Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

Is anyone familiar with this?

http://defamer.gawker.com/why-doesnt-this-clip-of-kim-cattrall-scatting-have-a-bi-1716073609

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kim-cattrall-explains-the-viral-video-of-her-scat-singing-exclusive-115837723.html

The video got uploaded to YouTube in 2011, and I'm trying to figure out what year it came out. I know that it’s from between 1998 and 2004, because that’s when Kim was married to Mark.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
On 10/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, Harvey said:

Berger was not well-off at all. In fact, the entire reason their relationship went downhill was that Berger was a failure as a writer and couldn't handle Carrie doing so much better than him and then that brought out his insecure side. He then became ultra sensitive to the smallest of criticisms even when Carrie said something only as an off-handed joke.

Ohhhhh lawd that scrunchie episode is the WORST. Carrie was impossibly smug and shitty about the scrunchie and when Berger finally fought back she got incredibly high and mighty about him daring to call her out on it. I hate-watch the reruns (because Carrie’s  shrieks and the other affectations that SJP gave her, like the whole thoughtful tongue between the teeth thing, drive me batty) and this is one of the few episode that actually makes me change the channel.

Harry, Steve, and Smith were lovely. One of my favorite moments is when Harry and Charlotte both have food poisoning—that fucking fromage!—and are shown holding hands on the bathroom floor. That’s true intimacy right there 🙂

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Toodleoo said:

Ohhhhh lawd that scrunchie episode is the WORST. Carrie was impossibly smug and shitty about the scrunchie and when Berger finally fought back she got incredibly high and mighty about him daring to call her out on it. I hate-watch the reruns (because Carrie’s  shrieks and the other affectations that SJP gave her, like the whole thoughtful tongue between the teeth thing, drive me batty) and this is one of the few episode that actually makes me change the channel.

Harry, Steve, and Smith were lovely. One of my favorite moments is when Harry and Charlotte both have food poisoning—that fucking fromage!—and are shown holding hands on the bathroom floor. That’s true intimacy right there 🙂

I love the food poisoning. Harry was trying so hard to romance Charlotte the way Alek had been with Carrie but it ended up back firing. It was really great. I loved them holding hands on the bathroom floor. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

I agree.  Carrie was obnoxious about the scrunchie.  I also found it cringeworthy that they made the woman wearing the scrunchie from the south as if south = low class.  I found that bit from the writers offensive.

Harry, Steve, and Smith were favorites for me.  Harry and Charlotte really captured that love is beyond the grand gestures and is about making through the everyday troubles. 

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 9

I realize this is a little off, but, I wasn't sure where to put it.  I came to this thread, because, there is a little bit of a connection(HBO series about young women living in NYC)....Does anyone know if there has been a thread for the series Girls featuring Lena Dunham?  I've looked every where that I could think of.  It seems like a pretty popular show to not be on this site.  

On 1/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, Luckylyn said:

I agree.  Carrie was obnoxious about the scrunchie.  I also found it cringeworthy that they made the woman wearing the scrunchie from the south as if south = low class.  I found that bit from the writers offensive.

Harry, Steve, and Smith were favorites for me.  Harry and Charlotte really captured that love is beyond the grand gestures and is about making through the everyday troubles. 

Yes, and the show must have really disliked southerners a lot, because, do you recall how they portrayed the couple from the south towards the end of the series.....I think they were going to be a surrogate or something.  I found it very insulting stereotyping southerns that way.  I still find it very distasteful.  I was a big fan of the show and found it just mean and ignorant. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I realize this is a little off, but, I wasn't sure where to put it.  I came to this thread, because, there is a little bit of a connection(HBO series about young women living in NYC)....Does anyone know if there has been a thread for the series Girls featuring Lena Dunham?  I've looked every where that I could think of.  It seems like a pretty popular show to not be on this site.  

There is a forum, sort of. 

This is the original forum where people posted during the show's run.  It has been archived so you can read, but can't post.

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/197-girls-v/

This is the current forum, which replaces the old forum, but doesn't seem to be very active.  Maybe you can get it going!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, and the show must have really disliked southerners a lot, because, do you recall how they portrayed the couple from the south towards the end of the series.....I think they were going to be a surrogate or something.  I found it very insulting stereotyping southerns that way.  I still find it very distasteful.  I was a big fan of the show and found it just mean and ignorant. 

They were supposedly considering letting Charlotee and Harry adopt their baby but had changed their minds and just wanted the free trip to New York...and they were from Charlotte, North Carolina which is a city! I know Charlotte was not the teeming metro area it is today, but it was hardly the backwoods. 

Does anyone think Berger would actually have mentioned a "scrunchie" in his book? When Carrie mentioned it to him he seemed puzzled and said "the hair thing?" It was very implausible that he would have "had his heroine running around town in a sca-run-chee!" (as Carrie shrieked).

The woman with the Southern accent wearing a scrunchie being so flattered that she thought she was being mistaken for a New Yorker was ridiculous.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Is Girls similar to SATC? I thought I read that somewhere. 

Well......VERY loosely, but, it is about young women having sex in NYC (I think they live in Brooklyn) as they struggle to support themselves and maintain friendships. (The set looks very similar. Small apts, brownstones, parties,)  The characters on Girls are more like the Sex In The City characters when they were in 7th grade. Very unlikable and flawed characters, but, it is very funny at times.  Good acting too.  I've wondered what all the buzz about Lena Dunham was about and now I know. I've just started watching and have seen Season 1 and part of Season 2.  VERY provocative content, imo.   Would like to discuss it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well......VERY loosely, but, it is about young women having sex in NYC as they struggle to support themselves and maintain friendships.  The characters on Girls are more like the Sex In The City characters when they were in 7th grade. Very unlikable and flawed characters, but, it is very funny at times.  Good acting too.  I've wondered what all the buzz about Lena Dunham was about and now I know. I've just started watching and have seen Season 1 and part of Season 2.  VERY provocative content, imo.   Would like to discuss it. 

Thanks! I miss SATC so much. I’m in my 30’s now, so the premise of the show is more relatable to me now as a single lady of a particular age than when it originally aired. I wish Girls came on when I was younger, and SATC started now but I might still enjoy Girls. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Thanks! I miss SATC so much. I’m in my 30’s now, so the premise of the show is more relatable to me now as a single lady of a particular age than when it originally aired. I wish Girls came on when I was younger, and SATC started now but I might still enjoy Girls. 

Perhaps, Girls is more a generational thing.  With Sex In The City, I could completely relate.  My girlfriends came over every week to watch over a glass of wine.  It was our time.  Girls......I find obnoxious and rather annoying a lot of the time, but, still find it amusing enough to keep my interest.  I feel like I can learn something from it, even though, I worry that with people like them.....oh my....how will our species survive. lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 1/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, blondiec0332 said:

They didn't like Hollywood either.

Good point!  I recently saw the episode where Carrie is trying to smoke in LA!  lol  Everywhere she goes, she is told to put it out!  

On 1/6/2020 at 1:33 PM, Hiyo said:

And pretty much anyone not living in Manhattan for a certain number of years.

Definitely agreed. They even treated Brooklyn like it was some backwoods town out in the middle of farm country....yet it’s another borough of NYC! 

They also treated NJ like it was the home of bad hair, tacky accents, and low-budget apartments (those women who wanted to fight Carrie and Sam in the bar in The Post-It Always Sticks Twice were from Jersey, and Carrie fearing having to live in a less expensive apartment in NJ was treated like she was going to live in a cave full of Lepers *eye roll*)

As someone born and raised 10 mins from NYC in Newark, NJ....I wanted to backslap the writers sometimes 

• Love 5
On 1/25/2020 at 10:42 PM, BlueMoon81 said:

They also treated NJ like it was the home of bad hair, tacky accents, and low-budget apartments (those women who wanted to fight Carrie and Sam in the bar in The Post-It Always Sticks Twice were from Jersey, and Carrie fearing having to live in a less expensive apartment in NJ was treated like she was going to live in a cave full of Lepers *eye roll*)

This was one of those moments where I wanted to smack Carrie, just for the way she treated her realtor.  When you've blown all your money on shoes, and you don't have a penny to your name at the age of 35, you really don't have the right to call any apartments within your price range "shitholes".  What a fucking brat.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I will say in that episode it was enjoyable when when she was at the bank/loan office, and tried to be all cutesy with the employee, and the employee was basically "Um, whatever" back at her.

This was one of those moments where I wanted to smack Carrie

Also later in the same episode when she goes to Charlotte's apartment to make her feel bad for not offering the money.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I will say in that episode it was enjoyable when when she was at the bank/loan office, and tried to be all cutesy with the employee, and the employee was basically "Um, whatever" back at her.

Also later in the same episode when she goes to Charlotte's apartment to make her feel bad for not offering the money.

My least Favourite Carrie episode ever. Sometimes I felt she was harsher on Charlotte because she felt Charlotte was weaker. Her comment at the start of the episode about how Charlotte didn’t pay for her apartment indicated she had a lesser respect for her. While the other two blindly bent over backwards to offer her money, Charlotte was correct not to. Carrie was proven to be crap with money and she’d likely not pay be able to pay them back for years, if at all. As she called out later in the episode it wasn’t her job to manage Carries finances. I still can’t believe she caved and the audience were supposed to view Carrie as being in the right there. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

And Charlotte I felt was correct in her own way. Between Trey and Bunny, she may not have paid for that apartment, but she definitely earned it.

I'm not a Charlotte fan & I always rolled my eyes over "Oh I EARNED that apartment," but if I'm going to be honest, I could see me saying that exact thing if I were in her situation.  Actually, if I walked in on my husband taking a bath with his mother sitting right there in the bathroom, I would have had divorce papers drawn up ASAP!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
Just now, ByTor said:

I'm not a Charlotte fan & I always rolled my eyes over "Oh I EARNED that apartment," but if I'm going to be honest, I could see me saying that exact thing if I were in her situation.  Actually, if I walked in on my husband taking a bath with his mother sitting right there in the bathroom, I would have had divorce papers drawn up ASAP!

Girl you and me both! I’m always scared I’ll fall for someone who looks great on the outside but has some serious issues, like Trey. I’m all for men being close to their mothers, but the ones who have no boundaries at all disturb me. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

Not to mention Bunny butting in and acting completely racist and bitchy over Charlotte and Trey adopting a baby from China.

• Love 7

Didn't Charlotte own her apartment before she married Trey.  I think she sold it after they got married.  She also quit her career in order to be Trey's "perfect wife".  After the marriage fell apart, Charlotte no longer had her old apartment and needed to start over with her career.  Charlotte was entitled to a settlement (the apartment) from Trey.  Charlotte went thru A LOT with Trey and Bunny.  Carrie was there watching her go through it.  Carrie was so cruel to say that to Charlotte.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, movingtargetgal said:

Didn't Charlotte own her apartment before she married Trey.  I think she sold it after they got married.  She also quit her career in order to be Trey's "perfect wife".  After the marriage fell apart, Charlotte no longer had her old apartment and needed to start over with her career.  Charlotte was entitled to a settlement (the apartment) from Trey.  Charlotte went thru A LOT with Trey and Bunny.  Carrie was there watching her go through it.  Carrie was so cruel to say that to Charlotte.  

I think we all have those friends who are very dramatic about their own issues, but kind of see your life as perfect and heartache-free. I don't dislike Carrie the degree some of the other posters here do, but she was so wrong with how she treated Charlotte in that episode. Totally unacceptable. 

• Love 6

I don’t think Girls is like SATC at all. It’s depressing , and seeing Lena Dunham schlepping around nude looking like a sad pudding is annoying as hell. All she’s doing is being herself, which is being a self absorbed, self hating energy suck.

SATC is full of charismatic actors doing fun and frivolous things while wearing fabulous clothing. Then hitting you with a really profound moment despite the somewhat bad writing.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Charlotte went thru A LOT with Trey and Bunny. 

It really was a nice moment when Trey acknowledged that by sending the telegram telling his mother to stop.  He knew he contributed to making Charlotte miserable & genuinely wanted her to have the apartment.

• Love 8

Didn't Charlotte own her apartment before she married Trey.  I think she sold it after they got married.  She also quit her career in order to be Trey's "perfect wife". 

I think she rented her apartment.  There was some mention when she and Trey temporarily separated about her getting the place back from the person who was subletting it.  I also vaguely recall her thinking it was a bad idea for Miranda to buy a place as a single woman. 

As to the career quitting, I never had the impression that Charlotte quitting had anything to do with Trey.  The show really never did a great job of explaining her thought process as to that decision (and I think the reality was that the gallery where they filmed was no longer going to be available). 

As to the apartment itself, do I think Charlotte "earned" a multi-million dollar apartment because a marriage she rushed into fell apart after about a year?  No.  I don't pretend the issues Charlotte dealt with were easy, but I held Charlotte responsible for the failure of the marriage too.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

SATC is full of charismatic actors doing fun and frivolous things while wearing fabulous clothing. Then hitting you with a really profound moment despite the somewhat bad writing.  

I think this really describes why I personally love the SATC movies too.

The first one I think is genuinely good.  The second one I think is terrible.  HOWEVER, I love to watch both probably once a year because they're so indulgent and luxurious and so fun.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The first one I think is genuinely good.  The second one I think is terrible.  HOWEVER, I love to watch both probably once a year because they're so indulgent and luxurious and so fun.

The first one was good.  The second one is what happens when your audience wants a two hour sequel and you have about twenty minutes worth of actual story with which to fill the time. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ByTor said:

I think the 2nd movie is on Netflix.  Despite how bad I hear it is, I'll probably give it a watch 🙂 

It really is not bad. A huge amount of the criticism it received is dumb & unreasonable. I so wish there was a third movie the plot idea sounded very interesting. 🦐

• Useful 1

Caught some of a marathon over the weekend. A lot of Berger episodes. I do like to stop and watch a bit of Charlotte's second wedding. Her wedding dress was stunning, I wish that I'd seen something like that when I was getting married.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Caught some of a marathon over the weekend. A lot of Berger episodes. I do like to stop and watch a bit of Charlotte's second wedding. Her wedding dress was stunning, I wish that I'd seen something like that when I was getting married.

It was really beautiful.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, cpcathy said:

That episode is one of my favorites. I love the engagement picture and her Hitler mustache! I watched that episode the night before my own second wedding. I cried and I laughed. I got my Harry. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I like the Berger episodes!  In fact, I like the whole sixth season.  As mentioned here, lots of Harry.

Have you guys seen how disgusting the actor is on "Californication"?  The man's got range.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 2/2/2020 at 8:42 PM, txhorns79 said:

As to the career quitting, I never had the impression that Charlotte quitting had anything to do with Trey. 

I have a pretty clear recollection of Charlotte quitting not just her job but Work Itself very much because of Trey so I looked it up.

Charlotte said to her friends: "Well, soon I'll be pregnant and that'll be huge. I'm redecorating the apartment and I always wanted to take one of those Indian cooking classes. And sometimes I'll walk by one of those Color Me Mine pottery places and I'll see a woman having just a lovely afternoon glazing a bowl. That'd be a nice change. And I wanted to volunteer at Trey's hospital and raise money for the new pediatric AIDS wing."

She said to a gallery interviewee who asked why she was leaving: "Well, I'm married and we're planning on a baby." 

OT: Charlotte's early finances are never explained so I've always assumed that she, the "Episcopal princess," had a trust fund or some such underwriting her gorgeous, spacious doorman Manhattan apartment, sans housemates. Miranda's one-bedrooms I understood - she was a corporate attorney - but IME the arts and media tend to pay the non-owners in more prestige than bucks.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, heavysnaxx said:

Miranda's one-bedrooms I understood - she was a corporate attorney

I thought she was partner in a law firm.  Not that it makes a difference regarding your point about her owning a 1 BR apartment, I just thought I remembered firm vs corporate.

• Love 1