Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Realms-Oops, *Roles*

• Start Topic

Watched Woman in Gold last night with Charles Dance in a supporting role as a dickish attorney.  He was perfect, scowling and sneering at Ryan Reynolds.  Also in the movie was Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) as young Helen Mirren.  Good movie.

(Wouldn't you love to see Dance in a comic role sometime?)

You  may want to check a British mini-series called Secret State.  Charles Dance plays the Chief Whip in it; it's not a comedic role, but he has some snarky lines.  (It's pretty depressing overall, though, so consider yourself forewarned.)  It also has Stannis, Dagmar Cleftjaw and Jory Cassel in it.

• Love 2

More sightings: Charles Dance plays The Master in Dracula Untold while Sean Bean is not only in The Martian, which comes out next month, he'll play Ares, aka The God Of War, in the Wonder Woman solo movie.

Edited by DollEyes

I just saw Kit Harington (Jon Snow) in "Testament of Youth" based upon the WWI memoir by Vera Britain. He played her fiance.

And...? Don't leave us hanging.

The Gwendoline Christie/Captain Phasma hype is really amazing. The Captain Phasma dolls were selling out all over and she looks like such a badass in the armor. I'm so happy for her. 

I just saw Kit Harington (Jon Snow) in "Testament of Youth" based upon the WWI memoir by Vera Britain. He played her fiance.

He was really good (as were all the rest of the actors). I didn't want to post spoilers about the movie, but...

He dies (again). As does practically every young man who goes off to war. Her brother and two of their friends also die. And Vera, who was working as a nurse during the war, goes back to Oxford, marries the officer who told her the truth about how he died, and becomes a leader of the pacifist movement.

The Gwendoline Christie/Captain Phasma hype is really amazing. The Captain Phasma dolls were selling out all over and she looks like such a badass in the armor. I'm so happy for her. 

I think Gwendoline is really going to go over well with the Star Wars fanbase.  A great casting decision by JJ Abrams.

• Love 2

Between both The Force Awakens and Mockingjay 2,  Gwendoline Christie is pretty much going to be in two of the biggest films this winter (and maybe even this year, although Jurassic World's going to be tough to top.)  She just needs to get into the Marvel Universe, and she'll be in almost all of the biggest franchises out there.

• Love 1

I much prefered Emilia Clarke as a natural brunette in Terminator than that fake bottle blonde look in Game of Thrones, which totally clashes with those brown caterpillar eyebrows.

Guillermo del Toro tweeted about having lunch with Maisie the other day.  He remarked that if he ever gets to make Pacific Rim 2, he wants her to be in it.  That's been delayed indefinitely, of course, but that's a good director to have interested in your career.

• Love 2

Just saw that In the Heart of the Sea film (a.k.a. Thor vs. Moby Dick), and I spotted a whole bunch of former Game of Thrones actors in various roles: Michelle Fairley, Josephe Mawle (Benjen Stark), Jamie Sives (Jory Cassel) and Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin).  Sure enough, when the credits rolled, I saw that Nina Gold was the casting director.  She definitely loves to back the former Game of Thrones folks.  She was also the casting director in Ron Howard's Rush, which also had Game of Thrones folks in it (including Natalie Dormer.)

I forgot to mention that I saw Victor Frankenstein last week, which was pretty bad, but Charles Dance showed up as Victor's dad for one scene, and was awesome in it. No one can play intimidating, abusive cold fathers like him. 

Charles Dance is in Childhood's End the SyFy Channel's original miniseries about an alien race that offers to help change Earth for the better-for a price.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which co-stars Gwendoline Christie, has not only made over $120 million in its few three days domestically, it's made over $250 million, aka a quarter of a billion, worldwide.

I was looking at my computer screen during a very unusual/disturbing movie called "Calvary."  My head jerked up because I heard a familiar purrrrr and I'm here to report that Lord Petyr Baelish looks and sounds exactly the same when he's hanging out in a modern Irish pub as he does in Westeros.

• Love 1

Candall said:

I was looking at my computer screen during a very unusual/disturbing movie called "Calvary."  My head jerked up because I heard a familiar purrrrr and I'm here to report that Lord Petyr Baelish looks and sounds exactly the same when he's hanging out in a modern Irish pub as he does in Westeros.

I think someone beat you to this one...

Aug 29 2014. 7:49 am, Plurie said:

Aidan Gillen has a supporting role in the Irish film, Calvary:

http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=tt_ov_st_sm

His Irish accent is really bad. And I'm not sure he's supposed to come off as smarmy as he does. The rest of the cast, however, is excellent.

Aidan Gillen was also in Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.  When he first showed up on the screen, I said "It's Littlefinger.  This is going to be bad."  My wife, who does not watch GOT, looked at me like I was crazy...which now that I think about it, is how she usually looks at me. 

Edited by kcbuckeye2

Just watched the first double-episode of The Shannara Chronicles - Good to see an appearance by Littlefinger's magic horse in there.

ETA: And seeing the quote in the post above me - did someone really say that Aidan Gillen's Irish accent is really bad?

Edited by Which Tyler
  • Love 1

Just watched the first double-episode of The Shannara Chronicles - Good to see an appearance by Littlefinger's magic horse in there.

ETA: And seeing the quote in the post above me - did someone really say that Aidan Gillen's Irish accent is really bad?

Crazy, right, since the man is actually Irish. 

• Love 1

If you want to see Charles Dance young, beautiful and nearly naked, search out "White Mischief."

Also, "Jewel in the Crown."

AND, Alien3, when Sigourney finally gets laid! By Charles Dance!

Ciaran Hinds is an awful child abuser in the second iteration of Prime Suspect and a noble captain in "Persuasion."

Peter D is the star of "The Station Agent" and he is hella funny in "Living in Oblivion," and in both versions of "Death at a Funeral."

The guy who plays Grey Worm is part of the teenage cast of "Pucks" in Episodes.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 1

Two of my absolute favorite fandoms coming together!  Maisie on Game of Thrones is a great casting decision and I can't wait to see her interact with Capaldi.  She'd make for a great companion but happily she's still with Game of Thrones.

I didn't see it posted on this thread but Maester Luwin showed up on Doctor Who this season and Thomas Brodie-Sangster was a regular in the first season of Wolf Hall (which I just watched, so it's new to me).

I didn't see it posted on this thread but Maester Luwin showed up on Doctor Who this season and Thomas Brodie-Sangster was a regular in the first season of Wolf Hall (which I just watched, so it's new to me).

Yep, that was Donald Sumpter's first appearance on Doctor Who (not counting the Sarah Jane spinoff) in over forty years.  Thomas Brodie-Sangster also had a cameo in Star Wars The Force Awakens as a First Order bridge officer. 

Got back from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which had double the Lannister power.  Charles Dance was sporting impressive facial hair and actually being a supportive father as Mr. Bennet, while Lena Headey rocked the Victorian leather jacket and eye-patch look as a zombie-slaying Lady Catherine de Bourgh!  Very silly movie, but I was entertained between those two and Matt Smith basically playing Mr. Collins the same way he played The Doctor.

Charles Dance and Emilia Clarke are both in the upcoming Me Before You (the new millennium version of Dying Young).

I happened to watch The Remains of the Day over the weekend with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson and it was bugging me trying to figure out who was playing Anthony Hopkin's father. It was none other than Maester Aemon!

And The Witch (which looks creepy as hell) just came out this past weekend with two GoT alum in it - Ralph Ineson (Season 2 Ironborn who betrayed Theon) and Kate Dickie (Lysa Arryn) I was really bummed when I found out the movie was filmed about 1/2 hour from me, had I known I would have snuck up there to see them.

Saw Race yesterday and Carice van Houten's acting as Leni Riefenstahl was great. But man, those filmmakers made some incredibly strange choices, such as essentially using Darth Vader -type cartoonish villain music whenever Joseph Goebbels was onscreen and having Riefenstahl be portrayed merely as a filmmaker annoyed that Goebbels kept trying to call the shots over her work. All this...in a film about Jessie Owens. O-o

So, I just got a subscription to Acorn, and watched a hysterically terrible show, called "Shades of Love" all for Charles Dance! He played the Blake Carrington of a fancy British family. It was bad, folks. Really, really bad. Awesome bad, though. Like, my fat ass fully sat through 6 hour-long episodes to watch Tywin Lannister in the British version of a Lifetime Movie.

• Love 1

Emilia Clarke & Charles Dance are in Me Before You, about a young British woman played by Clarke who becomes the caregiver to a rich, young quadriplegic played by The Hunger Games' Sam Clafin.

Wolf Hall was a veritable Who's Who of GOT actors:

Anton Lesser (Qyburn) as Thomas More

Jonathan Pryce (High Sparrow) as Cardinal Wolsey

Mark Gatiss (Tycho Nestoris) as Stephen Gardiner

Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen) as Rafe Sadler

Harry Lloyd (Viserys) as Harry Percy

Luke Roberts (Arthur Dayne) as Harry Norris

Kerry Ingram (Shireen) as Alice Williamson

Enzo Cilenti (Yezzan) as Antonio Bonvisi

I strongly recommend Wolf Hall, both the book and the adaptation.

• Love 2
On 11/04/2016 at 2:27 PM, FemmyV said:

An oldie: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in the 2004 movie, Wimbledon. HBO's been running it.

Gods of Egypt....where they use Gandalfian compositing to make him look 8 ft tall.

Keisha Castle-Hughes, aka Obara, is in Roadies, the Showtime series about the behind-the-scenes misadventures of a group of roadies.

She's also the lead in "Cinnamon Girl," the Prince music video about a young Muslim woman. 

History Channel's Barbarians Rising could have been called Dead Thrones Characters Rising. The first part had Clive Russell (the Blackfish) and Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy), the second had Ian Beattie (Meryn Trant), the third had Kerry Ingram (Shireen Baratheon), and the final part had Richard Brake who was the original actor playing the Night King.

Great topic.

Just off the top of my head.

The action series Strike Back had a few GOT cast members.

Charles Dance as Conrad Knox (the Big Bad in Season 3),Iain Glen as Gerald Crawford Arms Dealer,Liam Cunningham as Gerald Connelly IRA terrorist and Michael McElhatton as celebrity bomb maker "Oppenheimer".

Stephen Dillane appeared in Zero Dark Thirty as the National Security Advisor.

Lena Headey was drug lord Madeline Madrigal in Dredd.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was Delta Force sniper Sgt Gary Gordon in Blackhawk Down.

And lastly, I just saw Conleth Hill with hair as Edward Darby in season 3 of Suits along with Michelle Fairley who played Ava Hessington.

• Love 1

There must be some other people here who watched Skins (the original British version) right?  I mean, I know it was ostensibly for teenagers, but I was really into it when it first made it across the pond even though I am an adult.  I'm not sure if I had the story right or not, but my understanding was that all of the teens on the show besides Nicholas Hoult were on their first or one of their earliest acting jobs.  TWOP is gone now, but I remember a lot of us there were really charmed by Hannah Murray (Gilly-GOT; Cassie-Skins) and Joe Dempsie (Gendry-GOT; Chris-Skins).  Doesn't surprise me that they've stuck with acting, though to be fair I wouldn't know what Michelle or Angela or Sid might have ended up doing on British TV. 

If you never saw it, it's worth checking out an episode to see what you think.  The plot is just the interactions of a group of friends in their early college years in Britain (sort of a cross between US junior and senior HS with community college).  It was a really philosophical show, with a lot of zaniness to it.  I remember one particularly wonderful episode that was like a Jungian exploration of Nicholas Hoult's mind that also had some of the most frankly explicit sexual activity I had ever seen on TV up to that point in time. 

The first two generations were the ones with the two GOT actors, the next two were still enjoyable too mostly due to the incredible charisma of Jack O'Connell and Kaya Scodelario imo, since the direction took a bit of a dive when a father and son team split off into just the son directing, but I never got around to the third generation cast.  Nor did I consider the MTV version would end up anything but a POS. 

Edited by TxanGoddess