Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Realms-Oops, *Roles*

• Start Topic

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but recently Comedy Central aired the James Franco/Danny McBride stinker Your Highness and I didn't change the channel right away. Charles Dance's name was in the opening credits, and he played the king who was very disapproving of his younger son (McBride, the protagonist).

I believe the Eyrie Set also makes a guest appearance in that film. The film was shot in the Paint Hall studios just before GoT started shooting there and IIRC the Eyrie was originally a set in YH that was redressed for GoT.

I'm in the middle of watching Iain Glen (Jorah) in a series set in Galway, Ireland called Jack Taylor.  It's pretty good.  I love British, Irish, Scottish tv shows even if they are hard to understand sometimes.  Subtitles give me a headache!

(edited)

Not exactly the cast, but George had a drop in at Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

The whole bit is good, but if you wanna just skip to George and the Thrones shoutout skip to 13:30.

Good news for those of us waiting for TWOW, he appears to be at home in Santa Fe, and he appears to be writing on his ancient computer.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Mod Note: Please report spoilers of any description using the report function or PM a mod, rather than respond to it in thread. That way the spoiler isn't left out in the open where others may be spoiled, as well as it being brought to the attention of the mods sooner. Thank you.

• Love 2
(edited)

Liam Cunningham (Davos) played one of the main characters in my maybe favourite romantic drama ever: Falling for a Dancer. It is a lovely, low-key love story set in 1930s Ireland and it made me a Cunningham fan for life.

Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow/Bolton) plays against type as the cute, young neighbor of Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi's couple in the british sitcom Vicious which you have to watch if you haven't already. 

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 4

Liam Cunningham (Davos) played one of the main characters in my maybe favourite romantic drama ever: Falling for a Dancer. It is a lovely, low-key love story set in 1930s Ireland and it made me a Cunningham fan for life.

It's funny - I just started watching this recently. I'm only up to the first two parts, and his role has mostly been glowering in the background and looking concerned like some sort of extra on Emmerdale, but you can tell he will have more to do as it goes on. When he gets to take his cap off he looks so handsome. 

• Love 1

People who have HBO--in honor of July 4th, the miniseries John Adams is currently being shown/is available On Demand.  Stephen Dillane (Stannis) gives a wonderful performance as Thomas Jefferson.  (And I have to give a thumbs up to the brilliant and stirring opening/closing theme music.)

Tippi, thanks for this. I might have missed it. Will be good to see Dillane in something in which he's not burning up people and making us wonder if he will kill his daughter. But there is the Sally Hemmings issue, so that won't be fun.

(edited)

Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow/Bolton) plays against type as the cute, young neighbor of Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi's couple in the british sitcom Vicious which you have to watch if you haven't already. 

I watched this last night on PBS. Also started watching BBC's The Musketeers, which has Alexandra Dowling, who played Roslin Frey, as the Queen. IMDb tells me that Anton Lesser (Qyburn), and Tara Fitzgerald (Queen Selyse Baratheon) also make appearances in The Musketeers.

Edited by Lady S.

Kit Harrington was in the cinematic masterpiece Pompeii.

The definitive "What If Emo Jon Snow Was a Gladiator In Imperial Rome & had the Hots for a Woman Who Didn't Have Red Hair" movie.

To be fair, the script needed a lot of work.

(edited)

Natalie Dormer has a bit part in Rush, the 70's era, fact-based drama about Formula One racing 

in which she has a nude scene with star Chris Hemsworth in the first 15 minutes, the lucky witch.

Edited by DollEyes

Okay, I have seen the movie Mama twice and it wasn't until I was flipping through channels as saw it for a brief second that it dawned on me that the lead actor looked Like a dark-haired Jaime. Imagine my surprise and dense of Duoh when I scrolled through the movie description and saw that NCW was the male lead. He looks hotter with dark hair IMO.

• Love 1

Sean Bean (remember poor old Ned?) has a new series on TNT called 'Legends'. He plays a deep cover FBI agent with identity issues. Looks like it might be pretty good! He gets to play all kinds of different characters, which is probably an actor's dream.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/legends-tnt-sean-bean-1081046.aspx

The show is ridiculous, but Bean TOTALLY sells his character and is the best thing about it.  AND he hasn't been killed! Yet. Aaand! He's a good guy!

Caught Iain Glen in a truly terrible zombie movie (one of the Resident Evil sequels) on cable TV the other night. He ends up turning into some kind of super-venom-mutated-monster-thing. Not quite sure about the hyphens there but that's what I'm going to go with.

Weird... considering he is actually Irish.

I know, but he just sounds weird and fake. Perhaps he's been doing a different accent for too long or something. Everyone else sounds believably Irish (and I was just in Ireland last week, so I know what they should sound like) and like one another.

Real accents are often worse than fake ones. Usually, in fact. Because when someone is doing an accent, they "know" what to listen for and how to make that acccent sound like what people expect to hear. But when someone actually has a Dublin accent by way of London, or had a British stepfather for 12 years, or spent 15 years in some West Country town, their accent isn't exactly what people have been trained to expect to hear, even though it's completely genuine.

I know, but he just sounds weird and fake. Perhaps he's been doing a different accent for too long or something. Everyone else sounds believably Irish (and I was just in Ireland last week, so I know what they should sound like) and like one another.

Naturally, there are many regional variations in accents in Ireland like every other country, so where you were may not be where he is from? Plus as the poster above states, there could be other factors too such as he may have lived elsewhere for a long time and that has affected his accent? There are numerous factors/possibilites which may make his accent 'unique' shall we say?

• Love 3

Either it's because I'm a total newbie to 'Game of Thrones' (I'm only up to episode three in season two) or maybe I don't watch as much TV or as many movies as I thought, but I only recognized a few people from other roles they've played before or since their GoT appearances.  I know I've seen Peter Dinklage, Sean Bean, Charles Dance and Julian Glover in other roles (although I would have never known that was Glover if I hadn't looked him up to see who he was playing), but the others were unknown to me.  I did keep wondering where I'd seen Harry Lloyd (Viserys) from, and realized later that I knew him as 'Son-of-Mine' from the Doctor Who eps 'Human nature/Family of blood'. 

Michelle Fairley (ex-Catlyn Stark) is a regular on RESURRECTION, playing the (un)dead grandmother of Jacob, the first of the "returned" on the show. She's a bit shady, but intersting to watch.

Also, Michelle Fairley's character on Resurrection despises her daugther-in-law for destroying the family. Between this and her role in 24, I'd love it if she just does "Catelyn-as-villain" roles for the rest of her career.

I looked up during commercials today to see a short version of Gisele's Chanel #5 "film"-mercial (directed by Baz Luhrmann) and her man is none other than Daario Naharis, Michiel Huisman.

I thought that was him.  For me, he looked hot in that ad, but the ad does underwhelm.  (And by that, I mean it's really stupid.)