Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Jillybean said:

I found both Trey and Berger extremely cringeworthy.

Berger could have had potential but they made him such an asshole. I think by that season they knew how they wanted to end the show and he was just time filler.

• Love 9
(edited)

Trey was created to basically humiliate Charlotte.  Give Charlotte the "perfect guy" and "love at first sight" and everything she dreamed of, only to take it from her because fantasies can never come true.  Sad!

I loved Berger's storyline.  I loved having Carrie being the more successful person in the relationship for once.  It was very interesting.  Can she nurture and deal with an insecure person?  She couldn't really do it when Aidan was insecure in the relationship and and she couldn't really help Berger when he was insecure in his career.  But I don't blame Carrie for Berger because she did try.  Berger didn't want her help and he probably wasn't ready for a relationship.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

They were not only cliche, but as Kyle basically told the writers: "Where do you think this is funny?"

I thought we were supposed to find that scene with the baby cutout cringe worthy?

With regards to the women's styles, I think Pat Fields just didn't know what to do with Miranda. Carrie was supposed to be the edgy fashionista (even though I laughed at half of her Fahsuhn Lewks), Samantha was the vamp and/or in brighter colors and prints, Charlotte with the Park Avenue Princess...with Miranda, it seems they didn't know how to dress her outside of her corporate uniform, and even then, some of her suits in the earlier seasons were just not good.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Miranda, it seems they didn't know how to dress her outside of her corporate uniform,

I agree with this.  It was like the only time we saw her out of the suits was at home in sweats. Even when they went out  (the episode after Berger dumped Carrie) and she had on her pre Brady jeans it was a very plain outfit.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

It was like the only time we saw her out of the suits was at home in sweats.

And her pantsuits were so baggy and unflattering.  Would it have killed them to find something that fit?  It's not like she has some kind of weird body that's difficult to clothe.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, ByTor said:

And her pantsuits were so baggy and unflattering.  Would it have killed them to find something that fit?  It's not like she has some kind of weird body that's difficult to clothe.

Plus, Cyntha in real life dressed pretty damn well. If they would have made it where MIranda just didn't know how to look out in public outside professional and then switch to "at home mode". Ok then, but I know my mom once said: "Does that woman know how to dress? Carrie at least has an excuse." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
Just now, readster said:

Plus, Cyntha in real life dressed pretty damn well. If they would have made it where MIranda just didn't know how to look out in public outside professional and then switch to "at home mode". Ok then, but I know my mom once said: "Does that woman know how to dress? Carrie at least has an excuse." 

It's almost like "she's a driven career woman, so naturally she doesn't know how to dress."  More than a tad insulting.  I'm glad her wardrobe improved.

• Love 7
Just now, ByTor said:

It's almost like "she's a driven career woman, so naturally she doesn't know how to dress."  More than a tad insulting.  I'm glad her wardrobe improved.

Yeah and I hate when TV shows box characters like that. Not only is it cliche but shows just how much of an understanding these writers really have. It's kind of like the tired cliches:

1. Girl is really pretty, but doesn't know how to look "sexy".

2. Guy can't cook or clean, but he can fix any automobile or appliance.

3. Person who is career driven will ignore their families.

4. Person who loves video games or comics is officially a "child" and can't hold down a real job or relationship.

5. Person who has an over bearing mother/father will come across as a 5 year old instead of the fact it's on the parent not the offspring. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I also wonder if they didn't like to make the most of her looks due to her character. What I find kind of annoying is that Cynthia is an attractive woman, and even off SATC, her styling rarely does her justice. She's a pretty lady with a figure that's slender and easy to dress. She dolls up beautifully. 

• Love 3

Nobody bothered to give Miranda nice clothes until the first SATC movie.  So basically it took Patricia Field 10 years to think okay maybe let's let Miranda look nice for once.  LOL.  They even gave her a hairstyle.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Nobody bothered to give Miranda nice clothes until the first SATC movie.  So basically it took Patricia Field 10 years to think okay maybe let's let Miranda look nice for once.  LOL.  They even gave her a hairstyle.

Took Modern Family until the last 5 episodes of the series to realize that maybe Ariel Winters wants to look her age instead like she is 13 in middle school. Better late than never I guess. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought I remembered liking some of her later season outfits.  One that stands out is the dress she wore to the Hamptons wedding.  I agree about her hair, even The John Mandy Salon didn't do much with it!

• Love 1
Just now, ByTor said:

I thought I remembered liking some of her later season outfits.  One that stands out is the dress she wore to the Hamptons wedding.  I agree about her hair, even The John Mandy Salon didn't do much with it!

Have you guys seen Cynthia with longer/brighter red hair? It's so much more flattering on her. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

Have you guys seen Cynthia with longer/brighter red hair? It's so much more flattering on her. 

Yes, I agree. 

She was on an old Law and Order episode, she played a pretty white girl who encountered a black man on public transportation and killed him because she thought he seemed threatening.  Even though her story of the events didn't make sense, nobody would convict her because she was considered too pretty.  Her hair was longer and blonde then!

• Love 2

I know nothing about fashion at all. I always thought Carrie dressed like a homeless woman for most of the series who grabbed whatever she could find from the dumpsters. She blew all her money to look that bad?

I loved Charlotte's and Samantha's clothes better. They both looked great. I agree for the most part Miranda looked terrible. There were a few colors that she looked great in. Burgundy looked great on her. I liked the pre-Brady jeans and top looked great on her. Some of her work suits looked great on her. But so much looked terrible on her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think she's a natural blonde.  Though, I understand the red hair thing because 3 blondes might be overkill.  And red hair is extremely beautiful!  They just barely did anything with it until going towards the end of the show.

download-2.jpg    download-3.jpg

Carrie's fashion, like her personality, was totally different based on the seasons.

Season 1:  Minimalism, not caring about brands, not expensive, just cute.

Season 2:  Minimalism plus some vintage (lots of furs and aviator sunglasses.)  This is when I think Carrie Bradshaw became the fashion icon and I just loved, loved, loved her fashion.  I was sooooo influenced by it.

Season 3:  All of a sudden Patricia Field tried to do "something" here to give Carrie a signature look.  The big, curls, the quote from Carrie "ghetto gold" (which is kind of offensive honestly), the big freaking flower she wore all the time.  Just weird.

Season 4:  Lots of designer.  Prada, Ralph Lauren.  Pat Field gets even more experimental.

Season 5:  That horrible, short, unflattering haircut (I'm sorry, SJP just couldn't pull it off.  Cynthia could pull off short hair.  Not SJP for me.  Not like this.)  I think SJP was pregnant so it was a lot of babydoll stuff and empire waists.  (Actually , I did like the short hair when the wears that grey Vivienne Westwood dress and works at Vogue.  That was cute.)

Season 6:  Brown hair, lots of dark roots, ombre, lots of designer clothes.  Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, etc. Carrie looks rich, rich, rich this season.  

Obviously the fashion had to evolve because Pat Field started out the show using vintage shops to dress Carrie, and then as the show exploded, designers probably were happy to be showcased on the show.  But Pat Field got really weird especially in seasons 3 and 4 and I don't think those weird fashions influenced anybody.  Nobody wears large corsages in public.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

She is a natural blond.

The red did look good on her, and I do think they went with that so as not to have 3 out of the 4 women being blond.

Here she is in The Pelican Brief...

MV5BMmMzMzIxNGEtMjU0Yy00YmU5LWFkNzMtOGQ3

MV5BNWM4MTdjNjMtMjUyYS00ZDRmLTgwYTItYTU2

• Love 1

I think both blond and red hair are beautiful. It's just that Cynthia often had this color that washed her out and a cut that didn't flatter her the way longer hair does. This may be her own personal preference though. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

While I think a lot of women saw something on SATC and copied it I thought a lot of the clothes Carrie wore was ridiculous. The Heidi look when they had lunch in Central Park?  Yikes.

The poncho at the Fabulous *question mark* hungover photo shoot was awful!

And many others.  Tiny hat, anyone? 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Do you all remember the episode where Carrie says it's time for women their age to start covering up? It was so ridiculous to me. I was very young when I first saw that episode, and I remember thinking even then why would a woman who's still attractive and in shape want to be all covered up. If I'm 50 years old and still have nice legs, you best believe I will still be wearing skirts above my knees. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Cynthia Nixon appeared on the last season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent (way back in 2011) with her natural blonde hair and it was long. I thought she looked great!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Do you all remember the episode where Carrie says it's time for women their age to start covering up? It was so ridiculous to me. I was very young when I first saw that episode, and I remember thinking even then why would a woman who's still attractive and in shape want to be all covered up. If I'm 50 years old and still have nice legs, you best believe I will still be wearing skirts above my knees. 

Didn't she say that to Samantha? Who never really wore anything too revealing. At least in public. This was the episode where Carrie had her pic taken for the book cover right? And Samantha had picked out some lingerie and Carrie turned her nose up at it and said something snarky and Sam said she owned it in a different color. I could understand her not wanting to wear it for a book cover but I saw nothing wrong with a woman wearing it in the bedroom.  This was the season Carrie really worked my  nerves.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

Didn't she say that to Samantha? Who never really wore anything too revealing. At least in public. This was the episode where Carrie had her pic taken for the book cover right? And Samantha had picked out some lingerie and Carrie turned her nose up at it and said something snarky and Sam said she owned it in a different color. I could understand her not wanting to wear it for a book cover but I saw nothing wrong with a woman wearing it in the bedroom.  This was the season Carrie really worked my  nerves.

Yeah I loved Samantha's look because she was super sexy but looked professional. It was more about her clothes being fitted and high heels, not so much lots of skin. I love sexy clothes but draw the line as far what I think is appropriate to wear in public. I don't think going out in pasties and a g-string is classy and cute on a 20-year-old either. Even women who are super conservative with their clothes and never wear miniskirts or show any cleavage often have an anything goes attitude toward bedroom attire. If someone just doesn't enjoy being sexy and feminine and isn't into lingerie, that's fine. Wear those granny panties if comfort and modesty are your priorities. But don't judge your friend for enjoying being a woman. If a woman is lucky enough to have Samantha's looks, it would be a shame not to revel in it as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

If someone just doesn't enjoy being sexy and feminine and isn't into lingerie, that's fine. Wear those granny panties if comfort and modesty are your priorities.

For someone who wrote a sex column Carrie seemed very tame in the bedroom.  Even Charlotte was more adventurous.    I know SJP wouldn't do nudity but wearing a bra while in bed wasn't realistic. Couldn't they have covered her up a different way? 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Just in the bedroom?

No kidding, I remember my parents at one point went: "Are they sure Sam shouldn't be writing these articles?" I also still scratch my head on how Carrie had more value in shoes and yet was about to miss her rent payments several times. I get people spend over their budget, but it was like how Carrie never could sell off her apartment in the second movie. In New York, it would have been grabbed almost immediately. Hell, you barely move out of a Chicago apartment and they are having people go right through it when you aren't moving for days with: "Is this a good time to show it off?"

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, readster said:

I remember my parents at one point went: "Are they sure Sam shouldn't be writing these articles?"

I think how Carrie was portrayed after Season 1 was directly related to  how much more input SJP had.  Honestly her sex column could have been a column about simply living in NYC and it wouldn't have changed the show at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Well it would have changed the entire show - the title, the theme, the source material, Candace Bushnell's intent with her book.  In fact SJP should have adjusted to the show as she did agree to the job - the show should not adjust to SJP.

I totally agree, that as an adult and as a sex columnist, Carrie's reactions to Samantha's choices for the book cover were ludicrous.  Just say you want to go in a different direction, not that women should cover up.  Good Lord.

19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

If a woman is lucky enough to have Samantha's looks, it would be a shame not to revel in it as far as I'm concerned. 

I agree with you there!!!!  (Except if that's not your thing).  And if it's not your thing, just do what you want!  No need to judge your friends for it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

Ultimately Carrie’s column was a relationship column not a sex column.  

Pretty much and the fact that sex is part of relationships no matter what. I do agree the show adapted more to SJP than the other way around.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well it would have changed the entire show - the title, the theme, the source material, Candace Bushnell's intent with her book. 

I meant it wouldn't have changed the show after the first season. The first season established the characters and what the tone of the show was supposed to be. But then the second season Carrie became less a sex columnist and more of observational columnist.  Most of the questions she asked had very little to do with sex.

And if it's not your thing, just do what you want!  No need to judge your friends for it.

Carrie had such a condescending tone that episode. That might have been the episode I liked her the very least.

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

Ultimately Carrie’s column was a relationship column not a sex column.  

True but lord knows she was not an expert on those either.

In fact SJP should have adjusted to the show as she did agree to the job - the show should not adjust to SJP.

1 hour ago, readster said:

I do agree the show adapted more to SJP than the other way around.

When I watched it originally I didn't know this.  You would read gossip here and there but it was mostly spoilers. There wasn't social media where everything was discussed and shared over and over again. But upon re watching it several times I can see how things changed.  

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

When I watched it originally I didn't know this.  You would read gossip here and there but it was mostly spoilers. There wasn't social media where everything was discussed and shared over and over again. But upon re watching it several times I can see how things changed.  

That's the thing with shows that have been off awhile and now how there are my syndication and streaming services. Plus, since it's been several years, people aren't as "afraid" to voice their opinions now. Especially, if there careers have moved on in a very positive way. I mean listening from not only the SAC cast now and seeing they weren't happy or questioned many of the jokes and story lines. The writers/producers were like: "You are not paid to question what you say or do, you do it or there is the door." Goes on constantly  now and many actors have learned to just shut their mouths and do it. Then of course you have ones who aren't afraid to share their honest opinions. 

I look at Charles McDermit over The Middle, he was constantly saying how he thought Axl was being poorly written or story lines were just plain stupid. Then after the show ended and the Sue spin-off never happened. All of a sudden Eden Sher, Patricia Headon and Aticus were sharing their "what were they thinking" during the show. Aticus even mentioned the lawnchair being taken away and brought back. Was because the writers wanted it back thinking it was a site gag and Aticus stated it was taken away because it was very hard for him to get up at times due to his condition. They decided it was time to get rid of it and then some of the writers were: "We want it back it was funny." Then of course Brick in the chair was very rare unless it was at dinner, because Aticus had problems getting up. Showed right there the writers and producers thought it was funny when it was also pyshically causing problems for the actor. That is not funny and very distasteful. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, readster said:

That's the thing with shows that have been off awhile and now how there are my syndication and streaming services. Plus, since it's been several years, people aren't as "afraid" to voice their opinions now. Especially, if there careers have moved on in a very positive way. I mean listening from not only the SAC cast now and seeing they weren't happy or questioned many of the jokes and story lines. The writers/producers were like: "You are not paid to question what you say or do, you do it or there is the door." Goes on constantly  now and many actors have learned to just shut their mouths and do it. Then of course you have ones who aren't afraid to share their honest opinions. 

Look what happened with Katherine Heigl and Grey's Anatomy. When that show has been off the air for a while I bet we will hear from other actors.

From what I have read online and the SATC book a couple years ago it doesn't seem like the show was one big happy family.  

• Love 3

But then the second season Carrie became less a sex columnist and more of observational columnist. 

Yeah, the column seemed to focus on sex, relationships, dating...basically, whatever interactions Carrie and the other women were having with the men in their lives during that week.

Which still doesn't change the fact that for a writer of a column like that, Carrie was very timid and somewhat of a prude. Not necessarily in what she did, but in how she reacted to things, like Sam's suggestion for the outfit for the book cover, bisexuality, golden showers, etc. I'm not saying Carrie had to be open to trying everything, but in her reactions to these things she came off as somewhat immature and judgemental, and certainly not the cool and sophisticated-about-these-issues sex & dating socio-anthropologist image she had early in season 1. Her attitude and reactions make it seem like she only started writing the column like a year or two before the show started.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I agree with you there!!!!  (Except if that's not your thing).  And if it's not your thing, just do what you want!  No need to judge your friends for it.

Totally agree. I have friends who are a lot more sexually free than me and who also dress more provocatively than me. I also have friends who believe in no sex without marriage, aren't very adventurous, and dress very conservatively. Some look all proper on the outside but are wild. Some may have a sexy fashion sense but don't get around. We're all different. As long as my friend is a good person with some sense of decency and also lets me be, it's all good. The world would be so boring if there were only Carrie's, only Samantha's, etc. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Her attitude and reactions make it seem like she only started writing the column like a year or two before the show started.

The show really didn't tell us a lot about her pre show life.  We know she had an abortion and didn't she work at the Gap or something?  But did she always want to be a writer?  How did she get the job at the Star?

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

The show really didn't tell us a lot about her pre show life.  We know she had an abortion and didn't she work at the Gap or something?  But did she always want to be a writer?  How did she get the job at the Star?

I always wished we heard more about the women's upbringings and families. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I always wished we heard more about the women's upbringings and families. 

I seriously would have liked that. Why did we get so much on the backgrounds of their significant others lives and upbringings. However, the main four? Why would we get that? Yes, people can go completely against the norm of their upbringing or who their families were. I could have so bought Samantha having a conserved upbringing and got to high school and was like: "Come on, if you got it, go for it." Or maybe Charlotte saw her parents as the "perfect couple" and wanted that fairy tale life too only to realize it wasn't true. Or Miranda could have seen a mother who worked, but didn't get really anywhere in life, because she was also focused on a home life so she wasn't going to feel like she had to give things up for others. 

Would have made the characters richer and so forth. Shows have this tendency to just say: "Well, this is how they are, so just accept it's who they are." While other shows want to hit you over the head why the characters ended up the way they did. Here the main four were: "Hey, that's just how they are and get over it." 

• Love 4

Or maybe Charlotte saw her parents as the "perfect couple" and wanted that fairy tale life too only to realize it wasn't true.

With Charlotte, we kind of saw a glimmer of that, except it was with her brother...though his fairy tale life ending didn't really discourage her ambitions to get married at all.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, RealHousewife said:

I always thought it was a lame attempt to explain away Carrie's sudden baggy wardrobe, which was only worn because SJP was pregnant at the time. 

That being said, I am 50, and I definitely dress differently than I did in my 30s. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

That being said, I am 50, and I definitely dress differently than I did in my 30s

I'm 51 and the only way I dress differently is I don't wear short shorts anymore. I never wore really short shorts but now I wear longer shorts. I still wear high heels. Still wear leggings. I do have more money now so my style is  more sophisticated.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, readster said:

Or Miranda could have seen a mother who worked, but didn't get really anywhere in life, because she was also focused on a home life so she wasn't going to feel like she had to give things up for others. 

The closest we got to know about Miranda's family was when her mother died and we learned that her sister was a bitch to her!

One of my favorite Miranda moments was when she broke down and told Steve that she loved him (Brady's birthday party - episode titled 'One').  She put her hand up to pull her hair back from her face and she sheepishly looked at Steve and replied to his "I love you too" with a "You do?"  It was a sweet moment.  I would've liked to have seen Miranda in court doing her thing.  We only saw her in the office working on cases.  It would've been fun to see her in action as a lawyer.

Why did Carrie wear those man-looking underwear sometimes?  Is that some fashionable thing that I missed?  I remember seeing those a few times and wondered what the hell I was looking at!!

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Why did Carrie wear those man-looking underwear sometimes?  Is that some fashionable thing that I missed?  I remember seeing those a few times and wondered what the hell I was looking at!!

They are called boy shorts. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

They are called boy shorts. 

Those didn't look like any boy shorts I've seen!!  They looked like a female version of a tighty-whitie!!  Not feminine at all, unlike a pair I had. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I've been watching the show for years on TV, but I just barely got around to watching it unedited the past couple of years. There's definitely a lot I've missed. Lol finally get to see some scenes that are listed on the info on TV, but are cut out. 

I feel like I like all of the girls and I've never had a favorite. They all have their good and bad/annoying moments. Although Charlotte might be my least favorite actually for some reason. I don't hate Carrie like a lot of people, but I do agree on many of the reasons why. 

One Samantha moment I don't like is at the beginning of Four Women and a Funeral. Charlotte shows up at Carrie's door and she asks "was everyone invited to this?!" She has this annoyed look on her face and I just thought it was rude. Like why did she seem annoyed that Charlotte was going? 

I also didn't like her reaction to the doctor telling her that women who don't have children have a higher chance of getting breast cancer. I just thought it was a big over reaction. "He's basically saying I'm a whore who deserves it." He didn't imply that or insinuate anything about her sex life or something because of it. She just got too mad about it. 

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
Typo
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, readster said:

I seriously would have liked that. Why did we get so much on the backgrounds of their significant others lives and upbringings. However, the main four? Why would we get that? Yes, people can go completely against the norm of their upbringing or who their families were. I could have so bought Samantha having a conserved upbringing and got to high school and was like: "Come on, if you got it, go for it." Or maybe Charlotte saw her parents as the "perfect couple" and wanted that fairy tale life too only to realize it wasn't true. Or Miranda could have seen a mother who worked, but didn't get really anywhere in life, because she was also focused on a home life so she wasn't going to feel like she had to give things up for others. 

Would have made the characters richer and so forth. Shows have this tendency to just say: "Well, this is how they are, so just accept it's who they are." While other shows want to hit you over the head why the characters ended up the way they did. Here the main four were: "Hey, that's just how they are and get over it." 

I know. It made no sense that we got more about their significant others' families and childhoods. We didn't need family members on every episode, but it would have been so nice to see some family dynamics. Like, was Charlotte's mother kind of a pretty little princess like Charlotte? Was Charlotte a daddy's girl and no man compared to her father? I don't think we even got to see any of Carrie's family at her wedding. It's probably my top critique of SATC. They're all these iconic characters on a show that went on for so long that so many of us love but very minimal information on their families and how they became the people they are.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 7

I think the closest we got to seeing the pasts of most of these women was the opening in the second movie.

didn't she work at the Gap or something?

As per that opening, at Bloomingdales, which is where she met Miranda for the first time.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

They're all these iconic characters on a show that went on for so long that so many of us love but very minimal information on their families and how they became the people they are.

I wonder if that was deliberate. So the writers weren't locked into things regarding the characters.  Fans remember everything.  Carrie said a couple different things about her father and if I remember correctly they weren't consistent. And then Candace Bushnell wrote the Carrie diaries and we find out her dad raised her. I know by that point SATC the show had become different than SATC the column/book. 

We would find out little tidbits over the years. Samantha grew up in a neighborhood that had houses that could have pools. She flirted with a classmate to go swim in his pool and his mom gave her cookies. And didn't Sam work at DQ during high school.  Charlotte rode horses in competitions. Miranda went to Harvard and had a rocky relationship with her mom. And Carrie.........?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3