Type keyword(s) to search

Randall: Sterling K. Brown

photo fox
  • Start Topic

I kind of loved Beth's reasoning to Randall. If he really and truly wants to pay it forward, they should help someone who is literally going to be wanted by no one, because after you are no longer a cute little kid, your adoption chances become nil.

I kind of loved the adoption storyline on Six Feet Under, where Michael and David take in two black kids around 7 and 11-ish and you slowly saw them become a family, but not in a Brady Bunch way.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7
On 4/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, debraran said:

I watched a show with all the stars "on demand" as an extra after watching all the episodes. Sterling and his TV dad were saying how much they loved the Memphis episode and taking a trip there and ad-libbing a lot, picking shops to go into, etc. What I really found touching was he said, his dad died when he was 10 and they thought he was too young to go to hospital and see him. So when he did this scene with his TV dad, and he had to hold his face and tell him it would be okay, he was with him and his own father in his mind. It was very moving.

Thank you for sharing this. Un-thank you for my wonky mascara after reading this. ;-) I have to say, Sterling K. Brown is just the most beautiful man, outside, obviously, but most definitely & importantly, inside. As I was reading your post, I remembered every second of the good-bye scenes, & he really was truly, genuinely emotional & touched during them. 

I haven't cared about the Emmies for a long time, but I was into them this year, & mostly for SKB. I scared our dog - who unfortunately isn't middle-named after Randall, although, great idea for the next one! - when SKB won, because I was so happy & relieved & just overjoyed. I know, I'm fan-girling, but I am so happy for him, that he's getting recognition that he deserves. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I kind of loved Beth's reasoning to Randall. If he really and truly wants to pay it forward, they should help someone who is literally going to be wanted by no one, because after you are no longer a cute little kid, your adoption chances become nil.

I kind of loved the adoption storyline on Six Feet Under, where Michael and David take in two black kids around 7 and 11-ish and you slowly saw them become a family, but not in a Brady Bunch way.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I had forgotten! LOVED that show. 

• Love 1

I was reading about Jack's death and Randall's hallucination of him building while at the cabin. I wonder if the construction steno book in that bag next to Rebecca's and Randall's dream was connected. Jack was working on something when he died. The scene was mostly about his Mom though and I thought besides his scenes with his bio dad, one of his best acting that year.

• Love 1

Do we know where math genius with perfect test scores went to college? This week we saw his Harvard application and they went to Washington DC for a tour (presumably Georgetown), but I don't remember if we have been told where he actually goes to college....and I assume at some point we will find out if it was affected by Jack's death.

They never mention "Ivy league" on things like that. I wonder if he couldn't do it with his dad dying or wanted to be closer to home, but he could have accepted a year later. Not that important now but a piece of his mental health at the time. 

I thought it was odd that Kate was told "to make a list' by her Mom but it was almost an afterthought. Kevin was the sport star, Randall was the "genius" but how was Kate in school? I guess if average or above average, it might get muted with 2 other siblings going at the same time. I don't think she ever goes though.

If Randal is so eager to learn more about his father, why isn't he tracking down Jesse? His whole search for some other great (female) love of William's life had a twinge of homophobia to me, since it doesn't look like he's tracking down Jesse and getting to known more about William that away.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

If Randal is so eager to learn more about his father, why isn't he tracking down Jesse? His whole search for some other great (female) love of William's life had a twinge of homophobia to me, since it doesn't look like he's tracking down Jesse and getting to known more about William that away.

I took it that he was just intrigued by what was in the heretofore unknown box.  He knew about Jesse, he knew about his birth mother (Laurel?), he had his  poetry, now here was some more stuff that seemed like he was crushing on somebody.  He knows William was bi and he might have been equally curious if the words and drawings had been more on the male side.  Or not.  I think somebody mentioned in another thread that if there was a female love, Randall might have been wondering if he had another sibling out there. 

• Love 2
On 1/20/2018 at 0:49 PM, ShadowFacts said:

I took it that he was just intrigued by what was in the heretofore unknown box.  He knew about Jesse, he knew about his birth mother (Laurel?), he had his  poetry, now here was some more stuff that seemed like he was crushing on somebody.  He knows William was bi and he might have been equally curious if the words and drawings had been more on the male side.  Or not.  I think somebody mentioned in another thread that if there was a female love, Randall might have been wondering if he had another sibling out there. 

I would have been intrigued also but for his family, it's taking over making a living, so balance is needed. They definitely aren't a paycheck to paycheck family but I have the impression Beth makes less than Randall used too.

When Randall is on the couch at Miguel's after the fire, he has what looks like a photo album on his lap. I wonder if he took that because it meant a lot to him (if that is what it is)

this is us 2.jpg

On 3/16/2017 at 10:09 PM, Ryan Chamberlain said:

Is it wrong that I like Randall so much that I named my cat after him? Because, yeah...I did that. (Got the cat in December, his middle name is Randall. LMAO)

I also like Sterling as a person. He seems like a really down to earth guy and I hated hearing that he lost his father young. Because, I share the same experience and know what kind of pain that can bring to someone's life.

Great post. I also like Sterling K Brown. 

But I've been trying to figure out why I don't like or root for Randall the way I did last season. His fundamental personality hasn't changed much--he was an imperfect character even in Season 1-- but everything seems extra this season--especially his flaws. 

Randall has always pursued his desires with a manic passion, and he often disregards others' desires--or never bothers to consider that other people even have desires or will be affected by his choices.

Last season he invited William, a virtual stranger and recovering drug addict, to live in his home with his wife and young daughters. Without discussing it with his wife and young daughters. And on top of that, he allowed Kevin to live with them for an indeterminate amount of time in their already crowded house (did he actually invite Kevin to stay with them? I can't remember).  

Those things did bother me, but not as much as the things he's done so far this season, such as forcing everyone, including the little kids, to attend his Super Bowl party--and actually sitting down to watch the game. A much smaller act, objectively speaking, but it really, really pissed me off for some reason.

--Or when he decided to purchase William's old apartment building before talking to Beth about it. I don't think he'd actually started the purchasing process yet, but I was just as angry as I would have been if he'd already signed the contract and made a down payment. 

--Or when he shut down Beth's input at the first tenant meeting--Beth, the professional urban planner, mind you. As if her opinion and ideas didn't matter one iota. 

--Or when he took a phone call from a tenant during his job interview. If you don't want the job, Randall, then don't go to the friggin interview. There's no need to be rude and unprofessional. 

--And then at Kevin's therapy meeting, he said Kevin wasn't an addict. He was selfish. Well, look in the mirror, Randall. And lick it up, baby. Lick it up. All three of you Pearson kids are selfish beyond belief.

I think the writers are trying to make Randall more flawed, and thus, less saintly than the way he was written in the first season. But the way he's being written now is so extreme, it has made him a much less likeable character.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, topanga said:

--And then at Kevin's therapy meeting, he said Kevin wasn't an addict. He was selfish. Well, look in the mirror, Randall. And lick it up, baby. Lick it up. All three of you Pearson kids are selfish beyond belief.

My problem with that scene is that Randall acted like Kevin was making it up and he was just as attended to as everyone else. Bitch, you knew full well that Rebecca didn't give a shit about Kevin because she was fawning over you. You even taunted Kevin about that to punish him for not being a good brother!

You forget Randall deciding that "foster" meant "adoption" and that he knew better than the social worker.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

My problem with that scene is that Randall acted like Kevin was making it up and he was just as attended to as everyone else. Bitch, you knew full well that Rebecca didn't give a shit about Kevin because she was fawning over you. You even taunted Kevin about that to punish him for not being a good brother!

You forget Randall deciding that "foster" meant "adoption" and that he knew better than the social worker.

Completely agree with this post. I absolutely hated the way Randall dismissed Kevin's addiction. And the apology at the bench did not make up for it IMO, because that was entirely about their childhood situation. I suppose we are to believe Randall has realized Kevin's struggles by now, but I really wish we'd gotten a scene ON screen where Randall acknowledged it.

That bein said, when did he taunt Kevin about their mother? I don't exactly remember that?

• Love 3
On 2/23/2018 at 6:19 PM, GSMHvisitor said:

I absolutely hated the way Randall dismissed Kevin's addiction.

Randall had Kevin living in his house for however many weeks a year ago, and at that time, saw no signs of addiction in someone already in his mid-thirties. Randall had no idea that Kevin had become addicted to opioids after the summer hiatus: no one did. What Randall saw at Sophie's gala was a guy who seemed to be getting drunk as an excuse for blowing up his relationship with Sophie for a second time, as he had previously blown up every other significant relationship in his life, except with his twin sister. What Randall saw in the guy who showed up hungover after driving all night, was an actor between jobs.

For Randall, Kevin's addiction was brand new; Kevin's blaming members of his family for life's frustrations -- again, excepting Kate -- was very very old.  

• Love 3
On 2/21/2018 at 4:49 PM, DollEyes said:

As the one who suggested that SKB host SNL, I'm ecstatic that he's hosting the March 10th episode. The only thing that could make it even better would be if there was a TIU spoof involving a crockpot.

If they do a This is Us sketch, I'll be so mad if Beck Bennett doesn't play Kevin.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Even if you had no idea about their addiction beforehand, when they're IN REHAB isn't the time to accuse them of making it up for attention.  

True, but from Randall's perspective Kevin was in rehab because of a judge ordering it, is that right?  So that may have been in his mind as well as their whole past history. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Even if you had no idea about their addiction beforehand, when they're IN REHAB isn't the time to accuse them of making it up for attention.  

12 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

True, but from Randall's perspective Kevin was in rehab because of a judge ordering it, is that right? 

Court-ordered rehab, to avoid sentencing and a permanent record for drunk driving. A lucky break. And once the full family showed up, Kevin seemed to be in his element, in full performance mode: rehab as Friday night lights. That was before the core family members were asked to separate from their partners and undergo family therapy. (A bait-and-switch I doubt would happen, but that's the story.)

Family therapy goes nowhere if no one says the wrong thing. Especially the half-suspicions that shadow good faith. 

7 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I see that point.  But for me, the way it was written was typical 'bull in a china shop'.  Those weren't half suspicions Randall was voicing, he was (IIRC) angrily claiming he had it figured out and it was that Kevin made up the whole thing.

Absolutely: Randall was not only wrong and bull-headed; he was wrong to say it during Kevin's time for holding the floor during the session. Randall was being aggressive, once he had no Beth-to-be-more-tolerant-than, and once he felt Kevin was laying into their mother. I just wanted to suggest how his reaction had some roots in history.

I'm not sure how much adult Kevin and Randall ever interacted. To me, his angry claim that Kevin was an attention-seeker was at least as much about their childhoods and teen years: the era Kevin had evoked. 

• Love 1
On 2/23/2018 at 1:33 PM, topanga said:

But I've been trying to figure out why I don't like or root for Randall the way I did last season. His fundamental personality hasn't changed much--he was an imperfect character even in Season 1-- but everything seems extra this season--especially his flaws. 

I'm kind of in the exact same boat, in that I know I feel differently about Randall this season compared to last season, but I have some guesses as to why that is. 

Randall has always pursued his desires with a manic passion, and he often disregards others' desires--or never bothers to consider that other people even have desires or will be affected by his choices.

Last season he invited William, a virtual stranger and recovering drug addict, to live in his home with his wife and young daughters. Without discussing it with his wife and young daughters. And on top of that, he allowed Kevin to live with them for an indeterminate amount of time in their already crowded house (did he actually invite Kevin to stay with them? I can't remember).  

Those things did bother me, but not as much as the things he's done so far this season, such as forcing everyone, including the little kids, to attend his Super Bowl party--and actually sitting down to watch the game. A much smaller act, objectively speaking, but it really, really pissed me off for some reason.

Very true. As it was pointed out by Kevin in the therapy session, Randall's mania and inability to talk to his wife about major decisions before he goes through with them is a big part of who he's been since last season. Yes, Randall and Beth do have a functioning relationship, and they do communicate. But Randall has definitely taken on the Jack Trait, where these big gestures are made first by him and then consulting his family after. Randall's decision to take William in is similar to some of his actions this season, but there's still some sort of difference: I guess, with William, he didn't necessarily have the idea that he'd ask William to move in. It kind of just happened. He confronted William and he planned to leave it at that, but then he stumbled into all of that. Kevin kind of invited himself into Randall's life, so that was more about Randall finding it hard to say no. 

I think, in this season, Randall is a lot more selfish with his actions. Last season, it wasn't as much out of selfishness than it was due to his anxiety and trying to deal with William. He was manic, but he wasn't manic to the point of him being unable to see things around him. 

--Or when he decided to purchase William's old apartment building before talking to Beth about it. I don't think he'd actually started the purchasing process yet, but I was just as angry as I would have been if he'd already signed the contract and made a down payment. 

This definitely annoyed me. I think it's because it's clear that Randall isn't really doing this building project as a way to help them, but more of a way to help himself. He can say that he also purchased the building to help Beth, but it was a spontaneous decision and he never sat to consider the consequences of his actions. 

--Or when he shut down Beth's input at the first tenant meeting--Beth, the professional urban planner, mind you. As if her opinion and ideas didn't matter one iota. 

Again, yeah, completely selfish and all just a ploy to mask his grief. He wants to be involved in something, especially after quitting his job, but he doesn't know what that is and he's not the type of person to sit around. He has to be doing something, and that has created his biggest flaws within himself. He thinks he knows best and how to run everything, when he's really just as lost as anyone else. 

Each Pearson is so incredibly selfish and they're also something else. For Randall, that something else is condescending or maybe pretentious. He showed that in the therapy session. In that moment, he was not just selfish, but thinking that he was better than Kevin. Yes, Kevin can be completely selfish, but I think Randall's words about not thinking Kevin is an addict will come to bite him. He hasn't taken back those words, and I truly believe that he meant what he said. 

But it also makes sense, because he hasn't really gotten the chance to really see Kevin struggle. So, for me, I know that Randall's words from therapy are going to make a comeback. It's just a matter of when and in what form.

On 27.2.2018 at 1:45 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Each Pearson is so incredibly selfish and they're also something else. For Randall, that something else is condescending or maybe pretentious. He showed that in the therapy session. In that moment, he was not just selfish, but thinking that he was better than Kevin. Yes, Kevin can be completely selfish, but I think Randall's words about not thinking Kevin is an addict will come to bite him. He hasn't taken back those words, and I truly believe that he meant what he said. 

But it also makes sense, because he hasn't really gotten the chance to really see Kevin struggle. So, for me, I know that Randall's words from therapy are going to make a comeback. It's just a matter of when and in what form.

That is an interesting thought. It actually bothered me a lot that Randall's cruel words were never rectified. How do you think it will come back to bite him? Directly in connection with Kevin? Like Kevin will relapse or seriously struggle and Randall will see it first hand and be devastated?

What’s your opinion: has Randall changed as a character, or am I just getting tired of his self-absorbed, self-important, manic, and impulsive behavior?

Now, I still like Randall: he's smart, handsome, (usually), funny, I love his relationship with Beth, and he generally seems to care about people. But he doesn't listen to other people much: not their ideas, their thoughts, or their feelings--especially if they don't align with his. When he gets an idea he runs with it and doesn't care how if affects other people in his life. Examples: inviting William to live with them, inviting Kevin to stay with them, buying the apartment building, moving forward with the fostering of Deja despite Beth’s concerns (although she ultimately agreed to it), and now running for City Council  

Beth is the only person who can reel him in and make him do a little self-reflexion, and she’s only successful some of the time.

I do wonder if Randall’s anxiety is more than just anxiety  Going back to the Thanksgiving episode in Season 1, Randall’s behavior can seem classically manic at times.

There’s no more mention of whether he’s still in therapy  I’d hoped he would’ve mentioned it when Toby opened up about his personal struggles with depression, but that was the one time Randall chose not to talk about himself  I wonderf if that was deliberate. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, topanga said:

What’s your opinion: has Randall changed as a character, or am I just getting tired of his self-absorbed, self-important, manic, and impulsive behavior?

For me it's the latter and I guess I'm growing tired because going three years in and Randall is still the same with no change. For me it seems Randall is growing bolder with doing what he wants without considerations for anyone else. First season, bringing in William without consulting Beth. Understandable and temporary. The second season adopting Deja even though in season one he and Beth agreed they were done with kids. Annoying with no consideration if this is what Beth wanted and going against their initial plan. Buying William's building. The purchase will have ramifications on their finances in the present and future. Now Randall wants to play poor man superhero to Williams neighborhood affecting his family's life again. 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, topanga said:

I don't think he's changed or grown much. Growth for Randall, IMO, would be realizing that he doesn't know everything and can't be everyone's savior. I'd like to see him focus on his wife and daughters (including Deja, since Randall and Beth are "all in" with her now), and figure out what he wants to do professionally that makes him happy and isn't about being a hero to someone else. 

• Love 10
21 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

For me it's the latter and I guess I'm growing tired because going three years in and Randall is still the same with no change. For me it seems Randall is growing bolder with doing what he wants without considerations for anyone else. First season, bringing in William without consulting Beth. Understandable and temporary. The second season adopting Deja even though in season one he and Beth agreed they were done with kids. Annoying with no consideration if this is what Beth wanted and going against their initial plan. Buying William's building. The purchase will have ramifications on their finances in the present and future. Now Randall wants to play poor man superhero to Williams neighborhood affecting his family's life again. 

21 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think he's changed or grown much. Growth for Randall, IMO, would be realizing that he doesn't know everything and can't be everyone's savior. I'd like to see him focus on his wife and daughters (including Deja, since Randall and Beth are "all in" with her now), and figure out what he wants to do professionally that makes him happy and isn't about being a hero to someone else. 

23 hours ago, topanga said:

Now, I still like Randall: he's smart, handsome, (usually), funny, I love his relationship with Beth, and he generally seems to care about people. But he doesn't listen to other people much: not their ideas, their thoughts, or their feelings--especially if they don't align with his. When he gets an idea he runs with it and doesn't care how if affects other people in his life. Examples: inviting William to live with them, inviting Kevin to stay with them, buying the apartment building, moving forward with the fostering of Deja despite Beth’s concerns (although she ultimately agreed to it), and now running for City Council  

Beth is the only person who can reel him in and make him do a little self-reflexion, and she’s only successful some of the time.

I do wonder if Randall’s anxiety is more than just anxiety  Going back to the Thanksgiving episode in Season 1, Randall’s behavior can seem classically manic at times.

There’s no more mention of whether he’s still in therapy  I’d hoped he would’ve mentioned it when Toby opened up about his personal struggles with depression, but that was the one time Randall chose not to talk about himself  I wonderf if that was deliberate. 

I think he has actually devolved...if that is a word. After being raised by St. Jack and then meeting St. William he has doubled up on his efforts to save the world with little thought to his wife and biological children. Why the hell is Randall putting so much effort into his pop's old neighborhood when there are plenty of neighborhoods in the NJ/NYC area that really could use his help.

• Love 7

I feel like my intelligence is being insulted by the writers who are trying to sell the idea that Randall can run for council of a city and state Randall isn't even a resident of. Seriously? I guess he's going to pretend he's been living at his apartment building for the past 6 months?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 8
On 10/10/2018 at 11:30 AM, topanga said:

I think Randall has changed drastically from season one.

They've flanderized Randall, somewhat - small aspects of his character in the early episodes have been wildly exaggerated to the point that they're taking over his personality.

In season one, he could be a bit nerdy, but he was also pretty slick. He knew how to project an image of authority at a very elite workplace with lots of big egos, and he could be very imposing.

Now they've exaggerated his nerdiness to the point that he's a complete social doofus, who makes an ass of himself every time he tries to look cool, but inexplicably can't accept that he needs to "slow his roll."

In season one, he was somewhat impulsive. For example, when he met William, he invited him over without discussing it with Beth first. But right after he offered the invitation, he realized his mistake and apologized to Beth, because he genuinely cared about her feelings.

Now Randall does whatever crazy thing pops into his head in his desperate quest to be a Jack/William hybrid, and it never even occurs to him that his plans will impact his family.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I think Randall has changed drastically from season one.

They've flanderized Randall, somewhat - small aspects of his character in the early episodes have been wildly exaggerated to the point that they're taking over his personality.

In season one, he could be a bit nerdy, but he was also pretty slick. He knew how to project an image of authority at a very elite workplace with lots of big egos, and he could be very imposing.

Now they've exaggerated his nerdiness to the point that he's a complete social doofus, who makes an ass of himself every time he tries to look cool, but inexplicably can't accept that he needs to "slow his roll."

In season one, he was somewhat impulsive. For example, when he met William, he invited him over without discussing it with Beth first. But right after he offered the invitation, he realized his mistake and apologized to Beth, because he genuinely cared about her feelings.

Now Randall does whatever crazy thing pops into his head in his desperate quest to be a Jack/William hybrid, and it never even occurs to him that his plans will impact his family.

I wonder if they changed him a little or this is setup for another breakdown. (although with Toby it would be too much)  His impulsiveness and lack of checking with his family is a lot like Jack but grows weary as he gets older. The plane trips, the impulsive running for office, buying buildings, etc. I'm tired just watching him on TV, how Beth must feel, and his kids, I hope will be explored more.

• Love 2

Sterling K. Brown will be on the next episode of "Finding Your Roots With Henry Louis Gates Jr." My PBS station will air it Tuesday at 8 PM, but check your local schedule.

• Love 4

Randall won't be the first Black president, but he would be the first adopted president. And as far as I know, the first world leader to have been adopted as an infant, by parents from outside the family. 

• Love 1

IRL Randall’s history of panic attacks culminating in his complete breakdown in S1(?) would come to light and Philly city councilman would be as high an office as he could get. A POTUS needs to be more than ironclad emotionally.