or whatever, but thanks! (No real loss to me since, as I said, I'm not a fan of the cut episodes and do own the complete series; it's just the principle! LOL!)

• Love 2

Upon rewatch, I think the best part of the series - and the most unrealistic- is the amount of free time the women have to spend with each other. Brunches, lunches, dinners, walking each other to appointments, going on weekend trips, etc. It would be great to have that much time to spend with girlfriends, but sometimes it did stretch credulity. Case in point that got me thinking about the topic: when the four of them met for lunch in the park, all of them coming from different parts of the city. The journey there and back alone would probably take most real people's lunch hours. Although granted, Miranda and Samantha were really the only ones who worked in offices and probably had enough seniority to take longer lunches if they wanted.

They did touch on the topic briefly when Miranda had Brady, but it was dropped pretty quickly. I think part of the allure of the show for me is glossing over the fact that real life is far busier.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5

Upon rewatch, I think the best part of the series - and the most unrealistic- is the amount of free time the women have to spend with each other. Brunches, lunches, dinners, walking each other to appointments, going on weekend trips, etc. It would be great to have that much time to spend with girlfriends, but sometimes it did stretch credulity.

I'm wondering this constantly as I'm watching the show. I know it's TV, I know it's fiction, and I know I'm irrationally obsessed with the subject of all that free time, but here I am wondering. 

• Love 2

I've always appreciated how in a half hour, they manage 4 different storylines and merge them together when the ladies are together. Every episode, everyone has a story. No one seems to be "sacrificed".

I've always appreciated how in a half hour, they manage 4 different storylines and merge them together when the ladies are together. Every episode, everyone has a story. No one seems to be "sacrificed".

Although granted, Miranda and Samantha were really the only ones who worked in offices and probably had enough seniority to take longer lunches if they wanted.

Samantha owned her own firm, so she was free to spend her time as she saw fit. Miranda was a partner and generally they set their own schedules too, barring client meetings. Carrie and Charlotte were also flexible.

So it sort of makes sense that they could see each other a lot, but I agree, it definitely strained credulity at times. Especially in the first movie, when all four of them dropped everything to go to Mexico. (Even Miranda who was so busy and frazzled she could barely finish dinner at a restaurant with Steve, Brady, and Magda.)

• Love 1
Samantha owned her own firm, so she was free to spend her time as she saw fit. Miranda was a partner and generally they set their own schedules too, barring client meetings. Carrie and Charlotte were also flexible.

Oh your right. Also didn't Charlotte quit her job when she and Trey were trying to have a baby. I don't think

she ever worked again, did she?

Miranda was initially an associate, and even after becoming a partner, the other partners were giving her grief about how few hours she was working (example, after Brady was born).   When she was taking a long weekend for her Whatever (not honeymoon), she mentioned she couldn't take a long lunch.

Continuing my re-watch, and I really hate how Carrie was the best friend of the other girls. You got the impression that she was the glue that held the group together. I really wish the other girls had more scenes without her. Even little moments, like walking each other to appointments or coming over to each other's apartments late at night almost always involved Carrie and one of the other women. One of my favorite moments in the series was Samantha giving Miranda her hair appointment.

When Miranda had Brady and Charlotte was trying to get pregnant would have been a good time to pair those two up more. They made up for it in that scene in SATC 2, but I try to forget that abomination ever happened.

Upthread there was mention of Charlotte leaving her job. IIRC, they had her quit because the gallery wouldn't let them film there anymore.

• Love 4

Two favorite moments:

1) In "Hot Child in the City"- when Carrie says (about whose marijuana it is) "It's mine, and I'm taking it with me" as Hot Child In The City song plays in the background.

2) When Samantha responds "You Bitch" when their friend steals Charlotte's baby name. The timing is perfect.

You got the impression that she was the glue that held the group together. I really wish the other girls had more scenes without her

Same here. I get that Carrie was the protagonist but sometimes it felt a little too much like Carrie & Friends. There were little moments sprinkled about here and there without Carrie present and they always felt somehow special. (Maybe because they were so rare...) A good example was Charlotte finding out she was infertile, bumping into Miranda on the street, and Miranda following her home without Charlotte turning around.

• Love 2

Same here. I get that Carrie was the protagonist but sometimes it felt a little too much like Carrie & Friends. There were little moments sprinkled about here and there without Carrie present and they always felt somehow special. (Maybe because they were so rare...) A good example was Charlotte finding out she was infertile, bumping into Miranda on the street, and Miranda following her home without Charlotte turning around.

That was a good one. I remember reading after it first aired that Cynthia Nixon said it was the only scene she and Kristin had ever had alone together up until that point.

I'm watching the Miranda's baby shower episode and there's some great scenes with Miranda and Charlotte over planning the shower and getting baby advice.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

That was a good one. I remember reading after it first aired that Cynthia Nixon said it was the only scene she and Kristin had ever had alone together up until that point.

I'm watching the Miranda's baby shower episode and there's some great scenes with Miranda and Charlotte over planning the shower and getting baby advice.

I love Miranda's "Oh, Charlotte - what did you DO!" upon the reveal of the fried chicken at the shower.

• Love 2

And in the second movie they had that scene where they (rather cluelessly) marvel at how women who don't have live-in nannies and housekeepers manage to raise families. As the only parents of the group, they had that to bond over.

Yeah I know they meant for that scene to speak to the many mothers in the audience, but it came off as tone deaf and weird.

I love Miranda's "Oh, Charlotte - what did you DO!" upon the reveal of the fried chicken at the shower.

That was sweet. That chicken looked AMAZING too. I love any scene that took place in Charlotte's gorgeous apartment. I'd have fought tooth and nail for it too.

• Love 1

And utilities, and insurance, and food....

Didn't she give up all spousal support in exchange for the apartment?  What did she do for cash flow?

I'm not sure if it was stated or implied, but it always seemed to me Charlotte came from a wealthy family. Maybe she had a trust fund and/or inheritance.

On the topic of Charlotte, anyone else think it was shitty of Carrie in Luck Be An Old Lady to blow on that guy's dice when two seconds before his friend had said, "Not her [Charlotte]. Get the hot one!" It was weird because a few scenes later they all rightly rail on the guy who called Miranda fat.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

I did think it was crappy of Carrie to blow on that dude's dice, after he insulted Charlotte. The series never made a lot of out of this but IMO, Charlotte is by far the most classically beautiful of the four. It hadda feel good and unusual for Carrie to be regarded as "the hot one" next to Charlotte- although the meta-text of SATC would never acknowledge that. 

If I recall, Charlotte also signed a prenup with Trey that guaranteed her something like a million bucks flat-out if she and Trey were to ever divorce. Wasn't the apartment (with its expensive furnishings) just another present on top of the prenup? 

• Love 2

No, the girls weren't gambling. They were just observing when the guys approached them, looking for a Lady Luck. This dude was reacting to the fact that Carrie was in a sexy little outfit and Carrie was wearing, like a poodle skirt and buttoned up frilly blouse with her hair up. 

Edited by Melancholy

I'm sure a million bucks wouldn't be enough to support Charlotte even in her TV show lifestyle (which is like, humble compared to the movies) for the rest of her life. I just mentioned it as more substantial money that she had, in addition to the apartment. Charlotte was looking for a paying job after Trey divorced her- but no gallery would hire her so she had to docent.

I bet Charlotte didn't count on being single and unemployed for the rest of her days. She was living and dressing nicely to continue acting and looking like a eligible society lady of NY and an ideal catch for her next wealthy husband. She tried to do this quickly while she still remained beautiful and while she still had money- and she succeeded. Charlotte only had to make her prenup money and any family estate that she was drawing on last for like, a little less than two years, before she landed Harry. 

I know its TV but I love this show! The girls,relationships,clothes! I watch the show and wish I was the fifth girl hahaha. What they talk about they are so goofy and cute they are great friends for each other. I wish I knew a Carrie,Samantha or Miranda. Love Carries wardrobe and shoes! But $400 for shoes forget it lol! The girls get to go clubbing and eat breakfast together,talk about their problems,have fun,talk dirty. Love Miranda and Samantha humor they are hilarious! I've seen episodes on TV but I need the DVDs the show is that good!

Edited by glovesbritneybitch