Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

Sex And The City

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was all designer in Seasons 4-6!!!  Or at least mostly!  So crazy.  

When you go to the designer's fashion shows (or for me to see them on TV) you see the most outlandish or provocative designs.  That is what Pat Fields did with Carrie. She dressed her in things that were meant to garner attention.   I thought the other three women had very nice wardrobes. They all did look like three women who had the money to dress well. But with Carrie (who's clothes probably cost the most) it was hit or miss.  

8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was all designer in Seasons 4-6!!!  Or at least mostly!  So crazy.  

Carrie wears red when she was mugged.  But I love green too.

carrierobbed.jpg

Well fuck what green dress am I thinking of?  I do like that red dress but she wore green dress somewhere.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just now, blondiec0332 said:

When you go to the designer's fashion shows (or for me to see them on TV) you see the most outlandish or provocative designs.  That is what Pat Fields did with Carrie. She dressed her in things that were meant to garner attention.   I thought the other three women had very nice wardrobes. They all did look like three women who had the money to dress well. But with Carrie (who's clothes probably cost the most) it was hit or miss.  

The designs that Carrie wore per se were not that outlandish.  It was mostly how Pat Field mixed and matched everything to make outfits that nobody would really wear.  The fantasy of watching designer clothes on television is fun for the audience, but I was saying "crazy" to point out that Carrie Bradshaw would not be able to afford the clothes she was always wearing.  It was about the affordability.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I also loved when Miranda wore burgundy. She looked beautiful. I loved her wedding dress too. It was perfect. 

7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Gorgeous!  Her hair too!

d855d8e327946748c565e4772594293b.jpg

I like all three dresses. They all look really great. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Gorgeous!  Her hair too!

d855d8e327946748c565e4772594293b.jpg

 

29 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I also loved when Miranda wore burgundy. She looked beautiful. I loved her wedding dress too. It was perfect. 

I like all three dresses. They all look really great. 

Perfect example of how they all look like they belong together or at least attending the same party but with their own unique style.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

That was one of my favorite Charlotte dresses. Miranda's dress is simply stunning.  I like Carrie's dress but I don't think she would have worn it during the series.  In the movies she had a much more sophisticated style. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Last summer I was trying on dresses at Macy's & texted my sister & BFF pictures to see which I should buy. BFF declared them all "very Charlotte", so I bought all 3 lol 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I'm a Charlotte fan but found this interesting. 

I thought it was a pretty dumb list.

I always saw Charlotte's comments in the nail salon as class based, not race based.

Aidan was to Carrie the way Carrie was to Big.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2020 at 4:49 PM, Toothbrush said:

Last summer I was trying on dresses at Macy's & texted my sister & BFF pictures to see which I should buy. BFF declared them all "very Charlotte", so I bought all 3 lol 

LOL! Love it. I get reminded of Charlotte when I'm at Anthropologie.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

It's like that John Mulaney bit about how Ice-T on Law & Order SVU is constantly surprised by things a New York City sex crime investigator should know!

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

One of my top 5 Charlotte outfits is the pink dress she wears to Brady's 1st birthday party. So pretty! I love her timeless style.

I just finished season 5 and am halfway through season 6. Upon rewatching, they are so much better than I thought at the time. There are really no bad episodes. Not even the Aleksandr Petrovsky ones.

image.thumb.png.581abff74964511459ff2a64f9c9b71b.pngimage.png.7cf748d973aa29f96355a911e828ca74.png

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

It's like that John Mulaney bit about how Ice-T on Law & Order SVU is constantly surprised by things a New York City sex crime investigator should know!

 

Wait wait! The second tweet is the best one:

As far as I'm concerned this is now canon.

  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

One of my top 5 Charlotte outfits is the pink dress she wears to Brady's 1st birthday party. So pretty! I love her timeless style.

I just finished season 5 and am halfway through season 6. Upon rewatching, they are so much better than I thought at the time. There are really no bad episodes. Not even the Aleksandr Petrovsky ones.

Season 6 is incredible.  So good.  Season 5 is the lowest point for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Season 6 was ok. Definitely a big improvement over season 5, which was probably the worst season of the show.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

For some reason I was thinking about the scene where Berger told Carrie “nice hat” and how that eventually led to the infamous post it note break up.

That break up is a lot better than the ghosting on apps people do today.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

For some reason I was thinking about the scene where Berger told Carrie “nice hat” and how that eventually led to the infamous post it note break up.

That break up is a lot better than the ghosting on apps people do today.

Every time I unfollow someone on social media I think about Berger's words.  "I'm sorry.  I can't.  Don't hate me."

You have to remember that it happened to Carrie though, so of course it was the worst thing in the world.  😂

B8N0Yx8CQAE-YVJ.jpg

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, qtpye said:

For some reason I was thinking about the scene where Berger told Carrie “nice hat” and how that eventually led to the infamous post it note break up.

That break up is a lot better than the ghosting on apps people do today.

I found yet another Berger (Ron Livingston) Post it Note recreation, @qtpye, and he agrees with you!

https://www.today.com/popculture/here-s-what-sex-city-actor-ron-livingston-thinks-post-t138594

Quote

Carrie Bradshaw had numerous ill-fated love interests over the course of “Sex and the City,” but one breakup remains perhaps the most memorably devastating.

Her relationship with fellow writer Jack Berger (Ron Livingston) came to an end when he infamously dumped her with a Post-it note bearing three brief, yet unforgettable, sentences: “I’m sorry. I can’t. Don’t hate me.”

'A Million Little Things' star Ron Livingston re-lives 'Sex and the City' role

OCT. 2, 201803:34

Fifteen years after the episode aired, Livingston told TODAY he thinks fans are “over it” by now.

“There’s something about being in the age of texting, and Tinder where, like, a handwritten Post-it note is actually kind of old fashioned and quaint,” he pointed out. “You put some effort into that.”

However, Livingston’s favorite scene to film on the HBO series was the dinner with the fabulous foursome during which Berger gives Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) some tough-love advice about a recent date, telling her, “He’s just not that into you.”

“There weren't a lot of boyfriends that got to do the scenes with everybody,” he said. “Usually the boyfriends were in the boyfriend ghetto, and your stuff would only be with Sarah Jessica, or Cynthia, or whoever you were. But so that was kinda cool. I felt like I was, you know, an insider on the show when I got to sit in on that.”

He’s also a fan of the episode in which Carrie berates Berger for making the heroine of his novel wear an unfashionable scrunchie.

Everett Collection

“I think scrunchie stock plummeted after we did that,” he joked. “Some people, like, lost their shirts on that. I got death threats from, like, you know, scrunchie nation. It's all right. It's come back in somewhere.”

Sometimes Livingston is surprised when he’s recognized from his stint on “SATC.”

 

1920_1080_ronlivingston.jpg

 

Here's the story behind the first one I posted, where he looks pretty groggy 😂

https://toofab.com/2015/01/27/sex-and-the-city-ron-livingston-jack-berger-breakup-post-it-note-photos/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I found yet another Berger (Ron Livingston) Post it Note recreation, @qtpye, and he agrees with you!

https://www.today.com/popculture/here-s-what-sex-city-actor-ron-livingston-thinks-post-t138594

 

1920_1080_ronlivingston.jpg

 

Here's the story behind the first one I posted, where he looks pretty groggy 😂

https://toofab.com/2015/01/27/sex-and-the-city-ron-livingston-jack-berger-breakup-post-it-note-photos/

This kind of makes me love Ron Livingston and wish his character had been in a better place. I also think the Berger/Carrie relationship is a pretty realistic thing to happen to most women who have been in the dating game for a while (at least at that time).

Berger and Carrie looked great on paper. Both were writers and I liked how Berger was no nonsense. However, he was in a period of his life where he was just not ready for a relationship and was kind of a mess.

I also think it was the first time we really saw Carrie get dumped. I know she had moments like when the Jazz guy just lost interest in her and started playing another instrument, but that was just a fling and she really did not seem to care all that much.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Welllllllll, Big dumped Carrie pretty hardcore.  LOL.  Like when he went to France!

And didn't Aidan leave Carrie first when 1) she cheated and second 2) when she refused to marry him.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Welllllllll, Big dumped Carrie pretty hardcore.  LOL.  Like when he went to France!

And didn't Aidan leave Carrie first when 1) she cheated and second 2) when she refused to marry him.

I guess I don't count Big, since he and Carrie were endgame. I knew that he was going to come back to her, eventually

I always felt like Aidan was more in love with Carrie than she was with him, despite him ending the relationship.

Berger was the first guy that noped out and was like "don't want anything to do with you...ever". Again, this probably had more to do with his stage of life but I also felt like he just was not as taken with her as her boyfriends tend to be.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Wasn’t there also the guy with the mystery box? He was a one off but also dumped her.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Wasn’t there also the guy with the mystery box? He was a one off but also dumped her.

And Jon Bon Jovi "after I sleep with a woman I completely lose interest."  And the politician John Slattery that didn't like how she is a sex columnist.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Welllllllll, Big dumped Carrie pretty hardcore.  LOL.  Like when he went to France!

Except Big didn’t dump Carrie. Big said he had a deal in Paris he was working on and he’d be over there for several weeks. He wanted to talk to her about it when the deal was in place or some framework of it was complete. Carrie flipped out, started tossing burgers at the fridge, and proclaimed that Big didn’t want to be committed to her (or something to that effect, I forget the exact dialogue). She left him....Just like the first season breakup, when (after stalking Big and his mother at church) she broke up with Big because she couldn’t force him to introduce her to his own mother. And that he didn’t say the exact words “you’re the one”.  The show has created this mythology that Big callously toyed with Carrie emotionally and dumped her—when that’s not what played out on screen 

30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And Jon Bon Jovi "after I sleep with a woman I completely lose interest."  And the politician John Slattery that didn't like how she is a sex columnist.

Carrie was a complete MESS in that episode. I still cringe (and am also infuriated) at her condescending, snarky remarks to Miranda about therapy (“I get why YOU’RE in therapy, because you’re ya know....always in your head”) , when Carrie herself is the one that needed therapy more than any of the other girls. But then she picks up a guy she meets in the waiting room of her therapist! Lmao 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

Except Big didn’t dump Carrie. Big said he had a deal in Paris he was working on and he’d be over there for several weeks. He wanted to talk to her about it when the deal was in place or some framework of it was complete. Carrie flipped out

Carrie flipped out because (in her eyes) they were in a serious relationship and when you're in one, you tell the person you're with that you could be in Paris for quote seven months or maybe a year. Instead, he intentionally avoided the topic until the last minute, and sprung it on her, hoping it would go down easy.  Then it didn't.

So, she flipped out.  When she accuses him of being scared that they were getting closer, and jumping at the chance to go to Paris, and asks why can't you factor me in your life in any real way?  His answer was "Old habits die hard, I guess."  He knew exactly what he was doing.  He admits to pushing her away in that way.

I don't think things are so simplistic.  The issue is more complex than that.

Quote

Actually there's a possibility I'm not gonna be here this summer.
I may have to move to Paris for work. Just for a while.
For how long a while?
I don't know. Seven months, maybe a year. Nothing's definite.
Wait! Wait, wait, wait. How long have you known about this?
It's been in the works for a while. I'll know more details after this trip.
When did you plan on telling me?
When I knew more. Nothing's definite. Don't get carried away.
There's the car. I have to go, or I'll miss the plane.
We'll figure this all out when I get back.

Quote

This isn't about us! This is about work!
This isn't about work. This is about us getting closer...
...and you getting so freaked out...
...that you have to put an ocean between us.

I don't want to talk about this anymore.
Why is it so hard for you to factor me into your life in any real way?
I guess old habits die hard.
Maybe I can't do this anymore.
I understand.

Big didn't like her showing that much emotion towards him and demanding that much of him.  His "I understand" was incredibly quick and without emotion at all.  When you run away from a relationship to Paris, that pretty much says enough.  Big wasn't assertive enough to break up with Carrie or involve her in the planning of his going to Paris.  He was also a millionaire and I have this huge doubt - HUGE - that it was necessary for him to go.  He basically admits that he left because he couldn't take the seriousness of their relationship.  I cannot imagine Big calmly sitting Carrie down and saying "I'm breaking up with you".  He ran away so that Carrie would break up with him.  Because he can't face things like that.

Notice how he couldn't dump Natasha either.  He had to have the affair with Carrie so that Natasha would leave him.  

In fact, we can even go back to Wife #1 and how he screwed her over as well.

Quote

- So, never been married? - Once. Long time ago.
Really? What happened?
He had a wandering eye. Wandered right over to my best friend.

So there is no way Big would cleanly break up with someone, it just wouldn't happen.  However, I still posit that Big caused Carrie heartbreak, and he created conflict, which forced Carrie's hand to leave to protect herself. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie flipped out because (in her eyes) they were in a serious relationship and when you're in one, you tell the person you're with that you could be in Paris for quote seven months or maybe a year. Instead, he intentionally avoided the topic until the last minute, and sprung it on her, hoping it would go down easy.  Then it didn't.

So, she flipped out.  When she accuses him of being scared that they were getting closer, and jumping at the chance to go to Paris, and asks why can't you factor me in your life in any real way?  His answer was "Old habits die hard, I guess."  He knew exactly what he was doing.  He admits to pushing her away in that way.

It's far too simplistic to take the side that Big Rules, Carrie drools.  The issue is more complex than that.

Big didn't like her showing that much emotion towards him and demanding that much of him.  His "I understand" was incredibly quick and without emotion at all.  When you run away from a relationship to Paris, that pretty much says enough.  Big wasn't assertive enough to break up with Carrie or involve her in the planning of his going to Paris.  He was also a millionaire and I have this huge doubt - HUGE - that it was necessary for him to go.  He basically admits that he left because he couldn't take the seriousness of their relationship.  I cannot imagine Big calmly sitting Carrie down and saying "I'm breaking up with you".  He ran away so that Carrie would break up with him.  Because he can't face things like that.

Notice how he couldn't dump Natasha either.  He had to have the affair with Carrie so that Natasha would leave him.  

In fact, we can even go back to Wife #1 and how he screwed her over as well.

So there is no way Big would cleanly break up with someone, it just wouldn't happen.  However, I still posit that Big caused Carrie heartbreak, and he created conflict, which forced Carrie's hand to leave to protect herself. 

Interesting, it makes him a very passive character and a much bigger jerk. It seems doubtful that he could be with any woman long term but I guess Carrie is supposed to be his soul mate or that is what the show would like us to believe.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Per TVLine, Cynthia Nixon will be part of the cast for the upcoming Netflix series, Ratched, which is a prequel series about Nurse Mildred Ratched, the villainous nurse of the movie, "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".  It's a Ryan Murphy show with Sarah Paulson as the lead character.

The cast also includes Vincent D'Onofrio, Judy Davis, Corey Stoll, Finn Whitrock, and Sharon Stone. It begins on September 18th.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, scarynikki12 said:

Wait wait! The second tweet is the best one:

As far as I'm concerned this is now canon.

Does this person on Twitter understand that the show is 20+ years old..and that those things weren't talked about as much.

Obviously not since that would require someone to think more deeply and think back to how much things have changed.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, at least by that person’s standards, Samantha at least made it to third base...

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, the show is 20+ years old and things have changed since then however, I never found it the grounbreaking, pioneering show that it was touted to be and I watched it as soon as it came out here (maybe a year or two after it started screening in the US). On the one hand, a show which showed women talking about sex, having sex and, generally, not judging them for having and enjoying sex was something that we hadn't seen on tv or in films so, in that sense, it was grounbreaking. On the other hand however, except for Samantha, I thought that they were all very conservative and, yes, Carrie, for a sex columnist, was a prude.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, scarynikki12 said:

Wait wait! The second tweet is the best one:

As far as I'm concerned this is now canon.

While sex was a big part of the show, I don't think they wanted to make it straight porn either. My guess is they wanted topics/scenes that were risqué outside of HBO but not too shocking to a lot of the audience. Many women loved SATC for the romantic relationships (nothing to do with sex), the friendships among the women, the fashion, and NYC element. I'm sure there wouldn't have been so many fans if the way sex was handled were more risqué. A friend of mine who's a lot more conservative than I am (a religious girl who didn't believe in premarital sex and joked she'd be the type to just lie there) wanted to see one of the SATC movies. She had watched edited versions of the show on TV and enjoyed it. She ended up shocked by the male nudity in the movie. People like her aside, most people I know haven't had threesomes. A lot of people do not get foot fetishes. There are certain things even very sensual, sexual people have no interest in trying. 

On 7/31/2020 at 4:05 PM, christie said:

Yes, the show is 20+ years old and things have changed since then however, I never found it the grounbreaking, pioneering show that it was touted to be and I watched it as soon as it came out here (maybe a year or two after it started screening in the US). On the one hand, a show which showed women talking about sex, having sex and, generally, not judging them for having and enjoying sex was something that we hadn't seen on tv or in films so, in that sense, it was grounbreaking. On the other hand however, except for Samantha, I thought that they were all very conservative and, yes, Carrie, for a sex columnist, was a prude.

See, I guess it's a matter of opinion, because to me they weren't very conservative tbh. It was a huge deal for Miranda to go without sex, period. Most people have phases where they aren't intimate with anyone for whatever reason. There are lots of people who find Charlotte a judgmental hypocrite because of things she did on the show too. No judgement to those who would, but I'd never sleep with someone I literally just met, nor would I have some guy paint a portrait of my lady bits. When I think of very conservative types, I think of those who save themselves for marriage, those who only sleep with people they love/have long-term relationships with, people who think oral is gross, have no interest in ever watching porn, would freak out if their partner watched any, or judge people who are gay/bisexual for having sex (which to be clear I deem homophobic). I remember things like Charlotte not enjoying giving oral (though she tried to and thoroughly enjoyed receiving it lol), but overall none of them were conservative imo. I don't think a very conservative person would even think of writing about sex, probably wouldn't cheat and have an affair with a married man (at least not stereotypically), talk about having the best orgasm with a group of friends, etc. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/27/2020 at 12:18 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie flipped out because (in her eyes) they were in a serious relationship and when you're in one, you tell the person you're with that you could be in Paris for quote seven months or maybe a year. Instead, he intentionally avoided the topic until the last minute, and sprung it on her, hoping it would go down easy.  Then it didn't.

So, she flipped out.  When she accuses him of being scared that they were getting closer, and jumping at the chance to go to Paris, and asks why can't you factor me in your life in any real way?  His answer was "Old habits die hard, I guess."  He knew exactly what he was doing.  He admits to pushing her away in that way.

I don't think things are so simplistic.  The issue is more complex than that.

Big didn't like her showing that much emotion towards him and demanding that much of him.  His "I understand" was incredibly quick and without emotion at all.  When you run away from a relationship to Paris, that pretty much says enough.  Big wasn't assertive enough to break up with Carrie or involve her in the planning of his going to Paris.  He was also a millionaire and I have this huge doubt - HUGE - that it was necessary for him to go.  He basically admits that he left because he couldn't take the seriousness of their relationship.  I cannot imagine Big calmly sitting Carrie down and saying "I'm breaking up with you".  He ran away so that Carrie would break up with him.  Because he can't face things like that.

Notice how he couldn't dump Natasha either.  He had to have the affair with Carrie so that Natasha would leave him.  

In fact, we can even go back to Wife #1 and how he screwed her over as well.

So there is no way Big would cleanly break up with someone, it just wouldn't happen.  However, I still posit that Big caused Carrie heartbreak, and he created conflict, which forced Carrie's hand to leave to protect herself. 

We’ll agree to disagree on a few points. Firstly, Big going to Paris for work was not him “running away from a relationship”, in my opinion. If he wanted to run away, he could’ve done that in NYC. Secondly, his “I understand” was not something I viewed as “without emotion at all”; Big isn’t going to express himself the same way as Carrie does, verbally or emotionally—that doesn’t mean he lacks emotion. That was one of Carrie’s main issues for me, she expected Big to act and react exactly as she would—when they are different people who express themselves differently. Also Carrie “flips out” every time she doesn’t get her way or someone does something without her neurotic input (punching Big in the face when he accidentally knocked her out of bed; the endless screeching and childish behavior at Aidan’s country home; throwing burgers all over the room at Big, etc). Being upset is one thing, spazzing out like a bratty adolescent is a whole other issue 

Thirdly, when did Big admit that he was running off to Paris because he was scared of the seriousness of their relationship?? I would’ve backed away from Carrie because she’s a loon—her STALKING Big and his mother at church in Season 1 is proof of that, as was her drunkenly coming to his house and proclaiming that he “didn’t want to introduce her to his friends” and that she was reacting to “his perception of her” (when in reality it was her own perception of what she thought about herself). I seriously have to go back and look at that Paris scene again, because I do not recall him saying “seven months to a year“ that he’d be gone. But again, he wasn’t leaving Carrie for another person or because he was “scared”, at least not in my opinion. But we all perceive the show in different lights, which is part of what makes it so fun to watch and re-watch

Big/Natasha is a whole different kettle of fish—Carrie willfully partook in the affair, Natasha knew about the affair (she admitted she did when she caught Carrie in the home), and Big was the one that wanted to tell Natasha about the affair and end things with her...Carrie was the one that begged him not to on multiple occasions. As for the first wife, there was never any proof that he “screwed her over”—they were still friends (he told her about his relationship with Carrie), and they had threesomes together because they were both looking for something else. That breakup seemed mutual, from the dialogue of the show 

 

 

Edited by BlueMoon81
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

I would’ve backed away from Carrie because she’s a loon—her STALKING Big and his mother at church in Season 1 is proof of that

LOL that episode is on E! right now. I would have been so creeped out if a man stalked me like that. 

ETA: Now it's the episode where this guy Samantha is hooking up with calls her an older woman, and is like what are you, 40, 41? Then Carrie's date goes off on someone at the movies for no reason. Stuff like that is exactly why I take it slow. I don't like stupid, rude men touching me. 

Not sure how many of you are into the show for the fashion, but I made a thread for TV fashion and posted some Charlotte and Carrie outfits. I will be posting Samantha soon.

 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/3/2020 at 1:58 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think this really describes why I personally love the SATC movies too.

The first one I think is genuinely good.  The second one I think is terrible.  HOWEVER, I love to watch both probably once a year because they're so indulgent and luxurious and so fun.

Old post, but I agree. I never miss the movies, even the second one. God I want the third movie so badly! Watching a marathon as we speak. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Old post, but I agree. I never miss the movies, even the second one. God I want the third movie so badly! Watching a marathon as we speak. 

I’ve been watching it off and on. I just saw the episode Miranda finds out she’s having a boy. I know friends should be excited for one another, and I get that Miranda’s non-reaction isn’t most people. I’m also a Charlotte fan, but the way she’d squeal about marriage and babies never ceases to annoy me. Maybe because it’s so cliche of women? I got reminded of when she announced Carrie’s engagement at a restaurant to a bunch of strangers and how long it took Carrie to finally get engaged. So cringe. 

Samantha had the most pleasant disposition. She was a sweet, supportive friend and tended to be more calm and mature. She didn’t have Miranda’s harsh words or angry rants. She didn’t have Carrie’s dramatics and squeals or Charlotte’s mushiness and squeals. I’m not saying she was perfect and didn’t have bad moments of her own, but her day to day personality was most likable in a lot of ways. I know a lot of men prefer Samantha to the other characters. I always thought it was because Kim is beautiful and Sam was the sexy one. Now I wonder if her personality had to do with it, at least to guys who’ve seen enough episodes. Samantha was feminine and loved men, and she wasn’t super emotional. The other fave of guys I know is Charlotte. Kristin is beautiful too, and maybe some guys are drawn to Charlotte’s softness and romanticism. Sometimes I wish there were a character that was both traditional and dignified, but I guess such a character would be more difficult to write and make interesting season after season. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I’ve been watching it off and on. I just saw the episode Miranda finds out she’s having a boy. I know friends should be excited for one another, and I get that Miranda’s non-reaction isn’t most people. I’m also a Charlotte fan, but the way she’d squeal about marriage and babies never ceases to annoy me. Maybe because it’s so cliche of women? I got reminded of when she announced Carrie’s engagement at a restaurant to a bunch of strangers and how long it took Carrie to finally get engaged. So cringe. 

I agree. I like Charlotte but that was annoying. She knows how Miranda feels about kids and the way she tells her friends its clear she's not happy about it. You take your cues from your friend if their happy to be pregnant then be excited if their not then don't. Listen to her friend and talk to her. That was crappy at her. I didn't like her announcing Carrie's engagement either. If Carrie wanted to announce it to the restaurant then she would have. She didn't so Charlotte shouldn't have. It wasn't her news. I really didn't like her also telling the entire restaurant how long it took her to get engaged. That was crappy of her too.

Quote

Samantha had the most pleasant disposition. She was a sweet, supportive friend and tended to be more calm and mature. She didn’t have Miranda’s harsh words or angry rants. She didn’t have Carrie’s dramatics and squeals or Charlotte’s mushiness and squeals. I’m not saying she was perfect and didn’t have bad moments of her own, but her day to day personality was most likable in a lot of ways. I know a lot of men prefer Samantha to the other characters. I always thought it was because Kim is beautiful and Sam was the sexy one. Now I wonder if her personality had to do with it, at least to guys who’ve seen enough episodes. Samantha was feminine and loved men, and she wasn’t super emotional. The other fave of guys I know is Charlotte. Kristin is beautiful too, and maybe some guys are drawn to Charlotte’s softness and romanticism. Sometimes I wish there were a character that was both traditional and dignified, but I guess such a character would be more difficult to write and make interesting years and years. 

She really did. She was a good friend, very calm and mature. She was so open minded about sex but also other people. Like inviting the hookers to her party and getting the nun into the doctor too. I liked her finding Smith and deciding she was going to help him get famous. And she did. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I didn’t get into the show until after the first movie. I used to loathe Miranda, but now she’s my favorite. I love Steve and Harry too. I’m still watching the marathon, and am struck by how clunky and bigoted some of the writing is. It took a really great crew to overcome it. 
 

I really, really dislike SJP’s shrieks and little girl squeals. Far worse than Charlotte, IMO. The storylines got better in the later seasons, but Carrie went from charming to irritating.  The others grew, and she regressed. I just love the Miranda/Steve and Charlotte/Harry arcs. 

  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

When Miranda has the baby and she tells Steve the baby’s name should be Brady, he tears up. Carrie shakes her head at him in a “man up” kind of way. I’m sorry, if you can’t cry when your son is born and is named after you...?!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

I used to loathe Miranda, but now she’s my favorite.

If these characters were real people, of the 4 Miranda is the one I'd be most likely to be friends with, I tend to like people with a sarcastic sense of humor.  A very close 2nd would be Samantha.  I've said before that I found her sexuality to be "cartoonish," but she was a very good loyal friend who would never judge you for anything.  Even when Charlotte called her some nasty names, Samantha forgave her awfully fast.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I’ve been watching it off and on. I just saw the episode Miranda finds out she’s having a boy. I know friends should be excited for one another, and I get that Miranda’s non-reaction isn’t most people. I’m also a Charlotte fan, but the way she’d squeal about marriage and babies never ceases to annoy me. Maybe because it’s so cliche of women? I got reminded of when she announced Carrie’s engagement at a restaurant to a bunch of strangers and how long it took Carrie to finally get engaged. So cringe. 

Samantha had the most pleasant disposition. She was a sweet, supportive friend and tended to be more calm and mature. She didn’t have Miranda’s harsh words or angry rants. She didn’t have Carrie’s dramatics and squeals or Charlotte’s mushiness and squeals. I’m not saying she was perfect and didn’t have bad moments of her own, but her day to day personality was most likable in a lot of ways. I know a lot of men prefer Samantha to the other characters. I always thought it was because Kim is beautiful and Sam was the sexy one. Now I wonder if her personality had to do with it, at least to guys who’ve seen enough episodes. Samantha was feminine and loved men, and she wasn’t super emotional. The other fave of guys I know is Charlotte. Kristin is beautiful too, and maybe some guys are drawn to Charlotte’s softness and romanticism. Sometimes I wish there were a character that was both traditional and dignified, but I guess such a character would be more difficult to write and make interesting season after season. 

All the men I knew thought Charlotte was the hottest one... by far.

I liked Sam and the actress that played her (thought she was very pretty) but I think her cartoonishly  sex appeal would not work in the real world.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/23/2020 at 12:05 PM, ByTor said:

If these characters were real people, of the 4 Miranda is the one I'd be most likely to be friends with, I tend to like people with a sarcastic sense of humor.  A very close 2nd would be Samantha.  I've said before that I found her sexuality to be "cartoonish," but she was a very good loyal friend who would never judge you for anything.  Even when Charlotte called her some nasty names, Samantha forgave her awfully fast.

I'm a combination of Miranda and Samantha. Although I share the shoe thing with Carrie.  I don't have a lot of female friends which makes me so jealous of the women on SATC but one of my best friends is definitely a Miranda.  There is no way I could be friends with a Carrie. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/23/2020 at 9:58 AM, chitowngirl said:

When Miranda has the baby and she tells Steve the baby’s name should be Brady, he tears up. Carrie shakes her head at him in a “man up” kind of way. I’m sorry, if you can’t cry when your son is born and is named after you...?!

Agree with you on this. This drives me crazy about some women, the fact they can cry over everything but men aren’t allowed to cry unless there’s a death is such nonsense.

I also agree with the comments about Sam’s sexuality. They definitely made her cartoonish. I guess they had to give her flaws the same as they did the other characters. I think most viewers of the show have no problem with a single woman having pleasure. It’s just how far they took the character at times.

ETA: This show also makes me wish I had more close female friends. Meeting up with a group of girls every weekend sounds so fun to me. A lot of my friends and I have drifted apart over the years. Another friend of mine recently got married, and while I’m happy for her, I feel like I’ve lost another friend in a way. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I think the case of Steve not being allowed to cry was more what Miranda wanted at that time, and Carrie was enforcing what Miranda wanted. If it had been Charlotte who was having the baby, it would have been a different story I think.

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I always thought Samantha becoming more of a cartoon as the show went on might have been SJP and the producers punishing Samantha and KC for Samantha rivaling Carrie in terms of popularity, but thats just my own silly fan theory more than anything.

Granted, like on many other shows, as they go on, some characters tend to have certain characteristics exaggerated. I mean, the Charlotte we see in season 1, the one who had the occasional random booty call or who let a famous artist paint her crotch? Definitely not things we would have seen the Charlotte of later seasons do.

  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I also agree with the comments about Sam’s sexuality. They definitely made her cartoonish. I guess they had to give her flaws the same as they did the other characters. I think most viewers of the show have no problem with a single woman having pleasure. It’s just how far they took the character at times.

It was Kim Cattrall's performance that kept it believable for me. Whatever material was handed to her she made it work.  Until the second movie. But by that point who could blame her.

16 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I always thought Samantha becoming more of a cartoon as the show went on might have been SJP and the producers punishing Samantha and KC for Samantha rivaling Carrie in terms of popularity, but thats just my own silly fan theory more than anything.

Not just your theory.  While the show might have been centered around Carrie the other three women had IMO much better stories and character development.  This wouldn't be the first show who had someone who didn't like a supporting character getting more attention.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I always thought Samantha becoming more of a cartoon as the show went on might have been SJP and the producers punishing Samantha and KC for Samantha rivaling Carrie in terms of popularity, but thats just my own silly fan theory more than anything.

Granted, like on many other shows, as they go on, some characters tend to have certain characteristics exaggerated. I mean, the Charlotte we see in season 1, the one who had the occasional random booty call or who let a famous artist paint her crotch? Definitely not things we would have seen the Charlotte of later seasons do.

Yeah, it always felt like they were up to humiliate Samantha in a way that they never do to Carrie. I think watchers of the show had no problem with a woman who enjoyed her sexuality (The show was not Prudes in the City). However, sometimes it felt like the show wanted to kind of punish Samantha for being more provocative and sexy then Carrie.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Yeah, it always felt like they were up to humiliate Samantha in a way that they never do to Carrie. I think watchers of the show had no problem with a woman who enjoyed her sexuality (The show was not Prudes in the City). However, sometimes it felt like the show wanted to kind of punish Samantha for being more provocative and sexy then Carrie.

When the Friends pilot was viewed by NBC execs some bigwig (I think the network president) he insisted Monica be punished for sleeping with a guy on the first date. He thought viewers would think she was whore.

Pretty sure HBO wouldn't have insisted on Samantha being punished for having sex on a show with the word sex in the title. So if she was being punished I would say it was coming from someone else.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

When the Friends pilot was viewed by NBC execs some bigwig (I think the network president) he insisted Monica be punished for sleeping with a guy on the first date. He thought viewers would think she was whore.

Pretty sure HBO wouldn't have insisted on Samantha being punished for having sex on a show with the word sex in the title. So if she was being punished I would say it was coming from someone else.

Remember how in one of the first episodes Big rejected Samantha and then proceeded to hit on Carrie? I think it might of been how they first met. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, qtpye said:

Remember how in one of the first episodes Big rejected Samantha and then proceeded to hit on Carrie? I think it might of been how they first met. 

Yes Samantha noticed him first and knew he who he was.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Technically, Carrie and Big met on the street after a daytime booty call she had (she was doing an article about sex with no emotional attachment). Either he bumped into her and caused her to drop and spill the contents of her purse, or someone else bumped into her and he stopped to help her pick up her stuff. They then meet again but more formally later at Chaos after Sam tries to get with Big.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size