Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
halgia

All Episodes Talk: Crime And Punishment

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

the victim “a white savior”?

I thought that was uncalled for, too.  Anyone who adopts a troubled older child is hoping to "save" the child from a loveless life in the streets or in an orphanage. Surely that's not a bad thing.

 

Even the Devil Went to Church 

 My kind of episode!  No children to get upset over, just a disgusting slob of a woman and her professional leech of a boyfriend.  Unfortunately very poor churches sometimes can't afford a well educated, experienced pastor so they end up with someone who's all double talk.  When the detective asked him how he, a pastor and a married man, could have an affair he chuckled and said, "Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin!"  You could tell that was his favorite get out of jail free card.  I'm so glad his church wasted no time firing him. 

Best laugh of the night was the poor young detective who seemed to have PTSD from having to look at all those naked pictures on their phones.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/7/2021 at 7:30 AM, JudyObscure said:

I thought that was uncalled for, too.  Anyone who adopts a troubled older child is hoping to "save" the child from a loveless life in the streets or in an orphanage. Surely that's not a bad thing.

 

Even the Devil Went to Church 

 My kind of episode!  No children to get upset over, just a disgusting slob of a woman and her professional leech of a boyfriend.  Unfortunately very poor churches sometimes can't afford a well educated, experienced pastor so they end up with someone who's all double talk.  When the detective asked him how he, a pastor and a married man, could have an affair he chuckled and said, "Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin!"  You could tell that was his favorite get out of jail free card.  I'm so glad his church wasted no time firing him. 

Best laugh of the night was the poor young detective who seemed to have PTSD from having to look at all those naked pictures on their phones.

I stand by my comment, if anyone read my posts in full I am hardly defending him. I also said “ if true..” Multiple witnesses said she said things like “ I pulled you out of the gutter and should have left you there. “ She wanted the perfect family on her terms. She also did nail windows shut which is a fire hazard.  My friend adopted from another country, she doesn’t fall under that category because despite MANY issues she has never said shit like that.  Murder victims aren’t all perfect people. She was poorly equipped to deal with complexity of adopting and maybe thought “well I am saving them from poverty and bringing them to a better country. They should be grateful and love me” 
My point is that it is complicated. As I said earlier Carlos is manipulative, arrogant and has psychotic traits. He also differed all responsibility. His financial list of demands were obscene and his coldness  during interviews unnerving. She said some vile things but he used that as an excuse to kill her. He  is where he should be. 

Devil went to Church

I LOLd at the poor officer talking about the naked pictured. I am a jerk but I also laughed when the lady said that they couldn’t  be having sex in the truck because they are too big.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, pdlinda said:

On a final note, in order for Carlos to "fit in" with the other inmates once he was convicted, it was necessary for him to assume the persona we saw at the end with the tattoos (including the facial tattoos and the "loyalty" tattoo across his neck) to announce publicly to his fellow inmates that he had affiliated with a particular prison gang. 

He had the tattoos at his trial, before he was convicted and went to prison. He may have gotten them while he was in jail awaiting trial, or he may have joined a gang and got the tattoos even before he got arrested, but saying it was “necessary” is a stretch in my opinion. Many prisoners find ways to survive without joining gangs or advertising their murder count on their faces. We have no way of knowing it he “had” to do this or if he chose to. 

Edited by Lsk02
  • Like 6
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

But you can pretty much bet that when a Dateline episode paints a rosy picture of a relationship in hour number one, hour number two will rip that picture in two. 

Maybe, but this felt like such a deliberate misdirect my head was spinning. First everyone is singing the praises of Carlos, telling us how wonderful he was, how much he loved his mother, how intelligent he was, how everyone liked him. Then all of a sudden the very same people were all like "He's a monster! I was afraid of him!" WTF.

  • Like 11
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Tales like this (adopted kid murders parent/parents) should end the nature versus nuture argument. 

The crime files are full of these cases. For example, the current case of Beth Potter and her husband, brutally murdered in Madison, WI. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe, but this felt like such a deliberate misdirect my head was spinning. First everyone is singing the praises of Carlos, telling us how wonderful he was, how much he loved his mother, how intelligent he was, how everyone liked him. Then all of a sudden the very same people were all like "He's a monster! I was afraid of him!" WTF.

Oh, it definitely was a misdirect, but certainly not something that Dateline hasn't done before. Right down to the same people painting the person in question in a positive light early on, and not so much later on. Even IRL people's opinions change of someone, depending on their actions and circumstances. I  think Dateline dragged the St Carlos version out a little too long, but it is hardly the first time especially when they are padding an episode so that they can stretch it to cover two hours. 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

As I said earlier Carlos is manipulative, arrogant and has psychotic traits. He also differed all responsibility. His financial list of demands were obscene and his coldness  during interviews unnerving. 

Ok, I don't remember specifics from his list of demands but I remember thinking they sounded reasonable in that they all required that he do well in college (i.e., "You will buy me a car for college and not take it away unless I fail.")

To me, it sounded like his terms were holding her to her parental duties. I think she was a jerk and wielded unfair control over him.

Still, not a reason to kill her and ruin your life. Make it to college, technical school, or something and get away from her!

 I would like to have heard from her two ex-husbands. I bet her "lake sisters" don't know the real Denise.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Anyone who adopts a troubled older child is hoping to "save" the child from a loveless life in the streets or in an orphanage. Surely that's not a bad thing.

It can be when it centers self and self worth over wanting to raise a child.  They want a child who will be grateful to have been "rescued" from a more unstable life.  They want a child who will make them look good, pure and generous to others who learn of that child's earlier circumstances.

In reality, they can't handle the complexities of the real child who walks through the door.  A child who might have real trauma in their past (or not).  A child who might be an ungrateful little snot as many children are, whether they've been adopted or not, when they're going through the stages of adolescence. 

That's when the complex applies.

I think what happened with Angel makes me think there's a good chance she falls into this category. 

 

  • Like 8
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

I knew 30 seconds in that it was Carlos. He is very smart and calculated, he was trying to say all the right things during his interview but h e still came off as cold. I think he has some psychopathic traits. He said he deserved to be in prison but tried to defer as much of the responsibility as he could. “ I don’t remember….mom was abusive…she said she didn’t want me and I blanked out…mom wanted me to contribute financially “ Yet he made a long list of financial demands before moving back home and he is almost 18.  I had a job and paid my parents back for my first year tuition…not unheard of.
 The other son was an issue as well.  It all makes me wonder what really went on in that house.  They likely both have deep seated psychological issues that she was not prepared or equipped to deal with. Was she somewhat controlling and abusive? Maybe. If it is true the whole “ white saviour “ tactic on her part is disgusting. Not sure why they bothered to interview his girlfriend. She seemed like a nice girl but it was mentioned Carlos had multiple girlfriends that he snuck in and out of the house. I don’t think she knew him all that well. 

I hated the narrative that she adopted Angel so Carlos could have the experience of bonding with a sibling, then was disappointed when it didn’t happen. Even bio-sibs don’t always click. She seemed possibly VERY unprepared for adopting, especially a kid who had been kicked around until the age of 8. You know that’s liable to be extremely challenging without putting unfair expectations on the child. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Ok, I don't remember specifics from his list of demands but I remember thinking they sounded reasonable in that they all required that he do well in college (i.e., "You will buy me a car for college and not take it away unless I fail.")

Yeah, they seemed reasonable to me. It wasn't all give me, me, me. There were terms that certainly implied that she used money to control him.  To me the list boiled down to, you can't pull financial support from me in college (car, apartment, tuition) if I don't obey your every demands, only if I really screw up. Now, one can argue that demanding a car and apartment for freshman year is extreme but I guess it depends on the school.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I can't imagine my son demanding that I buy him a car. When he was in college I paid for his tuition, room and board and  the total came to exactly $2000 less that my annual income, so that was what I used to pay for my transportation to and from work and clothes to wear on the job.  I didn't have a car myself and took the bus.  My husband was paying our rent and food bill.  I don't know how much Denise was earning, but she didn't seem to be living the high life.

I'm not defending Denise.  It does sound like she was emotionally abusive to both boys and way over her head with boys who may have experienced all sorts of trauma before she adopted them, but I don't think kids over 18 have any right to make financial demands on their parents.  If the parents can afford higher education, cars, trips to Europe, etc. and want to provide it, that's great, but I don't think it's something any kid is entitled to.  If Carlos didn't want to be controlled by her, it was time for him to go out on his own and earn his own way.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It can be when it centers self and self worth over wanting to raise a child.  They want a child who will be grateful to have been "rescued" from a more unstable life.  They want a child who will make them look good, pure and generous to others who learn of that child's earlier circumstances.

In reality, they can't handle the complexities of the real child who walks through the door.  A child who might have real trauma in their past (or not).  A child who might be an ungrateful little snot as many children are, whether they've been adopted or not, when they're going through the stages of adolescence. 

That's when the complex applies.

I think what happened with Angel makes me think there's a good chance she falls into this category. 

 

Yep. There's often a great deal of virtue signaling with international adoptions. I've seen this first-hand. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/7/2021 at 7:30 AM, JudyObscure said:

Even the Devil Went to Church 

Best laugh of the night was the poor young detective who seemed to have PTSD from having to look at all those naked pictures on their phones.

 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:33 AM, sainte-chapelle said:

I LOLd at the poor officer talking about the naked pictured. I am a jerk but I also laughed when the lady said that they could be having sex in the truck because they are too big.

 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:43 AM, sainte-chapelle said:

I laughed at the full drawers of lunch meat and giant jug of orange juice.  At least come up with a good excuse.

I laughed when Andrea was going on about how good the French fries are, and then we saw the officers sitting in their vehicle...enjoying some fries.  Well done, Dateline editors :)

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I knew that Melanie was full up in it. Her first interview, she was so phony and her poor husband, standing by her side-watch your back!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Holy cow, this show!! I swear if I didn't know for certain it was all true I wouldn't believe any of it was even remotely real. Everything about it is utterly bonkers, like a terrible B movie made with very attractive people. Except for Chad. How can so many outwardly normal-looking people be so deeply deluded and/or evil? 

So much new stuff in this episode. It's like every new thing we learn about Chad and Lori makes them seem worse and more heinous. 

I cannot look at the clips and photos of the children, though. It's too upsetting. 

I look forward to them making a movie about this story, only I don't know if it's possible to recreate this with actors. I can hardly believe it and they're showing the real people! 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Was the whole show about the Daybells? 

I know they fascinate a lot of people so I understand why Dateline would keep going back to this well. But for me, one episode of Daybell Dateline was enough for me.  So if it is, that will let me know I can delete it.

 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

It's 100% about them. Lots of new interviews and info, but if you truly don't want to hear any more about them, definitely skip this show. It's 2 straight hours of them and their evil machinations. 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm frankly sick of hearing about the Daybells. If Dateline is going to do an update on their story I don't need what we already know rehashed for the umpteenth time. I was hoping to hear more about how they discovered where the children were buried but they didn't even cover that. Just a lot of new stuff about Lori's brother, which I really don't care about.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Am I remembering correctly from one of the earlier Daybell episodes while the kids were still “missing” that Lori’s mom totally defended her? I did find it interesting that her other brother seemed to be helping her husband try to get away from her. I wouldn’t mind hearing what he has to say, about both Lori and Alex.

 
I appreciated how much Melani was shown. She’s a mini-Lori and it sounds like her ex husband and those police officers likely saved her kids’ lives. I do wish she could be charged with something. 


It’s very obvious Chad’s team is going to try to pin all of this on Alex. I cannot believe with all of those horrible texts his kids are still on his side. 

Edited by Lsk02
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sick of the Daybells too and I've read alot of this case on the sister in laws blog but there was stuff I had not heard in detail before.

The big takeaway is that Melanie is diabolical.  I think with Lori's and Melanie's blonde good looks, they got away with murder, literally.

Melanie fighting with the cops like they were putty in her hands. It was great to see them lock her up, too bad she was bailed out in hours by Alex. What a self entitled psychopath.

It drove me mad though that Dateline and everyone involved acted perplex in why they they married Alex to Zulema and he planned to kill her with the massage table draped in plastic. I need to rewatch or look that up on how she got out of being murdered and he ended up dead.

But my take on it was that they married those couples off to get life insurance on them. It's always about the money.

It didn't work out. It looks like Melanie is the only one who isn't dead or behind bars that should be.

Brandon also lucky he's alive and was smart enough to go in hiding.  Those cops were able to foil the plan to kill Melanie's kids though. It's just disgusting she's still out here reproducing and married to some  other guy who knows what she's involved in. How is he sleeping at night and is he allowing her to take out life insurance on him?  lol

I could go on and on about these people.

Edited by LEILANI2
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I live in Arizona. If you're sick of hearing about Lori, imagine how sick I was of hearing about Jodi Arias.

Jodi and Casey Anthony should send thank-you cards to Lori, the new most -hated woman in America.

I'd love to know how they managed to kill Alex Cox and made it look like blood clots in autopsy.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LEILANI2 said:

The big takeaway is that Melanie is diabolical.  I think with Lori's and Melanie's blonde good looks, they got away with murder, literally.

I'd like to be the first to announce that Melanie has gone dark.  You only need to look at those black roots to know it.

I was glad to hear Keith say something negative about all the shoddy police work in this case. The detectives who let Lori walk away with their sympathy, immediately after Charles was killed, just infuriate me. 

We all know that when someone dies suspiciously the spouse is the most likely perpetrator.  In this case the victim had been to the police shortly prior to his killing saying, "My wife is going to kill me!"  She was laughing immediately after his death.  She took her youngest to school immediately after and before calling the police. 

The stupid female detective with Lori:  Lori says, "Charles is, er, uh, crazy." Does the detective ask for examples, maybe put Lori on the spot and see if she slips up and mentions zombies?  Nope, the detective actually gives Lori ideas about what to say, "How was he crazy? Was he yelling and screaming?"  Lori replies, "Yes! Yes!  Yelling and screaming! That's it."

Then we see Tylee saying Charles's eyes looked crazy. (Exact word her mother used, hmmm) A teenager who has just seen her gentle step-father shot might actually have broken down and given them some information that would have ultimately saved her own life, but nope the detectives are all, "Oh crazy eyes. Okay.  Go on home."

If you hit someone in the back of the head with a ball bat, wouldn't the cut be horizontal?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

If you hit someone in the back of the head with a ball bat, wouldn't the cut be horizontal?

Don’t know.

But if you give me a bat and put me in a room with Chad or Lori - I can gladly tell you.  

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/13/2021 at 1:28 AM, Melina22 said:

It's 100% about them. Lots of new interviews and info, but if you truly don't want to hear any more about them, definitely skip this show. It's 2 straight hours of them and their evil machinations. 

Thank you. I started watching it, but then I got to the part where they had interview footage of Tylee.  I loved the psychologist and his wife the journalist.  I thought he was very informative and thoughtful in his remarks and would be interesting to listen to further.  However, when he started describing how Tylee couldn't sit still and seeing her and knowing what was done to her, I turned the show off.  It does seem like Dateline is giving Chad and Lori publicity, and I find that infuriating.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

The stupid female detective with Lori:  Lori says, "Charles is, er, uh, crazy."

In this case, I think Charles was trapped by gender bias in terms of domestic relationships. Lori is the woman. Charles is the man.  I think the detective saw the gender narrative that more frequently happens...that the man was the aggressor, and didn't investigate further so as to confirm or disprove that bias.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

think the detective saw the gender narrative that more frequently happens...that the man was the aggressor, and didn't investigate further so as to confirm or disprove that bias.

Agreed. But also the police and detectives are only human. In Lori, Melanie, Alex, etc. they were facing pleasant, attractive, apparently well-adjusted and normal people who didn't display any red flags or signs of guilt. There's a reason sociopaths literally get away with murder. 

24 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

However, when he started describing how Tylee couldn't sit still and seeing her and knowing what was done to her, I turned the show off.  

I hear you. I had to FF. Too awful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ohmo said:

In this case, I think Charles was trapped by gender bias in terms of domestic relationships. Lori is the woman. Charles is the man.  I think the detective saw the gender narrative that more frequently happens...that the man was the aggressor, and didn't investigate further so as to confirm or disprove that bias.

Oh absolutely. 

That's been going on for far too long.  Women know they can shoot their husband in the back while he sleeps and get away with it.  Just so long as they have some story ready, like, "He made me wear platform shoes during sex."

  Police should know better than to fall for that or to believe that a good looking woman who speaks well couldn't possibly commit murder. It's their job, they should be better at it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

That's been going on for far too long.  Women know they can shoot their husband in the back while he sleeps and get away with it.  Just so long as they have some story ready, like, "He made me wear platform shoes during sex."

  Police should know better than to fall for that or to believe that a good looking woman who speaks well couldn't possibly commit murder. It's their job, they should be better at it!

I read quite a bit of true crime books years ago.   One woman had a husband that 'accidentally' shot himself with a gun he kept under his pillow.   Then she moves, remarries, and second husband 'accidentally' shot himself with the same story.    Someone had to tell the authories in the second husband case, about the first shooting, she was convicted of both murders. 

Yes, the 'he made me wear a blonde wig, and slutty platforms story', the minister's wife told after she shot her husband while he was sleeping, disabled the phone so he couldn't call for help, so he died,  and she was believed.    I hated how everything she said didn't require proof.   She could have bought the shoes and wig any time at some thrift shop, and at first her father claimed he never saw a bruise on her, and then he claims she was brutalized regularly.     I just feel sorry for the daughter who testified against her, having to go live with the mother after her joke of a sentence.   (From what I've read, the real story is the wife was cashing bad checks, and sending the money to scammers.   The husband got a call from the bank about their accounts being overdrawn, and the bad checks, and they were supposed to go to the bank soon, where her crimes would be discovered).   

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna20266733

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I had to come back and say that with all the people theymurdered, they never got any insurance money out of it. 

You'd think she would have stopped after they killed Charles only to find out he was on to them and changed his will for all his money to go to his sister.

I'm still not sure about Alex dying a 'natural' death and how he married Zulema and within two weeks was trying to murder her.  I don't want to go down the rabbit hole again with this case though so I'll stop here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I read quite a bit of true crime books years ago.   One woman had a husband that 'accidentally' shot himself with a gun he kept under his pillow.   Then she moves, remarries, and second husband 'accidentally' shot himself with the same story.    Someone had to tell the authories in the second husband case, about the first shooting, she was convicted of both murders. 

This is why you’re one of my favorite posters CrazyInAlabama - we read the same books. I’m guessing you mean Barbara Stager, the beast who killed her second husband Russell.   What I specifically remember from the book is how the police were taken aback how much she enjoyed reenacting the shooting.  The officer they used to play Russell was a young man and she had no problem laying next to him on the bed.  Most spouses wouldn’t be able to reenact the shooting but she was fine.  What a piece of dirt she is.  From what I understand even though she has a life sentence - she is regularly seen “around town” having lunch with prison personnel.  

Different rules for different people I suppose.

I guess a life sentence doesn’t mean what it used to.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, the 'he made me wear a blonde wig, and slutty platforms story', the minister's wife told after she shot her husband while he was sleeping, disabled the phone so he couldn't call for help, so he died,  and she was believed.    I hated how everything she said didn't require proof.   She could have bought the shoes and wig any time at some thrift shop, and at first her father claimed he never saw a bruise on her, and then he claims she was brutalized regularly.     I just feel sorry for the daughter who testified against her, having to go live with the mother after her joke of a sentence.   (From what I've read, the real story is the wife was cashing bad checks, and sending the money to scammers.   The husband got a call from the bank about their accounts being overdrawn, and the bad checks, and they were supposed to go to the bank soon, where her crimes would be discovered).   

Mary Winkler. The entire time she was on the stand she was wearing the 3 inch cross.  I wanted to tell her to try on the wig and shoes. "If they don't fit, you must acquit."  He was probably a "you must submit and do things my way" kind of husband and preacher, but he did not deserve to be murdered.  The timing because they were supposed to go to the bank the next day confirms my thought that she knew she had messed up and didn't want him to find out, so she decided to get rid of her "problem."  
 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

This is why you’re one of my favorite posters CrazyInAlabama - we read the same books. I’m guessing you mean Barbara Stager, the beast who killed her second husband Russell.   What I specifically remember from the book is how the police were taken aback how much she enjoyed reenacting the shooting.  The officer they used to play Russell was a young man and she had no problem laying next to him on the bed.  Most spouses wouldn’t be able to reenact the shooting but she was fine.  What a piece of dirt she is.  From what I understand even though she has a life sentence - she is regularly seen “around town” having lunch with prison personnel.  

Different rules for different people I suppose.

I guess a life sentence doesn’t mean what it used to.

There have been a couple of black widows that have blended together for me where they got away with the first murder.

There have been several who used antifreeze and there was one particularly woman who killed two husbands and then attempted to frame her daughter by giving her an overdose in a drink and leaving a fake confessional suicide note.

I am not sure whether it is the same re-enactment you are discussing but there was one where the woman couldn't actually do the re-enactment on the video. 

And there was one where the police initially accepted suicide so the next day the "widow" was having a painting party and the brother or father walked in and was appalled.

And then there are the widows who immediately dispose of personal belongings. For whatever reason - based on my extensive viewing of true crime 😂 women attempt to stage a suicide or sometimes a break-in while men seem to dispose of the body and attempt to claim that the woman just mysteriously left town. It is especially heartbreaking when there are children and they then grow up thinking their mother just abandoned them. I hate the thought of children being raised by the murderous spouse without any contact with the dead spouse's family.

Cold Justice on Saturday night had a mysterious disappearance of a wife who had recently separated from the spouse and had an 11 month old daughter. She was raised by the father and wasn't allowed to even speak of the mother but was told she had abandoned her. Her step mother even destroyed all the baby pictures. It wasn't until she was 18 that she reached out to her aunts who told her how much her mother loved her. The skeletal remains were discovered 8 years after her disappearance.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, amarante said:

There have been a couple of black widows that have blended together for me where they got away with the first murder.

There have been several who used antifreeze and there was one particularly woman who killed two husbands and then attempted to frame her daughter by giving her an overdose in a drink and leaving a fake confessional suicide note.

I am not sure whether it is the same re-enactment you are discussing but there was one where the woman couldn't actually do the re-enactment on the video. 

And there was one where the police initially accepted suicide so the next day the "widow" was having a painting party and the brother or father walked in and was appalled.

And then there are the widows who immediately dispose of personal belongings. For whatever reason - based on my extensive viewing of true crime 😂 women attempt to stage a suicide or sometimes a break-in while men seem to dispose of the body and attempt to claim that the woman just mysteriously left town. It is especially heartbreaking when there are children and they then grow up thinking their mother just abandoned them. I hate the thought of children being raised by the murderous spouse without any contact with the dead spouse's family.

Cold Justice on Saturday night had a mysterious disappearance of a wife who had recently separated from the spouse and had an 11 month old daughter. She was raised by the father and wasn't allowed to even speak of the mother but was told she had abandoned her. Her step mother even destroyed all the baby pictures. It wasn't until she was 18 that she reached out to her aunts who told her how much her mother loved her. The skeletal remains were discovered 8 years after her disappearance.

The evil Stacey Castor. 

She died of a coronary in prison.  She went to her grave insisting she was innocent.  

I’ll go to mine insisting she’s an evil bitch.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Don't get me started, all I can think about is Betty Broderick. How that woman garnered sympathy from people, I'll never understand. Betty is a cold blooded murderer with such entitlement it makes me ragey. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Don't get me started, all I can think about is Betty Broderick. How that woman garnered sympathy from people, I'll never understand. Betty is a cold blooded murderer with such entitlement it makes me ragey. 

I totally agree with you.   Her lies are so numerous, but people believed them.    The way that woman treated her own children was despicable.   The mean ex-husband cheating her routine was garbage too. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

No feedback on last night’s Drew Peterson story?  As a local, I’d like read the impressions of the rest of the country/world.

And, as a local, I’d like to offer my own perspective: Peterson is conceited, cruel, obnoxious, oblivious, narcissistic, and a host of other character flaws.  But he is not as much of an aberration as one would hope.   
That does a lot to explain how he got away with so much for so long.  In the meantime, he’s still collecting somewhere around $80K a year from his municipal pension, despite not working past the age of 55; if he had remained on the force, it would have increased.  The third wife knew what she was doing when she wanted half of his pension; too bad the first investigators were disinclined to work.

Illinois: where you can get paid more for not working than many do for actually working. Who you know is more important than what you know.

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

There should be some kind of law that convicted murderers who were public servants get their pensions taken away.

Well, 14 years in prison hasn't changed him one iota. Natalie Morales could barely contain her contempt and disgust.  

PS. I'm sure there will be more comments. I'm guessing everyone was watching 20/20 last night instead of Dateline! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Ladies, if we have learned anything from watching these shows, it is never, ever marry a man with the surname Peterson.

  • Like 19
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rlc said:

Ladies, if we have learned anything from watching these shows, it is never, ever marry a man with the surname Peterson.

I invariably see the name Drew Peterson, and think he's the one who killed Lacey. Last night I passed on watching Dateline for this reason, and only realized my mistake later. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I invariably see the name Drew Peterson, and think he's the one who killed Lacey. Last night I passed on watching Dateline for this reason, and only realized my mistake later. 

Please don't forget the inimitable MICHAEL PETERSON, who was convicted of killing his wife, Kathleen (she fell down a flight of stairs) in 2003.  He was also implicated in the death of his first wife in Germany.  She also fell down a flight of stairs.  

There was a successful appeal (on legal grounds, not on the substance of the charges).  In 2017, Peterson accepted an Alford plea (didn't plead guilty but admitted the State had enough evidence for a conviction).  The charge was reduced to manslaughter and the Judge released him on time served.  I believe he served about 10 yrs in prison before he appeal was granted.

Maybe the despicable DREW Peterson hopes for a similar outcome.  I doubt it!!

  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

Please don't forget the inimitable MICHAEL PETERSON,

Oh dear. After I realized Drew Peterson wasn't the one who killed Lacey, I thought he was the one with the stairs. Holy cow, how many Peterson wife murderers are there? 😬😬😬

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

A rehash of the Drew Peterson case? Why? It's not as if there was any new information about it. Last week the Vallow/Daybell rehash and this week Drew Peterson. What's next, Scott Peterson? JonBenet Ramsey?

I'm worried Dateline is running out of murderers. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

A rehash of the Drew Peterson case? Why? It's not as if there was any new information about it. Last week the Vallow/Daybell rehash and this week Drew Peterson. What's next, Scott Peterson? JonBenet Ramsey?

I'm worried Dateline is running out of murderers. 

I get the feeling that budgetary constraints are what are driving the "repeats."  Much less $$$ to produce. 

NBC should be more respectful of its long-time Dateline viewers. 

I, for one, expect more from them to retain my loyalty as a viewer.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/19/2021 at 9:59 AM, hookedontv said:

Don't get me started, all I can think about is Betty Broderick. How that woman garnered sympathy from people, I'll never understand. Betty is a cold blooded murderer with such entitlement it makes me ragey. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, the fact that she thinks she was justified in doing what she did just baffles me.   

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 

There have been a couple of black widows that have blended together for me where they got away with the first murder.

There have been several who used antifreeze and there was one particularly woman who killed two husbands and then attempted to frame her daughter by giving her an overdose in a drink and leaving a fake confessional suicide note.

Ok when reading this post about the women who killed two husbands with antifreeze I thought you were talking about Lynn Turner who killed Policeman husband Glenn Turner then later killed her Fireman boyfriend (didn't marry so she could keep Glen's pension but had two kids) for insurance money.  She should have checked on payments to said insurance as BF missed last couple of payments so she killed him for nothing.  

Glen was a friend of mine and the nicest guy you would want to meet.  Lynn was a 911 dispatcher that had a thing for men in uniform.  All of Glen's cop friends tried to talk him out of marrying her as they knew she was a parasite.  unfortunately he did not listen.  She tried killing him for weeks with the antifreeze but he was so sick she HAD to take him to hospital where he got better once they got fluids in him.  The day she brought him home she loaded him up with antifreeze and watched him wither in pain while it slowly killed him.  

His cop friends pleaded with detectives that she killed him and it was not natural death.  It was listed that he got infection in his blood that killed him. The family too thought she did something but did not have the money to pay for another autopsy.  

There was a reporter that followed the case and when years later it comes up that Lynn's BF died of "natural" causes she brought the two families together and compare notes.  It was chilling how cold blooded she was.

She was found guilty and died in prison of an overdose of Blood Pressure medicine.  It appears she committed suicide.

And for all 2 hour episodes I at minimum skip the first 2-3 segments before watching or I have jumped to the beginning of 2nd hour and don't miss much about the crime.

Edited by gaPeach
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh great, now Dateline is doing commercials like 20/20. Complete with movie clips and garish Gucci product placement adorning Maria Shriver. 

I didn't know the story, so I watched it. I was super annoyed with Maria's tendency to ask questions with "right?!" tacked on the end of them. AKA: "So she felt betrayed, right?!"

Hope this doesn't become a trend for Dateline. I prefer my murder without talking heads from People Magazine.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The interviewer was Natalie Morales.

 

I didn’t really take her Gucci wearing as product placement? I mean, the entire show was about the name and the brand, so I’m guessing she was just part of it. I kept thinking how much she must have worried about what to wear for these interviews, her wardrobe for this episode was more important than it has likely ever been. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I know these shows are always very careful not to speak ill of the victim, but I really didn't like him very much.  Spending money like water, ruining the business his father and grandfather had built, too chicken to ask his wife for a divorce, so he sneaks out and has a friend tell her  he's never coming back. 

The American girlfriend seemed kind of pathetic, talking about what a honor it had been to know him.  Any man who honestly believes his sail fell down because his wife's friend is a powerful witch who put a spell on it is just a silly child to me, I don't care how famous his name is, after all they're just shoes.

 

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size