Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I thought she was partner in a law firm.  Not that it makes a difference regarding your point about her owning a 1 BR apartment, I just thought I remembered firm vs corporate.

I think we're both right, just commenting on different points in the series run. I was comparing Miranda and Charlotte at the beginning before Miranda bought an apartment and was still a firm associate. (I said corporate to distinguish her from non-profit or public interest attorneys who earn way less money.)

FYI: The episode when Charlotte says she can't afford shoes she covets made me think, "Oh right - trust funds or 'help from parents' comes in many sizes." 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, heavysnaxx said:

The episode when Charlotte says she can't afford shoes she covets made me think, "Oh right - trust funds or 'help from parents' comes in many sizes."

The episode in which the salesman gave her the shoes free because he had a thing for her feet?  LOL yeah, I thought her saying she couldn't afford them was pretty odd.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Before Charlotte married Harry, I never understood how she was able to hold on to her Park Avenue apartment after her divorce.  She didn't have any income, and the monthly common charges alone would have likely been thousands, not to mention the cost for utilities and property taxes.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Didn't she get the apartment plus cash from Trey?

From what I recall, all she got was the apartment.   I mean, even if she had gotten some cash from Trey, they were married only about a year, so it wouldn't have been much. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

From what I recall, all she got was the apartment.   I mean, even if she had gotten some cash from Trey, they were married only about a year, so it wouldn't have been much. 

She signed a pre-nup that presumably was for a million dollars. She told Bunny "I'm worth a million," and shortly thereafter is shown gleefully telling Miranda and the others that she negotiated and signed the agreement. Now, maybe that was after a certain number of years, who knows. I know nothing of pre-nups.

• Love 1

According to this, the building where Charlotte's address is would have about $8K a month in HOA fees!  Now I'm not sure what year they're talking about, but if that's now, I'm sure the price during SatC's time would have been nothing to sneeze at!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

She signed a pre-nup that presumably was for a million dollars. She told Bunny "I'm worth a million," and shortly thereafter is shown gleefully telling Miranda and the others that she negotiated and signed the agreement. Now, maybe that was after a certain number of years, who knows. I know nothing of pre-nups.

My recollection was that she would have had to be married to Trey for years to get top dollar.  She wouldn't get a million for a year of marriage.  Though I think basically, they settled on her taking the apartment and nothing else. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Seems kinda Leo DiCaprio ish.  Leo was only 23 when the book was published, but the book was published the same year that Titanic was released.

Leo's douchey Pussy Posse/Wolf Pack is well known. The demand that Charlotte put her finger in Rebecca and let him smell seems slightly too crass for even those douchelords.

• LOL 5

How sad.  I really enjoyed her character, and loved how she grew from just a housekeeper into a kind of surrogate mother for Miranda. 

And I'll also admit, because I knew very little about the actress and her background, that it was quite a shock to see her playing a Judge on Law and Order without any hint of an accent.  I liked to imagine that Magda was running some kind of giant scam where she pretended to be an immigrant housekeeper, while secretly she was a white collar professional on her off days.   

• LOL 7
  • Love 9
30 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Does anyone remember which episode was it  when a socialite was blocking Samantha from enterting restaurants because she slept with her husband, and Samantha went to apologize?

I don't remember which episode that was, but I remember that the helping hand from Leo DiCaprio at the end of the episode was originally supposed to be JFK Jr.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Does anyone remember which episode was it  when a socialite was blocking Samantha from enterting restaurants because she slept with her husband, and Samantha went to apologize?

Pretty sure it's Four Women and a Funeral from season 2.

• Love 3

I remember that the helping hand from Leo DiCaprio at the end of the episode was originally supposed to be JFK Jr.

Originally, it was when the episode first aired...they changed it after he died.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 2

I love me some Chris Noth, and have for years, but when I read the news about his new baby (Noth is 62), I immediately flashed back to a scene from When Harry Met Sally....

Sally's weeping about her ex getting married, and about how she's running out of time to follow the marriage/baby path:

"...And it's not the same for men!" she tells Harry.  "Charlie Chaplin had babies when he was 72!"

"Yeah, but he was too old to pick 'em up," Harry replies.

• LOL 10
On 2/16/2020 at 2:57 PM, Harvey said:

They didn’t even sleep together, they were making out on the couch in his office when his wife walked in lmao

I loved the line Sam told the head socialite (whom Sam had gone to in a last ditch effort to stop being blacklisted) “I only groped your husband’s flat preppy ass because I was drunk! I’ll show myself out.” 😂😂😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, BlueMoon81 said:

They didn’t even sleep together, they were making out on the couch in his office when his wife walked in lmao

I loved the line Sam told the head socialite (whom Sam had gone to in a last ditch effort to stop being blacklisted) “I only groped your husband’s flat preppy ass because I was drunk! I’ll show myself out.” 😂😂😂

The line I liked was when she is like "you want to say I'm a slut? Fine I am....I fucked everyone from manhattan to brooklyn" or something like that. The delivery there is so raw. I re-watched it a couple of times these past days.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Harvey said:

The line I liked was when she is like "you want to say I'm a slut? Fine I am....I fucked everyone from manhattan to brooklyn" or something like that. The delivery there is so raw. I re-watched it a couple of times these past days.

Samantha was very honest about who she was. I loved that about her.  I think of the four women she was the one who's character stayed true to herself throughout the series. 

• Love 15
On 2/15/2020 at 7:00 PM, cpcathy said:

She did some nice work on the show. I always liked Magda. RIP.

I loved Magda. She was the mother Miranda never asked for but that she needed. When she sees Miranda giving Steve’s mom a bath in the series finale, and beams with pride as she tells Miranda “what you did....that is love. You love.” and kisses Miranda on the forehead, my heart absolutely melts ♥️♥️♥️♥️

• Love 15
32 minutes ago, BlueMoon81 said:

I loved Magda. She was the mother Miranda never asked for but that she needed. When she sees Miranda giving Steve’s mom a bath in the series finale, and beams with pride as she tells Miranda “what you did....that is love. You love.” and kisses Miranda on the forehead, my heart absolutely melts ♥️♥️♥️♥️

Magda was a favorite of mine as well, and I loved that scene. :)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BlueMoon81 said:

That was a great scene.

• Love 7
On 2/6/2020 at 8:42 PM, ByTor said:

The episode in which the salesman gave her the shoes free because he had a thing for her feet?  LOL yeah, I thought her saying she couldn't afford them was pretty odd.

I was under the impression that it wasn’t that she couldn’t financially afford them but she couldn’t splurge on a very trendy item that would only get limited wear. The shoes were clear which didn’t match Charlotte’s classic style. 
From time to time wardrobe would toss in something odd for Charlotte that while it looked good I couldn’t see Charlotte choosing for herself. In the episode where she’s thinking about converting there’s a grocery store scene where she’s wearing a tweed Ralph Lauren jacket, Levi’s and then she’s carrying a round LV cherry blossom bag which seemed too trendy and out of character. In the movie she has the Gucci loves NY bag which I could see on Carrie or Samantha. 

As for the apartment, back then the CC’s for a place that size in that building ran $3,500 a month and I assumed Trey or the family trust who owned it were covering the CC’s at least for a certain time period. I know the divorce plot line had to be dragged out a bit to introduce Harry but it seemed overly long and messy for a couple who had a straight forward prenup.  

• Love 3

So I'm watching S3 and I forgot how much Trey was trying to fuck Charlotte while they were dating.  So what was his psychological problem after the marriage?  Was it that he couldn't see someone he was married to as sexual?  

In 2 episodes I saw Steve completely interrupt Miranda's working/meetings for some utter bullshit.  He forced Miranda to get a puppy and then she was the one taking care of it at night.  God do I hate him.

You guys remember Chivon?  The same actor was one of Derek Zoolander's roommates!  (Sorry if I shared this fact before.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

God, Kyra is such an asshole in "A Woman's right to Choose".  (S6).

There's a plot with Harry and Charlotte that is so silly.  Harry learns that Charlotte can't handle him placing his teabags everywhere in her house, and his next move is to sit naked everywhere.  Why would he think she'd be okay with THAT?

I've ranted and ranted about how much I dislike Steve, but at the end of S3 Miranda sees him in a Chinese restaurant after they break up and he's VERY cute and charming.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Binge watching Season 1, and was watching one of my favorite episodes of the series (The Baby Shower). During the flashback scenes of Lainey’s partying days, Carrie has the gall to say (via narration), “Lainey and Samantha had a long-standing rivalry. Both wild, Both sexy, both incredibly insecure.” This is Carrie, the woman who the VERY NEXT EPISODE thought Big wouldn’t have sex with her again because she farted in bed...and 2 episodes after that, breaks up with Big because he doesn’t tell her the exact words “You’re the One” (after only a couple months of dating)

It’s laughable of Carrie to call anyone else insecure, when she’s the living embodiment of it 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

Binge watching Season 1, and was watching one of my favorite episodes of the series (The Baby Shower). During the flashback scenes of Lainey’s partying days, Carrie has the gall to say (via narration), “Lainey and Samantha had a long-standing rivalry. Both wild, Both sexy, both incredibly insecure.” This is Carrie, the woman who the VERY NEXT EPISODE thought Big wouldn’t have sex with her again because she farted in bed...and 2 episodes after that, breaks up with Big because he doesn’t tell her the exact words “You’re the One” (after only a couple months of dating)

It’s laughable of Carrie to call anyone else insecure, when she’s the living embodiment of it 

Well, all  3 of them were. But most people have insecurities just in different aspects of life.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

I agree with all this. Also, I thought Lainey and Samantha were the type who enjoyed being the sexy chick who was the center of attention. They can rarely be friends with women who are similar to them. Too much competition. 

While Big would still obviously want to have sex with her, I think most women want men to believe their bodies don't do anything unsexy, especially in the earlier stages of a relationship. So many females feel very insecure about things that are very minor/natural-things that typically only happen in bathroom, menstruation, having hair anywhere other than on your head/brows/lashes. There's so much more pressure on women. I'm glad there were episodes that touched on these topics. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

I HATE when the show makes Samantha the butt of jokes like that.  They make it seem like she's so desperate for Big's attention in Season 1 too.  I hate that.  I think because Kim Catrall played Sam in a way that was no way desperate or needy for anything or anyone, so it just feels like a huge disconnect now.

• Love 10
On 3/27/2020 at 11:26 PM, BlueMoon81 said:

They needed to do a better job of establishing the timeline for Big and Carrie's relationship if they wanted us to side with Carrie. In the second season opener, Charlotte says they dated for a year, which makes Carrie's response to not feeling like part of his life slightly more understandable (and it makes more sense that Big didn't dump her early on since she's having a meltdown in every episode--how exhausting if that was all over a short period). But the first season makes it seem like only a couple of months.

I like a lot about the first season, but not the Carrie and Big storyline. She acted ridiculously for someone in her thirties. (Season 5 through the Berger period was her worst, though--so much squealing. Does anyone actually yelp that much?)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HawkeyeLo said:

They needed to do a better job of establishing the timeline for Big and Carrie's relationship if they wanted us to side with Carrie. In the second season opener, Charlotte says they dated for a year, which makes Carrie's response to not feeling like part of his life slightly more understandable (and it makes more sense that Big didn't dump her early on since she's having a meltdown in every episode--how exhausting if that was all over a short period). But the first season makes it seem like only a couple of months.

I like a lot about the first season, but not the Carrie and Big storyline. She acted ridiculously for someone in her thirties. (Season 5 through the Berger period was her worst, though--so much squealing. Does anyone actually yelp that much?)

That is something they need to do. It really doesn't seem like they were together a year by that point. It really did seem like a couple months which makes Carrie come off ridiculous. If it really was a year they need to do more to show that more time had passed. 

18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I HATE when the show makes Samantha the butt of jokes like that.  They make it seem like she's so desperate for Big's attention in Season 1 too.  I hate that.  I think because Kim Catrall played Sam in a way that was no way desperate or needy for anything or anyone, so it just feels like a huge disconnect now.

I hated that they did that too. Samantha spent most of season one way too desperate and coming off like she's having a midlife crisis. She's so different from the much cooler Samantha that we got for the rest of the series. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That is something they need to do. It really doesn't seem like they were together a year by that point. It really did seem like a couple months which makes Carrie come off ridiculous. If it really was a year they need to do more to show that more time had passed. 

I hated that they did that too. Samantha spent most of season one way too desperate and coming off like she's having a midlife crisis. She's so different from the much cooler Samantha that we got for the rest of the series. 

With the exception of Carrie I think all the women were written better after season 2.  Their characters became more fleshed out and the writers got a more consistent handle on their personalities. 

• Love 5

I'm rewatching S6 because I really like it, but after Carrie is dumped by Berger she says this to Samantha:

Listen to me being all hurt. Look how many men have broken up with you and you’re fine.

First of all, what the fuck is she talking about?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!
Second of all, what a b****!!!!!!!!!

Source:

https://www.satctranscripts.com/2008/08/sex-and-city-season-6-episode-7.html#.XoNvj9NKho5

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

I talk a lot of shit, but I have to admit that both Carrie and Charlotte are extremely cute and charming when they meet Petrovsky.

Petrvosky:  What do you think of this piece?

Charlotte:  (Starstruck). Very moving.  Significant.

Petrovsky:  And you?

Carrie:  (perplexed).  ......S'good.

And later, when Carrie imitates that accent -- "You are comic?"

I've said it before, but it's definitely one of the best episodes of the series (Miranda and Steve realize they're still in love, Charlotte's miscarriage, Carrie meets Aleks.). (And let's check out what subplot they gave Samantha.  Oh yeah that's right.  Bozo the Bush.)

Here's the beautiful song that plays throughout it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm rewatching S6 because I really like it, but after Carrie is dumped by Berger she says this to Samantha:

First of all, what the fuck is she talking about?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!
Second of all, what a b****!!!!!!!!!

Source:

https://www.satctranscripts.com/2008/08/sex-and-city-season-6-episode-7.html#.XoNvj9NKho5

18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

LOL! I don't remember that line. So passive aggressive.

Carrie did that a lot.  She would say things that were mean and then blow it off like she was joking.

18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've said it before, but it's definitely one of the best episodes of the series (Miranda and Steve realize they're still in love, Charlotte's miscarriage, Carrie meets Aleks.). (And let's check out what subplot they gave Samantha.  Oh yeah that's right.  Bozo the Bush.)

The Samantha storyline didn't bother me because I can totally believe she would do that.  I thought the show handled Charlotte's miscarriage well.  I always get choked up when they are singing happy birthday to Brady and Miranda looks up and her and Charlotte look at each other.  The show didn't show the friendship between those two very often but one of my all time favorite scenes is when Charlotte tells Miranda she can't get pregnant and she is so upset about it Miranda follows her home to make sure she gets there safely.

This show made me want to  have ride or die girlfriends so badly.

• Love 9
(edited)

The show literally drew an analogy between a clown ("Nothing scarier than a clown", says Carrie) and Samantha, simply because she was a few years older than the rest of the women.  She was only 45 by the way.  Not 80.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

The show didn't show the friendship between those two very often

There's a positive thing I can say about the 2nd movie.  I really liked the scene where they were having dinner together & Charlotte confessed that she always wanted to have a family but the kids are getting to her.  I liked the whole conversation between them, it was a real conversation that I'm sure many parents have, plus, as you say, they have so few scenes together.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The show literally drew an analogy between a clown ("Nothing scarier than a clown", says Carrie) and Samantha, simply because she was a few years older than the rest of the women.  She was only 45 by the way.  Not 80.

I didn't like that but Samantha dying her bush would be something she would do. And her being worried about Smith's reaction is true to life.  I myself have freaked out over something physical because I thought a man might not like it.  I am now older than what Samantha was then and have learned not to worry so much what a man thinks.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

There's a positive thing I can say about the 2nd movie.  I really liked the scene where they were having dinner together & Charlotte confessed that she always wanted to have a family but the kids are getting to her.  I liked the whole conversation between them, it was a real conversation that I'm sure many parents have, plus, as you say, they have so few scenes together.

That was a great scene!

• Love 4