Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

Freddie Mercury was definitely gay but had one girlfriend he left most of his estate too.  Maybe he was a Bobby Fine in his way.

Chris is still acting but with a lower profile in his projects.

• Love 2

Freddie Mercury was bisexual, and likely so was Nathan Lane’s character. I know this show (and Hollywood in general) think bisexuality is a fad for ratings, but we’re real, and we exist outside of sweeps week, in thousands and thousands of permutations. 

• Love 13
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
On 2/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, Gothish520 said:

I don't who's right or who's wrong in this situation. But generally, if everyone on the planet has a problem with you, and/or you have a problem with everyone on the planet, isn't it often the case that the problem is actually...YOU?

Oh, I would vehemently disagree.  SJP has more power in this situation being that she's an exec producer.  People know SJP's name more than Kim Catrall's, she's been in the business longer and on a higher scale. It doesn't mean that what she says is automatically true. 

I normally agree that when everybody has a problem with you, maybe it's you, but I do make an exception in this case & completely agree with your take on SJP vs KC, @Ms Blue Jay, particularly when it comes to power.  Of course I am an outsider with no knowledge of what really happened in that professional relationship, but I always made the assumption that KC never sufficiently kissed SJP's ass.

19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Where is there evidence that everyone has a problem with Kim? 

I wish I remember the magazine, but there was an interview with KC where she accused the other 3 cast members of being cliqueish, overgrown mean girls.  For example, if I remember correctly, she told a story where the other 3 rented a house during filming one of the movies & never included KC.  But again, I can't help but think that in this case it really is everybody else & not her.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I normally agree that when everybody has a problem with you, maybe it's you, but I do make an exception in this case & completely agree with your take on SJP vs KC, @Ms Blue Jay, particularly when it comes to power.  Of course I am an outsider with no knowledge of what really happened in that professional relationship, but I always made the assumption that KC never sufficiently kissed SJP's ass.

I wish I remember the magazine, but there was an interview with KC where she accused the other 3 cast members of being cliqueish, overgrown mean girls.  For example, if I remember correctly, she told a story where the other 3 rented a house during filming one of the movies & never included KC.  But again, I can't help but think that in this case it really is everybody else & not her.

It could actually be a little of both. I thought I had recalled reading something where Kim said she was a loner on set, preferring to eat by herself Etc. Sometimes others can take that as being aloof or standoffish. I'm actually one of those people who prefers taking breaks and lunches alone rather than sit with everyone else, so I don't hold that against anyone. But there could have been small things that happened over the years that just ended up building to a head.

• Love 7
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Kim said she was a loner on set, preferring to eat by herself Etc. Sometimes others can take that as being aloof or standoffish. I'm actually one of those people who prefers taking breaks and lunches alone rather than sit with everyone else, so I don't hold that against anyone.

Same! 

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 7

Apparently, Shelley Long was like this on the set of Cheers (she would go to her dressing room to meditate on breaks).  And she was the consummate professional about giving her performance her all, so of course, she was branded as difficult and a bitch.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Freddie Mercury was bisexual, and likely so was Nathan Lane’s character. I know this show (and Hollywood in general) think bisexuality is a fad for ratings, but we’re real, and we exist outside of sweeps week, in thousands and thousands of permutations. 

You mean like Blanche in Goodbye, Mr.Gordon? Insert smiley emoticon.

From what I have read, Freddie loved Mary, but when he came out, there didn't appear to be any turning back.

• Love 2
On 5/29/2018 at 6:46 PM, Gothish520 said:

It could actually be a little of both. I thought I had recalled reading something where Kim said she was a loner on set, preferring to eat by herself Etc. Sometimes others can take that as being aloof or standoffish. I'm actually one of those people who prefers taking breaks and lunches alone rather than sit with everyone else, so I don't hold that against anyone. But there could have been small things that happened over the years that just ended up building to a head.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is an angel in this situation, and working together so closely for so many years is going to lead to some problems. But I've never heard a bad word about Kim from anyone without a vested interest in this show, and from their public statements about this extended mess, I'm very inclined to take her at her word about how things went down. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, jenrising said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is an angel in this situation, and working together so closely for so many years is going to lead to some problems. But I've never heard a bad word about Kim from anyone without a vested interest in this show, and from their public statements about this extended mess, I'm very inclined to take her at her word about how things went down. 

That is a good point. But I have to say, I'm not going to blame anyone else for siding with SJP based on what we we've heard (which isn't much) - they may have only heard her side, they may have witnessed stuff, and/or they may be supporting her because they know what side their bread is buttered on. I get that.

• Love 1

Oh god, its 2000-late Julia Allison—-that thirsty bitch is nuttier than a fruitcake and has been insanely desperate for attention for years. She’s pretty much the Phoebe Price of the internet. And she’d be nothing without her initial online obsession with being the “Real Life Carrie Bradshaw.” I even knew of her infamy before she made a total ass of herself on that “Miss Advised” Bravo shitshow a few years ago.

There’s a good reason she has a hate site:

www.rebloggingdonk.com

• Love 10

"I tried to model my life after a fictional character and it turned out to be a stupid idea" is not something I'd be telling people, but I guess the kind of person who thinks Carrie is a good inspiration for anything wouldn't know that.

• Love 8

I particularly LOL at the part where this chick tried nine TV pilots, most of which were reality shows, and then in the next paragraph bitched about Gawker writing about her as a fame whore and “they gave me infamy- and I just didn’t want it.” Lol, that’s why she wrote about her sex life and was thirsty for a reality series. 

Whatever I may say about Carrie, she conducted a more dignified life than this FAME WHORE. 

• Love 7
On 6/4/2018 at 1:28 PM, chitowngirl said:

E! Is doing a marathon of all the episodes starting Friday night.

Excellent!  A marathon is what I need to help me pinpoint the moment I started hating Carrie. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Excellent!  A marathon is what I need to help me pinpoint the moment I started hating Carrie. 

When she started essentially stalking Mr. Big and his family/ex-wife?

When she ditched Big before he was supposed to take her in a beach vacay because he couldn’t tell her she was “the one” yet??

When she threw a burger at Big in a fitful rage before they broke up the second time???

When she repeatedly cheated on Aiden with a very married Mr. Big????

When she told Aiden he “had to” forgive her for her affair after he somehow took her back?????

And that’s just the first three or four seasons!

• Love 21

I had a bunch of episodes on my DVR and watched them over the last few days.   Samantha is my least favorite character.   No woman speaks in a breathy voice constantly and wants to fuck every man she sees every damn day.  She is a one note amid more developed characters.  I am not sure I can enjoy the marathon feeling saturated with Sam.  

I found myself interested in Carrie and MIranda and bored with Charlotte until she met Harry.  

• Love 5

Yes, I haven’t met a woman with as voracious a sexual appetite as Samantha. She’s at the heart of the conservative critique of the show that real women aren’t this obsessed with sex and sexual variety and SATC is more a reflection of gay men than straight women. I think there’s some truth to that based on my experience. Early Miranda is also far more interested in no-strings sex than any woman I’ve met. 

That said while Samantha is completely different from any woman I’ve known, KC makes you believe that Samantha is real and that she’s authentically that interested in intense, athletic, sex with a lot of different men free of any emotional intimacy. 

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Kim Cattrall took a one note character and infused her with charm, humor, and a joy of life.  Sometimes, an actor can lift a one note character and infuse them with emotion and depth... sometimes not.

Totally agree about Kim's work, and after the first season (movies aside, of course), the show wrote to her talent, making Samantha a lot more complicated than just someone who loves sex all the time. She went through just as much as the other ladies, but those storylines are often forgotten. She had 3 (arguably 4) fairly serious relationships on the show too.

Much like when some gripe about the amount of sex they all have being "unrealistic" but say nothing about Carrie's nothing job providing her with enough money to buy the shoes and clothes she did. Or how driven, busy career women like Samantha and Miranda spent so much time having lunch with Charlotte and Carrie. Personally, I don't care because it's not a gritty, realistic version of women in NYC, but the things they got dinged for are telling, IMO.

• Love 11

I always related to Samantha's outlook on life, sexually, or, at least, after my divorce: the more the merrier, and no commitment, until, like Sam, I fell for a younger guy. Unlike Sam and Smith, we're still together. However...I was never a big Kim Cattrall fan, and I only rarely got glimpses of more than one note with her. I liked some of her more serious moments, when she dropped the arch Mae West act, but there weren't all that many of those, and even then, I didn't feel like she landed all of them. I don't see what so many others apparently do here. I don't dislike KC (although the feud with SJP is weird to me, and her final Instagram message to her seemed sort of outlandish, even taking grief into consideration).... I quite liked her on her episode of Who Do You Think You Are? I just don't think she's inordinately talented (and yes, I saw her in Ghost Writer, before I gave up Roman Polanski flicks). Of course, aside from Cynthia Nixon, I think all of these women are fine--as in sometimes good, sometimes meh--- but not great actors.

I was often annoyed by Carrie, but it was only during this phase that I actively hated her.

• Love 10
On 6/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, Brooklynista said:

I pinpointed it to the second she started treating Aidan like shit and took back up with Big.  Too bad, it was all downhill for her after that.  She was a great character in the first two seasons. 

• Love 7

I've been watching the marathon all weekend. The one part that always cracks me up is when Miranda's speech catches fire during Charlotte and Harry's wedding. Her scream and then Anthony throwing wine on her never disappoints.

• Love 5

That whole disaster wedding was really funny. I loved Harry's line that Miranda probably got them to their golden anniversary LOL.

I have also been watching the marathon all weekend. For all its flaws, and they are many, this is a damn entertaining show with some moments of amazing humor and poignancy that still get me, all these years and all these repeated viewings later.

jenrising, agree with you about Kim Cattrall. She is a much better actress than the material she was working with, and what they did to her character in the movies was just appalling.

• Love 13
On 6/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, chitowngirl said:

I’ve always been impressed how, in 30 minutes or so, we got 4 people’s stories and interaction with each other. No one was sidelined.

I think Carrie's voiceovers were used very effectively as a way to move the stories forward without having to see everything play out onscreen. We saw the important stuff and the voiceovers filled in the blanks.

• Love 5
On 6/5/2018 at 2:33 PM, Sun-Bun said:

When she started essentially stalking Mr. Big and his family/ex-wife?

When she ditched Big before he was supposed to take her in a beach vacay because he couldn’t tell her she was “the one” yet??

When she threw a burger at Big in a fitful rage before they broke up the second time???

When she told Aiden he “had to” forgive her for her affair after he somehow took her back?????

And that’s just the first three or four seasons!

Right?!  I had the pleasure of binge-watching on Amazon Prime this past weekend and sometimes I forget just how great and well-written this show really was.

I also finally understood for the first time why the Carrie/Mr. Big relationship was so problematic for me.  I used to blame him for stringing Carrie along and being uncommunicative.  But, in retrospect, it seems that Mr. Big was always honest about where he stood and how he had to do things in his own time.  That was usually after Carrie forced an issue such as her wanting him to tell her he loved her, that she was "the one" and insisting that he let her go to church with him and his "mommy."

Carrie's motivations for her obsession with Mr. Big were summed up in episode 2 of the first season.  When he enters the club after the fashion show, Carrie describes him as a major dreamboat and majorly out of her league.  It seems that she spent the bulk of their on-again-off-again relationship trying to "prove" that she was beautiful enough, smart enough, classy enough and good enough to be with him.  That was fucking exhausting to watch.  From her understandable insecurity in that second episode when that beautiful model came over and subtly commanded Mr. Big's attention; to her anxieties about his ex-wife, which led to her stalking the woman; to her anxiousness to meet his mother and being crushed because "the woman [never] heard of [her]"; to her own admission that she hated how she was when she was with Mr. Big, with the poses and cute outfits; to her plotting to leave things at his apartment; to her obsessing about Mr. Big's immaculate apartment and her place in it (i.e. farting between his $500 sheets); to her never being certain how he really felt about her; and, of course, her obsession with and contempt for Natasha--her beautiful, elegant and younger counterpart.

Any other man would have told Carrie to pound sound the moment he discovered that she had been stalking his ex.  I also noticed that Carrie and Big had major communication issues, and it wasn't just because he was aloof and emotionally unavailable.  He could be quite witty and charming, but he could clearly see when Carrie was plotting ("Why this sudden interest in meeting my mother?") and sometimes he called her out on her crazy behavior.  It's interesting that that very nice young man she met in "The Freak Show," Ben, was not only appalled by her invading his privacy, but he had enough sense to end things right then and there.  

• Love 12

I happened to land on an episode today and was just amazed at how I perceive that show now as compared to when it originally aired.   I must have changed.  That's all that I can figure.

I used to have a group of lady friends, who came to my house every week to watch this show.  It was mandatory viewing.  We had drinks and food, enjoyed the show and chatted about it and our lives.  What a time it was. So many great memories. Maybe, it's because I'm wiser now (lol), but, my feelings about the characters and storylines really have changed.  They still make me laugh.  That's for sure, but, now, I have a more critical eye.

Oh, I was one who never wanted Carrie with Big and I screamed when she got back with him.  Not sure why, but, I never liked him with her.   His all time low was calling her from CA after a big split.  I don't blame him for anything, except that I never saw their relationship as healthy.   

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/6/2018 at 8:33 AM, Melancholy said:

She’s at the heart of the conservative critique of the show that real women aren’t this obsessed with sex and sexual variety and SATC is more a reflection of gay men than straight women

I don't think real people, regardless of gender, are that obsessed about sex.  IMO the most "real" Samantha was was during her breast cancer storyline.  I loved her getting that oncologist appointment for the nun, and I always cry when she gives that speech which prompts her and pretty much all the women in the audience to remove their wigs.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:49 PM, jenrising said:

Much like when some gripe about the amount of sex they all have being "unrealistic" but say nothing about Carrie's nothing job providing her with enough money to buy the shoes and clothes she did.

I actually thought the portrayal was pretty realistic in that I don't think it was shown that she could afford all her luxuries, she was in some pretty hefty debt.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, ByTor said:

I don't think real people, regardless of gender, are that obsessed about sex.  IMO the most "real" Samantha was was during her breast cancer storyline.  I loved her getting that oncologist appointment for the nun, and I always cry when she gives that speech which prompts her and pretty much all the women in the audience to remove their wigs.

Maybe not as obsessed as Samantha, but I've known (and still know) a few men who are darn close to that obsessed with having sex, and almost every man I've ever met was/is obsessed with talking/thinking about it. 

I've often said that it must be awful to be a man, because I would hate to have sex on my mind 24/7. Sounds exhausting!

• Love 6
(edited)

I've often said that it must be awful to be a man, because I would hate to have sex on my mind 24/7. Sounds exhausting!

Louis CK has a whole spiel about how he gets so tired of the way it's all sex all the time for men and how nice it would be to just have a normal, straight-up interaction with a woman that isn't all muddled with sex in the man's mind. It's quite funny. He also mentions that even the most "sex-crazed" women you will ever meet can't come close to a man's obsession with it.-

I work in a mostly-male office in a mostly-male industry and have to say that I agree!

I also finally understood for the first time why the Carrie/Mr. Big relationship was so problematic for me.  I used to blame him for stringing Carrie along and being uncommunicative.  But, in retrospect, it seems that Mr. Big was always honest about where he stood and how he had to do things in his own time.

Yes, this absolutely. If she wasn't happy with the pace at which he was moving or his level of commitment, she had every right to walk from the relationship, and was right to do so. The problem was, she kept going back to him knowing that he still wasn't at her level of intensity or commitment. That isn't his fault.

Edited by Marsupial
clarity
  • Love 4
On 7/16/2018 at 9:43 PM, Marsupial said:

Louis CK has a whole spiel about how he gets so tired of the way it's all sex all the time for men and how nice it would be to just have a normal, straight-up interaction with a woman that isn't all muddled with sex in the man's mind. It's quite funny. He also mentions that even the most "sex-crazed" women you will ever meet can't come close to a man's obsession with it.-

I work in a mostly-male office in a mostly-male industry and have to say that I agree!

I worked in a 99.9% male office for ten years, and I can attest to this. Sex was the #1 topic of conversation by a landslide. I think my boss at the time must've either had extra testosterone or just had no filter, because sex was almost the only thing he ever thought about or talked about. This man was very happily married to a wonderful woman who loved him, and by his account they had a great marriage and a great sex life, yet he STILL cheated on her at every opportunity.

• Love 6

OMG Ghotish520, did we have the same boss??! Mine was actually just divorced (he said because of her infidelity, but I suspect he got there first) and took that as license to bang everything that moved. 

Here's the Louis CK clip:

• Love 1

Eh, I can handwave the number of affairs on the series -- because it ran for six years.  And the first word in the title is "Sex"...what else they gonna do?

Same with the Big & Carrie back-and-forth.  There was roadblock after roadblock, because once the two got together, the series would be over.  And...it was! (same with Luke&Lorelai, Ross&Rachel, et al) Of all the obstacles, the least believable/biggest mistake was Natasha.  I thought the character wouldn't have married anyone until he was ready to wed Carrie.

Watching "Change of a Dress": definitely the ep I hate the most (and the Carrie I utterly revile), from the time of its premiere on HBO.  The minute she broke down in the bridal shop, hysterical over a dress -- a dress!!! -- I think I threw something at the TV.  And then the screaming at Aidan to "Stop! Stop!!" as he was sledgehammering through the wall, practically made me throw up.  Stupid, STUPID woman!  I was never an Aidan fan, but she called it in the next ep, when she admitted to him that she should never have said yes.  

No shit, Carrie.

• Love 10
On 5/28/2018 at 11:33 PM, Maherjunkie said:

Freddie Mercury was definitely gay but had one girlfriend he left most of his estate too.  Maybe he was a Bobby Fine in his way.

Chris is still acting but with a lower profile in his projects.

Freddy and Mary were the loves of each other’s lives.  He preferred men later on, but they still adored each other.  I think that is beautiful. 

• Love 7
On 7/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I happened to land on an episode today and was just amazed at how I perceive that show now as compared to when it originally aired.   I must have changed.  That's all that I can figure.

I used to have a group of lady friends, who came to my house every week to watch this show.  It was mandatory viewing.  We had drinks and food, enjoyed the show and chatted about it and our lives.  What a time it was. So many great memories. Maybe, it's because I'm wiser now (lol), but, my feelings about the characters and storylines really have changed.  They still make me laugh.  That's for sure, but, now, I have a more critical eye.

Oh, I was one who never wanted Carrie with Big and I screamed when she got back with him.  Not sure why, but, I never liked him with her.   His all time low was calling her from CA after a big split.  I don't blame him for anything, except that I never saw their relationship as healthy.   

I used to do this too.  Going to  friends house, eating crab dip and stuff, drinking wine, and sleeping over.   It brought people together.   How I miss that kind of lighthearted fun.  Everything is so serious and depressing now.  This show was so special. 

• Love 6
On 5/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, Maherjunkie said:

You mean like Blanche in Goodbye, Mr.Gordon? Insert smiley emoticon.

From what I have read, Freddie loved Mary, but when he came out, there didn't appear to be any turning back.

That live show about Lesbian Lovers of Miami beat out The Price is Right!

My first time posting on this forum!!!

Anyway there is a podcast series Called Origins that profiled Sex and The City with new interviews from Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Chris Noth, Willie Garson and other key figures in the show’s extraordinary success. 

http://podbay.fm/show/1266445999/e/1542182940?autostart=1 Part 1

http://podbay.fm/show/1266445999/e/1542356677?autostart=1 Part 2

http://podbay.fm/show/1266445999/e/1542629932?autostart=1 Part 3

• Love 2
On 8/30/2018 at 4:05 AM, voiceover said:

Eh, I can handwave the number of affairs on the series -- because it ran for six years.  And the first word in the title is "Sex"...what else they gonna do?

Of all the obstacles, the least believable/biggest mistake was Natasha.  I thought the character wouldn't have married anyone until he was ready to wed Carrie.

Watching "Change of a Dress": definitely the ep I hate the most (and the Carrie I utterly revile), from the time of its premiere on HBO.  The minute she broke down in the bridal shop, hysterical over a dress -- a dress!!! -- I think I threw something at the TV.  

1. Good point, lol

2. Rebound? Never really understood why he married her either.

3. The dress wasn't really the issue, it was a representation of Carrie feeling trapped.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, voiceover said:

Yeah.  I know.  That didn't, and doesn't, lessen my utter irritation with the moment.

Seriously. That was truly Carrie Bradshaw at her most melodramatic and obnoxious worst: “Get me out of here, I can’t breathe, I can’t BREATHE!”

STFU, Carrie—-you tricked a sweet and loving man into nearly marrying you.

• Love 14
16 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Seriously. That was truly Carrie Bradshaw at her most melodramatic and obnoxious worst: “Get me out of here, I can’t breathe, I can’t BREATHE!”

STFU, Carrie—-you tricked a sweet and loving man into nearly marrying you.

Lol, it was definitely melodramatic. Not a Carrie hater, but I admit I don't get what she was doing with Aidan. 

• Love 3