Type keyword(s) to search

Eyeshadow: Single shades or sets?

• Start Topic

Viseart came out with a petit pro 3 and is apparently even more pigmented than their usual large palette like Bridal. I have a viseart palette and the hype is real, it is the most intense I've ever used and so finely milled it actually blends itself. Seriously if in a hurry bump the base shade on the entire life, crease brush a brown or plum shade on just above your crease (use a teeny tiny tiny bit this is pigmented af) then windshield wiper a copy times to blend. If ya feeling it or have another 2 minutes use their shimmer or gilded shade on your lid with a pinkie tap. I've also used their shadows as eyeliner before. I know this stuff is expensive but it is hand made and the petit pro pallete is only 30 so I'll likely buy the new one even though I have palettes  ? 

I bought both the Dior summer palettes - the neutral one with the pop of orange/coral and the blues one. The blues one is a lot more pigmented than I bargained for. The neutral one is quite nice and soft and bronzey - kinda like the Chanel Desert Empreintes one from a couple years ago. Instead of green, you get the coral/orange.

• Love 1

I was recently doing my eye makeup on vacation and it was coming out looking rather muddy. I'm not sure if it's that tastes in makeup are changing with all the complicated (lots of shades) and graphic (strong contrast between light and dark) Instagram/youtube beauty guru styles or if my makeup is getting old or if I should just start upgrading to better products. I feel like I used to do a lot of soft or smoky or shimmery (but not glittery) looks and it was fine. But this time the only palette that was doing what I wanted was my little Huda Beauty mini. You're supposed to do all this blending but I feel like I've gotten used to seeing a really defined crease.

I expected that the Dior quint blue centre shade would be a bit more sheer. The rest of the palette is good. I can easily use the turquoise blue with neutrals.

I have noticed that as some of my palettes got older, they would perform in a more muddy way. Thought maybe it was just time to wash my brushes. Been using up some old palettes too.

On 5/13/2018 at 10:20 PM, Frozendiva said:

I bought both the Dior summer palettes - the neutral one with the pop of orange/coral and the blues one. The blues one is a lot more pigmented than I bargained for. The neutral one is quite nice and soft and bronzey - kinda like the Chanel Desert Empreintes one from a couple years ago. Instead of green, you get the coral/orange.

Blue is insanely in style right now. If it's too bright maybe try using a liner brush and using it as liner. I do that sometimes and it looks more subtle than you think. 

Petunia13, I like blue eyeshadow. Am not a fan of the basic neutrals - i.e. brown, off brown, light brown, dark brown -  for my hazel eyes. I'll be playing around with the palette a bit. Just reminds me of the 80s/90s!

• Love 1

I just bought myself an Urban Decay Electric palette. It was sold out (but formerly discounted down to $15) on the UD website. I got mine from Nordstrom Rack for under $25. Maybe having some vibrant colors will make up for my muddy old palettes. Now that I think about it, I do have some newer palettes. I have two newer Tarte palettes and the HUDA beauty mini. I just didn't take them with me traveling because they're relatively bigger. 

It annoys me how hard it is to find affordable eyeshadow singles in a decent color range that don't contain microplastics. Eyelids are small. Palettes with more than a few shades are probably not necessary for the average makeup user (aka not a makeup artist or hobbyist), and yet they're such a huge part of the market now. A lot of times the shades within the palette look near-identical on the eye too (blush, bronzer, and highlight palettes are even worse offenders in this respect). It just results in more trash and more waste because most of the time when people buy palettes, there are at least a few colors they won't use or have duplicates of already.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

It annoys me how hard it is to find affordable eyeshadow singles in a decent color range that don't contain microplastics. Eyelids are small. Palettes with more than a few shades are probably not necessary for the average makeup user (aka not a makeup artist or hobbyist), and yet they're such a huge part of the market now. A lot of times the shades within the palette look near-identical on the eye too (blush, bronzer, and highlight palettes are even worse offenders in this respect). It just results in more trash and more waste because most of the time when people buy palettes, there are at least a few colors they won't use or have duplicates of already.

Microplastics: which beauty brands are safe to use?

Beat the Microbead: Look for the Zero

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Thanks for the helpful links. When people think of microplastics they usually think of those little exfoliating beads. But there are a lot of other types of microplastics in cosmetics that aren't being regulated at all and are not getting any attention from the public. Like Nylon-12 is in a lot of eyeshadows, and that is a microplastic which does not biodegrade. I was surprised to learn L'Oreal doesn't have any plastic ingredients in their cosmetics.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

It annoys me how hard it is to find affordable eyeshadow singles in a decent color range that don't contain microplastics. 

I was given swag bag with two pots of Rituel De Fille Ash and Ember Eye Soot, and I'm obsessed this slap. They take a little time to master, but they leave a beautiful effect. Rituel De Fille products are excellent. I've been experimenting with their foundation (with foundation brush) and love it.

MAC Eye Palettes + Kits are easy to build your choice of shadows. I have three palettes for work, casual day, and evening.

Ben Nye has a wide variety of pressed and crème eyeshadows that can be kitted up or come in individual packaging. Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Sealer is excellent in hot/humid weather situations or it you need to look flawless for hours. 

The eyeshadows recommended are highly-pigmented, long-lasting, with (from the colors I use) no fallout. They can be pricey, but there's no waste and the results are excellent. Sometimes you want more impact from your eyeshadow color or more control of glitter shadows; apply Kryolan Cake Eye Liner Sealer to the lid, then dampen brush with a light spritz of setting spray and press shadow into your primered and sealed lid.

Kryolan Cake Eye Liner Sealer can be used to make any eyeshadow into eyeliner. Back in the Pliocene Era my favorite eyeliner changed their color palette, and I started using sealer with eyeshadow to line my eyes instead. This article has other options -- Reddit Users Share 5 Ways to Turn Loose Pigments into Long-Wearing Eyeliner. I have used Nyx and Inglot with good results.

Brushes are important tools, so buy the best that you can afford and keep them clean. There's a continuing Instagram/YouTube brouhaha over oval makeup brushes like Artis; they're very nice, but there are less expensive options and it takes practice to use them effectively. TJMaxx, Marshall's and other discounters carry good quality makeup brushes at very reasonable prices, and Target's Sonia Kashuk brand brushes are often on sale.

Concealer: Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer is still my all-time favorite, but I also like L.A. Girl Pro HD Conceal , long-lasting and it comes in loads of colors for contouring

My ride-or-die makeup/eye primers are from Bobbi Brown. I use a damp makeup sponge (using Real Techniques at present, but Beauty Blender, Ben Nye, Joe Blasco do the job, too) to apply primer and my regular foundation.

Setting powder: RCMA Makeup No Color Powder, Laura Mercier Translucent Powder or Beauty Bakerie Flour Setting Powder for setting and veiling

Setting sprays: Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray, or e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set are good choices

To take all the slap off: Andrea Eye Q's Makeup Remover Lotion with a baby wipe (buy them by the gross at Costco), and in a pinch, Ponds cold cream with a baby wipe. I haven't had a lot of luck with micellar makeup removers, but still open to the concept.

13 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I was given swag bag with two pots of Rituel De Fille Ash and Ember Eye Soot, and I'm obsessed this slap. They take a little time to master, but they leave a beautiful effect. Rituel De Fille products are excellent. I've been experimenting with their foundation (with foundation brush) and love it.

MAC Eye Palettes + Kits are easy to build your choice of shadows. I have three palettes for work, casual day, and evening.

Ben Nye has a wide variety of pressed and crème eyeshadows that can be kitted up or come in individual packaging. Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Sealer is excellent in hot/humid weather situations or it you need to look flawless for hours. 

The eyeshadows recommended are highly-pigmented, long-lasting, with (from the colors I use) no fallout. They can be pricey, but there's no waste and the results are excellent. Sometimes you want more impact from your eyeshadow color or more control of glitter shadows; apply Kryolan Cake Eye Liner Sealer to the lid, then dampen brush with a light spritz of setting spray and press shadow into your primered and sealed lid.

Kryolan Cake Eye Liner Sealer can be used to make any eyeshadow into eyeliner. Back in the Pliocene Era my favorite eyeliner changed their color palette, and I started using sealer with eyeshadow to line my eyes instead. This article has other options -- Reddit Users Share 5 Ways to Turn Loose Pigments into Long-Wearing Eyeliner. I have used Nyx and Inglot with good results.

Brushes are important tools, so buy the best that you can afford and keep them clean. There's a continuing Instagram/YouTube brouhaha over oval makeup brushes like Artis; they're very nice, but there are less expensive options and it takes practice to use them effectively. TJMaxx, Marshall's and other discounters carry good quality makeup brushes at very reasonable prices, and Target's Sonia Kashuk brand brushes are often on sale.

Concealer: Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer is still my all-time favorite, but I also like L.A. Girl Pro HD Conceal , long-lasting and it comes in loads of colors for contouring

My ride-or-die makeup/eye primers are from Bobbi Brown. I use a damp makeup sponge (using Real Techniques at present, but Beauty Blender, Ben Nye, Joe Blasco do the job, too) to apply primer and my regular foundation.

Setting powder: RCMA Makeup No Color Powder, Laura Mercier Translucent Powder or Beauty Bakerie Flour Setting Powder for setting and veiling

Setting sprays: Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray, or e.l.f. Matte Magic Mist & Set are good choices

To take all the slap off: Andrea Eye Q's Makeup Remover Lotion with a baby wipe (buy them by the gross at Costco), and in a pinch, Ponds cold cream with a baby wipe. I haven't had a lot of luck with micellar makeup removers, but still open to the concept.

Rituel de Fille isn't really affordable for most people though. Also many of the products you mentioned contain microplastics, like MAC eyeshadows (at least they have Back to MAC). I do want to visit Credo Beauty at some point, since they have physical locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but again the products on there aren't really that affordable for most people. The only places that really have all-natural eyeshadows at drugstore prices are indie companies, but almost all of those are loose shadows and I do not have the makeup skills to use those. Plus they have to be ordered online which presents its own set of issues like not seeing how the color looks in person.

• Love 1

I'm having trouble finding good lid shades. I think beauty gurus and instagram have spoiled me, and yet I don't think my asks are unreasonable. I can't find a shimmery shade that really pops. Even when there's a high contrast between the colors I choose, it doesn't look muddy but my eye makeup usually has a faded look. I want to occasionally do something bold but all my light/shimmery lid shades either look dry or they just don't pop the way I want them to. 

I really like the way this girl does her makeup. The blending is soft but it really pops. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXoY0ZeHZBe0p-ByCiYP_XQ

16 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I'm having trouble finding good lid shades. I think beauty gurus and instagram have spoiled me, and yet I don't think my asks are unreasonable. I can't find a shimmery shade that really pops. Even when there's a high contrast between the colors I choose, it doesn't look muddy but my eye makeup usually has a faded look. I want to occasionally do something bold but all my light/shimmery lid shades either look dry or they just don't pop the way I want them to. 

I really like the way this girl does her makeup. The blending is soft but it really pops. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXoY0ZeHZBe0p-ByCiYP_XQ

Are you using an eyelid primer?  That will usually help with the muddiness/faded look and allow the actual colors to pop.

18 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Rituel de Fille isn't really affordable for most people though. Also many of the products you mentioned contain microplastics, like MAC eyeshadows (at least they have Back to MAC). I do want to visit Credo Beauty at some point, since they have physical locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but again the products on there aren't really that affordable for most people. The only places that really have all-natural eyeshadows at drugstore prices are indie companies, but almost all of those are loose shadows and I do not have the makeup skills to use those. Plus they have to be ordered online which presents its own set of issues like not seeing how the color looks in person.

As I pointed out in my post, several of these products are expensive.

My last MAC eyeshadow purchase (2 weeks ago) ingredients list was on the replacement pan boxes --

Talc: Talc is a naturally occurring mineral used here as the bulk of the powder eyeshadow. It also absorbs moisture and makes the eyeshadow opaque.

Zinc Stearate: Anticaking agent that also adds color and can be used to increase the thickness of the eyeshadow.

Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Strearate: Compound is derived from stearate, a naturally occurring fatty acid. It is a conditioning agent that slows the rate of water loss from the skin.

Isostearyl Neopentanoate: Binds the ingredients together while conditioning the skin.

Tocopheryl Acetate: This chemical is more commonly known as vitamin E. It is a skin conditioner as well as an antioxidant. Doctors warn that too much vitamin E can be harmful to your health.

Caprylyl Glycol: Another skin conditioning agent. It is also being used as a preservative in a blend with phenoxyethanol.

Hexylene Glycol: Humectant. Glycols have gotten a bad rap for their supposed toxicity; they are said to cause liver and kidney damage. This is true, however, only of concentrations at 100 percent. In eyeshadow, the concentration of hexylene glycol is very small and safe. It is there to keep the product from changing texture in extreme heat or cold.

Phenoxyethanol: Preservative. It is used in combination with caprylyl glycol.

Silica: A natural, unreactive mineral compound used as an absorbent powder in makeup.

Mica: For luster and shine.

Coloring Agents present in the replacement eyeshadow pans I purchased: titanium dioxide (Cl 77891), iron oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), bismuth oxychloride (Cl 77163), blue 1 lake (Cl 42090), carmine (Cl 75470), chromium hydroxide green (Cl 77289), chromium oxide greens (Cl 77288), ferric ferrocyanide (Cl 77510), manganese violet (Cl 77742), red 40 lake (Cl 16035), ultramarines (Cl 77007), yellow 5 lake (Cl 19140)

The MAC representative I made my purchase through gave me a handout from the Estee Lauder Mothership of MAC -- They are in the process of eliminating microbead use in all their products and subsidiaries. The rep told me their store was 80% free of all pre-microbead products and the ingredient lists are accurate on each package. I do trust the rep's information; in the 16 years I've known her she's been consistently direct about MAC and Estee Lauder products and their manufacturing process.

From what I can find out, Ben Nye, LAGirl, e.l.f and all the rest might use ground up acrylic patio glassware in their products; I don't know. Many ingredient lists are vague or non-existent; Should I presume the worst without accurate information? I've sent a few emails for more concise ingredient lists and have not heard back. Cosmetic companies are notoriously closed-mouth about what is in their products. 

Credo in LA has helpful sale people and I have tried a few of their makeup brands -- Alima, Lily Lolo, RMS and Laid Bare. Main issues were creasing, foundation breakdown, color fade, not very saturated color, and clouds of fallout. I had the makeup applied by their store artist, and I looked fine in the chair. The products didn't make it through a grocery run, trip to the fabric store, return home and car unload (3-1/2 hours) -- flaking, creasing, shine where matte had been, color fade -- Not impressed. I was given a sample of Alima eyeshadow that I used with Kryolan Sealer, and it stayed on. 

I buy makeup I can apply and then not futz with. And I'm willing to pay for a product not breaking down on my face before I'm ready to remove it. One-and-done products that get me through my day with no/little touchup make a difference.

The main problem for your request is that small independent super-green makeup products are expensive -- small batch green products competing against not-all-that-green mass produced brands means you're still going to pay a premium price. They have to have similar qualities (color saturation, color choice, workability and utility, availability and distribution, marketing) in order to draw and hold consumers in a competitive cosmetic market. Being clean and green alone is not enough when the makeup doesn't make it past 4 hours and you're paying a premium price for a green seal.

If you find drug-store priced green makeup singles that last through a work day, that has a wide variety of saturated colors to chose from that blend and veil, is available to all skin-types and skin colors. let me know. I'll beat a path to their door.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

My last MAC eyeshadow purchase (2 weeks ago) ingredients list was on the replacement pan boxes --

From what I can find out, Ben Nye, LAGirl, e.l.f and all the rest might use ground up acrylic patio glassware in their products; I don't know. Many ingredient lists are vague or non-existent; Should I presume the worst without accurate information? I've sent a few emails for more concise ingredient lists and have not heard back. Cosmetic companies are notoriously closed-mouth about what is in their products. 

Credo in LA has helpful sale people and I have tried a few of their makeup brands -- Alima, Lily Lolo, RMS and Laid Bare. Main issues were creasing, foundation breakdown, color fade, not very saturated color, and clouds of fallout. I had the makeup applied by their store artist, and I looked fine in the chair. The products didn't make it through a grocery run, trip to the fabric store, return home and car unload (3-1/2 hours) -- flaking, creasing, shine where matte had been, color fade -- Not impressed. I was given a sample of Alima eyeshadow that I used with Kryolan Sealer, and it stayed on. 

I buy makeup I can apply and then not futz with. And I'm willing to pay for a product not breaking down on my face before I'm ready to remove it. One-and-done products that get me through my day with no/little touchup make a difference.

The main problem for your request is that small independent super-green makeup products are expensive -- small batch green products competing against not-all-that-green mass produced brands means you're still going to pay a premium price. They have to have similar qualities (color saturation, color choice, workability and utility, availability and distribution, marketing) in order to draw and hold consumers in a competitive cosmetic market. Being clean and green alone is not enough when the makeup doesn't make it past 4 hours and you're paying a premium price for a green seal.

If you find drug-store priced green makeup singles that last through a work day, that has a wide variety of saturated colors to chose from that blend and veil, is available to all skin-types and skin colors. let me know. I'll beat a path to their door.

According to this, MAC eyeshadow singles contain Nylon-12: https://www.ulta.com/eyeshadow?productId=xlsImpprod15921122 Unless they're in the process of phasing it out, which it sounds like maybe they are.

Personally I wouldn't buy any cosmetics without an ingredient list. For one thing, how would you know whether it contains something that could cause an irritation or breakout?

The best natural foundation I have found so far is Lucy Minerals loose foundation. It's also one of the highest rated foundations on MakeupAlley so other people must like it too. It's more expensive than drugstore but not too much more expensive. The downside is it's a loose powder and has to be ordered online. I was using Cover FX powder foundation for a while but unfortunately once I started wearing makeup daily, I discovered it broke me out. I don't mind paying more for foundation or concealer but I don't really want to pay $15-$20 for a single eyeshadow.

For now though I haven't been wearing very much makeup lately. All I wear currently is Australian Gold tinted sunscreen (which is the best base product I have ever used, and it doesn't even market itself as a makeup product) and Burt's Bees tinted lip balm. I will probably re-order the Lucy Minerals foundation at some point. Technically eyeshadow is not a "necessary" part of makeup if the main purpose of makeup is to cover up flaws, but it would be nice to have an eyeshadow option.

EDIT: Also in terms of palettes, one semi-affordable palette without microplastics is the Tartelette Tease palette. It's 6 shades for $19 so a little over $3/shade. Of course then there's the question of whether one would actually use all 6 shades. I have considered getting this palette even though I would prefer singles or a smaller sized palette since it's the best option I can find currently.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

According to this, MAC eyeshadow singles contain Nylon-12: https://www.ulta.com/eyeshadow?productId=xlsImpprod15921122 Unless they're in the process of phasing it out, which it sounds like maybe they are.

The MAC products that Ulta are selling may very well contain Nylon-12. It takes time for brands to cycle out older formulas for new, as my MAC rep explained to me. I typed out what was on my replacement pan packaging, and they were purchased directly from a MAC store.

I've prefer to buy my makeup in person at Sephora or brand stores, so I can check the packaging and dates. And I like to see what's new and chat with the associates.

Personally I wouldn't buy any cosmetics without an ingredient list. For one thing, how would you know whether it contains something that could cause an irritation or breakout?

I read what is on the packaging, and go from there, but I keep to what works for me. I used to have a LAGirl ingredient list, but their online list seemed incomplete to me. It's been awhile since I've purchased Ben Nye, and don't have the packaging to refer to the ingredients. My point was that many brands protect their product secrets with diffuse ingredient listings, and the FDA has no intention of challenging the status quo with cosmetics companies in order to assist consumers.

The best natural foundation I have found so far is Lucy Minerals loose foundation. It's also one of the highest rated foundations on MakeupAlley so other people must like it too. It's more expensive than drugstore but not too much more expensive. The downside is it's a loose powder and has to be ordered online. I was using Cover FX powder foundation for a while but unfortunately once I started wearing makeup daily, I discovered it broke me out. I don't mind paying more for foundation or concealer but I don't really want to pay $15-$20 for a single eyeshadow.

Even with Smashbox spackle primer, the Laura Mercier mineral foundation and setting powder settled into my pores and lines, and ended with flaking and fallout -- Looking rough. I've tried other mineral brands with less fallout, but not great coverage.

I'm not happy with the cost either. When I saw how much the Rituel De Fille Ash and Ember Eye Soot was, I gulped, but it's proven to be a fun product to use, with attractive results. I took the plunge trying a sample of their foundation; it was easy to use with a flawless finish. Rats! Rituel De Fille is going to be a hard habit to break.

If I could get the same results with cheaper, greener products, I'd be all for it. I don't skip merrily along to the Bobbi Brown counter and hand over my money, but the primer it's an ironclad no fail product for me, and I still read the label. The associates know me, hand over a load of freebies and samples with purchase, and I pass it on to a women's shelter that I support. 

For now though I haven't been wearing very much makeup lately. All I wear currently is Australian Gold tinted sunscreen (which is the best base product I have ever used, and it doesn't even market itself as a makeup product) and Burt's Bees tinted lip balm. I will probably re-order the Lucy Minerals foundation at some point. Technically eyeshadow is not a "necessary" part of makeup if the main purpose of makeup is to cover up flaws, but it would be nice to have an eyeshadow option.

EDIT: Also in terms of palettes, one semi-affordable palette without microplastics is the Tartelette Tease palette. It's 6 shades for $19 so a little over $3/shade. Of course then there's the question of whether one would actually use all 6 shades. I have considered getting this palette even though I would prefer singles or a smaller sized palette since it's the best option I can find currently.

You're fortunate to be able to keep your makeup regimen so that it works for you with product that fulfill your needs. I haven't used Tarte products in several years, but I'll look at the palette.

I'm not a fan of the ballooning palette marketing trend. It pushes the price point up with the packaging adding to the waste stream, with the additional colors the user might not use.

7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I always use Urban Decay primer potion. It's just that the shadows I have aren't giving me that bright pop of color that I want. 

Keep in mind that YouTube makeup videos are filmed with glamour lighting, editing and the people practice constantly to perfect their technique to use the products for their videos. 

Without knowing what eyeshadow and tools you're using, it's difficult to say what is or isn't happening for the look you're after.

Denitslava uses a heavy matte primer and layered matte high-contrast concealer at the brow and under the eyes, which creates a very flat work area with lots of texture (tooth) for the eyeshadow to adhere. She uses color saturated eyeshadows and pigments, blending, defusing and building up the color intensity on her lids, then highlights with a high-contrast color and glitter/shiny inner eyes. I didn't see if she dampens her brush with fix spray to pickup the pigments so they don't fly all over the place when she applies them.

She's likes a broad contrast with her shadow demos with the sponsored products; pale matte eye area, very intense saturated colors that jump out at you brushed nearly to the dramatically drawn eyebrows, with highlights and flat concealer area around the eye. She uses a light hand on flat foundation, contouring and highlights to not distract from her eyes and lips.

It's a lot of look for the evening.

The videos I've watched of Denitslava she was having the time of her life. More power to her.

• Love 1

Without knowing what eyeshadow and tools you're using, it's difficult to say what is or isn't happening for the look you're after.

I think one problem is that I use too many shimmers so using a shimmer on the lid and also towards the crease (more like the outer half, not actually in the crease) ends up looking too soft and similar so there's not enough contrast. I kind of get the effect I want with glittery-heavy shadows but they tend to really crease up and they look heavy so I avoid them. I thought about liquids but I think I'd run into the same problem. The people who love the Stila liquid glitter really love it but I don't get it. 

I have all kinds of palettes and shadows, MAC, Tarte, Urban Decay, Covergirl, Juvia's Place, BH Cosmetics, etc. I find MAC just looks too soft and subtle. I need to play around with Juvia's Place more. The mattes are fine but my one experiment with shimmers/glitters was a mess. Aside from Juvia's Place (because it was cheap and I placed a big order), I have the most Tarte and Urban Decay palettes because they have good sales and hit that sweet spot in terms of price. 

Maybe I should look into pigments. Or just stick to matte shadows. I don't know. Shimmers have proven to be disappointing for me. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I think one problem is that I use too many shimmers so using a shimmer on the lid and also towards the crease (more like the outer half, not actually in the crease) ends up looking too soft and similar so there's not enough contrast. I kind of get the effect I want with glittery-heavy shadows but they tend to really crease up and they look heavy so I avoid them. I thought about liquids but I think I'd run into the same problem. The people who love the Stila liquid glitter really love it but I don't get it. 

I have all kinds of palettes and shadows, MAC, Tarte, Urban Decay, Covergirl, Juvia's Place, BH Cosmetics, etc. I find MAC just looks too soft and subtle. I need to play around with Juvia's Place more. The mattes are fine but my one experiment with shimmers/glitters was a mess. Aside from Juvia's Place (because it was cheap and I placed a big order), I have the most Tarte and Urban Decay palettes because they have good sales and hit that sweet spot in terms of price. 

Maybe I should look into pigments. Or just stick to matte shadows. I don't know. Shimmers have proven to be disappointing for me. 

That you're getting creasing with Urban Decay eye primer needs to be addressed first before you give up the glitz.

Once you've washed your face  and ready to start, don't apply facial oil or moisturizer to your eyelids. The primer can't adhere to the clean eyelid with the added moisturizer. If you use an eye cream, use the cream before you go to bed, and make sure to wash it off in the morning so you start with a clean eyelid. 

Don't put concealer or foundation on your eyelids, or use them as a primer. Both products contain oils that cause your eye makeup to move around on your eye, which is what you're trying to avoid. 

Look for long-wearing properties when shopping for eye makeup. If you want a budge-proof effect, the makeup needs some recommendation of "long-lasting, water-resistance, waterproofing" properties, and chances are it won't transfer, lift, or crease. Those properties can appear arbitrary, and that's where sampling, user comments, ingredient lists and trial and error work for you.

Use an oil-free eye primer for 24-hour color lockdown. As with all primers, allow the primer to set, then pat (I use a barely damp makeup sponge) a translucent setting powder on the primered area before applying your makeup.

A trick a movie makeup artist showed me: After applying your eyeliner over your lash line, take a gel liner that matches your eye shadow and apply it in a small area where you'll be applying your shadow. Blend with brush and allow to set, Next, pat your eye shadow of choice over the gel liner. Patting your shadow over the gel liner will give you a long-lasting effect. Then apply a nude shade with a fluffy brush to the outer corners; this will soften the shadow edges. I've used Morphe Gel Liner, and Inglot AMC Eyeliner Gel.

If you do all of these tricks and your eye makeup still creases, blend the creased shadow with a clean finger (the oil will help the color to blend), then blot any excess oil away with blotting paper. The sheet will absorb the oil but won't lift the color.

The next thing is to consider is to try a different eye primer. I used Smashbox primers for years, and then they didn't work any longer. I found out later the product hadn't changed, but my body chemistry was on the blink and was the first symptom of a mass growing on my pituitary gland that has been removed. A woman's chemistry changes, and Urban Decay primer might not work for you any longer.

My main issue with makeup guru/influencers is that you see the easy breezy application and dramatic final result -- It's all very beautiful, but you don't see what it looks like after a day of out and about and living your life. Everyone looks fabulous under the glamour lighting, but where the rubber meets the road is what their creation looks like after 4-6 hours of humidity/heat/waiting for your number to be called at the DMV/pushing a shopping cart around Target. You don't see a lot of that from the gurus.

• Love 4

My main issue with makeup guru/influencers is that you see the easy breezy application and dramatic final result -- It's all very beautiful, but you don't see what it looks like after a day of out and about and living your life. Everyone looks fabulous under the glamour lighting, but where the rubber meets the road is what their creation looks like after 4-6 hours of humidity/heat/waiting for your number to be called at the DMV/pushing a shopping cart around Target. You don't see a lot of that from the gurus.

It's that beauty guru perfect makeup I can't manage. I can do very light makeup (though as soon as I add lipstick, I tend to look like a doll) and I can do very glam makeup. I can't do that in between where I use three or more shadows but still look like a normal person. If I try to go subtle it ends up looking muddy and I wonder why I put in all that effort when I could have just patted a single shadow on my lids.

Thanks for all the tips. I don't put moisturizer or concealer on my lids but I'll try to be extra careful to avoid getting them close. Sometimes I'm sloppy. I might also set with a translucent powder. I'm kind of tied to UD primer, at least for the time being, because I bought so many backups (it was my extra item for free shipping for a long time). 

I think creasing is a bit misleading. The only things that crease horribly on me are really metallic shadows like HUDA beauty and cream shadows. But my eyes are like monolids but with a lot of folds near the lash line. So I need particular formula to not have the shadow look too dry. Again, mattes look fine on me. I don't mind KIKO if I want more of greasy look. But so far I haven't found a light shimmer that I like. I'm going to play with my Juvia's Place and BH cosmetics palettes more since those are my newest ones and I haven't tried all the shades yet besides swatching them on my arm.

3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

It's that beauty guru perfect makeup I can't manage. I can do very light makeup (though as soon as I add lipstick, I tend to look like a doll) and I can do very glam makeup. I can't do that in between where I use three or more shadows but still look like a normal person. If I try to go subtle it ends up looking muddy and I wonder why I put in all that effort when I could have just patted a single shadow on my lids.

Aradia, no one looks that good all the time without a village following behind with gloss and blotting paper and powder and roller makeup kits to make repairs.

Eyeshadow is hard is hard to do, and your efforts probably looked much better than you realized. Don't be so hard on yourself. 

Thanks for all the tips. I don't put moisturizer or concealer on my lids but I'll try to be extra careful to avoid getting them close. Sometimes I'm sloppy. I might also set with a translucent powder. I'm kind of tied to UD primer, at least for the time being, because I bought so many backups (it was my extra item for free shipping for a long time). 

I hope it helps. If you have a Sephora/Ulta close by, ask about samples or travel size eye primers. The travel sizes are pretty reasonable in price. I've been given free product samples to try when purchasing other product. It can't hurt to ask.

I think creasing is a bit misleading. The only things that crease horribly on me are really metallic shadows like HUDA beauty and cream shadows. But my eyes are like monolids but with a lot of folds near the lash line. So I need particular formula to not have the shadow look too dry. Again, mattes look fine on me. I don't mind KIKO if I want more of greasy look. But so far I haven't found a light shimmer that I like. I'm going to play with my Juvia's Place and BH cosmetics palettes more since those are my newest ones and I haven't tried all the shades yet besides swatching them on my arm.

I often watch Wayne Goss videos. He's a professional makeup artist and has evolved his techniques as products and styles change. He's honest, funny and realistic about the business of makeup. The video below may not entirely help with your particular shape of eyelid, but this technique worked well with my sister's hooded eyes. Wayne has several videos for eyeshadow application on hooded eyes. Search on YouTube "Wayne Goss eyeshadow for hooded eyes" and you will be rewarded.

Have fun!

@Cupid Stunt I used to watch Wayne but his videos got a bit boring so I unsubscribed a couple years ago.

I set my UD primer with Laura Mercier powder before I started in on the eyeshadows tonight. I used something by Bobbi Brown as my transition and a dark bronze UD shadow in the crease. I used the lighter shade from a very old (don't judge me) L'Oreal Electrified duo on the lid. The L'Oreal shadow is one of the blingiest shadows I own which is why I haven't tossed it yet. I thought about wetting the brush with MAC fix plus but I just applied it with a dry brush and it built up fine. Obviously it settled around the folds of my eyelids (no shadow is going to make them disappear) but it seemed to wear pretty well. I think the crease shade got a tiny bit patchy towards the end of the night with the sweat and humidity. It was a little dramatic but otherwise a pretty good makeup night. I realized though, wearing a more dramatic look that lighting really makes a difference. Sometimes it looked so dramatic and high contrast. And then I would take a photo and it would look softer. 

Now if I could only find a good concealer.

• Love 1

It sound's like those subtle changes helped. Keep practicing, aradia.

Concealers I like and have used in the last 6 months -- These are all buildable without looking caked on:

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer -- Took this on vacation and it stood up to the humidity and looked flawless *

L.A. Girl Pro Conceal HD Concealer -- great texture, easy application, lots of colors that work well as a contour, too *

Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer -- My daily driver, expensive

Milk Makeup Flex Concealer -- Sample, applied easily and looked great for 10 hours

Smashbox Studio Skin 24-Hour Wear Waterproof Concealer -- This used to be my daily driver and still love Smashbox products

NYX Cosmetics HD Photogenic Concealer Wand -- Flawless and long-lasting *

* denotes 6 dollars or less

I know people swear by Maybelline Instant Age Rewind (one of my fav youtubers, Tati, loves it) but it doesn't work for me. I use their highlighting lumi pen or whatever it's called when I don't need to look perfect (no photos) or it's a very casual day because it's easy to just have it in my bag. It offers almost no coverage though. I think the Fit Me one is supposed to be like NARS but it looked dry and too yellow/orange on me. 

LA Girl also didn't work out for me. I forget why. 

My main concealer right now is Too Faced Born This Way. It's not the best in the world but with my regular routine (sponge, baking with setting powder) it works the best and offers enough cover in one layer. I find that if I try to build up coverage with a different concealer and bake I end up getting a chunky/patchy effect. My old go to was Shiseido but they discontinued it. I still have some IT cosmetics concealer I need to go through but that was annoying because I had to blend shades and it was too expensive. Creams are supposed to be more hydrating but I'd rather have a liquid and just set it than dry to get a dewy effect that doesn't crease on me or slip and slide. 

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, aradia. I took a poll of regular makeup wearers in my acquaintance.

My sister uses Charlotte Tilbury Magic Away Liquid Concealer and sets it with the Genius Magic Powder. Both products are expensive, and she swears by it. There are 16 shades. 

My PA uses Laura Mercier Concealer Ultra LongWear -- Creamy, has a luminous finish under setting powder (Laura Mercier), 12 shades, It looks great after a full work day.

BFF loves NARS Radiant Concealer -- has used it over 3 years. Creamy, easy blending, long-lasting, 22 shades.

Our receptionist uses Bobbi Brown Serum Corrector -- Ride or Die, Cold Dead Hands, you know the rest, 21 shades.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2018 at 10:39 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

My point was that many brands protect their product secrets with diffuse ingredient listings, and the FDA has no intention of challenging the status quo with cosmetics companies in order to assist consumers.

Even with Smashbox spackle primer, the Laura Mercier mineral foundation and setting powder settled into my pores and lines, and ended with flaking and fallout -- Looking rough. I've tried other mineral brands with less fallout, but not great coverage.

If I could get the same results with cheaper, greener products, I'd be all for it. I don't skip merrily along to the Bobbi Brown counter and hand over my money, but the primer it's an ironclad no fail product for me, and I still read the label. The associates know me, hand over a load of freebies and samples with purchase, and I pass it on to a women's shelter that I support. 

You're fortunate to be able to keep your makeup regimen so that it works for you with product that fulfill your needs. I haven't used Tarte products in several years, but I'll look at the palette.

I'm not a fan of the ballooning palette marketing trend. It pushes the price point up with the packaging adding to the waste stream, with the additional colors the user might not use.

It sucks that companies are allowed to lie about their ingredients. Maybe unpopular opinion but I think if straight men wore makeup the government would give more of a fuck about what was in it.

Well not every product type works for everyone. I don't like wearing any type of foundation besides powder because I don't like the feel of liquid and cream foundations on my face (plus no concealer I've tried has ever stayed on my face for more than an hour, so I doubt they would fare much better) and I feel like they're more likely to break me out, so powder foundation is what I would be wearing either way.

Honestly I tried all kinds of makeup over the years, both natural and not, and I didn't notice much of a difference in performance. But I'm also not trying to have what is essentially stage makeup like a lot of "beauty gurus" and makeup enthusiasts. It doesn't have to last for 24 hours, in the pouring rain, etc. I'm not trying to create a whole different face on top of my face through contouring, drawing in new brows, etc. My goal is to provide enough coverage to cover up acne, hyperpigmentation, and unevenness, and maybe to add a bit of sparkle if I feel like it.

I agree about the palette trend but unfortunately the "more is more" mentality persists.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:22 AM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

It sucks that companies are allowed to lie about their ingredients. Maybe unpopular opinion but I think if straight men wore makeup the government would give more of a fuck about what was in it.

Companies (and their powerful manufacturers lobby and organizations) carefully follow the law they have crafted through their efforts by the FDA and the legislative process. Many cosmetic brands skirt the law by alluding to the health-related benefits of their products (making false claims which is against the law), but few are ever sanctioned or fined.

But on the other side are the small independent companies developing cosmetics with safe, clean ingredients that go beyond the FDA guidelines. They want more and so do their customers, and there's a wide-open market for those products.

As with so many products and services, if men were affected or needed them the law would be shored up for safety, availability, utility and correct usage … But we don't live in that world and have to follow our best instincts and the available research to make product choices.

As Judge Judy says, “If it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true.”

Well not every product type works for everyone. I don't like wearing any type of foundation besides powder because I don't like the feel of liquid and cream foundations on my face (plus no concealer I've tried has ever stayed on my face for more than an hour, so I doubt they would fare much better) and I feel like they're more likely to break me out, so powder foundation is what I would be wearing either way.

And that's why there are so many formulations and brands. Not all skin types and lifestyles work well with all cosmetic brands. A lot of products are manufactured to work exclusively with brand related products (MAC primer and concealer, with MAC eyeshadows), and that's where mixing brands occasionally fail consumers. 

For instance my Ride or Die primers are by Bobbi Brown, but I don't care for the finish of the foundations and concealers -- Too drying, amplifying the pores and wrinkles-- and I moved on.

Honestly I tried all kinds of makeup over the years, both natural and not, and I didn't notice much of a difference in performance. But I'm also not trying to have what is essentially stage makeup like a lot of "beauty gurus" and makeup enthusiasts. It doesn't have to last for 24 hours, in the pouring rain, etc. I'm not trying to create a whole different face on top of my face through contouring, drawing in new brows, etc. My goal is to provide enough coverage to cover up acne, hyperpigmentation, and unevenness, and maybe to add a bit of sparkle if I feel like it.

Me too. It's been a fun journey.

Social media is a marketers dreamscape for cosmetics companies. Influencers and YouTube stars tout and demonstrate the newest, latest and greatest cosmetic doohickey, and their fans storm the doors and online carts to purchase. One of the many problems with influencers is the money that influences their accolades for various products; until recently, many gurus didn't make clear their reviews were paid for by the brands. The grey areas still exist, because attention moves on to other subject matter and product previews, but the pay-for-play problem persists. If an influencer isn't up front with remuneration from the products used, that's not the only thing their not being honest about.

I just want my makeup to last through a work day/party and not look like a Hummel figurine wearing it. I don't expect makeup to survive extreme conditions (The 24 hour moniker needs rigorous testing in real-life conditions if it is to be a legitimate claim), but somewhere in the 11 hour range and not flaking off my face on the ride home. 

I agree about the palette trend but unfortunately the "more is more" mentality persists.

It's generating huge money and no one is going to turn off that spigot any time soon.

I was recently given a high-end highlighter palette as a freebie with purchase. The colors are beautiful, but only two of the seven I would consider using as an evening highlighter. The other five were more on the evening eyeshadow spectrum. The formula is very creamy, deeply pigmented and easily blendable for a powder palette, but I'm not into the rigid contouring/blinding highlighter marketing trend for the day. The few people I've seen made up so stringently during the day look like full-on Monet's, as Cher described, from the movie Clueless -- Cher: It's like a painting, see? From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess. Too many influencers are taking their lead from drag queen makeup techniques. What works for men's theatrical makeup isn't doing women any favors by highlighting masculine facial features. 

I gave the palette to my daughter, and she was thrilled.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3

I started watching some YT videos, just looking for a good eyebrow product.  I took a little too much off of one brow, which actually is hidden by eyeglasses, but it bugged me.

Anyhow, I was like wow, I should step up my makeup game, and try some new products.  I think I'm going to try an UD palette (a Nudes palette that is on sale now at Ulta).  Nudes are pretty much what I wear.  Anything with too much glitter shows of the lines, yeah I'm an older woman (sigh).  I'm also going to get the UD eyeshadow primer.

I did try a trick a few months back re: primer that someone mentioned in the comments in a YT video.  The person used the Maybelline 24 hour Color Tattoo eyeshadow (lightest shade they offer) as a base.  I got it along with a darker color, figuring I could use it in the crease of the eye.  Multiple nurses or folks that worked long shifts said it really did last.  It worked ok, I won't say that no shadow disappeared, but for under $5 each, not bad.  Not bad shades on their own.

I have been using an IT Cosmetics palette, Naturally Pretty, for a few months now.  Not a huge palette, maybe 6 to 8 shades, all neutral colors.  I was thinking a soft lavender, green, or even a gray blue shade would be nice as an alternative.  I saw the new UD Naked Cherry, and while the colors are pretty, I know I wouldn't wear them.  I haven't seen anything in those colors, just wild, bold colors, or nudes.  

There is someone on YT who has 1200 palettes.  I was like how do they afford that, then I saw one person unpacking stuff, and they got products sent to them to review.  Now, the same person also bought a lot of products, too.  

• Love 1

@hoosier80 was it Tarababyz? She has those 4 of those giant tool storage cabinets full of palettes, owns a few thousand lipsticks, tons of skincare and expensive perfume. She also owns every product Too Faced and Kat Von D ever made. Deanna Borocz and Total Makeup Junkie101 also are known for their big collections. 

If you like neutrals a gray or blue shade is pretty. One thing I like to do is use a liner brush and uses either as a liner softly and it enhances eye color and can make a smoky effect that's super subtle. 

• Love 1
On 10/24/2018 at 11:31 PM, hoosier80 said:

There is someone on YT who has 1200 palettes.  I was like how do they afford that, then I saw one person unpacking stuff, and they got products sent to them to review.  Now, the same person also bought a lot of products, too.  

Whenever I see one of those massive makeup collections/declutters, I think of how they will provide a valuable historical document for future generations of history classes about the massive Versailles-esque wasteful excesses of our time.

• Love 7

I agree they would give more of a fuck but I don't know if it would lead to radical changes. This is one of those moments in history when corporate interests trump consumer interests. It still took forever to get laws passed about food and prescription drugs and various other products in the past and that business is still messy (though probably not as bad as the lead and tar and crushed beetles and God only knows what else is in makeup products).

• Love 3
On 11/4/2018 at 1:50 AM, aradia22 said:

I agree they would give more of a fuck but I don't know if it would lead to radical changes. This is one of those moments in history when corporate interests trump consumer interests. It still took forever to get laws passed about food and prescription drugs and various other products in the past and that business is still messy (though probably not as bad as the lead and tar and crushed beetles and God only knows what else is in makeup products).

If by "one of those moments in history" you mean all of modern history, then yes.

BTW I actually found an ELF palette today without microplastics in it (the Nude Rose Gold palette). Most of their makeup has Nylon-12 so I was surprised to find it. I wonder if they're phasing Nylon-12 out. On the palette vs singles discussion I didn't really need 10 shades but it was the best option I could find. Covergirl also has quads and trios without microplastics but I couldn't find the colors I wanted. Both the ELF and Covergirl still have artificial dyes but it's really hard to find makeup without those. The ELF palette only had one artificial dye (Red #40) and it was the last ingredient, so I decided it's probably better to compromise on it rather than have something shipped from online or drive to a store that is further away. EDIT: I checked on their website and I think they are phasing Nylon-12 out, because I remember almost all of their palettes had it when I checked a few months ago, but now none of the ones I checked do.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

I got two ELF palettes for Christmas: Nude Rose Gold and Nude Mood, the later still still contains Nylon-12. But no Carmine and that's my purchase deciding factor. It's really difficult to get red and purple tones without Carmine - even organic brands occasionally use them although they claim to be vegan (apparently bugs are not animals *shrugs*). I haven't used much eye-shadow in recent years and wanted to experiment with different shades. Both palettes serve that purpose really well at a reasonable price (and I although found one shade that works perfectly for my eyebrows).

On 1/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

There was an earlier discussion on microplastics in cosmetics -- This article discusses microplastics in our clothing that slough off in the laundry.

More than ever, our clothes are made of plastic. Just washing them can pollute the oceans.

It's so hard to phase out with clothing too. Like try finding a pair of socks or underwear or leggings* or a bathing suit that doesn't have synthetic content. Even work pants and blazers are almost impossible to find without any polyester unless you're really rich. I phased out my wardrobe to mostly cotton, linen, and hemp, but it made finding clothes 10x harder. At least with cosmetics there are options, although the industry should ban it entirely. It's not even necessary to make the cosmetics do the job of depositing color and staying on...the entire function is to make them feel more buttery. *Yes you could just wear jeans or linen pants or something but I feel horribly uncomfortable in any pants that are baggy and/or stiff so jeans aren't an option. I may consider linen pants for summer if I can find them somewhere.

Anyway on topic, I have been using the Elf Nude Rose Gold palette which I mentioned before. It's pretty decent for a non-expert who just wants to play around with colors. The mattes aren't that great but the shimmers are much better. I'm basically using this palette to figure out how to use different color combinations and then once it gets old I will probably order a few eyeshadow singles from an indie brand and have a better idea of what to order.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

I've been playing around with my makeup, planning out new looks and what I've realized is that to recreate some of the looks I want to achieve, I really need more glittery eyeshadows. Now I prefer regular eyeshadows or at least pressed pigments but I will consider a loose powder if it looks really great. But I want something glittery and sparkly, not something that blends out into a soft satin or shimmer. I want sparkle. I prefer lighter colors instead of bronze-y or dark ones because I'm fairly pale right now. 

In the meantime, I'm excited to start playing with color now that it's spring. I have palettes I haven't touched since last summer. 

On 4/7/2019 at 11:32 PM, aradia22 said:

I've been playing around with my makeup, planning out new looks and what I've realized is that to recreate some of the looks I want to achieve, I really need more glittery eyeshadows. Now I prefer regular eyeshadows or at least pressed pigments but I will consider a loose powder if it looks really great. But I want something glittery and sparkly, not something that blends out into a soft satin or shimmer. I want sparkle. I prefer lighter colors instead of bronze-y or dark ones because I'm fairly pale right now. 

In the meantime, I'm excited to start playing with color now that it's spring. I have palettes I haven't touched since last summer. 

For light glitter lid shades try stila liquid glitter and go or Huda eyeshadows. Lately, Too Faced has stepped their shit up in the eyeshadow stakes (and is cruelty free) and their foiled shadows are blindinggg. One tip I have for you is if you do a shade on the lid do something different on your crease that maybe unexpected. Like do a sparkly champagne on the lid but dull matte brown or cool toned gray buffed on the edge and crease and then it will POP. 

• Love 1

Also @aradia22 wet n wild has liquid catsuit eyeshadow in some glitter shades that look pretty dazzling and they’re less than $5 a pop and cruelty free. If you are trying to experiment or find a shade one of those can’t hurt. I’m eyeing their AB pale golden one. They also have a glitter medium cool toned blue glitter one that would look awesome as a liner or cat winged out effect. 

• Love 1
On 10/3/2016 at 7:00 AM, MargeGunderson said:

I like palettes because I'm terrible putting colors together. With a palette (especially those that come with instructions - thanks Tarte!) I play around a little more.

YES! I'm not bad with makeup, but I can get lazy with picking out colors that go well together. I love the little palettes with instructions. Too Faced and Dior also make some. With colors I go through a lot (like the light colors that are used on top of primer), I will buy the single pots. 

• Love 2

I don't know what I'm going to do when cat eyes and Instagram makeup go out of fashion. "Natural" makeup just makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing. With a monolid, just trying to line my upper lash line simply makes me look like a lunatic. But I've become an expert at doing a wing.