Type keyword(s) to search

Randall: Sterling K. Brown

photo fox
  • Start Topic

Randall's storyline as an adoptee finding his bio dad is so compelling. Even if William is on the up and up, it still introduces great conflict into  the family. 

My siblings are all adopted and have each gone through their own journey in relation to their biological families. It's really reductive to suggest, as I saw in another thread, that someone should just be satisfied if their adoptive family was great. There are so many issues tied to being adopted...especially for transracial adoptees. One sibling mentioned how amazing it was to be in a room where people had his features. Little things you might take for granted, but mean a lot. 

Edited by Bean421
  • Love 12
40 minutes ago, Bean421 said:

Randall's storyline as an adoptee finding his bio dad is so compelling. Even if William is on the up and up, it still introduces great conflict into  the family. 

My siblings have are all adopted and have each gone through their own journey in relation to their biological families. It's really reductive to suggest, as I saw in another thread, that someone should just be satisfied if their adoptive family was great. There are so many issues tied to being adopted...especially for transracial adoptees. One sibling mentioned how amazing it was to be in a room where people had his features. Little things you might take for granted, but mean a lot. 

I would love to see how people in the 80s dealt with transracial adoptees - my husband and I are hoping to adopt from Vietnam (technically, we are adopting transculturally, since I'm ethnic Chinese and DH is Jewish/Eastern European.

Lauren Graham was my series commitment to Parenthood. Sterling K. Brown is enough for this to be my show as long as it's on the air. Some actors just can not let me down, and he is one of them. I love this guy, and he really deserved his Emmy win. All in.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, atomationage said:

I think interracial adoptions were more common in the 80s than now. 

Of black kids, though?  I thought Asian kids (South Korea and Vietnam, anyway - I know a guy who was adopted from South Korea around that time - he's now a dad to an adoptee from Vietnam!) were more common back then. 

14 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Of black kids, though? 

Yes, it was the "crack baby" era.  Religious white people thought they were saving the children.   After that  decade came the time when interracial adoptions were more frowned upon for taking the children away from extended families who could help them, and it was made to seem more like kidnapping.  

• Love 2
On 9/30/2016 at 6:32 PM, Bean421 said:

My siblings are all adopted and have each gone through their own journey in relation to their biological families. It's really reductive to suggest, as I saw in another thread, that someone should just be satisfied if their adoptive family was great. There are so many issues tied to being adopted...especially for transracial adoptees. One sibling mentioned how amazing it was to be in a room where people had his features. Little things you might take for granted, but mean a lot. 

His story is the most interesting and relatable to me. I was never formally adopted, I was raised by my aunt. I know the feeling all too well of struggling with why you were given up. Not all kids who were adopted/raised by guardians feel this way obviously, but some do. It's funny that every person I've met in rl that was adopted or raised in foster care has some element of this. But then I read comments online of adopted kids who never had a curiousity/need to connect with a birth parent.

I would imagine the need would be even greater if you grew up in a home when everyone looked different than you. I really sympathize with Randall apparently going to school with a bunch of white kids, who treat him differently.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, hippielamb said:

His story is the most interesting and relatable to me. I was never formally adopted, I was raised by my aunt. I know the feeling all too well of struggling with why you were given up. Not all kids who were adopted/raised by guardians feel this way obviously, but some do. It's funny that every person I've met in rl that was adopted or raised in foster care has some element of this. But then I read comments online of adopted kids who never had a curiousity/need to connect with a birth parent.

I would imagine the need would be even greater if you grew up in a home when everyone looked different than you. I really sympathize with Randall apparently going to school with a bunch of white kids, who treat him differently.

In our adoptive parent "training" seminar, we're taught never to say that birth parents "give up" their birth kids.  Do you think it's "better" this way?  That they made an "adoption plan" for the child?  Or is it just sugarcoating/being PC?

1 minute ago, PRgal said:

In our adoptive parent "training" seminar, we're taught never to say that birth parents "give up" their birth kids.  Do you think it's "better" this way?  That they made an "adoption plan" for the child?  Or is it just sugarcoating/being PC?

I understand the logic. Instead of implying that your birth parents didn't want you, it's more compassionate to say that your parents couldn't take care of you and made a plan for your future. But to me, that doesn't stop a kid from feeling unwanted by his or her birth parents. And don't the birth parents (the birth mother, at least) sign documents terminating their parental rights? In other words, they legally give up their parental rights.

So, yeah. I think it's sugarcoating/PC bulls*** But for the people who taught you that in the seminar, their hearts were in the right place. 

I have heard adopted children and adults say that it meant a lot to them for their parents to say that they desperately wanted a child, "And I chose YOU." --Is it still PC crap? I don't know, but the kids who heard it growing up remember those words fondly. 

• Love 4
On 10/5/2016 at 1:56 PM, PRgal said:

I think it is better. I was speaking from my experience of 40+ years ago. Finding out that your parent gave you up is a tough pill to swallow. Of course as an adult, i know that people who choose adoption are trying to give the child the best possible life. 

• Love 2

Sterling K. Brown is amazing. His Randall is a complex character, who can be heartbreaking one moment, hilarious the next. Randall is a rarity on prime-time TV-a strong, smart, successful and sexy man of color with a great family. He's one of the best things about a great show. 

On a lighter note, I would love to see SKB host SNL. He's an Emmy-winning actor on a hit NBC show who can do comedy as well as drama. 

• Love 9

This show is my first exposure to SKB but I love him.  He's fantastic.  The parts of the show that center on Randall and his family are my favorites, every episode. He has fantastic delivery and he can say everything with his face and eyes.  

• Love 4

Randall's oldest is 10-ish and Randall is 36.  26-27 is a bit young to have kids in his circle (at least his professional circle).  Unless, of course, Beth is a few years older.  I'm just looking at my peers - we are either child-free or have kids who are, at most, around the same age as the younger daughter (6-ish?).  A few of us just had our first, but I'd say the average age is around 3. 

15 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Randall's oldest is 10-ish and Randall is 36.  26-27 is a bit young to have kids in his circle (at least his professional circle).  Unless, of course, Beth is a few years older.  I'm just looking at my peers - we are either child-free or have kids who are, at most, around the same age as the younger daughter (6-ish?).  A few of us just had our first, but I'd say the average age is around 3. 

When Beth told William about Randall temporarily losing his vision, didn't she say he was 28 and they'd just had their first child? It does seem young for professionals, but if Randall was already making good money by that time, they already had the house, and been together since they were 19, it doesn't seem that unusual.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

When Beth told William about Randall temporarily losing his vision, didn't she say he was 28 and they'd just had their first child? It does seem young for professionals, but if Randall was already making good money by that time, they already had the house, and been together since they were 19, it doesn't seem that unusual.

I suppose - especially if Randall skipped a grade or two (considering we find out he tests as gifted next week).  He could have finished high school at 16, then college in three years (thanks to AP classes and, perhaps, summer school), meaning he was in the workforce around 1999.  Most schools won't consider you if you've been in the workforce fewer than two years, so if he started an MBA in 2001 or 2002, he would have been out by 2004 or 2005...That's based on my math, anyway... :)

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2016 at 1:06 PM, Indy said:

This show is my first exposure to SKB but I love him.  He's fantastic.  The parts of the show that center on Randall and his family are my favorites, every episode. He has fantastic delivery and he can say everything with his face and eyes.  

I think SKB and Randall are a lot alike. Recently I was listening to a podcast interview with SKB, and he mentioned going to see a Disney movie (I forget which one) with his five-year-old son. He said they were both crying by the end of the movie.

Aww, I'm a sucker for a sensitive man. 

• Love 4
On 10/26/2016 at 1:53 PM, PRgal said:

I suppose on average it is young-ish in certain professional circles. But he and Beth have been together so long. While they might not be in the majority, it does make sense for a couple who's been together through the traditional college-age years. 

On 10/25/2016 at 1:06 PM, Indy said:

My first exposure was Army Wives. Then I saw him accept an Emmy for his work on the OJ Simpson show, which I've never seen. I was happy to see him in this role. He is talented and definitely worth watching. 

On 11/7/2016 at 3:38 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

My first exposure was Army Wives. Then I saw him accept an Emmy for his work on the OJ Simpson show, which I've never seen. I was happy to see him in this role. He is talented and definitely worth watching. 

You have got to watch the People vs. OJ Simpson, great series and Sterling K. Brown is outstanding. He deserved that Emmy.

Watch Sterling tear up in response to his SAG nomination: http://tvline.com/2016/12/14/sterling-k-brown-sag-awards-nominations-response-video/

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

This show was my first introduction to Mr Brown. Very impressed with his ability. 

On Monday, November 07, 2016 at 3:38 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

I suppose on average it is young-ish in certain professional circles. But he and Beth have been together so long. While they might not be in the majority, it does make sense for a couple who's been together through the traditional college-age years. 

Yeah, they've been together since college. If they were married right after college, that still gives them a few years as a couple before having kids. 

On 11/7/2016 at 3:38 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

It's so good.  So, so, so, so good.  Here's a taste:

• Love 4

I thought I was watching it a few months ago and then realized about 8 hours in it was an ESPN one called OJ: Made in America.  It was fine but I was like, "This is what all the buzz is about?"

31 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I would love if they would flashback to Beth and Randall's college years. You can just tell it was a very sweet love story. They could find some good actors for it, and we'd have late 90's/Y2K nostalgia.

They can use Sterling and Susan, and use make-up, wigs, and lighting to make them appear 20ish.  

Randall & Beth's story won't have the same punch without them in the roles.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

They can use Sterling and Susan, and use make-up, wigs, and lighting to make them appear 20ish.

If we can suspend disbelief for Miguel and Rebecca's old age makeup, we can totally see Beth as a 21 year old. Randall may be harder to age down, only because he is already playing younger (Sterling is 40). But I'll take what I can get!

Turns out Justin (Kevin) and Milo (Jack) are both 39 playing 36. Only Chrissy (Kate) is actually 36 out of the 4. 

The youngest adult in the cast is playing the matriarch. Only in Hollywood is 32 year old Mandy Moore the grandma! 

• Love 6
On 10/26/2016 at 2:14 PM, PRgal said:

I suppose - especially if Randall skipped a grade or two (considering we find out he tests as gifted next week).  He could have finished high school at 16, then college in three years (thanks to AP classes and, perhaps, summer school), meaning he was in the workforce around 1999.  Most schools won't consider you if you've been in the workforce fewer than two years, so if he started an MBA in 2001 or 2002, he would have been out by 2004 or 2005...That's based on my math, anyway... :)

There's also the possibility Randall, like many adoptees, was in a hurry to have a flesh-and-blood relative. That might even be explored later.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

If we can suspend disbelief for Miguel and Rebecca's old age makeup, we can totally see Beth as a 21 year old. Randall may be harder to age down, only because he is already playing younger (Sterling is 40). But I'll take what I can get!

Turns out Justin (Kevin) and Milo (Jack) are both 39 playing 36. Only Chrissy (Kate) is actually 36 out of the 4. 

The youngest adult in the cast is playing the matriarch. Only in Hollywood is 32 year old Mandy Moore the grandma! 

Milo is also playing mid-40s and even early 50s in some episodes.  I was expecting them to pad him up (especially in the episode where the kids are in high school), but there wasn't much of a dad bod.

15 hours ago, PRgal said:

Milo is also playing mid-40s and even early 50s in some episodes.  I was expecting them to pad him up (especially in the episode where the kids are in high school), but there wasn't much of a dad bod.

Oh, there are hot dads. I'm fine with him looking that way. I do get why his age works for playing Jack, of course. He plays more than just 36. 

18 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

NGL, if all they did was have Sterling not wear glasses and gave Susan bangs, I'd definitely accept them playing 20ish Randall & Beth.

• Love 1

I'd never seen Sterling K. Brown prior to this show and the moment I fell in love with him was in the first episode after he angrily confronted William, and when William invited him inside he said in a small and almost comical (in an effective way) voice "okay."  It was such great moment.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'd never seen Sterling K. Brown prior to this show and the moment I fell in love with him was in the first episode after he angrily confronted William, and when William invited him inside he said in a small and almost comical (in an effective way) voice "okay."  It was such great moment.

Then he "storms off" and comes right back "do you want to meet your grandchildren?" I was like, this character is perfect. 

First time I saw SKB was in Our Idiot Brother as Paul Rudd's character's parole officer. I thought he was the guy from The Wire, but he had this sparkle in his eyes so I knew he couldn't be Michael K Williams. I normally don't remember small roles like who played a parole officer, but I didn't have to imdb it. He is that good!

• Love 2

I'm a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so I'm excited for this movie anyway but this report today makes it a little sweeter.  The cast for that film just keeps getting better and better!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sterling-k-brown-joins-marvels-black-panther-961163

Sterling K Brown, who is up for a Golden Globe this weekend for his work on People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, has joined the cast of Marvel Studios’ Black Panther.

Ryan Coogler is directing the project, which will star Chadwick Boseman in the title role. Michael B. Jordan, Forest Whitaker, Lupita Nyong’o, Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke and Florence Kasumba are among those on the call sheet.

Brown will play a character named N’Jobu, a figure from T’Challa aka Black Panther’s past, according to Marvel, which made the announcement Thursday.

• Love 2

When Randall was a newly discovered abandoned infant, was he tested for drugs? I don't recall this being mentioned and don't know which episode it might have been. These days an infant of unknown history would be tested because they don't know what the mother might have taken, but maybe testing was not usual then.

28 minutes ago, Driad said:

When Randall was a newly discovered abandoned infant, was he tested for drugs? I don't recall this being mentioned and don't know which episode it might have been. These days an infant of unknown history would be tested because they don't know what the mother might have taken, but maybe testing was not usual then.

36 years ago, it wasn't done routinely, the technology wasn't as widely available or accessible.  Drug testing has come a long way since then.

• Love 1

When Randall took his shirt off in last night's episode, Dayyuummmnn!!! Sterling K Brown is ripped. Those abs--hello! I know Randall is a runner, but is it okay to be slightly disappointed that he doesn't have a little bit of a dad bod? SKB may be too vain for that, however. Or maybe he was already ripped. 

• Love 2
On 12/18/2016 at 1:59 PM, Tiger said:

NGL, if all they did was have Sterling not wear glasses and gave Susan bangs, I'd definitely accept them playing 20ish Randall & Beth.

He looked pretty young in that OJ clip.  He also looked young on the set as himself.

I marathoned this show over the weekend and I find most of the storylines fairly underwhelming but I just wanted to voice my love for Sterling K Brown and Randall as a character because despite my general meh-ness on the show, especially my annoyance at how the writers have handled Kate and Rebecca, Randall's story is easily the most compelling and to me, features the strongest actors in the cast too. I know SKB from People vs OJ so I knew he could play quiet intensity really well but what really strikes me about him as Randall is his comedic timing. He's got it in spades. He deserves all the love he's getting on this show. 

• Love 4

I love Randall, but I hope Beth tells him "Hell, no" about adopting a third child, or at the very least, tells him that if he's going to do it, he better plan for her to be making a return to working.

I could actually see Randall doing the Mr. Mom thing.

If Beth decides that she wants to put aside all of her ambitions to be a full-time Mommy to another baby, I'm going to hurl.

I wonder if they'll adopt a black baby, or perhaps an Indian one? Lion was awesome.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I love Randall, but I hope Beth tells him "Hell, no" about adopting a third child, or at the very least, tells him that if he's going to do it, he better plan for her to be making a return to working.

If Beth decides that she wants to put aside all of her ambitions to be a full-time Mommy to another baby, I'm going to hurl.

I wonder if they'll adopt a black baby, or perhaps an Indian one? Lion was awesome.

My guess is, if they go down this road, Randall will be Mr. Mom.  Beth has already said that she is wanting to go back to work and, as a lawyer, I'm sure she makes a good living working full-time.

Plus, this will make it easier for Randall to completely intertwined in any Kate or Keven drama (rolling eyes...)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't know how easy it would be for the Pearsons to adopt from India (I assume that is what you mean.  There aren't many kids of Indian/South Asian descent available in the US) if they are going to do this realistically.  Families of Indian descent are given preference over other ethnicities and couples have to be mentally and emotionally stable.  This is a list of requirements from an agency in Canada. Some of the requirements aren't from the Canadian/Ontario government but that of India, so it would apply to all international applicants. 

Is it wrong that I like Randall so much that I named my cat after him? Because, yeah...I did that. (Got the cat in December, his middle name is Randall. LMAO)

I also like Sterling as a person. He seems like a really down to earth guy and I hated hearing that he lost his father young. Because, I share the same experience and know what kind of pain that can bring to someone's life.

• Love 6

Ryan, the best part of your story is that your cat has a middle name!  Our dog has one as well. :-)

I am sorry for your loss.  I was 30 when I lost my dad.  Can't imagine how much worse if I had been younger.  Sending a hug.

• Love 2
On 1/10/2017 at 3:30 PM, doodlebug said:

36 years ago, it wasn't done routinely, the technology wasn't as widely available or accessible.  Drug testing has come a long way since then.

I binge-watched the first 7 shows so I might have missed something, but was Randall's adoption glossed over? No mention of how they did it, Rebecca was so worried about losing him because of the "fire house adoption" they had. He must of needed legal papers to go to school etc.  They mentioned they changed his name, but I don't remember any flashbacks to that time.

And although I know the show wouldn't be the show unless a triplet died, they didn't do C-Sections for multiple births back then? Twins as I had, aren't as difficult, but delivering more, especially if 2 shared a sac, can be very iffy. It was a flash back to see them smoking back then, a vague memory of when I first started working at a hospital but they quickly changed it to no smoking anywhere.

I really like the show, but Randall's family and storyline with William was what really had me hooked. I loved every moment with him and was glad he'd be in some flashbacks next season.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I binge-watched the first 7 shows so I might have missed something, but was Randall's adoption glossed over? No mention of how they did it, Rebecca was so worried about losing him because of the "fire house adoption" they had. He must of needed legal papers to go to school etc.  They mentioned they changed his name, but I don't remember any flashbacks to that time.

And although I know the show wouldn't be the show unless a triplet died, they didn't do C-Sections for multiple births back then? Twins as I had, aren't as difficult, but delivering more, especially if 2 shared a sac, can be very iffy. It was a flash back to see them smoking back then, a vague memory of when I first started working at a hospital but they quickly changed it to no smoking anywhere.

I really like the show, but Randall's family and storyline with William was what really had me hooked. I loved every moment with him and was glad he'd be in some flashbacks next season.

They totally glossed over how a couple who had just had two kids of their own, who had never contemplated adoption, who had never undergone the assessments required, where the wife didn't even participate in the initial decision; were allowed to take home a third newborn.  Even 36 years ago, adoptions were far more complicated than the show indicated.  Not to mention, even back then, a baby who was abandoned would've been placed in foster care while the authorities searched for the parents and the legal process to make that child available for adoption undertaken.

I'm an OB/GYN and, back in that era, I saw two vaginal triplet deliveries, so they did happen.  In both instances, the attending physician was an older doc, very experienced in deliveries, especially breeches, which happens a lot with multiples.  Nowadays, everyone would just do a section, but on the show, at that time, with that doctor; it was quite plausible.  As far as two babies in the same sac, they would have to be identical.  Since Kevin and Kate are fraternal, they couldn't have been monoamniotic (same sac).  it's also extremely rare since, many times, the two babies become entangled in one another's cords, leading to the death or one or the other.  I've only seen it a couple times in twins who survived.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

They totally glossed over how a couple who had just had two kids of their own, who had never contemplated adoption, who had never undergone the assessments required, where the wife didn't even participate in the initial decision; were allowed to take home a third newborn.  Even 36 years ago, adoptions were far more complicated than the show indicated.  Not to mention, even back then, a baby who was abandoned would've been placed in foster care while the authorities searched for the parents and the legal process to make that child available for adoption undertaken.

I'm an OB/GYN and, back in that era, I saw two vaginal triplet deliveries, so they did happen.  In both instances, the attending physician was an older doc, very experienced in deliveries, especially breeches, which happens a lot with multiples.  Nowadays, everyone would just do a section, but on the show, at that time, with that doctor; it was quite plausible.  As far as two babies in the same sac, they would have to be identical.  Since Kevin and Kate are fraternal, they couldn't have been monoamniotic (same sac).  it's also extremely rare since, many times, the two babies become entangled in one another's cords, leading to the death or one or the other.  I've only seen it a couple times in twins who survived.

Yes, when I had twins, I had them vaginally and my doc (older) had a knack of doing many of them without issue but I was prepared either way. I did hear of a woman with twins in my condo complex who lost one with umbilical cord strangulation but it was before birth and never spoken of, so I'm not sure of the details.

I just thought it was odd, I know it's a show, but they should try to have some authenticity in that area. I worked at a large hospital in CT  and even back in the 60's/70's, can't imagine a baby being brought there and given to a couple with twins of all things. ; )  I can suspend reality for entertainment but this was a bit much. If she said he was a foster child and then when no on claimed him, he was theirs, it would be more believable.

Now in previews, Randall is mentioning adoption. We will see how that goes, but it wont be as easy I'm sure .

1 minute ago, debraran said:

Yes, when I had twins, I had them vaginally and my doc (older) had a knack of doing many of them without issue but I was prepared either way. I did hear of a woman with twins in my condo complex who lost one with umbilical cord strangulation but it was before birth and never spoken of, so I'm not sure of the details.

I just thought it was odd, I know it's a show, but they should try to have some authenticity in that area. I worked at a large hospital in CT  and even back in the 60's/70's, can't imagine a baby being brought there and given to a couple with twins of all things. ; )  I can suspend reality for entertainment but this was a bit much. If she said he was a foster child and then when no one claimed him, he was theirs, it would be more believable.

Now in previews, Randall is mentioning adoption. We will see how that goes, but it wont be as easy I'm sure .

Even in foster care, the parents would need to be certified. Unless they didn't do that then. 

9 hours ago, debraran said:

I agree. That's what hooked me on this show. William and Randall's reconnecting had my heart. 

• Love 2

I watched a show with all the stars "on demand" as an extra after watching all the episodes. Sterling and his TV dad were saying how much they loved the Memphis episode and taking a trip there and ad-libbing a lot, picking shops to go into, etc. What I really found touching was he said, his dad died when he was 10 and they thought he was too young to go to hospital and see him. So when he did this scene with his TV dad, and he had to hold his face and tell him it would be okay, he was with him and his own father in his mind. It was very moving.

• Love 8