Type keyword(s) to search

Jack: Milo Ventimiglia

photo fox
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, debraran said:

Does anyone know or have read why the writers wrote Jack off so quickly? So much more could have been done or he could have had a bad accident, coma, anything. Milo wants to return and he alluded to the 2 year contract but maybe that is for flashbacks, he obviously died. Just happened so quickly to a pivotal character.

William's character was told he'd be back in flashback for season 2.

I don't think they wrote him off quickly at all.  Jack has, after all, been dead for the entire series and only appearing in flashbacks. And we still don't know how he died (which wouldn't be a big deal, except Fogelman keeps trying to tease the audience with it).

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I don't think they wrote him off quickly at all.  Jack has, after all, been dead for the entire series and only appearing in flashbacks. And we still don't know how he died (which wouldn't be a big deal, except Fogelman keeps trying to tease the audience with it).

I guess you're right, I wasnt thinking about it being all flashbacks. I wondered why they started with that and didn't leave it for season 2. Maybe it was to explain how they were they way they were. I think some fans will be disappointed no matter how he dies, car, fire,accident, they are playing on the fact he has a lot of fan support and that builds ratings.  I suppose an old Jack and Rebecca wouldn't carry the same interest for some as the younger and they will concentrate on the 3 kids.

Milo was vague when he said he was excited about the 3 year contract, it wasn't the money, but working with everyone. I can't see flashbacks for that long but will wait and see.

Edited by debraran
4 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

They can't keep doing flashbacks indefinitely, especially when they have to deal with the actors playing the younger versions of the Big Three growing older.  At some point they will just have to stop with the flashbacks

Well the kids are babies, 8-10 year olds, and teens. So we haven't seen any flashbacks from them at say 3-5 years old. That can be newly cast kids in the season where the others have visibly aged. Also, the 8-10 year old Big Three can play 12 year olds in 2 years. The current teens could play their same age for 4 years, they are mostly done growing. There is more to work with than nothing. We may start to see a lot of toddler year flashbacks in season 5. Or just Jack, Rebecca and Miguel flashbacks in season 6. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I agree that this is a mistake, especially in William's case.  Probably in Jack's as well, although I could see how they could at least effectively keep him around longer.

Unfortunately for the show, I think the format with so much depending on flashbacks, has limited the shelf-life.  They can't keep doing flashbacks indefinitely, especially when they have to deal with the actors playing the younger versions of the Big Three growing older.

You obviously haven't been watching Supernatural, as they've re-cast Teen Dean and Kid Sam.

I think the flashbacks are basically built as a core part of the show. I feel like the intent of this show is supposed to be about a family at various points in their lives- and said points are always happening. Like 1996 is still there, even though for the 2017 set, it's gone. 1972 Jack is just as alive as 1995/1996 Jack. 1990 Kate is nursing her aches as is 2017 Kate. Everything's present and happening.

Does anyone know or have read why the writers wrote Jack off so quickly? So much more could have been done or he could have had a bad accident, coma, anything.

This show was built around the idea of a family that was once very close, and lost the glue that held them together. Jack was the glue. Now the present-family is trying to work their way back to each other. (At least, that's the intent of the show, even though it seems like the writers mostly want to do romantic comedy rip-offs.)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, BoogieBurns said:

Well the kids are babies, 8-10 year olds, and teens. So we haven't seen any flashbacks from them at say 3-5 years old. That can be newly cast kids in the season where the others have visibly aged. Also, the 8-10 year old Big Three can play 12 year olds in 2 years. The current teens could play their same age for 4 years, they are mostly done growing. There is more to work with than nothing. We may start to see a lot of toddler year flashbacks in season 5. Or just Jack, Rebecca and Miguel flashbacks in season 6. 

Taking this to the Unpopular Opinions thread (which probably isn't quite the right place for it, but oh well...)

6 hours ago, debraran said:

Milo was vague when he said he was excited about the 3 year contract, it wasn't the money, but working with everyone. I can't see flashbacks for that long but will wait and see.

Which is funny because he doesn't really get to work with anyone except Mandy and the child actors, outside the rare dream or drug hallucination. 

4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Which is funny because he doesn't really get to work with anyone except Mandy and the child actors, outside the rare dream or drug hallucination. 

True, but they were talking about the great cast and crew and how everyone gets along. I think he is there even if not in a scene and just likes being with them.  Randall's wife, Susan Watson, called him "papa bear" he is the dad for everyone. You don't know something, ask Milo, need help with something, ask Milo, sad, happy, he's there. Kind of nice to hear that and see everyone nodding. Much nicer than a set with a bunch of prima donnas.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

This show was built around the idea of a family that was once very close, and lost the glue that held them together. Jack was the glue. Now the present-family is trying to work their way back to each other. (At least, that's the intent of the show, even though it seems like the writers mostly want to do romantic comedy rip-offs.)

T

The writers in an "extra" interview after cable selections ended, said they had more dark episodes planned for next season but decided to lighten it up a bit, it was overkill this season with sadness. They want a little more comedy and less drama but there still will be some tears for sure.

Mandy mentioned they hadn't done too many flashbacks with the kids, she loved the birthday party scene and the pool, the Thanksgiving show, but some were very quick scenes. She really doesn't know a lot but hopes to have more with showing how they became what they are. Great child actors on the show, especially "Kate's" younger version. They nailed it with the teen one, she could be her sister.

Edited by debraran

I saw an interview where Milo said he grew up in Orange County. I guess that explains his "dudebro" voice, as someone in the unpopular opinions characterized Jack as having. LOL. (Well, the slur also has to be a result of his mouth having dead nerves on one side.)

It would be kind of nice if Milo could pull off the Pittsburgh accent, but then again nobody else is doing it.

Though Tuesday’s episode really honed in on Jack’s alcoholism in his adult life, creatorDan Fogelman noted that the thread continues to inform his arc as the season progresses. “It’s going to be very much about the underbelly of this guy, who still is the fantastic, most perfect husband in the world,” Fogelman told ET. “[But] like all of us, [he] has his demons and that’s very much what his story is this year.”

The more they try to tell me Jack is the most perfect husband in the world, the more I rebel.  Not even close.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2017 at 10:13 AM, Crs97 said:

The more they try to tell me Jack is the most perfect husband in the world, the more I rebel.  Not even close.

But if you're married to him, you won't have to worry about pesky things like making decisions about housing, family planning, or having a career! You'll live like the 50's even though it's the 80's/90's!

• Love 8
On 10/5/2017 at 7:34 PM, methodwriter85 said:

But if you're married to him, you won't have to worry about pesky things like making decisions about housing, family planning, or having a career! You'll live like the 50's even though it's the 80's/90's!

On 10/4/2017 at 10:13 AM, Crs97 said:

I hate the way that he thinks the boys need to be manly and tough, but his daughter is a princess that should only be handled with kid gloves.  He undermines Rebecca in disciplining Kate to the point, that even adult Kate seems to have little respect for her mother, who had the audacity of being thin, attractive, and a good singer.

Kate deserves to be worshiped...why exactly?  I think that Jack believes he married way out of his league and is very insecure about his wife.  He feels if  he lets Rebecca even get a taste of anything outside raising three kids 24/7, she will leave him for something better.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I hate the way that he thinks the boys need to be manly and tough, but his daughter is a princess that should only be handled with kid gloves.  He undermines Rebecca in disciplining Kate to the point, that even adult Kate seems to have little respect for her mother, who had the audacity of being thin, attractive, and a good singer.

Kate deserves to be worshiped...why exactly?  I think that Jack believes he married way out of his league and is very insecure about his wife.  He feels if  he lets Rebecca even get a taste of anything outside raising three kids 24/7, she will leave him for something better.

If you watch a few shows, yeah, he seems perfect, but not if you watch them all. Being a good parent, having fun with the kids is one things, helping with the big decisions and supporting your spouse when the kids are playing favorites is another. Jack favoring Kate a bit, indulging her on the side "once in a while" is a nice memory later, but all the time, it sets up a bad relationship with the other parent. Dad snuck me junk food, Mom was so overbearing with the fruit, Dad let me stay out later, Mom was so strict, Dad said she could make me a costume in 10 minutes, Mom is so insensitive..and on and on.

You would think a mature Kate would see all that, but that's my problem with the characters, none of them, except Randall a little, seem to have left their 17 year old selves. I saw why my Mom did things later in my twenties, definitely thirties, some I agree with now, some I don't, but I understand why. To be so clueless now, seems odd. To say what Kate did to her mother as an adult was heartless especially is she inadvertently caused her Dad's death, let it go. When Dad isn't here to say everything you do is perfect, it's time to grow up.

I wish my dad had the time to play with me more (worked 2 jobs) but he was kind and did indulge on occasion, we were closer than my 3 siblings, but he didn't go against my Mom too often, chaos would have ensued.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, debraran said:

If you watch a few shows, yeah, he seems perfect, but not if you watch them all. Being a good parent, having fun with the kids is one things, helping with the big decisions and supporting your spouse when the kids are playing favorites is another. Jack favoring Kate a bit, indulging her on the side "once in a while" is a nice memory later, but all the time, it sets up a bad relationship with the other parent. Dad snuck me junk food, Mom was so overbearing with the fruit, Dad let me stay out later, Mom was so strict, Dad said she could make me a costume in 10 minutes, Mom is so insensitive..and on and on.

You would think a mature Kate would see all that, but that's my problem with the characters, none of them, except Randall a little, seem to have left their 17 year old selves. I saw why my Mom did things later in my twenties, definitely thirties, some I agree with now, some I don't, but I understand why. To be so clueless now, seems odd. To say what Kate did to her mother as an adult was heartless especially is she inadvertently caused her Dad's death, let it go. When Dad isn't here to say everything you do is perfect, it's time to grow up.

I wish my dad had the time to play with me more (worked 2 jobs) but he was kind and did indulge on occasion, we were closer than my 3 siblings, but he didn't go against my Mom too often, chaos would have ensued.

I was never a daddy's girl, but knew plenty that were.  Most dads indulged them a tiny bit, but it was not anything serious.  However, I did  know one girl whose father would NEVER say no..  Girl got everything she wanted, even if they could not afford it.  She dropped out of college, because "professors were mean", daddy said sure.  Promised to go back or at least finish online...never did.  Can't hold down a job for very long because "employer's are mean".

She is not overweight, but a lot of what I described could be Kate at 28.  No direction...job hopping, no plan in life besides hanging out and eventually working for her successful brother.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

Yes, indulging children or adults leads to big letdowns later. Not many of us go through life with everything handed to us and if it's "made better" by someone all the time, it hurts more. They did show how Kate's birthday party wasn't as popular and Jack sadly said "I can't make it better anymore". I know that feeling, that feeling of wanting to beat up bully's, of wanting to make a hurtful comment go away, but that is life and you do what you can to protect but don't make the bubble too big.

That problem you described was more the dad's but he made it the daughter's. Kind of sad, because we are supposed to make the kids ready for adulthood and in many ways, we keep them babies.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, indulging children or adults leads to big letdowns later. Not many of us go through life with everything handed to us and if it's "made better" by someone all the time, it hurts more. They did show how Kate's birthday party wasn't as popular and Jack sadly said "I can't make it better anymore". I know that feeling, that feeling of wanting to beat up bully's, of wanting to make a hurtful comment go away, but that is life and you do what you can to protect but don't make the bubble too big.

That problem you described was more the dad's but he made it the daughter's. Kind of sad, because we are supposed to make the kids ready for adulthood and in many ways, we keep them babies.

It seemed like the only reason many of the girls showed up to Kate's party was they had a crush on Kevin, who I guess is the most popular boy in school.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, PRgal said:

But much hotter, though.  Seriously, I never thought Jess was hot.  I liked Dean.  And Logan (yes, I like Logan types).

Ugg....hate me some Logan. Dean was the one that got away, The one you want to marry.

I'm guessing that now that it seems like we're getting to Jack's death, the next phase of Jack's storytelling will be Vietnam. They need to do them when they can still make Milo look reasonably like he's in his 20's. I did kind of love that the show clearly didn't want us to see his brother's face in that photo, because he's looking down and it's blurred:

tmp_fgxkqa_a854aeea74da2e13_jack2.png

I don't think he was cast yet. Hell, knowing this show, it might not be his brother at all, but a guy who wore glasses that reminded Jack of his brother, and also happened to have the Pearson last name. Jack's actual brother was a hippie who went to Canada and was never heard from again.

Props to the set designers. They really do make the photos look realistically vintage. (Except for Kevin's crystal clear football reel.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

And Randall will speak of how Jack took them by the Vietnam Memorial on their way back from visiting Howard. It still pains me that Jack didn't/couldn't point out Nicky's name on the...hold on.

We don't see where Jack's memorial service was held. In fact, the shots were deliberately close up and in that sense, "cropped." I"m guessing that the service was held at Arlington. And (yet another) portion of Jack's ashes buried there, with Nicky. "You should always look after your brother." 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Pallas said:

And Randall will speak of how Jack took them by the Vietnam Memorial on their way back from visiting Howard. It still pains me that Jack didn't/couldn't point out Nicky's name on the...hold on.

We don't see where Jack's memorial service was held. In fact, the shots were deliberately close up and in that sense, "cropped." I"m guessing that the service was held at Arlington. And (yet another) portion of Jack's ashes buried there, with Nicky. "You should always look after your brother." 

Had not thought about it until just now, but Jack will be eligible for military honors no matter where the service is.  That's another tear-inducing moment right there.  But yeah, with his brother, you hit on it. 

• Love 1

I met Milo at C2E2 in Chicago yesterday. A very quick photo op, I split the cost with my friend’s wife who wanted to take a photo with him. (I would’ve wanted a photo with Justin Hartley). 

He was very kind and smelled nice. SUPER tiny- cut but tiny! Not tall (I know Mandy Moore is tall, they may put him on a box for certain shots). 

Wanted to share with my Previously.Tv peeps. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

He was very kind and smelled nice. SUPER tiny- cut but tiny! Not tall (I know Mandy Moore is tall, they may put him on a box for certain shots). 

That had me curious so a quick search tells me they are both 5'9".  Sounds like you think he is actually shorter than that? 

22 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

That had me curious so a quick search tells me they are both 5'9".  Sounds like you think he is actually shorter than that? 

No I believe he is 5'9, but in some scenes she looks shorter than him and she does wear heels sometimes. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Does anyone else think it's funny that much of this thread has talked about how Jack treats Rebecca like a 1950's housewife when it turns out we were all wrong because he helps with the dishes?

I thought he was a fun dad when I started watching, but dream husband, IDK. My dad and mom married in the 50's, he was only one working for a while, but my mom was part of every decision he would make, sometimes my mom had the last word. .(Italian) I found his running everything, telling her about what he planned, a bit disconcerting. He undermined her with Kate to the point, he was the "holy one" and she was awful. All the good things she did for the kids and Kate were washed away by ice cream dates or not sticking up for his wife. My dad indulged me too, I adored him for that, but never like Jack did to the point I thought my mother was crazy or wrong. Some fans have lists of all the good things, some have list of the bad but if you like Milo you like him, if you don't you don't.  I felt he discouraged her singing career, punched a guy for no reason, etc. His fear of losing her made her less of a person. I think his romantic ideas were sweet and hard to dislike but my dad's subtle ways, supportive of my Mom was sexy too.

I guess it's all perspective, but I just thought the original hype was too much.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

Right. It's just kind of sad that Rebecca bought into being with Jack because she thought it'd be more of a partnership than the 1950's housewife deal that her mother had with her dad. And we're apparently supposed to handwave everything because he helped with dishes. Okay.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, debraran said:

I thought he was a fun dad when I started watching, but dream husband, IDK. My dad and mom married in the 50's, he was only one working for a while, but my mom was part of every decision he would make, sometimes my mom had the last word. .(Italian) I found his running everything, telling her about what he planned, a bit disconcerting. He undermined her with Kate to the point, he was the "holy one" and she was awful. All the good things she did for the kids and Kate were washed away by ice cream dates or not sticking up for his wife. My dad indulged me too, I adored him for that, but never like Jack did to the point I thought my mother was crazy or wrong. Some fans have lists of all the good things, some have list of the bad but if you like Milo you like him, if you don't you don't.  I felt he discouraged her singing career, punched a guy for no reason, etc. His fear of losing her made her less of a person. I think his romantic ideas were sweet and hard to dislike but my dad's subtle ways, supportive of my Mom was sexy too.

I guess it's all perspective, but I just thought the original hype was too much.

I’m not as enamores with Jack as some viewers, but in the scenes of young Jack without the moustache, Milo looks hot.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2018 at 5:04 AM, debraran said:

On 10/15/2018 at 2:34 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Right. It's just kind of sad that Rebecca bought into being with Jack because she thought it'd be more of a partnership than the 1950's housewife deal that her mother had with her dad. And we're apparently supposed to handwave everything because he helped with dishes. Okay.

Can you imagine if Kate’s son was a teenager and Kate wanted to go on a one month tour and Tobes reacted like Jack did with Rebecca? The ghost of Jack Pearson would come down and haunt Tobes , until he let his “princess” do what she wanted.

I felt Jack’s attitude with Rebecca had to do with his insecurities. It also probably did not help that his best friend told him he married way out of his league. He might be a good dad but he is definitely not my idea of a dream husband.

• Love 2
On 4/8/2018 at 11:41 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I met Milo at C2E2 in Chicago yesterday. A very quick photo op, I split the cost with my friend’s wife who wanted to take a photo with him. (I would’ve wanted a photo with Justin Hartley). 

Wanted to share with my Previously.Tv peeps. 

I just love that you mentioned he smelled nice. Thanks for the info!

• Love 3

Not sure if this the appropriate thread to post this on, if it’s not the moderators can move it. Has any one noticed how many similarities there are between Jack Person and Derek Shepherd. Another one just hit me tonight. They both have these dark hair, dreamy looks and handsomeness going on for them.  They have create kind these unrealistic lead male love interests I them. Obviously they love their respective wives, make this grand gestures and speeches all the time. They are loved by the audience about how much they love their wives and kids. You can see their flaws but accept them because it makes them human. They are driven. They both had untimely deaths, much debated on how it was handled on each show. And both said deaths were kind of big media phenomenons. They have 3 kids, one of them adopted and black, and would try to  make the kids not face any hardship. We saw Jack with Randle on several occasions, Derek learning how to do Zola’s hair, wanting Maggie in her life. I do think if we had seen Derek more around when Zola was older we could have seen more poignant scenes. I am sure there are a lot more similarities, I though off them another time but I don’t seem to recall them at the moment. Although another one that hit me this week and that inspired this post,  both their widows could potential have Alzheimer’s, and these guys won’t be there for it, and I would guess Meredith and Rebecca would have a lot of flashbacks to that time of their lives. Anyhow food for thought, hehehehe. Feel free to add your thoughts, I just had to get it out somewhere because it has been in my head for a while. 

Also it doesn't help with all the promos that Milo and Patrick did together for their movie lol.