Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

Sex And The City

16 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The closest we got to know about Miranda's family was when her mother died and we learned that her sister was a bitch to her!

We got to know that Charlotte has a super hot brother named (Wesley?) early on and that Sam slept with him.

Why didn't we get to see more of that side of Charlotte?  You notice how we know so much about Trey's family and upbringing, but not about Charlotte's?  It's silly, and I agree, really strange choice on the writers' behalf.

And when it comes to Smith, we know that his parents named him Jerry Jerrod (I think) and that he was an alcoholic, and he was "fucked up for 8 years in Seattle".  That's more than we know about Samantha's upbringing.

We even know Big's ex-wife.  Before we even knew what Big's first name was!  

11 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

One Samantha moment I don't like is at the beginning of Four Women and a Funeral. Charlotte shows up at Carrie's door and she asks "was everyone invited to this?!" She has this annoyed look on her face and I just thought it was rude. Like why did she seem annoyed that Charlotte was going? 

That was really on, Season 2 episode 5.  I assume they were trying to make Charlotte and Sam non-friends and rivals as per Candace Bushnell's book.  Obviously that had to change at some point.  But I understand your point.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I also didn't like her reaction to the doctor telling her that women who don't have children have a higher chance of getting breast cancer. I just thought it was a big over reaction. "He's basically saying I'm a whore who deserves it." He didn't imply that or insinuate anything about her sex life or something because of it. She just got too mad about it. 

I understand that too.  Obviously hearing you have cancer is a very emotional, horrible thing.  Your emotions will be running rampant, and you might not make much sense.  It's really hard as a woman to hear that if you don't have children, you're more at risk for cancer.  Whether women are childless by choice, or not by choice, it's incredibly hard.  For women who want children all their lives and don't have them, it's like being hit twice.  No children AND you're more at risk for cancer?  I don't blame anyone who can't take that news well.  I can't blame anyone for their reaction upon hearing that they have cancer.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 6

And the thing is, there are all kinds of things that increase your risk of cancer or lower your risk of cancer. How much drinking do you do? Where have you lived? What kind of job do you do? What is your family history and your genetics, which is something that is completely out of your control? "Increased risk" sounds very ominous, but really, with not having children, we're not talking something like 50% increased chance. There are tons and tons of mothers who have gotten cancer. I know more mothers who have gotten cancer than childless women who have. Yes, if you smoke like a chimney and you get lung cancer, you can be pretty sure that was a huge contributing factor. But cancer is not always that straightforward. My stepfather died of liver cancer. We don't know why. He didn't have any of the increased risk factors and it didn't run in his family. One can manage to do everything "perfectly" and still get cancer. So for the doctor to dump that on Sam like it was the thing that made the difference was really just straight bullshit.

• Like 6

I assume they were trying to make Charlotte and Sam non-friends and rivals as per Candace Bushnell's book.  Obviously that had to change at some point. 

By season 2, I doubt it. They were already established as a quartet of friends long before that. Though Charlotte and Sam did have the prickliest of friendships out of the foursome, so that could be a holdover, but then again, their TV characteristics would be the ones expected to clash the most.

With regards to Sam's comment, it might just be surprised that Charlotte was part of that particular fashion crowd, given her own personal fashion style.

In any case, that piqued my interest so I googled some of the differences between the book and the show, and wow, very different indeed...I might actually try and read the book just to see how different it really is. Got this from a wiki page, will put in spoilers just in case:

Spoiler

Though the novel, like the series, is told from the point of view of columnist Carrie Bradshaw, her adventures include more and varied friends than the three primaries featured in the series. Some situations and personalities were adapted for the show, but the characters who bear the names Charlotte York, Miranda Hobbs, and Samantha Jones are minor and contrast their television counterparts.

Charlotte is a sex-crazed Englishwoman in the book; in the series she is a naïve, sometimes prudish American WASP. Miranda is a coke-loving cable executive in the book, but a lawyer in the series. Samantha is a movie producer in the book, but a public relations manager in the television series.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 2

The book is wonderful, I definitely recommend it.  Of course, don't expect it to be like the show.  However, there are a lot of similarities between the book and Season 1.  

Candace Bushnell wrote it in this very detached, jaded, minimalistic way, and the spirit goes along with what we thought of the 90s - kind of nihilistic, cynical, cool.  It's one of my favourites.  It makes me laugh now that I read it at such a young age.  I was enthralled with both the series and the book.

Just so everyone is aware, Carrie is obviously based on Candace herself and Mr. Big was based on one of Candace's loves, Ron Galotti.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/culture/a21095035/ron-galotti-meet-the-man-who-inspired-mr-big/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 5

Ron Galotti? Talk about a major casting upgrade.

Yeah, I know that sounds superficial.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

So for the doctor to dump that on Sam like it was the thing that made the difference was really just straight bullshit.

I think that Samantha thought she was being judged, not just by him, but by society in general.   One of the nicest moments of the show was when Miranda made Samantha tell her what was wrong (at the dinner after her wedding.)  It was a very sweet moment between all 4 ladies.  "You're my family, now start talking."  - Miranda.   

• Like 7

On 5/20/2020 at 7:34 PM, ChitChat said:

Those didn't look like any boy shorts I've seen!!  They looked like a female version of a tighty-whitie!!  Not feminine at all, unlike a pair I had. 

They were tightie-whities.  I'm not sure if they were supposed to be Aiden's that she was borrowing, but my guess is they put her in them to show how they were getting all "boring old couple comfortable" with the relationship...except they weren't. 

image.png.39ca1aed6f31b75f7ce64bf0534befda.pngimage.png.499be2d5aae9c13ad1b55ecfccd53641.png

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The book is wonderful, I definitely recommend it.  Of course, don't expect it to be like the show.  However, there are a lot of similarities between the book and Season 1.  

Candace Bushnell wrote it in this very detached, jaded, minimalistic way, and the spirit goes along with what we thought of the 90s - kind of nihilistic, cynical, cool.  It's one of my favourites.  It makes me laugh now that I read it at such a young age.  I was enthralled with both the series and the book.

Just so everyone is aware, Carrie is obviously based on Candace herself and Mr. Big was based on one of Candace's loves, Ron Galotti.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/culture/a21095035/ron-galotti-meet-the-man-who-inspired-mr-big/

*raises hand* I highly recommend it too! I really like Candace’s writing voice. Sometimes I wonder how much better or worse the show would’ve been if they stuck with Candace Bushnell’s voice instead of recreating SJP and MPK’s version of who they wanted her to be. 

Despite being out of the age demographic for it, I liked The Carrie Diaries. But I hated when the show would get attacked for facts in the series changing when SATC not only had a lot of changing facts within the series but TCD was Candace Bushnell’s Carrie, not SJP and MPK’s version of her. 

I’ve been rewatching. I had forgotten how much I liked the episodes where Carrie is dating the one episode guys. 

I’ve never understood Miranda’s wardrobe. She’s a beautiful woman. She really glows in the Robert episodes. At the basketball game with Charlotte, I remember saying Why can’t they dress her like this all the time? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, izabella said:

They were tightie-whities.  I'm not sure if they were supposed to be Aiden's that she was borrowing, but my guess is they put her in them to show how they were getting all "boring old couple comfortable" with the relationship...except they weren't. 

Thanks for posting the picture.  I was pretty sure that I was remembering the underwear that way!!  I have to say though, in 35 years of marriage I've never once put on my husband's underwear!

• Laugh 6

You are obviously not the daring forward thinking fashionista that is Carrie Bradshaw then 😉

• Laugh 7

I know everyone's saying that Berger was a jerk, but I'm watching the episode where he drops Carrie off at jury duty.

Berger:  I'm gonna look at some computer shit.  Call me when you're done and we'll do something.
Carrie:  Well, aren't you gonna write today?
Berger:  What does that mean?
Carrie:  It doesn't mean ANYTHING, it was just a question.

Well, it's a pretty weird, passive aggressive question.  LOL.  Why did she even ask him that?  She was obviously not going to write that day.  Once again I want to point out that Berger was a rich dude who had both a place in Manhattan, and a place in the Hamptons.  He actually didn't need to be a continually successful writer.  And not everyone is handed a column at the New York Star, or wherever Carrie worked.

That relationship was very short and new, so I'm surprised Carrie would even go there.

But of course I do agree that Berger could be jerky.  He pretty much implodes throughout the rest of the day, and he is not polite to Charlotte.  He's obviously really insecure and takes random things personally.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3

The funniest episode of the Berger/Carrie saga was when they had sex, it was awful and then they both kept trying to make it good. So funny.

also loved Big referring to him as Hotdog..

• Laugh 5

It's  pretty interesting, I'm watching the episodes now.  Carrie tells Big about Berger and you can tell he doesn't want to hear about it and he gently ends the conversation.  Then just a few episodes later, Big is calling to check up on her and their relationship.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Then just a few episodes later, Big is calling to check up on her and their relationship.

He was probably hoping she'd say it was over so he could swoop in and have her back!

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But of course I do agree that Berger could be jerky.  He pretty much implodes throughout the rest of the day, and he is not polite to Charlotte.  He's obviously really insecure and takes random things personally.

I liked it when he explained to Miranda that her date was "just not that into you."  That's the Berger I liked!  I think he was jealous because Carrie seemed to get a book deal easily and he was struggling.  He didn't understand all of the hard work she put into her column over the years so as to be able to write a book, so it wasn't as if she got a book deal her first week out of college!   I'm sure there are still a lot of men out there who can't handle having a partner be more successful than them in any given moment, which is a shame.  She was better off without him.  He needed to figure out his own shit before getting into another relationship!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

He needed to figure out his own shit before getting into another relationship!

They were both on the rebound, but he was REALLY messed up over his ex, who cheated on him.  As opposed to Carrie, who cheated on HER ex 😉. So she was pretty much fine.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ChitChat said:

He was probably hoping she'd say it was over so he could swoop in and have her back!

Actually at that point I didn’t think so. I think they were enjoying the friends with Sometimes benefits Element of the relationship at that point. And they were long distance so I don’t think He was actively hoping to swoop in or win her back. At that stage I think they were genuinely friends. 

• Like 2

Carrie saying to Charlotte "Paper covers rock" and smacking down the Post-It over Charlotte's ring is so rude and obnoxious after Charlotte gets engaged.

In the next scene, Carrie also makes this comment to Samantha which I've posted about before (which I can't seem to find anymore.)

Carrie to Samantha:

Listen to me being all hurt. Look how many men have broken up with you and you’re fine.

Which is SO incredibly rude, unprovoked, and uncalled for.

And then forces Miranda to go out even though she doesn't want to, saying "I will play the Post-It card."

Now she's forcing Charlotte to crash someone else's bachelorette party.  I swear, this woman never stops.  She's so performative and needy.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie saying to Charlotte "Paper covers rock" and smacking down the Post-It over Charlotte's ring is so rude and obnoxious after Charlotte gets engaged.

In the next scene, Carrie also makes this comment to Samantha which I've posted about before (which I can't seem to find anymore.)

Carrie to Samantha:

Which is SO incredibly rude, unprovoked, and uncalled for.

And then forces Miranda to go out even though she doesn't want to, saying "I will play the Post-It card."

Now she's forcing Charlotte to crash someone else's bachelorette party.  I swear, this woman never stops.  She's so performative and needy.

Carrie was just all around awful in that episode.  Her and Berger were clearly not working and she was more upset about how he broke up with her rather than the fact he broke up with her.  Yes it was shitty thing for him to do but get over it. He didn't cheat on her. He wasn't abusive. He took the coward's way out which a lot of people do.  At least he told her. I've had men just ghost me. I simply just never  hear from them again.

The first part of Season 6 was all over the map with Carrie. The writers obviously knew they were going to introduce Alek so they were just treading water till they got there.

• Like 6

You know, for all the faults that episode had, and as cringe as Carrie was at times in that episode...I still enjoyed it overall.

It was nice to see them having a "girls night out" for a good chunk of the episode, and one that wasn't about them looking for guys but just having fun and hanging out together.

• Like 7

On 5/27/2020 at 7:39 AM, blondiec0332 said:

Carrie was just all around awful in that episode.  Her and Berger were clearly not working and she was more upset about how he broke up with her rather than the fact he broke up with her.  Yes it was shitty thing for him to do but get over it.

It's interesting that she took that break-up so hard and wanted everybody's sympathy, but after she broke up with Aidan and then found out from Steve that Aidan couldn't function for a month and that he lost his ability to trust women, well, she practically laughed in his face. This from a woman who had to be spoon-fed by Samantha at the resort after Big didn't show up for their wedding.  It always seemed to be okay for Carrie to break up with a guy, but when they hurt her, it was some monumental life-altering moment for her.  Having said that,  not showing up for one's own wedding is a pretty big deal, but she couldn't function for awhile either.  She didn't seem to give that same consideration to Aidan.

• Like 5

Carrie narrating in "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" about "Honesty":

"I cheated on a test in the fifth grade with 2 friends.  They confessed, got grounded, and failed the class.  I never told anyone, and it never mattered."

LOL, it probably mattered to THEM, Carrie.

4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It's interesting that she took that break-up so hard and wanted everybody's sympathy, but after she broke up with Aidan and then found out from Steve that Aidan couldn't function for a month and that he lost his ability to trust women, well, she practically laughed in his face. This from a woman who had to be spoon-fed by Samantha at the resort after Big didn't show up for their wedding.  It always seemed to be okay for Carrie to break up with a guy, but when they hurt her, it was some monumental life-altering moment for her.  Having said that,  not showing up for one's own wedding is a pretty big deal, but she couldn't function for awhile either.  She didn't seem to give that same consideration to Aidan.

That's why I say Carrie is so "performative".  So much about Carrie doesn't feel genuine, but rather, "performing" for everyone else.  When she called Natasha at work and was told she'd be waiting "forever" if she wanted to speak to her, Carrie says "Okay then I'll wait forever."  Which is just a performance so she can look like a martyr.  And how long did it take for her to hang up?  Five minutes?  LOL.

Laughing in Steve's face about Aidan not being able to function is Carrie just "performing".  It's her pretending to be so humble like, oh there's no way anyone could possibly take breaking up with me hard, but rather it just comes off as insensitive and shows Carrie's true colours, and that she really didn't give as much of a shit about breaking up with Aidan as he did.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4

She probably went home and masturbated for hours after she found out about how broken Aidan was, because nothing gets Carrie going like knowing how much she matters to people out there.

• Like 3

Kristin Davis was on The Talk recently and asked which SATC character she'd most like to quarantine with. She mentioned Charlotte first because she'd probably be most prepared, then said Samantha would be most fun but she might hate being at home, that Carrie is funny and witty company, and that Miranda would probably be focused on work.

• Like 4