Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Carrie did that a lot.  She would say things that were mean and then blow it off like she was joking.

The Samantha storyline didn't bother me because I can totally believe she would do that.  I thought the show handled Charlotte's miscarriage well.  I always get choked up when they are singing happy birthday to Brady and Miranda looks up and her and Charlotte look at each other.  The show didn't show the friendship between those two very often but one of my all time favorite scenes is when Charlotte tells Miranda she can't get pregnant and she is so upset about it Miranda follows her home to make sure she gets there safely.

This show made me want to  have ride or die girlfriends so badly.

Those are two of my favorite scenes. I loved when we got to see them being good friends to each other.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm watching Episode 401 and Miranda makes a bunch of women laugh at a party about how she's dating a bunch of losers lately and Carrie gets so offended and accuses Miranda of putting on a comedy routine.  LOL.  What's wrong, Carrie, the attention was off of you for 5 minutes?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

And now she's acting Big how old he is.  It's been 4 years and you don't know?  I thought he was some Trump-like figure.  Come on for sure his age would have been in the media.  Anyway, I would have ransacked his wallet to find out AGES ago 😁

• Love 2

Eh.  I can handwave that because it's one of my favorite scenes of the two of them together.  I always thought part of his attraction to her was their shared sense of humor.  And it was obvious here.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, voiceover said:

I always thought part of his attraction to her was their shared sense of humor.  And it was obvious here.

Agreed. I loved the light hearted scenes with them. Especially after they’d broken up, the affair had happened and ended and they were just friends. I was rooting for them of course but I loved those moments because Carrie wasn’t so insecure around him.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm watching "Defining Moments"; Carrie dates the jazz artist and Sam dates the female painter.

These stories are cool and different and I have no issue with them.  Also, Carrie is wearing Chloe by Stella McCartney and it's awesome.

But, Big is a possessive, jealous asshole even though Carrie and Big aren't even dating -- ???   since when is he like this?!!   And Trey is also an asshole, trying to fuck Charlotte all over the city but unwilling to discuss absolutely anything with her.  Even when she screams and begs stop, stop let's talk he doesn't listen.  

I can't even talk about Miranda's storyline.  It became so disgusting I had to fast forward.

fa5dc1e29a07bbb763eafd55ba7f34a5.jpg

photo_mid_def_872985.jpg   6013beb5aedb1849d5a1e31b62a3de1e.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't even talk about Miranda's storyline.  It became so disgusting I had to fast forward.

What was it?  I don't remember.

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Carrie dates the jazz artist

I haaaaated that guy!!!

• Love 4
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

She dates the guy who goes to the bathroom in front of her.  (played by now famous comedian Jim Gaffigan.)

eeewwww I remember now!  Now I know why you didn't want to to talk about it 🙂 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But, Big is a possessive, jealous asshole even though Carrie and Big aren't even dating -- ???   since when is he like this?!!

I felt like this was just for PLOT reasons so Sam would give that speech about him messing Carrie around and Maria would kiss her.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I felt like this was just for PLOT reasons so Sam would give that speech about him messing Carrie around and Maria would kiss her.

Oh totally.  Sam looked like a kickass friend and Big immediately listened to her and obeyed.  THAT was a cool scene.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Seems like Sam is the favorite character on this forum. Would you all enjoy another SATC movie without Samantha?

Sam's certainly not MY favorite character, I thought she was too cartoonish.  I'd be fine with a movie without her, but I really don't see one happening.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Seems like Sam is the favorite character on this forum. Would you all enjoy another SATC movie without Samantha?

I'd watch it.  Would I enjoy it?  That's another thing 😀

• LOL 4
On 4/2/2020 at 3:47 PM, ByTor said:

Sam's certainly not MY favorite character, I thought she was too cartoonish.  I'd be fine with a movie without her, but I really don't see one happening.

Yes, cartoonish. Kim is a wonderful actress. Samantha was fun and a great friend. While she wasn't my favorite either, I don't think the movie would be the same without her. I read somewhere one of the reasons Kim wasn't interested in another movie was because the storyline they had for her was really bad. I think Kim was over being the cartoon too. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Well now there is so much bad blood, there's no way Kim would do another movie.  SJP and her friends Kristin Davis and Willie Garson talked so much shit about Kim in the press for not doing it.

Think about other 90s casts and how they handled things.  Seinfeld did a reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm even after Michael Richards' infamous racist tirade.  Will and Grace are doing three SEASONS of it even though apparently Megan and Debra don't get along.  And Friends were all ready to do it, finally, but that was after YEARS of all 6 of them staying true to each other and saying it's not happening.  I can't picture if, one of these people in these casts didn't want to do a reunion or another season, the rest of the cast members would all gang up and say "It's all (Matthew Perry's) fault" or whoever.  I can't really picture that happening. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
On 4/1/2020 at 8:59 AM, blondiec0332 said:

Carrie did that a lot.  She would say things that were mean and then blow it off like she was joking.

And that’s one of the MANY reasons Carrie was my least favorite character BY FAR. She would say something snarky and mean....then pretend that she was joking. But if Berger makes fun of her hat, or God Forbid one of the girls says something snarky to her, she leaves in a huff

I HATED when Miranda asked Sam what she does when it’s time for a date to leave, and Carrie interjects with “no she just signs the delivery slip and sends him on his way” (referencing the GPS blowjob Carrie walked in on) and then Carrie gave that nauseating “trying to look cute” sip of her drink. BLECH

Sam should've snapped back with “well I could’ve traipsed around his apartment and gotten caught by his wife while going through their fridge” 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well now there is so much bad blood, there's no way Kim would do another movie.  SJP and her friends Kristin Davis and Willie Garson talked so much shit about Kim in the press for not doing it.

Think about other 90s casts and how they handled things.  Seinfeld did a reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm even after Michael Richards' infamous racist tirade.  Will and Grace are doing three SEASONS of it even though apparently Megan and Debra don't get along.  And Friends were all ready to do it, finally, but that was after YEARS of all 6 of them staying true to each other and saying it's not happening.  I can't picture if, one of these people in these casts didn't want to do a reunion or another season, the rest of the cast members would all gang up and say "It's all (Matthew Perry's) fault" or whoever.  I can't really picture that happening. 

And I don’t blame Kim one bit. I was thoroughly disgusted that 50-something year old adults engaged in a nasty smear campaign against KC in the press, simply because Kim didn’t want to do another film. SJP and her crew were acting like a clique of spoiled, bratty, junior high school bullies. KC was under NO obligation to do another film, she’s an adult and makes her own choices. This is after YEARS of dealing with clique-ish behavior on the set of the show, horrid cracks by SJP’s Carrie at Sam’s physical appearance and age, and an awful written second film where Sam was portrayed as a sex crazed lunatic who causes international incidents due to her libido. SJP has always come off as fake and pretentious to me, and her behavior towards KC (and recruiting her buddies from the show to do the same), have shown me that my instincts were correct 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, BlueMoon81 said:

And that’s one of the MANY reasons Carrie was my least favorite character BY FAR. She would say something snarky and mean....then pretend that she was joking. But if Berger makes fun of her hat, or God Forbid one of the girls says something snarky to her, she leaves in a huff

I HATED when Miranda asked Sam what she does when it’s time for a date to leave, and Carrie interjects with “no she just signs the delivery slip and sends him on his way” (referencing the GPS blowjob Carrie walked in on) and then Carrie gave that nauseating “trying to look cute” sip of her drink. BLECH

Sam should've snapped back with “well I could’ve traipsed around his apartment and gotten caught by his wife while going through their fridge” 

You're making alllllll the good points here.  I also just rewatched the one where Carrie 100% uses the jazz artist for sex even though she says he has ADHD and can't form a relationship.  When she does it it's "Adorable" in her mind I'm sure but when Sam does it it's probably fodder for Carrie to mock what a whore Sam is.

Contrast that to Sam saying "not my style" when Carrie dares her to judge Carrie for breaking up a marriage.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
(edited)

And I don’t blame Kim one bit. I was thoroughly disgusted that 50-something year old adults engaged in a nasty smear campaign against KC in the press, simply because Kim didn’t want to do another film. SJP and her crew were acting like a clique of spoiled, bratty, junior high school bullies. KC was under NO obligation to do another film, she’s an adult and makes her own choices. This is after YEARS of dealing with clique-ish behavior on the set of the show, horrid cracks by SJP’s Carrie at Sam’s physical appearance and age, and an awful written second film where Sam was portrayed as a sex crazed lunatic who causes international incidents due to her libido. SJP has always come off as fake and pretentious to me, and her behavior towards KC (and recruiting her buddies from the show to do the same), have shown me that my instincts were correct 

SJP is Regina George.  Kristin is Gretchen Weiners.  Willie is Karen Smith.  

Sex and the City 2 was pretty offensive.  That script was so bad.  I don't blame Kim either, especially if those people gave Kim a nasty set environment to deal with.  SJP pretending that the writers all of a sudden got it together for this magical hypothetical Sex and the City 3 is laughable.  Let me guess.  Carrie does something adorable, i.e. screams at Big for trying to do something romantic, Miranda and Charlotte have great storylines centred around their families and being the heads of their households and Samantha gets put on the sex offenders list for having sex near a playground.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

As much as I'd love a WELL-DONE movie with all four ladies, I completely agree Kim doesn't owe anyone anything. I'm aware Kim said Sarah wasn't kind to her and things they've said back and forth about each other. I haven't heard anything from Kristin or Cynthia about Kim or vice versa, other than they weren't close to Kim. Have they said things about one another? I remember years ago reading they weren't close due to the fact Kim was older, not a mother, and not living close to the other women. That may have been before Kim started talking about her honest feelings about how she was treated on set. 

9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

SJP is Regina George.  Kristin is Gretchen Weiners.  Willie is Karen Smith.  

Sex and the City 2 was pretty offensive.  That script was so bad.  I don't blame Kim either, especially if those people gave Kim a nasty set environment to deal with.  SJP pretending that the writers all of a sudden got it together for this magical hypothetical Sex and the City 3 is laughable.  Let me guess.  Carrie does something adorable, i.e. screams at Big for trying to do something romantic, Miranda and Charlotte have great storylines centred around their families and being the heads of their households and Samantha gets put on the sex offenders list for having sex near a playground.

I've always really liked Kristin. I just find her so adorable, and she comes across as really sweet. It's hard for me to picture her as part of a Mean Girls situation. 😞 Cynthia has also always come across as someone with a lot of heart and depth. 

Yes, I remember reading the material for Kim was even worse for the third movie. Kim doesn't mind provocative work that's done tastefully. But why would someone as talented and accomplished in her career want to be part of a trashy script? 

I've known people like SJP who come across as really friendly and sweet and get along with just about everyone, but then they have another side to them. Are there rumors of her mistreating other costars? 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Thank you. It's interesting Jason Lewis was also team SJP even though he worked with Kim. 

So Kristin posted a picture not including Kim and wished she could do another movie, but it doesn't sound like there was a really serious feud. 

• Love 2

I HATED when Miranda asked Sam what she does when it’s time for a date to leave, and Carrie interjects with “no she just signs the delivery slip and sends him on his way” (referencing the GPS blowjob Carrie walked in on) and then Carrie gave that nauseating “trying to look cute” sip of her drink.

I know Carrie was the glue that held the foursome together, but man, there were times I wanted one of the others to just slap the taste out of her mouth.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Honestly I think Kim did the franchise a favour by refusing to the another movie. The movies are awful and take away from how good the series was. I thought SATC had one of the best series finales on tv where every characters story was wrapped up wonderfully. The movies undid all that in my eyes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

From what I understand, the third movie would have killed Big off and had Carrie dealing with that. It actually sounds like an interesting storyline, but one of the issues was that it meant they couldn't kill Samantha off in order to do the movie without Cattrall. That would have been...overkill.

Of course they could have resolved the problem by actually giving Samantha a fresh storyline that would have engaged Cattrall's interest, just like the idea of playing Carrie adjusting to life without Big engaged SJP's interest. But they didn't, and instead said too much shit about Cattrall, and now there's too much bad blood. I would not have minded a third movie, as an opportunity for the franchise to go out on a better note than the terrible second movie (I did like the first movie, despite its flaws), but that ship has sailed.

• Love 10
(edited)

I don't really love the idea of Big dying, but clearly SJP loved it.  Probably because it would mean that all the focus would be on her.

Sex and the City was never meant to be depressing.  I don't know why it went in that direction and I wonder how Chris Noth felt about that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

SATC was mostly fun froth, but all the same, some of the things that stick out most in my memory as having been among the best of the show are Miranda's mother's death and Samantha's cancer. My guess is that it's that opportunity to play something deeper and more momentous that was more the appeal to SJP - she never really had anything like that on the series except for some of the moments in the cheating storyline (which were then kind of wiped out by Aiden getting back together with her and then her getting back together with Big). And I doubt Noth would have minded. He's had a broad career and there isn't anything more for him to play on SATC.

I think there would have been a way to do a storyline about Big's death without it being overly depressing - kill him off offscreen, before the movie begins, show a bit of the initial grief and then jump forward in time a little to when Carrie's beginning the process of emerging from her grief. No new (or old) love interest though, at least not in the traditional sense of one: Learning to find joy in her greatest love New York City again, and in her best friends, would be uplifting. And of course the storylines of the other three women wouldn't be so heavy.

Although I fully recognize the flaws of Carrie and Big's relationship, the chemistry between SJP and Noth was excellent enough for me to mostly look the other way. But to show Carrie post-Big would be a way of bringing her back to the outcome of the source material, in which she doesn't end up with him and is the stronger for it, without them having a breakup (for the 87th time). However, it probably wouldn't have been popular with the fanbase. But it's all moot anyway since there will never be a third movie.

• Love 4
(edited)

The reason my mind went to Noth's feelings on the subject is because I think of those shows like Seinfeld where if one of the cast members was left out of an episode they'd be very upset.  It would be an opportunity for him to make a lot of money, especially with all of the buildup for the third movie.  SATC2 still made a $200 million profit.  And Chris has two children.  Personally, I wouldn't be happy being left out.  The case with Kim is different as she wants to be left out.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

SATC was mostly fun froth, but all the same, some of the things that stick out most in my memory as having been among the best of the show are Miranda's mother's death and Samantha's cancer. My guess is that it's that opportunity to play something deeper and more momentous that was more the appeal to SJP - she never really had anything like that on the series except for some of the moments in the cheating storyline (which were then kind of wiped out by Aiden getting back together with her and then her getting back together with Big). And I doubt Noth would have minded. He's had a broad career and there isn't anything more for him to play on SATC.

I think there would have been a way to do a storyline about Big's death without it being overly depressing - kill him off offscreen, before the movie begins, show a bit of the initial grief and then jump forward in time a little to when Carrie's beginning the process of emerging from her grief. No new (or old) love interest though, at least not in the traditional sense of one: Learning to find joy in her greatest love New York City again, and in her best friends, would be uplifting. And of course the storylines of the other three women wouldn't be so heavy.

Although I fully recognize the flaws of Carrie and Big's relationship, the chemistry between SJP and Noth was excellent enough for me to mostly look the other way. But to show Carrie post-Big would be a way of bringing her back to the outcome of the source material, in which she doesn't end up with him and is the stronger for it, without them having a breakup (for the 87th time). However, it probably wouldn't have been popular with the fanbase. But it's all moot anyway since there will never be a third movie.

SJP was an Exec Producer on the show from Season 2 onward I believe....if she wanted more weighty dramatic storylines for Carrie, she could’ve insisted on them. I personally don’t think SJP has the acting range of the other three ladies, so I don’t think she’d be able to pull off a storyline dealing with grief over a lost love with the gravitas that Cynthia or Kim or Kristin could. I think Big’s death would be made all about her, with Big himself as the afterthought

I wouldn’t want a third movie based around death, as it’s just too depressing (there’s already enough reason to be depressed in the real world these days smh). Also, some of the ideas floated for the third movie around Sam were her either dying of cancer, or having a 17-18 year old having a crush on her(rumors were that it would be Brady *dry heave*). Either storyline would’ve been the absolute PITS. I wouldn’t have been opposed to a WELL-WRITTEN third film, but not a crap film just for the sake of making another film 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

SJP was an Exec Producer on the show from Season 2 onward I believe....if she wanted more weighty dramatic storylines for Carrie, she could’ve insisted on them. I personally don’t think SJP has the acting range of the other three ladies, so I don’t think she’d be able to pull off a storyline dealing with grief over a lost love with the gravitas that Cynthia or Kim or Kristin could. I think Big’s death would be made all about her, with Big himself as the afterthought

I could not agree with this more. SJP made a career out of playing a certain type.  Even in her HBO show Divorce she was more or less playing Carrie divorced in the suburbs.

7 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

I wouldn’t want a third movie based around death, as it’s just too depressing (there’s already enough reason to be depressed in the real world these days smh). Also, some of the ideas floated for the third movie around Sam were her either dying of cancer, or having a 17-18 year old having a crush on her(rumors were that it would be Brady *dry heave*). Either storyline would’ve been the absolute PITS. I wouldn’t have been opposed to a WELL-WRITTEN third film, but not a crap film just for the sake of making another film 

I heard this too and that was the reason Kim said no. And I cannot blame her at all. If they needed source material for a third movie they could have just read Candace Bushnell's latest book. It was about older women and what their lives were like after living sex in the city.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The reason my mind went to Noth's feelings on the subject is because I think of those shows like Seinfeld where if one of the cast members was left out of an episode they'd be very upset.  It would be an opportunity for him to make a lot of money, especially with all of the buildup for the third movie.  SATC2 still made a $200 million profit.  And Chris has two children.  Personally, I wouldn't be happy being left out.  The case with Kim is different as she wants to be left out.

Chris Noth hasn't tried to hide his disdain for Big's storyline in both movies, though. He also claimed that the script for the 3rd movie didn't call for Big to be killed off. So who knows.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2020 at 11:29 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

You're making alllllll the good points here.  I also just rewatched the one where Carrie 100% uses the jazz artist for sex even though she says he has ADHD and can't form a relationship.  When she does it it's "Adorable" in her mind I'm sure but when Sam does it it's probably fodder for Carrie to mock what a whore Sam is.

Contrast that to Sam saying "not my style" when Carrie dares her to judge Carrie for breaking up a marriage.

Absolutely correct. It was nauseating to see Carrie judge Sam every chance she got...AFTER Sam was a true friend and showed ZERO JUDGEMENT when Carrie confessed to Sam about her mess of a love life. It seems Carrie’s judging of Sam got WORSE in Seasons 4, 5, and 6

The Jazz musician episodes reminded me of another stomach turning scene—when Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte were talking about Sam’s relationship with Maria. I understand it was a surprising announcement, but that convo was revolting. Carrie’s “poor I'm a fire hydrant” parallel to Sam entering a relationship with a woman was pathetic  

• Love 8
9 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

It seems Carrie’s judging of Sam got WORSE in Seasons 4, 5, and 6

2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

SJP's real life dislike and disdain for KC showing more and more?

I think SATC was envisioned and probably sold to SJP that she would be the star and the others would be supporting.  And while the focus was mainly on Carrie and she was presented as the character all the others revolved around I think the writing was better for  Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha. And I think viewers gravitated more towards the other women. Watching the show I identified with Miranda and Samantha. The only thing I identified with Carrie about was making bad choices regarding a man who did the push/pull thing with me.  

• Love 4

It's happened on other shows too,

The Good Wife
- Kalinda being uberpopular and Archie winning an Emmy for playing her, and then eventually Julianna Marguiles couldn't stand it so much that she refused to shoot scenes with her

Good Girls
- where Manny Montana has become so popular for playing Rio that Christina Hendricks has started trashing the romance between her character in his and the press, and now the writers have followed suit.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I know neither Carrie nor SJP is popular on this forum, but I thought she was still huge while the show was on. I know a lot of people who still favor her to the other characters/actresses. 

Is the speculation SJP didn’t like Kim getting any love at all? Samantha wasn’t my favorite, but Kim is a beautiful and talented actress. Of course she’d shine more in a lot of scenes and have a lot of fans. Most men who watch the show say they liked either Samantha or Charlotte best due to their physical beauty. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I know neither Carrie nor SJP is popular on this forum, but I thought she was still huge while the show was on. I know a lot of people who still favor her to the other characters/actresses. 

I've said before when I watched the show initially I didn't dislike Carrie. She wasn't my favorite but she didn't bother me too much. It was re watching it (more than once) and knowing what was going to happen that made me actively dislike Carrie.  She never seemed to emotionally mature. The other three women all made big life choices and Carrie was still doing what she did in the first episode. 

• Love 9

I'm not sure if it was distain for Kim or the character Samantha or both. But before Carrie got more control over the show Carrie was a lot more open minded and interested in different kinds of sex and lifestyles. Then suddenly she became more and more judgmental. I do think that's shades of SJP's own thoughts on that coming out. Carrie wasn't suppose to be judgmental. She was a woman who was interested in exploring different things for her articles but also they seemed to interest her. Carrie kept getting worse and worse which SJP really doesn't seem to see.She still seems to think how great Carrie was when really the character became more selfish, spoiled, and constantly acting like a child. She was a terrible friend and terrible girlfriend. She was completely judgmental and close minded to sex and other lifestyles which often times meant Samantha who was completely opened when it came to that. The closest comparison I can think of is Lana Parrilla who kept acting like Regina/the Evil Queen is this great nice perfect person when she murdering psychopath who got off scot free and the character kept getting worse and worse as the actress and writers became BFFS. It could be SJP dislike for Kim but it could also be tunnel vision on her own character. She got the bulk of the stories and seemed to think everything Carrie did was so funny, cute and great and make all of the characters constantly praise Carrie no matter what she did. Whatever storylines Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda got were pushed to the side. But because of that and they didn't get the focus that Carrie and SJP got made their characters better. They were more interesting and we got to see them grow in a way Carrie never did and they probably wouldn't have if the writers had focused on their characters as much as Carrie and didn't have the actor interfering and changing their character into something it wasn't. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Is the speculation SJP didn’t like Kim getting any love at all? Samantha wasn’t my favorite, but Kim is a beautiful and talented actress. Of course she’d shine more in a lot of scenes and have a lot of fans. Most men who watch the show say they liked either Samantha or Charlotte best due to their physical beauty. 

I think a lot of us here like or love certain aspects of Carrie or SJP.  I like a lot of SJP's movies.  However, of course, there are a lot of things I am critical of especially when it comes to the writing of Carrie, certain behaviours of SJP on the show (the shrieking) and the way that SJP clearly shut Kim out in real life.  (This is admitted by members of the cast and it's in the press, details upthread).

My speculation is that a lot of stars of their own television shows don't like it when a second (or third or fourth) fiddle eclipses the star in popularity or awards celebration.  I think it's incredibly common and more common than what is already reported in the media.

Candace Bushnell's original Sex and the City book had Carrie being a jaded, blase Manhattanite who had seen it all sex-wise.  She would go to sex clubs for research and hang out with modelizers and models and have casual sex and one night stands.  You can see that version of Carrie in Season 1.  When she met Big in the pilot, her clutch spills out all over the ground and it's completely filled with condoms.  (That would now be seen as a Samantha move.). Fast forward a few seasons and every time Samantha discusses sex at a cafe Carrie looks shocked/embarrassed, shrieks, mouth agape, says "You're embarrassing us" etc., runs away from her bisexual date at a party, and equates entering a same sex relationship to becoming a fire hydrant or whatever.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
On 4/10/2020 at 9:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Candace Bushnell's original Sex and the City book had Carrie being a jaded, blase Manhattanite who had seen it all sex-wise.  She would go to sex clubs for research and hang out with modelizers and models and have casual sex and one night stands.  You can see that version of Carrie in Season 1.  When she met Big in the pilot, her clutch spills out all over the ground and it's completely filled with condoms.  (That would now be seen as a Samantha move.). Fast forward a few seasons and every time Samantha discusses sex at a cafe Carrie looks shocked/embarrassed, shrieks, mouth agape, says "You're embarrassing us" etc., runs away from her bisexual date at a party, and equates entering a same sex relationship to becoming a fire hydrant or whatever.

One of the reasons Season 3 is my least favorite, is because that’s the season Carrie becomes insufferable for me as a viewer. Beyond just the affair storyline (which we’ve touched on in here as to how she made it all about her, and didn’t truly give a damn about anyone else’s feelings, etc), her attitude towards male bisexuality was NAUSEATING in “Boy....Girl..??”. She’s supposed to be a sex columnist in NEW YORK CITY for Christ’s sake—she should be aware of the full sexual spectrum and have respect for it. Even if she didn’t want to date a guy with a bisexual dating history, for her to openly dismiss the existence of bisexuality with her nauseating “it’s just a layover to gay town” comments...made me wanna WRETCH. And again, she’s supposed to be a SEX COLUMNIST in the most populous and diverse city in the United States. It made ZERO sense and you could tell it was SJP’s influence on the characters direction.

Season 3 also had another episode I loathe, when Sam starting dating Chivon (the brother of their chef friend). The episode was cringey for a few reasons (and not for Sam/Chivon, as I loved their chemistry)....one of them for me was when Sam announced to the girls she was going to go on a date with Chivon and Carrie replied “talk about Affirmative Action.”—that line was cringe-worthy for me in 2000, and still is today

• Love 9
On 4/4/2020 at 10:41 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't really love the idea of Big dying, but clearly SJP loved it.  Probably because it would mean that all the focus would be on her.

Exactly! One thing I hated about the first movie was how everybody had to rally around Carrie after Big didn't show up for the wedding.  Yes, that's really bad, but her best friend Miranda was going through her own personal hell and it was as if her pain and suffering got swept under the rug.  "Just forgive him" is what Carrie & Charlotte would say, all the while forgetting just how hurt Miranda truly was.  That always bugged me.  She needed time to figure out her relationship with Steve just as much as Carrie did with Big. 

It's been awhile since I read this, but I think the one thing that bugged Noth about his character was that Carrie was supposed to have understood what Big was like, but she was so demanding about him making a commitment, and it made his character look like a jerk a few times.   It was something to that effect.  I don't want a third SATC.  The second one was terrible.  I don't trust them to do a third one right. 

• Love 8

Well maybe you're right considering that both Big and Samantha would be dead, and Miranda would probably build a Carrie shrine and pray to it every night, and the storyline would be about Miranda finally divorcing Steve to be Carrie's assistant full time or something and/or Carrie will lose a bunch of money and bully Charlotte into giving her Rose and Lily's college funds to fix everything 😉 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 11
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Exactly! One thing I hated about the first movie was how everybody had to rally around Carrie after Big didn't show up for the wedding.  Yes, that's really bad, but her best friend Miranda was going through her own personal hell and it was as if her pain and suffering got swept under the rug.  "Just forgive him" is what Carrie & Charlotte would say, all the while forgetting just how hurt Miranda truly was.  That always bugged me.  She needed time to figure out her relationship with Steve just as much as Carrie did with Big. 

It's been awhile since I read this, but I think the one thing that bugged Noth about his character was that Carrie was supposed to have understood what Big was like, but she was so demanding about him making a commitment, and it made his character look like a jerk a few times.   It was something to that effect.  I don't want a third SATC.  The second one was terrible.  I don't trust them to do a third one right. 

Yeah that bugged me too. Steve did something terrible but Miranda got none of the support. Big didn't show up for the wedding which is terrible. She gets spoon fed soup. Everyone keeps telling Miranda to just forgive Steve. No one even dares suggest Carrie do the same thing. Both were hurt by their guy doing something terrible. But everyone rallies around Carrie and none of them rallies around Miranda. Charlotte's all she liked Steve she always liked Steve. But for Big she tells Carrie how she's worked on telling him she's dead. We do get to see that part. We never get anyone calling Steve out for what he did. We're also suppose to think their right by telling Miranda to just forgive him. That the cheating was her fault because she was so busy putting work and Carrie (not that anyone would ever point that out) before Steve. Sure she was doing that. But Steve didn't have to cheat on her. He could have called her out for it. He could have had enough and left without cheating on her. Miranda's right when she's ticked about Steve being all about the sorry with her 'how about not doing it in the first place' remark. But when Carrie's pissed over her about that stupid remark Carrie gets all righteous that she was holding back that she thought Miranda leaving Steve was a big mistake and later about Miranda's apologizes. Now had Miranda dared to say the same thing to Carrie about Big she would have been seen as a villain or terrible friend. How dare Miranda say such a thing to Carrie. Not a single one of them points out that Carrie made mistakes too even though that's suppose to part of her arc eventually realizing that. Not only do we ever see any of her friends suggest that to her or talking among each other. They treat the two stories so very differently.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

But when Carrie's pissed over her about that stupid remark Carrie gets all righteous that she was holding back that she thought Miranda leaving Steve was a big mistake and later about Miranda's apologizes.

What was so implausible about the first movie was if Miranda actually thought that her comment to Big ("you two are crazy to get married") was the reason he didn't show up, Miranda should've reached out to Big in private to discuss the matter.  Any one of the ladies could've reached out to him to see what happened.  I thought that most of the drama from said bail-out of the wedding was unnecessary.  

Carrie knew that he didn't want a huge wedding, but she went balls to the wall with it and put him in a bad spot; and Big screwed up by what he did, so they both share blame for what happened.  At least they realized that at the end of the movie.  

I really hated the second movie.  I didn't like what they did to Sam's character, and I don't believe for a second that Carrie would even think about cheating on Big after everything they went through, so if they're going to make a third movie, it better not be some lame plot, like Carrie decides she wants kids but Big doesn't, so she adopts anyway, and the angst ensues.  😉 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5
(edited)

Season 5 is the nadir of the series (well, besides "Ring a Ding Ding").  I understand that:

1). "Anchors Away" was the first show post 9/11 for the writers, the actors, the production staff.
2). Season 5 is shortened because SJP gave birth in real life.

But it is really disgusting.

1). They force Daniel Sunjata to be a sailor who visits NYC and talks a bunch of shit about it.  Why would a sailor  do this right after 9/11? Just so Carrie can be the princess who defends NYC's honour.

2). It's Charlotte's 36th birthday, and they go to (LV?) to gamble and some guy asks Carrie to blow on his dice for good luck.  "Not her" (meaning Charlotte) "the hot one" (meaning Carrie.)  For Christ's sake.   The writers are so far up Carrie's ass as if Kristin Davis isn't conventionally beautiful and as if Charlotte turned 86 and not 36.  Oh and some guy calls Miranda FAT because she just had a baby.  Because Carrie Bradshaw is just sooooooooo "hot" even with her terrible haircut and all of her friends are just so ugly.  WHAT ASSHOLE WROTE THIS?  It was the first time Miranda felt so free and happy after leaving Brady, and this is the punishment she gets.  Getting called fat by some hippo loser in the casino.  And guess who gets the glory moment telling the guy off?  CARRIE.  OF. COURSE.!

When Charlotte finally meets some guys who want to buy her a drink on her birthday - and Charlotte is game - GUESS WHAT HAPPENS.  Oh you already know.  CARRIE STOPS IT.   Oh my god she is such a selfish fucking bitch.  It was totally okay when guys were asking Carrie to blow on their dice, but CHARLOTTE IS NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE DRINKS WITH SOME GUYS ON HER BIRTHDAY.  THEN CARRIE DITCHES CHARLOTTE TO BUY SALTWATER TAFFY.  It sounds like I'm joking but I'm not!  This is what happens!

All season Carrie is walking around acting like a FUCKING MORON shrieking at every opportunity, the faux doe eyes, the shocked expressions, her discomfort at Miranda's breastfeeding, the squealing, the running away (like when Charlotte flashes the sailor, Carrie from Season 1 would not even blink) the way she talks to Big like she's his fucking daughter "You take a napa you don't go to napa!", the gasping.

Oh my god she is intolerable.

Thank god they made Season 6 very good.  I think that Season 6 is one of the best seasons.  But 5 is RIDICULOUS.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10